The mysterious case of the missing manhoods. Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Dearest Cousin Francis

The dressmaker and your maid are blind! My mother can assure you I am not graceful. Nor am I beautiful, although I do appreciate the compliment. Mother is forever on about a lady carries herself like so, eat smaller bites, put your hands in your lap. It is never ending. All the things I am to learn to be a proper lady and do, in truth, long quite painfully for our old days. I am jealous of your womanly curves, although I am not quite sure why.

My poor fingers are sore as mother is also teaching me needlepoint. It is not the most fun I have ever had as I am constantly forever jabbing my finger through the cloth. Mother tells me that when I am good enough to do needlepoint I will be able to join the other ladies at court. This is somewhat along the lines of the House of Lords I believe.

Speaking of the House, as you know my father had seconded me to his chair while he was in the colonies as his voice. The last such meeting did not bode well for me as I did attend. It is quite funny since most of the Lords present were shocked to see a young lady sit in fathers seat. I had assumed I could continue to express my fathers voice. This was not to be as I was assuredly run out post haste. It would seem my former colleagues are now barred from me through no fault of my own. This has made me sad and as I cannot seem to stop these tears from coming, I am afraid I spent many a day locked in my room doing just that.

I do not share your overwhelming desire to entertain the men. This may be the result of what the wizards did try earlier. Or it may be something else. I truly do not know. I can converse with men with little problem as I am kept informed by Charles, my former manservant, of many of the dealings that are now barred to me as the gentler sex.

I have been able to take tea at a few houses, and not embarrass myself, I do try to fit into this new world I have been dumped into. I am not quite up to the dreadfully boring tales of who is courting who. Nor am I at all interested in some of this other gossip. Though in truth it does remind me greatly of dueling but without the swords. The implied attacks against one lady or lord over another is distressing. Mother again assures me I will understand it more in time.

I should note your flirting with the young wizard Charles did not go without notice. As he is of dubious bloodlines, and you are a lady of quality, it was seen as most disgraceful. I managed to, I hope, convey that this was not your usual manor and may have been the result of some spell. I do hope you can find some way to overcome this difficulty as I am not yet that conversant with *tea courting* as my mother puts it. I doubt my ability to salvage your name in the circles of the gentle ladies of quality.

Cousin Mary Beth and Myself are not on speaking terms at this time. I am afraid she was one of the people trying to help mother during that first week and I may have said something to offend her. My face is quite red right now I assure you. I should mention that many of the first dresses I wore were the result of her choosing. So my wardrobe, which is distressingly overfull, is much along the fashion she portrays.

I should mention I was, at first, quite offended by your comment against Young Lord Mathis. Yes he is undersized for a boy of his age but I am confident with time he will fill out nicely. I do appreciate his visits as his wit and good manners do set me at ease. I do believe he is smitten with me and would probably ask father , if he were here, for permission to court me. I should find that distressful but strangely do not. I do hope that he is not behind our transformations as I would be most upset.

He is not the only caller I have had. For some reason alot of men have distressingly been showing up quite regularly. I do not understand why this is so. Mother does claim that our budget for tea has tripled as of late. I do not encourage any of these young men in the slightest. I am becoming quite scared to leave the house as well. It seems that every time I am out of the house no less than three men are escorting me the minor walk to the carriage. I am also becoming quite nervous of my debut to society. If this is what is to happen when I am a debutant then after it should be much worse. Mother was less than thrilled when I mentioned I would prefer life in a convent.

I have just received word that my father is returning from the colonies and should be here for the Christmas season.

Love Colleen.

P.S. I would also suggest hiding any sticks or rods Mother will NOT let me chew my fingernails.

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos