The White Wolf Chapter -6-

Printer-friendly version

Jesse has inherited his Grandfather’s ranch and now must fight his father to keep it while on a quest to find Coyote and his spirit animal.

In Western Native American lore Coyote was either the maker of the earth or the messenger to those who made the earth. It was Coyote who was tricked in making death a part of life. I apologize to any who may be offended by my use of Coyote. He is central to the story and used with much respect. Native Americans have much for which to be respected; their love and care of the earth and the sacrifices made for this great land.

I hope you enjoy my first attempt a story for Big Closet. Please, any comments that will help me become a better write are always welcome. And, if I have borrowed anything from someone unknowingly, please forgive me.

This Chapter has some violence in it. In nature predator animals kill and eat other animals. The old and infirm are eaten to make room for those to carry the species forward.

As always Thank you's to Hope for helping edit this chapter. Any further slips, drips, or errors are all mine. Barb


Chapter 6 The Hunt

{{With all the different smells around the lake, how am I to tell which belongs to the cows}} asked Jesse. {{It has rained since I last saw the cows. Wouldn't that have washed away the scent.}}

Two Bears responded, {{Can you tell the difference between a rose and a carnation if you were to smell them? Search the ground until you find the tracks of the animal you want to follow, and then it is easier to follow the scent. Once you have learned the scents of the animals, you won't have to look for their tracks. The scents are still there after the rain. Some scents may have mixed with the one you are wanting to follow, but if you concentrate you'll be able find the scent you want.}}

Jesse padded off in the direction to where she had seen the cattle come to the lake to drink. It was just a few minutes before she found the tracks for which she was looking. A few sniffs and she had the scent imbedded into her memory. She followed the tracks until they disappeared in the underbrush. Cattle follow the same trails over and over as it is easier than pushing through the brush. They are smart enough not to stay in the same place too long, but as long as they do not feel threatened and there is food to eat they won't wander far.

Jesse set off at an easy gate that would cover ground quickly, but that would not tire the others. They loped along for about two hours when the smell of the cattle became stronger. The wind was blowing into Jesse's face, and she could smell the cattle quite clearly. She slowly crept to the edge of the brush surrounding the small glade. Jesse walked back to the others. “I have found the cattle. There are the three; the two cows and a calf. The calf still suckles at its mother's teats. The calf would be the easiest to kill, and if I had pups to feed, I would go for the easy kill. I don't want to deprive the mother of its young and without the calf suckling, the cow would suffer and possibly die. I have never killed anything with my fangs. I am not sure how to do it.”

“Most wolf pups learn by play and from their parents. I would not expect you to know how to kill the old cow,” said Coyote. “I can sense that the old cow will never calve again. It is the way of nature to remove the old and infirm, so that those that can carry the species forward may live and have food. We will drive the old cow down this trail and Two Bears will do the killing.”

Coyote changed to the size of a normal coyote. Then Coyote and Jesse crawled through the underbrush to get upwind of the cows. The smell of the two predators made the cows nervous. They began to move toward the trail that Coyote and Jesse just left, eying the direction of the wind. Jesse had described the cows to Two Bears so he would know which animal to take. The older cow seemed to be pushing the mother and her calf to the trail. If the predators broke cover, it seemed as if she was willing to sacrifice herself for the others.

When the older cow reached the trail to the lake, Coyote and Jesse broke cover. The cows started running down the path aware that there may be other wolves to ambush them along the trail. There was no choice. The cows would run away from the predators they could see, and trust their luck to run past the ambush of the other wolves.

They caught the scent of Two Bears as they passed him. The frightened animals tried to run faster down the trail. The mother and calf were in front of the older cow by several yards. Two Bears charged out of his hiding place to give chase.

Despite their size bears are swift animals. In short distances, they can be amazingly fast. Two Bears caught the older cow in just a few yards. With his massive paw, he tripped the cow by swiping her back legs out from under her. As she struggled to get up. Two Bears plunged his large insizors into the neck of the animal severing her spine. The cow did not suffer long as the bear crushed her spine.

Coyote walked up to the cow and said, {{Thank you sister cow for giving your life that we may eat. Now go in peace and find a new home.}} With that the cow breathed its last and was dead.

Jesse walked up to Coyote and said, {{Please, You eat first as You are our honored guest. Then Two Bears will eat as he is my honored guest. I will eat last. I am unsure how to go about eating as a wolf except to try and tear the meat loose and swallow it whole.}}

Coyote laughed, {{When you are a canine that is about all there is to it. There is not much chewing that can be done on soft meat.}} They ate their fill, then Two Bears began to drag the rest of the cow back to their camp. Jesse would help until she tired. It took about four hours to drag the remains of the cow back to the camp. Two Bears and Jesse walked into lake to clean the blood off their fur. They walked back and shook the water from their fur. Two Bears walked into the lodge and returned in his human form.

{{Jesse you will remain in wolf form for a seven days,}} said Coyote. {{You may change into wolf form in times of dire need or when you seek higher spiritual learning in this place. The other times when you will need to change to your wolf form is when you feel the need to run with your pack. They'll offer you membership, but do not take a mate from the pack as the Great Spirit instructed you. Your mate is not on this mountain. The Great Spirit has another journey for Me. Therefore, I must leave. I'll be back from time to time to speak with you and to help as needed.

Coyote turned to Two Bears, {{My old friend, train our young student well. She has a great future in front of her and she has caught the eye of the Great Spirit. It was a pleasure to hunt with you again. Take care of yourself.}}

Two Bears responded, "My old friend there is always too much time between our visits. I'll be glad of the day when I can come live with you. I've my task before me, and I'll train Jesse well." With that Coyote walked into the forest and was gone.

up
249 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's an abomination

From the time that white man set foot in America, it has been tragic for Native Americans. I feel cultural guilt deeply. Yet, we now know that the Normans regularly attacked the Celts, The Ottomans attacked the West, the Gauls attacked the Romans, and the Mongols attacked the Chinese.

I'm not familiar enough with Native American culture to know much. However I did once own a Malamute that at times seemed almost wolf like. She'd often barely obey me, but once someone attacked me and I feared she would kill him. She weighted over 125 lbs.

This is a really absorbing story and reveals much about predators. I wonder what man will do when someone comes to predatorize us?

Nice story.

Gwendolyn

The strong eat the weak

I wouldn't feel guilty about it, it's nothing you could have changed. Anyway, it's the way of the world, the strong eat the weak and the native americans were weaker as a culture than the europeans.

Um... what will man do when someone comes to predatorize us? I'd say what we always do, kill them so long until they realize we are no prey.

So Jesse has some time to live as a wolf. I woner how much the situation at home will have progressed after that time.

Barbara, thank you for writing this captivating story, I can't wait for the next chapter,

Beyogi

You wonder?

Why? There are already seven billion predators of man on this planet.

So Jessie learns

to hunt, and shows proper honor to her visitors.

Now to the wolves. And her mate is not among the wolves? Let me think...

Maggie

not bad

for a first hunting lesson. dragging a cow for four hours can't have been fun. the next chapter with the wolves should be good.
looking forward to it.
thanks

It was good

Renee_Heart2's picture

Although a bit short. Was kind of expecting more but I look foward to chapter 7.

Jesse is a good she wolf & is learning fast The Coyote has begun the teaching process that Two Bears will contenue & the wolves as well she will run with them for a week & learn the ways of the wolf I tink her mate is to be the boy who has had his eye on her for such a long time since they were kids.

Her first kill went accoding to plan they took the old cow insted of the calf. Jesse has a good head on her sholders & the Coyote even gave thaks to the cow for sacraficing her self so that the three could eat. It shows the native american way even if you kill an animal that them for their sacrifice to that others may live & eat such is nature.

Look foward to the next installment of this chapter.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

In My Humble Opinion

In My Humble Opinion My NA ancestors were lucky that they had a limitation of technology which did not give any one group such a superior edge that allowed the whole sale slaughter that was evident elsewhere in the world. There is also a greater respect for life born from having several worlds destroyed around them by there own mucked up efforts. When the Europeans flooded into this continent with there superior tech and weapons of mass destruction .religion and hatred of the living world, the balance was destroyed and the Europeans became the top predictor of the human population here and elsewhere.
I honestly am of the opinion that the Inhuman homo sapiens are the predictor of the rest of us humans. If they win and we louse they will kill them selves off.
PS Still love the story and no I do not think they will win.
Misha Nova

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Excellent story Babs

Excellent story Babs,

(Hope you don't mind me calling you 'Babs' it's a British nick-name and term of affection for girls called Babara.)

I'm loving this story and I love the 'connections' that Jesse has, and is making with nature and mother Earth. Especially as a girl. Girls are much more in tune with their bodies; necessarily so, but there are advantages to this because it puts women on a higher level of communication amongst themselves and makes the sisterhood a far more empathetic society. That, I envy.

Sisterhood therefore puts women more in touch with nature and it's fertility both animal and vegetable, I suppose that's why we speak of MOTHER earth.

Lovely chapter Babs, I'm looking forward to the next chapter and the forthcoming issues with the greedy father.

XZXX

Bev.

PS I've replied to your PM.

bev_1.jpg

Killer Story!

I enjoy reading this, it's a little different and a cool story, I'm still concerned, though. Jessie has some legal issues regarding the ranch ahead of her. It's going to be very interesting when SHE shows up in court (unless the Great Spirit has altered reality a bit-which is not out of the realm of possibility). I'm sure that between the Great Spirit and Coyote, they'll take care of it.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next chapter!

Wren

The White Wolf Chapter -6-

Who will Jesse have as a mate?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Predation on Hominids

Gwen asks what we (will?) do when we are predated on; killed for food or to protect others of the killer's species.

From what I've read, hominids started out in Africa as prey for any large or pack predator. As they learned to make weapons, tools and grew larger, later hominids became successful predators and often could fight off other predators.

Premodern humyns and probably neanderthals and other later Homo species had a behavior that has only recently started to change. If there was predation on a hominid or their (domesticated) livestock, a hunting party or possibly a single hunter, like in a ceremony to be accepted as an adult, would hunt down the predator and kill it. Now with conservation efforts, governments might pay a farmer, rancher or village for their losses if that government or possibly an NGO wants to protect the species of the predator. However, even in the US, if a top predator, like a mountain lion or grizzly bear, kills a humyn, the predator is usually hunted and shot.

In the last few thousand years, native peoples in the Americas and Australia have learned to respect other animal life, only kill what they need and try to insure other species' survival. When socially more primitive humyns first migrated to Australia and the Americas there was a huge diversity of prey to hunt and predators to protect against. There was also a great deal of megafauna extinctions, many of which were thought to be possibly aided by humyn over hunting, like driving herds of mastodons and the like over cliffs, as well as climate change from the ending of the last ice age. It is thought that these peoples realized that over hunting could make animals "go away forever" and gradually developed less disruptive hunting/coexisting cultures.

Oh, yeah; I really enjoy your series; great writing on very interesting topics! Thanks very much!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Predator of Humans

There are millions of predators of humans. Most are microscopic. Then they range in size from as small as a flea to as big as a grizzly. Some actually hunt humans: fleas, ticks mosquitoes. Most are opportunity hunters: Bears, wolves, big cats. Except for Polar bears that actually seek human prey, most of the large predators won't come into human habitats. And even when humans enter their habitat, they try to avoid humans.

Thank you for your support and comments.

Hugs

Barb

Barb Allan

Predation on Humans

In line with my recent story "Battle Field to Cradle", the real message was that humans were the most violent of predators in the entire known Universe. It was really just hypothetical, to make people think.

However, just as likely, what happens when a predatory Alien race shows up and decides that roast humans are tasty? I think that day would be cause for much belated soul searching. :)

Gwendolyn