Somewhere Else Entirely -50-

Printer-friendly version

The noon parade means changes for many of those taking part. A tricky disciplinary situation is resolved... or is it? At a banquet that evening Garia comes face-to-face with some of Robanar's nobles... and gives as good as she gets.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

50 - Oaths and Consequences


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



At the front of the palace the courtyard was full of men. Since, as Robanar had lamented, the courtyard was no longer deep enough to allow a full file to stand as a column, they stood in fives, with Quadrants numbered from left to right as Garia viewed them. Four Quadrants were present, the men normally training or due time off making up the numbers, but the night shift was not present barring four men who provided a token presence. On the far right stood more files of men, some of whom were the trainees about to be inducted into the guard as full members. Another group stood beyond the trainees, all obviously seasoned men, but Garia did not know why they were standing separately.

Garia, of course, was seated on Snep facing the patiently waiting men. She was now wearing one of her normal riding costumes with the addition of the two swords, but the pink sash she had always worn previously had been proudly replaced with the 'differenced' sash Robanar had previously presented to her.

Next to Garia, on her own newly-assigned frayen, sat Merizel, desperately trying to keep a manic grin from her face. She was dressed in another novel costume which consisted of a cream blouse under a dark blue hacking jacket with a matching dark blue circular skirt. Her footwear was the same as Garia's but without the added scabbard. On her head she wore a helmet which had an iron frame but covered with heavy cloth and fashioned to resemble a bowler hat. Around her jacket was a sash identical to that which Garia wore.

Robanar, Terys and Keren walked out of the palace entrance and stood at the top of the steps. Behind them a number of nobles followed, spreading themselves along the sides of the palace so that they could watch. One or two caught sight of the mounted women and pointed them out, but the formality of the proceedings prevented them doing much else.

Bleskin called the waiting men to order. "Parade, attend!"

Heels stamped and spear ends thumped on the cobbles. Terys and Keren took their places on the seats provided for them but Robanar remained standing. Silence fell for a moment, broken only by slight noise from the crowd who had gathered outside the railings to watch the proceedings.

Bleskin turned to Robanar and saluted stiffly. "Palace Guard ready for your inspection, Sire."

Robanar nodded but said nothing. The moments multiplied. Then, a bell sounded over the palace rooftops and every man on parade stiffened. Bleskin walked forward, stopping at the foot of the steps to salute again.

"I ask permission to be relieved of my post, Sire," he said in a crisp parade voice.

The King bowed his head once. "Permission granted, Captain. Mount the steps, if you would."

Bleskin climbed the steps and stood in front of Robanar, who clasped right arms with him before embracing him.

"You are relieved, Captain Bleskin," Robanar said softly. "May you have a long and happy retirement. Know that you will always be made welcome in our palace."

Bleskin tried to keep a businesslike expression as he pulled back from his King but the emotion threatened to break through.

"As you command, Sire." He managed a creditable salute.

"Stand with me, Bleskin. Let us inspect this fine body of men you have trained to protect your Sovereign and his people."

"Sire."

Robanar turned to face the courtyard and called out, "Captain Merek!"

Merek marched from where he had been positioned on the far right of the parade to stand at the foot of the steps. He thumped out a salute.

"Sire!"

"Captain Merek, are you ready to assume the command of the Palace Guard, to organize, train and supervise these men in the business of protecting their sovereign as they are sworn to, even if death should take them?"

"Sire, I am."

"Then, Captain, you are confirmed in your appointment as commander of the Palace Guard. Fail in your own duty at peril of your own life."

"As you command, Sire!" Merek gave another salute. "And... thank you, Sire."

"Then, Captain, it seems there are matters for your attention. You may continue."

Merek turned to face the ranks. From the right two men in uniform approached, one bearing a sheet of parchment, to stand beside Merek. The parchment was held so that the captain could read it.

Ah. An adjutant or something like that.

"Guardsman Feteran! Stand forward!"

From the uniformed group at the far right Feteran marched out to stand just in front of Merek.

Feteran's voice could be heard over the whole courtyard. "Permission to be relieved of my post, sir."

"Your reasons for leaving the guard?"

"To join the household of Baroness Blackstone as commander of her men-at-arms, sir."

"Permission granted."

Feteran stepped forward and Merek reached and removed the sash from Feteran's waist, handing it to the second man beside him. Feteran saluted and then marched to the left to stand in front of Garia. She slid from Snep's back to stand in front of Feteran, who saluted her.

"Milady. I make myself available to take up the position offered me as part of your household."

"You have my consent to join my household, and gladly," she replied. She turned and took one of a number of sashes looped over Snep's back and then secured it around Feteran's waist. "Welcome to House Blackstone, commander."

"Thank you, My Lady."

Feteran saluted, then turned on his heel and faced the parade. Garia remounted Snep with a flourish. Since she now had a senior man-at-arms, it would be Feteran who inducted the remaining men of those they had chosen between them.

"Guardsman Tord! Step forward!"

Tord followed Feteran in resigning from the Royal Guard and joining Garia's men, the sash being presented by her new commander. He was followed by five more men who formed a file standing beside Snep facing the parade. Once this had been done Merek called more men from the rightmost file who all retired for various reasons. These men took positions on the other side of the steps to where Garia was positioned.

When all those retiring had been dealt with the recruits were called forward one by one. Merek removed their white sashes and presented them with new purple-and-blue sashes, making them formal members of the guard. To show that these were new men the sashes had a thin white edging to them which Garia had been told would be removed after a year's service.

"Parade, attend!"

Merek didn't quite have the authority that Bleskin had managed, but Garia knew that it would come with age and experience. Everyone left standing came to attention and then saluted. Some of the men beside her twitched but managed to resist what had become ingrained in them since they had been themselves recruited. From now on, only Garia or Feteran could give these men commands which they would obey.

More commands, and the files wheeled left and marched off in order, back to resume whatever they had been doing beforehand. With a soft spoken command Garia's men came to attention and then followed Garia and Merizel as they in turn followed the Royal Guard from the courtyard. Once out of sight of the front entrance, however, they halted and Garia and Merizel dismounted, handing the reins to two of the men to take the frayen back to the stables. Dismissing the remaining men, Feteran led the way into the palace by a side door.

"Where are they being kept, Feteran?"

"One in each of the small training rooms, milady," he replied.

"Lead on then, but I expect we'll have to wait for His Majesty and Captain Merek before we can see them. After all, technically this has nothing to do with us any more."

Feteran nodded and gave a wry smile. "As you say, milady. It will take us all some time to adjust our thinking to the new ways."

By the time they reached the Large Training Room they had been joined by Jenet and Bursila, now back in their palace uniforms but with the differenced sashes indicating their new allegiance. Garia turned to Feteran.

"We're going to need Master Haflin, I think."

"I'll fetch him, milady. If I cut across the field..."

Feteran turned and headed for the rear door to the hall. By walking across the field to the Armory he would save time otherwise spent threading his way through the corridors of the palace. He returned with Haflin just as Robanar, Keren and Merek appeared from the other direction. Garia and Merizel curtseyed.

"Sire, you do not mind me becoming involved? Technically -"

Robanar flicked a hand in dismissal. "You are involved up to your neck, Garia. Explain this disturbance to me. A most unseemly interruption to an important ceremony."

"Sire. I asked Master Haflin to supply me with a sword but he could not because of my size. Among the trophies of war we discovered swords from the far West which we learned had been used by women. A guardsman who originally came from there... had knowledge of the use of these swords, but was afraid to reveal it because of solemn oaths he had made before he departed his home country. We worked out - that is, myself, Keren, Master Haflin and the guardsman - worked out a way for him to teach me the method without the fact that his oath was broken becoming known."

Garia paused. "Ah, Sire, I am breaking another oath merely by telling you all this. I hope -"

Robanar surprised her, then. "You are speaking of the Six Cities, then? I know of the oaths that the young men make before they seek their fortunes elsewhere in Alaesia. What you tell us will go no further than those standing here. So, I begin to understand what happened earlier. The moment you appeared wearing those scabbards on your back another guardsman from the Cities immediately jumped to a conclusion that might not have been correct. Is this not so?"

"That's about right, Sire." Garia shrugged. "Actually, he's probably right, but D'Kenik's honor wouldn't let me go without a weapon when he knew that there was something available I could use. I don't think he can be blamed for the disturbance."

"As you say, Garia." Robanar thought for a moment, his face serious. "Very well, milady. I take it you have a solution to offer?"

"No, Sire. Technically, it's no longer my problem. It's a matter of discipline for Captain Merek to take care of. If you wish I could offer advice. But... I have a thought, Sire. During the disturbance, I learned something... unexpected. May I speak with D'Kenik first? You may all join me, it would not be private."

"As you wish, Garia. Merek, where are these men?"

"In the small rooms, Sire. I don't know which -"

"Captain," Feteran cut in, "I believe D'Kenik is in the Small Training Room."

There were two men in the room with D'Kenik, all sitting on one of the side benches. Beside them were empty plates and tankards showing that they had been fed while they were waiting. All jumped to their feet and saluted when they saw the party bearing down on them.

"All right, you men," Merek indicated the two attendants. "We won't be needing you any longer, you may return to your duties."

As the two walked off Garia approached the third. "D'Kenik, speak to me, please."

"What do you want me to say, milady? I didn't know what -"

"No! I mean, speak to me in your own language, if you would. Anything. Tell me about your home, your family."

A startled D'Kenik flicked his eyes to the men standing behind Garia before he composed himself and began speaking. At first it was just a strange jumble of sounds but it sounded to Garia as though it ought to have been familiar. As he continued words suddenly began popping out of the stream of sounds, words she could understand, and then quite suddenly everything clarified.

"...father was Over-Tender of the Fisheries of K'kdaril and he reported directly to the Guide of the Commune. There were more than ninety fishing craft there when I left home. My -"

"Stop! That's enough, thank you D'Kenik." She switched to his language. "It seems that I am able to understand you."

D'Kenik's eyes widened and he looked at her in amazement. Garia turned to Robanar.

"Sire, it would appear that I can speak the language of the Six Cities. Until today I had never heard a word of it spoken, but as far as I can tell it's all there in my head, just as the Valley tongue was there. I just had to hear it spoken to recognize it."

"Milady, I do not understand."

"Neither do I, Sire." She frowned. "That's a discussion for another time, I think." She turned to the guardsman. "D'Kenik, what will happen now that the secret of the swords is out?"

"He will seek my death, milady. That is the fate of all oathbreakers."

Haflin spoke up. "How does he know that it was you who broke any oath? Is he merely guessing, because you and milady undertook private training? How would he have known of that?"

D'Kenik shook his head. "I cannot answer that, master. He must assume so because of my association with Milady Garia these last months."

Haflin turned to Robanar. "We will deny it, of course. It was I who taught the craft of the double swords to Milady Garia. More than that it would be unwise for me to say, Sire."

Robanar's mouth twitched as he figured out what Haflin's careful words implied. "As you say, Master Armorer. D'Kenik, I deem you have done little wrong by the customs of Palarand, but your situation has become difficult. If not this other guardsman, then some other of your own lands may accuse you. How do we answer this riddle?"

Robanar turned to Merek who shook his head. "I have no answer, Sire. We may discharge D'Kenik, but that is poor reward for an act of assistance."

"If I may, Sire," Feteran said. "The Baroness's men-at-arms presently number but six only and myself. We did not wish to take another of those she has taught the unarmed combat, since that would reduce the number of those who may instruct others. However, if he is willing, he may be safer in her retinue than among the Royal Guard."

"Merek?"

"Sire, I would be loath to lose a good man who I know is a diligent, hard worker as are all who hail from those lands of the West. Given the present circumstances, however, it may be for the best. D'Kenik? How say you? Would you be prepared to transfer to Baroness Garia's retinue?"

D'Kenik came to attention. "Sir, you must know I would prefer to stay and protect my King. If I did, my presence would only cause further difficulty in the future. I may cause less trouble by transferring, sir."

"You know that the Baroness is likely to reside in the palace for the great part of each year? You will doubtless be in contact with others of your race, still in the guard?"

"It would not be the same, sir. My duties in serving the Baroness and her party would make any contact of a different kind."

Merek turned to Garia. "Baroness?"

She smiled at him. "Captain, when Feteran and I chose our small band D'Kenik was one of those high on our original list. We will welcome him."

Merek turned to D'Kenik. "Guardsman, I regret losing you but Milady Garia will be that much safer with you by her side. You are thus relieved of your post and discharged from the Royal Guard without stain on your character. Milady?"

"D'Kenik?"

"My Lady. I request permission to join your household as a man-at-arms."

"Permission granted, D'Kenik. Welcome to House Blackstone. I'm sure Feteran will organize the details of your transfer."

"As you say, milady," her commander confirmed.

"Very well," Robanar said, his expression hardening. "It is done. Now, we have a more serious matter to conclude. Lead the way, Merek."

Back in the big hall Feteran led D'Kenik off to manage the formalities. It was judged that it would not be a good idea to let D'Janik come close to him again, even under controlled conditions. The rest of the party went into the Self Defense Training Room. Here, as before, D'Janik and his minders were sat on one of the benches with food containers stacked up beside them. They all sprang to attention when Robanar and the others entered.

D'Janik stepped forward and went on one knee in front of Robanar, his head bowed. "Your Majesty! I beg pardon for my inexcusable behavior."

"As well you might, guardsman! What were you thinking, brawling in front of my assembled nobles! And during Milady Garia's coming of age ceremony. I would not blame her if she ran you through where you stood."

D'Janik lifted his head and glanced at Garia, his expression unreadable. Then he addressed himself to Robanar.

"Sire, it is difficult for me to explain. In my youth, before I left my homeland, I was told that there were things which must not be spoken of..."

"Yes, yes!" Robanar said testily. "I know all about the oaths the Six Cities make their young men swear when they leave." D'Janik stared at him with astonishment. "Did you think you were the first from your lands to come to Palarand? Did you think we knew nothing of what happened there? I am King, I correspond with the Over-Guide of the Six Cities, I know of these matters. Oh, not often it is true, but we do send each other letters from time to time. Now, you considered that another of your kinsmen had broken his oath, did you not?"

"Sire, I do."

"Then, why did you not wait until a quieter moment to confront him with the matter? Why disturb a sacred ceremony as you did, and alarm all who were in the room? You barely survived being run through, but for Milady Garia's intervention." By now Robanar was noticeably angry.

D'Janik said nothing, his eyes downcast again.

"Boy," Haflin spoke into the silence. D'Janik looked up at him. "Your fears were without foundation. It was I who taught the Baroness the art of double blades. I am the King's Armorer, it is my business to know the methods of war. Another matter. Did you think that the Six Cities are the only people to practice such an art as this? The world is larger than you imagine, guardsman."

After a pause D'Janik said, "Sire, I admit my fault. I am bound by my oaths to challenge others who I consider may have broken such oaths, but I should not have brought such conflict to your palace, Sire."

Robanar looked down at the kneeling man. "I cannot give judgment on matters properly the domain of Six Cities, guardsman. I knew - and Captain Bleskin knew - of your oaths when you joined the guard, and we knew that there should be no conflict between them and your sworn duty to Palarand. However," he continued, "you allowed yourself to become distracted while you were supposed to be protecting your King and that is unforgivable. You were in that room to protect me from my nobles! Instead, we nearly had a battle in confined circumstances. Guardsman, there is no option. Merek?"

"As you say, Sire. Guardsman D'Janik, you are immediately discharged from the Royal Guard. A mark of disgrace will be added to your record. You will be escorted to your quarters to collect your belongings and then escorted from the palace grounds. You may not return within the palace grounds for any reason on pain of death. Sire, do you wish to add any further penalty?"

Robanar considered. "No, that is enough. D'Janik, you acted, as you thought, on a matter of honor and I can in part understand your response. That does not excuse your behavior today. While you might no longer be trusted to guard your Sovereign, there is no reason that you may not find other employment within Palarand. Therefore, we shall not seek to banish you from our kingdom."

D'Janik rose and bowed low. "Sire, thank you for your clemency. It was a moment of anger I shall ever regret."

The two minders formed up either side of D'Janik and led him away accompanied by Merek. Robanar turned to the others.

"It is finished! Garia, please let the rest of this day pass in peace! We have had enough excitement for a while. Haflin, thank you for your support... and your carefully chosen words. Keren, Garia, we must return to our chambers, else we face the wrath of the Queen. Our nap awaits, and today I need it."

Walking through the corridors he asked Garia, "The language of the Six Cities. Were you aware that you knew the tongue?"

"Sire, I did not, not until today. I had never heard a word until that fight this morning." She paused. "Uh, well, I did hear a word or two before. I asked D'Kenik what his full name was when he started... I mean, when Master Haflin started teaching me the swords. He'd told us that D'Kenik was the name of his house, as back home he's the son of a noble."

Robanar stopped dead and turned to her. "He is a noble?"

"Only back home, Sire. He told us that he didn't want to be treated specially over here."

They resumed walking and she added, "I only know the words, Sire. I don't know any names, or status, or customs, or anything like that. Like when I came to the Valley, I'd only become familiar with his tongue if I spent some time there."

"So, why would you know a tongue from such a remote place? Have you an answer, Garia?"

She shook her head. "Not yet, Sire, I have only known that I knew it since the fight. Let me think about what's happened for a day or two, I may have some theories by then. This has all been as much a surprise to me as it must have been to yourself. Don't forget also, Sire, that where I came from, Palarand is a very remote place."

~o~O~o~

"It still stings, Jenet, especially the left one." Garia's left hand came up towards her ear but she thought better of it and let it drop into her lap.

"The annoyance is no more than an insect bite, milady," Jenet said, holding up a sash, "and it will soon be as nothing. "

The little jeweler, Fulvin, had turned up three days earlier with a personal gift for Garia. A pair of delicate silver ear studs in the shape of a five-petaled flower, the center being a tiny emerald. It had been necessary for her to go to the salon to have Shelda pierce her ears, an ordeal Garia hoped she would never have to suffer ever again. The application of a hot needle had been aggravated by the use of alcohol to ensure the wound stayed clear of infection, a practice that ironically she herself had suggested some weeks previously.

Gary had not approved of the piercing of body parts in either boys or girls, considering them practices more connected with wild primitive tribes than with twenty-first century civilization. It was only the thought of disappointing Fulvin that had caused Garia to relent in the end. She looked at her face in the mirror above the vanity table. The studs were barely visible under her cropped hair but sparkled as she turned her head. There was no immediate emotional connection for her with jewelry, that was something that girls wore, not boys, although there had been a disturbing trend just recently among some of Gary's classmates.

But I'm a girl now, and this is what we do, especially in this place and time. Mind you, that tiara looks good now we've figured out how to fix it on to this hairstyle.

"If you would stand now, milady, so that I may tie your sashes."

Another change that had come with formal adulthood. Around her waist Jenet carefully tied the 'differenced' sash that indicated her link with the royal family and then added over her left shoulder the green-on-green sash which showed her right to a noble title. She would wear these two from now on at any formal gathering. On the diagonal sash Jenet pinned a brooch bearing her device or shield and below it added her Guildmistress brooch.

"I think that is everything, milady. Would you turn to allow me to check?"

Since this was a formal dinner Garia had chosen, with advice from the Queen, a fairly orthodox evening gown of cream. It had been decided that after the day's novel outfits the women would wear conventional clothes to both calm the nobles' sensitivities and to demonstrate that Baroness Blackstone could play the game as well as any of them could.

A knock at the door revealed Merizel and Bursila. Both were admitted and the two girls checked each other out. Merizel's gown was a pale blue and of a style that suited the taller girl perfectly. She wore the 'differenced' sash around her waist but no other mark. She, too, had ear studs and wore them with years of familiarity that Garia envied. Her long hair had been carefully piled up on her head, as was the custom, but as a retainer she wore no tiara.

All the women now wore bras as standard. It made the wearing of gowns, especially the long evening ones, that much more comfortable. Most of the palace women had now taken to the garments and although they were not directly visible it was possible to detect who was wearing them by their posture. Garia wondered if the introduction of the bra might turn out to be more fundamental than the introduction of the fork. She turned and her visitors inspected her ensemble.

"You look gorgeous, Garia! So noble, just as you should do. I believe that this was intended for you from the start."

"You look pretty damn hot yourself, Merry. You realize we'll have a room full of possible husbands waiting for us down there?"

Merizel rolled her eyes. "I know! Part of me is eager to value the flesh, so to speak..."

"And?"

"I think I'm becoming as tired as you said you were, Garia. I'm just going to try and get through this evening and then sleep for a week. Oh, unless you have some other mad scheme going, of course, that involved me."

"So... you plan to neglect Topik for a week, do you? That's cruel and heartless, even for you."

"Oh! Of course, I would not neglect him!" Merizel's gaze softened. "I never realized that one could become so fond of a mere beast."

Garia grinned. "Wait till you find a husband."

"Ouch! I hope I can find one who is more than a mere beast, Garia. Do you really think there might be one downstairs?"

"Why not? It's time we found out, don't you think?"

The four made their way along their usual route to the Receiving Room. As one of the largest rooms in the palace it was the natural venue for all state dinners but tonight it would be pressed for space. Tonight, since there were so many to be seated, the tables would be arranged in a format more familiar to Garia. The Royal party would be seated at their thrones on a one-sided table facing the floor, which would have three long tables filled both sides with nobles and their wives.

To Robanar's right sat Garia, and to her right was Bleskin, enjoying for tonight an honored position at the top table despite no longer having any official position. To Bleskin's right sat his wife Taranna. On Terys's left sat Keren, and to his left sat Merizel, permitted tonight in order to balance the alternate man-woman order of diners. On Merizel's left was Merek.

The mix of nobles facing them was different than earlier in the day, since previously all had been men. A small number of them were staying in the palace but most had houses in the city or were staying in inns or with friends. Some had intended to be present only for the official ceremonies and had already departed, others had changed their minds once they had seen Garia only to be refused a seat at the banquet by Kendar. The palace had considered refusing places to the wives because seats were in such demand but Terys objected to that, saying that the wives would be just as interested in Garia as their husbands would. There were one or two ugly scenes and Robanar was left wondering if it was time to build a bigger hall.

On reaching the hall all were ushered immediately to their seats, there being little room for the usual pre-meal casual talk. As Garia sat she became aware that all eyes were fixed on her.

Better get used to it, girl. This is the way it's going to be from now on.

They had arrived before Robanar, Terys or Keren and so had time to get settled before the main business of the evening began. Garia took a few moments to explain to Bleskin what had happened between the two guardsmen earlier and the resulting verdict.

"A pity that it happened, milady. A pity I was not in the room to help prevent the disturbance."

"Just as well you weren't here, captain. It would have been a shame to ruin your last day like that. I was very touched by the ceremony outside."

"Thank you, milady. We have known each other but a short while and yet we have grown to understand each other well." He looked around. "I will miss this place."

"I guess. You're going to be living right the other end of North Palarand? Will you visit us very often?"

"Perhaps, milady. I imagine that as I become older it will be more difficult for me to travel, but I intend to make the most of my health while I may." Bleskin brightened. "But milady, the reverse is also true! Your holdings will not be far from where I intend to retire, shall you not visit us whenever you are nearby?"

Garia placed a hand on his arm, smiling. "You can count on it, captain! I will look forward to seeing you, and I will be able to bring you all the palace gossip whenever I come."

He beamed back at her. "I will look forward to each visit, milady."

Kendar announced the royal couple and the whole room stood. They threaded their way between the tables, followed by Keren, and gained their seats. Once everyone was seated again the servants immediately began bringing out the food. There were just enough forks for every diner and Garia observed the usual antics as those who were familiar with them explained their use to those who had never seen them before.

The meal proceeded to a conclusion, the nobles taking the opportunity of stocking up on free food. Garia had arranged with Jenet that her goblet held water most of the time, because she knew that she needed a clear head for what was to follow. Finally every plate was emptied, all the toasts had been completed and the meal was at an end. Servants cleared the tables and then carefully removed the tables themselves from around the diners, there being very little room for everyone to keep out of the way. Finally the seats were redistributed, forming arcs facing the thrones, and everyone sat down again to await developments.

"My Lords and Ladies," Robanar began, standing in front of his throne, "We shall keep our seats for now and not hold the reception you are all accustomed to enjoying here. There are too many of you to be comfortable in this room tonight, and certainly no room for musicians or dancing, even if any of you have the energy left to consider dancing." He smiled at his audience, some of whom were having difficulty staying awake after eating so much. "I have beside me a young woman," he indicated Garia, "who I know many of you will wish to question. Rather than everyone crowding around her and all asking the same questions it will be better if you ask from where you sit, and we shall hear the answers together. Once your curiosity is satisfied then perhaps we might scatter the chairs and continue as usual. Who wishes to ask the first question?"

And so Anmar gets it's first News Conference.

A man stood, the one who had questioned her age at the ceremony.

"Milady, this morning you talked of days of nineteen bells and years of fewer days than three hundred ninety-one. How is this possible? I know that days may become shorter or longer, as the seasons progress, but they are balanced by longer or shorter nights."

Robanar looked at Garia, who responded, "My Lord, the days of which we spoke are not those of Anmar. I was not born on this world but another called Earth, which is a very long way away."

That produced a barrage of questions. How did you get here? How is it you can speak our tongue like a native born? What is it like on your world? Will you be going back, and if so, when? Why did you come here? Are those forks anything to do with you?

Garia tried to answer these questions and many others as clearly and as carefully as she could, telling no lies and only holding back information where it touched on sensitive matters. She also limited her apparent knowledge of technology, saying only that there were 'one or two' ways in which she might help her adopted home, of which the forks were but the first. Some of her audience was plainly skeptical but none could deny that she was not a regular local girl, her display earlier that day had demonstrated that. Some wanted to see her demonstrate her martial prowess but that was obviously not practical. Robanar arranged on the spot a small demonstration for those interested to be held in the Large Training Hall the following morning.

Finally Robanar called a halt to the questions as Garia was obviously tiring. He managed to answer some questions about the Yod invasion upriver and then decided that the formal session should break up to allow refreshments to be taken. The chairs were arranged in groups and everyone dispersed to talk about what they had heard tonight. Garia moved over to sit by Keren and Merizel, accepting a drink of fruit juice from Jenet. An older man managed to talk his way past the servants unobtrusively keeping a space free around them and Merizel leaped to her feet.

"Father!"

"My, my, daughter, how have you risen in the world! Shall you introduce me?"

"Of course, father. Everyone, this is my father Baron Kamodar of South Reach. May I introduce Lady Garia, Baroness of Blackstone and this of course is Prince Keren."

Keren stood and found a spare chair. "A seat, sir. No need to stand on ceremony. Merry's father is welcome here."

Kamodar sat and addressed Keren. "Highness, I was amazed when a letter from my daughter told me that she had accepted a post in the palace. I am more amazed by the company she now seems to keep. Will you assure me that she earns her place among you? We are always noted as hard workers, I would like to think she is the same."

Garia replied, "My Lord, she is. You may think that she is just a servant to a peculiar girl, but she is my constant companion and friend. Without her help I would have been completely lost in this strange new world."

"Oh, Garia, you shouldn't," Merizel said with a blush. "I do what I can, father, and some of it is not very hard, but the company is good and the work is very interesting."

"And you now follow Milady Garia to her new house? I was there this morning, I heard you swear."

"Father, I do. She needs me, and to tell the truth I needed her. Before she came I was just another bored young girl and now I feel that I am able to do something useful for my Lady and my King."

"And, of course," Garia added with a smile, "there is plenty of time for us to be silly young ladies together if we so wish. Merry and I do not allow status to come between us, my lord. We are just friends, doing what we are each capable of."

"A happy result, then, for both of you. Tell me, do you yet think of husbands? I know it may yet be early for you, milady, but a husband is a natural companion to any woman."

"Truthfully, my lord, I am too busy for such matters as husbands. But yes, we both keep our eyes open, taking note of possible opportunities as they pass in front of us."

"A constant pastime of many young women, I hear! If I may ask, what might happen to your holdings should you then marry? Shall it become a dowry to your new husband?"

Ah. Typical baron, thinking about lands and such. Good job Kendar thought of such things when he drew up the charter for my barony.

"My lord, it would not. I don't understand the exact details, but there's something called an adverse entail on the barony. When I married - if I married - my husband gets no control over Blackstone. And when I die it would pass to the eldest child who is not eligible to take my husband's title, whether male or female. A complicated matter, my lord, but I am assured it is often done this way when a barony is created for a woman."

"As you say, milady. I have heard that the lands granted you are not very rich, is that so?"

"Yes, my lord. It was deliberately done that way to give me a title but not to upset any of the more senior nobles. I'm sure you understand these things. I have heard that there might be some kind of mining potential, but I won't know until I've visited my lands and spoken to experts. Meanwhile, it gives me a bodyguard and some useful rights, which is the main thing. You do know there have been at least two attempts to kidnap me since I've been in Palarand?"

"Merizel did write me such a tale in one of her letters, but I did not know if it were a young woman's fantasy. Excuse me, Merizel, for being so blunt. When she was younger," he said to Garia, "she had such an imagination! So, tell me what happened, milady. Where we live in South Reach we may not tell truth from rumor, and I would hear the truth."

"My lord, perhaps this is not the best place or time for such stories. Are you staying in the city? If so, may I suggest that you return to the palace tomorrow and then you can spend some time with your daughter in relative comfort, and we would be glad to tell you whatever you might want to know."

"I am staying overnight, it is true. I wondered whether to attend the demonstration His Majesty has proposed tomorrow, perhaps if I did so we might meet afterward."

"As you say, my lord. I will arrange it so."

Merizel asked, "What of mother, father? Did she not come with you to the city?"

"Alas no, my child. She remains behind this time to supervise our holdings. Milady, is it possible that you might visit our humble home one day? It is but two days coach ride from the palace, and I expect Merizel will wish to visit her old home once more."

"I really couldn't say right now, my lord. You are aware that we travel north with the King in two weeks time? The plan is for me to visit my holdings and return here before winter sets in, but we have no travel plans beyond those."

"I had heard, milady, and I wish you a safe journey on your travels." Kamodar rose from his chair. "Now, I think that I have taken enough of your time, it seems others wish to find out more about the unusual and very beautiful young woman who has entranced our King."

"Before you leave," Keren said as he stood as well, "I must introduce you to my father and mother. If you would come this way, baron."

Keren shepherded Kamodar off to be presented to his parents and Merizel bent her head to speak to Garia.

"He hasn't changed much. I love him because he's my daddy, but I know what he's like. Mother didn't come with him because he's too mean to pay the extra bills at the inn. You'll notice how rapidly he brought the conversation around to marriage and then your lands." Her expression became one of disgust. "He thought to find a way to your holding through me, Garia. I won't allow that to happen." She smiled then. "Perhaps your attitude is making itself felt on myself, Garia. I find these men who surround us not so fearsome as I once might."

"Hold on to that thought, Merry. I suspect those to come will be somewhat more blatant."

And so it proved. A steady trickle of men both young and old ventured near to inquire, just as a merest example, what the ladies' attitude to marriage might be, and what could milady tell them about her holdings? Garia reasoned that the best defense was attack, noting that their erstwhile suitors would not have lasted five minutes back in Kansas.

- - -

"My lord, when I choose a man who is capable of matching my standards, if I should ever find such a person, then I would at least select one who bathes more than once a week."

- - -

"My lord, it is too early for me to begin thinking about children. Although, if the state of your manhood is anything like the state of your teeth, I would doubtless remain childless should I marry you."

- - -

"But, my lord, your eyes point in two different directions. However would you find me at night?"

- - -

I really didn't pay enough attention in school! But why would I? Gary wasn't a mall-dweller like most of the girls at home, he preferred to be outside. These guys aren't as oily as Jarwin was - at least none of the ones I've seen so far are - but they're just as obvious in their clumsy attempts to butter me up. Hah! Like that'll ever happen. And my blatant return insults don't seem to faze them much, either. I just hope they are taking these smart-ass comments the way that they are intended.

- - -

"As far as I have been told, my lord, my holdings are a pile of rocks with a canyon running through them, fit for only herders and their flocks. You will doubtless know that the grant of lands is only a token gesture by the King. I'm not sure that they would be of interest to you, since you have just told me you are but a farmer."

"But, milady, many lords have token lands in this or another part of the kingdom. You would doubtless wish to spend your time here in the city in comfort, would you not? A mansion in a quiet quarter, perhaps? I could -"

"My lord, you forget I already reside in the palace. I'm quite comfortable, thank you. Is it your intention to overthrow your King, then?"

- - -

"You watched me ride, my lord? Yes, it is true. In the country of my birth it is common for both men and women to ride. Why should it not be? You ride yourself, my lord? I didn't know that they made saddles to fit the backs of dranakhs."

This one, who must have weighed well in excess of three hundred pounds, turned an already florid face even darker and addressed himself with outrage to Robanar.

"Sire! I am insulted! This young woman, this girl, should not speak to her elders and betters in such a manner! Do you not hold court here? Is she not in your charge?"

Robanar turned to face the overweight count. "Fetchell," he said lazily, "the nobles insult Milady Garia by their incessant questions. If you feel that you have been truly insulted, count, then I'm sure that the Baroness will make answer to you - in the ring of honor." Robanar smiled. "Shall it be arranged?"

Fetchell paled and licked his lips. "Ah, no, Sire. You are doubtless right, perhaps we beset the baroness with questions. With your leave, I shall retire."

The next one didn't even bother with Garia but went straight to the top.

"Sire, you seem as one bemused since this woman appeared at your door. We appreciate the joke, Sire, but perhaps it is time to finish with the business. Her smart words lower the dignity of your court, Sire, and offend your nobles. Should she not be put aside now? Does she not interfere with the smooth administration of your kingdom? Does she not intend to usurp the position of the Queen in your affections?"

That got Terys's attention. "Count Ranard," she said in tones of steel. "Make no mistake on this matter. Milady Garia resides in the palace with my full consent and with my express permission. She has done more for my husband's kingdom in four months than you have managed in twenty years. It is true that her words are sometimes sharp but then she has not had time to learn the full flavor of the Valley tongue." And nobody in the room believes that. "Shall I require that Milady Garia gentles her words for you?"

"If you would, ma'am."

Terys turned to Garia. "Garia, behave yourself."

"As you command, ma'am," Garia replied with a perfectly straight face.

"Ranard," Robanar added. "I may not be as young as I once was, but I am not yet old and decrepit. I have known from the beginning exactly who and what Milady Garia is, and she enjoys no less the confidence of myself and the Queen than does my son the Prince. Are you answered?"

Ranard backed away, growing visibly smaller as he went. "I am, Sire."

The meeting continued for perhaps another bell but by now word had gone round the hall that perhaps the strange new young noblewoman wasn't a good prospect for marriage right now, and the attentions slackened. Finally a number of the lords left to find their beds and Kendar declared the evening ended. Garia, Merizel and Keren headed for their rooms with Jenet and Bursila in tow.

"What do you think, Keren?" Garia asked.

"About the nobles? Um, about what I would have expected, I think. The problem is, of course, that many of them are so busy with their own affairs they don't spend time wondering what's happening in the wider world. It was quite instructive how they all shot their arrows at the same targets, though, your marriage status and the extent of your lands. Of course, my own position means I've never had to deal with any of that nonsense."

"Think how I feel, Highness," Merizel said with feeling, "eligible but with no lands and probably not much dowry either."

"As you say, Merry. Did you see any prospects tonight?"

She sniffed. "I wouldn't let most of them get within a spear's length of me, Highness. Ugly brutes, aren't they?"

"Some of them weren't so old," Garia protested. "What about that one young man? The one whose parents died in a fire?"

"Maybe him," Merizel conceded. "Most were like my father though. Mean and grasping."

"Is there a better way, Garia?" Keren asked. "Are there such people on your own world as we have seen tonight?"

"Oh, yes. They might not call themselves nobles but their attitudes - and sometimes their levels of cleanliness - are much the same as here."

They said good-night to Merizel and continued to their own corridor.

"We didn't get to speak to hardly any of the wives this evening, did we?" Garia noted. "Those who brought them allowed them to be introduced but I only got to talk to about three, I think."

Keren snorted. "Why would you be surprised, Garia? I would expect that most of them wanted to keep their wives as far away from you as possible, to prevent infection with your strange and unsettling ways! Who knows, we might end by having women who ride frayen, fight with or without weapons or even worse, do something useful with their lives besides raising children!"

Garia stopped and looked up at Keren with concern. "That's not really how they see me, is it? A trouble maker? Am I building up problems for your father because he's allowing me to do all these new things?"

Keren smiled at her and took her hand, which made her all flutter inside. "Father knows exactly what he's doing, and we think that those who are opposed to the changes you bring are easily the smaller faction in Palarand, Garia." They resumed walking. "And once the changes begin to trickle through to everyone and people discover that they can make money, become richer, the doubters should fall away." His expression hardened. "When my father eventually goes to his final sleep, Garia, these people will have me to deal with instead. I think I'm beginning to understand the significance of what is to come in a way that my father cannot, because our education has been different. I'm not going to let a group of ignorant barons spoil the future for everyone else."

Garia sighed. "I hope that you're right, Keren. For all our sakes."

They turned into the corridor leading to their respective suites.

"That's that," Keren said. "We can all have a good rest, now, at least for a few days."

"Agreed! Although, I'll soon have to start preparing for our visit to the Society of Questors. Will you be joining your father and myself?"

"With reluctance. Those Questors make the nobles look like six-year-olds, although as before, there are exceptions. Are you expecting trouble, then?"

"What do you think? I'm just a know-nothing girl, aren't I? I think I would refuse to go if your father were not present to enforce some kind of discipline."

"As you say, Garia. Well, here we are. Good-night to you."

"And to you, Keren."

up
383 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Garia Is Great

joannebarbarella's picture

A little bit of Earth sassiness went a long way with the rustic nobles. They were playing out of their league.

I can hardly wait to see the expressions on their faces when "a pile of rocks with a canyon running through them" becomes the powerhouse of the country.

Mind you, that will take some time, so she will need a little bit of happiness along the way,

Joanne

Powerhouse

WillowD's picture

I am also looking forward to when Blackrock becomes powerful and famous. I'm also looking forward to the questor's meeting.

Hmm.

Well we already knew Garia can have a tongue as sharp as her wit. And she doesn't hesitate with either when they are needed, does she? These next few chapters should be very interesting.

Maggie

Somewhere Else Entirely -50-

Did she have fun?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I can see a disturbance forming in Paraland.

And, wow, I wonder what will be the product?

I think that many of us on this site have a stylized view of how the sexes interact, but having had a conversation at dinner last night with one of my roommates, even Earth women view many men as mean, loathsome, animals who smell like goats. Not that they hate them, but all women view men with much caution and wariness.

So, now I see fertile story telling ground, where Lady Garia is likely to create quite a stir.

Wonderful writing, thank you very much. !

Gwendolyn

'even Earth women view many

'even Earth women view many men as mean, loathsome, animals who smell like goats'

And that is not enough to turn them off? What kind of masochists are those women? Thank Goddess that on average women have better hygiene.

Kim

Many of the *nobles* need an attitude ajustment

And I suspect it will come from their wives and daughters. Just the sight of the new women riding style alone will cause change. I see Merzel beyond being a world of info to Garia on male/female issues and local customs also has strong interest in changing the status quo. They are teaching each other. She does not think much of her father, at least anything positive. I wonder what Garia's relation with her parents was?

And there was a telling comment about how once people realize there is MONEY to be made from the *new ways* opposition to Garia will drop preciously. Except among diehards. I noticed already a *following* of her has begin. I noted the *in the know* teaching others about forks for example. Bra's are clearly a HIT. Hum, how soon until they can make the sexier ones or a Wonder Bra?

-- grin --

Bikinis?

O.M.G.!

The king MAY have revealed his true feelings about Garia, as did Terys in quieter way.

I quote...

>>
"Ranard," Robanar added. "I may not be as young as I once was, but I am not yet old and decrepit. I have known from the beginning exactly who and what Milady Garia is, and she enjoys no less the confidence of myself and the Queen than does my son the Prince. Are you answered?"

Ranard backed away, growing visibly smaller as he went. "I am, Sire."
>>

He has just declared publically he see's Garia as equal to his son, the heir apparent to the throne! First he made her part of the Royal household, then a baroness of a *worthless* land that is in fact far from worthless. And he has let both her and the Prince *come of age* in the same ceremony.

Beyond extending his protection over Garia is he setting things up where it MIGHT be possible for her and Keren to wed? As king he has already changed many old customs. Perhaps it is time to change the one about the heir and suitable wives? And to be fair she is NOT a native of Parland, only adopted and the custom was never a formal law so... And the comments Keren made abiut his being even more determined than his father to carry on Garia's changes to society hints at a strong independent streak. Necessary to rule but also key IF they should ever want to make formal the relationship so many others see/suspect between them. He did not say outright he will chose as he sees fit but he all but said it. And we know he is attracted to her... mind and body.

And despite Garia knowing she cannot have Keren her heart clearly still is his. AND thoughts of men, sizing up potential mates/lovers are no longer alien to her.

Wonder if Yod will make a bid to capture/kill her when she travels to Blackstone? She would be easier to get at then.

Hum, the dismissed guardsman, out fo thee picture, a future threat or will he redeem himself at some critical juncture?

I got the impression her new guard already see that a few years down the road they will be among the most respected/desired men of arms -- and maybe a few women as well -- in the kingdom, second only to the Royal Guard.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. The instant Rossetta StoneTM programming in her mind is very odd. Clearly someone was meant to be sent here from Earth. Still wonder if she was supposed to be her or not. And what of the other/others there are rumors of? Is there a woman's mind in HIS body somewhere? And why Garia in the first place? An accident or ...?

John in Wauwatosa

Reasons for existence

"The instant Rossetta StoneTM programming in her mind is very odd. Clearly someone was meant to be sent here from Earth. Still wonder if she was supposed to be her or not. And what of the other/others there are rumors of? Is there a woman's mind in HIS body somewhere? And why Garia in the first place? An accident or ...?"

No, I'm not about to go all existential on you.

The whole language thing will get an airing in the next chapter, but typically won't result in any clear answers. In part this is because it is bound up with the question underlying this entire saga - is she dead, is she really there, is she a copy of someone, is she in a hospital bed somewhere on Earth dreaming this whole thing? Some other bizarre explanation? Or, worse, more than one of the above?

Of course, Garia has made the decision that even if she's imagining this whole episode she has to treat her situation like it was real life and act accordingly.

These and other questions will be answered, but probably right at the end, which currently is looking further away than ever :( Never mind, just settle back and enjoy the ride!

Penny

Garia

Time for her life as her own in Palarand, instead of just being a protectee of the king, to start as the Baroness of Blackstone. I think it will take either a lot of showing what she can do, or a lot of time, before she is accepted for both an equal and a valuable member of Palarand society by the nobles. Or the questors, for that matter. The guilds though, I think they see the value in what she's doing much more readily, because of course, they are the ones making the stuff and using it and producing things with it and eventually selling it and making money off it.

So long to chidhood

Hello, Baroness B. Take that you so called Nobles! I am sure that while the Questors comments will be meaner, they will be as futile as the Nobles, and how well she is protected now will be seen sooner rather than later I think.
I love how this is playing out, some humor occasionally would be nice, after all life is not always full of tense moments and dire consequences.

Draflow

So many questions ...

There are just so many questions whizzing around in my mind (And so many potentially different answers.)
I won't even bother to list the questions here but I'll sit back and let this story take me where it will.

One question does bother me though. Will the Yod try to kidnap Garia now she has lands close to their territory?

Ah well I can only wait and see. So many, many questions.

Thanks Penny.

XZXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Garia's Lands

Yod is way upriver along the Sirrel, which runs along the rift valley approximately south-west to north-east in direction terms, the sea being to the east here.

The Palar valley, which joins the Sirrel almost at the latter's mouth, cuts into the side of the rift valley and runs in a north-westerly direction into the mountains.

(sigh) I just wish I was smart enough to be able to draw a decent map. Words is my thing, pictures isn't.

This means that, basically, the lands aren't near to one another but separated by mountains and probably a number of countries.

Oh, yeah, you've noticed all the nice loose ends left dangling! Plenty of fun to come yet.

Love the frock. Wish I looked as good in one.

Penny

Maps

A map doesn't have to be detailed or accurate as long as you've got pencil, paper and a scanner (IMHO it's easier to doodle on paper than on screen). Just draw a bunch of wavy lines for the coast and course of the river, a bunch of ^^^ or brown shading for mountain ranges, green shading for forests, shaded grey blobs for major settlements, then around the outside of the neighbours draw arrows pointing to other countries of note.

Alternatively (and even simpler), open up an image editor and just plop in text labels at appropriate places to give a rough idea of where every country/territory is in relation to each other. Possibly add "X1", "X2" etc. for countries which you know exist but aren't important enough to warrant naming.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

50 chapters...

...and still going on. Great story!
Those nobles still underestimate her, but it is their own fault.

Thank you for writing, I can't wait for the next chapter,
Beyogi

Nice ...

Another good chapter, and I admit to loving how Garia verbally dissects her 'suitors'.

I do admit to wondering about a point or two.

Terys is obviously very, very fond of her adopted daughter.
Garia seems equally devoted to her 'mother'.

I wonder when, or if, Garia will actually reach a point where she *calls* Terys 'mother' instead of "ma'am" ... and what Terys' reaction will be ... and what sort of catastrophe will be needed to reach that point.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I've really been enjoying

I've really been enjoying this story, I think the only part I haven't liked so far is that it appears Keren and Garia have no hope of being together as a couple, I honestly can't see how Keran could accept any other woman as his bride. Considering his intelect, his interests and the future could he really accept a brood mare for his queen, that might sound harsh the current queen aside, most noble's sound like they are up themselves. Granted it is the way society was in the middle ages but considering all that is about to occur I find it difficult to believe the King and Queen youldnt try to find a way to allow it, the match would be perfect, both intelligent, resourceful people who both have the qualities that could only make Polerand a better place for all.

I'm stil holding hope you'll find a way for them, it would be a shame if they have to forever suffer unrequeted love, even if they found partners it will forever be there, it could even cause huge conflct should their partners ever become aware of that love.

Anyway great story, thank for sharing

Big hugs

Lizzie :-)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

It's a Setup

terrynaut's picture

Like some other readers have commented, I see a foundation slowly forming that could lead to a union between Keren and Garia. I can hope!

Garia could ride Snep and sweep Keren off his feet. It could happen! *swoon*

Thanks and kudos!

- Terry

D'oh!

You've discovered my cunning plan!

;)

Penny

A cunning plan?

Like one of the Black Adder's "cunning plans"?

Ghod I hope not. Those usually failed, miserably.

John in Wasuwatosa

P.S. to answer Itinerant about the Queen and Garia... IMHO of course.

Garia is learning court proticol so she is loath to upset the Queen but I can see her calling Terys Mom, say after some disaster on her trip to or from Blackstone where a memember of her guard dies or the King or god forbid Kelen is injured protecting her.

Just because it is the other way from Yod does not mean they will not try. Just getting her out of the palace and away from the bulk of the guard who are so enamored/respectful of Garia is to their nefarious favor. Maybe they have a small ship waiting to take hr to a neutral or otherwise *safe* country they can then sneak her into Yod from? Plus maybe they want her dead? IE if they can;t have her make sure no one else does. And THAT could find them *alies* among the more resentful Parland nobles, those wiith something to lose if women ger rights and the trades become wealthy and powerful.Politics making strange bedfellows and all that.

John in Wauwatosa.

P.P.S. once you said we were 1/3rd of the way along or such. Where are we now?

-- snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

How far?

Ooooh, I'd say at least a third of the way by now...

Hm. If you remember (because I didn't, I had to look it up) Robanar wants Garia off somewhere quiet so that she'll be "out of the spotlight", so to speak. He wants everyone to calm down and concentrate on all the changes that are about to happen instead. That might work. Maybe.

The Palar valley is entirely under the control of Palarand, and is surrounded by high mountains. There are routes out the narrow end to the north, north-east and north-west so there will be foreign traffic passing through. Who knows? We might even meet some of it.

Penny

PS If Baldrick came from a family of comics would he have a punning clan?

Relationships

It's plainly evident that the vast majority of nobles in Anmar aren't suitable marriage material for Garia...

...or, indeed, for Merry! While Merry doesn't have much in the way of lands or dowry, hanging out with Garia has caused her to set herself significantly higher standards for a potential suitor than beforehand.

I assume it's more acceptable for maids to remain lifelong spinsters, but I'd imagine that if/when Jenet and Bursila decided to play the dating game, they'd probably expect higher standards than the majority of commoners. Perhaps one of the household guards (that is, assuming either guards or maids are allowed to marry and remain in employment - even if it was for guards and not for maids, I'd imagine Garia trying to change that - after all, with the expected wealth from the mining of blackstone, she'd easily be able to afford babysitting / creches for any staff offspring!)

-oOo-

Meanwhile in the morning another martial arts demonstration - first try with one of the guards (or even Keren), then send round the invite to observers: "Come and have a go if you think you're 'ard enough!" and watch them decide they really need to be getting back home and quietly shuffle towards the exits :) Of course, bonus points for the look on the faces of any that allowed their wives to watch... and their wives... which I'd imagine in some cases might be considerably different... :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

And this is only the beginning of her household

She will need other maids, cooks and footmen and ostlers and landscaping support etc She will be in charge of a household, given her wealth, of at least thirty to forty souls at a guess, including her guard, if she ever sets up household on her own. For now, the palace provides her with the more common support staff.

It will be interesting experience becoming the chatelaine also of her home.

Kim

All engines ahead full

Jamie Lee's picture

Land and babies, it's no wonder those Nobles find what Garia does hard to believe. None she spoke with, cut down really, realize what coin can be made by investing in what's happening now. Think Apple.

It was unfortunate that man from Six Cities had to be dismissed, that he was unable to control himself until a better time. But is he any different than any others? Many reacted the same to Garia at first, and reacted as D'Janik did.

Education seems to be something which need started in Palarand, so that the young will start thinking in terms that's more than land and babies. And will start looking into, what if.

Others have feelings too.

Education

If no one else knows the value of education, Garia does. She has spoken to the king, but I don't think anyone has done anything formal yet....