Emmett/Elizabeth part 3

Printer-friendly version

In the dead of night a lone wolf runs seemingly non stop through a forest lit only by the moonlight. Such occurances are not unusual. What is unusual is that the wolf has a rolled up parchment in its mouth.

Ding Ding Ding.

The glowing metal rod is starting to get flat while the three boys watch on entranced. The blacksmith inspects the metal for something puts in back into the forge where his apprentice uses the blower to pump in some air. While the metal is reheated the blacksmith puts some more black ash onto the anvil. He pauses for a time only he knows then he pulls the glowing metal out again places it onto the anvil and strikes it with his large hammer sending up the sparks and flames as he does so.

The boys all hope this time it is a sword. They always hope for that however usually it is some latch, tool, or hinge. They know already it is not to be a horseshoe. The shoes would not be done with ash.

Emmett shifts a bit beside Lawrence who then bumps into John who has the new willow rods for fishing when it is a bit warmer. Johns father's leg is recovering well thanks he says to Emmetts mothers poultaces and herb compresses. Lars regals the boys of the long and boring, which they agree, process of counting out the various coins against the letters of trade. All so that his father could prepare the proper amount of gold coins for the High King and Queen. Lars said that the trade with the market town 3 days ride by cart was good this month. They got good prices on all the wares from the town.

The way the town worked was that they would give the Lawrences father, Baron Lendal all the wares they had prepared to be traded. In turn the Baron would write down all these into a ledger which his wife kept. With his few guardsmen they would go on the journey and trade the various items at the market town. Other coins would also be changed into the kings gold with the count of that town. Then the Baron would return to the town and give an accounting in the town square, keeping the amount of tax needed for the king. The townspeople would usually give back a small portion leftover for the lord and his lady for the work of transporting it all. It was only fair.

They had all heard of other lands where the townspeople were whipped for whatever coin or good they had for the taxes. Those lands also boasted many a brigand, thief, or according to rumor assassins. They all preferred this system where peace was in the land. Many a minstrel would come by the lords manor which also doubled as the towns inn. These Minstrels would pay for their meal and wine with stories of other lands. This was just the way things were.

To the three boys however all it meant was annoying chores at the worst times. It seemed that the metal was to be another hinge. Disappointed the boys picked up their various willow rods bits of string and whatever they though would best lure the fish of the stream onto the little hooks. The three boys wandered down to the stream. Arriving at their favorite spot they set about cleaning up there preffered sitting spots. Opening their tunic belts they pulled out the few items they had secretted away for a mid day meal if they didn't catch anything. Which was the norm actually.

"Emmett do you know if the lady Elisabeth is to return soon" Asked John while settling on his chunk of shaped log.

I just about inhaled the string I had just finish setting on my rod.

"Who is lady Elisabeth? Why did she not pay respects to my father?" Lars asks.

I have been trying to forget about it.

"Oh Lars she is the epitome of beauty. Long flowing gourgous raven hair and a doll like face. I just can't stop thinking about her. When my da got hurts I ran to Emmett's for his mother to help my dad and I did spy her getting fitted in a lovely gown." Emmett is almost sick with the idea that his friend is besotted with him.

"Doll like face and flowing black hair eh?" Lars has this puzzled look on his face. He then stands up and drops his rod.

"Come there is something I want you guys to see." We follow Lars at a run. I do not know what is so important.

We soon make it to his house. Once inside we are led to a room we have never been in before. It is his fathers study. Over the fireplace is a painting of a woman. She is incredibly pretty. The face is just incredibly feminine and the is long and flowing. It is almost black in color.

"John is that her?" Asks Lars. I have never seen him like this.

"Yes well not quite the face is a little different and her hair is definatly blacker but yes thats her."

"It can't be her she would be too old."

"Who is that Lars?" John asks.

"That is the Lady Emily Langly missing now for some 14 years. The Crown Prince has put out a sizable bounty on any information leading to her location. From what you said this girl may be her daughter."

"Treasure!" John has led us on numerous occasions searching for buried gold, gems, silver.

"Emmett you must tell us what you know of this Lady Elisabeth."

"Uhhhhh" I'm in shock I look like that as a girl. I begin to get a bit dizzy and the room does not seem so stable.

"Emmett....EMMETT!" Darkness claims me.

More to be added just taking a break.

up
48 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Emmett Elisabeth

Waiting...

Waiting......

Waiting.........

:)