The Haunted Room - A TWILIGHT ZONE story

Printer-friendly version

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of the imagination. Next stop: THE TWILIGHT ZONE.
- Rod Serling

The Haunted Room By Anon Allsop

Max Kleebler has inherited a lovely old vacant building from his Uncle. Little does Max realize, the house also comes with its own inhabitants...players in a deadly triangle of love and murder. Enter now...down a sleepy little tree lined lane, where sits the Mooring House, firmly ensconced in the center of...THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

***

I pulled my car up the gravel driveway slowly, the tires crunching and popping the stones aside as I rolled. Coming to a stop, I leaned forward on the steering wheel and craned my neck upward, looking as high as I could see.

"Oh... shit..." I sighed.

Slowly I turned the ignition off and opened the door, "This is really going to be interesting..." I groaned, stepping out onto the gravel. Shielding my eyes from the brilliant sunlight, I looked up toward the old two story that was left to me by my Uncle.

I pushed the door closed and leaned against the car, contemplating the work that would be needed to improve the place enough to sell. "What the heck did I do with that packet from the lawyer?" I complained as I began to glance back through my car window. "Oh, there it is." I said to myself as I walked around the car and reached inside, picking it from the passenger side floor.

I began to sort through the papers until I found the one I was looking for, "This is it... To Be Opened Upon Arrival." I chuckled as I read it. "You'd think it was something important."

I seated myself on the hood and began to read the letter from the lawyer, as relayed through her by my Uncle:

History of the Mooring House.

The house was originally built in 1851 by Elias Montgomery from Addison County. He had fallen on hard times and was compelled to sell it in 1866 to Mr. and Mrs. John McQuien who lived in it until their deaths in 1881 and 1885. The house was then passed to their surviving daughter Rebecca McQuien after her mother passed away in 1885.

I glanced up from the papers at the house, "Built in 1851... damn... you're an old thing!" I sighed and continued my reading.

Rebecca McQuien married and the house finally acquired the name 'Mooring House', her husband Ephraim Mooring moved in around May 1887. They had a son who was tragically killed in 1891 by drowning in the pond on the property when he was three.

I looked up and scanned the horizon, trying to see if the pond remained, I couldn't see one on this side of the property. Determined to see if there was still a pond would be one of my goals this weekend. I made that mental note and then continued to read.

Twin daughters, Caroline and Adrienne were born in 1892. The girls gained sole proprietorship of the property tragically in 1912, when they lost both parents on the ill fated Titanic voyage.

Neither girl married as far as I could tell, but we know that her sister Adrienne lived with Caroline until sometime around 1920. I wasn't able to find out any more about Adrienne, she seemed to have just disappeared from the records. Caroline went gradually insane over time until her death in 1988, from a fall down the foyer staircase. However, from the time Caroline died, the house remained idle until I purchased it in an auction around 2005, but was never able to do anything with it.

If you are reading this, it is because I have left it to you. I know you will appreciate the architecture of this quaint old dwelling as much as I did, but being more adapt with your hands so you can actually do something about bringing it back to its former glory.

Uncle Elmer Kleebler

I smiled and pushed the letter back inside the folder, "Well Uncle, you sure did your research." I dropped the folder back on the seat of my car and pulled out my bag. "Let's check out whether this thing is worth fixing..." I sighed to myself as I began climbing up the steps toward the great porch.

At the top step, I studied the wide bowed door with its ornate carving and gently curved glass. The whole entrance appeared to gently bend out away from the house, with two curved windows were on each side of the door.

Looking down at the flooring I nodded, "So far... so good... I haven't fallen through."

As I approached the majestic door, I continued testing the flooring of the porch, I didn't relish the idea of falling through and possibly injuring myself so far from town. I pulled the key from my pocket and inserted it into the dull brass lock, the working of the mechanism echoed under the porch overhang.

I pushed the door aside slowly, and stepped through, the room before me was like stepping into a museum. Two mirror-like stairs wound from each side of the foyer toward the floor above, only to connect again by a grand balcony on the second floor. I stepped across the marble tile and fingered a three leg table covered in thick dust, centered below a wide oval mirror.

I moved around the room inspecting the deep cherry woodwork, the trim was exceptional and still held a soft shine of a bygone era. I stood at one of the inside windows curved like the door, another matching window was positioned directly opposite. I touched the ancient glass now distorted, creating misshapen images of the property beyond.

Here or there were small chunks of plaster that had fallen from the wall at some point in time, dust lay thick and heavy on everything. "It does have its possibilities." I thought aloud as I began to move into an adjacent room also in the same state of disrepair. Looming before me was a huge room, silk tapestry still hanging upon the walls. I entered slowly, testing the stability of the floor.

I could only see two items of furniture in the room, a huge table that looked as it were almost twenty feet long, and a single wooden chair. The chair missing a leg was lying on the floor next to the great table. Both covered in a thick layer of dust.

Across the room was a long fireplace, the mantle seemed to be made of the same Red Cherry, matching that of the trim. I moved slowly, still testing the inlaid flooring with each step that I took. At the mantle, I examined the wood closer, its wonderful wood grain was blackened by many fires built over time, with some cleaning it could be brought back to its original beauty. I walked back out of the room and across the foyer to the doorway on the other side; there I found what looked to be a den or library. Tall impressive cabinets were built right into the wall, again made of the dark Cherry wood. The room was empty of anything valuable, only dust and a few broken pieces of plaster remained.

In all, I found seven more rooms like this on the first floor, every one empty of its contents and strewn with both dust and broken plaster. I worked my way back around to the twin staircases where gradually, I touched the banister, well worn with age. I kept my steps close to the side I was on, fear of a weakened center as I ascended the stairs.

Once on the second level I looked back down the stairs, each step marked with my shoe print in the thick dust. Glancing toward the ceiling I studied a crystal chandelier, the luster of the cut glass dimmed under the weight of dust and cobwebs.

"Okay Uncle... where to next?" I sighed, talking to my deceased uncle. I began to move down the hall to my right, examining the rooms that were unlocked. Only one was found to be locked, to enter there, I would need a key. I continued on, mentally reminding myself to return to the locked room when my initial examination was finished.

On and on I walked. Here... was possibly a maid's quarters, there... a butler's. Still another room appeared to be some type of guest bedroom, its contents long gone and empty. Further and further down the dimly lit hall I moved, until I arrived at a long narrow stairway leading down into what I assumed was the kitchen or laundry. At the bottom of the steps I found two rooms, as I suspected, the first was the laundry. A quick examination in the dark dungeon like room, revealed nothing more than a single long table where they may have folded their clothing. Opposite this room was another brighter room, to this I walked into.

A few empty jars lined an old shelf; empty spice tins lay scattered in the dust. The tracks, where a small rodent scurried across the floor were visible in the dust. On a wide stove I saw an old copper pot laying on its side, a large spider making the distance between the handle and the stove back its home. I shuddered and quickly turned back up the steps, returning to the safety of the second floor.

At the top of the steps I turned toward my right, continuing down the hall. I found a small room that at some point was converted into a bathroom, a heavy claw foot tub sat like a sentinel... watching over a room long unused. I pushed open a cabinet in the room, suddenly a bottle fell into the pedestal sink sending shards of glass scattering from the impact. I stepped back quickly to avoid being cut and watched them slide across the polished wood floor until they came to a stop.

"Okay... that was just too damn exciting..." I blew out slowly, trying to control my breathing and racing heart.

Leaving the bathroom, I continued down the hall checking the empty rooms until I found my way back to the head of the second stairs. I glanced back toward the steps, a second set of prints were visible in the dust next to mine. I felt the short hairs on my neck rise.

"Okay... who's my visitor?" I looked back down the hall where I had first gone down since I had passed no one down the last. I frowned and looked back to the stairs, figuring on trying to get an idea on whether my visitor was large or small, male or female.

At the rail that framed the balcony I again peered over the edge at the steps, "...oh shit..." I gasped. Now there was only one set of steps coming up... mine... the other one was gone. I walked back to the top of the stairs and examined again, only my steps were visible in the disturbed dust. I rolled my eyes at my blunder, sighing to myself, "Dumb ass... what the hell you trying to do? Scare yourself to death?" I shrugged and chalked it up to just seeing things and drummed my fingers against the dark Cherry handrail.

I glanced down toward the room that had been locked, fingering the key that unlocked the big outside door. Again, I wondered if the key I held would open that door. Gradually, almost hesitatingly, I approached the door as if I were sneaking up on a wild animal. Examining the key, I determined it was the same type that may have locked this door... I pushed it into the lock and turned.

After a hard click, the door swung open... I poked my head inside and whistled, "Jackpot!" I shouted. This room, and only this room, still remained much as it did back in the days of Caroline. Still in the hall, I lowered my bag to the floor, thankful to be finally rid of it and being able to rest my sore shoulder. Quietly, I stepped inside and began to glance about the eerily quiet room, probably the only person to do so in dozens of years. "Everything... everything's here." I chuckled as I fingered the headboard of the antique high bed, gently pushing the mattress that was still upon the old bed. "Springs seem fine..." I mused.

In the corner was a tall straight back chair, next to that was a dresser with a beveled glass mirror. I crossed the room and pulled open one drawer, decaying scraps of tiny silk hankies were all folded and laying as they had been for years and years.

I looked back to the door, "Now... why were you locked?" I frowned and tapped the key nervously in my other palm. "...and... why didn't they empty this room when they took everything else away?" I tapped my chin in deep thought, "Just who's bedroom did you belong to... Caroline or Adrienne?" I was pretty sure that it was a female's room, the contents that remained spoke volumes to that fact. It was an interesting puzzle, one that I may never know the answer to.

Again I opened up another dresser drawer, only a few remnants of clothing remained... all eaten by moths and other types of pests. I touched one cloth, only to have it fragment in my hand and crumble into the bottom of the drawer. "How long has this been here?" I scratched my head using the key's teeth.

As I wondered, I happened to glance at an old photo hanging out from the wall suspended on a thin rusty wire. I leaned in closer to get a better look at the faded images within the frame, there were two very pretty light haired girls sitting on a long porch swing. They smiled before the camera. I recognized the area of the photo, it was taken just outside near the door where I entered. By guesstimate, I figured that it was taken around 1910.

I moved to another photo suspended on the other wall, it too was faded from exposure to the sun. I could see a young woman, exceptionally beautiful standing near a window. I quickly looked around the room, the window was there beside me. Behind her on the wall, was a dark shape... almost as a shadow of maybe the photographer or someone in the room. Its shape seemed male. Suddenly the hairs rose on my neck, I felt a chill race down my spine.

I shrugged it off and looked closer at the image, pulling it from the wall. Again the chill raced along my spine, causing me to shudder. She didn't seem to be unhappy; she was eying the camera in a sort of lustful way... almost flirting with someone either taking the picture or behind the photographer. Again the Goosebumps rose along my arms, I gently hung the picture back on the rusty square nail. I looked through the distorted window outside, this high vantage gave me an exceptional look at the surrounding property. From here I could see the ill fated pond that was the cause of the young boy's death.

I turned back into the room and looked at the bed, pulling back the covers I was a bit amazed at its condition. Although dusty, it still was in remarkable shape... nothing like the contents of the dresser.

One by one I went through the covers, the first one seemed to explode into dust as I shook them. The second and third only seemed to have been slightly weakened. I pulled back the second blanket and let it fall to the floor at the foot of the bed. The third blanket was fairly complete, almost useable if it weren't for the dust. This one I gathered in my arms and began to vigorously shake out, coughing as I did.

I felt around on the bed, surprisingly intact and relatively clean. I tossed the blanket on the end and sat down on the surprisingly soft bed. "This should work nicely..." I thought as I stretched out. Slowly I rolled to my side and sat up, swung my feet to the floor and headed into the hall where I laid my bag.

I picked it up and tossed it in the room where it landed on the bed, turning I headed down the hall where I bounded down the steps like some little kid. Through the beautiful curved door and outside I strolled, fishing my keys from deep inside my pants pocket.

I hummed my way to the car and unlocked the trunk so I could get out my gas lantern and Louis L'Amour western book. I grabbed the handle of my little cooler that contained my supper, and a few drinks. I sat it on the gravel so I could close the trunk, a slight shiver rolled across my back...

I picked up the cooler, and had the strangest feeling of being watched. I looked back over my shoulder at the lane, then up toward the house. For the briefest of moments I thought I saw the face of a beautiful young woman as she looked down from an upstairs window. Upon second glance, I saw the reflection of the swaying trees as they bent under the gentle breeze. "Stupid ass..." I chuckled to myself.

I stopped at the door of the car and flipped the seat forward to pull out my sleeping bag and pillow. Under each arm, I carried these cumbersome items up to the room. As I approached the door to the bedroom I noticed it was closed, slowly I lowered my items to the floor. My hand shot to the knob and was surprised to again find it locked. I frowned, pushing my hand into my pocket for the key. I unlocked it, and using my foot, pushed the items from the hall into the room.

I slid the cooler next to the dresser and tossed the pillow and sleeping bag on the bed over my shoulder. Sitting the gas lantern on the little nightstand that was next to the bed I dropped my book on the pillow. There I hesitated, a slow rolling chill crept up my back and stopped at my neck. Before me was the bed, only now... it had been made. I knitted my brows, trying to recall if I had done this before I went down to the car. "What the heck is going on..." I said, scratching my head.

I began looking for my overnight bag, I found it neatly folded and laying on the seat of the little chair in the corner. I raised a trembling hand to my mouth, "Okay... so... so where's the clothes that were inside?" My voice quivered from the strangeness of my situation. I looked at a dresser drawer that was slightly ajar, reaching out, I slowly pulled it open. There inside, were all my belongings. "Oh... that's just too freaky for my taste..."

I swallowed hard and turned back toward the bed, "...how the hell?" I gasped, the words sounding like steam from an old radiator. My pillow was lying at the head of the bed; the sleeping bag had been unrolled and was neatly stretched out over the blankets. I took a deep breath, "Okay... spook, I won't be chased out of here... so you can just quit your damn funny business, right now." I bit my lip, hoping that nothing would answer my challenge. All was quiet.

I contemplated bolting for my car, but I didn't want to show this poltergeist the fear that was collecting in my heart. I slowly strolled back into the hallway and toward the steps, easing my way down them and out on the porch. As I started down the outside steps, I again had a feeling of being watched, I could almost feel peering eyes coming from the bedroom window.

I made it like I was looking around and made a quick grab for the door of the car, only to find it locked... my keys lying inside, on the seat. "SHIT!!" I cursed.

I heard a giggle, it sounded far off as if carried on a breeze. I turned and stared at the window, only the reflection of the tree was looking down at me. I glanced back into the car, disgusted with my predicament. "How the hell could I leave them in there? I was sure I stuffed them back in my pocket after emptying the trunk... damn." I slapped the roof of the car, "How could I be so stupid!" I felt my pocket, still not believing what I was seeing. The only key in my pocket was the one for the house. "Shit... shit... SHIT!" I growled in frustration.

A great shadow fell across the land, sweeping the sunlight from the yard. I looked up at the sky, as great billowing clouds came rolling in, signaling an oncoming storm. "That's just freaking great..." I pounded the hood of my car in anger, a low rumble of thunder rolled to my ears. I looked across the open meadow toward the direction the storm was coming from, a thick veil of haze signaled the rapidly approaching rain.

I began heading back toward the safety of the porch as the deluge began in earnest, great watery projectiles stung my face and neck as I started running up the steps.

A loud clap of thunder and brilliant flash of lightning split the sky, sending me scurrying into the dry house. I stood at the window and frowned at the rain as it fell almost sideways. I sighed, my breath causing a fog to form against the glass in the door, "Just great... just freaking great..."

Now I was soaked to the bone, my hair dripping from being suddenly caught in that torrent. I looked back up the stairs to the bedroom; I knew that I had dry clothes up there. I shrugged and turned back up the steps, I wasn't really afraid, because whatever was in that room hadn't tried to harm me yet... but I didn't want to take that chance... if I could help it.

I stopped on the top step; the door was open like I had left it. I slowly approached the doorway, looking around the corner I peeked inside. Nothing seemed any different from when I left. I stepped inside the room and closed the door quietly behind me, "Yeah... as if that's going to help." I mumbled almost causing me to laugh. I looked at the window, the bright shards of lightning knifed across the blackened sky, splitting the dark with hot flashes of brilliant light. I moved my arm over the bed as if trying to discover any hidden ghost that may be sitting there. I chuckled at my own paranoia, and threw my hand up in a waive of amusement. "Now I'm acting like a nut..." I kicked my soaked shoes from my feet and began unbuttoning my wet shirt, tossing it in the corner on the little chair. Soon followed by my dripping jeans and soaked underwear. I frowned and slowly opened the drawer, pulling out my dry clothes and setting them on the bed. I headed to the gas lantern and fished a small lighter from my discarded jean pocket, lighting the lantern I carried it back to the antique nightstand where I sat it down and pulled on my dry underwear.

I bent over the lantern and adjusted the glowing bulb to its brightest level, once satisfied; I laid my book next to the lantern and walked over to my cooler. Pulling out a sandwich and a package of cookies I carried it back to the bed and flopped down, propping my feet up on the end. I opened my cola, took a drink, and sat it back on the stand next to my western. My glance carried my eyes to the door; I rolled off the bed and locked it. I laughed again and sat back on the bed; I read a little and finished my sandwich. Strangely comforted by the simple effort of locking myself in a room.

Picking up a cookie I stuffed it into my mouth, then took another swig of the cola to wash the crumbs down. I held a cookie out and laughed, "I'd offer you one spook, but I doubt you could eat it..." My shadow being the only other occupant of the room... that I could see.

After an uneventful hour of reading, I had finished my package of cookies and was still nursing my cola. I had just taken another drink when as I was setting it back, in mid swallow I noticed a folded cloth lying where I had been sitting the can. I swallowed as I let the can rest on the cloth. "Okay... I see... you're a tidy poltergeist." I brushed the crumbs off my chest and tossed the wrapper back in the cooler. A slow rumble of thunder rolled, as if saying that it wasn't through storming yet. I watched the ground outside for a moment; the bright flashes of lightning lit the ground below with each little blast. Afraid of seeing some walking corpse crossing the lawn like an old "Twilight Zone" episode, I turned my back to the window. Still unsure whether sleeping here was a wise idea, but how else would I have known if the house would be worth fixing unless I came out for a two day visit?

I scratched my head and walked back toward the bed, picking up my book I began to read until my eyes started to feel heavy. I glanced at my watch, "7:35 PM" I sighed... outside it looked much later than that with the storm still grumbling on and on. I closed my eyes and felt myself drifting off to sleep, the thunder soothing me like a baby being sung to by its mother. Deeper and deeper I felt myself fall... until sleep finally claimed me.

My mind was drifting in a restful slumber, floating along on a cloud of dreams. "Wake up sleepy head..." the whisper brought my eyes open with a start. I bolted upright and quickly scanned the room. Nothing was amiss. I wiped the sweat from my brow, desperately wanting to open a window I glanced to the outside. A bright flash warned me that outside, the storm still raged. Water streaked down the window from the heavy driving rain. Using my hand, I wiped the sweat from my upper lip and took a drink of my now flat cola. "...Yuck... that's bad."

I figured since I was now wide awake, I would read some more. I glanced toward my gas lantern, "Did I turn the lantern that low..." I gave the knob a slight twist, the glow brightened up the room. Glancing at my watch I saw that I had slept about three hours, it was going on 11:00 PM. I found my place and began reading again, drawn into the story further and further along I was pulled by the author.

I felt something touch my cheek, again my eyes opened with surprise. Thinking it was a spider, I moved my hand as to flip it off and away from my face. I sat up and glanced around, realizing that I had again fallen asleep. I looked down at the bed where my book had lain and couldn't find it; I peered over the edge of the bed thinking that it may have fallen on the floor. "Where the heck is that book?"

I sat up and looked back toward the lantern; there next to it was my book. The page marked with my braided book mark. I frowned, trying to recall if I had placed it there before falling asleep. Not coming up with anything, I shrugged and flipped aside the covers. I stretched out in the cool comfort of the bed and looked toward the lantern, "Had I turned the glow back again?" I shook my head and shrugged, after a quick glance at my watch reached over and turned it all the way down without actually turning it off. It was 11:37 PM. I fluffed the pillow under my head and settled in, again falling quickly asleep.

I had grown so cold during the night it woke me up, I slowly opened my eyes enough to see my watch... 12:54 AM. It was so bad that I could see my breath, unusual since it was early summer. I snuggled down into the covers, pulling them up around my ears and fell back to sleep.

Sometime later, while sleeping, my ears caught the steady breathing of someone other than me in the room. I opened my eyes, slowly raising my head and looking around... other than me, the room was vacant. I started to reach for the lamp; a strange faint blue aura was on my arm. Holding my hand close to my face I could see the bluish haze glowing lightly inside my hand and arm. Quickly I pulled the other from under the cover; it too had the faint blue aura. "What the..." I stopped, there were two distinct voices coming from my mouth. One of my own, the other lighter, higher, soft and seemingly younger.

I sat upright, the covers falling down around my waist. It was strange to see, almost horrifying in fact, I could see my own rising and falling chest... but somehow, the aura was holding the shape of two very pronounced breasts. I shot from the bed and landed on the floor, scrambling against the wall in fear. The aura was not on the bed anymore. I looked down at my body, the faint blue aura was brighter... a young female's form seemingly superimposed upon my own. It was following me.

"My God..." Our two voices spoke in unison. My hand shot to my mouth, her glowing image followed with mirror-like precision. I hazarded another look down; the ghostly aura was wearing some type of gown. Through the image I could see my own naked legs under her transparent image. I felt my knees weaken as I approached the mirror, trembling in fear.

Our hands reached for the dresser at exactly the same time, her hazy glow reflecting against the mirror. We both stepped into the reflection, her reflection and mine as one. I looked down at her, the ghostly aura moving in unison. Her round bosom, heaving in time with my own. Slowly my hand moved toward my mouth, the glow lighting our faces. Behind me a face slowly appeared, starting with a faint haze, then forming clearer and clearer into the same type of blue aura.

I spun quickly, facing the apparition... a muffled cry stuck in my throat. I fell against the dresser, the mirror rocking from the collision. I scrambled to my feet, the glowing passenger doing likewise, her silvery hair swinging the aura past my face as the other poltergeist began to form before my astonished eyes.

I dove for the door, our hands matched in time like some synchronized dancers. The aura and I grasped the knob and twisted; I pulled and tugged at the handle which refused to budge. It was then that I realized that I had locked the door. I saw the key laying on the stand, and threw myself toward it; the little female ghost and I grasped the key and bounded across the bed.

The other spirit was almost completely materialized before my eyes; he was tall and ruggedly handsome. I watched as he slowly floated toward the bed, I moved keeping it between us. Slowly he began to move in my direction, I slid around the foot of the bed. The small ghostly hands holding the post along with my own, he began to move toward me, a smile playing on his transparent lips.

I spun and made a dash for the window, my fingers fumbling at the ancient lock. Behind me I could see the male apparition moving closer and closer in the mirror. The lock wouldn't budge, I slammed my hands against the glass intending to break it and throw myself to the ground below. It wasn't that far, and I have jumped from a second story window before.

I glanced into the mirror, he was right behind me as I continued to slap at the glass. The feminine aura growing brighter and brighter, over my own shape. A great icy chill fell across my body as the large ghost touched my shoulder. I tried to dodge and ended up before the mirror, the young ghost form I had with me closed her eyes and smiled lustfully. I cringed and shook as a large transparent hand slowly encircled my waist, I could feel his cool breath near my neck.

I tried to scream, only an echoing moan escaped, my voice shadowing her own. Slowly the male ghost's hands began to stroke upwards, I could see her throwing her head back, somehow dragging my own in her pleasure. The male's hand finally came to rest on her breast, his kisses danced like snow upon my neck. Strange as it may seem, I could feel his touch upon her body. Slowly she raised her hands up behind her to place one on his neck, forcing his lips into her even more. I tried to stop my movement, but somehow... now she had control... my hands now were following her motions.

His hands gently caressed upward onto her shoulders, his cool kisses still dancing upon my warm skin. I shuddered, she moaned as he began to lower her thin straps down. His hazy blue aura traced her side, stroking the outside contour of her breast. I could almost feel her gown fall to the floor, in the mirror her breasts swung free... glowing against my flat chest.

His ghostly hand slid down the length of my arm, toward her slender fingers. I could feel him gently urging her to relax her grip from the dresser. I gripped tighter as he forced my hand away, pulling it gradually behind our backs. I couldn't tell whether I was in control or she... or even him for that matter.

I felt something touch the back of my thigh, I looked down, my female aura's hair swinging into the way. Again something touched me, I tried to pull away but the feminine spirit would have none of my efforts. As if an ice cube was suddenly shaped like a hand, such was the coolness that fell on each of my sides. The male ghost began to slowly force me forward over the dresser. The fear in my reflection came nowhere near matching the arousal of the girl's expression. I opened my mouth to scream, her erotic moan was all that I heard... gone was our dual voice.

As he bent our bodies over I glanced at the floor, my legs spread wide... I was naked. His bluish, transparent hands gently gripped my hips; his touch was more loving than harmful. I tried to pull away but the girlish ghost wouldn't release her control over my body. Slowly he pressed his icy muscle into an opening that I didn't have. A slight tingle swelled upward from my crotch, a feeling strange and alien. Her feminine moan rolled from my mouth like a sigh, he began to push into me with a steady rocking rhythm.

I could feel his hips through her ghostly hands; she was pulling him into herself with each thrust of his aura. The electricity intensified as the two apparitions coupled, I being the only witness to this strange occurrence. A helpless rider in this strange, erotic haunting.

His body twitched and slowly jettisoned the contents of his unseen penis into my body, my feminine parasite seemed to relish in the act. She moaned louder, not a moan like you would expect from a ghost... but rather the moan of a woman who enjoyed what her lover was doing. As his shaft lost its hardness, she allowed me to pull away from him. Slowly she and I turned back toward him as he gently bent down, his icy kiss tenderly touching my own. I tried to recoil but his hand had snaked up behind my head, I doubted if she would have let me anyway as her hands worked up around his neck. Between us her ghostly breasts were pressed, I could feel both of her nipples harden with his kisses.

His hand slowly slid down my naked flesh, an icy tendril stroking its way toward my bottom. I felt him gently raise me up from the floor, lifting me higher... our kiss unbroken. Higher I rose until my legs gently locked around his waist. In the mirror, by body floated, being carried by a glowing brilliant blue aura. The spirit of the female enjoying her lover's nearness, she laid our head on his shoulder. My astonished eyes watched me float away from the mirror, carried back toward the bed, by her partners glowing form.

Gently he laid us both on the bed where his transparent hand snuffed out my gas lantern, bathing us in complete darkness. Only their glowing blue auras casting a faint light around the room. His kisses fell softly on my neck, icy and lustful with a gentle touch. Even though he couldn't weigh anything, I could feel him lying upon my stomach, then gradually move lower so he could kiss his lovers breasts. She arched her back, forcing my chest closer to his icy kiss. Her gratified moan, echoing against the wall of the room as his cool kisses moved further down our body.

Even though his kisses were falling upon the iridescent blue spirit that had claimed my form, I could feel them dance past my navel and gently approach my nether region. I felt my eyes being drawn downward, to where my softened shaft lay motionless... "What has she done to me..." I wondered, tears rolling from the corners of my eyes. The male apparition gently began pressing his face into the hair between my thighs, I moved... no, she moved my thighs wider allowing him greater access. I shuddered as his icy tongue began to touch me in a most sensitive place. I felt an erotic gasp pass from my throat. He continued on burying his face between my legs until I could feel a lustful energy building from deep inside of me. The feeling slowly forced outward until I screamed, not with the voice I was used to... but with a voice of a woman deep into the throes of passion.

A feeling of need washed over my body, I could feel her pull the man from between our legs. She wanted him up where he could penetrate her; she was ready for a coupling that only a man and woman could partake in. I tried in earnest to pull myself away from their sexual passion; it was as though she wanted me along for the ride... a ride that I won't soon forget. Slowly the male moved up toward my... her breasts where he began to suckle them. I watched in horror as the glowing blue orbs on my chest swelled and hardened with his stimulation. Between my thighs I could feel his stiffening transparent muscle began to gently rise, under their own volition, they slowly spread to accept him.

I tried to fight her spirit, wanting her out of my body, suddenly more afraid than ever at what she was about to have me do. I felt my hands raise, she slowly pressed against his wide chest, my hand cool from the contact. He rolled over onto his back, his rising member pointing to the ceiling. I could feel her smiling as she moved down toward his hips and gently took our hands and touched his throbbing icy shaft. I closed my eyes; afraid of the ride that awaited me... she bent down over him. I felt my mouth part; a shudder ran through my entire body.

Slowly she kissed his glowing tip using my mouth; she began to perform an oral ministration on her ghostly lover. I fought for control as she began to straddle his thick leg with her knees, positioning herself for only God knows what. I felt my hand move toward my face, brushing aside her glowing, cascading locks from the way. Her head and mine continued to bob over the pulsing blue image of her lover, his hands holding her... our... face from backing away. He tensed under us; suddenly my mouth was filled with an icy crystallized mixture. I gagged and coughed, finally able to momentarily control my own body. I felt inside my mouth, the icy contents melted into nothing... the feeling was still there though as she swallowed using my throat.

Now the male began to smile, for his feminine love began crawling up his body where she straddled his waist. Each of my thighs were alongside his glowing form, as she slowly began settling down on him. I could feel him enter me, his wide icy shaft pressing into an area that I knew I didn't have, nor something God had never intended on my body. Again his hips and mine moved in unison, a feminine moan gasped from my lips. We rode like that for several minutes, her glowing hair falling against my chest. A feminine flip of our head sent it flying back over my shoulder. Beneath me I could see him close his eyes, completely through him I looked into my sunken pillow.

He leaned his head back and grunted softly, I felt him shudder beneath my body. Somewhere deep within her womb I felt a pulsing as he drove his ghostly seed into her. Slowly she sank forward, leaning against his chest still coupled in their haunting union.

Suddenly the door was thrown open, the two spirits jumped in fear; I felt my throat tighten as another youthful spirit burst into the room carrying a long barreled revolver. I screamed, jerking in horror wildly, the movement causing me to throw myself off the bed, finally able to break her control of my body. I sat trembling in the corner as the spirits faced each other.

The young female holding the revolver scowled hatefully at the lovers on the bed, her haunting voice echoed in my ears. "How dare you..."

The male apparition put his arm around the smaller naked female. "I told you that it was over..." He bellowed. I shrank further into the corner, hoping they didn't see me.

She swung the revolver toward the female, "I could kill you for what you've done to me!" The glowing spirit on the bed screamed as the male reached for the gun, it suddenly moved and barked quickly twice... his body rolled off the bed from the impact. The horrified look on his lovers face sent chills down my spine.

"See what you have done..." The one holding the revolver raced around the bed to look at the fallen man.

"Good God, Caroline... you've killed him!" The female spirit on the bed cried.

Fear rose in the eyes of the ghost holding the revolver, "What are we going to do... sister?" I suddenly sat up, my fear washing from my astonished body. This ghoulish reenactment was somehow an answer to the strange history of the Mooring House, unknown... until now.

The spirit called Caroline lowered the point of the revolver, "You have to help me bury him Adrienne..." Her spirited sister looked at her in shock.

"I'll do no such thing! You killed him... you bury him!" Adrienne retorted in contempt.

Slowly the gun was raised, "You stole him from me, you WILL help me bury him!"

Adrienne folded her arms across her breasts, "I will not!" She scowled at the glowing blue ghost that was her sister, "You'll have to kill me too because the first chance I get... I'll report you to the authorities! You're insane!" Her haughty smile slowly faded as the unmistakable sound of a revolver's hammer being pulled back. "No... Caroline... I..."

A great deafening roar fell across the silence of the room as the woman who had inhabited my body sank to the end of the bed, her pained expression washing from her face like the blood she was losing. "Fools!" The remaining spirit growled at the dead couple.

I sat shivering in the darkness as I watched her begin to drag the ghostly bodies one at a time down the hallway. Quickly using the time alone, I picked up my folded pants... thrust my legs into each hole and raced from the room carrying my shoes. On the front porch she rested her glowing body, sitting next to her handiwork. I fell silent as I waited just inside the great curved door; the ghoul pulled her sister out under a large swaying tree, through the dampened soil, she drug her sister's body.

I quickly slipped my shoes and socks on as she returned in silence to the male of the spirits. "Dear... dear Anthony... why?" She bent low over him and cried, kissing his cheek. Slowly she stood, also dragging him from the porch and across the muddied yard where he lay next to his dead lover. During this time, I stole away toward my car... crouching down behind it.

She bent down and picked up a long shovel, silently crying, she began to dig under the wide spreading branches of the great tree. Before my astonished eyes, they each faded from view, vaporizing into the early morning mist that was floating just above the ground. I fell along side the car and buried my face into my hands, bawling like a child for the fear and sheer terror I had just been put through. I crawled around to the front of the Buick, still trembling from my ordeal. I sat leaning against my left front tire, eyes focused upon the spot where I saw the three vanish.

For almost four hours I sat fixated at the spot where the bodies had been buried, slowly I rose to my feet and leaned in exhaustion against the roof of my car. My eyes were pulled down, drawn by the unmistakable sight of the door button sitting high in the air. "No..." I sighed, as I noticed the door was unlocked.

I opened it up, and placed my right foot inside the car... the muscles inside my thighs aching in pain. I lowered myself into the seat and closed the door, not sure of what to do. I inserted the key into the ignition and turned it, the car roared to life. Putting it into gear I headed around the little circle and back out the drive. I knew one thing; I had to make a stop at the police station before I did anything.

Yet that day, the Coroner had a team of specialists out at the house, they discovered the bodies of Adrienne and Anthony in the single unmarked grave. Their bones entwined as if in a perpetual embrace... here in this unmarked grave of the young lovers.

***

One year and seven months later I sat sipping tea on the great porch; my contractor leaned against the railing. "It's done... sure looks beautiful." He pointed toward the house and smiled.

I nodded and sat my cup down, "...And the room?"

"I don't have a clue why... but we left it just as you asked." He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. "I guess if you can sign this form here... we'll be leaving." He held out a clipboard and a pen.

I took the pen from him and quickly scribbled my name, "Thanks for all you guys have done around here... It really looks wonderful."

He straightened up and pushed the pen into his pocket, "So that's where you found the bodies?" Indicating the base of the large tree with his pen. I nodded, picking up my glass.

"I can't understand why you buried them back in there..." He shook his head, "It'd give me the creeps." He said as he looked toward the pristine graves that lay beside the tree, meticulously maintained flower beds grew profusely inside a period wrought iron fence.

I smiled and took another sip of the cold drink, "I have my reasons..." I laughed as he shuddered like he was having a sudden chill.

"Well... ah... thanks." He backed down the porch, and headed out to his van where his crew had been waiting. I gave them a short wave as they drove off into the setting Vermont sun.

I enjoyed the darkness which fell slowly; when it had come, I gathered my empty glass and headed into the house, now richly decorated from the earnings off the book I had just written. I walked past the foyer and headed up the stairs to the bedroom where it all happened.

I opened the door slowly and entered, looking much as it had for almost a hundred years. I unbuttoned my shirt and tossed each shoe across the room by the corner, my pants quickly followed. I turned off the light, closed my eyes and waited, listening for any sound to be heard in my room. Slowly an icy chill ran along my spine, I stood up and slowly walked toward the dresser... facing the reflective surface of the mirror.

"Adrienne... are you there?" I whispered softly as I stood before her mirror.

A ghostly haunting whisper responded, "I am here..." I raised my eyes to the reflection of the beautiful naked ghost. Her face slowly appearing over my own. We both looked down, our hand resting and slowly making small circles over her erect nipples. I looked behind me, there appeared Anthony, his chilling kiss fell along my neck and exposed shoulder. I felt us both shudder with passion.

"Thank you..." He whispered in my ear. "For everything..."

I felt my head lean against his chest; my eyes caught the reflection of the loving couple in the mirror. Somehow they were able to return alone, broken of their burden of Caroline. The young lovers had crossed the boundaries and were again using my body... I had become a sort of channel for their love and desires.

Call me a ghoulish host if you will, but all of what I have, they made possible. It was because of them and their love that I sat down to write our story. I did it for them... their passion and love for one and another. Trying only to cement our bond between the here, and hereafter. This house is for them... and I am only their guest.

***

Max made his choice, forever to be included as the only "living" guest of the Mooring House. A house built upon the firm but gently rolling lands, down a quiet sleepy little gravel drive known to lead directly into... THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

The End

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Twilight and sweet romance

You have both neat contrasts and common threads in your stories. You touch human fears, yet the romantic or circumstances hold you to a course not all one's choosing.
Would hope to have heard more of what Max felt and received. I know Rod Sterling often left things up in the air, but you are not limited my his style.

I enjoy reading your stories.
JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

this was

A really gently loving story in spite of initial fears and the violence that ended two lives long ago.

Two souls found peace and a living one did as well through helping them.

Good story.

Maggie