The Other side of the Forest - Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
The Other Side of the Forest

by:
Elsbeth


Morgan Rynders believed the worlds found in his books were much more interesting than the one he lived in. Unfortunately ancient powers couldn't care less dragging Morgan into a quite a different adventure whether he is interested or not.

illustrating-picture-of-fairies.jpg
Chapter 8
We played kissy face for a while, I never did it as a boy so I cannot compare, but I think I can come to like it as a girl. Snuggling on the couch, Abigail spoke about her school, her teachers, favorite classes and that she was looking forward to me attending school with her. The thought of it seemed a bit surreal.

My everyday life for the last few weeks consisted of the Fae Realm, members of the Unseelie Court trying to capture me and a dozen other oddities. Something as mundane as going to school, I really didn’t know what to think. At this point, I was more concerned that I was about to be going through a crash course at being a girl. I hoped that Abigail could be accommodating I mean she did girl very well.

“What are you worried about Morgan, you look like a girl, you walk like a girl you even talk like a girl.”

I considered what she said. I was still Morgan to be sure, I still liked to play computer games, I loved books, and I liked girls (well one girl in particular) When the enchantment wore off did I go back to my usual self but what was my usual self? I guess I was still Morgan just the packaging was different.

That didn’t seem entirely right either, there were other differences between boys and girls beyond the obvious biological. When we toss in the fact that I was no longer human into the mix, it becomes quite the complicated mess. I really should be freaking out about the whole thing. Thinking about it, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was another motherly enchantment helping me cope. If so I really didn’t mind. It showed that she cared. Guess the new Morgan will just be a work in progress.

“You know what Morgan?”

“What Abbs?”

She smiled at my nickname then giggled. “I think I am taller than you.”

That comment produced several serious rounds of ‘who was the tallest,’ as we stood back-to-back each standing on our tippy toes proving that they were indeed the tallest. It took no time at all for us to have a fit of the giggles. Yea it was stupid, but it was fun. I really needed it. A firm knock at the door interrupted our game.

“Oh, that must be the Police.”

“The Police?”

I had to smile. “Remember, I was missing for days. Rebecca filed a Missing Persons report. When I showed up this morning, she called the Police to tell them that I came home.”

“Morgan Rynders?” Deputy Sherriff Cindy Rose stood before me. I was surprised it wasn’t Deputy Summers. I had spent over fifteen years of my life never talking to a Police officer, and now I was almost on a first name basis. “May I come in?” I was surprised to find that she was a little nervous around me.

As I escorted Deputy Rose to the kitchen table, I offered her a drink. She accepted a glass of water then slowly pulled out a notebook. Abigail took a seat next to me. It didn’t seem to bother Deputy Rose. Staring at the notebook as if gathering her thoughts she suddenly came right to the point.

“On the fifteen of this month, your mother filled out a Missing Persons report. This morning she called our office to inform us that you had returned. She also explained that you were attacked.”

“It was more like they were trying to kidnap me.”

“Is she upstairs? I would like to speak to your mother as well.”

“I’m sorry she decided to go to work today.”

The Deputy looked a bit shocked. I wasn’t particularly happy with it either.

“So please, as best you can remember tell me about the incident.”

The police weren’t really capable of handling the Fae that tried to kidnap me, but I needed to warn them at least. I began to explain what happened mostly the running away part. I left out the exploding bodies and throwing a Scottish vampire across the street. It would complicate my life more than necessary. Continuing I described the attackers (mostly), the Black SUV and the story of how I woke up in the woods with a fuzzy memory.

Really, I did feel bad, but I would feel worse if the police came to harm. I understood deep down that these Fae were going to be my responsibility. I could tell my story threw up all sorts of red flags. Deputy Rose’s emotions went all over the place when I talked about the park. Writing down a few more things, she closed her notebook and carefully put it away.

“A black SUV, that is troubling. You are a very fortunate girl.”

I told the Deputy I couldn’t agree more if the three were trying to kill me instead of abducting me I could well have been dead.

“Miss Rynders.”

“Morgan.”

“Morgan, I have an odd request, and I was told that you are free to turn it down. I was asked if you could come with me to the hospital and visit Dan. I mean Deputy Sherriff Dan Summers.”

“Why is Deputy Summers in the hospital?”

“Apparently he was abducted by the same people who tried to kidnap you. We found him last night, and he is currently at Eastpoint Medical Center.”

“Oh Morgan., Dan is Diana’s cousin,” Abigail said. “My Aunt dropped me off here before she went to see how he was doing.”

Cindy turned to Abigail. “You must be Abigail Morris, I was asked to bring you along as well.”

I looked at the two of them. “I’m not really sure what I can do to help, but I’ll be happy to go.”

Calling Rebecca, I passed the phone directly to Deputy Rose, as Abbs pulled me upstairs. Of course, I had to change. According to my new girlfriend, I couldn’t possibly walk into a hospital wearing what I had on. Once again, but this time with Abbs help I pillaged my sister’s closet. We soon managed to find a red short sleeve Tee that met with her approval.

She did my hair, but I stopped her at the makeup. I could see that Abigail was just itching to give me a makeover. Sorry I wasn’t quite ready for that. I did tell her that Rebecca gave me a credit card so I could buy some clothes. Abbs gave me a scary, predatory look.

Once we made it back downstairs, the two of us were whisked out the door.

++++++

Eastpoint Medical Center sat on the other side of town past the Old Town Square and Courthouse. It was a new modern medical facility, and for some of the other towns in the area, it was the closest hospital. Finding a parking space right in front, police cars get great parking spots I quickly found myself in an elevator on the way to the third floor.

A friendly officer greeted us as we exited the elevator. We met a second officer at the entrance to another hallway. Emotions, heavy emotions from the entire hospital came at me. I stopped closing my eyes then concentrated and thankfully, the emotions receded to a more manageable level.

“Are you OK Miss Rynders?” Deputy Rose asked.

“Morgan.” I smiled then nodded. Abbs reached over to hold my hand looking a bit concerned. I gave it a squeeze, and we continued down the hallway. I noticed that once we passed the officer, all the rooms were empty. At the end of the corridor, I could hear talking, but that is not what drew my attention. There was a heaviness in the air coming from one of the rooms. I dropped Abigail’s hand and looked in to find Deputy Summers hooked up to a couple of machines. His skin was not a healthy color. I didn't need to understand the machines to tell me that he was dying.

A dark miasma surrounded the Deputy thick like molasses. My new found senses recognized it as a curse that and if came to its conclusion would turn him into one of the Sluagh or the Unforgiven Dead.

“Cindy, who are these girls?” A worried looking woman sat on a chair near the Deputy. She looked to be very pregnant. I could tell she had been crying, a lot. Sitting next to her holding her hand was Diana.

“Morgan, is that you?” She rose from the chair and pulled me into the room. “I…well thank you for coming.”

“Diana, what is this little girl going to do. How is she going to help Dan? I don’t understand.” The pregnant woman’s emotions were all over the place. Diana quickly left my side and took her hand.

I could feel a presence come up behind me. I thought it rather odd that it actually felt like a bear. A deep voice said in a whisper. “No, she isn’t just a little girl.”

I turned to find a mass of a man standing in the doorway. I was half expecting a mountain man, but he was dressed in a very expensive looking grey suite. “You must be Morgan Rynders.” He reached over and took my hand it disappeared in his grip.

"My name is Greg Kincade, my family and I would take it as a personal favor Miss Rynders if you can help my friend.”

Aunt Eshne presence came in before she did. “Morgan, I am sorry we haven’t been properly introduced. I am Eshne Teague. “She turned to Abigail. “I am glad you have made up with your friend.”

Abigail smiled at me.

“Is there something I can help you with?” Aunt Eshne asked. She looked visibly disappointed when I said no. She seemed less pleased when I began to kick everyone out of the room. Maybe it was petty, I could have let her remain, but I could tell she would insist on taking charge. Sorry, the room only had enough space for one Princess at a time. What was amusing was the satisfied look on Mr. Kincade’s face.

“I would like everyone to leave please, except for Diana and Deputy Summer’s wife.”

I gave Abbs a wink then closed the door. Instinctively I knew what needed to be done. The curse was the vilest bit of magic and filled me with no small amount of anger.

“You love your husband don’t you Mrs. Summer.”

“Of course.” I could tell she was regaining some of her composure. She had a strong will.

“Good, take his hand. I need you to call out to him. Dan is lost and is unable to get home. I need you to be his anchor. Call out to him, plead with him, get angry with him whatever works. Above all, tell him how much you love him. Anchor him into this world.”

I turned to Diana. “I need you to support Mrs. Summers. I could tell you’re fond of him as well. ” Diana nodded she knew what to do.

“It’s Liz.” Mrs. Summers said. “I don’t understand all of this. He doesn’t explain half of the things he does at work, but I know that it’s more than simple parking tickets.”

“Alright Liz, please call me Morgan.” I took Dan’s other hand. “Whenever you’re ready.”

While strengthening Dan’s spirit, I could feel that he possesses a touch of the power. I imagine that is what drew the Unseelie Court to him in the first place. Luckily, that power also kept him from falling victim to the curse immediately.

Like a wild beast, the curse reared up and struck out at Diana and Liz, but I stepped in the way. Slashing at it with power the curse began to break up into smaller parts disbursed enough that Dan’s own power now strengthened easily took care of it. Liz call of love to her husband increased that power. When they connected, the curse didn’t have a chance. I slowly removed myself, obliterating any remains of the curse as I exited.

Deputy Summers began to struggle, his eyes opened wide. “Dan baby, calm down you can’t talk with those tubes in your mouth.” I could tell Liz was about to dance about the room in joy. Diana quickly reached for the nurse’s button, and in seconds, two nurses were in the room. I took a step back, trying to blend into the walls. The nurses passed me as if I was not there.

Moving about the room professionally they took down the many numbers off the machines. Dan began to fidget looking impatient. The Deputy didn’t appear to be an ideal patient. Liz and Diana hadn’t stopped smiling. Older women entered the room obviously his physician. She looked over the charts as the nurses began to unhook Dan from the machines. The group spoke for a few minutes surprised at Dan’s recovery, planned a few more tests then left the room.

“Dan baby you hair turned white. You kind of look like a young Steve Martin.” Lifting the curse had that interesting side effect. The doctor just wrote it down but didn’t seem overly concerned.

Dan reached up, trying not to get his IV tangled. “And me without my Mummy.”

Diana groaned.

I giggled coming back into focus. “Are they always like that?”

“Miss Rynders I can’t say I am surprised to find you in this room.” I could tell the Deputy was a bit confused, as he didn’t see me come in through the door. “I’m all a little fuzzy, but I do remember that there was a Missing person report filled out on you.”

“I got found.”

He laughed though I could tell it hurt. “We’ll have to talk when I get out of here.”

“Sure, look forward to it. If you need anything from me, don’t hesitate to ask.”

Deputy Summers gave Diana a satisfied grin. Diana rolled her eyes. Liz came up to me and hugged me close. “I don’t know what you did, but I can’t thank you enough. I don’t know what I would have done without him.”

I walked out the door and right into a large bear hug. A woman laughed. “Greg, let the poor child go she cannot breathe.”

Mr. Kincade seemed a little embarrassed, let me go and quickly introduced me to his wife Stephanie who came to my rescue. Abigail reached over and held my hand. “You look zonked Morgan.”

“I am guessing you haven’t eaten lunch either.” Mrs. Kincade said. “Come on let's feed you it’s the lest we can do. Abigail, you want to join us for lunch how about you Eshne?”

Aunt Eshne declined stating she had to get back to the store but invited me over on Saturday, which I accepted.

Mrs. Kincade who insisted I call her Stephanie was very friendly. I talked a little about my family, but there really wasn’t much to tell. Stephanie had quite the extended family including two sons in the same High School I will be attending. Malcolm, a senior, was on the wrestling team and Stephen who was only a few months older than me was on the football team. In fact, the family had their annual cookout in a few weeks, and it would be great if I could attend.

As Stephanie continued to discuss the virtues of the men in her family, Abbs kept kicking me under the table.

Boys really, like I needed another complication.

up
299 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Morgan has good taste

I think she will give those boys a pass ;)

Anyway, I wonder what kind of power level was needed to break that curse. Apparently her use of magic is instinctive since they are creatures of magic if I understand correctly.

She seems to be making alliances and it is a great thing if she is going to act as if I am not mistaken a kind of an ambassador between the Faes and the other unseen.

She is building a strong foundation of trust by her actions and she is of sufficient rank and powe apparently to keep lesser and dark Fae in-line.

Kim

But Starkist . . .

Wants them to taste good! :-)

I wondered at her ease in using her abilities and thought maybe Mother had added that to the other "training" she is being given. I wonder if Rebecca can be "taught" a little human warmth in the same way? It would seem she does have the capability for it if we go by her initial reaction to Morgan's return.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Getting Better

Enemyoffun's picture

This story just keeps getting better and better with each chapter :)

Outstanding!

I appologize for not commenting often - I usually copy the stories I'm interested in to notepad and read them at work during lunch. This has been a first rate story from the beginning and I am eagerly waiting for the next chapter. (I have, however, had to do a lot of googling over the fae terms)

Again, Outstanding!
Larimus

So they tried to turn the

So they tried to turn the deputy into some kind of undead?
Interesting story, I'm glad that Morgan and Abigail have fun, but will it really be that easy for Morgan? Or will she have some problems adapting to the female gender?

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

Friends

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I'm glad that Morgan was able to save the Deputy and it was interesting to see her start to adjust to consciously using her talents (the hiding one could be very useful). She's clearly made some useful friends this chapter which I have a feeling will be very useful with what is to come.

Thank you for another enjoyable chapter in this story.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Somebody is matchmaking for her sons

For now I see the girls as a couple but that is not to say Morgan will not be attracted to boys too.

Hey her real momma will want grandchildren someday.

Wonder why she was *orphaned* and adopted by Rebecca? Part of a prophesy?

And what will her relationship now be with her older but less than nice sister? Better, worse?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Well maybe

That depends on whether a Fae/Were hybrid makes sense. She may very well need a fae to continue the royal line. Obviously that can't happen between two women unless their is some unknown magic that allows fusion of two eggs or Abby can be temporarily transmogrified to a boy to create sperm and then change back. You know, artificial insemination, what a wonderful modern age we live in ;). Don't see why that is impossible. In any case the union would be at best a half-elf unless Abby gets temporarily changed to a full elf.

As to how she came to be here, well the story already kinda heavily hints that she is the Arbitrator. The Arbitrator would serve as a bridge of understanding between Fae and Human affairs and as such needs to understand what it means to be human, thus the transformation. As to why she had to be transformed into a male human. The Arbitrator is also mentioned to be a member of the royal line and the Princess has gone missing. So .....

On a different question, a thought that did occur to me is if she is in deep cover, totally immersed to being a human boy, why is she detectable as being a Fae as Diana had to formally invite her into her bookshop. Clearly Diana's wards warned her that Morgan is Fae. I am curious also whether she was totally prevented from entering as apparently she was managing to step through the threshold but merely pushing through the resistance of the wards.

Kim