The mysterious case of the missing manhoods. Part 4 the replies

Printer-friendly version

Lord Everett Carl Stewart Envoy of his majesty King George.

Dear Evert,

I see know why his majesty placed this great responsibility in your hands, If anyone was born to be a diplomat it was you.

I have acted a fool. That it was in defense of my handsome son, now by stunning daughter is but part of the explanation, not an excuse. That I drank more than was prudent is also to my shame.

This metaphysical calamity impacts both our houses it is obvious. I am fortunate in having another son who may still be groomed to succeed me. Regrettably that is not true for yourself unless you can use your remarkable powers of speech to convince his majesty and Parliament to allow a female to hold the title until such time as a male heir is of age. But how likely is that? As likely as the Prince of Wales acting as a guardian to his father the king! Yet I wonder.

When I think lucidly and without prejudice I am forced to ponder beliefs I held absolute truths. One is that women are by nature unfit to rule. We were both raised this way. This is *the way of the world* as I explained to Francis as to why she cannot inherit my title. My dear wife put me to shame by mentioning Queen Elizabeth and Catherine the Great of Russia and asked if THEY were unfit to rule. I admit to walking off in a foul mood in a most ungentlemanly manner. I did them both an injustice that day.

The fruit of our loins may no longer men but their minds are as sharp, possibly more so, certainly my Francis is. My wife says Francis is learning her feminine lesions at a dizzying speed while continuing her former scholarly studies apace. She no less as intelligent as before the calamity, that is a certainty. Her ladyship is convinced his, her mind shines brighter than before.

I would take solace in this news nay celebrate my son now daughter's intellectual gift if it were not bound in a most disturbingly attractive body. I... I find it hard to be in the same room with her as she is the very image of my bride that day we first met. That is not quite true, she is what my heart and soul pictured my wife to be, my wife perfected. She is my heart's desire made flesh. She is damnation.

You cannot imagine the torture to see one's progeny twisted this way. That I find myself attracted to my own daughter sickens me. I have never strayed from my wife, NEVER. I admit we were rakes in our youth. Many a woman shared my bed and I pray they all enjoyed it. But I have been steadfast to my bride and I have had opportunities to stray as you well know.

I fear this may shock you, brother, but then we have always been honest with the other. When I see my new daughter I want, I feel compelled to do things, unnatural things, things that disgust me and would destroy my family. I takes all my will and the love of my wife to sustain me against these bedevilments.

These transformations must be the product of formidable magic. I cannot see them as anything but deliberate attacks upon our families honor and welfare, my brother. Someone or perhaps some demonic presence abhors yours and mine and has sold their soul for the means of revenge. My wife confirms that Francis too feels unnatural compulsions, to proffer herself to men like a wanton. She has so far resisted but with great difficulty. A credit to her fortitude. I pray your daughter has been spared these compulsions. They distress my daughter terribly.

If I had but listened to the wizards who examined my daughter. We warned this might happen and they urged the entire household be examined to if other mischief had been worked upon us. I have endeavored to do take this advice belatedly but wizards are scarce of late.

If we can safely and surreptitiously I agree to this meeting with you and both of our daughters. I would advise both our wives be in attendance so that they might inspire us to our best behavior. Perhaps one or more of your wizards or ours might also be close at hand to protect us from further magical attacks and to better determine the nature of the curses, the enchantments placed upon us. By combining our knowledge perhaps our malefactor may be exposed and a plan of action agreed to.

Reply via your most trusted servant and take every care to seal the document against detection. You remember the Chinese puzzle box in your house we played with as boys? Use it to conceal the time and place of our family's meeting and any other vital information. Send it along with an accompanying letter with less dangerous information with it as a concealment. As a diplomat you must be well versed in this. If needs be use that code we used as boys in our *secret dispatches*.

I have instructed my lawyer to cease his efforts to bring suit against you and yours. I find he had already done so, anticipating my return to sanity. He is bringing suit against the school in hopes of compelling them to assist us in exposing the truth of our daughters betrayal.

Together we will survive and prosper. Please forgive me for my folly. I knew your daughter was and remains honorable yet I persisted in my vitrol. To insult her and your fair wife is beneath me and I will make amends.

You brother and servant,

Lord Francis Lane-Steward II
* * * *

Dearest Colleen,

I feel I must be brief as the need to reply is urgent. I thank you for the letter of introduction to your wizards. I shall consult with them at the earliest. This may not be as soon as I wish as they are busy at present assisting in the search for those responsible for the gruesome and inexplicable murders and disappearances near the city port.

It disturbs me greatly this waxing and waning of your fathers moods. That your mother is similarly depressee nay fearful is most worrisome.
At least my father has come to his senses.

I must dash. My maid whishes me to see some strange girl who will tell me an incredulous tale but my maid insists it is true and that I listen. She has proven a good servant and friend in the past and my crisis so I am inclined to believe her.

Your loving cousin forever

Francis

* * * *

(John in Wauwatosa)

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Developments at last

It seems a little dangerous to be putting ino writing a few of his(Lord Everett) personal fantasies.

Good story thank you.

LoL
Rita

I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac.
'Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there's a dog.'

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Ah hah!

Mayhap we shall learn who has authored this peculiar predicament, and the reasons for having done so!

Wren