Healing a Princess...42 (Sailing the Plains)

Printer-friendly version
Healing a Princess... 42

(Sailing the plains)

By Anistasia Allread

She was so busy looking at the massive vessel that she over looked her Captain on the black and white painted Horse Lord riding a long side.
She gaped in wonder as the large vehicle slowly rolled past. She was even more surprised to find seven more of the land ships trailing behind the first.
Men and women, like spiders climbed up and down the masts and net like ladders. Tonya found it confusing picking out which was which. The males of Blaire all had long hair tied back at the nape, while all of the women had very short hair. All of them wore trousers. The women tended to wear blouses with lace and ruffles around the neck and down the front where the men’s were just laced.

Ch. 42

Tonya sat atop of Ka’mya on the southern bank of the Ozara River and watched as several people carried the body of her sister down the slope to the last of the waiting ferries.
::She’s still alive?:: Tonya questioned Ka’mya for the tenth time.
::She is still alive.:: Ka’mya acknowledged. She just used too much of the gift. She’s going to be recovering for a little while.::
Tonya patted the Princess’s neck with her bandaged hand. ::I’m sorry about your friend.::.
::More of an acquaintance.:: Ka’mya stated with indifference. ::She was finishing up her time on the border patrol. She was heading back to her dam and sire.::
“Highness, we should get you moving. The Captain wants to be at least a league from the river before we camp.” Sergeant Galyway approached. “Half of the retinue has already headed out.”
“I just want to make sure that Monyka is okay, Sergeant.”
“She is unconscious. She just helped to save us all.” Markys stated. “She and those others who showed up. I don’t know how we could have protected the two of you against that. . . that thing.”
::There’s no way they could other than us scattering and hoping that he wouldn’t be able to track us.:: Ka’mya added.
“Come, Highness.” Markys urged. “You too Princess.” He directed to Ka’mya as an afterthought.
“Will that blood mage come back after us?” Tonya asked.
The large Sergeant shook his head. “I don’t know, Highness. I for one, hope not. I can fight against arrows, pikes, swords and flails, but blood magic? I can’t protect you against that.”
::Your Highness.:: So’ryn said sounding far off. ::Ka’mya wanted me to assure you that your half-sister is alive and will be well after some much needed rest and a few meals.::
::Thank you So’ryn.::
::I told you.:: Ka’mya’s ears flicked.
Wet horses carrying people soaked to their skin trudged by. They had panicked when the wind monster came over the rise and ran, jumped and threw themselves into the river looking for escape. Tonya was glad that she was already on this side of the river or she might be one of these soaked souls.
The two Princesses turned away from the Ozara River and joined the Riponians in their quest to find a camp.
“Is the Lady Monyka okay?” one of the servants asked.
“Yes,” Tonya nodded. “They told me that she is just very tired.
“Thank the Gods she is with us.” Another commented.
Tonya nodded and smiled.

* * *

Several tents had been set up and a couple of cook fires were being fussed around when she and Ka’mya crested a rise and made their way down. A small clear brook rushed by, clear and looking cool and refreshing.
“I’m sorry, your Highness,” Rose greeted, rubbing her hands together nervously, “but we had to leave your tent back with the wagons. It was just too big to bring on pack horses.”
“I understand, Rose. I assume one of these other tents will be mine?”
“Yes, your Highness. Right this way.” Rose led the two Princesses through the small makeshift camp to its center. A tent the same size as the others was located in the center of the camp. A good size fire burned ten paces to either end
“You’ll have to share with the Princess Adiah.” Rose explained.
Two soldiers approached and helped Tonya off of Ka’mya. Tonya limped into the tent and sighed. The tent had two small cots and an aisle between the two that one had to walk sideways to squeeze through.
“I know it’s small, but at least you are off the ground, Highness.” Rose smiled. Only a few of the lucky ones will be able to sleep under cover for the next few nights. Some are even setting up a rotation of who gets to sleep under a tent or under the stars.”
“Thank you Rose.” Tonya eased herself on to the cot. Two wool blankets covered each of the cots, and one was folded at the foot for covering her up.
“Dinner won’t be ready for another candle mark or so and it won’t be anything fancy.” Rose warned.
“We’re going to be roughing it for the next few days, I understand.” Tonya nodded. “I think I’ll try and take a nap. It’s been a rough few days. Could you send Annyka in with some warm water. I need her help to wash the wounds on my leg.”
“Of course, your Highness.” Rose ducked out of the tent.
::What are you doing?:: Tonya asked. Ka’mya.
::I’m getting a rub down.:: Ka’mya’s voice sounded relaxed.

--o0o--

Rikki cringed as the ferry collided with the south side of the river bank. He checked back on Monyka, who didn’t seem to even notice the rough landing.
“Easy with her.” He ordered two of Sergeant Galyway’s heavy soldiers. The two men each picked up an end of a cloak that Monyka was laying on creating a make shift litter.
“I’m sure she wouldn’t even notice if they dropped her, Captain.” The man who introduced himself as Kaniel smiled. “She’ll be out of it for a while.”
Rikki mounted So’ryn and led the way off of the ferry. Sergeant Takoda had a cot waiting for them. The two soldiers switched Monyka to the cot covered her with the cloak and picked her up, cot and all.
“Will you ride with me?” Rikki invited.
“Of course, Captain.” Kaniel smiled. A dun colored Horse Lord who had come with the man stepped forward and allowed him to mount.
The Captain and the stranger rode in silence until they had gained some distance from the rest of the Riponian party bringing up the rear.
“First off, Thank you. I’m not sure what you did, but So’ryn says that you were the ultimate force in helping to defeat that blood mage.” Rikki cast a quick look at the man. Wild curly copper hair escaped the leather thong that bound most of it at the base of his neck. Orange freckles covered the skin of the man’s face and arms. Skin sagged on a very lean, long limbed frame.
Kaniel smiled. Like the rest of his body, his smile was long and thin. “It was mostly the work of that brave young woman.” Kaniel insisted. “Not many people with the gift could, or would stand up to a blood mage that powerful.” The stranger chuckled to himself and patted the Horse Lord he was riding on the neck, Rikki thought it was in response to something the Horse Lord had said.
“She is going to need a lot of food. We can start her out with a rich broth, until she is conscious enough to begin feeding herself. Then cheese lots of fruit and vegetables. Luckily honovi season is just starting. Honovi fruit and juice are a great source of the nutrients that she’ll need.”
“Where did you come from?” Rikki inquired, “How did you know where to find us? Or did you just stumble upon us?”
“As you can probably tell, I was blessed by the Gods with the gift of sorcery.” Kaniel started. “I was minding my own business in Eileen when I had a foretelling. I was visited by the Gods and told that I needed to make haste to this bend in the Ozara River.” The coppery stranger caught Rikki’s attention. “Through experience, I’ve learned not to ignore foretellings. So, I packed a bit of food and a change of clothes, contacted A’tif here.” He patted the Horse Lord’s neck. “And began my journey.” Kaniel dug a wedge of cheese out of a hidden pouch and began eating.
“And your friends?” Rikki inquired. “Did they have foretellings too?”
“Delizia and Satara?” Kaniel asked. “I think Satara had something of the sort. She’s a fairly sensitive empathy. She and Delizia live just over a day from here. They are hermits. Mostly because Satara is so sensitive to the emotions of those around her. She told me that she had an overwhelming need to go west the other day.” Kaniel explained. “Delizia only has a little bit of the gift. She is mostly a grower with a bit of healing. She goes where ever Satara goes.”
::Kaniel is one of the most powerful sorcerers in the area.:: So’ryn informed him. ::Most of the others look to him for guidance.::
“I’m still new to even believing much in this gift of yours. We don’t have sorcerers in Riponia, that we know of, so I’ll just have to believe what you are telling me.” Rikki ran a hand through his dark hair. “So’ryn says that you are someone to trust, and I have no reason to doubt him.”
“Horse Lords get that way, don’t they.” Kaniel smirked.
“How is that?” Rikki asked.
“They get under your skin.” Kaniel laughed as if he told a fantastic joke. His laughter died down. “I spoke to Midwife Gemma. She said that your Monyka has only just been opened to the gift?”
“As far as I know.” Rikki nodded.
“She is very powerful.” Kaniel stated. “But she doesn’t know what she is doing, she needs a lot of instruction.” Having finished the cheese, Kaniel brought out some honovi fruit and began eating. “How rude of me.” he looked startled. “Would you like some, Captain?”
Rikki shook his head, “She has to stay with Princess Tonya.” he stated. “I can’t have you taking her off to your tower or where ever it is that you ply your powers.”
“Oh, I don’t plan on taking her away from her sister.” Kaniel stated.
The Captain’s heart skipped a beat. Who told this stranger? “Sister?” Rikki asked.
“She and the Princess do know that they are sister’s don’t they?” Kaniel questioned.
“Who told you?” Rikki demanded. “I told my men to keep it secret.”
“No one told me, Captain. I can just sense it. No one knows?” he questioned.
Rikki shook his head
“Do they know?”
“They just found out two days ago. We all just found out.”
Kaniel nodded.
“Keep it to yourself. I don’t want it getting out until we get safely to Malden.”
“Done.” The copper headed man agreed. “Do the Horse Lords know to keep it a secret?”
“How would they know?”
So’ryn turned his head towards the sorcerer. ::I’ve told my herd to keep it quiet.:: he told Rikki.
Rikki saw Kaniel nod acknowledgment.
“I’ll tell Satara and Delizia to keep it hidden as well.” Kaniel agreed. He tossed the core of the honovi behind him and pulled a carrot out of his hidden pocket and began munching on it.
Rikki was beginning to wonder how much food this sorcerer had hidden away. “So, you want to travel with us to instruct Monyka?”
“She needs to learn the basics so that she doesn’t hurt anyone or herself.”
‘If you are to travel with us, you must follow my direction.” Rikki gave the stranger a hard look. “You must also understand that the Princess’s safety is my primary concern. My soldiers and the servants my second concern. I won’t cater to you and your. . . . friends.”
“Completely understandable, Captain.” Kaniel smiled.
Rikki maintained his gaze for a moment, then nodded. “How soon can we expect Monyka to be unconscious?”
“At least a day.” Kaniel stated. “She really used a lot of her strength to do what she did. Once she’s trained, she won’t have to spend as much.”
Rikki didn’t like to hear that. At least another day of waiting around when he needed to get them all to Malden. This sounded like a problem to be solved by Nevyre. If anyone cold figure it out, the friend of Kadyr should be able to do it.
“Thanks, Kaniel.” Rikki put his hand out and grasped the sorcerers in friendship.

* * *

Grymm, still by Monyka’s side, looked up to see Rikki’s approach.
“Are you alright, Corporal?” Rikki asked.
Grymm nodded, “Yes, Sir.”
“When we get to the camp, I want you to seek out Midwife Gemma, this stranger, Kaniel or even brother Tagyrt. You need to get your face looked at again.”
Grymm self conscious of his mangled face, tried to cover it. “Sorry, Captain, that wind, tore my bandages away.”
“Don’t apologize, Corporal. I just want you to get it cleaned and looked at.” Rikki told him.
::The kid did well.:: So’ryn commented.
::Yes he did.::
“Grymm.” Rikki got the Corporal’s attention again. “You did good. Real good. Thank you.”
“Sir.” Grymm shrugged. “I didn’t have much of a choice.”
::I’ve seen seasoned veterans who couldn’t stand up to a tornado.:: So’ryn stated to Rikki.
“Grymm there is always a choice. I’m just glad that you chose to stay with her.”
“Thank you Captain.” Grymm dipped his head. He looked at So’ryn, “Thank you too, Horse Lord.”
So’ryn tossed his head.
“Look there’s camp now.” Rikki sighed. “I’ll get Monyka looked after, you go get your face looked after.”
“Yes, Sir.”
Rikki, atop of So’ryn, looked down into the encampment. His scouts did a good job finding a good camp location. The stream acted as a bit of a barrier against attack while the surrounding rises hid the camp until you were almost atop of it. Sentries had already been posted, the few tents that they had, erected and fires had already died down to hot coals for cooking.
::Well organized men.:: So’ryn commented.
::Some of them have been doing this for as long or longer than I have.:: Rikki stated. ::How do we incorporate your herd into our camp?:: Rikki asked.
::Most will graze on the outskirts.:: The Horse Lord stated. ::Those who need or seek attention have already figured out the humans in your group who can mind speak and will ask for assistance. Mostly they’ll want rubbed down.::
Rikki chuckled. He watched as two soldiers carried Monyka into one of the central tents. Kaniel and Midwife Gemma followed them into the tent.
::You don’t care for Kaniel do you?:: So’ryn noticed.
::It’s not that I don’t like him. I just don’t really trust him.::
::Is it him you don’t trust, or his sorcery?:: So’ryn inquired.
::I don’t know yet.:: Rikki made his way into camp.

--o0o--

After a full night of sleep, Monyka wavered in and out of consciousness. Anytime she was awake, Gemma and Kaniel plied her with food.
So’ryn explained to him that when a sorcerer used as much energy as Monyka had, that they just needed sleep and food to recover, and that one sorcerer couldn’t heal the other of that type of injury.
The Mul was back at Princess Tonya’s side. The Mul was ordered to bed as soon as he had eaten. The dwarven construct had been through too many scuffles awake and alert for too many days to be effective any more. The deep snores coming from his bedroll had confirmed to Rikki that the Mul had been used too long and too hard. He would have to make sure that the bodyguard got sleep every two days and plenty to eat.
Sergeant Takoda had a cot rigged up between two horses to carry the recovering woman.
Although fairly efficient, the group was a bit slow breaking camp. They had spent so much time sleeping in palaces, inns, barns and the like that they hadn’t really established a routine for camping. So it was late morning by the time they filed out of the small bowl with the stream flowing through.
Cavalryman Symon pulled up beside Rikki. “Captain, we have something coming up behind us.”
“Something?” Rikki questioned.
“I think it is a ship, Sir.”
Rikki, So’ryn and Symon pulled off to the side get out of the flow of traffic. “Where is this thing that you think is a ship?”
::It must be the plains sailors, Captain.:: So’ryn explained.
::Plains sailors?:: Rikki asked. ::You both are confusing me.::
::It is a group of humans who have large wagons that they have fitted with sails to move goods across the plains rather than up the Ozara River.::
::Are they a threat?::
::No.:: So'ryn snorted.
Rikki looked to Symon. “So’ryn says that they are a sort of trader.”
::They might actually be a blessing. Their wagons can move pretty fast when there are favorable winds.::
::Are you suggesting that we hire them to help transport us to Malden?:: Rikki searched the horizon behind him.
::It would give the horses a break and be easier on Monyka.::
“Should we reinforce the rear guard?” Symon inquired.
Rikki shook his head. “I’ll go have a talk with them. Have Sergeant Takoda, Johnack and Yyan fall back to join me.”
::What do I need to know about greeting these traders?:: Rikki asked.
::They are a bit wary of groups on horseback because they are attacked by pirates from time to time.::
::We aren’t pirates.::
::You’ll just have to convince them of that. Of course having Horse Lords with you will help. Very few Horse Lords ever become pirates.::
Rikki grinned at the images running through his mind.

--o0o--

Tonya and Ka’mya joined the strangers hovering around Monyka. “How is she?”
“She is well, Princess.” Midwife Gemma smiled. “She is exhausted. She hadn’t fully regained her strength from the ambush in the woods and then to fight off the blood mages as she did, her body had to declare its self done and forces her to rest.”
“How soon until she has recovered?”
“A couple of days.” Kaniel dipped his head to her. “This is Kaniel, Princess. He is one of the three that came to help Monyka fight off that blood mage. When Monyka is well enough, he will begin instructing her on how to use her new gift.”
Tonya greeted the redheaded man. His eyes darted to the giant armored dwarf shadowing the Princess a few feet away.
A dark skinned woman from Ladamore with very short, very curly hair rode up to join them. “She is resting peacefully, Princess.” The woman smiled. “I can feel that you are worried about her, but I assure you she is okay.”
“This is Satara, Princess.” Kaniel introduced. Kaniel looked around to find that they were relatively alone. “She is an empath.” He added.
::What are they talking about?:: Tonya questioned
::An empathy is someone with the gift, who can sense and read emotions.:: Ka’mya explained. ::Even with Monyka unconscious, she can sense how Monyka is feeling.::
Satara smiled at the Horse Lord Princess and then up at Tonya.
::Can she read my emotions?::
::Most definitely. She reads people’s emotions as well as I can mind speak with you.::
Tonya’s heart skipped a beat. That was almost as bad as someone reading your mind. She looked at Satara and tried to force a smile.
The dark woman smiled showing very white teeth. “Don’t worry, Princess. I try not to read people if I can help it. It actually begins to wear on me after a while. “
Tonya just nodded and smiled. She looked to Kaniel and Gemma. “Please let me know when she is better.”
“Of course, Princess.”
Tonya and Ka’mya made their way forward in the column. They were half way to the front when they saw Nevyre intently studying something.
“How are you, Nevyre?” Tonya inquired. “Are you recovered from your head injury?”
“Mostly, Princess.” Nevyre smiled. “I am still plagued with headaches.”
“What are you watching?” Tonya asked.
Nevyre pointed forward. “Adiah is trying to take that yellow kerchief out of that soldier’s pocket without him noticing.”
“What ever for?” Tonya asked.
“She’s trying to learn how to pick pocket.” Nevyre explained the situation in the Under Kingdom and her subsequent training. “This time I’ve sewn little bells onto the squares of cloth.” Nevyre snickered.
“Some how, this seems wrong for a princess of Truno to be engaged in.” Tonya was appalled.
Nevyre chuckled as the soldier unconsciously reached around and patted the kerchief to make sure it was still there. “She has been working on this one for over an hour. The soldier is very conscious of it. Like a wealthy man with a purse.”
“Does the Captain know that you are training her to be a common thief?” Tonya demanded.
“I believe so. I know that the Lieutenant did. He even helped her just before he died.”
“I’m going to have to speak to Captain Kalhoun and Sergeant Takoda about this.”
Nevyre dipped his head. “She won’t actually be lifting purses and the like, but it could give her some new ways of taking on problems in court or when she eventually becomes a queen.”
“I don’t see how?”
“It helps you learn diversion so that you can accomplish your goal. It makes you use your brain to be creative in solving issues. It teaches consequences for getting caught.” Nevyre listed.
“I’ll still speak with Captain Kalhoun about this.”
“I understand, Princess.”
A soldier raced by and reined in next to Sergeant Galyway who was leading the column. The Sergeant nodded and changed their direction to a more southerly route.
::What’s going on?:: Tonya asked Ka’mya
::I’m not sure.:: Let me ask So’ryn.::
Tonya looked to the South. She then scanned the column looking for her Captain who she hadn’t seen since this morning. Apparently he slept on the ground outside her tent. On the ground.
A strange part of her missed seeing him at the head of the column in his sharp looking Riponian blues.
::Some Plains Sailors have been spotted and are heading east as well.:: Ka’mya informed her. ::It looks like we will be escorting them at least as far as the Ozara.::
::Escorting them?:: Tonya questioned. :Who are they?::
::Just some traders who take goods to and from the Ozara and Spruce Springs to trade.::
::Why do they need an escort?::
::It’s complicated. We’ll be meeting up with them shortly.::
She found herself scanning the horizon to the west looking as much for Rikki as she was for these Plains Sailors.

* * *

Sergeant Galyway called a halt when they came to two large ruts In the middle of the grassy plains. “Everyone dismount and rest your horses.” The Sergeant ordered.
Tonya looked around a bit confused. They were out in the middle of nowhere. The only distinguishing landmarks were the deep ruts in the grass.
::What caused those?:: Tonya asked.
::Those are the tracks that the Plains Sailors use.” Ka’mya explained.
The ruts were easily as deep as her knees and in places, looked to come up to her mid thigh. Grass free the dirt was compacted to nearly the density of stone.
Annyka was standing by her side in mere moments with her walking stick. Three cavalrymen still mounted, took up positions around her but allowed her room so that she didn’t feel confined. Kama Takar however stayed five paces behind her. His body always looked relaxed as he casually followed her, but his eyes never stopped moving as he scanned and re-scanned the area.
Taking her walking stick, Tonya climbed down into the rut and up the other side. Four paces to the other side was a nearly identical rut carved into plain.
Tonya paused and looked curiously at the ground then around her. She could feel the ground beneath her feet vibrating, rumbling. Then she noticed that she could hear the rumbling as well as feel it.
::Earth shake?:: she questioned Ka’mya.
::Plains Sailors.:: Ka’mya was oblivious, as she enjoyed being rubbed down and brushed by her servants.
“Your Highness, may wish to rejoin us. The ships are almost here.” Sergeant Galyway motioned.
“Yes, Sergeant.” Tonya sighed. She made her way back across the deep scar and over to where Ka’mya was drinking and having her hind legs brushed.
The rumbling grew louder. The servants, retinue and soldiers all looked west. She followed their gaze to see what looked to be the sail of a ship rise over the grass.
::They really are ships?::
::As close as one can get and still be on land.::
The prow of what looked like a ship soon appeared below the large splayed sails of white cloth. The land ship soon crested a small rise and started down the opposite side. Tonya stared in wonder at the large wheels that held up the large boat looking wagon.
A smile crossed her lips as she noticed Sergeant Takoda standing in the prow of the ship waving, his Riponian blue coat standing out against the white backdrop of the sails.
Figures of men and women began scampering all over ropes and along the sails as they began to roll up the canvas. The large land ship, losing the power of the wind, began to slow down.
She was so busy looking at the massive vessel that she over looked her Captain on the black and white painted Horse Lord riding a long side.
She gaped in wonder as the large vehicle slowly rolled past. She was even more surprised to find seven more of the land ships trailing behind the first.
Men and women, like spiders climbed up and down the masts and net like ladders. Tonya found it confusing picking out which was which. The males of Blaire all had long hair tied back at the nape, while all of the women had very short hair. All of them wore trousers. The women tended to wear blouses with lace and ruffles around the neck and down the front where the men’s were just laced.
::Pretty impressive, isn’t it?:: Ka’mya interrupted her thoughts.
::Wonderful.::
“Your Highness.” Rikki bowed from the back of So’ryn. A smile flashed behind his eyes. “I’d like you to meet Captain Bowen.”
Tonya followed the Captain’s hand to see a man swing from the poop deck on the back of the ship down to the ground and slide through the grass to make a formal bow before her.
“Your Highness.” Bowen greeted. “Will you honor me by riding on my ship?”
“Tonya looked from the bowed Captain to the Captain of her body guard. Rikki smiled and nodded.
“Thank you Captain. I would enjoy riding on your ship.” The Captain Bowen like all of the men of Blaire had long hair gathered and tied at the base of his neck. The Captain also like most of the men over eighteen years had a neatly trimmed beard.
“And this is Ka’mya, Princess of the Horse Lords” Rikki introduced.
“May I touch your mind, Princess?” Captain Bowen bowed even deeper.
Tonya watched as Ka’mya and Captain Bowen stared silently at one another.
The Captain smiled then bowed again, this time touching his head to the grass before leaping to his feet. “I’ll have a hoist rigged for you, your Highness.” He directed at Tonya.
“Thank you, Captain Bowen.”
Rikki gave Galyway a few orders then turned back to Tonya. “I have made arrangements to travel with these traders at least as far as the Ozara.” He explained. Tonya found herself studying the shape of his lips as he spoke rather than concentrating on what he was saying. “So’ryn says that it will be faster and easier to travel. “
“Faster than Horse Lords?”
“We only have a few Horse Lords the rest of our mounts are tired. Especially after yesterday.”
::The Captain is correct, Tonya.::Ka’mya agreed. ::Besides, Horse Lords aren’t beasts of burden. We don’t really like carrying humans. We only did so because we understood the haste that you needed.::
Tonya nodded to her Captain. “Okay, Rikki.” She smiled.
::Why don’t you just claim him and get this over with?:: Ka’mya sighed reading the obvious thoughts running through Tonya’s mind.
::I can’t. He’s the Captain of my body guard.:: Tonya blushed. ::It would be like you claiming So’ryn.;;
::I had thought about it a time or two.:: Ka’mya revealed.
::Really?:: Tonya looked at the Palomino Horse Lord.
::He has great lines and strong legs.:: Ka’mya stated.
::Why haven’t you?::
::Just haven’t found the time or opportunity. He’s not of equal station, so it's not like I have to bond to him.::
“Ready for you, Highness.” Captain Bowen called from the deck of his ship.
Sergeant Galyway held a rope that had a piece of planking attached to it. “You can either stand or sit on this and they will hoist you up to the deck.” The Sergeant explained.
Tonya eyed the contraption. There had to be a more dignified way to get aboard. She sighed and stepped onto the planking.
“I’ll be going up with you, Highness.” Rikki called as he approached.
“What?” Tonya questioned.
“For safety reasons.” Rikki stepped onto the board his feet outside of hers, his chest supporting her back, his arms wrapped around her shoulders and grasped the rope.
“I can do it myself.” Tonya protested just above a whisper.
“I know, I haven’t been near you since the other night in Lyonsgate.”
“You are the one who left.” Tonya hissed then gulped as they were lifted from the ground.
“Just because I can’t be with you doesn’t mean that I don’t want to be with you.” Her Captain spoke.
“You want to be with me?” Tonya asked.
“I do. But I can’t. You were meant for a Prince or King. Not a soldier. So’ryn says that I’m being ridiculous and that I should do as I wish as long as you wish it.”
Tonya gasped. “he did?”
Rikki nodded.
“Ka’mya said the same thing.” Tonya admitted.
The hoist swung easily to hover over the ship’s deck. Then lowered Rikki waited until the plank was firmly on the deck before stepping back allowing Tonya room. “I think we confide to much in the Horse Lords.”
“Welcome aboard Suri, Princess.” Captain Bowen greeted. He fell to his knees as did all the men and women working on the deck.
The Captain touched his forehead to the deck then jumped to his feet. The sailors did the same and then went about their work.
The deck of the ship looked very similar to the deck of other ships that she had been on. Except this one was stacked with crates and bales of cargo
“Princess, would you join me back on the quarter deck. We’ll be out of the way and we really need to get moving. There’s a storm coming in.”
Tonya nodded. “Your land ship is named Suri?”
“Yes. It is one of the old languages for beautiful.” Bowen beamed.
Kama Takar was at her side along with Annyka and Sergeant Takoda as they followed the Captain to the raised deck.
Tonya turned to Takar. “Would you mind giving me a lift?”
The Mul dipped his head and hoisted her lightly to the deck where Sergeant Takoda took her arm to make sure that she didn’t fall back.
“Storm?” She asked.
“The Captain says that he can feel it coming.” Sergeant Takoda shrugged.
::Do you know anything about a coming storm?:: she asked Ka’mya.
There was a silence for a few moments. Tonya was beginning to wonder if the Horse Lord was ignoring her when she finally answered. ::Kaniel says that there is definitely a storm. A pretty bad one. He says it will hit this evening.::
Tonya watched as the horses were quickly unloaded, their loads being hauled up and stowed on the decks of the land ships.
“Will we be loading the horses too?” Tonya inquired.
“No, your Highness.” Sergeant Takoda shook his head. “There’s no room. We’ll have a few soldiers tie them in a string and follow us.”
“What about the Horse Lords?”
“Some will be able to keep up. A few will stay behind to help with the horses.”
Tonya was just familiarizing herself with the land vessel when the sails were being let out. A moment later they billowed out.
“Hang on, your Highness.” Takoda warned.
The ship seemed to groan as it fought being moved. Suddenly there was a little jerk and the ship began to slowly move forward. Slowly but steadily the land ship began to move faster and faster.
“The wind is pushing us?” Tonya questioned.
“Yes, Princess.” Bowen grinned. The wind blew tendrils that had escaped the binding at the nape of his neck around his head.
“What’s generating the wind? Isn’t the ocean to the east of us?”
“Good observation, Princess,” Bowen left his post and joined her at the short railing. “Behind us is a gap between the Kalahan mountains and Lakemere.” The wind funnels through that gap and picks up speed. It is then released as it pushes out on this side of the mountains. The good thing about that is that it provides wind for me and my ships to move merchandise between Spruce Springs and Malden. The bad thing is that it mixes with the air coming in from the ocean and creates storms; sometimes violent storms. The one coming in is going to be a big one.”
“Where do you ride out the storms?” Tonya asked.
“Most of the time we are stuck out here in the middle of nowhere so we ride them out either on the ship or under it.”
“Under the ship?”
“There’s enough room to crawl around under there.” Bowen explained. “Using some of the canvas, we’ll build up a tent over the bowsprit. If it gets real for a long time, we’ll build up a fire under that to cook and to keep us warm.”
“Will we have to do that tonight?” Tonya asked.
Bowen looked at the sky and then to the west. If we can make it to Vacana, we can use the ruins as a way of sheltering us. If not, then we’ll definitely have to drop anchor and go below.”
Tonya smirked. “You have an anchor?”
“Of course. Don’t want Suri to shift or move in a storm and crush someone.” Bowen explained. “Please excuse me, Princess, I have business to attend to.” Bowen jumped over the rail and to the deck below.
Tonya closed her eyes, took a deep breath and smelled the grass. The air did seem to smell like a storm. She wondered what kind of storms they had out here. She opened her eyes and looked through the ropes and around sails to see the grass rolling before her. It was almost if she were on an ocean ship. The rolling of the land ship felt wrong compared to the rocking of an ocean vessel.
::What is it like up there?:: Ka’mya asked.
::It feels wonderful.:: Tonya smiled. ::Where are you?::
::To your right and a little behind you.::
Tonya turned to see the Palomino Horse Lord princess cantering through the grass, keeping pace with the plains ship. Her white mane fluttered like a flag behind her. Her white tail, raised behind her waved like a banner. Tonya marveled at the Princess’s beautiful lines and strong muscles. Suddenly she became very jealous of her new friend. This Horse Lord Princess was beautiful, intelligent and could run like the wind. While she was stuck with a walking stick, a severe limp, and constant pain. She hadn’t been in pain as much over the past few days which seemed strange to her because she usually couldn’t ride Comyn for more than half a candle mark or more. The past day and a half she spent on the back of Ka’mya and barely felt a twinge.
A woman wearing trousers and with short, almost shaved chestnut hair stepped forward with a goblet on a small metal tray. “Honovi punch, Princess?”
“Thank you.” Tonya took the goblet and tasted the punch before drinking it. She gave the goblet back to the woman with a smile. “That was wonderful.”
The woman solemnly dipped her head and gave a small curtsy, which looked weird in trousers, before turning away.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow, what an epic journey.

Wow, what a wide variety of adventures in this story. I have high hopes for Rikki and Tonya. The imagination the writer shows in this story is so fascinating.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

Healing a Princess... 42 (Sailing the Plains)

Love the variety of cultures in your story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So It WAS Kaniel...

...who led the reinforcements last chapter. (And for once the heroic trio consists of a male leader with two women, rather than the other way around.) So Monyka can begin her training that much sooner. (And she has now seen or at least felt them in action with her against Maskalah.)

Still not sure where Kadyr's image came from last chapter, though I suppose Kaniel and company could have found it in Monyka's mind, known who he was and then offered it as reassurance.

Enjoyed the land ships. I've seen the concept before, but this is a better description than I'd previously seen. It sounds as though they're capable of carrying the party all the way to Malden, though they've only committed as far as "the Ozawa", which I assume is another river. Still, if they're close enough for winds from the ocean to contribute to storms, that'd suggest that either they're closer to Malden than I thought or that the land is relatively flat the rest of the way.

It's suggested here that the honovi punch may be helping Tonya as well as Monyka. And the horse lords seem to have a logical take on the Tonya-Rikki relationship; I'm not sure how Tonya's royal parents would feel about it, but she'd hardly be the first royal to separate a love affair from a prospective political marriage. (Not that I expect anything less than the two getting married in a romance like this one.)

Eric