The Heart of it All: A Wyld Universe story- Part 8

Printer-friendly version

In the former state of Ohio many factions fight to claim the land as their own. For one rebellious Wyld, she too battles internally in order to maintain some semblance of her previous life while struggling to adapt to what she had become. Can a negotiator from the Northwest do the impossible and peacefully resolve the conflicts on the battlefield and within this young Wyld's heart?

The Heart of it All
A Wyld Universe Story
Part 7
by AoifeM

The sun barely rose and the bazaars of Detroit were already out in full force. Many luxuries, particularly spices, incense, and cashmere, could only be found here. Many of the Middle Eastern Wyld who fled their homes settled in this area; many of them bring their powers over to help manipulate the soils in this area, allowing the growth of many plant goods that normally would be indigenous to the region. Such things, plus their advancements in ethanol technology, made the Lake States a hotspot for economic growth and prosperity.

That was, of course, if their neighbors weren’t blockading their borders. Mormonia was way too immersed in their religious philosophy. Anything that wasn’t approved by their religious leaders could not pass. Texas and Alberta both remain major players in the fossil fuel market. Anything that would negatively affect their sales would be disastrous, as their cultures refuse to adapt. The Canadian Federation is a wild card- they were a group of city states that still hang on to the Canadian name, but all are governed in an entirely different manner, only sharing currency and military, which prevented Wyld enlistment.

And that left the Confederacy. If we took Toledo, that would leave Lake Erie in the clear. If they can get free passage the Lake States can reach their closest trading partner, the remaining United States, which has since claimed the city of Cleveland as its own.

It was my task to convince Doge Giovanni to form an alliance with us, and take Toledo from the Confederate’s hands. That should be the easy part. The difficult part, however, was trying to convince him to allow Toledo to maintain autonomy after its capture, becoming the first piece of land acquired by Scott in the contested region. If I had time to prepare, I may have had a better chance at successfully negotiating an agreement. However I have never met the Doge. I didn't know his personality, and it makes things difficult when there are so many things unknown at this point. It only takes one misstep to ruin everything.

Of course, my biggest worry at the moment is to get to the meeting alive. Our chauffer, Miss Silverwisp, wasn’t making my prospects any better.

Driving more erratically than a drunk driver, she put as much force on the gas as anyone I know. The stacked books strapped on the pedal probably didn't help things. She took out a few fire hydrants and running over potholes as we blazed through the heart of downtown. Many pedestrians were lucky to dodge us as we came roaring down the road.

Honking the horn wildly, she yelled to the outside world, “MILITARY BUSINESS COMIN” THROUGH! GET OUTTA THE WAY!” Honestly, maybe she should stick to flying…

Behind me in the back seat was my capable partner, Trish. She was fast asleep on those plush like seats. Under normal circumstances they would be rather comfortable, but not when every turn led to another flash of life appearing before my eyes. If any enemy was out there scouting Trish’s weakness, they have it now: soft furniture.

Over the horizon was our destination and my proverbial light at the end of the tunnel- The polis of Detroit. With the slam of the breaks Trish was jerked awake, and I was counting my blessings I made it through this alive.

Jumping out of the car, Silverwisp gave me a confident smile, “Go get ‘em, big guy! Do you need me to stick around after your through?”

Shaken to the core with that thought, I shook my head and profusely insisted, “No, no! Don’t worry about us! You should get back to base and prepare just in case we get the go ahead!”

“Optimistic are you?” she inferred. “That’s what I like about you! Always thinking ahead! I guess I’ll see you on the battlefield!”

With that she drove away; the clouds of exhausts trailing her from behind. Now that that was out of the way, I began to take focus on the task ahead.

Sensing a little bit of stage fright, Trish did her best to calm my nerves. “Don’t worry. Just do what I know you’re capable of. You’ll be fine.”

Taking a deep breath, we slowly climbed up the stairs leading into the polis entrance. We were stopped by a cohort of security guards. These were no ordinary guards; they were the Missa Solemnis- the Solemn Mass. They say nothing, they show nothing; their face is stone, as if they were nothing more than machines. The mere presence of their countenance was enough for most people to think twice about messing with them, and those who do, well, apparently they’re never heard from again.

Checking us for any hidden weapons gave us both a rather uncomfortable feeling. After they frisked us they allowed us entrance. We entered through the antique wooden doors and made our way down the immense hallway; two Solemni followed at distance, only adding to my already unnerving disposition.

Through another set of doors we reached the forum, where the Doge was waiting. He didn’t hesitate to start speaking.

“Don’t you find it wonderful?” He began. “I’ve always had an interest of old, ancient cultures and traditions. Rome, Venice, Athens, Arabia- Just look how it made even the most defiled cities into a magnificent culture hub!”

He only spoke a few words and yet I was already trying to get a good feel on who I was working with. He seems to be one of those people who carried a self-serving bias, I thought to myself. He’s already bragging about his accomplishments. I needed to take this to mind when I start negotiating with him.

“To me life is about worth,” he continued. “And to me, you are nothing more than dogs.”

And he’s an arrogant prick to boot. This will be a tough job.

He walked up to me, and as callously as he could he asked, “Tell me, what purpose is there for you to come to my grand nation? Is it to grovel? What purpose would there for me to ally with you? What could you say to me that you could not have said to my Merchant General? The very one you crushed under a pile of rubble!”

Of course it came back to that time in Columbus. I was there too, buddy. Looks like that was my first goal of business; to convince him we weren’t involved.

“Your eminence,” I began. “You must believe me when I say that we were set up. What purpose would we, a small rebellion whose lives depend solely on remaining hidden, come out the open, to you, knowing full well that our group would be destroyed if I were to be disposed of?”

“And who do you suppose would have done such a thing?” the Doge questioned. “It was not as we did not see with our own two eyes the filthy look and nature that one would normally associate with such a rebellion. Then again, I suppose your type would not have heard of such amenities as the television.”

Responding, along with giving a little inadvertent jab at the glamorously groomed ruler, I replied, “In war, the one who wins isn’t the one with the more pristine uniforms.”

Slightly taken aback by my comments, he shrugged it off and inferred, “So then, if it wasn’t you, then who was it?”

“Well, your Excellency,” I continued. “There were three members present at the time of the attack. One was members of your faction, the second from the United States, and the third from Cascadia. We were indeed invited to join as a member of these negotiations. However, it proved rather difficult for us to make it when we are in Confederate territory. It is not like we can just walk through the front gate, so to speak.”

Intrigued, he allowed me to continue. “Go on”

“Would it be so hard to believe if one were to say the Confederacy blocked us from arriving, disguised them to look like us “filth”, and destroy the government complex, pinning the blame ultimately on us?”

“Hmmm,” The doge pondered, seemingly unimpressed by my explanation. Still, if there’s one thing that someone like him cares more than vindication is the smell of money. If he can get something out of it, then maybe it’s enough to save my hide.

He finally spoke. “Suppose I were to believe your story. Suppose you’re not as foolish as I had first believed. What exactly do I get from such an alliance from you?”

“Well,” I began to respond, “The most obvious gain would be the removal of the Confederate presence on your front door. Detroit has a little more breathing room and the blockade would effectively be removed, allowing you safe passage through Lake Erie, allowing access to your potential customers.”

“And what can you do to ensure our victory?” the doge questioned. “My armies are heavily armed, and yet we have never broken through. You are but table scraps!”

“Never underestimate the power of asymmetrical warfare,” I told him. “We do the dirty work, setting off distractions, getting the Confederate soldiers to move away from the comfort of their home base. We can attack from the shadows. Our “drab” look makes us blend in. They will have a difficult time separating friend from foe. With all the problems within their own town, they will be unaware of your surprise attack.”

“I see,” he said, “Perhaps if you prove useful I will spare you from punishment. Another city in my ranks would be of benefit.”

“We would prefer to claim Toledo as part of the rebellion,” I stated.

“And who are you to make demands to me?” he scoffed, looking down on me like I was a leper.

“Think of it this way,” I told him, “We wish to be an Autonomous government, ran similarly like Windsor to your east. Free trade, free borders. Uninhibited access through Lake Erie. And another potential trading partner, which could further help expand your trade empire without a loss of life.”

“Hmph, whatever,” He finally accepted. “We’ll allow your stupid state to go through. I have heard enough. We will prepare the troops. Now leave me.” With a motion of his wrist he shooed us off. I would have to think even the most composed negotiator would attack him in a fit of rage. He's lucky I have a lot riding on this.

With that we turned and left through the very doors we came in through. Trish seemed absolutely surprised how smooth everything went.

“I can’t believe he was so easy to convince,” she whispered to me as we walked down the halls.

“Oh, I don’t expect him to keep the bargain,” I admitted to her. “He’s just making good use of us before he stabs us in the back. He's not one to accept compromise. He wants everything. I fully expect him to betray us, it’s inevitable.”

“Then why are we just turning away like this?” Trish questioned.

“Might as well get just as much use out of him,” I answered her bluntly. “Besides, I don’t think he is the one I need to convince.”

“You don’t?” She said, looking at me with wonderment.

“Don’t worry,” I told her as I sported a conniving grin. “I have a plan. And you can be sure that it will get results.”

up
93 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

:D

Extravagance's picture

Sounds like a roarin' good time! ;)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Well, not really

I don't have a Wyld that roars. =/

You don't need one.

Extravagance's picture

You got ME. :)

*Pulls out a huge two-handed sword and charges toward the enemy*

RRRRAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

:D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

"I have a plan."

he does? oh .... boy....

DogSig.png

Stanman with A Team

And what, is this Quantum Leap? Geez, all these 80s shows. What's next?

The Heart of it All: A Wyld Universe story- Part 8

The Plan? Wonder if he will quote John Hannibal Smith of the :A" Team and say "I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER."

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Unfortunately

Ian doesn't smoke cigars.