The White Wolf Chapter -3-

Printer-friendly version

Jesse has inherited his Grandfather’s ranch and now must fight his father to keep it while on a quest to find Coyote and his spirit animal.

I have corrected the problem with the conversation with the wolves. Please accept my apologies. Thank you Abigail for your help.

In Western Native American lore Coyote was either the maker of the earth or the messenger to those who made the earth. It was Coyote who was tricked in making death a part of life. I apologize to any who may be offended by my use of Coyote. He is central to the story and used with much respect. Native Americans have much for which to be respected; their love and care of the earth and the sacrifices made for this great land.
I hope you enjoy my first attempt a story for BigCloset. Please, any comments that will help me become a better write are always welcome. If I have borrowed anything from someone unknowingly, please forgive me. This is a work of fiction and should be taken as such.

My thanks go to Hope of Hopeeternalreigns for he quick turn around on the edit, and her invaluable advice. Barb


Chapter 3 The Back Country,

Jesse was up early and soon had Big Spot saddled. Then he began to pack things he thought he would need in the saddle bags. The tent and bedroll were strapped to the back of the saddle. His fishing pole was wrapped inside his bedroll to protect it. Next he loaded his lever action carbine and placed it in the scabbard. He pulled his Grandfather’s gun belt off the wall and checked the pistols. The pistols were 45 caliber revolvers. He went to the gun cabinet and pulled two Browning 1911 45 automatics and replaced the revolvers. This would give him more shots before he needed to reload. The automatics were his Grandfather’s during the Vietnam War. He hung his compound bow and quiver over the end of his rifle. Arrows can be retrieved and they were quiet. Jesse packed a heavy winter coat in case the weather turned cold in the mountains where he was going. It was still early spring and it had been known to snow at the higher elevations.

He had packed an old, Boy Scout mess kit for cooking equipment, but would rely on a campfire for warmth and cooking. Extra clothing and he was ready to leave. Jesse thought about the equipment he was carrying and remembered the old western movies he used to watch with his Grandfather. They always seemed to have a coffee pot, but where would one put a coffee pot in a saddle bag? He laughed at how much he was bringing and thought he may have had to bring a pack animal. In the old cowboy movies, they had everything they needed in their saddle bags: changes of clothes; rain gear, clothes for Sunday; extra bullets; plenty of food for days; and even bottles of liquor. He just laughed at Hollywood.

Just before Jesse left, George pulled in to see him off. “Do you have everything?” George asked. Jesse did a mental check list. Then he realized he forgot the phone and solar battery charger. “I forgot the phone and solar battery charger.”

George said, “I'll get them.” He went in to the house and returned with phone and charger. “You be careful out there. Call me if you need anything.”

“I will,” replied Jesse. As Jesse mounted the horse and turned to leave, the wolf howled. The horse’s ears started twitching trying to find the direction of the sound. Jesse quickly soothed the animal. “I won’t let any harm come to you, Big Spot. We're going out to meet that wolf. I believe it to be a friend.” The horse settled down as if it understood what Jesse was saying. Jesse looked back at George, “I’ll stay in touch.” He tapped the sides of horse with his heels and clicked his tongue. Jesse was on his way to seek Coyote and meet the wolf that had been inviting him to run with it.

Jesse rode through the fields for about an hour when he stopped to rest his horse. He tightened the cinch and checked to see if anything had come loose. He was riding easy watching the new born calves playing in the fields, so he had not gone far. He felt like it was an idyllic day to begin an adventure. About mid-morning, he had reached the gate that separated the main ranch and the back country. Though there are many cows on the main ranch, there were just as many in the back country. Once a year, just before winter hit, the ranch hands would work the back country rounding up as many head of cattle as they could find. The cattle that were not found would find it hard to survive through the winter. Food and water become scarce as snow covers the grasses and the small lakes begin to freeze over. Then there are predators such as the wolves. There were other predators, Grizzly and puma, but the wolves were the main predators. Jesse’s Grandfather did not begrudge them taking what they needed to survive the winter and the cattle that were not brought in from the back country may not survive the winter anyway.

As Jesse rode away from the ranch, he had a feeling that he was being watched. The feeling would manifest, and then leave only to come back an hour or two later, as if someone was checking his progress. Sometimes he felt that there was more than one person or being watching him or someone different, but it was always with a purpose. He would look around, but he could see no one. The presence was hiding in the pines, hardwoods and rocks. Big Spot was also feeling the presence of the watcher. The horse was picking up on Jesse’s nervousness. He tried to soothe the horse, but it had little effect. He stopped for lunch at midday at one of the many streams that came down out of the mountains. The cold water felt good when he washed his face in the stream. He would rest here an hour and then proceed on into the back country. The presence was gone which suited Big Spot just fine. He grazed and drank from the creek while Jesse checked his maps.

The ride to the lake would take two days. There was a good campsite about midway. Jesse wanted to reach this site so he could get a fire going before it became dark. Tonight he would sleep under the stars without his tent. That way he could get going with minimal delay in the morning. After lunch, the presence returned. It was closer than before, but just as hard to see. Jesse kept a close watch through the afternoon. He finally reached the midway campsite. He hobbled Big Spot in case he became spooked during the night. Jesse would have tied the horse, but with the unease he and the horse had been feeling, he thought the horse would pull loose if he just tied him with reins or a loop around his neck.

Jesse collected enough firewood to last until morning. Soon he had a good fire going. The fire seemed to settle Big Spot. Jesse cooked his supper and boiled some water for tomorrow’s ride. The spring water may be good enough to drink, However, Jesse didn’t want to take any chances with unseen “bugs” if he was going to be up in the mountains for two weeks or longer. He cleaned his cooking utensils and burned the scraps. He did not want any smells to attract unwanted guests. He fed Big Spot some of the oats he had brought. Jesse rolled out his bedroll. Then he added more wood to the fire. He would sleep an hour or two and then rebuild the fire.

As he lay down he heard the wolf howl. It was eerily close. The message was different this time. It sounded like a welcome. Jesse could not still the shiver he felt from the howl. Jesse sat up for another thirty minutes, but there was not another howl. He added more wood to the fire and lay back down.

Jesse slept for about two hours. The fire had died down. He was about to reach for some wood to rebuild the fire when he heard a voice in his mind. {{Please don’t rebuild the terrible heat just yet.}} Jesse looked around. Across the fire from him was a large male wolf. Jesse started to reach for his pistol. {{You won’t need the loud weapon. I have been tasked to protect you.}}

“Who are you and why can I understand you?”

{{That will be answered later, after you have sought Coyote. There has been a puma about. The pack decided it would be better for me to watch over you. You have already crossed his path. He has been following you. I'll travel with you to the lake. There you must trust to Coyote. We won’t be able to help you any further until after you have spoken to Coyote.}}

“Was it you I have been hearing asking me to come run with you?”

{{Yes it was me. In the past, our fathers have been able to speak with each other. Your Grandfather would not come and run with us. Then your father refused to acknowledge that we could speak. We were beginning to think you would not come to run with us. Another year and it would have been too late. We would have had to wait until you had your child and it was grown before we could try again. By then, the voices may have been too quiet to hear. Go back to sleep. My mate will watch the rest of the night with you. I will rest and then travel with you in the morning.}}

“May I rebuild the fire? It seems to sooth Big Spot, my horse.”

{{If you wish, it may help keep the puma away. The puma has already killed one of our pack. My mate will rest inside the light of the terrible heat. She is good at watching over our cubs. She will watch over you as one of her own.}} With that, the large wolf turned and left. A smaller female walked into the light of the fire and lay down.

{{I watch.}} the female spoke in Jesse’s mind.

Jesse spoke to the smaller wolf. “Welcome to my camp. I'm glad that you and your mate are watching over my horse and me. Although, Big Spot may not feel quite as at ease as I do. Thank you for your help”

The female wolf looked up with a quizzical look on her face. {{Do you understand me?}}

“Yes, why?”

{{It is not normal for a male of your kind to be able to speak with a female of our pack. There are stories of some females of your kind being able to speak with our females and our males, but we have no stories of males of your kind speaking to our females. Once we reach the lake, I must tell this to the elders.}}

“Elders? I thought that wolves chose their leader by which ever is strongest or most cunning.”

{{That is not the way of our pack. You will learn this later. Now, lay down and sleep, I'll wake you before first light.}}

Jesse lay down. He was asleep in a few minutes. He dreamed again of running through the woods. Again, everything was in black and white. This time he felt as if he was smaller. He would remember this and speak to the female or male about it later.

Just before dawn he heard the female wolf growling. The fire had died way down. She was standing next to him and looking into graying light. Big Spot was also looking in the same direction. He was beginning to pull at his rope, but the hobble kept him from bolting. Jesse was whispered to the female, “What is going on?”

{{The puma. It is close. I can smell it. I am not sure why it is coming from up wind. It may be wanting to separate you from your horse. It is a wily one. My mate is between us and the puma.}}

Jesse cocked his head and could hear the low growl of the large wolf and the puma. The wolf was slowly backing toward the campsite. {{He will attack the puma if it gets to close.}}

Out loud Jesse said, “Large wolf let the puma come closer. I will try to kill it with my rifle. The shot from my rifle might scare it away if I miss.”

The large wolf backed slowly into the clearing of the campsite. He walked around the dying fire to stand beside his mate. Their hackles were up and growling loudly. Jesse pulled the rifle out of its scabbard. He knelt beside the wolves. “I will let you know before I shoot so as not to scare you.”

Big Spot was trying hard to get away. Jesse was talking soothingly to the painted horse. The two wolves and the puma were almost more than the horse could stand. He did not know why his rider did not shoot the wolves. It confused him that his rider and the wolves were standing side by side against the puma.

The big cat was working its way around the camp clearing looking for a chance to kill the large male wolf. If he could kill it first, then it would be easy enough to kill the smaller wolf and then the human. Then he could take his ease with the horse. There would be plenty of meat for awhile.

The large wolf was beginning to fidget, {{I can’t sit here with that cat out there. It makes me nervous. I need to attack it and drive it away.}}

“That is what the cat wants you to do,” said Jesse. “If he can get us one on one, he will kill us all. Sit still and he'll come to us. When he does he'll have all of us to deal with at once. We can take him if we are patient.”

The cat continued to circle. {Why do they wait? I would have thought the large male would have come after me by now.} He was down wind now. The horse didn’t bolt like he had hoped. He could smell the horse, the man, and the two wolves. He was hungry. This waiting was not to his liking. He would rather ambush his prey, but the wolves had prevented him from doing that earlier. He decided he would make a charge. If he could catch them off guard, he might slash the large wolf and wound it enough to put it out of the fight.

Jesse knew the cat was downwind now. He said, “Move to the other side of the fire and lay down. The cat will think that you are sleeping and try to make its attack. I'll be ready for it.” The two wolves moved to the other side of the fire and lay down.

The puma waited just out of sight. He could see the wolves lay down like they were going to sleep. He would give them a little time and then make his move. The man added some wood to the fire and started acting as if all was normal. He started frying bacon in the pan and making coffee. The smell of the bacon was too much for the big cat. He sprung into the clearing running for the wolves. Jesse pulled his pistol and fired at the big cat. The cat was half way to the wolves when he heard the shot. The dirt kicked up just in front of him. He turned immediately back into the woods. He heard another shot and then heard the ripping of leaves near his ears. A third shot did not come as close, but he was not taking any chances now. He would face the man some other day when he didn’t have the wolves with him.

The wolves were whimpering from the loud noises of the 0.45 cal pistol. “You can get up now,” said Jesse. “I don’t think we will have any more trouble with that puma. I'm not as good a shot as my Grandfather. If I was, that cat would have been dead.”

The large wolf slowly got up. “Do you want any bacon?” asked Jesse.

{{That was louder than I thought it would be,}} stated the large male. {{You didn’t hit the cat?}}

“No I missed. I won’t miss next time. Are you sure you don’t want any bacon?”

{{What is bacon?}}

“It is salted pork or pig. It’s good.”

{{We will try some then.}}

Jesse finished frying up the bacon. He fried all that he had, but he was glad to share with his new friends. After cleaning up and putting out the fire, he saddled Big Spot. He put his equipment on the horse and mounted. Big Spot was still nervous with wolves around, but his rider seems to be friends with them. Spot decided he’d stay with his rider. He did not want to face the puma alone.

The ride up to the lake was uneventful. Jesse was able to take in the scenery. The mountain tops still had snow on them. The valleys were green. The glades they passed through were alive with flowers and bees. They didn’t stop for lunch as the events of the morning had taken extra time. Jesse wanted to get to the lake and get a fire going in case the puma decided to come back.

The wolves decided that they would spend another night with Jesse before they rejoined the pack and reported into the elders. Jesse would set up his camp before he began to seek Coyote. He found a large tree to which he could tie Big Spot so he could reach the water and graze. He gathered fire wood for the night. Jesse set up his tent where rain water run-off would not flow under his tent. Then he took out his fishing pole. He would try to catch dinner for his friends and him. He chose a rubber worm with a red head and black tail.

The large male came over and asked, {{What are you doing?}}

Jesse thought, {How do you explain fishing to a wolf?}

“I am trying to catch a fish.”

{{That is not how we do it.}}

“I am not a wolf.”

The wolf thought to himself, {That can be arranged.}

Jesse fished for about an hour and had enough fish to feed himself and his friends. He filleted the fish to removed the bones and then cooked them. {{Why do you remove the bones?}}

“Fish bones can get caught in human’s throats. We would choke on them.”

The large male wandered over to his mate and lay down. The wolves slept while Jesse kept watch. They did not worry about the puma, but being cautious was prudent. Jesse kept his back to the fire, so his eyes would be more adjusted to the dark. He kept his rifle across his knees. With his horse and the wolves nearby, Jesse felt the night was safe. He noticed the moon rising in the east. He realized that the moon would be full within the week. The partial moon was bright and together with the reflected light off the lake lit a lot of the surrounding area.

He decided that while he was watching he would try to catch some fish for breakfast as he didn’t have any more bacon. He was doing well fishing when he heard a great horned owl. As he relaxed, his hearing seemed to improve as he could hear the nocturnal movements of the animals around the lake. He watched deer come to drink and other animals including stray cattle. He was glad he came and was at peace with himself and his world.

When the moon was high, the large male came over the lake to drink and watched Jesse for a few minutes. He yipped before walking to Jesse so as not scare him. {{I'll take over watching. Have you caught any fish?}}

“I have enough for breakfast. I had forgotten how beautiful it is up here. The lake is alive with animals visiting under the moon light. I have been able to hear and smell animals that I would not have if I had stayed on the ranch. I have not thanked you for staying with me. That puma could have killed my horse and me.”

The large male thought to himself, {The ties are strong between this one and his fore fathers.} {{We were happy to be around when the puma showed up. Your strategy and weapons saved our lives too. The puma has already killed one of our pack. This puma is a bad one. We'll be leaving at daylight. We have to meet with the elders. I'll wake you before we leave.}}

“As much as I would like to sit up with you, I'm going to bed. Maybe if we meet again, we can sit and howl at the moon.”

{{We'll be back once we have reported to the elders. By the way, we don’t howl at the moon.}} There was definite distain in that last thought.

Jesse lay down in his bedroll. He listened to the nocturnal sounds for a few minutes before he finally fell asleep. He had the dream of running through the woods. This time, he was able to smell and hear things as he was running. The smells were different from what he was used to. They were more vivid. He was able to distinguish individual animals by their smell alone. When he stopped it seemed he could hear sounds much further away or the faintest sounds next to him. His ears tickled as he imagined them turning toward the sounds. Instead of being concerned about the dream, he felt like it was natural for him. He was content with his life. If he did not win the fight over his grandfather’s will, he would be content living off the land in the back country with the wolves.

up
240 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The White Wolf 3

Waiting for more.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This is getting very

This is getting very interesting. I can't wait to read the next part.

Still following the story

... as am curious which way this will go. It can be anything from Wolves being Weres or Jesse being a shaman etc.

Kim

A suggestion?

Don't use Greater Than or Less Than signs for bracketing wolf-thought, we've ended up completely losing their side of the conversation... I assume you still have the original document saved? I suggest you go through and replace all the existing brackets with real brackets: { and } and repost so we can get the rest of the story :)

Or, if you really want to bracket in that style, paste the &symbolname; directly into the original document saved on your computer and then paste it back on here.

The reason you shouldn't do bracketing the way you have been is because in html, which this site allows to be used in our input fields, that kind of bracketing delineates tags. Tags aren't meant to be seen by the person reading the page, so they get hidden. You seem to have gone through later and tried replacing the literal characters with their &symbolname; equivalents, and managed to lose the text intended to fit between. You missed one, but it seems to be garbled in the source somehow anyways.

I am enjoying it, but I really wish I could see the wolves portion of the conversation. I'd probably enjoy it more!

PS: You seem to have quite an issue with HTML in general... you have a runaway emphasis tag too! I'd offer to try to fix some of it up for you, but I don't have access.

Abigail Drew.

Thank you for your coment

I have reposted the story a change in brackets. Not sure about the run away emphasis tag.

Barb Allan

Hmm.

This just keeps getting more and more intriguing.

Wolves as allies if not really friends, A Puma set on killing Jesse and his horse, other things and sensations in the background with Jesse's dreams.

Yes, very good story so far.

Maggie

Didn't Realize...

...that you had actual dialogue in the wolf's part of the conversation until that last "the large wolf thought to himself". Other than that, our protagonist's responses told so much of the story that the wolves' comments could be inferred without a lot of trouble, though it seemed somewhat unusual.

We're certainly off to a good start. I'm guessing that the senior wolf that we haven't met yet is the white wolf of the title. (Was it the one that was howling outside the house? I don't think their current companion has been identified as the one who did.)

Clearly from the black-and-white vision and heightened other senses, he's dreaming as another species, be it wolf or coyote. No indication yet whether his dream-self is male or female.

Eric

Brackets

Now that I have fixed the brackets where you can see the wolf's side of the coversation you will see that the large male had been callinh Jesse.

Barb Allan

I like where this is going.

The call of the wild must be answered by those who have the soul to hear it. There are many possibilities as to the next level this can go, and knowing you you will create the most interesting one.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

The Puma is a bit stupid,

The Puma is a bit stupid, isn't he? If it had any brains it would leave the area and search for easier prey. Having to pack animals pool their ressources against you should even give an apex predator like a puma some stuff to think about.

So the protagonist can speak to the male and the female wolfes. I guess as a crossdresser he's better in touch with his female side than the everage shaman, but I wonder if there is more to it. Since he can speak to the male wolfes, I guess there won't be a m2f transformation, but maybe Coyote decides to play a prank.

Thank you for writing this interesting and captivating story,
Beyogi

cat problems

I can definitely foresee more cat problems ahead. Is there going to be anything with the kid on the next ranch also hearing the call of the wolf?
great story so far, thanks

Finally got around to reading

Finally got around to reading this part :) Good story, I'm so interested in finding out what the Elders of the pack have to say about him being able to speak to the female wolves :) Must have something to do with why people mistake him for a girl, or used to for that matter. :)

Good story I love it :)


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Barbara, Cool Story!

I really like wolves. My partner and I had a wolf-husky hybrid pair in the mid nineties. The dog was about 80% wolf; he was very smart and did and figured out all kinds of things. (I think their brains are something like 20 - 30% larger than that of a dog-K9 of the same weight.) He did seem to act slightly confused at times; we imagined he was having a little trouble with wolf instincts vs K9 instincts, but maybe not.

The bitch was 90 or more % wolf and, we thought, acted completely wolflike. We had some personal trouble, they escaped a few times so the city came, took them away and killed them, the A--holes. We think a nosy, old lady, neighbor with cats complained.

My partner's maybe 25 - 35% native. We respect their beliefs a lot. Great story so far!

I just had one question: why did he shoot at the puma with his pistol instead of his rifle?

>> “Large wolf let the puma come closer. I will try to kill it with my rifle. << >> Jesse pulled the rifle out of its scabbard. He knelt beside the wolves. “I will let you know before I shoot so as not to scare you.” <<

>> Jesse pulled his pistol and fired at the big cat..... << ?

I guess it depends on how skilled and accurate he felt about the rifle vs the pistol. For me the rifle would have been much more accurate, but maybe harder to train on something fast moving and close.... I've never shot at anything moving, so I actually can't say....

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Very nice!

I like this-a lot! Very good use of imagery (something I'm NOT very good at). I like being able to "see" the story in my head. So much more enjoyable, and I have such a hard time with it! I'm looking forward to the next xhapter!

Wren