The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 20

Printer-friendly version

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 20
by Barbara Lynn Terry

(Author's note: You can view Tai Chi (taiji) and qigong (chi kung) at www.taichihealtways.com. Tai Chi Healthways is located at 5051 Sterling Grove Lane, San Diego, CA 92130.)

Chapter 1 - Arriving at Naomi's house.

As they left the restaurant, they started singing On The Road Again, and even Rachel joined in. They reached the county line, and finished the song. Eve was a little concerned about Naomi's safety in dealing with the man in the restaurant.

"Naomi," Eve started, "I was really worried about you, when you were facing the man with the knife."

"Eve," Naomi answered, "I am a black belt Tai Chi martial artist. I was a little reluctant to use that in disarming him, but he left me no choice. See, when I was put through college by Alameda county, I studied criminology as my major and martial arts as my minor. It took four years of studying the art to become sufficient in it, but it also takes practice, too, when you are not training in the class. Any form of martial arts is not for attack, but for self defense and discipline. You have to know when and how to use it. Sometimes it isn't even used at all in certain situations. The only thing that made me nervous, was in using the art to protect not only myself, but the patrons in the restaurant, as well.

"I found out that the Pine Meadows County Sheriff's academy is open to the public to come and watch the deputies being trained. You have to pass through a metal detector, men have to empty their pockets and women have to put their purses on the conveyor belt that goes through an x-ray machine. But, you are welcome to come and watch me work, if you want. I will leave a standing invitation at the desk."

"Yes, but that man has started trouble in the truck stop every time he comes in. If he doesn't like what someone said, he picks a fight."

"He picked the wrong day, time and place to pick a fight." Everybody giggled, including Naomi. "If Jim and I hadn't been there, he could have hurt someone badly or even killed them. Do you know his name?"

"Only that he calls himself 'Buck'," Eve answered Naomi's question.

"Well, they will get his true name at the station. But," Naomi said, with a wide smile, "this is a night we are going to have fun. I am not going to say that the work won't be tedious, because it will. But I will say, that we can have fun doing even tedious work. Now, my concern is for you girls. Are you sure you want to help me tonight? I ask because this can take all night without any sleep. Renée, your father said he will make arrangements to move up as soon as he can find a job in Pine Meadows county, and be able to list the house with a realtor. Your brother and sister will move with us, when we come back tomorrow."

"Naomi," Sharon stated, seriously, "We have been up all night before, so this won't be as tedious as staying in your room at night looking out the window and staring at the road, wondering how far you'd get if you ran away."

"You had thoughts like that, Sharon?"

"Yes, Naomi, and still do. When I get these thoughts, I go to any one of my sisters, or maybe a few of them and ask to talk. There is one thing that we do not do, Naomi. We never refuse another sister to talk to us, or just listen while they talk. Sometimes listening is the best therapy we can get from each other. No, Naomi, we asked to help you, and that is what we are going to do." Melanie and Rachel said, ditto. "Besides, I haven't packed anything for a long time, since packing my suitcases when I moved to the home." Sharon looked a little sad when she said that, and Eve hugged her.

"Sharon, when I was at the home, you were and still are my BFF. You learned a lot in the eleven months I was still there after you arrived. You aren't the only one that has thoughts about suicide, running away, or even being disobedient. We have all been there, and we got the help to deal with those thoughts from our sisters, daddy, Jan, Mom and even Hazel during the night. Sis, like Naomi, I will tell you, that if you ever have any of these thoughts and you don't want to talk to anyone else, you just dial E for Evie."

"I'm sorry," Rachel interrupted. "But why does every adult I know say dial this for this?"

Eve answered her.

"It comes from an old Bing Crosby movie called The Bells of St. Mary's, with Ingrid Bergman. It is a Christmas classic. At the end of the movie Bing Crosby tells Ingrid Bergman, "that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you just dial O for O'Malley. Bing Crosby played Father O'Malley in the movie."

"I never heard of those people," Rachel said, looking kind of sad.

"Rach, honey, I am not surprised," Naomi said, with a serious look in her eyes. "Before coming to Pine Meadows, you were living in a fog. But, since you have been at Pine Meadows, you have been happy, helpful, well behaved like a young lady is supposed to be and you have even asked for help. Like on the road after we left the home, you asked for my help." Then Naomi smiled. "You're going to be just fine little sister."

"Thank you, sis," Rachel answered, looking thoughtful.

Naomi looked in the rear view mirror and saw a few of the girls asleep.

"I see we have a few nappers back there. Maybe you should all get a little sleep before we get to Forest City."

"Sounds like a plan to me, sis," Melanie added.

As the girls fell asleep, Eve talked with Naomi as they drove to Forest City.

"Naomi, is the Pine Meadows sheriff's department accepting applications?"

"I'm not sure, Eve, but I can ask. Are you thinking about joining our pursuit of law, order and justice?"

"I am. I was thinking about this for some time. I mean, the benefits are good, and the hours are good."

"You know though, that if you apply and are accepted, you will be put through the academy. That means I will be your superior and your trainer in hand to hand self defense. Because you are a friend and a sister, does not mean I will use favoritism towards you. I take my job very seriously, and I like my job. I transferred to Pine Meadows because of Rachel, so I could be close to her.

"To tell you the truth, Eve, I really won't miss the hustle and bustle of the city. When I was growing up, I was raised in Sheffield, about thirty minutes from Forest City. I moved to Forest City, because of my position as a trainer, so I wouldn't have far to go to get to work."

"Well, I wouldn't ask for favoritism, anyway. Not from a sister and a friend. I need something for the future, something with decent benefits. At the restaurant, I have to save my tips for my future, and use my check for my bills. Except for the tips, there are no benefits at the restaurant. I'm young enough to work until retirement age."

"Eve, even if you were sixty five years old, they will ask you if you want to retire, and if you say no, they will put you on a desk. Desk duty is what you make of it, though. It can be fun, it can be interesting, or it can be a drudge. So, if you really are serious, I will ask when I get my assignment on Monday. I will be training and doing patrol duty for off duty deputies. A lot of us do double duty like this all the time. Do you think you are ready for that?"

"I work ten hours a day at the restaurant. I am ready for whatever it is I have to do."

"Also, if we are called to a crime scene, we may not go home after eight hours, but after what we are doing at the crime scene is finished. That could be an overnight thing. Do you think you could do that? We also do surveillance work too, where we just sit, sometimes for hours on end. That might even be at a place where there is no coffee shop or restaurant nearby."

"I don't need anything to drink, except maybe a bottle of water to keep me hydrated."

"What if you don't have time to stop and get a bottle of water, or didn't bring one from home?"

"Then, I go without."

"Good."

"How did you meet Rachel?"

"When I met her, she was in front of the children's court judge. The judge instructed me to take her and put her in girl's detention clothes, and bring her back to the courtroom. After she was back in the courtroom, I left. A little while later, I got a call that I was supposed to transport Rachel Eileen Watkins to the Pine Meadows Home For Adolescent Girls. On the way there, we had a little talk. Then she saw a girl riding a horse, and asked me if riding a horse was fun. When I told her it was a lot of fun, she said she thought she would like that. I thought to myself that she will be just fine. Then I told her I would make her a deal. If she behaved herself and took part in the therapy programs set up for her, I would help her through her therapy at least three times a week.

"So, instead of making that long trip from Forest City three times a week, or more, I started looking around to see if I could transfer to Pine Meadows. I wanted the state police, but they were full, so I asked at the sheriff's office, and they said they would let me know. The next day there was a message on my voice mail saying they had accepted me as a deputy for the Pine Meadows County Sheriff's Department. So, here we are."

"Are deputies required to wear their guns when they are off duty?"

"Yes. But a lot of us have them where we can get to them, quickly.

"When we come back, after putting everything in a trailer I will rent from U-Haul, we will have two more passengers. Renée's little brother and sister. Tonight, we will be packing everything. Carl, Renée's father, will use a moving van company to move all the furniture from the two houses. Then he will drive up here. He says he wants to look for work in Pine Meadows, or around the Pine Meadows area, before he comes up. But, I think he will come up before then.

"I have met him and he is a very decent man. Gloria is Reneée's mother, and she says Carl protects them with a vengeance. He doesn't pick fights, but he doesn't run from them either. That is the kind of father Rachel should have had, instead of a gung ho ex-Marine who thought he could do everything and everyone had to bow to his wishes. He is waiting trial on attempted murder charges for trying to kill Rachel's mother."

"Do you want me to drive for a bit, Naomi?"

"I really can't let you, Eve, because even though this is my personal vehicle, it is set up as a police squad in case I am called off duty, and have to get to a crime scene in a hurry. Most all the law enforcement officers in this state, especially, have our cars set up like this."

"I was just asking.

"You know, listening to you, I think you would make a good sheriff's deputy trainee."

"Naomi, how did you get interested in law enforcement?"

"Well, Eve, it is like this. When I was 16 and still at home, I had a friend in Forest City. Someone had just robbed the bank and was speeding down main street to get away. My friend was crossing the road then, and she got hit by the man's car. This caused the man to swerve and hit a parked car, and he was injured because of it. Alameda county deputies arrested him, for bank robbery and vehicular manslaughter. It was when I saw the two deputies make that arrest that I vowed one day to be like them.

"So, when I graduated from high school, I immediately applied for deputy sheriff. They said that since I was under twenty one, they would make me a junior trainee for three years. I told the undersheriff that I wanted to learn criminology because it would help me in my work when I became a full deputy. He put my request before the county board, and six weeks later I was on my way to state. When I took my SATS they said I learned a lot, and since Alameda County was paying my tuition, I could start right away.

"When I graduated, they sent my grade scores to the Alameda County Sheriff's Department and they were impressed. Since I was now twenty two, they made me a full deputy and assigned me to train rookie deputies. That was ten years ago. Since I have been a deputy, what I learned in college, came in handy. I use what I learned there almost everyday."

"It is too bad you didn't go to law school."

"I did. I went to night school and took my bachelors in law at state. If something ever happens to my deputy job, I can still practice law as an attorney."

"Girl, is there anything you can't do?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact. I don't know how to make rocket fuel." The two women just giggled.

The saying "time flies when you're having fun" became all too true for Naomi and company. Before they knew it they were entering the Forest City city limits. Naomi drove to her house, and then she woke the girls up. Yawning, they looked at where they were, and smiled. Rachel asked whose house this was, and Naomi said it was hers.

Chapter 2 - Meeting another sister.

As they all got out of Naomi's SUV, her neighbor came over.

"Naomi, I am glad you are back. There was a guy sneaking around your house. I called the police, and they have him in jail. I guess he was trying to climb through one of your windows when the police arrested him."

"Thank you, Janet. Did you ever see him before?"

"No, a complete stranger around here."

"Alright, I will go down and see what this is all about. Maybe he figured he could steal something. Which window was he trying to climb through?"

"The second one the side of house, by the gangway."

"Omg, that's my bedroom. Thank you, Janet. Janet I want you to meet the young lady I have told you so much about. Janet Rodgers, this is Rachel Eileen Watkins."

"Hello, Rachel, I am so very glad to meet you. Naomi never stops talking about you."

"Nothing good, I hope." Everybody giggled.

"She said you adopted Naomi as your big sister."

"Yes, well, we all did. This is my BFF Renée, my friends Sharon and Melanie."

"It is nice to meet you, girls. Welcome to Forest City. Naomi, I wish you luck in your new home."

"Thank you, Janet."

Janet Rodgers is a twenty three year old, single mother of two girls, who act more like twins than identical twins do. Mary Rodgers is three years old, and Paula Rodgers is five.

"So girls, what are you doing up so late?"

"We're going to help Naomi and Renée pack, so they can move to Pine Meadows County."

"I remember when I was at the Pine Meadows Home For Adolescent Girls. I was there until I turned eighteen and graduated from Pine Meadows High. Are any of you girls from the home?"

"Sharon, Melanie and I are, Mrs. Rodgers. Renée is an honorary sister and my BFF."

"Well, since we are sisters, you can call me Janet. Is Ms. Wells still super there?"

"Yes, she is," Rachel answered.

"Naomi, where in Pine Meadows County are you moving to?"

"A half a mile from the home. I'm going to help Rachel and the other girls, it they'll let me. They made me an honorary sister, too."

"That is an honor we don't bestow too lightly. You and Renée must have done something really nice for the girls to make you both honorary sisters. I will give you my sister's address, and you can look her up sometime." Naomi wrote down the address for Janet's sister.

"Thank you, Janet."

"Hi Janet, I'm Eve. I was at the home, too. These are all my sisters, and like we used to say, all for one and one for all. I work at the truck stop, now. I was asking Naomi if the Pine Meadows sheriff's department was taking applications. I mean, the truck stop is okay, but it has no real future or benefits. Naomi said she would be my superior officer and trainer and wouldn't show me any favoritism just because I am a sister and friend. I told her I didn't expect any. We had a wonderful talk on the way down."

"Girls, I know what it is like at the home, but if you ever need to talk, or want advice on a certain boy or whatever, you just dial J for Janet."

"Not you, too, Janet," Sharon stated, acting like she was dizzy. "I mean, Naomi said to dial N for Naomi, Evie said to dial E for Evie. They explained where the saying comes from, and if we can get a hold of the dvd of The Bells of St. Marys, I think we would all like to see it. It sounds like a wonderful movie."

"It is. I love the older movies, because there is more action in an hour and a half movie from then than there is now. Have you girls ever seen Old Yeller?"

"No, Janet," Melanie said, looking confused."

"Well, we will just have to watch that old yeller dog sometime then. It is an endearing movie, a funny movie and a sad movie all in one."

"I cried at the end," Eve said, looking like she was going to cry, again."

"Why, Evie, what happens at the end?"

"Renée, if I told you, it would take all the fun out of the movie. No ma'am, I am not going to tell you. You will just have to see it for yourself."

"I thought we were there for all."

"Yes, Sharon, but not for this. This actually is one movie that if you tell someone the ending, it spoils the whole movie."

"Listen, ladies, why don't we go inside my house, and I will make us some hot cocoa, and we can talk a little more before you have to really start packing."

"Okay, Janet, just for a bit. I have to be back in Pine Meadows County before eleven in the morning. I wasn't supposed to start as a deputy until Monday, but some guy at the truck stop made me start tonight. I actually had to arrest him for endangering my safety and the safety of the patrons in the restaurant part."

"What did he do?"

Naomi told Janet about the man called Buck and what he did. Then told her he left her no choice but to arrest him, because he wouldn't drop the knife.

"Naomi, I think the bad guys in Pine Meadows county are going to ride off in to the sunset, because there is a new sheriff in town." Everybody giggled. "Is Judge Granger still on the bench?"

"Yes, he is. After a certain person's arraignment, he called me in to his chambers to have a talk. I told him how the girls feel about Pine Meadows, and he said he will have to see that for himself. I told him that all the girls at Pine Meadows are plaintiffs and victims, so he is going to wait until after this one person's trial or trials. Girls, do any of you know judge Granger?"

"No, Naomi, because see, since we have been at the home, we have behaved ourselves."

"Thank you, Sharon. When Judge Granger does come to see the home, I will try to be there with him, if I don't have duty."

"Well, we hope you can be there, but we know work comes first."

"Thank you, Mel. Yes, my work is very important to me, just like you girls are."

"Eve," Janet started, "I was wondering if maybe the truck stop is hiring."

"If I get accepted to the Pine Meadows County Sheriff's department, they will be. Why?"

"I was thinking, that maybe I might, just might, move back to Pine Meadows county. When I was in the home, I really enjoyed it there. The people in the town aren't hostile towards the girls, and in fact, will even talk to us, if we want. Remember girls, that in some towns, it takes a village."

"What does that mean, Janet?" Rachel asked.

"It means, that everybody in town will be there to help you and watch out for you. Pine Meadows is just such a town.''

"Well girls, I think we had better get moving, we have a lot to do, not only here, but at Rachel's house, too."

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well the girls are at Naomi's house

Renee_Heart2's picture

And wouldn't you know it someone tried to break in to Naomi's bed room. At least she had Janet watching her house & had the guy arrested & it turns out that the girls as well as Renèe & Naomi have a new sister in Janet.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

ole yeller

i still get tears at that movie.
robert

001.JPG

All nighter

Jamie Lee's picture

There are going to be some tails dragging when they get back to the home. Those girls will have been up for a bit over 24 hours without a solid sleep. Being in one place while up that long is one thing, but having to drive and be up that long.

Why would some guy want into Naomi's house through her bedroom window? Unless he had other motives other than robbery. And really, didn't he kind of pick the wrong house? And messing with the wrong person? Maybe he's safer now that he's in jail.

Others have feelings too.