The Angry Mermaid 53 Y Morforwyn Dicllon.

Printer-friendly version

Drustina recovers to find the Castle besieged. However King Athun has a secret known only to him about a secret passage.

The Angry Mermaid 53

Or

Y Morforwyn Dicllon.

Mabina. The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin the twins grandfather.
Giana The twins grandmother
Caderyn The twins father.
Herenoie The twins wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe The twins oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara The twins second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun. Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin. Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by Aiofe, Drustan and Mabina.)
Penderol Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris Young Dumnonii warrior.
Dryslwyn High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony.
Bronlwyn Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab The moor who taught numbers.
Eric Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton. Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia Arton’s wife.
Isobel. Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus King of the Capetani.
Shaleen Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan. The scullery maid.
Isaar. Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa Pedoro’s only daughter.
Portega. Tyrant King to the west.
Portua. Portega’s grandson.
Jubail. Old Fisherman.
Mutas Magab’s younger brother and usurper.
Walezia King of Malta.
Alviar Megalomaniacal bishop of Carthage. (Hates Drustina.)
Ethelia Female healer who treats Drustina during her pregnancy.
Seripatese Drustina’s faithful horse.
Astos & Amitor Minor royalty who govern Alexandria. King and Twin Queen.
Meronee Nubian Queen of Nobatia The northern Kingdom of the Nubians.
Horam The Egyptian master Boat builder.
Muraa King Astos’s male partner.
Tuk Makurian general.
Fantu. Makurian Captain.
Irene Emperor Leon’s only child.
Leon Byzantine Emperor.
Zano Byzantine general who defeats the Bulgars with Drustina’s help.
Urthos The Gaul elected captain of the 4th ship. Ex Barbary galley slave.
Horus Horam the boat-builder’s son.
Sister Catherine Leader of the pirate nuns.
Guthrun Jarl of Bornholm.
Etheline Guthruns’ wife the countess of Bornholm.
Seripatese Drustinas’ mare
Capenda Taras’ mare.
Athun Gay king of Dark Age Denmark.
Queen Elthorn King Athuns’ Consort.
Heingist. Drustina’s loyal Danish navigator and pilot.

It was night-time when Drustina came to. In the silent darkness she had no idea where she was. She couldn’t be certain if she was even in the castle; however, the bed was comfortable even if her shoulder wasn’t. Next she sat up and felt her secret parts. There was no evidence of any interference and she smiled inwardly, whoever had brought her there had respected her comatose body. Cautiously she slipped out of bed and in the pitch blackness she stubbed her toe as she groped blindly forward. She couldn’t even find her shoes. She cursed as she felt her way to a wall then finally skirted the room until she found a door. She opened it and realised why it was so dark, it was raining heavily and she could hear the rain clattering onto the stone roof tiles. Then she heard voices murmuring down the corridor but strangely there were no lights anywhere.

She cursed silently to herself and returned to her room to try and find a weapon. It would not do to appear to others disrobed as she was and unable to protect herself. She still had no idea where in the castle she was, the only certain intelligence she had was that the building was big and it had alleyways so it was most probably the castle. She groped blindly around the room for nearly five minutes before she finally located her weapons along with her clothes on a chest by the wall opposite the door. She recognised her beloved toledo sword immediately, even in the pitch dark. The handle grip was just too familar to mistake.

The eventual discovery of her weapons and the integrity of her body's secret places told her that whoever had brought her to the bed had been a friend. She dressed in the pitch dark using the same diaphanous chemise and britches then next she crept down the alleyway to locate the exact room from which the murmured voices were coming. Finally she found it and strained to identify the voices. Firstly she recognised womens’ voices then she recognised Taras’ low melodious chuckle. There was still no certainty that the situation was safe so she cautiously eased the door open, peered around the door-jamb. She concluded she hadn’t been discovered and stepped soundlessly into the room. In the flickering light of a single candle, she approached less than three yards from the table before Tara and Queen Elthorn realised she was there. They squeaked with surprise then Tara lurched gratefully towards her sibling.

“My God girl! You frightened us!”

“Why all the secrecy, the low lighting and silence?”

Elthorn answered.

“The Jarls and their men outnumber us, even with your crew on our side.”

“My men; good! They made it to the castle then.” Drustina concluded.

“Yes. It was touch and go. The jarls have the palace and the castle walls surrounded.

“How many are we?” Drustina asked, though she had a rough idea.

“Two hundred and fifteen altogether.” Elthorn replied, “your crews mainly. Eric says there are another hundred or so protecting the ships and standing off the haven.”

“Well at least our men know how to fight. Has nobody gone out to recce the land?”

“We are too few. The defences are barely sustainable anyway.”

Drustina cursed.

“I was hoping to have got amongst the Jarls before they concentrated their forces. Where are my lieutenants?”

“In the gatehouse; the gates are the weakest point but the gatehouse towers are the strongest feature.”

“I’d better go to them.”

So saying, Drustina crept along the alleyways then slipped across the small cobbled entrance threshold to meet with her lieutenants. When she ghosted into the main gatehouse Eric, Carl and Urthos gave a start at first because of her sudden and ethereal arrival. Once they realised who it was they rose silently to meet her. One candle gave feint illumination but it was enough for her loyal lieutenants to recognise her. They greeted her with silent affectionate hugs then Drustina whispered.

“Where’s King Athun?”

“He’s gone with Heingist. Apparently there’s a secret passage to a sally port close to the sea-gate but only the king knows of it. He wouldn’t show us, only Heingist. He only trusts you and Heingist.”

Drustina pulled a wry, knowing smile.

“Yes, that would figure ... his last bolt hole as it were. So what are they doing now?”

“Heingist wants to see if there’s a way out past their pickets. We persuaded the king it’s the best chance we’ve got. Surprise being the only option.

Drustina smiled to herself. ‘Carl and Eric were tried and tested lieutenants.’

“And if there is a possibility?”

“Not sure yet what we shall do yet. It’s a bit of a stale-mate. They’re not powerful enough to take the castle yet and we’re not powerful enough to take them in straight battle. We’re waiting on your recovery and Heingist’s return.”

Drustina nodded with satisfaction. She was glad her lieutenants were being patient and cautious. If they could find a way to surprise the besiegers then their job might be half finished. She saw some mulled ale in a big jug so she poured herself a drink before hacking a wedge of bread off the loaf. The warm ale helped drive the night chill from her bones and she wrapped a thick bearskin around her thin chemise then settled in a niche to await Heingist’s return. Despite her sore shoulder, she fell asleep again and found herself being gently shaken by Urthos whispering in her ear.

“Heingist is back with Athun.”

Drustina dragged herself to wakefulness and Heingist appeared beside her as her lieutenants gathered close. She saw the king disappear but at that point, Drustina wasn’t too bothered. Heingist explained.

“There is a Sally-port milady. It comes out in a cellar of a large tavern but I was shocked to learn that even the Landlord didn’t know of it. The king told me. The tavern backs onto the cliff at the foot of the city wall and the front door is but a stone’s throw from the haven. The tavern is popular with sailors. The entrance to the sally port can only be opened from the inside and it opens inwards. The door is virtually invisible from the cellar. It comes out behind one of the stands for the barrels. It’s a secret only known to the king.”

“How come? Those who dug the tunnel must have known.”

“It’s not a tunnel ma-am except in two places and that’s only a few feet of soft rock. It’s an ancient. Well-kept secret and the original tunnelers have long since passed. The rest of the route is a natural fissure. It’s a bit of a squeeze but a man can scrabble through.”

“Would it enable us to evacuate the castle?”

“Yes, easily. But the king doesn’t want to surrender his seat. The castle is the centre of control.”

Drustina wagged her head in disbelief.

“The king has no control. Anybody can see that. I thought it was obvious, even to him. Where is he now?”

Carl looked behind himself and shrugged.

“He was here a few moments ago; he’s probably gone to see his queen.”

Drustina frowned but her concern was not noticed in the feeble flickering candle-light. To hatch any sort of plan she needed Athun with her now at the council. Her plan was to get the king and his queen away so that the jarls could no longer claim his authority as grounds for their legitimacy. As to reinstating the king’s rule, well ... that would follow later. The vital objective was to neutralise or, better still, destroy the usurpers.

Between them they hatched a plan then Drustina and Urthos went to see the king in the queen’s chamber. She took Urthos with her to demonstrate to Athun that she trusted all her lieutenants implicitly. They knocked softly on the queen’s chamber door and Athun whispered back.

“Identify yourself.”

Drustina spoke so he would recognise her voice.

“Drustina; I’ve brought one of my other lieutenants, Urthos.”

The bolt slid back and the door opened a bit for Athun to confirm Drustina’s words. Having recognised her he opened the door fully and they entered with swords drawn. Inside the chamber Drustina apologised to Elthorn.

“Sorry about the drawn swords, one can never be too careful. We’re getting out of here.”

“How?” Asked Elthorn.

“Tell her Athun.”

The king frowned and tried to resist the instruction.

“Why are we leaving? We’re safe here.”

Drustina shook her head and turned to the queen to explain.

“The jarls are mustering their forces. In a couple of days, they’ll be powerful enough to attack the castle. I’ve only got a few hundred men. We can’t defend the castle indefinitely. If we escape, we live to fight another day.”

“Elthorn turned to Athun.”

“If that’s true,Drustina's right. If they have to fight to take the castle they’ll kill you and probably rape me. I’m going with Drustina.”

Athun protested again.

“But darling! If we lose the castle we lose everything.”

Urthos interrupted gruffly.

“We will lose the castle. Even if we hold it by arms they can starve us out. There’s virtually no food and certainly not enough for two-hundred of our men. I can assure you king, if we stay here, we WILL lose the Castle.”
Athun became angered at Urthos’s rough, gruff manner.

“You address me as ‘Your Majesty’.”

Drustina nipped the pointless argument in the bud, time was short.

“We haven't time to argue the finer points of eticate or protocol. You’ll have to excuse my lieutenant your majesty. He tends to be a bit rough and uncultured at times, but he’s a man I’d have at my back in any battle. Now we must be getting organised. Time presses.”

“When do you intend to make this escape?” Elthorn asked.

“Now your majesty. No time like the present.”

“What! During the night.”

Drustina looked pointedly out of the window.

“It makes no difference of the time. Even at the middle hour it’s still fairly light in these latitudes. It’s only black indoors, amongst the shadows. We go in one hour. Elthorn, you’d better be dressed for a rough journey on foot.”

“What no horses.” Athun protested.

“How d’you intend to get a horse out of the castle!? D'you expect us to somehow squeeze it out through the sally-port? Besides, horse’s hooves make a hell of a clatter. We’ll be using stealth at first until we can determine the disposition of the jarl’s forces. If we are to capture horses outside then that’s a different story but at first it’s silence and stealth.”
Drustina stared hard at Elthorn who nodded reluctant acceptance. Athun was still fearful but he realised he had little choice. Urthos had left him in no doubt of the deteriorating situation. Drustina confirmed his fears with the final words.

“If we are to stand any chance of success, we must act fast and stealthily; surprise is everything. Be ready for the middle hour.”

Athun was about to protest at Drustina’s having assumed command but a baleful glance from Urthos left both king and queen in little doubt. Secretly, Elthorn was desperately glad that somebody with a bit of presence had appeared at long last to help them. That that someone was a woman served only to fascinate her. Like most princes in Europe at that time she had heard of the famous ‘Lioness of Carthage’. Now she watched, almost mesmerized as that same heroine demonstrated her leadership and kingliness where her husband had utterly failed. Before Drustina had left the room to organise her men, Elthorn was preparing for the long hard journey. Urthos was left to ensure that King Athun did nothing stupid like bolt before the plan was finalised.

As the middle hour approached, Elthorn heard the soft shuffling of leather shod feet and she realised that all Drustina’s men had shed their heavy clunking chain-mail and helmets. She felt her nerves settle a bit as she realised the strange, forceful fighting queen obviously had a clear plan and her men had done exactly as she commanded. Elthorn became even more fascinated with this enigma that was reputed to be both man and woman although to look at, she was all woman. As she joined the troops in the long corridor, she and her waiting lady were surprised to see Drustina dressed just as her men in leather jerkin and thick woollen britches. The arrangement served only to accentuate the heroine’s femininity. The jerkin did not cover her arms and the bruised shoulder served to remind Elthorn that this strange queen certainly did actually fight. The jerkin stopped at her slender feminine waist and her tight leggings only served to emphasise that femininity further. Her sword belt hung low on her curvy hips.

In a bizarre way, to Elthorn’s royal eye, Drustina looked positively provocative. Drustina however was too preoccupied with the forthcoming action to even acknowledge Elthorn and Athun when they joined the troop. Instead, Urthos and Carl were detailed to protect the royal pair. They were placed within about ten places from the rear of the line as Carl explained.
“Only one man at a time can sneak out of the exit behind the barrels. The plan is to get at least two hundred men into the cellars before we emerge into the Tavern. It will probably be fighting from then on if any of the jarls’ men are drinking in there. We have no idea how it will go so your royal personages won’t be put at risk in the first throws of fighting.”

“What happens if we’re defeated in those first minutes?” King Athun asked.

“Then we’re well fucked!”

“Please; not in front of my lady!!”

“Sorry your majesty. It’s the tension, it often gets to me. Hey-up. We’re off.”

There was no more time for conversation and they soon found themselves in the passage. There was a brief delay at the exit as men poured silently into the cellar then finally; everybody was assembled in the cellar. As the men gathered amongst the barrels, Drustina and Heingist crept up the stairs to peep through the ill-fitting door to the main passageway upstairs. At the top of the stairs on a largish landing, they peered anxiously the pair stiffened and signalled for absolute silence. Suddenly a bar-maid appeared entering the cellar and there was a brief muffled scuffle. Within seconds the maid was set down amongst the war councils and questions were being asked.

The information they received was the best possible stroke of luck they could have asked for. The jarls were using the tavern as their headquarters. And three of the eight Jarls were currently availing themselves of the fine beer and ale that the Tavern served. To the companion’s delight, the maid proved to be very anti jarl because they had already abused her and the other girls whilst also refusing to pay for their ale.

She showed Drustina the bruises on her arms and legs to confirm the violence the jarls used and she spat on the floor to indicate her anger as she continued cursing the jarls.

“They are pigs and thieves! There is no law! Who are you anyway?”

“That’s no concern of yours. Give me your clothes.” Drustina commanded.

“What are you going to do?” The girl asked fearfully.

“To you; nothing! I do not intend to rape you you silly girl. I'm a woman myself! Can you not see?"
The girl nodded as she brethed a deep sigh of relief. Drustina explained further.

"I intend to masquerade as you. I’ve got the same colour hair and in this light, I’ll be amongst them before they realise I’m an enemy. Draw me a plan of the tavern.”

The girl frowned until Elthorn appeared and she recognised the queen.

“Your majesty!”

“Do as the warrior queen asks young woman. You’ll come to no harm with me. You can wear my outer cape.”

Thus reassured, the barmaid hid behind Drustina and Elthorn as she disrobed. She gasped as she spotted Drustina’s duality and only then realised who the fighting queen was. She gasped out ‘Lioness of Carthage!’ but Drustina ignored her shocked outburst. She was too busy arranging her disguise while hiding her sword under the long skirt. The barmaid stared in shock as she pulled Elthorn’s cape around her but before she could say or do anything more, Drustina and twenty men were lining up behind the cellar door into the tavern. There was a whispered discussion which the barmaid did not understand and then the group slipped silently through the door into the dark alcove under the balustrade that encircled the tavern's main area.

Then the rest of the two hundred soldiers lined up in groups of twenty ready to burst through the door at the first sign of fighting.

On the other side of the door. Drustina had her skirt accidentally ruched up by the small barrel of ale she was carrying and the front of her thighs were exposed almost to her secret places. This naturally distracted the jarl’s views from her face for Drustina had beautiful legs.. The jarls shouted raucously for more ale and tried to grab Drustina’s private parts as she carried the barrel across the tavern. She did not respond to the first few gropes and grabs until she was in the right position by the main door to prevent any of the jarls or their men escaping. Then, as another jarl made a lewd grab, she screamed out a curse. This was the signal for the remaining nineteen men to rush out of the deep shadows by the cellar door.

Drustina’s scream distracted the jarls' men and their gazes turned towards her. For a couple of seconds and they stared stupidly at what they clearly considered to be the serving wench’s over-reaction to a bit of horseplay. To add to the confusion, Drustina dropped the barrel on one of the Jarls’ feet causing him to curse and howl. As all eyes remained focused towards the jarl and the screaming wench in anticipation of some sport or ‘fun’, nobody noticed or heard the silent threat pouring out of the shadows under the balcony by the cellar door.

With all heads turned still towards the row developing between the jarl and the serving wench, nobody noticed Drustina's troops scuttling silently into the main central drinking area. Heingist and the men were amongst them with swords drawn before they realised they were being attacked. Furthermore, another twenty were already pouring out of the door.

As the jarls realised they were being attacked, they lurched towards the Tavern’s main door only to be confronted by Drustina’s faithful Toledo blade. The jarl who had tried to scold her now let out a curse and whipped his sword out to kill the bitch that had the sheer effrontery to block his escape. In less than a second, his wrist was slashed so severly, his hand was nearly severed and spurting arterial blood splashed onto Drustina’s white blouse. His sword fell from his useless fingers and he cursed loudly. Drustina stepped back as the man recovered from his shock and measured up the distance between himself and the blasted wench with the sword. She had deliberately chosen a position with space between her and the door to allow her freedom to retreat if necessary. In a rage, the jarl lurched forward to grab the girl before she could swing again but his second lesson was his last. Drustina did not need to swing for stepping back gave her space to aim her lethal sword. As the jarl rushed her she applied the coup-de-gras and ran him straight through the heart. The jarl was dead before he hit the floor.
‘One down, twenty to go!’ Drustina told herself as she stepped forward to straddle the corpse in readiness for the next assault. It was not long coming as another giant of a man loomed in front of her brandishing a gigantic sword. Drustina retreated again then slid behind one of the balcony supports to prevent the giant swinging his sword. To an impartial observer it seemed that Drustina was in perpetual retreat but a more experienced eye would have recognised her tactic. As she retreated under the balcony and into the corner, the second jarl’s sword strokes became slower and restricted. Eventually she lured him into the corner where the balcony pillars supported the corners and the deeper diagonal struts extended half way down the pillars. The giant’s sword simply had no room to move. Drustina feinted to one side and took an extra large step that exposed her side. The jarl saw the perfect opportunity but his sword was the wrong side of the pillar. By the time he had pulled his sword back and prepared to lunge, Drustina had pierced his belly and stepped back around the pillar. The man cursed as he realised once again his sword was again on the wrong side of the pillar. Drustina was using speed and agility in the confined space to overcome the jarls power and size. Thus the jarl received two more wounds before collapsing helpless to the floor.

Drustina did not administer the death blow. She wanted information. Instead she stepped over the prostrate body and returned to block the door. It was still closed and she could not believe their luck but she sensed another soldier approaching quickly. The man was simply fleeing for his life having been disarmed and wounded. His adversary was pursuing him with full intent to kill. Instead Drustina simply thrust her sword out and the man ran himself on to it. The blade sliced into his throat and he collapsed at her feet. His pursuer turned out to be Eric who grinned and cursed.

“Dammit Dru! He was mine.”

Drustina grinned and replied.

“He’s yours. Doubt he’s got much on him. Look-out!”

Even as Eric turned, Drustina’s sword flashed out to parry a blow aimed at the back of Eric’s neck. The attacking blade landed flat against his collar and nicked his ear as he was spinning around but the main force of the blow was deflected and Eric heaved a sigh of relief.

“Thanks girl! That was bloody close!”

As he grinned he realised Drustina was not smiling. Instead she was grimacing with pain.

“What’s wrong?”

“My bloody wrist. That sword caught me at a funny angle as I reached around your neck. It twisted my sword around and bent my wrist. I think I’ve sprained or broken it.”

“Use your other hand then.”

Drustina gave him a sarcastic ‘look’ and swore.

“What d’you think I’m trying to fucking do? My shoulder’s still hurting from the gatehouse business. You’d better stay with me to protect this door. They’re outnumbered and they’ll be desperate to escape.”

Eric had already seen the situation and he positioned himself next to Drustina’s injured hand so she could fight with her free, ...but still painful ... arm. She thanked him and the two took station as they watched the mayhem unfolding in the tavern. Several attempts were made to rush the door but in the confined space, Eric and Drustina easily held off all comers. Within minutes the fight was over and Drustina’s lieutenants started counting the cost as they prepared to move out. Her men were guessing that perhaps a couple of the jarl’s men had escaped through windows or back doors to spread the alarm; nobody could be certain.

Drustina’s arm was bandaged up in a sling to rest the injured wrist then she went over to the giant jarl who was still alive. Her demand for information accompanied by a sharp prod with her sword elicited a single swear word. It was obvious he was not going to reveal any useful information so she despatched him without compunction. A single slash across the throat caused his blood to spurt but it only added to the bloodied mess that covered her shirt.

Queen Elthorn saw the execution and the flat expressionless reaction from Drustina. The girl’s grey/blue eyes were seemingly blank and without emotion as she cleaned her blade in her own shirt tails. Elthorn shuddered as she recognised the cold, expressionless face of death. She still could not decide if this warrior queen had blue or grey eyes.

‘This Lioness of Carthage was truly a force to be feared.’ She thought. ‘So what now?’ The queen wondered as her husband fussed over his favourite, the young captain of the palace guard. Elthorn studied the interplay and realised that King Athun only had eyes for his companion who had at least acquitted himself credibly, judging by the blood on his once smartly decorated uniform. She turned despondently as Drustina appeared beside her.

“Come on your majesty, we have to get to the haven and contact our ships. Make haste!”

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome back Drustina

I have missed you O warrior Princess. You're injured again. Girlfriend, you must protect that wonderful body better.

And as for Athun, where o where would those gay boys be without their trans and sapphic sisters?

Keep these tales coming, O Disgraceful One. Please please please

Joani

Y The Angry Mermaid

Thank you for this last great chapter. Every day since I read it, I com eto this site looking for the next one and often , when I see it is not here yet, I go away without reading anything else. this shos you how special your story is.
Isabelle Audet