Wyldly Divine

Printer-friendly version
Wyldly Divine
A
Wyld Logo
Universe Vignette

by Saless

The Untamed Kami, A Wyld Interview
by William Parker

March, 2022

This month's Wyld article is a rare treat! I received permission to interview the one and only Kami; the only Untamed Wyld in the world (that we know of). This is the first time she's consented to an interview of any kind since she announced her existence some fifteen years ago.

The interview started as interestingly as it began as she appeared in my office at the appointed time in a flash of light, wearing her signature ornate kimono of silver and gold:

(Will): Thank you for consenting to this interview Kami; I am deeply honored that you chose me.

(Kami): The honor is mine. You have proven yourself a great ally to the Wyld of the world with your open-minded attention to Wyld matters. Even now concerns of the Wyld are often overlooked by most media outlets.

(Will): That's why I've been doing this series of Wyld articles. So, what made you decide to grant this interview?

(Kami): As I am sure you are aware I have been asked many times for interviews. Despite my involvement with Japanese affairs I have sought as normal a life as someone like myself is capable. Avoiding the press was part of my effort to do so. However, the momentum of events caused by the emergence of the Wyld has slowed to the point that I feel it is time I addressed certain issues.

(Will): And what might those be?

(Kami): To put it simply; equality. For too long Wyld have been treated like second class citizens or even slaves in many parts of the world. In time everyone in the world will be Wyld. To continue to fight this only damages entire generations of young people. We need to start treating each other as equals; Wyld or not.

(Will): Some have made this argument before but others have argued that we have no way of knowing that everyone will be Wyld in time. Wyld may stop appearing as suddenly as they started. Do you have some insight that would counter that argument?

(Kami): Yes, I do. As an Untamed Wyld, I have a unique connection to the power that all Wyld tap into. That power is not new. It has been here all along and will always be here.

(Will): Then how do you account for the fact that no one was aware of it until the first Wyld appeared?

(Kami): That is not actually true. There are those who were. Unfortunately, most of them perished taming that power. Nevertheless, it has been here all along. Dormant, weak, but present. That dormancy is over and it is highly unlikely it will ever go dormant again.

(Will): Wait, you mean there were Wyld before 2000?

(Kami): No. There were people who could tap into the power that Wyld use but not in the same way. I do not have much information but I believe they were wizards or something of that sort.

(Will): So, the people who were found dead at Stonehenge in 2002...

(Kami): Yes, they were responsible for what has become known as the Taming. I believe their efforts also resulted in my gaining control of my own powers.

(Will): Do you know if there are any of these wizards left?

(Kami): Yes, there are. I believe they are less skilled than those who died at Stonehenge, but they grow more skillful all the time. And more powerful.

(Will): Do you think they will become a problem?

(Kami, laughing softly): Hardly! They have done a very good job of keeping their existence quiet. I only know of them because I can feel them drawing on the same power I and other Wyld use. In time they may even be able to teach us all more about this power than we could ever imagine. Certainly, their knowledge is greater than my own.

(Will): An interesting thought. So, you have some reason to believe this power has been around all along. But how can you be so sure it won't go dormant again?

(Kami): That is hard to explain. This power...it is alive. It thinks and feels, though I am only very vaguely aware of this. However, I have been able to glean some information from it. There is anger, over whatever caused it to go dormant in the first place. And there is determination. I cannot explain it any further than that except to say that this power feels very certain of its ability to remain active.

(Will): So it's true then? Everyone will go Wyld during their twentieth year, forever?

(Kami): It is possible this will be changed in the future but considering the cost of the first change this seems rather unlikely. So yes, everyone will be Wyld in the future. There is no avoiding this.

(Will): While your words may convince some, I suspect many people won't believe you. How do you suppose we achieve the equality you spoke of?

(Kami): Unfortunately there is no quick answer. I have thought much on this and the best course I can see is the route that was taken to gain acceptance for LGBT people before the arrival of the Wyld derailed their efforts. It will be slow and difficult. But as more people get to know Wyld in their everyday lives minds will be changed.

(Will): I'm surprised you used the LGBT efforts as a reference instead of the civil rights movement.

(Kami): The approach of the civil rights movement is less than effective when many Wyld are still slaves and others would be easily tempted to use their powers in defense when peaceful protests were broken up by violent means as happened during those days. Not that there are no lessons to be learned from the civil rights movement. All of history has lessons to offer, if we listen.

(Will): Still, LGBT rights were set back a long ways by the arrival of Wyld in most countries. Everything that is different is distrusted these days. Even a casual connection with the LGBT rights movement could make things more difficult.

(Kami): I am a strong believer in equality for all. Not just Normal and Wyld, but for all the wonderful variety in each group. Despite the appearance of some, we are still all human. To achieve acceptance and equality for Wyld while neglecting other groups is not true equality. We must recognize that everyone is truly equal; no matter their differences.

(Will): That's a tall order. Do you have any concrete plans to make this happen?

(Kami): Concrete? No. But I have been in contact with several groups who seek similar ends all over the world. It will take a lot of people working together to make this happen and, as I said, will still take a lot of time. I grieve for all the lives that will be damaged or lost in the meantime but we cannot expect miracles.

(Will): Well I wish you luck. It's going to be an uphill battle; though a worthy one.

(Kami): Thank you. I hope you will be willing to help?

(Will): Me? What can I do?

(Kami): What you are already doing. Putting a human face on Wyld. Your stories show that Wyld are people too. They also educate people on the true history of the Wyld, which is often obscured by the prejudices of others.

(Will): I don't know what to say to that.

(Kami, smiling slightly): There is no need to say anything. You have my thanks for what you have done and, if I may say so, will do.

(Will): You're welcome, though I suspect you overestimate my influence. Is there anything else you'd like to say?

(Kami): Yes, there is one thing. Although I have avoided the public eye for years, that is changing. I would still like to live a normal life, but I will no longer turn a blind eye to the atrocities going on in the world. I will not search the world for these troubles, but when they are brought to my attention I shall deal with them when it is feasible for me to do so. I can't change the world alone, but I can at least make some small difference. If we all make such efforts where we can, equality may be achieved sooner rather than later.

(Will): I can see that interesting times are ahead. Thank you for coming and talking with me today Kami.

(Kami): And thank you for having me. May your efforts always succeed.

The interview ended there with a flash of light as Kami teleported out of my office the same way she arrived. Obviously changes are coming. Kami's ideals are lofty, but her means are as well. Who knows, she may actually succeed! I for one hope so.

Having a living goddess in the office with me was an interesting experience. One cannot help but be intimidated by her presence. And her final words haunt me oddly. I could have sworn I glowed for a moment when she said them...


The End

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wyldly Divine

Interesting interview

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's refreshing

Extravagance's picture

to see a story that answers more questions than it raises. = )
It's great to see a Saless story, period. ^_^

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Geez!

I thought I answered questions very well. Just like a politician in fact! I answer questions with more questions!

Well,

Extravagance's picture

your stories tend to raise and answer a roughly equal number of questions. I was simply commenting on how this one answered more than it raised. ^_^

Surely you aren't getting PARANOID? :)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Nah.

I do think these type of short stories are good for the universe. The more questions people know answers to the easier it is to comprehend things.

Plus I think it helps get more writers involved, which I'm kinda hoping we'll get!

That's the idea!

My first vignette was just something that popped into my head and I felt compelled to write. After that I realized I could use these to fill in some of the background of the world. And help me keep posting Wyld stories regularly so people would be more aware of it. ;)

I'm hoping for more writers, too, and on that front there may be good news! I won't give a name just in case things don't work out, but someone has shown an interest and we've been exchanging PMs on that subject. ^_^

Saless


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America