Changes: Dreams and Wishes 3

Printer-friendly version
There was a mix of ages from the very young to the very old. Everyone seemed to know each other and there were lots of hugs and handshakes.

I felt a bit left out; all these families and friends and I had no one. Was I asking too much to be part of a proper family?
 
 

Dreams and Wishes
Part 3

By Susan Brown

Copyright © 2011 Susan Brown


A Penmarris Story

Silent Night...

The church was half full but getting fuller by the minute.

I remembered that the few churches that I had been into had been rather cold at this time of year; but this one was warm, with heaters high up on the walls making it toasty warm.

It wasn’t a huge church, but I suppose you could sit two hundred at a squeeze. There were lots of parents with children and it was a bit noisy. Why is it that babies plus church equals screaming babies?

There was a mix of ages from the very young to the very old. Everyone seemed to know each other and there were lots of hugs and handshakes.

I felt a bit left out; all these families and friends and I had no one. Was I asking too much to be part of a proper family?

I sat near the back and watched others come in and tried to keep a low profile. When the place was nearly full, Samantha came in holding Heather; with her was the lady from the pottery and so it all sort of clicked, they were a couple and Heather was their child. Well I assumed that and it was confirmed by the fact that they were holding hands and had that lovey-dovey look that people who are loony about each other have.

They went up to the front and sat with another lady. There was still one space left up front though and I wondered who that was for...

‘Excuse me.’

I looked up and there was an elderly woman beaming down at me.

‘Can I squeeze through?’

I smiled and then stood up and she slipped past me and then sat next to me. On my other side was a man with greasy hands, he looked as if he had just finished work. His wife was by his side in her best Sunday dress and hat and she didn’t look too pleased at his appearance. I noticed that they were both wearing sturdy boots,

‘Listen Father, you baint aught ter come ter the House o’ God wearing clothes like that? You should ‘ave gorn upalong and changed. What will they all think?’

I was going red in the face with embarrassment at this. I wanted to melt into the scenery on not be seen and there was this lady who didn’t know the meaning of a whisper, laying in to her hubby like nobody’s business. It didn’t stop there when the husband replied. I looked down wondering if the earth might do me a favour and swallow me up.

‘ElspethPearson, shut yer gob,’ I never ‘ad time did I?’

‘’Don’t yer tell me ter shut me gob, yer lump o’ lard. Just wait till I gets ye ‘ome....’

I think that Mr Pearson would have said something else, but the organ stopped and so did everything else. There was a hush, a strange, unnatural hush and then the click of heals and the smell of mothballs and some sort of scent wafting in the air.

A lady was walking down the aisle.

She was large, imposing, had some sort of dead bird type of hat and an expensive fur coat on. She had the air of a person who was in charge and knew that she was. She glanced left and right, caught my eye with a laser like look and then continued on. Everyone stood up and I wondered why; was she royalty or something?

‘Lady Fairbairn,’ whispered the kindly old lady next to me and said nothing else, as if that explained everything.

Lady Fairbairn went to the front; surprisingly, Samantha, Abby and Heather looked delighted to see her and there was a series of pecks on the cheek and then they all sat down.

Just then, a girl came in; she was pretty, about fifteen and looked a bit puffed. She looked around trying to find a seat and then saw me. She barged past the Pearson’s, saying sorry for stepping on Mrs Pearson’s boot and then somehow squeezed between Mr Pearson and me. She gave me a beaming smile.

‘Hi, late as usual, you’re new, holiday maker are you or visiting rele’s?’

‘’Err, holidays.’

‘Where’s your parents? Don’t answer, probably up front. I hate going up front. You are noticed up there. I don’t want to get noticed. Vicar’s a nice chap, David Gotobed and his wife Jocasta is a sweetie too, but I always get hooked into doing things if I get noticed. I’m Sarah, who are you?’

‘Erm, Hannah,’

‘Erm Hannah, funny name that; well I just got here in time, she’d skin me alive if I didn’t turn up. She’s a stickler for doing the right thing. Anyway, David and Jocasta’s daughters, Jennifer and Phillipa are here somewhere, oh yes, they’re in the choir. I can’t sing for toffee. Mind you, they are pony mad; I’m getting a pony next year, I hope, anyway...’

The confusing stream of words stopped as the organ started playing Hark The Herald Angels Sing and everyone stood up.

I could hear the carol being sung from behind and then the vicar came in followed by the choir, all in red cassocks, starched ruff collars and crisp white surplices, each carrying a long, lit candle.

On the next chorus, the congregation joined in as the procession went down to the front and went to their allotted places; the choir to their stalls, facing inward and the vicar to the front, next to the lectern.

I won’t explain too much about the service, for those who have been to them, they are much the same. The singing was lovely and I went as far as forget myself and sang my heart out. I wasn’t the only one though and I don’t think that I drew much attention to myself. Sarah though was a bit off key.

‘Why is everyone singing out of tune?’ she hissed at me in a lull between carols.

I looked at her and giggled behind my hand. She wasn’t amused!

The sermon was brief and to the point and the vicar had a light way of speaking that, I think resonated, I think that’s the word, with the congregation.

It surprised me though, when Samantha walked up to the lectern and read a passage from the bible. To this day, I haven’t a clue what she was reading; I was just captivated by her voice, her loveliness and her shining personality. I was convinced, rightly or wrongly that I should tell her about my problems. I still don’t know why. But I had to talk to someone and I couldn’t carry on living they way I had been and she just seemed like person that would listen to me and not be judgmental.

Towards the end of the service, one of the boys stood up and sang Silent Night without the organ. His voice was pure and clean and it went straight to my heart. I felt tears going down my face as I listened to his angelic voice.

Silent night, Holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild
Sleep in Heavenly peace
Sleep in Heavenly peace

Silent night, Holy night
Shepherds quake at the sight
Glories stream from Heaven afar
Heavenly hosts sing Hallelujah
Christ, the Savior is born
Christ, the Savior is born

Silent night, Holy night
Son of God, love’s pure light
Radiant beams from thy Holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth

Then the whole choir stood up and sung it in German and that was lovely too.

I don’t think that I was the only one in tears after they finished, but things got brighter when we all sang O Come all ye Faithful followed by Once in Royal David's City.

All in all I enjoyed the service and felt part of something bigger and despite the possible dangers of discovery and exposure, it was worth it.

All too soon, the service was over and the vicar and then the choir left the way that they had came in, followed by Lady Fairbairn who walked down the aisle with a determined step.

Sarah was just going to whisper something in my ear, when Lady Fairbairn caught sight of her. She raised one eyebrow and Sarah started to go.

‘Sorry, have to go. Mummy wants me to leave with her; bye,’

I just had time to say goodbye and she was off. Well fancy that, Lady Fairbairn was her mother!

The church started to empty and I sneaked out with a few other people in front and a family behind me.

Suddenly I was gripped by the hand and there was the vicar and next to him, I assumed, his wife, Jocasta.

‘Nice to see you, did you enjoy it?’

‘Y...yes.’ I said, a bit tongue tied.

‘Good, good,’ he said somewhat absent mindedly as his eyes roved over to the people standing behind me.

Jocasta took my hand.

‘Are you all right dear, you look a bit pale.’

‘I’m fine thanks,’

‘On holiday here?’

‘Yes.’

‘Thought so, I know all the faces. Are your parents around?’

‘Erm, I think they went on ahead. I erm got talking to erm, Sarah,’

‘Ah yes, Sarah, nice girl but a bit chatty. Are you here for long?’

‘Just a few days.’

‘Good; well nice seeing you. if you want a chat, come up to the vicarage– all part of the service. I’m not such an old fuddy-duddy as I look.’

‘You aren’t old!’ I said.

‘Bless you; anyway, you had better pop along and catch your parents, they will be wondering where you are.’

She gave me another smile.

‘Okay, bye,’

‘Goodbye dear.’

I hurried off and then as I went I looked back at her. She was following me with her eyes, so I gave a little wave and ran off.

I managed to get around the corner of the church and out of sight and then as there was no one in view, I went over to the gravestone and picked up my rucksack.

The church clock struck eight. It was getting colder now and the clouds were bubbling up as far as I could see in the gloom. It looked like it was going to be a rotten night and I had nowhere to go.

I went to the corner of the church and peeped around to see if there was anyone about. There were still a few people at the entrance and in the porch and I wondered whether I should just go, but I was worried about the slightly enquiring expression on Jocasta’s face. I wondered if she smelt a rat. She would see me clearly as I crossed the path leading to the road if she happened to look this way.

Then I saw Samantha, Abby and Heather leave.

They walked slowly with Heather in Abby’s arms. I could hear them laughing as they went down the path.

I looked back at the entrance just in time to see the doors close. Now was my chance, I could leave without being seen. There were a few people about still and over in the car park, car engines were being started and the beams of the headlights cut across the churchyard as cars manoeuvred and then left.

I walked down the path, following a man and woman with a young boy holding their hands and jumping up and down as he walked.

About thirty yards in front of them was Samantha and her little family.

I wondered where they lived and if they had brought their car. I was answered almost at once when instead of going to the car park; they turned left, away from the cars and then walked down the road.

I reached the churchyard entrance and glanced to my left and then right. What was I going to do; go back to the harbour, maybe use the shelter at the end of the promenade and somehow huddle down for the night?

What a thought for Christmas Eve.

Tomorrow the cafes would almost certainly be closed, so the chances of food and a hot drink would be slim.

In the distance, I could still see Samantha and Abby.

What should I do?

Without really answering my own question, I turned and followed them. I had no idea what I was going to do. At least by walking I would keep myself warm, but I couldn’t do that all night could I?

Up ahead, by the streetlight, I could see them turn right. Looking around, I noticed that I was alone, so I just started running to catch up. For some reason I wanted to see where they lived.

I reached the corner and slowed to a stop. Looking around the corner, I noticed that I was quite close to them now. They didn’t seem to be in any sort of a hurry.

I waited until there was a bit more distance between us and, keeping in the shadows, I followed them once again.

They walked about a quarter of a mile and then turned right.

I did my running to catch up thing and saw as I turned the corner that they were going up a slightly windy lane and then suddenly turned left. I followed carefully, listening for any sounds. I heard a door close just as I reached the garden gate. On the gate it said Jellicle Cottage.

I felt something furry up against my leg and I almost screamed with fright. Looking down, I sighed with relief that I didn’t see a humongously large rat, but a pussy cat, purring away and rubbing itself against my leg.

‘Shh, pussy, you’ll get me into trouble.’ I whispered.

The cat ignored me and carried on and then she started meowing. I opened the gate and the cat ran into the garden. On an impulse I followed. It wasn’t very light in the garden, but I could see the vague shapes of trees, bushes, the main house or cottage rather and also several outhouses, one of which the cat went towards.

The cottage lights were on and the curtains were still drawn back, so I could see inside. I crept up to the widow and peeped in, being careful not to be seen.

I gasped as I saw the cheerful sitting room with decorations, Christmas cards on the walls and a lovely twinkling Christmas tree by the side of a roaring log fire. It looked so cosy and warm. Just then Abby walked in with Heather in her arms. Heather looked fast asleep. Samantha followed and they crossed the room and went into another one. It seemed obvious that Heather was being put down for the night.

I stepped away, feeling very guilty. This was wrong. I shouldn’t be a peeping Thomasina. I had no right to pry into their private lives. It seemed all the worse somehow because it was Christmas.

Once again I jumped as I got the furry leg treatment. This time it was another cat; how many cats lived here?

The cat purred, meowed quietly and then turned away, heading for one of the outbuildings that I could see by the lights of the cottage.

I followed the cat for some reason and then noticed that it went into the outbuilding using some sort of cat flap in a door. I remembered that I had brought my torch with me and I took it out of the side pocket of my rucksack.

After looking around at the cottage and seeing no sign of anyone looking out, I switched the torch on but shaded the light, using my hand to shield it so it only shone a bit. I quietly turned the knob, hoping that the door wasn’t locked and I was in luck as the door opened quietly.

I stepped in and shut the door behind me.

By the light of my torch, I could see at least a dozen cat beds and cushions littered about the floor, some with cats on. Other cats were cleaning themselves and at least three came up and gave me the once over before moving away and settling down.

One thing I noticed straight away, the place was warm–there were a couple of heaters on the wall blowing out warm air. It looked like Samantha and Abby had a thing for cats and they liked them to be nice and cosy at night. There was a glazed window to the side and I looked out. The curtains at the window of the cottage had been drawn and it looked like the couple were settling down for the night.

I went over to a corner, pulled out a couple of large cushions from a pile and sat down on them. I needed to think.

Of course I was joined by two cats who needed a bit of stroke treatment before they would settle down and allow me to think things through. Eventually peace returned and I was able to consider my options.

Then it started to rain–hard.

I listened to the rain drumming on the roof and the wind started to whip up outside. Well that sort of made my immediate option pretty clear. I would have to stay here in the warm and dry rather than go outside and maybe die of exposure. My instinct to follow Samantha and Abby had paid dividends.

I was feeling bit uncomfortable, down below, so I changed my underwear. Then I pulled the cushions about a bit, found a few more on shelf and then made a sort of nest for myself. There was a tap and sink in the corner so I cupped some water and drank. I didn’t have anything to eat, but I wasn’t too hungry, as I had eaten quite well earlier. I did have a couple of bars of chocolate and a packet of crisps as emergency rations so I wouldn’t starve.

I made myself comfortable and used one of my jumpers to cover me, but it wasn’t cold in there so I really felt as snug as a bug in a rug. I also had some more heating available, because a few of the cats decided to keep me company. So not only was I warm and dry, I had some welcome company and after all I had been through, I considered myself to be lucky.

My watch had an alarm on it and I set it for five thirty. I didn’t want to be caught napping and I wanted to be away from there before dawn.

I settled down and tried to sleep, but what with the noise of the rain and the wind and the purring and fidgeting of my new furry friends, I found it hard to drop off.

My mind kept going over my problems and what I should do about it. I had decided that I would tell Samantha about my problems and then I thought about it and wondered if she would believe me. She appeared to be a pillar of the community; maybe she would just hand me over to the authorities. I had had experience of the way the children’s services dealt with me. They didn’t seem to believe that I was a girl and had made me be something that I wasn’t–a boy.

Would that change if they saw me now and how desperate I had been to get away from the home and the possibility of being abused? What had Mark Parminter told them? I bet he didn’t say that he was a pervert and deserved to be put in prison and the key thrown away.

It came back to the fact that it was his word against mine. Who would everyone believe–him or me?

I turned over, dislodging one of the cats who promptly climbed back on me made him or herself more comfortable.

My thoughts then turned to Christmas. Christmas for me was magical, not because I had ever had a really great Christmas, I hadn’t, but the thought of Christmas with the presents and the fun and laughter; the closeness that some lucky families have and the joy of giving as well as receiving, all made it a special time.

All around the cove, families were looking forward to having a nice Christmas. Children were in bed, either fast asleep or trying to sleep, waiting for Santa to come on his sleigh. A drink would have been left for Santa, maybe a glass of milk or even something a wee bit stronger, together with a mince pie or cookie. Some parents were probably still preparing for the festivities and it was probable that more than one kitchen was occupied by people trying to get everything ready for the morning...

I yawned. I was ever so tired. It had been a long hard day and needed my sleep. I still didn’t know what I would do in the morning...

~*~

Something touched my shoulder and I brushed it away.

I didn’t open my eyes, I was still too tired.

‘Go away, pussy I’m asleep.’

‘Hannah.’

‘What?’ I mumbled and then realised that I had been spoken to and my eyes shot open.

Light was streaming through the window and cats were walking about and making a lot of noise, but the only thing I was really seeing was Samantha, kneeling in front of me.

Things rushed through my head. My alarm hadn’t gone off. I had been caught. I was in trouble and would be sent back.

‘Honey, what are you doing here; why aren’t you with your parents?’

She stroked the hair out of my eyes and her touch was so gentle and nice...

I looked up and tears began to trickle down my cheeks.

‘I...I’ve run away.’

Why–oh look we can’t talk here, come into the cottage.’

She stood up and then held out her hand. I hesitantly took it and she helped me up.

‘Is that your bag?’

I nodded, not daring to speak.

She picked my bag up and still holding my hand she led me out of the outbuilding.

I gasped as I saw that the rain had turned to snow and everywhere was covered in a blanket of white. Flakes were falling gently and resting on the trees, bushes and ground.

Her hand was warm and soft. She didn’t say anything and just led me into her lovely, warm and welcoming cottage.

‘Abby!’ she called.

Abby came out of what I assumed was the kitchen; she had an apron on, a Christmas one with reindeers on. She was wiping her hands on a tea towel and had a smudge of flour on her nose.

‘What? oh, erm Hannah isn’t it?’

I nodded and then once again burst into tears.

‘Was it something I said?’ asked Abby coming over and giving me a hug.

‘Sorry,’ I said, ‘sorry, I’ve spoilt your Christmas.’

‘I found her in the cat house,’ said Samantha.

‘You’ve been there all night?’ asked Abby.

I nodded, unable to speak.

‘She’s run away from home,’

‘Oh Lord; that’s bad, look, you look cold and hungry, why don’t you freshen up in the bathroom and we’ll get you sorted out; erm, you see to have damp jeans, have you a change of clothing?’

I nodded–this was great, I had leaked in the night.

‘Well, I tell you what, have a shower and then you’ll feel nice and clean. Use the towels and any smellies you want and in the mean time I’ll get some breakfast organised. Sam, do you want to go and see if Heather is awake yet?’

‘Okay and Hannah, don’t worry, we’ll help you all we can and that’s a promise.’ She gave me a lovely smile and I was then shown the bathroom.

Soon I was under a hot shower and felt cleaner than I had in days–days, it had only been two days ago that I had been in the home and everything had gone pear shaped. I washed my hair, it felt filthy and then using some sweet smelling shower gel, I washed my body until all traces of yuck had gone.

Using a big fluffy towel, I dried myself and my skin tingled and felt nice and silky after using the fragrant gel that must have had some sort of moisturiser in it.

I emptied my bag, put on some clean underwear, a cream blouse and then I decided that as I was inside I would wear a skirt–i didn’t have a choice as my only jeans were dirty and soiled. The skirt was a black, pleated, poly cotton mix one that just covered my knees, it was probably a school skirt, but it was the better of the two that I had. Then I pulled on some white ankle socks that were relatively clean and black slip on shoes with a very low heel. This was all I had to wear, not exactly the height of cool for a girl my age, but it would do.

There was a hair dryer in the bathroom and I used it on my wet hair. Once dried, I brushed and teased my hair a bit to get it roughly into a girlie type style and then I looked at myself in the slightly misted mirror. I looked okay, not great but I couldn’t expect miracles. I had dark circles under my eyes and I was a bit pale, but not too bad considering what had happened.

I had deliberately put all thoughts of my predicament and discovery on hold while I was in the bathroom. But I had finished doing what I had to do and all thoughts of my position and what would happen to me came flooding back.

You know that slightly sick, apprehensive feeling that you get when you are waiting for something nasty to happen like a dentist’s appointment. Well, this was about a hundred times worse than that.

I took a deep breath, considered whether I should just stay there and hopefully everything bad would miraculously go away, realised that it wouldn’t happen and then with heart thumping, I opened the door.

~*~

If I expected an armed response unit, the police, or maybe a social services hit squad outside, it didn’t happen. There was no one in sight. I followed my nose to the kitchen. I could smell bacon and eggs and my mouth started to drool a bit.

Inside, Abby was at the cooking with stuff sizzling in a pan and Samantha was feeding Heather at the table something that resembled mud.

Heather looked up and gurgled something and the others smiled at me.

‘You look nice,’ said Samantha.

‘Not really, these aren’t my clothes...’

‘No explanations for now; lets feed you up and when Heather is out of the way in her play pen we can all sit down and have a chat.’

‘I’m sorry to spoil your Christmas,’ I said, sniffing.

‘You aren’t spoiling Christmas, I promise,’ said Abby as she placed a plate in front of me’ ‘now tuck in; you’ll feel a bit better when you get some food down you.’

It was a typical English breakfast and I enjoyed it despite my predicament. The others sat and ate with me and little was said as everyone was busy filling their faces.

Soon we were finished and with another cup of tea we went into the sitting room. From the inside it looked even cosier than when I saw it from the outside the previous night. The logs were blazing merrily and the lights on the Christmas tree, if anything looked even brighter.

Heather was in her playpen making giggling noises–she seemed a very contented child– as we sat around in deep armchairs.

‘Right,’ said Samantha, ‘would you like to tell us all about it?’

I looked at them both, took another sip of tea, hoping that it would help give me courage and then took a deep breath.

I had decided that I would tell them the whole truth. I was fed up with the deceit and lies.

Looking down at the floor I told them my story.

‘First of all, my official name is Joseph but I was known as Joe or Joey. Physically I’m a boy but inside I’m all girl...’

I told about being an orphan and living in a succession of foster homes and care homes; my plumbing problem; how I had always been a girl and the fact that no one took me seriously, including the doctor who had seen me two years before.

Then I got upset about what Mike had made me do and how frightened I was that he was going to do other things to me.

By this time Samantha had squeezed in beside me and was hugging as I carried on pouring out my heart.

I explained that I didn’t think that I would be believed as it was his word against mine and that I had to get away and try to do–something, and how I decided to come to the place that I had been happiest, even for such a short space of time.

In the end I felt emotionally drained and just sat there, my face wet with tears awaiting their verdict, because I felt that I was on some sort of trial and that the outcome would either be good or bad for me.

Samantha was still hugging me, so at least hadn’t recoiled at what I had told them.

Abby walked over and knelt down and her face was inches from mine. She had tears I her eyes and that set me off again.

After a minute or two I pulled myself together.

‘Sorry.’ I said.

‘Sorry?’ said Abby, ‘you have nothing to apologise for has she Sam?

‘Nothing at all; look Hannah, take a few tissues and have a good blow and then we’ll talk about a plan of action.

I took the preferred tissues and after wiping my eyes I did have a good blow and that helped unblock my nose–I know too much information–anyway I felt better after that.

‘Right,’ said Samantha taking my hand, ‘we need to sort things out. I realise that you don’t really know us, but can you trust us to help you?’

I nodded, I had no choice.

‘Abby, any thoughts?’

Abby had sat back down in her chair again and had a writing pad and pen in her hand.

‘Well it’s obvious really; call out the troops.’

‘Troops?’ I said; I hadn’t seen any army camps and anyway, that seemed a bit over the top.

‘Yes,’ said Samantha, ‘good idea, the troops are our Penmarris support group. When we have problems we call them in and then get things done. We are a close community and we always help one another.’

‘But I’m not from around here.’

‘You are now,’ smiled Abby with Samantha nodding in agreement.

I went all squishy inside at that. Maybe things weren’t so bad for me after all.

‘I’ll make the calls,’ said Samantha, getting up.

‘But what about Christmas, I will spoil everyone’s Christmas.’

‘No you won’t; we all love to help and it will make our Christmas to help you.’

‘Will they laugh at me?’ I asked as Samantha left the room leaving Abby with me.

‘What for?’ asked Abby, with a puzzled face.

‘I’m dressed as a girl and have...other problems.’

‘They won’t laugh, I promise. Look at me, what do you see?’

‘A lovely lady,’

‘Ooh you flatterer; well up until I was a teenager I was brought up as a boy, I was a hermaphrodite or intersexed and I had to have an operation to help me be a girl, so I know a bit of what you are going through. Samantha has issues too, but I will let her tell you at another time. We have others kids in the village with gender identity problems so you are far from unique. Everybody knows about me and I have never been rejected by anyone. Also, maybe because of my gender problems, I was a bit incontinent and wet the bed sometimes, so don’t feel ashamed about it. Many people have that particular problem and our doctor, Marcia Sinclair will tell you that she has more than one child on her books with it. Does that make you feel a bit better?’

I nodded; no one had told me anything like this. I was just some strange kid who wanted to dress funny, was a bit loopy and wet himself, that was what I had all my life. Why were people so cruel?

‘Thank you for helping me,’

‘No problem, ma chá¨re– I’m going to French class up at the school, it’s hard. But I try. Now are you still hungry?’

‘No, I’m fine thanks.’

‘Okay let me know if you want something...’

Just then Samantha came back in, she was rubbing her hands.

‘Right, we have a go situation. Dotty, Jocasta, Marcia, Dawn and Katie are coming down in about thirty minutes.’

‘I look a mess,’ I said.

‘Spoken like a true girl. Well you don’t look too bad although I think we’ll hit the shops when they open again.’

‘I only have  £28.40,’ I said.

‘Don’t worry about money,’ said Samantha,’ it won’t be a problem, believe me.

‘So I’m staying?’ I said hopefully.

‘We’ll see, but don’t worry; hell will freeze over before I let you go anywhere near that home and that odious man.’

I had to be satisfied with that and it did make me feel a bit better, but I had been in ‘the system’ for most of my life and I knew how bad the social services could be sometimes.

~*~

About twenty minutes later, there was a knock on the front door and it woke me up. I must have been dozing. I rubbed my eyes and noticed that I was alone. Even Heather had gone and I wondered where everyone was. There was another knock on the door and more voices. I wondered what was happening but was too shy and more to the point, too worried to go and see.

Then Sarah walked in.

‘Hi Hannah, well, how cool is this?’

‘Hello, erm Sarah.’

She was wearing a rather nice jumper and skirt; they probably cost a fortune and looked lovely on her. The skirt was an Aztec pattern knitted one–I had seen them in the shop, they were well cool–she also had on some dark blue leggings and a cream dkny jumper that I would have died for. Her boots were ankle ones and were black, they looked nice and warm.

I wondered why she was here and then almost as if she read me mind she continued.

‘Mummy said that there was a high powered meeting or something and I sort of got in the Roller with her. I don’t think that she wanted me to come but, I just gave her the doe eyed look and said that I wanted to be with my mummy on Christmas day and that was it, so here I am. So what’s up?’

I looked down and mumbled something.

‘No one will tell me anything. Where are your parents and why are you here? Not sure about the clothes, that’s unkind you might be poor or something. Oh sorry, I’ve put my foot in it again. I don’t mean to, as I was as poor as a church mouse once before Mummy rescued me from a life of crime, drugs and villainy–that is the right word, isn’t it for someone who is bad? Anyway, if you are around for a while, we’ll go shopping. Mummy will pay; she’s got pots of it and doesn’t know what to do with it. That is if you want to. You might be going home with your parents soon, I hope not as you seem cool. Do you have a phone, shall we exchange numbers then I could text you and you could do the same for me; then we can tweet and do the Facebook thing. Mind you, you might not want to know me when you go home. Where is your mum and dad and why aren’t you roasting chestnuts and eating lots of mince pies and opening your pre–sents. Oh Hannah, why are you crying?’

She came over and I was engulfed in a big hug. She started crying as I had and she was saying things like, sorry for being a beast and putting her size 3 foot in it.

Just then Samantha came in.

‘What’s wrong?’ she asked.

‘Sorry Sam, I said some silly things to Hannah and she got a bit upset.’

‘Things are a bit hard for Hannah at the moment.’

‘I can see that now, but nobody told me not to put my foot in it.’

‘Yes, well, never mind. Look Hannah, are you up to coming and having a word with the others?’

‘Do I have to?’ I asked, not wanting to go through all that heartache again.

‘They have all been told about what happened. They just want to clarify a few things.’

‘All right,’ I said, getting up rather reluctantly and following Samantha.

‘Can I come?’ asked Sarah.

Samantha looked at me enquiringly.

I shrugged my shoulders and said, ‘Why not.’

It would be nice having someone a bit younger there, although I would say that Sarah was a couple of years older than me. Let’s face it, my situation would be common knowledge soon and I didn’t think that it would matter if Sarah heard the facts first hand, rather than from anyone else.

We followed Samantha out and we went down a corridor, avoided several cats and then, in front of us was a big conservatory, inside were several people, but facing the door, hat still on her head with some sort of dead animal on it, sat Lady Fairbairn and she was staring at me with those piercing eyes.

Part 4 coming soon...

Please leave comments and kudo thingies...thanks! ~Sue

If you are enjoying this story, The original Penmarris story - Changes Book 1 is now available on Kindle:

Angel

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NZFWG8 (US)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Changes-ebook/dp/B006NZFWG8/ref=sr_1... (UK)

up
366 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

brava

Its always nice to read a happy ending story on a sad and cloudy day, and being a sue brown book I can only assume it will have a happy ending.

Delicious!

Far better than a mince pie!

"[W]e all love to help and it will make our Christmas to help you."

A very tasty Christmas story, very much in the Christmas spirit, and I can't wait for the next installment!

___________________
It's so... emotional!.

i kinda hope next part will

i kinda hope next part will be 4 of 5, followed by part 5 of 6....

This,

a thousand times this :).

Thanks, Sue, for the continuation.

Dreams and Wishes 3

Hannah has found a home.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Silver lining ahead

What a great story and building up to a happy ending hopefully.I have read and enjoyed all the Penmarris series and this is as good as the rest,thank you.

devonmalc

devonmalc

Indeed the troops

Are all assembled! Not to worry, Hannah! When you've got Sam, Abby, Jocasta, and of course THE Lady Fairbairn (who is as much a force of nature as a woman of steel determination and resolve) all on your side it's game-set-match. That pervert Mike won't know what hit him!!!

Nice of you to visit Penmarris again, Sue!

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Wow! Sue, a night with the cats.

Was it chance she met up with Samantha and Abby, or divine guidance?

Their could be nobody better to support her at this time.

Even Lady Fairchild has the contacts to sort out the legal/foster debacle.

And what a wonderful gift of love and friendship on Xmas day, this is really what its all about!

Wonderful Sue, thank you, and Merry Xmas.

LoL
Rita

I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac.
'Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there's a dog.'

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

right time

Thanks Susan,

It is just the right time for this story,being the time of year when everyone want to feel good,and help people that are less fortunate than ourselves.

Hugs Roo

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

things are looking up

I have little fear that "the troops" wont be able to solve the issues.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Wonderful

I cannot think of a place I'd rather visit for Christmas than Penmarris nor folk I'd druther see than "the Troops". Thank you, Sue

Joani

Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings.... We simply continue to fly ......... on a broomstick...... We are flexible like that.

Oh lovely

I always love stories with a lot of pussies in it.

I can imagine when Hannah grows up that she will tell of her adventures and the part where she wound up sleeping in a cat house.

It must have felt like she was sleeping with a fur blanket on. Hmmm, wonder why her alarm did not wake her? The magic of Christmas? Or she was just so blasted tired that she slept through it.

Poor little tyke, but I can see that it will take at least 3 more parts to finish this off, hopefully before New Years.

Take care of your hand, Sue :)

Kim

Tears

terrynaut's picture

You got me. I cried a little. How could I not?

This is a lovely little tale.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Love, caring, community

Penmarris. What a wonderful place :>) Has anyone looked into real estate prices and availability there? ;>)

Thanks so much Susan. This one is as wonderful as the others!

Wow!

Just reading the story, and it is just lovely. I'm glad that there is more coming-and no, you sahouldn't feel any pressure to end this anytime soon! It is wonderful to read about our Penmarris friends again, and I for one would be very happy to read many more chapters. It's a real winner!

Wren

Sleeping In A Cat House?

joannebarbarella's picture

Hey! This is Penmarris, not New Orleans.

Only the loose ends to be tied up for Hannah now. No way the troops will abandon her. I love these soppy, sloppy (I really mean that nicely as I snivel away) Christmas stories with lovely happy endings,

Joanne

dreams and wishes

Another great story. Please don't stop now. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Jeanne

Great story so far 4 parts

Great story so far 4 parts just doesn't seem long enough to bring everything to a good conclusion, I hope you'll expand on this as it'd be nice to get to know Hannah more and see more of the Penmaris posse.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Took the words

right out my mind. I was thinking that she was like a moth to the flame seeking the last place she'd been truly happy, and you went and said it! Also I love how we get to see our dear friends though another eyes. I mean that! Penmarris and all its characters have become dear friends not just to me but I'm sure to others as well. :)
Thanks Sue!
hugs
Grover