Off to Seek a Wizard -6- Five Miles High and Falling Fast

Printer-friendly version
Off to Seek a Wizard...
-6-
Five Miles High
And Falling Fast

by Erin Halfelven

stephaniedale.png

 
Most of what was left of a baby grand from the Cimmaron Congregation Church hit the plane high on the right side, in front of the wing, just above seat 12B. It was only the wooden box of the piano, the metal harp thingie and the keys and action having fallen out at a much lower altitude. Still, two hundred pounds of mahogany held together with steel rods and brass fittings made a sizable hole in the side of the plane...

...directly over my head.

I was sucked out in an instant since I wasn't buckled in yet. I didn't even know what had happened for the next thing that occurred was that I either fainted, perhaps from decompression shock, or got knocked out by hitting the fuselage.

When I came to, the plane was nowhere in sight --it couldn't very well stop to pick me up-- and I was surrounded by storm clouds lit by the eeriest sunset I had ever seen. Especially while falling from five miles high above the Kansas plains.

I shrieked. I screamed. I yelled and yelled and yelled. I flailed my arms and legs around. At one point, I must have assumed just the wrong position because as quick as the tablecloth trick, my dress went over my head and disappeared. I'd already lost my wig and flip flops and my purse in the original slurp so there I was falling to my death wearing nothing but a pair of lycra panties (padded), a size 32A/B bra (also padded), two emerald earrings and assorted bits of nail polish and makeup.

Stunned by the enormity of it, I continued to fall. I couldn't really do anything else unless I sprouted wings or learned some really good magic tricks quick-like.

Knowing my TV Tropes, I shouted, "It couldn't really get any worse!" Hoping against hope that a passing pterodactyl or other flying monster would happen by and grab me to take back to her nest where I might arrange some sort of escape before being gobbled up by the young'uns.

What actually happened was I fell into the top of a cloud. It got dark. It got cold. It got colder, coldest, coldester, even. Ice began to form on my fingers and hair. I rolled myself into as tight a ball as I could manage, trying not to freeze to death before impact with the ground could kill me. I know I cried because my tears froze on my cheeks before they could blow away.

I came out of the bottom of the cloud just as a point blank lightning flash and thunderstrike startled and confused me. The monkey grab reflex kicked in and I spread my arms and legs wide trying to reach something to pull myself to safety.

Rain and wind buffeted me from all sides. At least the rain was warmer than the inside of the cloud had been but I shivered and my teeth chattered like a cheap novelty skeleton jaw. I opened my eyes wide and tried to see something but it was dark everywhere I looked. I was falling spread-eagled, and I hoped, face up, though what difference that would make, I don't know. An open casket instead of a closed one?

I hit something. I said, "Oof!" and passed out again.

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Gee, I think we're not in

Gee, I think we're not in Kansas anymore.

Maybe she fell on a flying monkey.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Falling

...from five miles above Kansas, you'd definitely end up IN Kansas.

Not after you've been sucked

Not after you've been sucked up into a tornado. Doesn't EVERYONE know that tornadoes over Kansas end up in Oz?

Mind you, wearing nothing but underwear is definitely a new twist.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Oh, wow....

"A new twist on riding the twister to Oz." I really am sorry, but you threw the door *wide* open for that one. X-P

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Oz?

What, Brisbane, along with all those other characters?

Dunno. I mean, it _is_

Dunno. I mean, it _is_ supposed to be in the middle of a huge desert. That COULD be Western Australia


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Been there

Ridden across it...didn't notice any falling seminudes...

Probably ...

... just unlucky or perhaps lucky depending on your POV :)

PoV

About five feet nine above the pea gravel at the time, allowing for saddle height...

Yikes!

terrynaut's picture

Hey! What's with you?! That poor kid. And poor us. These cliffhangers are killing me. Ugh.

I have to see what she/he landed on. At least these chapters are short so they shouldn't take long to turn out. I'm hoping to see what happens before I leave England to come back to the states.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Casket

Speaking of open caskets: Could have caught up with the baby grand-open of course

Ack! We've switched genres.

Ack! We've switched genres. Not that I have any problem with either genre, but this has moved from plausibly real to fantasy and magic (not the stage kind), and that jars me out of my seat a bit. Not as badly as Stephanie was, though, fortunately.

Not yet

erin's picture

Nothing that has happened yet requires magic as an explanation, but I think I've provided enough hints that that is the way the story is apparently going. :)

Real life people have survived such falls but anything over about 600 feet, you're at terminal velocity without some sort of updraft to slow you down. That's why all the stories of people surviving unprotected falls of 5000 feet or more involve storm clouds.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Actually a couple instead

Brooke Erickson's picture

Actually a couple instead involve landing on a slope covered with something loose and not too hard. That slows you down a lot more gradually.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

What the?!?

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Well, to my surprise the internet thingy says that people have survived greater falls. Vesna Vulović fell 33,000 ft in the wreckage of her commercial JAT flight (though the internet thingy does cast doubt on the break-up altitude of her plane), Flight Sergeant Nicholas Stephen Alkemade (18,000ft), Lieutenant Ivan Mikhailovich Chisov (22,000ft) and Staff Sergeant Alan Eugene Magee (22,000 ft).

So, if Dale is lucky it'll be like a Wile E. Coyote and he'll just peel himself out of a person sized impact crater in the yellow brick road. If he's unlucky he's Sir Isaac Newton's bitch now and it's going to be messy.

Or it's the flying monkeys.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Good thing...

...there exists factors such as terminal velocity, air drag, impact reducing but yielding objects, and impact distributing solids or fluids. Of course, I don't know whether one of those factors are playing into the situation here or there's some magic acting...

It can't get any worse?

Apparently she doesn't know her tropes as well as she thought. Me thinks she skipped a part or two in "Tempting Fate." Points for getting creative, though. Well done and well written. If Enemyoffun isn't careful, I'm thinking you might just beat him out as the biggest cliff hanger meanie on this site if you keep this up. ^_^

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Peace be with you and Blessed be

This is like those stories ...

... with sequential authors; you know, where each writer tries to make things as difficult as possible for one following. Except of course, Erin is shooting herself in the foot rather than being shot. "Do you know this piano's flying through the air?" "No, Steffi, but if you hum it, I'll play it."

I used to be involved in throwing things at aero-engines to see how they behaved but we never tried a grand piano. Lumps of gelatine simulating birds and sometimes even birds (dead ones, but defrosted) but never a piano. Clearly, our lords and masters lacked imagination.

Robi

no frozen chicken gun?

no frozen chicken gun?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Frozen Chicken Gun

erin's picture

Would be a great name for a band! :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I presume

Angharad's picture

the rest of the aircraft had crashed somewhere, or at best crash-landed. Could it be the piano or something else from the tornado, which would enable a softer landing - assuming she didn't actually freeze to death or lose too many fingers and toes (and other appendages) to frostbite.

I still have no idea what's going on, but lovin' it.

Angharad

Angharad

Hmmm, I doubt the airplane crash landed

Quite a bit of decompression, yes, but loss of flight integrity, probably not. Mind numbing panic? YES!

As long as the engines are okay, and it is just one decompression hole, the plane itself should be able to land.

Poor Dale though. So, who lands, a boy or a 'girl'?

Edit: Oh and I wonder if she winds up in Australia ;-).

Kim

With her luck

She landed in a large manure pile!

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I dunno about manure, but

I dunno about manure, but she seems to be in a world of sh*t. :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

What?

You've never seen the classic Laural & Hardy about them joining the air force? They fall out of the open cockpits when the plane goes inverted and land in a big pile of manure. If it's good enough for L&H, it oughta be good enough for Stephanie/Dale!

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Now she's sucked out of the

Now she's sucked out of the plane, and falling, thank goodness her bra and pantys are padded.

Hugs,
Karen

The Satanic Verses

Daphne Xu's picture

This reminded me of the opening chapter to "The Satanic Verses". TVtropes: "There's no way anyone could survive that."

-- Daphne Xu