Legacy of the Anari - 7

Printer-friendly version

LEGACY OF THE ANARI

Chapter 7

by Ashleigh Blayze

Apologies for the delay! Enjoy!

The morning arrived, the rain stopping during the early hours, and the heavy sluicing had left Talont cleaner and smelling fresher. The sun had just risen and without much cloud in the sky, and a mild breeze it was looking like a good day. It was still early, most of the toughs, thugs and general lowlife who inhabited the slums were either still in bed, or going to bed after a long night working at anything from burglary to murder. The merchants were already up of course. They had been arriving steadily at the Hive Mart for the last hour, some before dawn broke, to set up their stalls for the day. Most wouldn’t leave stock in their stalls overnight, and were going through the morning rituals of putting their goods out, sharing the early morning banter and grousing with their neighbours and colleagues. A few traders, more permanently established, or with better guard systems left stock behind, and these just checked their security and made ready for the early morning trade.

The wealthier merchants had bodyguards, large slabs of muscle, with constantly moving eyes and weapons that ranged from spiked clubs through stun prods to firearms, it all depended on what was being sold. Ashai walked easily through the outer limits of the slums district and headed towards the Hive Mart. The smells from the breakfast stalls drifted through the market area on a slight breeze. She had been awake all night, meditating and thinking, practising concentration that came more easily now. She had discovered her mind worked much more rapidly than before.

New concepts and ideas were coming to her with great ease, her reaction time had improved enormously and the night with no sleep was not troubling her at all. If anything she thought the meditation had given her more rest than several nights sleep previously. Ashai, was worried that today could go badly wrong, and she’d given some thought to her look for the day to try and look like a hardened mercenary in the hope that it would reduce the trouble she was sure would happen. So with the room's mirror to help, Hound's willing assistance and the wall screen for research she had modified the matt black body suit that was set as Hound's default for combat.

The standard suit looked fantastic on her and that was the problem as far as she was concerned. It looked like it was just painted on so by telling Hound to make the armour weave thicker, and assume a more carapace like form she had managed to take the clingy standard armour weave bodysuit and make a look that incorporated armour plated thigh pads, shin and knee guards, forearm and shoulder guards as well as torso, chest, and back protection plates that did enough to hide her bust and thickened her waist to present a more intimidating picture rather than a man’s wet dream.

Hound and Key told her that the changes had also increased the armour's protection substantially, so she was feeling happier about that as well. The last glance in the mirror had left her feeling pretty good, although Key's snickering comments about warrior queens didn't help. The new armour felt and looked good enough that Ashai had Hound make it the default combat appearance, and the knowledge that at a thought she could be dressed and protected was very comforting. She had clipped on her utility belt, grabbed her gear with the flechette gun in the pack, and picked up the big rifle, reassembled with the scope mounted. Taking a last look in the mirror, she grinned wickedly at her reflection, a tall sexy dangerous woman in black with a damn big gun. She checked the room making sure nothing was left behind and headed for the Slums.

In the Hive Mart you could buy a large variety of illegal goods, amongst the more mainstream products. Dozens of traders who held stalls there had adverts posted in the electronic directories, and Ashai had been happy to see that Haskins was still advertising. 'Haskins Armouries' proudly announced itself as the longest established weapons emporium in Talont with a permanent stall in the Hive Mart, a wide range of gear and guaranteed security provided by the Cobalts. Haskins was an old Korkari male and an excellent gunsmith. Even though Rin’s old gang used to run the protection for the Hive Mart, Rin had been friendly with him and several other traders in the Mart. The old Korkari had befriended Rin after he lost his parents and joined the street kids that became gangers. Over time Haskins had become almost a surrogate father figure for Rin, giving the youngster a sounding board for his wilder ideas and worries as he grew up.

When she entered the Slums Ashai was confident that Haskins would be able to help but as she got deeper into the Slums, the district's atmosphere changed, and her confidence began to fade. The district felt much tenser than she remembered and even though it was early morning the people walking about did so hurriedly, as though afraid. It looked like things had changed for the worst since the Cobalts had taken overall control of the Slums district. The Cobalts would guarantee a clients safety inside Haskins shop but Ashai doubted that protection was any good once you left again. She was also sure that Haskins wouldn’t have any choice about his protection. So now it boiled down to Ashai having no idea whether going to Haskins was a good idea, or a nightmare about to happen.

The walk in through the slums outskirts had been a new experience. Rin had been used to being largely unnoticed as he slipped through the slums alleyways and streets and he liked that just fine. Ashai found that the combination of her looks, platinum silver hair, and gun with a bore big enough to qualify as a small cannon was garnering plenty of attention from those who were awake and about as she strode in. Expecting the attention didn’t made it any easier to deal with, but mentally tweaking her anxiety down and steeling her determination to get it over with she walked in bold as brass.

The looks thrown her way ranged from bitchy disgust (some of the local whores off to bed after another night) through to admiration, and lust (local men, toughs as well as some of those same whores). By the time she got to the Hive Mart proper and headed through the growing traffic for Haskins Armouries Ashai was pissed at being mentally undressed and her nerves were frazzled. Ashai concentrated on getting to Haskins while Key lurked in the back of her mind paying attention to the aliens and humans she passed in case of trouble.

Haskins Armouries was open for business when she arrived. There were three large Cobalt thugs on guard outside, and the weapons stall was marked in various signs and languages that proclaimed loudly and explicitly what would happen to anyone that decided to mess with them. The Cobalts were an all human gang and disliked other species to the point of xenophobia, which was one of the reasons they were mainly found in the slum district where poverty ensured most of the humans in Talont could be found.

The three thugs on guard were a mixed bunch, one was obviously just there as muscle, he was huge, standing over 2m10 and looking almost as wide as he was tall, looking like a statue carved out of granite, bulging muscles, that were starting to go to fat, but definitely big enough and nasty enough to give casual thieves pause for thought. Muscle man leant against the side of the stall, with a large steel mace propped up beside him. The other two Cobalts had lean hungry emaciated appearances and looked more like your typical street tough. They were dressed in dirty jeans, flak jackets, heavy boots and the obligatory Cobalt bandanas that gave the gang their name.

One carried what looked like a machine pistol and the other some type of shotgun style weapon. Shotgun seemed to be the small group's leader and he barked instructions to the others as Ashai was approaching, giving her the benefit of a leering grin as well, although his eyes also paid a respectable amount of interest to her rifle which she was holding casually, not quite pointed at them but close enough to be in play very quickly.

“What you wanting girlfriend? You come to play with us?”

Ashai grimaced mentally, she knew exactly what the Cobalts wanted to do for play, given the chance, and that was enough to make her queasy. Without a lifetime of practising feminine charms to fall back on, Ashai just played it by ear and hoped that an illusion of self confidence and bravado would be enough.

“I am here buying and selling Blues, and sorry hun but you really can’t afford my playtime. Tell Haskins he has a customer. Shoo.”

Shotgun started to react angrily. “Fuck you bitch...” and tailed off as he looked down the rifle's muzzle. He turned and stomped into the stall throwing curses back at her. Ashai waited quietly, the rifle once again not quite pointing at anyone. She let a mild smile play over her lips as she looked around the market place, while her mind was gibbering inside. A few of the stall holders and early customers were watching this play out, although generally with a quiet 'I saw nothing air' about them. It was a couple of minutes before Shotgun came back outside, gesturing Ashai in.

“Shop’s open girl. You be careful now pretty one, all sorts of dangerous stuff in there.” Another leer.

Gods what a fucking creep.

“Well it’s good that Haskins is guaranteed protected then isn't it Blue? Besides nothing in there’s more dangerous than little old me anyway.”

She smiled sweetly at Shotgun, and allowed the thug to move out of the doorway, before passing the Cobalt without taking her gaze off him, still smiling. Shotgun was smart enough to notice the smile never reached her eyes, and the rifle barrel never twitched off target on his torso. As the stall door slid closed behind Ashai the Cobalt thugs had a muttered conversation amongst themselves before machine pistol walked off further into the slums.

Ashai stood frozen in place behind the door and tried to stay calm. The walk to the Hive Mart had been stressful enough, but she had managed that okay, even though the looks she had been getting from men were making her skin crawl. Ashai now knew first hand what it’s like to be mentally undressed and fucked by a man, and all she wanted to do was cry, scream, and go back out and shoot the bastards. She hoped her bravado act had hidden the alien sense of vulnerability that almost over whelmed her.

Mentally thanking Key again, she forced herself to concentrate and followed Key's trick to tone down her anxiety once more. It worked but was noticeably more difficult than during the walk to the Hive Mart. Calm again she turned her attention to the shop itself, which was larger than it looked from outside. Equipment racks lined the walls behind the display cabinets, filled with a variety of weapons that Ashai found bewildering, although she refused to let it show.

“Welcome to Haskins Armouries, the finest selection of weapons and gear in the Slums. I’m Haskins, weapons dealer and gunsmith at your service. What can I do for you this day?”

The voice came from his office to the rear, sounding more tired than in Rin's memories, followed by the sounds of someone walking to the shop front. The voice turned into an older Korkari male, smaller than most with an optic implant, a slightly haphazard appearance, and a shrewd gaze. He looked older, and as tired as his voice suggested but it was still the same merchant that Rin had run errands for as a kid, and done protection for as part of the Hive Mart Crew.

Zazt Haskins had dealt in weapons and equipment for decades, since a few years after the Korkari founded the Yasm colony, and bitter experience had made him a quick and accurate judge of character. Walking through from the office he bade the customer come in, already knowing from Carlo's angry comments that it was a human female, and that Carlo expected to be enjoying her later. That didn’t bode well for the female.

Carlo was pure scum, and would be much better off dead. Unfortunately he had enough fire power to control the market for his gang boss Grinder. You might think about crossing Carlo, not wise but you might think about it, you didn’t cross Grinder, not and live to talk about it anyway. The Cobalts had the Slums District completely under their control, since they had eliminated the other gangs in a bloodthirsty display of power the year before. Giving them a reason to put up his protection rates, or worse, was not an option, so there was little he could do for the female.

The woman was still partially hidden in the shadows behind the armour door as he got to the counter. Confirming she was alone, Zazt quietly placed his sawn off shotgun under the counter top. No need to be hasty, after all.

“Come on in lady. Let me see who got that Cobalt fuck wit so riled up.”

The woman seemed not to hear him for a second before moving into the light, a large calibre rifle still in hand. She was tall for a human woman, and he judged her to be very young, in her early twenties. She was wearing an armoured body suit, with built in plating. It wasn’t a model he was familiar with but from the fit alone, Haskins was certain it was good quality. The suit disguised a very trim waist, with fitted breast plates protecting a full bust. Her head turned as she looked around the shop and Zazt's attention was caught by her hair. A thick mane of long strands that flowed half way down her back. It was the colour of polished platinum, shot through with silver.

The female looked at him, and Zazt puzzled at the recognition in her gaze as the girl relaxed slightly. Did he know her? She definitely seemed to know him, and regarded him with trust? It was sometimes hard to tell humans apart, especially as they didn’t use scent for identifying themselves but he was fairly sure his mind wasn’t so feeble that he would have forgotten this face. A flawless pale olive complexion, generous lips, small sharp chin, strong high cheekbones, the nose was slightly too large to be called cute, but was straight and slim, perfectly set between large expressive blue eyes, highlighted by long lashes and fine brows, also the colour of platinum. All in all, a very strikingly good looking woman, although as far as Haskins could tell she wore no make up or tattoos, which seemed a little unusual for a young human woman.

He finished looked the female over before grinning at her.

“Very nice as I understand humans judge these things. Carlo is not particularly pleasant to deal with lady but I wish you hadn’t pissed him off. The Cobalt guarantee of safety in the shop helps my business a bit, but it’s not as though I have a choice after all. I am protected or my stall has a fiery accident you know. Carlo handles all of the market protection and he thinks the whole world owes him. He also believes that every female should worship at the altar of his dick, so you watch yourself when you leave here. You just cost him face in the eyes of the market place, his own little empire and he knows it. You made out you can look after yourself so I hope you’re up to proving that. Now enough unpleasantness, I’m at your disposal in all things.”

Zazt gave a little bow and another grin. Ashai sighed mentally and visibly shuddered, then turned and glanced at the stall's armoured door.

“Am I safe for the time being Zazt?” She cursed herself for the slip but it was too late. Haskins had already reached for his shotgun again, his expression a mixture of confused worry and hostility. Ashai was sure she could beat him to a draw but she needed help not another fight. The old Korkari pointed the weapon at her.

“I think you need to tell me how you know my name human, and quickly. First though please put the rifle on safe, and place it on the ground. Put your pack beside it and then stand in the middle there. I want you to move slowly. Do you understand human?”

“Yes. This is…”

“Shut up.” Ashai followed his instructions slowly and carefully, holding her tongue, cursing herself for getting the old merchant's guard up. Moving slowly she stood in the centre of the room, while Zazt moved her gear away to one side, keeping the barrel of his weapon steadily on her.

“Talk girl, who are you and how do you know me?”

Ashai hurriedly tried to think what she could tell the old Korkari that he would believe, that wasn’t an outright lie. Zazt had always been very sharp with his customers, very good at catching falsehoods, at judging character. One of the initial reasons the Korkari had got on with Rin, had been his willingness to acknowledge that the human boy was smart, where most humans and Korkari alike saw a street kid and thought scum. Zazt was not going to give her more time. Just as he was about to demand an answer she started speaking.

“As I tell you this you’re probably going to think that I’m crazy Ser Haskins,” showing Zazt the respect due an elder wasn’t going to do any harm, “but I’ll rely on your ability to judge character.”

“And what do you know about me being a judge of character girl? You know nothing about me, now talk, or I’ll get Carlo in here to get your human backside out of my shop.”

Doing her best to ignore his threat, Ashai carried on.

“You knew enough about character not to treat Rin as trash. Or are you saying you have gone senile old one?” Once Rin had got to know Zazt he had constantly teased the Korkari about his age by calling him old one. Ashai hoped that she could divert Zazt’s anger and get him thinking at least.

The human female’s mention of Rin was completely unexpected, and threw him completely.

Rin? What has this to do with Rin? Old one? Cheeky human bitch, no one calls me that any more, not since Rin vanished in the riots? Is that daft kid alive? What the Maker is going on?

Memories of the human youngster who had alternated between respect and mockery, and who had first been his favourite amongst the human street kids, then polite and considerate in the HMC, who had always wanted to learn and be more, floated around in Zazt mind. The old Korkari was a little surprised to discover that he still cared, but it wasn’t Rin's fault that things had gone to shit since the riots.

“Human, what do you know about Rin?” Ashai could tell Zazt was still tense but now he also seemed interested, possibly curious.

“I know enough about Rin Turvik, to know he thought a lot of you, enough to know your name, and how he used to tease you. If you wouldn’t mind pointing that somewhere else, I’ll tell you.” Ashai held her breath and prayed Zazt's curiosity would win out.

“Rin survived the riots? He got out of the slums?” The old gunsmith slowly lowered the shotgun, his hostility slowly ebbing under an assault by concerned curiosity, which wasn’t an emotion he generally felt for humans any more.

“Yes he survived the riots, managed to get out of the slums, beat up but still alive. He managed to blag his way out of Talont on a transport and ended up on the plains. Got a job.”

“Rin Turvik got a job?” Ashai thought the old Korkari didn’t know whether to be incredulous or impressed.

“Yeah, with a family of ranchers called the Rijkards. He moved to their home called Rijkards Hold, started to learn ranching, even got promoted to a herder, made some friends. The Rijkards were like family to Rin.” Haskins watched the girl closely, puzzling over her human facial expressions, and her choice of words. She looked very…sad the Korkari thought, as he noted the reference to Rin in the past tense.

“And you know Rin from this place? What happened? You talk like he or they meant much to you, and in the past.”

It was difficult but Ashai tried to choose her words carefully, at the same time as images of the ruins of Rijkards Hold paraded through her mind, the bodies of her friends, the destroyed and burnt buildings. Her flight from the Dtilla.

“This is complicated Ser, yes they all meant a lot to me. Rijkards Hold was destroyed in the Dtilla raids, everyone except Rin died. The whole family died and all the ranch hands. Rin only escaped because he was out guarding the herds when he saw the attackers’ shuttle approaching. He went to help, but was too late. He saw what the Dtilla did and managed to kill several of the them. They pursued him and he was chased into some caves in the hills. I......came along afterwards.”

“Why then do you feel so strongly about the Rijkards? How did you meet Rin? Where is he?” Zazt demanded.

“I told you it's complicated Ser. Rin worked his way through the tunnel complex, and along the way he found an ancient artefact, from millennia ago.”

The merchant snorted “Phah, you expect me to believe that Rin found treasure? That still does not explain you.”

“No Ser I don’t. It wasn’t treasure. He found a key to a, well I suppose the closest thing would be a medical facility. Using the Key he escaped from the tunnels into the facility. Rin was affected by the facility, it was going to kill him before he could leave. He managed to work out the only way to heal himself but there were.... side effects.”

“Side effects? What he is insane now? Blind? Disabled?”

Zazt was concerned now for his old favourite. He could tell the human female was sincere. Her story was obviously grossly simplified, she certainly wasn’t telling him everything, but what she was telling him appeared to be the truth, which was bewildering. Ancient alien medical facilities? He was confused why the girl's reaction to his question appeared to be acute embarrassment, a red blush suffusing her cheeks, before she looked at her feet and spoke again.

“Umm the side effect was I got changed into a freaking girl old one.” Ashai didn’t think she could ever feel more humiliated. She wanted to curl up and die of mortification. There was a very long pause while Zazt tried to get his head around her statement.

“Rin?” She forced herself to nod jerkily.

“Gatchi shit, there’s no way you are Rin, what crap is this human?”

Zazt was getting irritated again. First the female tells him Rin is alive then this crap. He raised the shotgun again, thoroughly pissed off, as the memories of the riots aftermath ran through his mind. The rebuilding, and the Cobalts taking control of the district had been bad enough, grieving for the loss of a friend, a human friend had been harder. He would not take this insult. The girl threw up her palms in Korkari appeasement.

“Old one I am Rin, or at least I was. Please!! I’m telling you the truth!” She was frozen for a second as the barrel rose again.

Oh Gods no, I can’t fight Zazt, I’ll kill him!

“Don't shoot me Ser! Test me!” Ashai pleaded, ready to move, praying she wouldn’t have to.

Zazt still looked angry, but he held off on pulling the trigger, and Ashai could see him thinking.

“Test you to see if you are Rin? Hmmm, okay I will human, and if you’re not Rin, I can at least acknowledge that you are brave to try such a bluff. Or very stupid... let us see. When did I first meet Rin?”

“Umm, I was just past my 10th birthday and I started hanging around with the street kids in the Hive Mart. I met you a couple of weeks later, but that wasn’t the first time I was here.”

Zazt remembered the young boy who had been very curious about his shop, and the girl had the date about right. Not been the first time in?

“So when were you in my shop for the first time?”

“Um I sneaked in as a test to join the Hive Mart street kids, about a week before I met you. I had to steal something from your shop to prove I went in. I sneaked in while you were dealing with a customer.” Her face was bright red. If it was possible for her to feel more embarrassed and humiliated, she now was.

“Hmm and what did you steal?”

She had to think frantically for a second, before Key came to her rescue and provided her the memory. “It was a small throwing blade, good quality. It was unusual because it was made of plassteel and was matt black.”

Zazt remembered the incident as Ashai described the weapon, Rin stole that blade? The row that had caused, he had been sure the customer must have stolen it, had even had the poor guy searched to no avail, and it had cost him a good sale. He glared at the girl. It didn’t seem likely that Rin would have told a girl this story but still.

“On your eleventh birthday I gave you a present. What was it?”.

“Trying to be sneaky Zazt? You didn’t give me anything on my 11th birthday. But on my 12th you gave me a small lock knife.” The female grinned at him.

The old Korkari still couldn’t quite believe his eyes but this had to be Rin Turvik, come to think of it the shape of her face was actually very like Rin's and her nose…
“You actually look like Rin you know, although much prettier. That really is you isn't it?”

“Umm yeah old one it really is me, and believe it or not, apparently I look like my daughter would have looked. Just too freaking weird for words.” She was flushing again in embarrassment.

“Well I’m guessing that you got most of your looks from your Mother, although your nose is definitely Rin.” Zazt could not help it, he exploded in barking laughter at his old favourite's predicament, ignoring the girl as her expression went from embarrassed to stunned to furious.

“Zazt!! This is not funny, I need Help!!!”

“Has anyone told you Rin you are beautiful when you are angry?” Zazt laughed again, then held up his palms to appease the furious girl.

“Easy, Rin I’m just teasing you. You have to admit, it’s not every day I have this sort of opportunity to laugh at your expense, and that old one crack of yours was very tiresome. Consider that the start of payback, but a very small part of it.” He sniggered again.

Ashai opened her mouth to retort, then shut it again. There wasn’t really anything she could say to that, seeing as how much she’d wound up Zazt over the years. She decided instead to just be grateful that Zazt had lowered the shotgun again and seemed to believe her now. Zazt saw she wasn’t going to bite, and grinned hugely at her

“Learning when to shut up Rin? You have changed more than is obvious then. While I have to say you look much much better for it, I’m truly very glad to see that you are alive. I grieved a lot for you boy after the riots. What do I call you, as Rin doesn’t really suit you any more hmm?”

“Um, when I thought about names after I...ended up like this, it was difficult to think about girls names, and I didn’t have anyone to talk to about it. I ended up thinking about Korkari words that I liked that sounded feminine to me and translated well. I chose Ashai.”

“Ashai?, Beautiful Thorn? Yes I think that would suit you well. Ashai it is. The question is what do we do with you now Ashai? What are your plans? I’m assuming any plans don’t include being raped and murdered which is what that Cobalt has in mind for you when you leave.”

Zazt carried on quickly seeing the girl shudder and her face tense in fear and worry. “Don't worry about Carlo now, you’re safe for the time being. He can’t get in here without a major effort, and he won’t do so. It would violate his protection contract with me, and show him up even more. What we need to do is solve your problems. Now let us assume that you didn’t talk to me about being Rin once you came here, what would you have done?”

“Well Zazt I figured I need some ID, and I need to get off world I think.. I stayed in Hab 27 last night and did some thinking. I had figured I could sell some gear I acquired, and buy some gear in replacement. I intended to get some VALs to give me a head start on skills as well. Now though? Maker, I’m open to advice Zazt, I mean going through an alien device and getting turned into a girl is freaking me out, not to mention I’m only 23, and apart from being a ganger all I know how to do is herd mega bison, so any help would be kinda welcome Ser.”

The old Korkari nodded his head in understanding.

'”Well I’m not keen on VALs Ashai but I understand why you would want to. Put your gear on the counter and let us take a look at what you were going to sell and I will do the best I can for you.”

With that any last tension dissolved and a relieved Ashai placed her pack on the sales counter and pulled out the flechette gun, vibroblade, and the spare clips for both the flechette and rifle. Then she took the scope off the rifle and laid both it and rifle on the counter as well.

'That’s what I have Zazt, what do you think? Can I look around while you check them?” Zazt nodded his assent absently. It was a gesture that had taken a little time to sink into Korkari culture on Yasm, the Korkari had no equivalent of their own. He bent over the weapons, giving them an assessment. Ashai divided her time between watching her old friend and wandering along the weapons racks, wondering what would suit her best. A little while later Haskins interrupted her musing.

“Hmm. Ashai this flechette weapon is Tocpak42. It’s a decent, cheap model, mass produced. Reasonable market for gangers but this grip is modelled for Dtilla. I assume you got it off some of the scum that raided a little while ago?”

“Yes Ser, I killed it with the rifle there, from about 5m range.”

Zazt grimaced. “Ouch that would have been messy. Well done. Anyway without a grip replacement it’s not saleable. Assuming the grip was right I would normally offer a customer say 190 for it another 50 for the ammo. For you I can do 300 creds for them. The vibroblade is cheap shit, 40 creds is your top for that. The rifle and scope…These you shouldn’t sell here, I can’t give you what they’re worth. This is a cultured weapon Ashai. Very deadly. Made off world. You see these?” the Korkari pointed out markings on the stock, “These are from Jatwon & Thort. They’re famous Gunsmiths on the Hive World Geremon. How did you get this weapon Ashai?”

“It was Edgar's...He leant me it before I went out herding. He was killed by the Dtilla.”

“Hmm well this weapon is exceptional, the barrel is lighter and stronger than normal and has 25 rifling turns instead of 18, the quad recoil absorber is more efficient and I could go on. The scope is not of quite the same calibre but is also very good. The rounds are standard 20mm AP, but fired by this weapon you get higher muzzle velocity, greater accuracy, greater range. You made my year Ashai just by getting to see it. Most weaponry on Yasm is basic. This rifle is elegant, and I can’t afford to purchase it. You need to sell it up town.”

“But Zazt, I can’t sell it up town, you know I have no ID now.”

If you were able to put Zazt Haskins on the spot and ask the Korkari his opinion, he would have described himself as a realist, possibly with ethics. Over decades Zazt had turned Haskins Armouries into a regular emporium for the fire power challenged, and the dishevelled Korkari's appearance hid a perceptive mind. He had a good idea what the rifle was worth, more than a substantial portion of his stock put together. There was an opportunity here to make substantial profit which was what Zazt lived for, especially as the Cobalts charged outrageously for their 'protection', and Zazt was acutely aware that it had been a slow month, he needed creds.

The idea of ripping off the woman in front of him just ground against his morals too much, even if he hadn’t been aware that Ashai was his old favourite Rin. The Korkari had been around long enough to believe that what goes around comes around, and that the honesty that stopped him from being a business tycoon had kept him going in leaner times. However he genuinely couldn’t afford to buy the rifle for even a small fraction of what it was worth. He pondered for a long moment, how best to proceed, before a possibility sprang to mind.

“Okay Ashai this is what we can do. There are plenty of places up town that bend the rules, and even in a scrupulously honest establishment like say Tayis Brest Equippers you only need ID to buy weaponry, its not needed to sell it. I truly can’t afford to purchase this weapon from you, but if you sell the weapon there and leave unarmed Carlo will have you wishing you were dead soon after so ID would be a problem. Plus it would be bad for me as well. If you leave and go there to sell your gun Carlo will blame me for making killing you more difficult. The Hive Mart is his empire, up town belongs to other gangs.” The Korkari looked somber for a moment before continuing. “With your permission however I can act as a broker for your weapon. Thus you are able to sell, at a fairer price, I make a profit, which I need, and Carlo can’t hold me to account which I am thankful for. I would charge you for this service of course. The standard commission is 14%.”

“I’ll give you 10% Zazt.”

“Hmm 12%.”

“Done.”

“Well bargained Ashai, you’ve improved. Wait here I must comm Tayis.”

Haskins disappeared into the back office, and came out a short time later, collecting the rifle, scope and ammunition clips for it and going back in. Ashai waited, having a mental conversation with Key as to the best things to do next, and what might be suitable weapons, but the truth was she didn’t know enough to know. Eventually Haskins came back to the shop counter, with a print out bearing the letterhead of Tayis Brest Equippers.

“What’s that?”

“Heh, this Ashai is Tayis' best and final offer to you for purchase of your heirloom weapon, with its scope and ammunition.” Zazt was looking very pleased with himself.

“Heirloom?”

“Yes, that is the only plausible reason she would take for a weapon like this coming on market here. If I know Tayis she will have it sold inside of a day, very good at making male Korkari swoon that one is. Her final offer is to transmit 14800 creds via comnet to your cred stick here. You need to buy a more secure model and transfer the creds to it as soon as possible Ashai. This print out from Tayis Brest is her confirmation of offer so that our deal is honoured fairly. If you accept then you will pay me 1776 creds after you have received the transfer. I will take the equipment and arrange for shipping to Tayis and this print confirms that is my responsibility as the dealer for you. Is this acceptable?”

Ashai was stunned. “14800?”

“Yes. Tayis is quick and knows a situation when she smells one as we Korkari say, I don’t doubt she will sell it for at least 26000, but there’s no way you would be able to achieve that selling it yourself. Do you agree?”

“Umm. Yes, yes thank you Ser.”

A stunned Ashai quickly accepted and the Korcari weapons merchant headed back to the office with her credit stick. The 725 creds she had before was the most that Ashai had ever had in her entire life, and the idea of saying yes and thousands of creds just appearing on her credstick was bewildering. Minutes later Zazt returned, interrupting a bemused Ashai looking at his stock and insisted she check the stick, which she duly did- balance 15525 creds. Maker.

“That was good business Ashai. Now my payment for this service is 1776 creds, or I will take the remainder of the equipment you wanted to sell and 1500 creds, is this acceptable to you?”

Ashai confirmed her assent and then arranged the transfer of 1500 creds, leaving her with 14025 creds. Then with her head still spinning she started to discuss her needs with Haskins.

“Thank you Ser, I don’t think I’ve ever had so many creds, now I guess I need to spend some and get some replacement gear. I know I need a weapon or two, and like I said if you have any VAL chips I would like a look at them, plus ID. Where do we start?”

Zazt couldn’t help but notice that the look Ashai gave the shelves of equipment and weaponry lining the walls was pensive at best. He was delighted with the days business so far, brokering the weapon to Tayis had made him 1500 creds pure profit, so he decided he wouldn’t tease the youngster too much.

“Well Ashai, whatever else has happened to you, you’ve not learned much weapon craft yet have you? If you’re going off world you need to know more, and quickly.”

Asgai sighed and shrugged in frustration. “You know me Zazt, I never spent a lot of time with guns and stuff in HMC did I? What am I doing wrong?”

“It’s not what you’re doing wrong, although you are indecisive about what you want to buy, which shows you haven’t developed your preferences yet. The problem is more what you haven’t done right. It’s a small thing but telling Ashai, you’ve obviously used the rifle and seem familiar with it, but after it was last immersed in water you didn’t clean this exceptional weapon properly. Not a major problem incidentally with a rifle of this quality but it’s not a good habit. Always look after your gear. Any experienced mercenary or soldier or some such will know this and it’s a rule that most don’t break because it can kill you. A recruiter for example would notice this and realise that you lack experience, which could mean you don’t get work, or get paid less.”

Ashai listened glumly to her old friend and nodded her understanding. Feeling a bit down she thought if she survived the rest of the day, at this rate it would be a minor miracle. Key heard her thoughts and quietly chided her for being hard on herself.

“Thank you for that observation old one, I know I don’t know enough, but I guess I know even less than I thought. Are you going to be able to help me further Ser?” Ashai felt certain her friend wouldn’t let her down, but in the sudden cold hard light of her ignorance, hearing it seemed much more important. Zazt looked at her shrewdly, and she knew that he could still read her like a book, even in a new body.

“Stop worrying Ashai, of course I’ll help you girl. It sounds so strange saying that and thinking about Rin,” he grinned at her “come on I have some VALs, and there is also a reader somewhere here as well. ID I can’t solve but I can at least point you to those who can. They’re in the Port District so you won’t need to worry about Cobalts there, although the Port has its own problems. Weaponry we can deal with after the VALs Ashai. At least we’re not lacking for time, the day is still young.”

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!

Yay!
Another chapter of this awesome story...

So she'S made her first enemy... Maybe he'll be an opportunity to practice her Warp-avatar skills. She might want to think about having her symbionth lower her physical attractiveness. If she doesn't want to get stared at she shouldn'T look like a bombshell. Dressing down may also help :D

Thank you for writing,

Beyogi

I really like your writing.

I see that you explain things that I would just allow the reader to figure out for themselves, and now understand that as a shortcoming in my writing. Ashai seems needlessly worried about her safety, because it seems likely that she could easily shred the opposition. Of course, with her inexperience, she may not realise just how lethal she is.

Very nice and I hope to see more soon.

Gwendolyn

This just keeps getting better

The English Teacher's picture

Well done!!

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Cobalt Blue

I doubt that Carlo will bleed blue when Ashai is done with him. I look forward to what she learns from the VALs.

Another good chapter. I look forward to the next - soon?

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

good stuff, one of my

good stuff, one of my favorite genre. a bit like Alan Dean Foster's Flynx series

dig it, cant wait to see how

dig it, cant wait to see how the warp powers come into play

With such a broad and high

With such a broad and high concept setup, I'm surprised you're so focused on the details. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of personal taste.

But if you look at comic book characters for example, the flow is always: Origin story > Time Skip > Present day.

There's a reason why the minutia is left out.

Were you talking about

Were you talking about something important?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Not really

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

What, here? No, not really… Why, were you?

Personally I like details

... and I know, it can get excessive. But I think the author is doing a tremendous job of using details in a non-boring fashion to immerse readers in this world and to set a firm story foundation for what comes next. In this case there is a personal connection that has to be fleshed out so, yes, more details make sense as the Haskins character is supposedly a strong connection and it needs justification.

I love this story.

Awesome

Kim

Reading Anari

This story is on my must read soonest list. It's very good and imaginative. I get this wild vibe of an combination of Mos Eisley and Blade Runner going for the slum. Maybe even a bit of 5th Element as well given our heroine. :) What a movie this would make! LOL!

hugs
Grover

Details Details

terrynaut's picture

I like all the details in this story. They give it a wonderful depth that I love to immerse myself in. Splash!

I love Zazt. What a curious relic he is. Who would think that an arms dealer in a slum could be so ethical. Nice change from the usual stuff.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

When you get down to it,

When you get down to it, even criminals tend to have ethics. They just aren't the same as what you or I might have. If you get the reputation for screwing your customers (legal or illegal), you tend to _lose_ those customers. It's hard to stay in business that way, unless you never want repeat business, and always depend on new people that don't know about you.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Details

The character is young, does not control her powers very well yet, has no ID, no notion of how to deal with people as a woman and, untill recently, had very little money. So, at the moment, details about how she dresses, where and how she buys stuff and how she walks on the streets are needed.
When she gets contacts, money and an ID, how she bought food that day becomes unimportant, unless there is an ambush.
If the cobalts attack her they will start a war. She will kill or injure all that come against her. This will force the big boss (if he is stupid) to send more troops. She will get under pressure and, eventually, be forced to kill the big boss or face enemies everywhere (even off planet, if the gang is powerfull enough).
Now, it all depends on how stupid the guy is. Really, really stupid and he will continue to hunt her off planet even if it is expensive and will not really increase zhis street cred. An usual gang leader will just chase her untill she is out os his territory or will stop sending (loosing) people when she destroys the second ambush.
As dumb as a former president of the US, that is, that guy that almost bankrupted the biggest economy in the world -> he will take Zast as a hostage. Or, even dumber, but still within the capabilities of said president -> will start a war with other gangs because he hunted her in their territory.

Be that as it may, the flaw

Be that as it may, the flaw here is that the detail came at the expense of pacing, suspense and plot. This chapter would have been better served if it was about 20% longer with the extra 20% following this new plot threat, ie the pissed gang bangers.

Alternatively, the shop scene could be 20% shorter and those extra words made up by following the gang banger thread.

Compared to the first few chapters, these last 3 had been uninspired. To put it politely.

I think the problem is, that

I think the problem is, that this is no series, but a novel that is released in parts. If you have 15000 Words without major action in a novel that should be no problem. I'm sure there will be enough action in the next chapter.

There's that, and there's

There's that, and there's the fact that we can simply assume she has the ability to figure things out. She's sex changing superhero with phenomenal cosmic powers, not an invalid.

The point being, we can reasonably expect her to figure out how to do certain things without going over the minutia of how she figured it out.

Not a flaw - it's story development

This tale is set in a situation where both we (the readers) and our heroine do not have the facts/knowledge to appreciate all that is going on without these details. Admittedly, the initial chapters were of a faster pace, but how better to set the hook (our interest in the ongoing novel/story) for the entirety of the tale?

Personally as a writer myself (I'll be posting here in the future), this is an excellently crafted and told tale - and one I eagerly look forward to reading.

Kathy

Chapters

Hi all,

Thanks for your coments about the latest chapters. I am aware that the last three chapters as such are perhaps not ideal in size. In all honesty I am not sure I could call them true chapters. When I began writing L of A, I didn't actually do any planning or chapters at all, and it shows I'm afraid. I just wrote the story as a personal exercise and went from there. After the generous comments I received for some fan fiction I decided I would begin posting L o A, and I have been thrilled by the positive feedback, but at the moment it is still definiteley a draft.

I have been taking rough chunks of the story and forming them into chapters where I can of around 7-10000 words, to make it possible to edit and post for BCT. Sorry when I cock it up.

Many thanks again for everyone's feedback and commentary. It is all very welcome and instructive for me in improving my writing. More please.

Btw Chapter 8 will be along in a day or so.

Ashleigh

Actually it's less of a

Actually it's less of a length problem and more of where you start and where you end.

Only one thing to say....

Bravo … another great chapter

I just got around to reading 6 and 7 as life got in the way of pleasure.

My own observations on the story so far are that that you are writing a very believable and interesting story--this is the point isn't it. There is a very good storyline flowing in chapters 6 and 7. You have a story that is going nicely ahead towards Ashai's overall goal of bringing Humankind back to being a major player in the universe--all she needs now is to get her head on straight and figure this out, we all know she will get there.

There is a lot of directions this story can go and you are well on your way to creating an awesome new universe that you can work, off of, to create a story you can continue to write, for years to come. Such as the story by Angharad which is up to 1530 chapters now.

A thought:

I was going back to earlier chapters and in chapter 3 there was a reference to Clan Atlath this could explain the old story of Atlantis and it's demise, It could have been destroyed around the same time as the local Anari Guardian Creche. These thoughts are just my mind working overtime. This just seems to be where this was going.

Spiney

Legacy of the Anari - 7

Waiting to see what happens when she leaves the shop.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

more more

I am so looking forward to the next chapter please more more

It pleases me to read it

It pleases me to read it again, although it's been a long time since I saw it first. It's slightly Heinlein in its feeling to me 'have spacesuit will travel' sort of. Wonder what happened to you Blayze, hope you kept on writing.