Legacy of the Anari - 13

Printer-friendly version

Legacy of the Anari

by Ashleigh Blayze

Chapter 13

Ashai Lennox has finished the first part of her deal with the Krayt's leader. The Cobalts are destroyed and their boss Grinder is dead. Now Ashai must deal with the Reivers and their cyborg leader Heti, to get her ride off Yasm.

Talont Spaceport: The Krayts Stronghold- 4:27am

Ashai sat on the side of the fold up bed that Neti was sleeping on. The youngster was exhausted after the events earlier. When she returned to the garage, Neti had flung herself into her arms. The Krayt driver had been kind to the girl, sharing the sweetmeats he was snacking on with her, but the girl was still scared with Ashai away. The presence of an adult who cared about her had a powerful effect on the girl. She didn't want to be away from Ashai for any reason.

Ashai watched quietly as Neti slept, wondering what she should do with her now. She had no family to leave her with. Neti shifted uneasily in her sleep, whimpering at a bad dream. Ashai leaned over and gently tucked the thin blankets around her, before softly stroking her hair. Neti snuggled deeper into the blankets, her expression relaxing at Ashai's touch.

“What am I going to do with her Key? I can't take her with me.”

Why not Ashai?

“Huh? What do you mean why not Key? You said yourself my life is going to be dangerous, she could be hurt or worse.”

Do you think her life will be safer here on Yasm? Key's tone was gentle yet pointed.

“Maybe, I guess, I dunno Key.”

Are you trying to convince me or yourself Ashai?

“Huh? What do you mean?

Key's voice started to sound exasperated.

“Simple Ashai, do you think Neti will be safer here on Yasm? She is a pretty, traumatised young girl, not even a teenager. Would you leave her alone in this city, or do you think she will be safer off planet? You can give her a new life and new opportunities under your protection. With the love and guidance of a formidable warrior who can defend her from any number of enemies, as well as provide safety, companionship and look after her who knows what Neti can make of her life? I know your feelings better than you do Ashai. You want to take Neti with us, why not admit it?

“I'm not her mother Key! Hells, I'm not even used to being female! I'm not ready to be a big sister, let alone a mother.”

Key's mental snort was unconvinced.

What are you afraid of? Is it being responsible for Neti, or that you already feel responsible for her?

“I...can't be a mother Key...I'm not ready for that.”

Key’s mental tone softened slightly.

If we left Yasm without Neti, can you tell me you wouldn't miss her, that you wouldn't worry about her?

“Of course I'd worry about her Key, she's a little girl.”

And would you wonder what she 's doing? Would you miss her?

“I...I guess so.” Ashai stroked Neti's hair again as she held her silent conversation with Key. “I would miss her.” Ashai unconsciously mimicked the sleeping girl as Neti smiled happily in her sleep at the reassurance of Ashai's presence.

If you left Neti here and she was harmed, how would you feel, what would you do?

Ashai didn't answer. She didn't need to, Key's question had her feeling physically ill and berating herself for even allowing such a possibility. Key had made her point, forced Ashai to acknowledge her feelings, unexpected as they were. Neti had already suffered too much. If anyone hurt or threatened her, there would be hell to pay when Ashai found out. Ashai gave a small bemused smile, she had been told of an animal on Lost Terra. Bears had been famed for being fiercely protective of their young. She wondered whether mama bears felt this way.

“Is this what being a mother feels like Key? Where did this feeling come from? I don't want to let her out of my sight, I want to protect her, keep her safe..it happened so fast.”

In part Ashai. It's not all worry though. There will be joy and happiness as well.

Now that she had acknowledged her feelings, a jolt of panic flashed through her.

“What if she doesn't want me Key? What if she doesn't want to leave Yasm?

Don't worry so much Ashai, I think Neti is already very attached to you. Talk with her about it when she wakes and then you can make whatever arrangements are needed with the Krayt. For now though you might want to take advantage of the time to rest before we deal with the Reivers. It will let us face them in peak condition.

“Okay Key that sounds like a good idea.”

The bed was wide enough, so Ashai carefully lay down beside Neti, watching her sleep. Sensing her presence Neti rolled over enough to snuggle in before relaxing into a deep sleep again. After watching for a few minutes Ashai asked Key to wake her around 6am and drifted off to sleep herself. Key spent the rest time ensuring their body was fully healed from the day’s combat, before resuming integrating the data she had absorbed from the VALs. Hound maintained its vigil over its host and the surrounding area, calm and content.

****

Intelligencia HQ Talont City 8:07am

Gantol looked up from the classified report he was working on, at the knock on the door of his Intelligencia office.

“Come.”
His tone was curt, he wasn’t in the best of moods. The escape of the covert operative Lennox yesterday had to be explained to his superiors, as well as his suspicions as to her motives for being on Yasm in the first place. In reality, he had to concede that Sec Bur appeared to have worked reasonably well, considering that it was pure luck that they had become aware of Lennox's presence on Yasm in the first place. A group of gangbangers blowing her cover because of their hormones must have been incredibly frustrating for the assassin. Certainly from the deaths she had meted out she had known her op was blown immediately, the Cobalts hadn’t stood a chance, as the assassin took her frustration out on them.

That still left the vexing question of what exactly Lennox’s operation had been. Who dispatched an enhanced operative out here? Why in the Maker’s name? Lennox had left a trail of bodies behind her on her route off planet with the Eckt couple. Records indicated the Eckt had been on Yasm for years so whatever the connection it was obviously deep. He’d assigned a team of Intelligencia analysts to digging for further information on the Eckt but didn't hold out much hope of any immediate answers that made sense. The Eckt had hidden their tracks very well. Sec Bur had raided TEI and walked straight into a firefight with the damned Reivers, who were obviously interested in Lennox after the Cobalt boss Grinder put the word out after their failed ambush. Bodies at TEI, and the slaughter of Beta Squad in the terminus. Lennox had a lot to answer for but as she was off planet he doubted he would ever get the chance to get those answers.

The door opened and an office administrator poked her head in hesitantly.

“Sorry for the interruption Ser, but I have a Sec Bur Sergeant Katx on hold on the comm. I explained you were busy, but he insisted I speak with you.”

Her polished horns dipped as she looked down nervously. Gantol wasn't known for being kind when he had a bad day, and from the sounds the big Intelligencia officer had made when he returned, the females in the admin pool had no doubt he was in a bad mood. Gantol almost barked a response, but he composed himself. Juti was such a pretty little thing and was due in season soon. Sighing, he nodded and told her to patch the call through. Juti vanished and he grabbed the comm, waiting for a couple of seconds as she patched the Sergeant's call through.

“Sergeant Katx, what can I do for you?”

“Morning Officer Gantol. There was a disturbance in the Slums again last night.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, Sec Bur forces responded to calls of a battle in a warehouse. Turns out it was the Cobalts' main stronghold. Someone slaughtered them, including the Boss Grinder. He was beheaded. One corpse with a blaster wound and the rest all look like blade work. Lots of amputations. Very messy.”

Gantol was silent for a second as he processed Katx’s information. There was only once reason Katx would comm him directly, because he had reached the same conclusion. Lennox hadn't left at all. She was still on Yasm. So why did Lennox butcher her way to an escape route off planet and then not take it? To get the Eckt off world? Distraction and diversion? Could whatever operation she was on be so important she would go to such trouble and then not leave? Then why go and finish off the Cobalts? Too many questions. Important questions and the source of the answers was still on planet.

“Where are you?” He wrote furiously as Katx gave him the coordinate the warehouse.

“I'm on my way Katx.” Gantol said, pausing barely long enough to issue orders to reinstate the raised security around Administration facilities, throughout the Port, as well as monitoring of the surveillance systems for Lennox and reinstating the surveillance on the mercenaries which had been removed after the Emydia launched. Orders given, Gantol ran for his transport.

****

Docking Bay 14- 9:42am Talont Spaceport

“Hey Lt!” Banks called out from his position in the portabooth where the 4th detachment had set up their recruitment station in the Port.

“What is it Banks?” Lt Resnij's voice came from the portabooth’s little office at its rear where he was trying to complete the small mountain of paperwork that had grown because of their deployment to that shithole of a mining town.

“They're back again.” Banks' tone was calm, and unhurried as though he was commenting on something completely unimportant.

“Huh?”

“The Korkari surveillance team that was out there yesterday. They're not subtle at all Lt.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

“Damn.”

There was silence for a moment before the sound of a chair scraping the portabooth’s floor and Resnij walked out front to stand over Banks as though checking on his work. Glancing casually as he pointed at Banks paperwork, Resnij had no problems spotting the Korkari surveillance. Two 'technicians' working on a camera system at the end of the Docking Bay 14. Except it was a one Korkari job and neither one was spending much time working or had the tools they would need. The third member of their team was even more blatant, a Korkari in work clothes who just happened to have chosen a pile of boxes as the perfect spot for his 'lunch break' and who was quite blatantly watching the mercs. He was even taking notes. Between them, the team had the Bay's entrance and the mercenary recruitment booth very thoroughly observed.

“Well I guess we won't be getting any more recruits before we launch then.” Resnij commented sourly. Banks grunted his agreement.

With a curse the tired recruiter returned to his private hell of paperwork. The deployment during the Dtilla raiding had cost him lost time, plus ammunition, rations and broken equipment that all had to be accounted for. Worse, the Maker damned Korkari had shafted him on their 'payment' so not only would the detachment return without their quota of recruits, but also with a negative balance sheet.

That fricking Sergeant Katx had even refused to cough up for the emergency nature of the deployment, although Resnij still had to pay his troops their contracted rate for an emergency. And now with this fracking surveillance, his last day of recruitment time was a fucking bust.

Resnij shook his head in exasperation. Even though she’d been totally hot, he wished that his troop had never heard of, nor seen Ashai Lennox. The Korkari went nuts searching for the girl, implying she was an assassin in the news coverage and swamping his booth with surveillance in the hope she would walk up. He snorted in disgust. If Ashai Lennox was half what they claimed, he would love to have her sign up, but even that wasn't an option, the political flak for the unit would be too extreme. He'd thought all that crap had finished yesterday when the surveillance disappeared as obviously as they had originally arrived, but now the bastards were back. With an exhausted dispirited sigh, he tried to work out what he could do to salvage the recruitment op in the last eleven hours of its time on Yasm.

*****

Ashai had roused as Key awakened her about 7:30am. Neti was cuddled in to her and somehow the blanket had ended up over both of them. Gently she tried to extricate herself and tuck the girl back in under the blankets. Neti complained sleepily as the motion gradually woke her up.

“What you doing Ashai?”

“I need to get up hun, and go finish some business.”

Neti roused herself to a semblance of alertness. “Business, like dealing with Grinder business?”

Ashai nodded. “The people we're staying with are having problems with a gang. I need to arrange transport and they can help me with that so we're doing a trade.”

At mention of transport, Neti snapped alert and looked distressed.

“They're Krayt aren't they? We're in the Port. You're leaving Yasm? Noooo...I don't want you to leave me. ”

“Shhhhh Neti. I...I don't wanna leave you either but I have to leave Yasm....I want you to come with me.”

Neti seemed stumped for a moment, her eyes huge and wet. “You want me to come with you?”

Ashai nodded hesitantly reaching for Neti's hand. “I'm gonna have a dangerous life, but if...if you want me Neti then I want you to come with me so I can look after you, keep you safe.”

Neti's expression was stunned as she realised the depth of Ashai's offer, to her it meant only one thing. “You want to be my Momma?”

Ashai found she couldn't speak she was so choked with emotion. She nodded holding Neti's gaze, hoping that her new found hopes and emotions weren't going to be dashed. There was a long moment before Neti leaped happily into her arms. Ashai held her and with a sense of relief, she simply enjoyed Neti's company.

Key had been correct again, she'd never expected to feel this way let alone so quickly after her change. Perhaps it was the intensity of the experience she shared with Neti or perhaps it was some latent maternal instinct surfacing with surprising ferocity. It didn't matter really, and the emotions she felt now were filling a hole she’d never even realised was there.

“Okay Momma. Thank you.” Joyful tears ran down both faces. With a sniff, Ashai gave Neti's forehead a kiss and reassured her she would be back soon. Getting up from the bed, she grabbed her gear and headed to the washroom next door. After locking the door and placing a Makatov at hand, she stripped off and had Hound retract the armour before savouring a quick shower. The water was warm rather than hot but just being able to get clean after such a savage night was good for her mood.

Once she was clean she dried her self off and then looked at the remains of her crimson top from the day before. It was heavily bloodstained and torn where she had been shot. Ruined. Sighing at the sight with a shiver at her memory of the pain Ashai packed away the top.

“Hound, combat suit please.”

The inky black liquid spread across her body in seconds, forming into the reassuring armour, and quickly she strapped on her Makatovs and then pulled on her new and already battered leather. Looking in the washroom's mirror she recalled the Hab 27, checking her reflection while carrying the big hunting rifle. The armour looked the same, but the woman wearing it was different, prouder, more at ease with herself, but with eyes that showed a measure of pain and sorrow. She still looked sexy as hell, but perhaps the Makatovs didn't have quite the same impact as the rifle. She could feel Key studying her reflection as well, assessing, measuring her growth and development. The woman in the mirror was already vastly more capable and dangerous than the girl at the Hab 27.

How do you feel Prime?

“Mixed emotions I guess Key...so much has happened and I have changed...not just physically but mentally, emotionally.

You are growing Ashai. Her partner's voice was comforting and reassuring in her head.

“Yeah I know but I'm having difficulty with what I'm going to do now.”

Why? Key's tone was gentle and curious rather than demanding.

“Everything I've done before this, everyone I've fought or killed, I've been reacting to circumstances. Situations develop and I dealt with them. I have killed a lot of beings in the last couple of days Key, but it's kind of like they brought it on themselves. Today feels different. I'm not reacting, I've made a conscious decision, made a deal with the Krayt to get off Yasm, and as a result I will be killing Reivers, preferably all of them and especially Heti. I know they can hurt me, but given the advantages you and Hound give me, it's not very likely. The damn Sec Bur are hunting me because they think I'm an assassin and today I am going to be exactly that. Getting paid to kill. I just showered but thinking about this make me feel....dirty.”

Good.

“Huh?” Ashai felt confused.

Just because killing is necessary at times doesn't mean it should be easy, Prime. There have been times in the past where Primes and Guardians forgot this...it led to dark events. I can easily argue that killing the Reivers is necessary, as well as just and well deserved, for the benefit of the populace generally as well as the Krayt and yourself, but none of that means that it should be easy for you to take that action. You have a conscience and that's a good thing. It will prompt you to make such decisions with care. In this case the Krayts's needs and yours coincide and your abilities are the only resource that you have that they need or even want. Do the Reivers deserve what is coming to them? They made their choices long ago, and all you are doing is putting down rabid animals. They make the Cobalts seem like custodians of law and order by comparison.

The fact remains that you don't have much in the way of resources, so if you can hugely increase your resources at the same time as performing a necessary operation, it's sensible to do so. It’s not pleasant to be paid for executing the Reivers but in the circumstances, it is preferable to doing so for free.

Ashai gave a snort of laughter at Key’s black humour.

“Yeah I know Key, and what you say makes sense, but I still don't like it.”

As I said before Prime, good.

Ashai shook her head, reassured by Key although still not happy. Which was apparently exactly how she should be feeling. Picking up her belongings she returned to the small room Shatrtick had allocated for their use. Neti watched as Ashai checked over her equipment. Struck by a sudden thought Ashai got her cred stick and changed some settings to it, before getting Neti’s fingerprint for the stick's sensor. Seeing Neti's quizzical expression, Ashai explained.

“It's just a precaution so I anything happens to me you have some money hun. If I'm not back in a day you can access the stick.”

Neti looked at the cred stick as if it was poisonous and at her suddenly distressed expression, Ashai laughed gently and pulled her into a hug.

“But what if something happens to you Momma?” Neti asked

“Don't worry silly, nothing's gonna happen to me. I'm just making sure if I'm delayed you can get food and stuff until I get back. You keep that for me, okay?”

Neti looked at her searchingly and then finally reassured nodded and accepted the cred stick. Ashai checked the time, it was 8:25, told Neti to get up and dressed so the Krayt could bring her some breakfast, gave her another hug, and a quick kiss and headed out to find Shatrtick.

***

Ashai found Shatrtick in the Krayt's command room, giving instructions to his Lieutenants and their troops. The Togan acknowledged her presence with a nod, not stopping his orders. So far as she could read Togan body language, Ashai thought the Krayt boss looked tense. She was ready to deliver her end of the bargain, but first she needed to ensure Neti was safe.

It was a few minutes wait before Shatrtick moved soundlessly across to where she waited.

“Human, I believe your presence in the Port has been revealed, security has been steadily increasing for the last few minutes. Your handiwork in the Slums is already known, and while there has been no official word at least one news service has suggested that you are responsible by name. I have ordered my Krayt to report any sightings of Sec Bur forces, and be alert in case of attack.”

“What? How?” Ashai asked, surprised by the news.

Shatrtick big black eyes blinked as he considered how to answer the human’s question.

“Sec Bur forces have been at a warehouse, reportedly the Cobalt’s base and the scene of a massacre, since about 4am. The Cobalts have all been killed by a blade or by blaster fire and given that you have been identified as the Cobalt's 'demon' you are been held responsible. This is not surprising as the causes of death are the same as those who were killed two days ago. Sec Bur began reacting a little while ago and security is increasing across the city and Port.”

“It appears the Sec Bur think the use of the blade and the Makatov is a signature of sorts. In a way they are correct, your speed and agility makes it possible to take down most opposition here in close combat so you have been using the Di Kat a lot.” Key said.

“Damn, I hoped they thought we were off Yasm all ready Key, now what?”

“Well, this means that once you attack the Reivers there is a strong likelihood that Sec Bur will react quickly and aggressively, and if they throw enough manpower at us it could become an issue. We won't be able to renegotiate the deal with Shatrtick, getting rid of the Reivers is all he wants and now that Sec Bur is aware you are still on planet, harbouring us poses a risk for him. We need to get the Reivers dealt with and get off planet as soon as possible. It's only a matter of time before someone orders a thorough search of the Krayt's dominion as well as the rest of the Pads.”

“Crap, crap, crap....okay so either I need to take out the Reivers in a way that doesn't attract attention from Sec Bur, or I need to be so fast they can't react, and disguised in some way so that when they search the area no one recognises me. Okay, let's see what Shatrtrick can suggest.”

Ashai's mental conversation took a fraction of a second and there was only a second pause before she responded to Shatrtick.

“I will need to deal with the Reivers rapidly then. Shatrtick how soon after I am done can we get off world?”

“We, Human?”

“I need to take the girl with me as well. I'm sure that's just as easy for you to accomplish as it would be for just myself.”

“It is,” The Togan conceded, “but that was not the deal.” His tone was a little harder, reluctant.

Ashai cocked her head at him, Key and Hound already feeding her tactical data on the Krayt busy working all around. Some had paused at the change in the tone of the conversation their boss was holding.

“So what would you suggest Shatrtick?”

***

Shatrtick saw the tiny movements in the human's body as she shifted her weight, and knew that his next words could provoke a bloodbath. Lennox was, he noted, fully armed, while most of his crew were not armed here in his base. The human had brought in its juvenile the night before and he cursed himself for not recognising the potential danger. He should have distributed weapons ahead of time, made arrangements. Still how was he supposed to know how humans felt about such things? Lennox though was clearly not prepared to leave Yasm without the juvenile. Yet he couldn't just let the juvenile on for free, it would be a loss of face, and his Krayt would remember it as weakness. Maker curse Sec Bur for making his life even more complicated.

“Let me make a comm, Human,” Shatrtick temporised “I don't think it will be an issue but the courier may charge extra.”

There was a tiny nod from Lennox and he retreated to his office to make a call as the human relaxed. The sudden air of tension in the command room eased slightly. Shatrtick hoped that his Lieutenants, had recognised the sudden danger and begun unobtrusively making preparations. Not, he thought ruefully, that he expected it would make much difference to the human. This situation was like being on the back of an angry Gatchi with no way off.

His comm call made a successful connection to the cargo carrier 'Wayflyer'in orbit around Yasm, and the bulky vessel's system routed him through to Dveina Thurti. Dveina was the loading officer for one of the atmo shuttles that the 'Wayflyer' carried. She quickly confirmed that it made no difference to her whether his package was a female and juvenile, or just a female. It was only a small adjustment in mass, and the scheduled run had mass to burn. In her eyes the extra mass helped to further clear the rather large personal debt she owed him faster. Shatrtick decided that he would take the opportunity to reduce the cost to himself of this deal slightly, but not too much, he didn't want Lennox upset.

**

Ashai watched as the Togan came back from his office looking more relaxed and pleased with himself.

“It is not a problem Human. A difference in cost of 10,000 creds, which I will deduct from our agreement; if that is acceptable to you.”

Ashai was going to protest for a moment before she realized that Shatrtick discussing this in the open meant that the extra cost being mentioned was more for the listening Krayt than the money. The big Togan was protecting his reputation and position. She could tell the gangers were happy at the extra money, and assumed they all guessed that the smuggling run was costing their boss next to nothing. Therefore, he would benefit from making the dangerous human pay for taking Neti as well.

She nodded her acceptance with a small smile to indicate she knew exactly what Shatrtick was doing, but was fine with it anyway. Whether or not the Krayt leader picked up her signal, Ashai wasn't sure, but regardless; he relaxed and there was a collective hiss of released breath around the Krayt command room as his gang relaxed and stood down. Ashai let Hound and Key keep on tracking the Krayt around her and followed Shatrtick into his office where he gestured to the seat for her, the office door closing behind her.

“The atmo shuttle we'll smuggle you out on is due to launch at 10:27pm from Docking Bay 14. It's the orbital link to the cargo carrier'Wayflyer'. The ship is too large to land on the planet. It does a regular circuit of nineteen systems, mostly carrying cargo but occasionally also some passengers. My contact on board will ensure you get on board and have the necessary documents to get out of Korkari space.

“Thank you Shatrtick, I’m sure that will be plenty of time. Now we need to deal with the Reivers, without alerting Sec Bur, or at least without giving them time to react. Do you have any plans of their base?”

“That should not be a problem, Human.”

Shatrtick spoke through an intercom and a couple of minutes later a small Korkari brought in a sheet of schematics, which were quickly rolled out on the large desk. Ashai wasn't really sure what she was looking at, but Key quickly began analysing the drawings looking for possible options.

Ask if these drawings are current Prime.

Ashai did and the Krayt leader responded that to the best of his knowledge they were. One of his Lieutenants knocked and Shatrtick excused himself, leaving Ashai to plan. As Key highlighted the relevant sections of the drawings and explained them to her, it was quickly apparent why Heti had chosen her base's location. There was no scope for sneaking her way in. Any approach she made would be in full view of the Reivers on either of the two access tunnels into Heti's base.

“I understand why no one's been willing to commit sufficient force to digging out Heti's forces, casualties would be bad.” Ashai said, muttering to herself unhappily.

I agree Prime, assaulting this position would be unwise. However we do know that the Reivers are understrength and will be demoralized, so it may be possible to try another approach.

“Oh? What are you suggesting Key?”

In the same way that in your negotiations with Shatrtick he was ensuring his position was secure with the Krayt, it may be a reasonable conclusion that Heti position will be significantly weaker after the setbacks you have inflicted on her. A direct challenge should force her to fight you herself, to prevent the Reivers from removing her themselves.

Ashai wasn't sure what to make of Key's suggestion, but Shatrtick returned shortly afterwards.

“Shatrtick what can you tell me about Heti herself?” She asked to see if he had any additional data on her target. Shatrtick shrugged his shoulders.

“Heti?... She's Korkari. Big, vicious, with no respect for anyone or anything. She was in the Korkari military I think then became a mercenary. Went renegade or something and ended up here. Part cyborg from serving in the military. That's how she keeps control of the Reivers. Pure strength and fear. None of them will cross her because she's meaner, faster and stronger than any of the rest of them. When she arrived, she decided the basements in the Port were the safest place for her. Went in, killed off the leaders of the gang that was there and took over. Gathered the biggest, nastiest scum she could find around her and quickly made herself too tough to take out without unacceptable losses. She's a disease, Human.”

“How will the Reivers react now they've taken losses? Will she still be able to command them? Or will she need to reinforce her authority?”

The Krayt leader was silent for a minute while he considered the questions.

“I think she will still have control, it's too soon for the shock to have worn off. Later? She may be weaker. Why?”

“I'm wondering what you really need Shatrtick. Do you really need rid of the Reivers, or do you really need rid of Heti? If she was removed would the Reivers themselves disband? Would you be able to deal with them if they didn't have her in control? Would you be able to absorb the Reivers into the Krayt as soldiers if she wasn't in control?”

The Togan was silent, the idea of combining the two gangs under his control had never occurred to him, but it did offer possibilities. Especially as now the Krayt had far more weaponry and armour after the battle in the tunnel.

“How would you do this, Human?” Shatrtick asked, his eyes blinking with surprise as he considered the human’s interesting strategy.

Ashai smiled. She knew she had him now.

“I would need your help Shatrtick. If I deal with Heti, then I need your forces armed and ready to fight outside of both passages to her base. You disarm them as they come out and then do what you want with them, kill em, or recruit them I don't care, but at least it gives us a chance of removing the Reivers without a mass firefight, and if you can persuade them to join the Krayt then you get more territory, more soldiers and equipment in one go. I think a direct challenge to her authority will force her to come and fight me personally, and when she's dead the problem is done with. If none of them are willing to challenge her, when I defeat her they won't dare fight me either. At least that's the plan. I'm willing to try it as long as you can deliver the support.”

Shatrtick considered for a moment, trying to gauge the Human's chance of success. Her body count at least suggested the plan was basically feasible. There was a lot to lose, but also a huge amount to gain. Nodding his agreement to the plan the Krayt leader began discussing the logistics involved with the Human.

****

Talont Spaceport Docking Bay 14, 10:23am.

The engines of the atmospheric shuttle whined down, once the short ranged craft settled its weight onto the landing pad. Faint trails of steam and exhaust gases peeled away from the thrusters as they began to cool, making occasional popping noises as they cooled and the alloys shrank slightly. Lt Resnij gave the craft a once over with an experienced eye, everything looked fine to him, not that he really knew enough about shuttles to tell if there was a problem. Still nothing was obviously about to fall off, which since the small ship was his detachment's ride off Yasm, was a damn good thing.

The portablock was rapidly opened up again as it was obvious there wasn't about to be a catastrophic failure during the landing. The building's ceramic armour did a good job of protecting the group from the heat of the landing, but with everyone crammed in plus the heat from the shuttle's engines, he was desperate for some ventilation.

“Get the Maker damned door open and get that aircon working Banks!” Lt Resnij said, venting his frustration.

“Got it Lt.” Banks said with a nod.

Lt Resnij turned to a the second man standing next to him. “Yossi, wait until the shuttle debarks and then get chatting with the crew. Find out how long til we can get loading the gear, and ourselves, and get off this mudball.”

“Kay, Boss.”

“Misha, keep an eye on our newbies for me. I'll be in the office if anything crops up.” Lt Resnij said before he muttered to himself. “killing some more paper.”

Rubbing the stubble on his chin and cheek and wishing he'd had a shave earlier, Resnij headed to the back room. Outside, his troops rapidly took up the spots they had occupied in the shade from the Docking Bay’s protective embankments. Nobody wanted to spend longer in the stifling heat, but unfortunateley for the tired and stressed Lieutenant it was necessary.

***

Warehouse in the Slums: 10:47am

Intelligencia Officer Gantol looked around the carnage in the warehouse once more. This second look around refused to reveal any more than the first. When he had arrived he had immediately ordered the building sealed to keep the ever inquisitive newsies out, and the thick stench of human blood was overwhelming to his sensitive Korkari nose. Every so often Sergeant Katx would bring him an update from the technicians processing the slaughter. More than one had taken a short break from their work to let their senses recover. Gantol noted however that Katx was as determined as himself to stop Lennox, and never even flinched from the smell and gore that was all around as he barked out orders to his crews.

Gantol's initial examination of the scene had allowed him to plot the macabre dance that Lennox had cut through the Cobalts. Katx had identified all of the Cobalts lieutenants amongst the dead, as well as the big human called Grinder who had ruled here. Idly scratching behind his left horn, Gantol visualised the scene in front of him. Lennox had no difficulty with fighting in the dark, an important detail to add to the growing file on the assassin. Just as obviously the human trash she had executed were not so blessed. They'd been ripped apart, but where the strikes at the ambush scene were purely efficient punishment, the warehouse scene spoke of Lennox's rage. The Cobalts had stood no chance whatsoever and the human female had sliced them apart, very, very quickly. Only a single blaster wound in the site, on a body which Katx identified as Faltr, Grinder's top Lieutenant. The boss himself had been killed with the same blade that slaughtered the rest. Grinder's execution could best be described as...contemptuous, Gantol decided.

The question was what would Lennox do next? More importantly how the Maker could he stop whatever operation she was conducting? That she hadn't been found when Sec Bur investigated the docking Bay after the Eckt escaped Yasm meant that the Krayt had to be involved somehow in Lennox evading Sec Bureau. The Krayt's leader maintained a business like relationship with the Intelligencia, so it was time to put some pressure on Shatrtick.

Stepping out of the warehouse he walked outside through the rear entrance. Another note on the file was that the warehouse's power supply was completely burned out, apparently the result of a power surge. Sec Bur had reported a power surge destroyed a great deal of their equipment in the Cargo Transit. Initially that had been presumed to be an unusual coincidence, but a second surge meant that Lennox was somehow responsible for that as well. More unanswered questions to add to the list. Growling with frustration, Gantol reached for his comm.

Krayt Den, 10:59am

Ashai waited for Shatrtick to come back from his office where he was taking the comm call that had interrupted their planning. It wasn't a problem, they had already made the arrangements. The Krayt's boss just needed to give the orders to his troops. Feeling the sensation of being watched she glanced around.

Shatrtick was still in his office, gazing intently at her while he talked animatedly on the comm. The Krayt leader hurriedly shifted his gaze, leaving Ashai with an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. She couldn't hear what he was saying, the office was sound proof with the door closed, but now really wished she could.

“Key, do you think Shatrtick is talking about me?”

I can't answer that Ashai. If he was Human or Anari, then analysis of his body language could indicate agitation but I don't have enough data on Torgans to make a comparison. The best I can say is see how he behaves when he comes out of the office and trust your instincts.

“What do I do Key? If Shatrtick betrays us we are screwed. Can I leave Neti here?”

I don't think we have a choice Ashai. Neti is safe here for the moment and Shatrtick is our route off Yasm. If things go to hell then we know which Docking Bay to head for, and the Krayt's defences are fairly feeble at best.

Ashai watched as the Krayt's leader finished his comm call, looking uncomfortable under her scrutiny. Finally the big Togan stood up and left his office.

“Everything okay, Shatrtick?”

“Yes Human, everything is fine. Just an old ...business contact looking for a deal. Sorry about the delay.”

Ashai nodded her understanding, trying to read the Togan's body language. Finally she decided there was nothing else she could do right now except take a couple of precautions. Leaving the Krayt boss giving orders to his troops Ashai walked across and casually looked though the equipment salvaged from the tunnel. Spotting a couple of comm units she slipped them into her coat pocket and headed to the room where Neti was resting, quickly programming them as she walked.

***h

Shatrtick gave the Krayt their orders, while his mind hurriedly calculated, looking for the best of an increasingly bad series of options. Sec Bur and Intelligencia were after Lennox, and somehow or other Gantol knew she was with the Krayt. He hadn't said so, not outright, but that bastard spy was too damned smart. For him to comm Shatrtick cautioning him that unless Lennox was detained the administration would be forced to impose a quarantine on all trade....it was a threat and not even a subtle one. Still at least Gantol obviously had no inkling of his deal with Lennox, if he had Sec Bur would already be swarming around. If he gave Lennox up, he had to do it while she was dealing with the Reivers, as far from the Krayt base as possible, and preferably once Heti was dead. The human juvenile could serve as a hostage...His mind still working the Krayt leader continued giving his orders.

***h

Ashai crouched at the top of the access ramp, and peeked around the corner. Nothing. It wasn't really surprising the Reivers hadn't posted a guard on the access tunnel, but it definitely wasn't smart. They had at least hauled their dead away, or somebody had. She was sure that Heti was thrilled at the loss of weaponry and equipment the Reivers had suffered. Ashai grinned wolfishly, the Reivers should be thoroughly demoralized by now, and she intended to really ruin their day now.

The Krayt had piled into the back of two trucks, loaded down with as much weaponry as the two 6 man squads could carry. The twelve Krayt were the most Shatrtick was willing to commit to Ashai's plan. She would have preferred more, but the gang leader was adamant that a third truck would attract unwanted interest. Ashai had hidden herself in the second truck, but once again the Sec Bur guards in the Cargo Terminus ignored the gang vehicles. The aliens crouched around her in the truck had relaxed once they reached the access tunnel, before the tension resumed when they reached the far end. Ashai remained calm, ignoring the Krayt, paying attention instead to her comm's earpiece.

Neti had been reluctant to see her go, but understood that Ashai had to conclude her dealings with Shatrtick. She made Ashai promise to come back though, and was very serious as her new mother gave her a liberated comm unit. With a final tearful hug and kiss, Ashai left and Neti locked herself in the room Shatrtick gave them to use. Ashai had her long duster on, both Makatovs with their spare power packs and the Di Kat over her shoulder. Reluctantly she left the rest of her belongings behind in her pack with Neti. She didn't like that idea but going off to fight carrying surplus gear was pointless.

As a last precaution she left Neti with a handful of micro stun grenades, explaining their use to the youngster. She hoped like hell Neti didn't need them, but if everything went to hell at least the youngster would have a chance, especially as her comm was slaved to keep her in constant contact with Ashai. The second comm had been quietly deposited in a corner of the Krayt command room as they made final preparations. If Shatrtick planned a betrayal Ashai might have some warning.

The plan was simple. The Krayt were waiting behind her, and would move up into the passage once Ashai was on her way. There they would move to cover the two entrance passages that led to the Reivers den while Ashai challenged Heti. It was stupidly risky and could go horribly wrong but she still felt it was a better option than going in all guns blazing and bringing Sec Bur down on her head. Shaking her head at a the lack of good options, Ashai decided that now was as good as any other time. Clearing her mind of her worries about Neti and her frustration, Ashai signalled behind her to the two Krayt squads and quickly and silently moved down the passage towards the junction where she had bottlenecked the Reivers before. After a few seconds she heard the slight noises made by the Krayt. Ashai was almost to the junction when there was a dull thud behind her and a muffled curse.

“Oh crap. All the idiots had to do was move quietly.”

Hound almost immediately detected two noise sources moving to investigate the disturbance, Key painting the hostile indicators on her vision. Ashai sped up, still managing an eerie silence as her enhanced body placed every footfall just so, and the Di Kat appeared in her hand almost magically. She was committed now, and praying silently that there weren't any more Reivers close by. Ashai seemed to glide around the corner to engage the gangers, the Di Kat held high ready to strike.

Time slowed. The nearest target was a Togan. A big male. Not the size of Shatrtick but heavily armed with an over sized flechette cannon. His targeting icon turned glaring red as Key locked and analysed the data. The second was a Korkari female, still bigger than a human but already injured. Armed with a power maul the Korkari female lagged behind the Togan. Key painted the second target's icon a yellow on Ashai's sight.

Selecting her strike, Ashai had plenty of time as she angled deeper into the tunnel, closing the distance before the Togan could react, legs flexing in a leap that took her striking blade to the hapless Reiver's neck. The big alien was dead before its nervous system had even begun to react to her sudden presence. Ashai's leap carried her past the falling body as she twisted in mid-air, powerful leg muscles absorbing the force of bouncing off the tunnel wall. The Korkari female's reactions were quicker than the unfortunate Togan, but not fast enough to avoid an arm stronger than an alloy bar wrapping itself around her neck in a choking hold while Ashai's momentum yanked the larger figure to the ground. With lightning speed Ashai shifted her grip bringing the blade to the Korkari 's throat with enough pressure to draw blood.

“Freeze Reiver, or I'll take your head as well.” Ashai hissed venomously in the Korkari's ear. Time returned to normal as for a half second Ashai thought the Reiver would struggle, and increased the blade pressure, cutting deeper.

“I yield human, I yield...please...” The female gasped out the words and stopped struggling.

“Wise, very wise. Do exactly as I say and I won't gut you right here. Disobey and you will be the first to die. Understood?”

****h

Heti looked up as one of her newly promoted Lieutenants caught her attention with a grunt. What was that stupid mare Oscht doing back in the den and where was Gurt the Togan? Where's her fucking maul? Heti caught the scent of Oscht in the draught as she stood up. Maker's breath, she's terrified! The other Korkari in the den could smell the stink of her fear as well, and shifted uneasily as Oscht stood frozen in the tunnel entrance. Heti snarled and the smaller Korkari tried to back away then jerked to a halt before being shoved forward. What the?

A human female stepped sideways from behind Oscht, who stood frozen, radiating shame, fear and submission. The human was holding a blaster, its bore shoved in Oscht's back, and in her other hand she held...

The Reivers began moving as they saw the human, some reaching for their weapons, others to escape. Heti's augmented brain noted that all those looking to escape carried previous injuries from the mauling in the tunnel, even as her processors identified the shapes in the human's hand.

“STOP!”

“FREEZE.”

The Reivers stopped in mid motion, looking at Heti uncertainly, while their leader scowled, noting that almost half of what remained of her troops seemed to be as scared of the human as they were of her. That was intolerable. The scowl turned to a darkly surprised chuckle at the speed the human reacted, shouting her command with a good deal of authority at the same time as Heti herself.

“She's holding armed grenades you idiots, no one move.”

The human grinned nastily. “Four Blarcht Suprex Detonators.”

Heti winced mentally, although her expression never changed. If those grenades detonated the blast wave would bring down the roof as well as pulverise everyone in the den.

“Well you have my attention human, what do you want?” Heti demanded icily.

The human female prodded Oscht who jerked and then took a deep breath before speaking loudly and clearly.

“The human's called the Leader's Challenge.”

Heti snarled at the outrage, the gall of this wretched human, before her cold laughter echoed in the Reiver's den.

“You mean to take the Reivers from me human?”

“It seemed easier than slaughtering the rest of them, I've done enough of that already.”

The human looked alert but at ease and her scent wasn't fearful. In fact she didn't smell quite the same to Heti as other humans she'd come across. Heti sensed her gang reacting to the human female's statement, and realised she had no choice. Regardless of the rules she'd made herself about who ruled the gang, the scent of their fear in the den was thick now, leavened with anxiety and edged with panic. The only way her gang wasn't going to unravel before her eyes was if she killed the human who had ripped their collective swagger and machismo away in the access tunnel. Well, if this human thought killing her would be as easy as killing her Reivers it was in for a nasty surprise.

“Fine human, you want me, come and get me.” With that Heti fluidly stood and stalked across the den, her cybernetics reporting fully capable as the cyborg readied herself for a fight.

***r

Ashai knew she looked unconcerned as the Korkari female scrambled out of the way giving her first proper look at Heti the Reiver, but mentally she took stock and wished Heti was smaller. The Reiver's feared leader was a freak. Physically she was huge for a Korkari female, almost as large as the Togan male Ashai had decapitated a minute before. Shatrtick had told her the Reiver was augmented, but seeing Heti in the flesh made it clear the Krayt boss had somewhat underplayed Heti's augments.

Heti was well over 2.2 metres and seemed almost as wide, but where Ashai expected to see the heavy coarse fur Korkari had, most of the Reiver's body seemed to be cybernetic, matte black metallic plates of armour that moved smoothly and soundlessly. Even Heti's horns had been augmented. Instead of facing a female Korkari, Ashai found herself facing a full cyborg, even most of Heti's face had been replaced, her snarling muzzle and nose jutting out from the armoured form. Heti wore a strapped combat harness but obviously felt that was all she needed given almost all of her body was artificial. She stepped away from her gang and moved into the clear middle of the den.

Warily, Ashai unsheathed the Di Kat, the metal whispering as it slid free, her other hand holstering the big Makatov, as the gangers moved to form a big circle around the duel. Hound and Key struggled to analyse Heti's augmentations as Ashai disarmed the grenades and took up a guard position the Di Kat blade held high. Heti took note of the Di Kat with a snort of dismissive laughter. The cyborg spread her arms wide and there was snick of sound as wicked paired blades extended from hidden sheaths in her arms.

“Shit. That frickin metal monster has more height, weight, reach and now those blades as well.”

Heti laughed evilly as Ashai was unable to stop a surprised expression flitting across her face.

“I'm gonna carve you into little bits human. You have no idea what you're facing.”

“Is that so Heti?, I dunno you look like you're a little rusty.” Ashai sneered back, putting on a brave face in spite of suddenly feeling very over matched. The Reiver growled angrily and stepped forward.

“For your impudence I'm gonna hurt you instead of just killing you.”

The Reivers around them roared their approval and the fight was on.

Ashai gave ground as she barely parried Heti slashing arm blades, managing to redirect the lightning fast strike as Heti lunged in.

“Shit she's fast.”

Heti pressed the attack, a series of swipes and lunges with her twin pairs of arm blades, the sheer weight of her strikes forcing her smaller foe to try and divert and dodge her strikes. Ashai rolled desperately hurling herself under Heti's offence, flicking the Di Kat blade as she moved trying to hamstring the cyborg. Heti laughed manically again as she easily stepped away from the strike, and followed Ashai's movement turning defence into a lightning fast kick that Ashai barely avoided, dodging once more.

There was a moment's pause as the first exchange ended with both fighters in a guard position. Ashai grimly wondered how this was going to turn out. The Korkari Reiver was far faster than she had expected, fast enough that Ashai was having to work hard to avoid her lethal strikes. Ashai thought she was still faster but only just, and Heti's cyborg reactions were death adder quick, comparable to her own. Key was running analysis looking for weaknesses in Heti’s technique and her armour but so far there was nothing.

Heti surged forward again attacking in a blur of alloy. Ashai's evaded the first swipe but was forced to block the second with the Di Kat, throwing a shower of sparks along the clashing blades. She grunted in sheer shock at the strength behind Heti's attack, even as the cyborg span with lethal grace, unlocking the blades and planting a fierce kick in her ribs.

Ashai screamed in pain as she was hurled clear across the gang's den, time slowing as Key catalogued the damage. The kick badly fractured five of her reinforced ribs, even with Hound's protection. The flying impact with the concrete wall hurt like hell but didn't do any substantial damage. She fell to the floor with a grunt, before forcing herself to ignore the grinding sensation in her rib cage as she rose quickly in case Heti followed up.

“I'll admit you surprise me Lennox. You Humans are normally so damn squishy but you seem to be made of sterner stuff.” Heti spoke calmly, watching as Ashai readied herself for the next exchange, “Still I haven't had a fight last even this long in years so I suppose I should thank you for the workout, pathetic as it is. Ready for more pain, Lennox?”

Ashai coughed out a bloody mouthful, as Key damped down her pain and began repairs, Hound shunting a trace more energy to speed the process.

“Dammit so far I haven't even hit the bitch! If this keeps up she'll murder us.”

Combat effectiveness impaired 5.23%
Repairs engaged, completion in 4 minutes 37 seconds.

Key supplied the information, as Ashai warily watched Heti. The Combat Primer was suggesting the use of ranged weaponry but that wasn't an option for this challenge fight. It's best advice after that was taken into account was to disengage in face of an opponent who seemed as quick but had all the physical advantages.

“I need to be faster.” Mentally Ashai demanded the speed from Hound and Key and then charged.

****

Heti’s cybernetic reactions let her meet the attack as the human hurtled forwards much faster than before. Surprise flickered through her cold mind as her processing was forced to trade resolution for speed to keep track of the engagement. Having two sets of blades allowed the cyborg to deflect the whirlwind of steel but as the strikes flickered out her guard was being forced wider. Finally the Human's sword was inside her guard and slashed down her torso. Heti ignored the pain stimuli, they meant nothing as her armour deflected the blade, allowing the sharp alloy to peel away a strip of fur before sparking off her. Laughing at the dismayed expression that flashed across Lennox's face, Heti turned it to horror by trapping the blade with her left arm and its blades, before her right came slashing across, the lethally sharp tips ripping across the Human's left bicep in a spray of blood as Lennox's coat and armour failed and the human was forced to give up the sword to get out of range. Heti laughed again evilly as she stalked the human across the den.

“It's a good blade Human, but you'll need more than that to hurt me.” Heti casually threw the Di Kat aside as she moved forward going back on the offensive, easy slashes from her blades forcing the Human backwards across the den.

***d

Ashai cursed herself for getting involved in Shatrtick's schemes as she dodged another swipe, with a rolling evasion, ignoring the pain from her ribs and arm as best she could. Key informed her that her left biceps was almost half severed and would take at least 5 minutes for initial repairs. Ashai savagely muttered mentally that she didn't have 5 minutes. If Heti got close again with those blades Ashai doubted she had 5 seconds. A normal human with those blades or even a Korkari or Togan and she wouldn't have been worried, Hound's armour would have coped easily but with Heti's immense cybernetic strength behind each strike all bets were off. It would be wonderful to just shoot the damned cyborg but the Reiver's challenge fights were melee combat only, and surrounded by armed and ready Reivers Ashai didn't like her chances if she cheated because she was losing. Sooner or later Heti was going to get lucky or smart with her strikes and Ashai would be in more shit.

Heti was getting closer with her strikes and Ashai was running out of room to evade the cyborg's attacks. The Reiver boss was herding her back towards the wall, and kept on manoeuvering to cut off her escape. A desperate plan sparked in her mind as Ashai threw herself sideways again, feeling the momentary tautness in the fabric of her long coat before Heti's blades sliced through it. Urgently she sent her instructions to Hound, feeling the her Warp Core widen in response as Hound readied the charge for her tentacles. Key dampened her Prime's pain receptors as much as feasible and Ashai finished her last evasion roll, slapping her leading palm to the floor with all the augmented strength she possessed, redirecting her motion and throwing herself up before surging forwards, trying to get under Heti's guard. The cyborg had anticipated her movement and was fast enough to land another glancing strike on her, the blades ripping another bloody gash from her back.

Locking her right arm around the Heti's torso, Ashai spun herself to leap and grapple with the Reiver from behind. She had fractions of a second to make this strike, so vulnerable to those lethal blades the cyborg possessed. Grabbing Heti's armoured head from behind, with her wrists pressed against the Korkari exposed muzzle, Ashai triggered the tentacle spikes and the massive electrical charge that Hound had built. The hard tipped spikes sank into Heti’s flesh, boring into her skull, and as the charge erupted Heti shrieked as millions of volts of power ripped though her, cooking her armoured skull and brain, shorting her cybernetic augmentations.

Even in the face of such horrendous energy it took long seconds for Heti to die, her flesh cooking as secondary and tertiary safety and backup systems failed. The charge shorted her motive systems first and the Reiver endured a short but interminable agony, as her body locked up and refused to strike the human female killing her. Finally Heti's core processors failed under the onslaught and the cyborg monster that ruled the Reivers with terror and an iron fist died in a stench of actinic ozone, burned cybernetics, and cooked meat. The spikes retracted and Ashai fell off the burning corpse which toppled forwards. Ashai rolled herself feebly extinguishing the flames that had reached her ruined long coat and just lay there, exhausted, tired beyond belief.

****g

There was silence in the Reiver's den. The gang was too stunned at the conclusion of the savage fight. Most of it had been too fast to see clearly, a welter of sparking blades and the flowing motions of the small Human, mixed with shouts and grunts of pain. No one moved. Whether through fear or respect of anyone who could take down the cyborg didn't matter. Any single one of them could have killed the Human laying on the plascrete floor but no one did. Finally Lennox rolled to her feet, staggering over to her sword before propping herself up with it as she leant against the den wall.

“Anyone else feel the urge to fight me today?”

There were no takers and Ashai nodded in relief as Key directed the energy flooding through her, healing her Prime as rapidly as possible. Ashai stood up straighter as the fatigue drained away and examined the Reivers around the den. They looked shell shocked, although there were some alien expressions she interpreted as relief as well. None seemed hostile to her directly and all were doing their level best to appear non threatening. Good at least she didn't appear to have a second fight to worry about immediately. She examined the Di Kat's blade, happy the alloy had withstood the fight with such a strong being with no more than a couple of minute nicks before sheathing it and with a deep breath moved on to the second part of her plan.

“Heti's dead, and with her gone the Reivers are finished. I killed her to give you a chance to live. I've butchered half of you already and I don't want to finish the rest but if I have to, I will. The Krayt are taking control of the Reiver's old territory. Their squads are now much more heavily armed than before and they're waiting to come and kill the lot of you. You can either drop your weapons and surrender, or fight and die. Those who surrender will be allowed to leave unarmed and unharmed, or given the opportunity to join the Krayt if you want. Given there are a lot of people looking to settle scores with the Reivers I think you should join the Krayt but the choice is up to you. You have five minutes to think it over, then you need to walk out there. Either you walk away or join the Krayt. Anyone who shows a weapon outside will be shot down with no warning. Start thinking.”

There was a moment of silence before a few voices began talking urgently amongst themselves. Soon the den was a hubbub of noise and conversation as the Reivers argued amongst themselves. Ashai stood to the side and watched and waited, alert to the possibility of an attack but none materialised. With her declaration that the Reivers were finished, it seemed the group dynamic had decided she was too big a threat to face and therefore best ignored. Less than four minutes after she finished speaking the first Reiver carefully put his combat maul on the plascrete floor and then walked to the tunnel and out of sight. The Reivers listened as his exit was met outside by shouts to walk out unarmed. When there was no weapons fire the single Reiver became a trickle, and then a general exodus as weapons were discarded. The demoralised gang was beaten and they knew it, no point in being killed to prove a point. As the group shrank Ashai found the Lieutenant that Heti had reacted to earlier and called the Korkari male over.

“What's your name?”

“Juver.” The Korkari was calm and more curious than fearful. “What you want Lennox?”

“Show me Heti's stash.”

The Korkari paused for a second then shrugged, and walked across the den to where Heti had been lounging, Ashai following. Behind a flimsy screen there was a pile of bedding with the face down naked figure of a heavily bound and gagged male Korcari on it. The young male was bleeding slowly from several superficial wounds, with many more scabbed over amidst matted fur. At Ashai's shocked expression the Lieutenant grunted a bitter laugh and then pointed at the security casket lying under a pile of clothing and weapons.

“Free him Juver, and get him patched up and dressed, and then kick him out with the rest.”

“He's not a Reiver human, Heti had that one picked up to play with. She's had him most of this season.”

Ashai shuddered in horror. “Maker. Gods wept, set the poor bastard free and give him some creds to get him on his feet, what the fuck did she do to him, his horns look like he's 80.”

“Heti liked pain Lennox. The creds are in the secure casket but I know the code. You'll need her print though, for that and the bonds.”

“Fucking hell. Go and get her print Juvar, cut the Maker damned bitch's hand off and then free him.”

The former Lieutenant nodded and shortly returned with the Heti's augmented hand. With surprisingly gentle movements Juvar moved the now whimpering younger male and found the contact plate for the bonds. Pressing Heti's thumb to it and a hidden catch made the restraint system release its victim. The young male began to struggle weakly as the restraints loosened and quickly Juvar rolled him on his side so he could see that Heti wasn't present.

“Easy youngling, you're free now.” He continued muttering soothing words to the younger Korkari as he released the gag. The male lay there, dazed and confused as Ashai watched in horrified fascination. She could see there was still a trace of sanity in the tortured Korkari's gaze but not much. Shuddering again she took the severed hand and activated the secure casket, getting Juvar to give her the codes. The 50cm casket held a pile of cred sticks and a bag of uncut gems. Ashai was surprised to find the cred sticks were unsecured. Juvar noticed her confusion and explained Heti never felt the need when there was no access without her authority, which no one lived to challenge.
Nodding her understanding Ashai grabbed two mid value sticks and both were full with 10k. 20000 creds from two sticks and there were another fifteen of varying denominations including an unlimited stick.

“Here Juver give him those, and this one's yours. Thanks for your help, now get yourself out of here please.”

Juver half carried the former slave out into the main den that was now almost totally deserted and with a final wave headed for the tunnel. Ashai woefully examined her long coat wondering whether it would be repairable before deciding that she needed its pockets anyway. After checking the pockets were whole she pulled the long coat back on, stashed the cred sticks and gems before retrieving her detonators, disarming them before walking slowly for the secondary exit tunnel.

***h

Gantol had moved from the warehouse crime scene to Sec Bur's main station in the Port District. He would have preferred to be in the Transport Depot closer to the landing pads, but the facilities there hadn't been repaired yet so he was having to take command from much further away than he liked. He was sure Lennox was somewhere in the Port's massive facilities, and he was sure the Krayt knew where. He had no proof, but his instincts told him that Shatrtick had to know, so he had applied some pressure and moved while he waited to see what developed next. Gantol knew something was happening, he could just feel it, but the question was what?

Sergeant Katx was prowling around in the cavernous Transfer Depot, steadily working his way down through the levels, looking for some sign that Lennox had been around. So far all he had come across was teams of technicians replacing power cabling and datalines, from the sabotage that Gantol had insisted was down to Lennox somehow, or to her accomplices. Katx thought the idea that Lennox had collaborators assisting her on Yasm had the Intelligencia officer more worried than anything else. Gantol was smelling a conspiracy and was demanding results from his Intelligencia teams and Katx's Sec Bur colleagues. Katx had finally made it down to the Transfer Depot's lowest basement floor, and was working on identifying the local gangers when he spotted the trucks coming out the access tunnel from the concourse and heading into the Landing Pad Access.

Something was odd about those trucks, and he began looking around for transport while his mind turned the problem over. Quickly he spotted an electric buggy the maintenance teams used and striding over showed the poor tech his ID, then relieved him of the control key. Yanking the buggy around Katx set off after the trucks, while he got on the comm.

“Officer Gantol, I might have something, I'm following two trucks that have exited the concourse access tunnel and are headed for the landing pads. Something’s not right.”

Gantol listened and looked at the Station Watch Officer who looked bemused.

“What?”

The Watch Officer started and dipped his head in apology. “Apologies Officer Gantol. It's just that no one uses trucks to ferry goods down the tunnel since the Reivers took control at the other end, and they're just bandits they don't bother moving cargo.”

Gantol nodded thoughtfully as his pulse sped a little. The Krayt controlled the smuggling, and the Reivers the protection rackets in the Concourse. Blue Hand ran the drugs, prostitution and gambling.

What would throwing Lennox into the mix have done? Gantol mused. The human needs a way off Yasm, which Shatrtick can supply. What would Shatrtick want enough that he would risk deceiving me? What could Lennox offer him? The answer was stunningly simple he realised. Lennox offered violence. Her covert status was blown anyway and she needed the Krayts's smuggling connections to escape Yasm. In exchange she could what? Slaughter the Cobalts? That made no sense, Shatrtick would ignore the Cobalts as the scum they were. Could Lennox have decided to go after them for their attack on her? It seemed unlikely but it was even more unlikely that there were two killers around that would produce the scene of carnage in the warehouse, so most likely that was Lennox and it was personal for some reason. With that level of violence temporarily under his control what would Shatrtick do? Control....it was about control.

“Katx, how much do you know about the Port gangs?”

“Not much Sir, just the basics, not my district.”

“Hmmm okay keep following the trucks, I'll be back to you soon.” Gantol clicked off the comm and turned to the Watch Officer. “How are things between the gangs in the Port?”

“It's a stalemate most of the time. Blue Hand have the Red zone, Krayt the Depot and Pads, and the Reivers have the Concourse. Blue Hand and the Krayt aren't allies but they don't squabble as much. They've more in common with each other than the Reivers. The Reivers had been eating into Krayt territory as they got stronger. More thugs, better weapons and arms, and they like using them. I think it's stable at the moment.”

Gantol nodded as his understanding came together. “Anything in the last few days? Other than Lennox.”

“Well it sounded like a firefight in the access tunnel before Lennox arrived but we figured the Reivers ambushed some unlucky bastard. No way of telling with the surveillance system in the tunnel out, and I didn't have the resources in the Depot to go check, even before that human trash slaughtered Beta Squad.” The Watch officer finished bitterly, his set stance daring Gantol to pass judgement.

Gantol nodded his understanding, “Well, we have the resources now Watch Officer. I think we should go check on the Reivers.”

Gantol turned away, switching comm channels and ordered heavily armed Intelligencia squads into the Depot from where they waited above ground. Their orders were to secure the Depot and tunnel entrances to the Landing Pads and Concourse, No one in or Out, and additional squads were tasked to proceed along the tunnel to the Concourse to recon in strength the Reivers territory. The Sec Bur Stations ready and reserve Squads were deployed to the Concourse Lower levels to ensure there were no ready escape routes into the Concourse proper.

The Watch Officer obeyed his orders while wondering how big the casualty list was going to be. His squads had always been mauled when they probed the Reiver's positions. Gantol's response to his concern was dismissive. “I think, no I'm sure, that this time they won't have any problem Watch Officer.”

His orders given, Gantol checked on Sergeant Katz. The Sergeant had parked his requisitioned buggy just short of Krayt territory, and been able to observe the two trucks being emptied further up the tunnel. Expecting boxes of cargo he was surprised when Korkari and other species climbed out and were escorted into a maintenance access by waiting Krayt troopers while the two trucks turned and headed back down the tunnel, past him and into the Transfer Depot. Gantol told him to hold his position and watch for more Krayt activity while explaining his theory and the orders he'd given. It would take a few minutes to get everyone in position but soon the Transport Depot would be locked up tighter than Intelligencia's cells.

The Krayt trucks moved swiftly towards the Reiver's den. Too fast in fact, as the first Intelligencia Squads arrived on the Depot's lowest level two minutes behind them and immediately secured the facility and tunnel entrances. The Krayt's drivers, escorts and their new prisoners or recruits were trapped.

***d

Shatrtick cursed as the news of Intelligencia squads taking control in the Transfer Depot rapidly fed back to his command centre. The situation could get worse but not much. Half of the surviving Reivers were back in his base, disarmed and under guard until he could evaluate them. The other half were still waiting to be picked up and were now behind the Intelligencia forces along with his men. There were reports from the Concourse of Sec Bur troops heading into the lower levels and more reports of at least 2 Intelligencia squads heading along the tunnel towards the Concourse. He had immediately instructed the trapped Krayt not to resist, that he would get them released as soon as possible.

His gamble had been a stunning success, Heti was dead and the Reivers were effectively no more, but with Gantol's interference, it might be for nothing. He was losing his precious window of opportunity to secure the Concourse before the Blue Hand discovered his power play and the vacuum in the district's power structure. Last but not least, he didn't know where Lennox was and he didn't know what Gantol would do next. Right now Shatrtick reflected he wished he didn't have Lennox's juvenile under his care. He was too exposed, both to Gantol, and to the murderous human, although at least she hadn't been paid yet. Giving instructions for a warning to be commed to Lennox, Shatrtick headed to his office to wait for Gantol's next move.

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

LOTA

Oh yes, thankyouthankyouthankyou!! I'd thought you had lost interest in the story!

Another exciting chapter...

Beautifully written, beautifully choreographed, and about as perfectly paced as any mortal can manage. Job well done. I hope to see this story continue for quite some time to come.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Well Said...

Great work. Looking forward to finding out how it all works out.

Eric

Well, Thank you...

^^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Oh this is

good! Is Shatrtick going to keep to the deal? Is Grantol going to blow the deal? What about Neti? Is our good Merc LT going to make his recruiting goal after all? Tune in next .... for another exciting episode! :)
hugs
Grover

Interesting Thought, Grover...

Are you suggesting that the trapped Reivers could end up as merc recruits/conscripts? A comment below mentioned that there ought to be a reason the mercs are still in the mix here, and it doesn't seem right now as though they're going to end up with Ashai.

Eric

Ashai

finally ran into an opponent that gave her a real fight. Nicely done, too.

But now there are more problems to deal with. Sec Bur and the Intelligentsia know she's dangerous, but I wonder if they realize just what kind of tiger they have by the tail here.

It was great seeing this one back.

Maggie

Terrific

Everything hinges on Shatrick at this point.

Anyway, the loss of the Reivers would not concern SecBur, that's for sure.

The fight was a near thing, nearer than it ought to be, I think. I believe that there is still room for Ashai to evolve as she has not mastered her powers yet. Considering the fight she has been in, only taking 5 minutes or so to heal is amazing and fortunate.

This is an amazing episode which was well worth waiting for!

I hope things get better for you Ashleigh :)

Kim

Great story. I was getting a

Great story.
I was getting a little worried you had lost interest in the story, or was locked up with a bad case of writer's block.
Really looking forward to reading more.... a LOT more hopefully.

Worth the wait

I don't know how you did it, but this chapter has raised the bar - again

Wonderful story. Now she just needs to connect with the merc's...maybe in part 14.

Thank you for this great story. WOW!

Kathy

Great episode!!

Thanks for this posting. Love it.. There seems a lot of focus on getting Ashai.
It seems she has some plan. Where is she now?

Keep it up.

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Woot!

Yeah! Another chapter!

More please! :)

-- Sleethr

No plan survives execution...

You've captured one of the true facts of life. Plans don't work very well. I can't posibly anticipate how this is going to go. All you can do is equip adequately and be versatile.

Great writing.

Gwendolyn

LOtA chap 13

Wow! another great chapter.

Once Sec Bur check the Reivers and find Heti dead they might do one of two (or more) things.

They might decide, due to the extremely enhanced nature of Heti, that Ashai's Target might have been her and the Cobalts simply "pissed" in Ashai's pond thus resulting in retribution. With the Reivers pretty much out of the picture, they might figure some gang (possibly the Kraits) hired Ashai to eliminate the Reiver leader. Thus allowing her to go away on her own. That message could be passed to her via the Kraits from our "good friend" officer Gantol.

another scenerio .... Gantol and the Sec Bur combination surround Ashai but Gantol opts to go in (brave isn't he?) and discuss things with Ashai in an effort to prevent more bloodshed. He, during their discussion, requires Ashai to spend a period of time (like thirty or forty years) in the employ of the mercs, figuring that forty years with them would make it unlikely that she would return to Yasm to be a problem. No one but Ashai, Key, Hound and the Creche Paladin know that Ashai has an high number of millenia that she will live. She might return to Yasm but it would likely be long after Gantol and the others have turned to bleached bones. She could then make it a condition that Neti accompany her at least to another planet where she might be better protected if not with Ashai herself.

But.... knowing that Ashleigh is such a compelling writer, she probably has a third scenerio already worked out and coming at us like an express train.

I love this story.

Anesidora

Ashai is Back!!

Ashleigh,

I just spent part of Friday and Saturday re-reading this story and hoping you would post a new chapter soon. I was very happy to see the new posting and enjoyed Ashai's continuing adventure. You have certainly painted her into a corner. I'm looking forward to her escape.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Exciting Goodness

terrynaut's picture

Yay! I was very pleased to see another chapter of this story. The action was great as always.

I sniffled a bit when Ashai decided to take over as Neti's momma. Too sweet.

This story has my emotions all over the map. I love it all. Please keep up the good work as you can. I'll be reading ya.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

thankyou

wow another great chapter in this wonderful storyline i can't wait to see what the next chapter brings for Ashai , Thankyou for this story

Fun chapter

Kalkin62's picture

Glad to see more of this story.

I like that you've kept Neti in the story, it adds an interesting dynamic. I think I'd have preferred to see the trust relationship build a little more slowly, but action seems to be the general focus of the story, so I'll let that go. I'd still like to see the relationship explored in more depth in the future though.

I like seeing things from Gantol's point of view. His thoughts and interpretations of what's going on are fun to watch. It's fun to see him figure out some stuff and hit it dead on, and it's also fun to see him getting some of it wrong too.

One thing I'd love to see would be an appendix that gave a detailed physical description of each alien race. Especially the Karcori. I have a lot of trouble building a mental picture of what they look like, and having a easily accessed reference would help me.

And ... you keep dangling Resnij and the human mercs in front of us. Stop teasing us, is Ashai going to end up going with them or not? Personally, I hope she does, but the path to get to them looks fraught with peril.

Great chapter, looking forward to more.

amazing

I think this is an incredible story,edgy that literally has me seating on the edge of my seat.Ashleigh you are very good writer and this is addictive moreso considering it your first. I'm glad you"re back and can't wait for more of Ashai.

I'm thinking, maybe be she'll

I'm thinking, maybe be she'll be able to fake this as a rescue mission. Her being hired to rescue Neti. That would make sense and put the intellingecia at ease. Just let her go and avoid further losses.

Thank you for writing this new chapter of this awesome story,

Beyogi

It was my thoughts exactly.

It was my thoughts exactly. Well, close enough.

My thoughts were that Shatrtick would claim this as giving an excuse for not informing Intelligencia promptly, of Lennox's whereabouts and goals. The way I'd try to spin the tale is somewhat like this:

Ashai Lennox transferred to the colony, someway.

She decided to contact Edgar for directions and suggestions. He, or someone on the ranch, was an informant. She didn't know who would know of the Neti's whereabouts and needed to get a feel for the locale.

The damn raid had her thrown off course, she had to evade the enemies, and to get safe. Hence, she did indeed get lost in the caverns. And if anyone asks what the heck was the power surge it may have been her vessel, damaged and self-destructing due to it taking more time than she needed to get the job done.

She went to Slums to track Neti. After getting directions from the arms dealer - for arranging later transportation and for electronic search by the couple - she was ambushed. And that's where it went more wrong than before.

She left the Slums to get to the next link of information chain, and got the needed information. However she had to send the two away to provide a breathing room for herself.

Ashai then contacted Krayts and accepted a side job in exchange for transportation off planet. She then secured the original goal - Neti - and went off to secure transportation. That's when Sec Bur and Intelligencia caught up with her.

So, any comments?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Very Good

Shatrtick could say this and possibly get away with it. Even allowing Ashai to get away without much fuss. But I don't think this is what is going to happen, not "noisy enough", if you get my drift. All I know it will be spectactactular, Blayze will make sure of it!!!

Loving the Story

Thanks for coming back to it! Can't wait to find out what happens next.

Well worth the wait!

LibraryGeek's picture

I'd been thinking recently that it had been a while since you had posted, but read your blog entry and knew you hadn't given up (yay!).

This remains a most impressive story. For a moment I thought she might pick up a korkari dependent as well, hopefully the youngster will be able to recover his wits on his own.

Thank you for such an awesome story!

Yours,

John Robert Mead

YAY!!!!!!!

THANKYOU!!! YAYAYAYAY!!!! The best fighter in the Galaxy is still in Business! Keep it up eh!

Legacy of the Anari - 13

Wondering when she and her adopted daughter will leave the planet.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank you

I've been eagerly awaiting the next chapter, and it is quite satisfying. :)
Law enforcement really needs to work on their communication skills! They could have saved themselves a lot of hassle by just trying to TALK to Ashai.

Yay! New chapter!

Good to see this story continued. Even though there's not much of a connection between the two besides the fact both are in the sci-fi genre, I can't help but think of Ashai and Neti as Ripley and Newt. It's probably because I'm a giant ALIEN franchise fan. Well, except for Resurrection and the AvP movies; they blew chunks.

I've seen a few people comment on how Ashai might use the killing of Heti as the "reason" she'd be on Yasm. The problem with such an excuse (as with any other similar excuses) is the authorities would immediately wonder why she had been picked up in the boonies, and not simply entered through the spaceport, kill Heti, then return without bothering to go through the slums. Besides, she'd still have to answer for the slaughter of Beta Squad. IMO, killing them was a bad choice; up until then, everyone she'd killed were gangers, people she could reasonably make a self defense case against; it's a bit harder to make a self-defense argument when you've killed a cop.

Personally, I think the mercs are going to play a key role in the future. It's a bit of Chekhov's Gun; why would we keep going back to them if they weren't going to play some role in story? If Shatrtick betrays Ashai, they're probably the best option she has (besides running to the bush and hiding for a few months). It'd be a HUGE risk for them to take her on, but her skills would be something that might easily be worth that risk.

What? The fact that the

What? The fact that the mercs are leaving the planet on the same shuttle as our heroine?

About time

someone picked up on that Tidbit

Legacy of the Anari

Great story! I love how the heroine has progress thru out this tale. Keep it up!

Great as always

Continue--please soon. I get the willies just thinking about what is happening and can't hardly wait for the next installment. All I can say is GREAT STORY...

I just wonder if the Mercinaries will appreciate Ashai, for as much trouble she is bringing to them?

Quite the asset

LibraryGeek's picture

The mercenaries would find her a very handy recruit, given the chance; yes, they've experienced difficulties due to her activities, but she could be quite the asset to them. Integrating her into their structure might be tricky, given her skills vs. experience.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Great Sci-Fi

Kudoes, Ashleigh,
I just sat down and read all thirteen chapters of Legacy of the Anari.
This is a delightful Sci-Fi adventure. A super-hero comes along by accident. Oops!
This should have killed a mere mortal. Instead, Ashai emerges from the long-lost remnants of an ancient civilization to right the wrongs of the past. Surely, she is Nemesis!
And, it appears that you have overcome your writer's block. Further, with all the really great suggestions from other readers, you will have plenty to consider in the future.
Of course, your immediate problem is getting Neti and Ashai out of danger, and off the planet. I look forward to the resolution of that problem, and the beginning of the next phase of the life of the new Anari.

Red MacDonald