FTL-10...Faster Than Life.

Printer-friendly version

FTL-10...Faster Than Life.

Chapter 10

*Two months later…

I’m in line up at the mess listening to people talking about stuff and sort of daydreaming in my own right as we’re heading into the Soleil system. We’re getting shore leave being here at the halfway point in out milk-run tour and we’re resupplying and we’re going to be doing a few things here.

I’m thinking about the beaches. I’m only ever been to a beach in RL twice and both were poor freshwater beaches. Soleil is a moon actually that’s mostly salt waters but with this full planet reef structure that makes the waters very warm but it’s such a total breakwater thing the waves are usually gentle so I’m told.

Actually told a lot.

Patrick’s really excited to get leave here.

Me, god it’s nearly been a year since I’ve joined and became my honest and real self. Just a year and I’ve been in combat, lost close to a dozen year mates and just about became a completely different person than the lost soul Aaron that had signed up and was remade.

I step up to the chow line and smile politely as several of the new bloods we’ve been picking up and some of the still new ones that’ve been here longer sort of whisper tell them to move and why.

There’s the flash of eyes over my pins and my sword. I’m so not used to getting the respect like that. I still sort of feel like I don’t really deserve it.

But I head over to Patrick’s table my tray laden down with some food to get my body acclimated to the stuff I might be eating. Rich with coconut in it and nuts, fried fish with sun sauce…my eyes tear up as I’m chewing the first bite and Patrick’s laughing at me.

“What…wa…what was that…!?” I reach for my water and he moves it away.

“Hot pepper, eat some rice and drink this.” He holds this pale yellow drink in his hand. I eye it warily the sauce on the fish was yellow.

“What’s this?”

“Mango and yogurt shake, the fat in the yogurt will block the heat off. Water just spreads the heat around more.”

“Okay…” It’s surprising good I could get used to this. He looks at me smiles and gets up. “Where you going?”

“You liked mine so much I’m getting another.”

“But you can have it back, we kiss so it’s not like it’s contaminated.”

“No but you like it and need it with your food.”

“But…but…”

“Erin…you have a nice butt. Does it taste better because it’s mine?”

I blush, look at my plate chew a bit on my lower lip. “Kinda…”

“And is it just a little cool that I’m giving you mine and getting another?”

“A little…” I can’t help but smile a bit. This is a girl thing and I don’t do these things like this like some people do but that boy girl song and dance thing is pretty neat and Patrick and I just sort of play with these moments…I never had them growing up and it feels good to have them now.

I can’t help but to smile at him as I watch him go get another drink. It takes a few more buts before I get the hang of eating this by cutting a forkful of the fish then piling some of the rice on it kills a lot of the burn but I still get the heat. I’m finding that I’m liking the flavors.

I have to get used to the different foods out there after a life with a whole lot of mass produce, super processed soys and vat foods…you have to literally train your body to real foods. I’m lucky because my remake has made that a lot easier but like everything else I’ve been really sheltered food wise.

Patrick comes back and we have a nice breakfast together before heading off for our duty shifts. I hear some of the others still complaining about the Balkorvan’s and why we haven’t gone into their systems and taken them down.

I’m frowning and walking the look at Patrick. “Why aren’t we?”

“Why are we what?”

“Going after the Balkorvan’s.”

“Politics and strategy.”

“I’m not sure that I’m getting that.” I say honestly. He stops looking out the window.

“As a people the Balkorvans are pirates by trade and tradition but they are also the biggest black market source around for several of our governments. They let us do things that are legal but need doing because as much as we love our laws and freedoms it’s a very hard universe out there and sometimes we need these places.”

“Okay, I get that but they attacked us and we can’t go after them?”

“One clan attacked us, it’s why they’re a pirate federation because of things like this. So when someone get’s stupid or greedy it comes down on his head and not all of them.”

“But they all know he did it, or they did it so they get away Scott free? Is that the term?”

“They’re not getting away, they’re looking the other way as we send it a team of night ops emissaries to sort out this unfortunate instance of friendly fire.”

He’s doing the air quotes thing and it takes me a minute to get it but I do get it. Like it no…it just seems kinda dirty. I know that the world has these things going on in them but when you’re in the event that’s being black op swept up it just rubs you like a cheap bra.

“Hey…Erin, you going to be okay?”

Patrick’s looking at me and I smile. “Yeah just adjusting a bit more to life is all. I’ll see you after shift?”

“Definitely unless you’re busy, I hear there’s going to be quite a few incoming cadet ships and stuff so you might have a full sky today.”

“That I’m actually looking forward to.”

We share a long kiss and part ways and my day runs into this long but really interesting day as my sky indeed gets full.

Soleil is a high traffic zone and there’s tourism, immigration, merchant coasters, and people like us and others. There’s a tense moment when the ID scan numbers come up for two Balkorvan ships but at the same time there’s nine Colonial Union military ships in system.. The system has five space stations or platforms running from mining rigs to gas giant skimmers and a few smaller refueling stations and such add that in with the local ships and civilian contractors and my sky is very full.

Oh and by Navigation Standards…every Colonial Union ship calls it their sky on the astrogation bridge. You get less mistakes on things heading in your ships space if you just take that approach. You don’t rely on fudged numbers and second, third or more handed information.

I’m busy on scan and tracking then sending my stuff to query station who identifies the ships and then to plotting who confirms the flight plans of the ships, skiffs or shuttles. The com officers are busy talking to the ships and the commander is passing it to the bridge com officers who adjust our headings.

We’ve all done this before on other stops but this is a lot busier. Some of those new recruit’s the slightly older ones are here as runners. Me I’m sort of running as the deck commander has me doing my job, showing the rookies how to cover for me and then I’m covering the more experienced stations. It feels like his every fifth word is “Stone!”

“Yessir!”

“I’m going to the head, them break. You’re in charge, don’t have us jam the traffic up.”

And with that I’m in command over people that outrank me normally. I’m nervous scared and wired when my On-body computer pops into full life with command features…oh it’s just so much information it…there are things going on the ship that I really barely figured effected the ship and the percentages but they do. There’s so much tracking of flights and flight control from the hangars as there’s shuttles of our own coming and going and our fighters out on a patrol escort. Every Erg of thrust and thrust wake and weights and masses and gravity from planet masses, stations and the bigger ships it’s all flickering through my brain so much more alive, ever changing and vital than net surfing.

I barely have time to breathe, that’s why he’s always issuing orders. Important things are always changing.

It was job wise without being in combat thrilling…it was like conducting an orchestra but it’s not an orchestra but a very large starship with thousands of people on it.

It only lasted thirty minutes but it was…

When I signed on for Navigation and Coms I had no idea that this would be so amazing.
I love this.

My shift ends and I’m leaving when the Deck commander comes over. “Good Job Stone, go download and report to command shuttle bay 1”

“Sir?” I’m going but my duty shift is over.

“Request from the ships commander, there’s a shuttle going out for a VIP pick up and he put in the order for you to fly scan on the flight.”

“Yessir, I’m on my way sir.”

“No you’ve got an hour before flight, this is VIP go get a bite, then shower and then your bridge dress uniform. Don’t make this deck look bad got it?”

“Yessir!” I salute him and head off to download my command experiences. It’s a bit of a downer getting command function turned off before I had va chance to really look at it but still it was really cool.

And scary, how do the upper ranks stay so people oriented when they have this going on?

I head out to “The” command shuttle the sleeked out looking with the flag based paint job and the very expensive interior, there’s staffers here in uniform to fit every need including some of our Companions and several of our heavy combat troopers too including two in the super heavy duty exo-suit armors. Stillwater’s there and she’s in full uniform and she nods to me.

“Stone, take your station.”

I sit and go through pre-flight and do the talk-chatter through command and get coded again for command functions right to my O.B.C. for the shuttle…oh…command class first rated Shuttles are really just small starships really.

I go through the motions with the piloting crew and the fact that Stillwater is our gunner and that we have a gunner doesn’t escape me either.

We go out on low burn until we get clear then the plasma coils ignite the metallic hydrogen and we’re off.

Heading just out of the star system to rendezvous with…

I think the co-pilot said it for all of us.

“What the hell is that?”

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Do they

Extravagance's picture

have prawns in that canteen? = )

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Not fresh in the ships mess hall but

Erin will get to explore all kinds of stuff on her leave.
*Huggles.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Who knows?

They may even go someplace where cat is considered a delicacy!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yum Prawns!

I always consider Cat a delicacy...especially when served "fresh."

I think Extravagance should have known better to comment first.

~Val

Other cultures other meals ^^

Lol my thoughts :D

Cat is also eaten in some places... although I doubt they would eat catgirls - that would be canibalism.

Oh?

Extravagance's picture

Karen J and ValEK, if you two want to visit a planet where they eat pussy, you don't need a spaceship. You just need a web browser, which you should already have if you're reading this.

http://www.planetsappho.com/

basil_brush.jpg

NOW tell me who posted too soon? ;D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Alf's Diner on Malmek serves up cats:)

Just don't go asking for in on Namek, you'll likelt P.O. Piccalo.
*Hugs and Huggles all around.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

that was mean

how long do we have to wait for the next chapter.
this was good, i liked the interactions on watch very realistic projection forward of watch of a ship.
thanks

In my head there's a lot of stuff on a starship that's

akin to being both on a surface battleship and a submarine. Vatta's war by Elizabeth Moon has a great feel for space going and so does E.E. Nalley's Caregiver universe too. I'll try to get another chapter out sooner:)
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

You know those? !!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Oh you know those! *big smile*
Have you read the "Honor Harrington" books?
The first one("On Basilisk Station") is free as an ebook on the Baen Free Library.

"Honor Harrington" is my favorite SciFi heroine. It is the basically the same sort of SciFi as FTL, That is military space navy setting following the career and personal life of the heroine.

*wonders if Erin might also take up old style projectile weapons(gun powder powered pistol that shoot bullets, what we have now RL) like Honor did*
(tho what Erin did have as a sidearm seemed to still be some sort of projectile thrower)

I had bits of Honor Harrington in mind with this:)

But of course while inspired want Erin to have her own voice. I loved the Honor Harrington books and it's a shame that girls are still discouraged from being smart and liking SF mostly by peer pressure.

Ballistic weapons are still widely used in Erin's timeline because actual energy weapons aren't cost effective for personal weaponry. Mind you in Space on ship Fleshettes or frangile rounds are the most used.

*Big Hugs For Pixie Dust.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Author of the Honorverse

Is one of my favorite SF authors out there. I am presently reading his Safehold series which could really be concidered to have a FtM transgender main character.

Nice ego boost!

A nice kick in the ego to have the FNGs doing the "Ohhhh" and "Ahhhh" over being allowed to occupy the same space as you. Me thinks command has further plans for Erin, the only limit on how far she can go may be herself.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Erin has a good reputation with the action she's seen and

the things she's come up with plus generally being a decent cadet officer. There might be some grooming going on. She'd definitely be in consideration. I kind of like being able to write this every once in awhile and get some military sort of stuff down and some SF too.

Thanks Karen J.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Should we cue the

ominous music? As always I'm ready for more. :) Wonderful!
hugs
Grover

Thanks Grover!

I'm not going to cue the ominous music yet, but apparently this is my cliffhanger story. I'm glad that you liked it.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I spy with my little eye.

Ms Bailey You did it again HaHaHaHa

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Thank You Misha:)

I'm really glad that you enjoyed it:) Feel better Honey:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Interesting story... I wonder

Interesting story... I wonder what is going to happen next.

thank you for writing,
*hugs*
Beyogi

Thanks Beyogi:)

No Spoilers but I'm really glad that you enjoyed it:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Nice cliffhanger!

Very good episode. Kinda like Erin's board, there's a lot going on here. I can't wait to learn who (or what) it is they are meeting!

Wren

Yeah the meeting will be interesting:)

I Love Erin and writing the odd bit of real SF which is really a stretch for me.
*Hugz Wren!*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

nice chapter, hon

got personal interaction and seeing her do her job too. Both seem to be going well to the point I thought this chapter might be the last one, but I guess the last line means more adventures ahead.

DogSig.png

There's a few more bits yet before this is done:)

But you are right and I'll be putting this to bed shortly. I'm still so glad that you enjoyed this though.

*More Big Hugs*
Bailey... A Proud Supporter of Team Dorothy.

Bailey Summers

Eventually but I'd like to clear the decks as it were.

When this is done it'll likely be the first book or whatever and I'll do that with a few others so I can focus on other stuff and devote more time to them:)

I'm glad that you enjoy this and care enough for it to go on though.
It Means a heck of a lot Kim:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

SF

Hi Bailey,

I don't normally go for the SF stuff even though I really loved Asimov in the 60s and Heinlein in the 70s.

This tale is really good!!

Guess I'm going to have to take another look when I see that tag.

Great story, as always.

Kindest regards

Kate

Kate

I still love those old ones.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I still love those old SciFi stuff even if some of the then futuristic science has become a bit dated.
I just finished rereading "The Rolling Stones" by Heinlein, it's sort of a 'kids book', err.. I mean 'Young Adult Novel', but still one of my favorites. Thos of you who know it will understand when I say, "I learned to read upside down because of that book".

The old SF had some of the best Ideas.

I'd love to see some of the oldest made into a good in depth TV series. Glad to see I wasn't the only one reading upside down. It was really cool doing it with just my reading light listening to "Major Tom." Or "Alan Parson's Project."
*Big Hugs For Pixie Dust.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Re: I still love those old ones.

*giggles at the "I learned to read upside down" comment*

I used to freak people out many many years ago in school when I would do that. Being able to read upside down is a handy trick to have, especially when I want to find out info that a doctor, for instance, doesn't bother to tell me even though I'm the patient and I should know.

SF is still in short supply still here Kate:)

But if you want astounding SF in my opinion try "The Caregivers." Universe stuff by E.E. Nalley and especially "Corazon." By Maggie Finson.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Her work hasn't gone unnoticed

Jamie Lee's picture

Erin is still in learning mode, but has demonstrated she has more to offer than what's seen on the surface.

When she was put in command of scanning, it was another test to see how well she handled the responsibility. And the command functions sent to her O.B.C., with all the added abilities.

VIP trips only involve only those who command trust. Erin has earned their trust, and proven she can do the job.

Others have feelings too.