Starship 22

Printer-friendly version

Have you ever found yourself losing several hours of writing to a power failure?
I hate it, wasn't recoverable either.

So I had to rewrite it, raw to the bone it is.
It also came out quite different.

So, if you don't like this version I will try to understand.

I promise that the one I lost was better..

=

As Jeff felt asleep that night he did it in another cave. Royals drones had found what Royal called a ‘perfectly defensible position’ and they had moved to it with no delay. Janelle and Jeff now in constant communication, he updated her on what had happened since Royal had found himself forced to sedate her.

“I did?” she said sounding unbelieving.

“I’m sorry Janelle, but as Suit stopped you, you had just started the shut down sequence for Royal.”

Janelle, who had no memory of anything like that found it hard to believe. Her genetic ‘programming’, done before her birth, was quite extensive involving a lot of mental controls, making it extremely hard to force her to do anything against her will. But as Royal played back its recordings, showing her, she found no choice but to accept it.

“And now?” She asked. “Can I trust myself?”

“Yes. You do not have to worry My Lady. All compulsions are severed and your neurological activity shows no indications of anything untoward.” Came Royals voice.

“Thank God for that.”

“I would not have woken you up if I was worried.” Continued Royal.
=

For Mountain time could not be, alternatively, for Mountain all time was one.

Time was to it more as road signs, open invitations for mind travel. Where it was all roads was taken simultaneously. With the now, the past and the future intermingled. Universes were to Mountain mere possibilities, ideas and bubbles, only defined by the order its mind chose to impose upon itself.

Its reality where time was not existent, your free will becoming as a chimera amongst chimeras. Still, we can comfort ourselves with that even where time has no meaning, indeterminacy exist.

Janelle and Jeff had a lot to talk about .

As he told her about her actions before, she didn’t know what to think at first. She found it so hard to imagine that she, fostered by suits, learning mind control from infancy, could be so easily overtaken, whereas Jeff?

“It scares me.” She said finally.

Yeah, I feel the same.” Jeff agreed.

And in a way he did have a similar experience. He hadn’t went through the same hell as her maybe? But he knew that he carried a Argel, somewhere. If not the ringlet anymore, still having gotten its imprint on, or was it in, his mind?

“Don’t worry Janelle, you’re well now. Royal would never take a risk with you.”

And neither would I, he thought as he took in the sight of her. Finding a deep comfort in having her back aside him.

“I hope you’re right.” Janelle mumbled as she once more, in vain, tried to remember.

There was just a void where her memories should be, before Royal had found it for best to sedate her.

The place they had relocated too was a cave, inside a cave. Royal had finally decided on it as it offered two exits, and gave them the high position. They had made their camp on a shelf, some twenty meters above the uneven floor. Royal directly placing all drones on red alert, outside the exits, himself constantly evaluating their reports.

They had done what they could to secure the location Jeff thought. But considering the way this thing seemed to be able to create portals? if now that was what it did? Well, let it suffice that Jeff found a hard time relaxing, and so found Janelle.

“From ashes into the fire, isn’t it?” Jeff trying to make a half hearted joke out of it.

“Indeed it is. I hope the drones Royal sent finds a portal somewhere.”

“Yeah, there must be a portal, or at the very least a way out of this cave system.”

While Jeff tried his best to act assertive, for Janelles sake, he secretly doubted. He had this growing feeling of them caves not being exactly ‘normal’. Maybe there was no ‘above’ here? He tried to shrug of his worries as he sat down beside Janelle, inhaling the welcome aroma of their late evening meal in the tent the suits had raised for them. He definitely didn’t want her to feel any worse than what she already felt, and to be honest, he didn’t want to feel worse either.

“You know, one think that we could deserve a break sometime?”

Janelle looked at him, smiling slightly. She was glad that he was there, she missed her parents terribly but having Jeff beside her made up for a lot of the other things going wrong.

“Shh, eat first, talk later.”

As Jeff went to sleep that night, if one could call it a night when the light never seemed to change, he wished he had Janelle in his arms. But the intimate time they had had before now seemed as gone with the wind? She had made it all too clear that she needed to sleep alone, going to her own bed in the adjoining room.

“Sweet dreams?” Jeff called as he, surprisingly enough finding himself quite drowsy, turned around in the bed to switch of his reading lamp.

“You too Jeff.” Was the last thing he remembered hearing before sleep took him.

It was a strange sort of dream, as if he was awake, or even more awake if that now made any sense. The Mountain seemed to stretch straight up in the sky, almost as if punching a hole in it, losing itself to infinity. And the same seemed to be as he looked down. It just went on downwards, no ground to be seen anywhere.

But there was something reminding him of valleys, stretches of green he thought? With trees, and maybe animals too? But it was so far away. He had found himself on a ledge this time. Having a trail, worn of use, stretching from it forever upwards. Funny thing though, no trail leading up to the ledge? But anyway, he thought to himself, it was just a dream, right? Not as if it being real, right?

“Jeff?”

As he turned around he saw Janelle coming towards him.

“Yess. I did it!”

“Where are we?” And what did he mean with that, she wondered, as she walked up to him. She had started to find the reality transformations quite irritating by now. But the mountain was magnificent and hearing Jeffs incoherent answers she realised that it all had to be a dream.

‘I did it! My dream’ he though, and ‘And her too?’

“Don’t worry Janelle, you're in my dream.”

“You’re not real?”

“No dear, it’s you that’s not real.”

“Really?” She gave him a little smile as she ever so innocently put her arms around him, nimbly tumbling him, using a judicially placed leg behind his.

“So, that was you too?” she asked innocently, as she watched his confusion growing, finding himself on the ground.

As Jeff thought about it he realised that this dream might be trickier than he first had expected. It seemed as he only had little, to no, control over it.

“I should have listened better to Royal.” He muttered to himself.

“Meditation, that’s the trick.”

Oh yes, this was most definitly one of her better dreams Janelle decided, as she looked down on his defeated figure.

“Stay..” she said, feeling surprisingly naughty.

As Jeff didn’t move a muscle she found her deepest beliefs vindicated.

This was a chance to do those things she only had day dreamed of she thought wickedly. She and Jeff hadn’t become lovers, as in the full appreciation of that word. She had found herself hesitating, at some intuitive level knowing that if they ever found their way back her life would re-establish itself. Him being too far below her in standing, she being a pure blooded noble through generations, of the royal court.

Not that she thought him inferior, but the convention of the empire demanded her to marry inside her own circle. Allowing herself to go too far would not only hurt her, but also Jeff, and she liked him, maybe a little too much for her own good? That was also why she had found it for good to sleep in separate rooms.

But in a dream? What hurt could it be? She would never tell him after all.

“Undress yourself, serf..” She most royally commanded, surprising herself with her assurance.

Jeff, who still was lying on the ground wondering what had hit him, trying to center himself as Royal had taught him, found himself taken aback by her new, commanding, presence. This dream of his was definitely of a somewhat different cast he thought a little nervously. But as he looked up at her, seeing her mischievous smile and over it two tingling green eyes lovingly devouring him, he decided that he liked it too much, any which way, to care.

"AttentioOon.."

“F*ck Royal, and f*ck meditation.” He whispered as he jumped up, attentively watching her.

“Yes Maa’m, your wish my command.”

He slowly started to take of his clothes, covertly observing her. fascinated over her agitation as he came closer to, well, let’s just call it the naked truth. He saw that she found it quite enjoyable, her breathing increasing, and deciding to up the stakes a little he suddenly stopped, arriving at his few last garments.

“I’m sorry My Lady, but this is as far as I will go. I do have my male dignity to consider..” Sounding most righteous as he said it, inwardly wondering what her next move would be?

Janelle became quite incensed as she realised that he had stopped.

Now, who did he think he was?
Jeff??

Didn't he know he was a dream? And that she was the one dreaming him? She would not have him refuse her! She stood perfectly still, momentarily, indecisively studying him. Rebellion, she finally decided, that what it was, full blown rebellion! All as she stole a glint now and then of that, oh so nicely shaped body, thoughtfully weighting her choices. Her eyes becoming increasingly stern, getting an almost imperial gleam to them.

“If my Lady reciprocated though, it would inspire?” came a voice, most apologetically.

“ Reciprocate?”

“The weather is very nice, My Lady. Quite warm in fact.” He coyly encouraged. And it was true, it felt as full summer to him. Even though there was no sun to be seen he could still feel the warm sunshine warm his bare skin.

Now it was Janelles turn to be taken aback. That her dream could bring with it such unreasonable demands. She was a lady after all, not a common serving wench. She all so rightly found her pride, and blue blood, raise to the demands of the occasion.

“How dare you.”

As Jeff looked at her he saw her proud, slightly pert, nose raise. Sticking big metaphorical holes in the sky as she stared him down. Damned, he was good. No more meditations needed for him. Royal could go pull some old mat over himself. He was in the groove.

“I’m soo magic.” He smugly congratulated himself, belatedly realising that he had said it out loud.

Now that Janelle could agree on. He was hers figment of imagination, and a most naughty one too. She had to establish control.

“Yes you are.” She answered just as smugly as she leaned down and pulled of his last try for decency.

“And mine.”

From that point there was no return, Janelle soon finding herself laying on the grass beside him, with them both fast losing all control over their senses. Her touches light as butterflies caressing, and with her sweet scent growing on him she filled his whole world. All thoughts lost in the glow of their lovemaking he finally gave in to the sensual pleasures of them exploring each other in every way imaginable, and some new.

She was as all he ever had dreamed off, no, more than he had dreamed. And as he looked into her eyes they seemed to grow, making him feel as if he was tumbling down into a green loving universe, encompassingly, lovingly, seeing him for what he was, and still loving him.

Ever so slowly he started to undress her, giving each inch of her body the full and undivided attention it deserved. As she felt his hand move to gently caress her nipples she breathlessly, languidly stretched, as a cat purring under the full heat of his gaze.

“Do your best, serf.” She admonished.

“Yes My Lady. We serfs live to please.”

And as they finally consummated their relation it was as if they already knew each other, being old comrades. Even though it was their first, for them both, neither found it awkward. Their bodies easily adapting to each others needs and demands. It was as if they was meant to this from their birth, and maybe, that was the truth? Janelle had had her fill of romantic novels, heroes storming the castle, rescuing ladies from the evil might of dragons. But this was real, and so different from anything she ever could have imagined.

After they finished they were satisfied to stay in the grass, letting the sunshine cool them down. Janelle and Jeff both finding it increasingly hard to believe that it only was a dream. If it was, Janelle thought, then she could only wish for reality to be as good, all her musing over their separation of rank now more reminding her of the confused thoughts of an spoiled child.

“I l*rve you.” carefully whispered, as he nibbled her left earlobe.

“Mmm, and soo tasty . .” in a slightly clearer voice

“I love you too, goofy.” she whispered.

=

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

In spite of the rawness...

Still a good story. Earned a kudo from me :)

--SEPARATOR--

Peace be with you and Blessed be

P.S.

FIRST!!! X-P

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Thnx

Thanks Loki, and the comment was most appreciated. It's nice to know that it 'works', although reading what I put up first almost always will change a little later, as I see my mistakes and the way it flows. But, more the pleasure, that you found it acceptable even so :)

(Sorry, the 'k' (and '0') sort of disappear, or becomes doubled, now and then on my keyboard, and as 'now' and 'know' both are perfectly usable words my spelling checks miss that at times. The laptop is old, and the keyboard even eh, older?)
=

As 'both' and 'booth', damn it..
:)

If This Level of Consciousness...

...so to speak, can only be reached in a dream-state, that would suggest that Royal and Suit can't get there. But Planet probably can, since he patterned himself after Janelle.

(And I wonder if Slade's trapped truthsayer is going to turn up there; I think she's the only other dreamer we've encountered.)

Since we've been told that there's no concept of time on the mountain (though apparently there's duration), we don't know what if anything is happening back in the cave: Jeff and Janelle may still be there, enjoying their dreams, or they may be there having not (yet?) dreamed at all, or they may have disappeared from that plane entirely. If they're now actually on the mountain ledge (for certain values of "now" and "actually") and no longer in the cave, will they need food and water and can they return below for them? Or does the ephemeral nature of their new existence mean that they don't require sustenance?

Looking forward to more.

Eric

heh

Glad to hear it Eric :)

I shamelessly patterned Mountain after the idea of an Quantum computer, working on indeterminacy or as some define it 'superposition's', meaning that all 'states', as in possibilities, are there together simultaneously.

And then I let Mountain be conscious, in this case able to differ between streams of time and so choose one, possibly also able to create them in its 'focus'. The later would indeed make him a God as he then by looking create something out of nothing.

And it's also physics, believe it or not, even if from a philosophical angle.

Assuming that Mountain created this particular 'time stream', which he in our 'reality' most surely did, don't you agree? Then, to me, all living and 'dead' things under a arrow of time will follow the conservation laws, including 'interactions' and transformations. That craves 'energy' and yes you're right, they better eat something :)

Hopefully he's gone fishing.
Well, Mountain has at least.