A Foreign Country - Part 2 Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
A Foreign Country

A novel by Bronwen Welsh

Part Two Chapter Three    The Ball

Prior to my surgery, I had been reluctant to go to any social occasions. It was difficult to explain to John, but it was mainly on his account. Perhaps I was paranoid since I've always had a rather over-active imagination, but there was always a feeling in my mind that some incident or accident might happen which would cause me to end up in hospital where my gender status would be revealed and somehow become public. I could not bear to think of the resultant scandal and its effect on John. Strangely enough, its effect on me didn't really register. Now that I had recovered from my surgery, this concern had evaporated, and indeed it did occur to me that some people might wonder why John and his wife were so reclusive. Strangely enough, it was my decision to suggest to John that we become more sociable that nearly led to just the sort of story that I was anxious to avoid.

Despite the fact that the population was spread quite thinly around the countryside, and a 'neighbour' often meant someone living about 50 miles away, this seemed to result in the social occasions that were organised being very well patronised. Every year, the local township of Heyward's Crossing had a country race meeting, and as part of the weekend's festivities, there was a ball held in the local hall. I suggested to John that perhaps this was a good 'coming out' opportunity for us both, and he agreed, so I rang up and purchased tickets, and we were left in no doubt that we would be warmly welcomed. I think the general feeling was that John had shut himself away after his wife died, and it would be good to see him socially out and about again. No doubt they were curious to see his new wife too.

My next decision of course was what to wear. It's so easy for men — the standard dinner suit is perfect for almost every occasion, but a woman must look her best, and if possible, appear in a suitably glamorous gown which she has not been seen to wear before. I went through the large wardrobe of what I now considered as 'my' dressing room, and finally decided on a gorgeous silk gown in purple with an overlay studied with designs in silver. Importantly, the presence of purchase tags proved that Mary had never worn it out, which was obviously an essential prerequisite. John persuaded me to model it for him and declared it a 'knock-out' even without my hair done and make-up applied, and in bare feet. I took out John's dinner suit and checked it over, and since it had been stored in a plastic cover, it looked in good condition, but I still took it into 'Hey' to be dry cleaned a service which had only recently been set up but seemed to be attracting quite a bit of custom with the ball coming up.

On the day of the ball, I commandeered the bathroom for most of the afternoon, with John grumbling good naturedly that he 'couldn't understand why women took so long to get ready'. My answer was the same as women the world over 'Because we want to look glamorous for you darling'. I finally handed over the bathroom to him in plenty of time while I did my make-up and dressed. John of course took only a fraction of the time to shower and put on his suit. I have to say that his reaction when I finally appeared wearing the dress again, but this time with my make-up and hair done and wearing stockings and five-inch heels was most gratifying.

“You will be the most beautiful woman at the ball.” he declared proudly, causing me to blush as usual.

“How do you know? You haven't seen any of the other women yet.” I protested.

“I don't need to see them. I just know you'll be.” he replied, which was of course exactly the right thing to say.

“Well, that 'most beautiful woman' will be on the arm of the handsomest man there” I smiled, and indeed even though I knew him so well now, John still had the power to make me go weak at the knees. I had a sneaking suspicion I might not be very popular with a bunch of jealous women there.

We arrived at the ball and were greeted by many of the people there, very few known to me, but John knew more people than I realised, which made me all the more pleased that I had suggested attending. They all expressed great pleasure in seeing us at the ball and complimented me on my gown. I was on Cloud Nine. Jenny and Tom were there too, Jenny looking glamorous, and Tom slightly uncomfortable in a dinner suit which obviously only saw the light of day a few times a year. So at least I had two close friends to chat with if John was spirited away.

It seems to be a convention at these events for women to go the 'ladies' in pairs, presumably to chat about the men while they repair their make-up, so I can't remember now how I happened to go on my own. I was in one of the cubicles when I heard two women come in chatting with each other. There was also a strange squeaking sound which I realised was a wheelchair which needed a wheel oiling, and I remembered that I had seen one of the women was using one. I believe she had broken an ankle. They obviously didn't notice the closed door of my cubicle because one was saying to the other as they each entered their cubicles:

“Did you see the new Mrs Brodie? She must be half his age.” A rather catty remark I thought to myself.

“The pretty woman in the purple gown? I think they look very well together.” was her companion's mild response. I warmed to her without even knowing her and I blushed with pleasure, even though I felt a little uncomfortable about eavesdropping, however unintentionally.

“Pretty? Well, I suppose so, but I must tell you a most extraordinary story I heard only yesterday. It was suggested to me that she isn't a 'she' at all but a man.”

“What rubbish!” was the response of the other woman.

“What I heard was that soon after Brodie's wife died, a young man came over from England to manage the accounts for him, and his name was Leslie. Now Brodie's married to a Lesley. That's a bit too much of a coincidence don't you think? Anyway, it's too delicious a story not to spread around.”

“But Elsie, haven't you thought you might get yourself in a great deal of trouble spreading a story like that?”

“Oh you worry too much Sue. Anyway, suppose it really is true?”

I didn't need a mirror to tell me that I had turned white and my hands were shaking. Where had this woman got such a story? She was obviously someone who enjoyed a good gossip, and this was the sort of story that would be lapped up and passed around the community very quickly, no matter how absurd it sounded. How could I stop it? Just then another woman entered the room, and that put a stop to the conversation.

Elsie said “Well I must be off back to the festivities. Are you ready yet?”

“You go ahead, I'll just be a minute,” replied Sue and I heard Elsie's heels click on the floor as she went to wash her hands and then left the room. I waited until the latest arrival left, and then I flushed the toilet and walked to the hand-basin, fully realising as I did that, that I had signalled to Sue in the wheelchair that someone else had heard the conversation. She kept very quiet, so in a conversational voice I faced the door of the disabled cubicle and said quietly, “Would you like to come out now?”

The door opened slowly, and a young woman stared up at me, her face bright red. “I knew it must be you. You heard everything didn't you.” she said it as a statement rather than a question. I had decided on my course of action.

“Yes I did,” I replied. “First, tell me — do I look like a man in drag?”

“Of course not,” she replied. “I don't know where on earth Elsie got that story from, it's obviously rubbish.”

“But rubbish which could cause John and I a great deal of embarrassment if it gets spread around.”

“I know,” she replied, “I wish there was a way of stopping her.”

“Well Sue, perhaps if she knew the facts, she would realise how they have been distorted into this ridiculous story she's heard. You see after Mary, John's wife died, there was a young man called Leslie who came out from England for a while to handle the accounts. However, he didn't stay. I heard about the position being vacant from a mutual friend, and decided I'd like a change of scenery, so I applied and got the job. I arrived just as he left. I had no intention of romance when I arrived, but, well, you've seen John and what a gorgeous person he is, so perhaps it wasn't so surprising that a relationship developed between us. The fact that my name happens to be Lesley and that young man was a Leslie has obviously led to the confusion, although I wouldn't in my wildest dreams have come up with a story like the one Elsie is telling.”

“You're right of course," said Sue, “Now that I understand the facts, I'll be sure to tell her.”

“I'd appreciate you doing that,” I said. “Please don't misunderstand me, but if John gets to hear about it, he might even be inclined to sue for slander, and frankly the last thing I want is unpleasantness. I want to participate in and be a welcome part of this community, so if you can get her to stop right now, you'd be doing everyone a favour.”

The suggestion of suing was a bluff of course, but Sue wasn't to know that, and I was fairly sure she'd know that John had deep pockets.

“Thank you for being so understanding,” said Sue “I'll make sure I speak to her right away before this goes any further.”

When I had arrived back at the table, John had looked at me a bit curiously, perhaps wondering why I had been away so long. “Are you alright?” he inquired.

“I'm fine, just making friends,” I replied, “But I think it's just a little hot in here.”

John immediately took me outside for some fresh air, and I did feel a bit better for it, standing out in the cool night air, gazing up at the stars blazing, and I felt even better when he took me in his arms and kissed me deeply.

“I'm so glad we came to this ball,” he said “And I was right, you are the most beautiful woman here.”

“Oh John, I'm so lucky to have you,” I murmured as I nestled in his arms.

When we went back inside the hall I saw Elsie and Sue away from the supper table and in earnest conversation. At one point Elsie looked over in my direction, and I met her gaze and held it. It was hard to tell from a distance, but I thought she looked decidedly nervous. In any case, I heard no more of that story, but I confess it really shook me up at the time. When I thought back about all I had said to Sue, really, I hadn't told any lies at all, since Leslie had left when Lesley arrived, just not in the way I knew Sue would understand it to mean.

To be continued

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Due to the festive season...

Andrea Lena's picture

...I'll recall just how grateful in so many ways for this site, and at this moment for this lovely tale. What a precious couple John and Lesley have become! Terrific story, dear heart. Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Happy Christmas

Thank you for the story it is charming and well written.

I shall await your post Christmas input with baited breath!!

Thanks

I've just spent an hour or so reading through your story and have very much enjoyed it.

Have great Christmas break and I look forward to the next episode.

Aud

Thank you,Bronwen

ALISON

May you also have a wonderful Christmas,it should be a lot cooler down there than what
it is up here.May 2012 be kind to you! God bless.

ALISON

This story is proceeding well

I currently only have intermittent access to the Internet and so have to read three or four chapters at a time, but you are maintaining the quality throughout and I look forward to reading more! Happy Christmas!

Oh, I just love this tale,

Oh, I just love this tale, Absolutely stunning! The language and emotions are intriguingly inter woven into a highly exciting story, I will be folowing this one to its fruition.

Bronwen, ::stands and claps:: very nice, sweetie.

joannie

Gotta Watch Those Outback Communities

joannebarbarella's picture

Gossip was what made the world go round. When your nearest neighbour is twenty or thirty miles away you can have time on your hands to talk and this was Bjelke-Petersen Queensland, hardly the most tolerant of societies. He was the man who famously said "If it walks like a crow and squawks like a crow, it's probably a crow." and he was a fundamentalist Bible-thumping bigot who also happened to be corrupt. He was the State Premier (say Governor in the USA) for almost twenty years until some of his own party could no longer stand the stink.

So, Lesley, good on yer girl for stamping on the rumour,

Joanne

I see London, I see France..............

Well, you could have flashed her by raising your knickers, ( is that unladylike in Australia ? )

Karen