Sarah Carerra - 3.13 - Carerra Business

Printer-friendly version
I felt a tear roll down my cheek. The solemn tone of his words told me everything I needed to know. Sarah Carerra's career had come to an end.

Sarah Carerra 3: Concerto in A-
Chapter 3.13 - Carerra Business
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2012 Megan Campbell
Released: May 7, 2012

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 3: Concerto in A-

Chapter 3.13 - Carerra Business

Wednesday was a blur.

I remember waking up. I remember Dad driving us to school. I remember some of my classes but I didn’t remember anything that was taught. But for the most part all I could really remember was how tired I was.

When Dad had come into my room to remind that I had promised to go to school today, the alarm clock beside my bed told me that I had only climbed into bed two hours earlier.

I vowed then and there that I wouldn't perform again on a school night unless I could guarantee that I'd get a good night's sleep. I knew Dad wouldn't let me skip school just because I'd performed the night before.

It was with great relief that I crashed into bed right after dinner.

When I woke up Thursday morning I was much more rested. School went by fairly slowly, as I tried to wade through the boredom that would only be alleviated by Saturday's concert. Since I was performing in Los Angeles again, I'd get to take Emily and Ethan, or more specifically, Chloe and Xander, with me. Ethan had been working with Emily to create a new look for Xander, and I was eagerly anticipating what they had decided upon.

I was unsuccessfully trying to get Ethan to tell me about the new Xander as we walked to Chorus. Suddenly I was shouldered hard while we walked down the hall, and I almost careened into a set of lockers. I shook my head, looking up fast enough to see the sneer on Jared Lumbart's face before he turned and disappeared into the crowd.

I struggled then, trying to figure out if this was a good thing or not. On the one hand he had assaulted me once again, but on the other hand it had been very mild compared to what he had done before. It was possible that he was finally realizing that confronting me was a bad idea, even if he couldn't fully leave me alone.

I grabbed Ethan's arm immediately, stopping him from charging after Jared. I knew Jared was still upset with me, but I was beginning to hope that things would improve somewhat.

Chorus was strained because of the incident. Ethan wanted to kill him, and Jane and I did our best to help him calm down. It didn't fully work, and when I dropped him off at his house after school I was worried about what he was going to do.

My worry increased tenfold when I parked my car in the garage and walked into my house and saw Mom and Dad sitting at the dining room table waiting for me. They had serious expressions on their faces, and I knew that something bad was about to happen. Perhaps it had already happened!

"What's going on?" I asked while placing my bag down on the table.

"Have a seat," Dad said. He had a slight smile on his face, but I could also see the sadness in his eyes. I complied, and sat down across from them.

"Your father and I have been discussing some things," Mom said, which caused me to worry even more.

"What?" I asked anxiously. I had a feeling this had something to do with Sarah, and I was worried that they were going to tell me that I couldn't perform anymore.

"Megan," Dad started. "We are very proud of what you've accomplished. But..."

I felt a tear roll down my cheek. The solemn tone of his words told me everything I needed to know. Sarah Carerra's career had come to an end. They must have realized that sending me off alone was a bad idea, or maybe the school had called and complained about how tired I was the day before. I didn't know what the catalyst was, but they were taking away the one thing that I couldn't bear to lose!

"No!" I screamed. "You can't take it away! Performing means too much to me!"

My parents recoiled in shock! Their eyes widened as I hoped they finally could see how much this decision would hurt me! I prayed for the guidance I needed to let them know that this was a mistake!

"Megan!" Dad yelled, trying to be heard over my own hysterics. It took a few more times before I heard him, but I didn't calm down until Mom took my hand in hers.

"Megan," my mom said softly while rubbing the back of my hand with her thumb. "We aren't taking Sarah away from you."

My heart skipped a beat before relief flooded through and out of me in the form of tears. It had only taken seconds to turn me into a sobbing mess, but I didn't care anymore. Sarah was safe.

"We couldn't take Sarah from you if we wanted to," Mom continued. "She's a part of you, Megan. Sarah is a part of your very essence. Nobody can take her away from you."

"Then what's wrong?" I asked them, still sniffling.

Dad looked at Mom for a moment before he took a deep breath and sighed. Whatever it was, he was going to be the bearer of bad news.

"Megan," he said. "You are amazing! When you first told us that Scott wanted you to record that demo, we never dreamed that you would excel like you have. It is truly remarkable what you have been able to accomplish in such a short time despite all of the fumbling that I have done over your career. "

He sighed again, and I knew it was time. My tears had dried up somewhat, but I was afraid whatever he would say next would start them again.

"Sarah Carerra," my dad said in a business tone that surprised me. "It is with deep regret that I inform you that my company can no longer act as your managing party. Effective immediately, we are no longer able to offer you our services."

My jaw dropped, and I stared at the two of them in disbelief while trying to comprehend what they were telling me now!

"But...why?" I asked. Dad had been there from the first day helping me to get my career started. He had been my rock. I wouldn't have been able to do this without him! I needed him!

Dad sighed again and took a moment to form his response.

"Working with family blinds us sometimes," he told me. "I have made some serious mistakes when it came to both you and your career. I never should have stopped you from telling Emily and Ethan. I should have let you have more say in everything."

He paused again before continuing. "Megan, time after time, you have proved that you know what is best for Sarah and for yourself. Your music tells anyone who listens to it that you are your own person and that you are going to make your own decisions. I realize now that I was trying to take those decisions away from you. I was trying to do what was right when in reality I was doing just the opposite."

"But I couldn't have done this without you!" I told him. "I can't do this without you! Please, Dad! I want you to be my manager! I believe in you!"

"I believe in you too," he said while smiling widely. He was looking at me with pride, and I was caught off-guard by the tear that streaked down his cheek. I took his hand in mine and held it to let him know how much I cared about him.

"I believe in you too," he repeated. "That’s why I cannot be involved in the day-to-day decisions anymore. Those decisions are yours to make. I'll be here to help you if you need some advice, but the decisions are now yours. I can't stop you from doing what you think is best any longer. I believe in you, Megan, which is why I think you are ready for this. You have matured far beyond your years."

"But what am I supposed to do now?" I asked him. I had no idea how to be my own manager.

"Now you go get dressed," he told me. "You may no longer be one of my clients, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to leave you high and dry. Get dressed as Sarah and we'll go down to my office where we can sign the required papers and I'll introduce you to some people who would love to join your team. They will be able to help you more than I can."

I nodded and stood up. I was still lost and confused, but I trusted my dad. If he thought this was best, then I would listen to what he had to offer.

"I love you, Daddy," I said.

"I love you too, Princess," he replied. The last thing I saw before stepping into the hall was his smile.

* * *

I knew something was up when Dad suggested that I drive my car down to his office. It was a rare day when he actually wanted me to drive instead of him. When we pulled into the parking lot he directed me toward where his reserved space was, but instead of pulling into his spot he pointed to the one next to it. I pulled my car into the parking space. I was worried that I was taking someone else’s spot until I saw Sarah’s name on the sign! That really confused me! If Dad wasn't going to be my manager anymore, then why had he given me my own parking space?

I looked at him quizzically, but he only smiled conspiratorially as Mom and he exited the car. I did the same and locked it before I followed them toward the building.

When I stepped into the lobby I gasped! The lobby had been completely remodeled since the last time I had been there! It was still fairly recognizable as the same lobby, but instead of just the two hallways leading off into the back on either side of Lucy, the receptionist’s, desk there was a third doorway on the wall to the left. But what really stunned me was the large profile picture of me that covered the entire wall to the left of the door and my logo blown up large on the right of the door.

"What..." I asked, but I was unsure how to phrase the question.

"If we're going to incorporate ‘Sarah Carerra' she is going to need her own office space," Dad explained. My eyes opened wide at that.

"Dad!" I exclaimed in shock. Dad had built this building specifically for his company just a few years earlier. I knew how happy he was to finally have a place dedicated solely to his company. But now he had just remodeled to make room for another company - mine! A moment later I looked around in worry as I realized that I had just called him “Dad” while wearing the wig. But thankfully the only other person in the lobby was Lucy, and she already knew my secret.

Dad was chuckling at my reaction. He knew how rare it was for me to make a mistake like that, so he knew just how astonished I was.

"Come on," he said while walking toward the door. "Let me show you around."

I nodded, and numbly started following him. He opened the door for me and when I stepped through, what little breath remained rushed from my body. I knew immediately that he had involved both Julia and whatever designer had been involved in decorating both the bus and Sarah's room at our house. The whole area just screamed 'me'. On the other side of the door was an open office space. On the walls were many pictures of me performing as well as framed photos of me. But crowding around the desks that were on the opposite sides of the walkway between the door and a hallway that led further into the office space were a number of people who brought smiles to my face immediately!

I was still mesmerized by what was happening when Amy came over and hugged me. I looked around the room and realized that these were the people whom Dad had been talking about! These were the people whom he wanted to help me run my business! I was immediately struck with what this meant. Many of the people in this room had worked for him for a long time. Amy was relatively new, but I knew that she was someone my dad didn't want to give up. Marty Sorenson had been one of my dad's best accountants. Becky Stratford was one of Dad's most successful marketing leaders. I recognized all of them and I was finally starting to realize just how much this decision meant to my dad. Not only had he lost office space for his own company, but he had also lost many of the people who had made his company such a success.

"Don, no!" I stated immediately. "I can't take these wonderful people from you! They're the best your company has!"

Dad chuckled. That wasn't something I expected him to do when he was faced with losing so much of his talented staff. I knew he owned a large management company and probably would be able to absorb the losses, but I couldn't understand why he was willing to let them go.

"Sarah," he said. "I've never had a client whom I wanted to succeed as much as I want you to succeed. When I asked for volunteers to join your company, every single one of these individuals jumped at the chance to work with you. They believe in you, Sarah, just like I do. I may not be managing you anymore, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to give you the best chance to make a name for yourself. These wonderful people are the best gift that I could give, and I give it willingly."

I felt the first tear slide down my cheek as I hugged him tightly. Then I did the same thing for every single person in that room. Most of them worked behind the scenes and I didn't realize just how much they did for me. Only Amy, Mason, and Cole were people whom I worked with often. But that didn't make me any less grateful. I learned later that the only individuals I actually employed were Amy, Mason, and Cole. The others were subcontractors of my father's company. But that didn't make them any less devoted to their work.

When I had awakened this morning I didn't expect anything like this to happen today, but I was already looking forward to the future. I was scared to death, but I was looking forward to working with all of these wonderful people. Sarah had become my life, and now Dad had given me the means to control my future and allow me to perform for many years to come.

Tears were still streaming out of my eyes as I hugged and thanked the last one for joining me. They all seemed to be as excited as I was, and I couldn't wait to get started!

"There's more," Dad said a moment later. "This is only the first room!"

I laughed while wiping tears from my eyes. But I did peer down the short hallway. Dad continued the tour where he showed me more offices for the team, a conference room that we could use, and even a studio that the band and I could use! We finally had a dedicated place to work on our music!

When he opened the last door, however, I lost my breath again. It was the only corner office, and it was large, spacious, and all mine! It had a large desk, a comfortable lounge area for informal meetings, and wall-to-wall windows that looked out on the parking lot. But on the other side of the parking lot I could see the ocean! I was in heaven! I wasn't entirely sure what I would use an office for, but it was nice to have one!

I spent the next hour going over all of the paperwork and signing documents with my dad and with a man named Josh Carlson whom I'd never met before but had apparently been in charge of all of my legal concerns. It would take a few more days before the papers were filed and the company was legally incorporated, but I felt immensely important the rest of the day.

In the grand scheme of things it was business as usual for most of the people who were affected by this change. The only real difference was in where their offices were located within the building. I had no additional responsibilities other than continuing to promote my career as much as I could. What it did give me, and the whole reason Dad had done this, was to provide me with ultimate control over the creative aspect of Sarah Carerra. Nobody else could tell me how to be Sarah Carerra. Sarah Carerra would make her own decisions now.

I was still overwhelmed when I finally crawled into bed later that evening. I now wielded a lot of power and money when it came to my career. I had more authority in how things would happen and where I would make appearances. But I also had the ability to make decisions that could kill my career. Dad had faith that I wouldn't do that, but I was still only 16. I had relied on him to run the business side of Sarah Carerra, and now he had placed it into my hands. He had left me with very capable advisors, and he would always be there for guidance, but it was a lot to keep me worried.

But as I drifted off to sleep I had a smile on my face at the prospect of what the future would hold.

* * *

Chapter 14 - L.A. County Fair
Coming Soon...

* * *

Want more Sarah Carerra?
Book 1: I Am A Rock Star is now available for the Kindle! Click here for more information. Become a fan of Sarah Carerra by joining her on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the buttons below.
Follow SarahCarerra on Twitter   The Official Sarah Carerra Facebook Page

If you've read book 1 I'd love it if you shared your opinions with others. Review the Kindle version at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IZG49M. :)

up
278 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sarah Bk 3 ch 13

Wow; Now she is her own BOSS!

Richard

New business, new responsibilities

With the new responsibilities Megan has as Sarah, I think it's time she officially drop out of school and takes the rest of her classes via correspondence with a licensed tutor.

But since Megan has tons of love surrounding her, she won't be as destroyed by her career and lots of other child/young adult actors and singers (Michael Jackson, Danny Bonaduce, Todd Bridges, et al).

I still think she'd best watch herself, as she's becoming highly addicted to the rush performing does, which has been the cause of many other performers' struggle with booze and drugs, no matter how these people tried to keep away from them. Whitney Houston being a prime example.

Sarah Carerra - 3.13 - Carerra Business

Now she, her dad, the principal and music teacher need to have a real serious talk and get Megan out of choir!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great for both of them!

She really needed that. Don can allow himself to just be her dad and not try to sell her as an artist, and she can allow herself to make decisions without having to go with what he in his manager persona chooses without it causing unnecessarily large splits between them. I think he's been chafing at acting manager when he should have acted father as well.

Now they just need to do something about his earlier mistakes before the cat is out of the bag all the way - the school situation needs to be solved in some way that makes Sarah appearing and Megan not being there a natural circumstance and not an event of note, or an excuse for Sarah not doing it the way it was originally planned without shooting her image and career in the foot.

Finally!

After, erm, (how many months has Sarah been around?) what seems like ages, dad has finally got a clue and stopped managing his daughter. Now Megan can be free to dictate that there will be no more weekday concerts during term time. She'll be able to sort out her own concert schedule (with the help of advisors) - but crucially she'll have the power to accept or reject their suggestions rather than being dragged along regardless. Perhaps (as I suggested on an earlier chapter) there's an opening in future to bring her school chorus teacher on board (perhaps after the current tour), since he independently worked out the Sarah/Megan connection and isn't affiliated with either dad's company or the record label.

Of course, there's still the remainder of this tour, arranged under the previous management, to complete; as well as the most nerve-wracking concert of all - the one in school, to her fellow classmates.

-oOo-

Oh, and I think you definitely deserve a spell on the proverbial Naughty Step for that teaser :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Control

"Ultimate control over the creative aspect of Sarah Carerra" and "more authority in how things would happen and where I would make appearances."

I can potentially see some changes afoot with regards to the school concert, assuming it even goes ahead. Megan wasn't thrilled with the idea, but I don't think she is likely to cancel a concert and disappoint her fans.

However I do suspect some changes will be made to the format. At the very least I suspect Jane will be duetting with Sarah, to get her noticed by the record companies. I wonder if any of the other members of choir will perform, or if that may get dropped as too risky.

Perhaps the cover story for Megan's absences should be played up a bit more. Megan is Sarah's assistant and friend. Don't piss Megan off or she will bad mouth you to Sarah and cost you a chance of meeting the star or performing at the concert.

I don't think Megan is the type to make such threats, but it could be something Emily or Ethan could point out to people.

Surprise!

Wow, this development caught me completely unaware.

It is a good one, though, definitely. Dad's right, he was trying to juggle being Dad and Manager and missing the boat on both jobs. He's also right that Megan is the best at managing Sarah, no one else.

Now, the choir situation. If I were Megan, I'd call the Principal of her school, her choir director, and her new staff together to a special meeting where I'd propose that Megan officially drop out of choir, but Sarah Carerra becomes a special advisor to the class. Megan can quickly become Sarah before going to the practices and whatever and hopefully no one will twig who shouldn't.

This will allow her to keep her promise to the choir director, and her Dad's previous fumble with getting her signed up for it in the first place and contractually obliged to participate will not be reneged upon, rather it will merely be fulfilled in a slightly different manner than previously supposed.

With Megan no longer in choir, Jane will become Top Girl, and will have a chance to sing a special number or few with Sarah. Unfortunately she might still be required to include butthead the jerk as well, since he'd become Top Student.

Abigail Drew.

The school choir director

Be very suspicious! He set up the male and female choir lead roles, said they'd get to do more stuff with Sarah, and pushed Megan into the female lead role, all while he knew that Megan and Sarah were the same person. Surely no-one's going to twig when she sings with herself on stage?!? It seems to me he's either denser than two bricks, or he's setting something up.

My best guess is that he's trying to push things so that it all comes out at the concert so he can take the kudos after the fact for "training" Sarah to kickstart a career outside school. Is it just me, or can anyone else see him grandstanding with an intro like "and our very own Megan Campbell, singing as Sarah Carrera!"

Probably I'm just paranoid. :-/

Hm. Maybe.

He doesn't really strike me as that type. No, really. I think he honestly just really thinks Sarah can help him with his choir. Now, his ideas of "help" and hers, I think, differ greatly. But that's nothing new... Everyone is individual and it is a very rare thing indeed to find any two people who think alike, or even similarly, especially from across a gender AND generation divide.

Abigail Drew.

Business...

I loved this episode! Our 'little' girl has sprouted wings, is flying on her own (with lots of good help), and is now a young business woman! I know her secret will eventually be made public - I just hope it is her decision when it happens.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Sarha's now a true business woman

Renee_Heart2's picture

That girl is going to need to get a business suit for when she has to go in to the office for meetings & such :).

With her dad as strictly advisor & the others in the company helping her out she iwll do GREAT things.

I can understand where she would think that her mom & dad were pulling the plug on Sarha but insted her dad gave her own company, & office.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Something others have not yet commented on worries me

Jared.

Physical assaults often escalate. This is not unlike spousal abuse.

She and Ethan should/MUST report this and Sarah/Megan needs a *shadow* in the school watching out for her.

She WILL get hurt, possibly seriously unless steps are taken quickly. It is a matter of when, not if now. And Jared attacked her before. That should be grounds for him to be sent to juvie hall. He is a criminal, not a *troubled young man*.

And I agree with others here Megan HAS to leave choir ASAP, but to Sarah acting as a mentor to the choir?

Disruptive possibly and Megan ALLWAYS disappearing just before Sarah shows up? A few times okay, a bunch of times... Even a boiled clam would figure out they are one and the same.

Fun chapter.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

First Business Decision

The first act as her own manager should be to get the choir teacher to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Everyone else that's not "family" has signed one. His actions seem to be adding risk to the secret getting out. He is a choir director so he is going to be motivated to put the choir's interest ahead of Sarah. The NDA with risk of a lawsuit will offset any desire to take advantage of Sarah.

The Principle had to sigh a NDA... choir director makes sense

And re-reading he didn't say the top singers in chorus WOULD perform with Sarah he said they MIGHT get a chance to perform with her.

Problem now is as the class all know how exceptionally good a singer/entertainer -- heck she even plays a mean gitar -- Megan is, her NOT being in chorus would be odd.

She is trapped for now.

So how to avoid being found out as Sarah?

And re-reading a bit I see her free concert for the school is in October, Halloween perhaps? Or maybe outdoors as part of the football homecoming? These are guesses but the vid she taped for the welcome back to school had her saying October. SHI* might hit the fall sooner than I thought. I mean Sarah performing at the school and Megan isn't there? And EVERYONE at the school knows she knows Sarah and ia a *personal assistant* due to the Priciple's announcement at the welcome back.

I thought it would be a Christmas concert. But that is the one with the chorus.

And whether it is Amber in gym or Mark, Jered or others on the football team, Megan has got to document any attemps at assaults and intimidation and report them all. A patern of abuse could be sufficient to get them suspended or expelled. Waiting for a serious assault before reporting it is just asking to be hurt.

As head of her own management co... once the current contracts are satisfied. NO MORE WEEKDAY CONCERTS during school. She was dragging something fierce. Being tired is not only hard on her grades and health but makes her less allert and more likely to get hurt by one of her detractors.

The tension is building. And what of Paul and Ethan? Both are showing signs of being comfortaable with who Megan is and wanting to support her.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

With the circle of those who know...

Andrea Lena's picture

...widening, it almost seems assured that her secret will be exposed sooner or later. It might behoove her to find someone she trusts to plan for that contingency. And no one can be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. The school is under no obligation to keep her secret; that's a choice she's made irrespective of her personal information and involvement at school as Megan.

And I'd really love to know what her therapist has to say. Certainly most of the issues in her life that required therapy haven't disappeared, and most likely her career pressures have intensified her need for counseling. It's been mere months in this timeline since she started her transition from her male self, and she exhibits all the insecurities of a pubescent teen, since her emotional development was hugely delayed. I hope she'd got her therapist on speed dial, since all of the expectations on Megan AND Sarah have grown. But that's just the parent and the counselor in me talking. My biggest disappointment on her behalf is that her father, despite releasing control over her, still treats her like a client for the most part, and has only made it more difficult to be the daughter he never knew he had.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

When Don Didn't Go To Utah...

...I had the feeling that it meant he was sliding out of the loop. Thing was, I thought the record company was going to take things over -- extending the concert series and renting larger venues.

Instead, we have this new arrangement. CEO or not, Megan's underage, which has me worried whether this attorney that she's never met before can take advantage of her. And we'll have to see whether the folks at Olympic think there's a vacuum here that they can step into.

Some people have suggested that it's a great time to take Megan out of school. Seems to me that'd be tough if the excuse is that she's going to be spending all her time as Sarah's PA, since other than the school events Sarah only has the one more concert scheduled after this weekend. (And of course Sarah's tour schedule is public information.) Maybe if they made Megan vice president...

As positive a development as this may be for Megan to have her dad step down, there's still the family dynamic: a professional disagreement between Sarah and Don will make things awkward at home for Megan -- especially if Mom and/or her brother takes Dad's side. I don't really expect that to happen soon, but it seems almost inevitable to me in the longer run.

Eric

This gives Sarah the final

This gives Sarah the final decision, but otherwise doesn't address the real problem.
She needs someone to advise her on life and someone to advise her on the music business; Dad/Don is still filling both roles, which means she doesn't get to choose how she balances the two.

Apparently dad has learned

From other popular singers who's dad took over there life. All the better for Sarah.