Legacy of the Anari - 4

Printer-friendly version

LEGACY OF THE ANARI

by Ashleigh Blayze

Chapter 4

Rin opened his eyes in the recovery room. He felt physically rested for the first time in days as well as calmer and more mentally refreshed than he expected. A quick shower got him clean and alert. He changed into a set of clean clothes that were waiting on the locker when he woke. After cleaning out the pockets of the clothes he had been wearing he grabbed a couple more energy bars and headed to the Atrium.

“So what do I call you?” His voice echoed a little in the empty corridor. This deserted facility with no one except an AI in it was starting to give him the creeps.

“I do not have an official name.” The face appeared on a wall screen monitor in the Atrium wall.

“Well I gotta call you something. I’m Rin, please don't call me Prime all the time. I’m alone here at the moment in this weird Maker damned place and just speaking to thin air is messed up.”

There was a pause before the AI responded.

“The candidates at the creche level referred to me as Vault. Is that adequate?”

“Hmm okay, weird but I guess it works. Okay Vault what's next?”

Rin thought Vault’s voice sounded a trace embarrassed when it spoke next.

“I have concluded that I cannot provide you the necessary training facilities that you require at this time. The principal purpose of the crá¨che facility above you was to raise Guardian and Prime candidates from their birth to the point of receiving their Keys and Symbionts. During this time they were schooled by their tutors and lived with their peers in the crá¨che. My role was mainly the management of the Vault and the Symbiont facility. I can provide you with data but not actual teaching. This current situation is outside of my programming, and as such I would normally render decisions to the base commander. In the absence of a base commander authority would devolve to the Prime candidate who at the time was Yeshi and aged 11. By following my principle objective of maintaining the Prime candidate's well being I am engaged in medical protocols to assist you. It is not possible to log you as a candidate within my data systems. In order to correct the logic break caused by your bonding with the Prime Key I have accepted you as Prime. As Prime not as a candidate. Therefore you have authority and I can offer guidance only. I do not have necessary systems to train you in the role of Prime and as such you will need to leave the facility to obtain this. However as you are currently still integrating for you to leave at this point would be almost certainly detrimental to your health.”

Rin was a little pissed, “You're seriously telling me that you don't know what to do, so it's my problem but you'll help if you can? And I can't leave yet because of this damn Ring?'

There was a long pause and electronic face on the monitor definitely looked embarrassed.

“Correct. I have concluded that I must try to integrate you successfully or you will die, but I cannot call you a candidate as you are fully mature, not a child and are also bonding already. It is time to review your medical status Rin, please proceed to medical.” The face watched impassively as Rin shook his head in disgust, then moved round the atrium and down the corridor to medical.

****

Rin was feeling odd. The last several hours had been spent in the medical bay getting scanned, and he was bored out of his mind. But now he was feeling odd, okay but definitely odd. It was like he could feel everything normally but in the last few minutes...

Deep within Rin's brain the Key completed its host integration functionality checks, and prepared to activate the next phase of her function. Augmentation would take longer than expected, and would continue throughout use, but critical deficiencies would need to be addressed. This level of interface had not been achieved with previous Anari users and only secondary cortex interface had been utilised. Primary cortex interface achieved and stable. Activating neural link…. Neural link established and fixed.

Hello Rin.

Rin jumped off the bed with a shout. He heard a girl’s voice in his head!

“What the hells?” He looked around wildly, first the AI and now this.

Rin you don’t need to shout you know. The feminine voice was friendly and chided him gently.

He was feeling completely freaked now. When Vault spoke he heard it just fine, but this wasn't hearing it was like a thought in his head.

“Who are you? Where are you?”

I’m your Key Rin, I’m bonded to you. The tone was warm and infinitely loving and sounded like it was set to giggle if he said something else dumb.

No Rin I’m not going to laugh at you. Okay not much anyway. There was a small but definite giggle in his mind.

“You’re reading my mind?”

Of course Rin, we’re one now. You don't need to speak to me you know. Not a good habit to talk to thin air. People will start to wonder. Just relax and think.

“How can you be in my mind? You’re the ring?” Rin's mental response was more a concept of confusion than a thought. Am I going crazy he wondered.

No you’re not crazy. The thoughts suddenly became clearer as the conversation continued. Better we're fully meshed now. Okay here is what we have. You picked me up and put me on. The ring that Yeshi had begun bonding with. I wasn't aware at that point, which is really good or I would have gone crazy. Because you didn't have that damn strong immune system that keeps causing the symbiosis problems, the automated meshing process began and we bonded. I am now physically part of you and I’m fully interfaced into your neural and nervous networks. We are now one Rin. Essentially I’m the command and control interface for your symbiont you get later on.

Rin, the Anari who used this technology before never realised its true capability because their immune system prevented the full neural mesh we have achieved, so this is going to be as unexpected to the Vault system as it is to you. The Vault injected you with nanites to improve your immune system and try to prevent the full mesh. I allowed it to improve your immune system but have disabled those nanites that tried to inhibit the neural mesh. Now that we're fully meshed I am self aware in my own right. The Key technology is basically an organic based Artificial Intelligence programmed to protect and preserve its user to the best of its ability. Now that I’ve activated I am using a fraction of the spare capacity within your organic brain.

Vault was correct that your body is not currently suitable for your symbiont. Without augmentation you would be killed by the process of merging with your symbiont, and now we cannot exist for long without it either. Therefore the next thing we must do is begin your augmentation. Don’t worry I’ll take good care of us Rin, but we will need a great deal of food and energy for the process.

Vault calls you the Prime because I’m the Prime Ring, the most capable. They knew this from what they had deciphered of the technology and as such the most suitable Anari candidate would have worn me, but poor Yeshi could never have managed this. Her link up would still have made her a very capable symbiont warrior, and as such probably a great leader for her people but you are going to get the full package.

The Key's excitement came across loud and clear to Rin. The girlish voice was practically bubbling with anticipation.

“Just what have I gotten myself into here?” Rin wondered.

The Key’s mental tone turned coy, and Rin could almost picture a girl grinning impishly at him.

Why Rin I thought you knew already? Hehehe, you get to be the first full Warp Avatar in a million years or so. And you, I, we are gonna rock this corner of the galaxy. Happy laughter bubbled in his mind.

“Warp Avatar? What the hell’s a Warp Avatar?” The conversation was rapidly spinning out of Rin’s understanding. Key explained to him patiently.

The technology that made the Keys and the symbiont armour is incredibly ancient Rin. From time before man was evolved enough to be anything other than a small monkey. In time the Anari discovered it as they were exploring the galaxy and learned enough about it to realise that it would provide a means of enhancing their best and brightest. I don’t think they ever really knew what they actually had. The technology was fantastically ancient to them but actually it belonged first to an alien species who became so powerful over time that they were pretty much gods. They don't exist in this dimension any more because they ascended.

“Um, Key I’m feeling stupid I guess, but I never had much education in the slums. I’ve heard of the warp, but I don't know what it is, but the rest of what you just said means nothing to me.”

Rin felt a bit ashamed of his lack of knowledge. He guessed it wasn't his fault but it seemed like it was going to cause problems. Still the girl? woman? in his thoughts immediately picked up on his feelings and reassured him.

Shush don't be silly, you’ve never had the chance or need to learn this stuff, so you're not stupid. Remember I’m in your head here so I know. Actually Rin your mind is really very efficiently organised, you’ve a very good memory don't you?

“Uh yes why?”

I can tell from how your thought processing is structured, it’s very neat. With the knowledge you’ll soon have there is no doubt you’re going to be a lot more than a bison herder, and you’re only 22. You’re allowed to be inexperienced. I mean you’re talking to a million year old Key here! Anyway we’re going to have a very long time together to get you sorted.

“How do you talk like that? It’s not what I’d expect, although I guess I wasn't really expecting to be having a mental conversation with a woman thinking in my head.”

More laughter echoed in his mind, which Rin enjoyed.

We’re communicating via your shared language, and I guess you can call me eternally young so I’m not going to talk like some old antique. Okay I’ll give you some basics, explain what you need to know now. The rest can wait until you are safe and integrated. Like I said I’m the control of the armour tech, its core processing if you want. I am aware, and share all your sensations although I cannot take control of your body without your permission. You need to eat a lot of food at the moment because our meshed body uses a lot more energy than you're used to. When you’ve integrated fully that won’t matter because you will always have enough energy. Talk about that later though.

Your symbiont becomes part of you, it will protect you from a variety of threats, repairs itself with your energy, serves as a weapon, life support and so on. You can look completely normal and naked if you want, and dress in ordinary clothing, the armour will simply change its appearance. Again more on that stuff later. We need to get you on with your augmentation because now we’re meshed the symbiont is also an essential part of our bodily functions. You’re not really human or Anari any more Rin, and are on your way to becoming a whole lot more, but your body needs some major changes.

“Let me guess, this is the bit Vault said about the armour being female?”

Rin had been trying not to think about becoming a girl because the idea was so damn strange. Still at the back of his mind knew if the choice was be a dead guy or a live girl then it seemed appropriate to see what life was like on the other side of the fence. He wasn't a big macho type anyway, being built more as a slim wiry runner, and life in the slums had been hard enough that the first rule was always just survive, anything else was a bonus. When Key spoke she sounded apologetic.

You’re right Rin. Your symbiont and I are both female. We’re already bonded so there’s no way back, I know this isn’t something you would have wanted but there’s no other choice. We won’t be able to function otherwise and it will kill us all.

“So what are you going to do to me Key?” Rin felt nervous and afraid but resigned to his strange fate.

You’re going to sleep Rin, and I’m going to work with your and Yeshi's DNA. I’ll get a combination that produces the optimum female offspring of the two of you, plus some genetic extras that come with the whole Avatar thing. Then while you’re sleeping I will modify your body so essentially you become your own daughter plus bonuses. In a way you do get to father a child Rin, except you are that child as well. Your new body won’t be fully mature when you’re ready for the symbiont, just like the process would have been for Anari you will be adolescent in some ways. You will be unconscious while I integrate your symbiont into you. It’s exceptionally painful if done while conscious. When you come to, the process of augmentation followed by integration will be over. You will be adolescent still but complete and will then mature much more rapidly than normal and within months will be physically mature like you are now aged approx 24, the optimum, and that’s where you stay.

“Stay?”

Yes, you will be very long lived, only ageing in the last few years of your life, this is part of the gifts that being an Avatar brings.

“I just know I’m going to regret this but how long is long lived?”

I’m unable to say right now Rin, because of the exceptional circumstances, but I’m estimating at least 1500 years possibly considerably longer.

“Oh. Wow, I think.” It was a mind numbing thought and Key hastily diverted him.

Don't think about this right now Rin, it’s not important at the moment. First we both have to stay alive.

“Fair point that.” If you can grin mentally Rin knew he was doing just that.

You need to talk to Vault and explain what’s going to happen and that you'll be unconscious for it. We will be in the medical bay for the augmentation, and Vault will then need to get droids to manoeuvre us to Symbiont Laboratory where the implantation and integration will take place. It is critical that Vault maintains a supply of energy to our body during this processing, or we will have serious possibly fatal problems.

“Okay I will talk to him now, and let's get on with this.”

***

Vault’s subroutines observed the recovery lounge constantly but when Rin began to talk to himself, before going into a trance it was far enough outside of expected parameters that the main AI core was observing directly when Rin came to and explained his orders. The Vault AI accepted as evident that Key had successfully bonded with Rin, although it was apparent that this had proceeded much further and faster than recorded previously. Now the AI watched as Rin ate six of the energy bars that he had ordered before settling comfortably onto the bed. Vault programmed the lounge droids to ensure there was a supply beside the bed at all times. Rin explained the need for a constant energy supply meant that he might wake up and eat but would be back to sleep almost straight away. To the AI’s electronic consternation Rin also explained that during the process and until the armour was integrated the Key would be controlling his body.

Vault made the arrangements to ensure Rin's instructions were followed and then manoeuvred every sensor available to record as much data on the process as possible. According to Rin’s brainwaves he was not exactly relaxed but getting there. Finally he seemed to fall asleep. The AI observed as the brainwave patterns slowed to catatonic levels, as though in a coma. Then with a sudden spike, the opposite side of his brain lit up in a maelstrom of electronic activity, centred in portions of the brain that were generally never used. This continued for some time, with Rin lying motionless apart from the very shallow movements of his chest as he slowly breathed. Finally the electrical activity settled down to a more normal level of activity for a couple of minutes before suddenly the medical scanners reported an immense surge of activity throughout Rin's body.

The Key had combined and customised the DNA from Yeshi and Rin and was extremely satisfied with the result. The level of integration that had already been achieved had opened up possibilities that never existed before for augmentation and she pursued them fully. The customised viral DNA nanotech was distributed through the Keys neural and nervous interface and when everything was ready, she took hold of Rin adrenalin levels and his bodies electrical impulses, spiked them and began to rapidly expend energy as the new DNA was rampantly force produced throughout their body.

The process would take long hours and Key monitored her host’s progress at every stage, tending to the birth of her new body with infinite care. As the body’s energy levels fell, she considered raising the level of consciousness enough to eat more food before realising it was unnecessary. Vault's droids performed their assigned tasks efficiently, and began supplying intravenous fluids heavy with the necessary minerals, vitamins, salts, and energy. Finally the critical point was reached and Key isolated Rin's brain from pain signals as their body was tortured by genetic invasion.

***

Vault noted the beginning of physical changes that began to rapidly accelerate as they were recorded. Rin was a young male approximately 1m85cm in height massing about 75kg, with a slim build, now under the augmentation process he started to shrink. The scanners showed that his skeletal structure was rapidly losing mass, the long bones in his limbs thinning along their length and then shortening. The pelvic bones underwent major change first breaking, realigning along their new wider female proportions. The chest cavity compressed, rib cage tightening as if squeezed, ribs fracturing, before beginning to heal minutes later. Throughout his skeleton morphed as though made of plastic while internal organs moved to accommodate their more compressed location.

The AI noted the development of some new types of tissue, in various locations that appeared mostly hormonal. The development of what looked like a second heart was more interesting to the AI. As it formed the body's nervous system swiftly accommodated it, and it began pumping in tandem to the original as arteries and veins were rerouted. The sensors in the room recorded as the body shrank in on itself reducing in height by approx 10cm, hands and feet shrinking in perfect proportion, skull bones shrinking and reshaping to mould smooth female physiology.

The body regressed in age as masculine maturity was erased and female prepubescence took its place, skin colouring darkening slightly to reflect the genetic legacy of Rin's ancestors having been Nordic Caucasian while Yeshi’s Anari heritage reflected what a refugee from Sol would perhaps have recognised as a slight middle eastern heritage. The skin rippled as muscles were realigned, fat was redistributed, the smaller chest showing the beginnings of breast formation. Rin's loose shorts tightened as his hips widened, settling as his penis inverted and the formation of his womb and sexual organs began. The changes took long hours, and throughout Vault monitored an incredible depletion of mineral and energy reserves and maintained the constant infusion of fluids intravenously to keep the body within safe levels.

Finally the visible changes seemed to pause, Key taking a short break to allow the fluid drips to catch up before the remaining changes began. Vault' sensors noted increased tightening of musculature, the development of nano tube sheaths around critical organs, processes reminiscent of the general enhancements that a Guardian or Prime would have undergone making them faster and stronger, more dexterous, more durable. The changes Rin was undergoing were more extensive than Vault had previously recorded.

By the time the augmentation process was complete, the figure on the bed had transformed from prepubescent girl to adolescent woman, slim waisted and with the promise of beauty. When the medical scanners showed that the process had been completed the droids prepared the bed for movement to the Symbiont Laboratory. As the bed was moved Vault noted that although the figure was now measuring 1m 74cm her mass had actually significantly increased, now over 120kg.

The Symbiont laboratories were the main focus of the vault's existence, a robotic facility entirely controlled by the AI. The sterile lab comprised gene sequencing machinery, forced growth DNA culturing, and an operating suite where the candidates symbiont would be inserted into her body. The symbiont would complete its own instinctive bonding process governed by Key. The best Anari technology could only provide an environment for the process, not control it.

***

When the Anari discovered the ancient alien technology and archives they found a cache of the artefacts that looked like rings. Tiny samples of symbiont DNA that the Anari theorised had been used by the aliens were found but no whole symbiont was ever located. After decades of investigation and analysis the Anari learned enough to manufacture a prototype symbiont. When the prototype was tested with a control ring the Anari volunteer had suffered an agonising death while the symbiont successfully formed an armour suit before becoming unstable and terminating itself, after which its control ring had gone permanently inert. This first tragic failure gave the science teams huge amounts of data and they refined their understanding and experimented more.

Eventually the Anari scientists successfully managed to bond Anari, key and a symbiont, producing a warrior who went down in Anari history as one of the most celebrated in their history. All this occurred perhaps 2500 Sol years before the attack on the creche. The changes wrought on Anari society by the symbiont technology produced generals with huge skill, leaders with charisma and force of personality that was unmatched. The formation of the guardian and prime system led to a stable government that was able to dominate hundreds of light years of the galaxy. Their dominion was only a miniscule fraction of the galaxy itself, but enough that the Anari were recognised as a young developing power in their own right.

The Anari accomplished this without a true understanding of the technology they had acquired. The AIs were used within the symbiont facilities because of the immense computational power involved in developing the symbiont units, as well as the needs for security and sterility in the environments. Empirical science, trial and error eventually produced a biological organism that could be grown within the lab facility, which could be sustained almost indefinitely so long as sufficient reserves of power were available. This symbiont would rely upon its host for energy until it was sufficiently bonded to the host that the Key could initiate its organic energy core.

Initiating the energy core would provide access to vast amounts of power which would stabilise the symbiosis. Once stable the symbiont would spread rapidly throughout the body before forming the armour. Anari science knew the armour was organic and based around molecules that in a liquid form resembled silicates and ceramics. Physical damage to the armour would self repair very fast, and the host was able to operate in environments ranging from vacuum and extreme cold in space, to high pressure atmospheres toxic to unprotected Anari at high temperatures. Once in place the symbiont armour took the genetic enhancements that went with being an augmented Guardian or Prime and added raw power and durability governed by the processing ability of the Key, with a nervous system that processed data far faster than the human brain ever could. It was a potent mix and formed the basis for Anari power.

During its long isolation Vault continued the empirical science, making minute incremental modifications to the organism, testing to destruction, before recycling, analysing and producing the next generation, all very theoretical and within his original programming to further develop the technology that formed the Guardian culture. With vastly reduced power reserves after the attack and lacking available host the AI had been limited in what it could do. Therefore it chose to try and isolate those portions of the organism’s DNA that served to produce the organic energy core. The AI concentrated on increasing the core’s tolerances and improve its capacity under the logic that more available power was a better thing.

The result of Vault’s scientific work was that the symbiont available to combine with Rin's new body, would the AI theorised be a significant improvement on previous models. Either that or there was a small but definite chance that the new model would have gone further than the Anari body and Key could, which would be fatal. The AI declined to mention this data to Rin prior to the augmentation process as it realised that additional nervousness wouldn't do Rin any good, not that there was a choice anyway.

***

Vault directed the droids moving Rin's comatose form to the lab operating suite, through the airlock into the sterile environment. The droids rapidly sterilised the area around the symbiont insertion point, to minimise the chance of infection after the operation. The sophisticated robotic surgeon then positioned over the body and under the AI control first a laser scalpel incision was made then a miniature saw facility cracked open her chest cavity, before machinery carefully spread her rib cage slightly to provide access, while suction devices removed blood from the wound. Once this was completed the AI disconnected the symbiont from the storage facility's power supply and moved it into place next to Rin.

Time was now critical as the symbiont could only survive for minutes without its new host. The symbiont resembled a child's liver, with a bump at one end that the power supply had been connected to. As seconds passed the organism quivered as if realising its predicament and the bump morphed into tubular tentacle about 5 cm long. Ensuring the orientation was correct the AI inserted the organ into Rin's chest cavity fitting it slightly underneath her second heart. The symbiont was held in place for a few seconds before its gently questing tentacle brushed against the side of the Rin’s second heart and speared forwards forming a new attachment. The slow beating heart paused as the symbiont punctured it, then resumed its beat rapidly speeding up, Within seconds any trace of the wound in the heart muscle vanished as the symbiont adjusted the tentacle’s fit and healed the wound. The AI withdrew the operating implements and then closed up Rin's chest. If one could shine a light in Rin’s body you would have seen an explosion of activity from the symbiont and the Key. In one direction the Key extending its neural network into the symbiont organ, in the other the, symbiont began rapidly to spread tendrils into its new host.

Key was satisfied the augmentation of her new body was a complete success. Now Key maintained Rin's unconscious state as the AI performed the symbiont implant. Key knew the original users of the symbiont technoilogy had never had to go through anything as crude as chest cracking but the Anari had worked out a process that worked for their species. It made no difference in the long run. Monitoring the operation’s progress a portion of Key's attention ensured Rin didn't feel any pain, and temporarily paused her body’s healing process so it did not interfere. Most of Key's attention was focussed on the symbiont. The symbiont felt healthy, although its metabolism was faster than she anticipated. The operation would need completing as fast as possible before it ran out of energy.

Almost immediately Key felt the symbiont quiver after being removed from its energy link, followed by its feeling of hunger and awareness of falling energy reserves. The AI placed the organ within her body, and as the symbiont feeding tube emerged it brushed her new heart triggering its bonding spear into the muscle to form its new feeding tube. Immediately the symbiont's metabolism kicked back into high gear as it sensed the availability of fuel, rapidly drawing energy from Rin's body. Key felt it begin the process of expansion as it detected its new organic host, and the race to integrate was on. Key directed her nearest main nervous cluster to connect, which it did in seconds, while the symbiont sent out tendrils to surrounding organs beginnings to link in to Rin's body. Key noted her energy levels falling, although this was slowed by the infusions being received from the operating suite equipment and IV lines. Still it was apparent that initiating the energy core was going to be critical.

Through the new neural link to the symbiont Key exerted her control and began directing operations, feeling its compliance in return. The symbiont radiated intense hunger, a desperate need for energy, and the urge to expand and protect its new host. At this stage of its development the symbiont was like an infant following instinctive responses. Gently Key triggered the integration of the new organs the Vault AI had detected developing in her body. When the link was made she was able to start the production of the hormonal charge that would be needed to force the energy core to activate successfully.

The symbiont responded to Key’s control and ceased random connections to its host, fighting its instinctive drive to spread to reduce its energy demand as much as possible. Key ordered the preparations for the energy core and exotic biochemical changes began developing within the Symbiont’s core. As it did so Key became aware that the biochemical mix at the core of the Symbiont was not what she had expected. The energy demands of the symbiont were getting frantic and rapidly rising even as she fought to calm the organism and adjust the hormone mix in her supplemental organs to complement the core charge.

It would be close. Rin's body was beginning to suffer under the extreme energy demands being placed on it, and even under Key’s control her body could not keep up the transfer of energy for much longer. If the core link was not successful at the first attempt it would be too late for a second try. Rin's pulse and brainwaves began to spike erratically as adrenalin surged in spite of Key exerting control. The combined assault of the Symbiont energy demands and Key’s own needs were close to being too much. It was only seconds, but it felt like an eternity to the Key that could measure time in millionths of a second. The hormone organs, forced to accelerate production beyond their normal schedule by Key, finally charged to the right level.

Instantly Key fired the hormonal charges. The two swollen organs simultaneously delivered every molecule of the alien hormones through the feeding tubes to the symbiont’s dormant energy core. Their hormone charges delivered the organs shrank almost to nothing and Key shut them down, reducing her energy needs as much as possible. The symbiont’s dormant core, half full of the symbiont’s own chemicals was flooded by the surge. The exotic mix hit the right composition, chemicals reacted forcing a violent muscular spasm in the symbiont, and her core woke.

Rin’s comatose body contorted, spasmed and then screamed long and loud, as the most excruciating agony surged throughout every cell of her body. A gigantic fist hammered into her chest. Unimaginable power burning in her, overwhelming her cells and changing them, flooding onwards through her radiating from her core. Muscles contracted into spasms, daggers of pain stabbed Rin lancing through her traumatised brain. Rin wasn't conscious yet her mind would remember this. Vague unremembered nightmares would haunt her sleep for years. Rin’s brainwaves spiked once again then fell to normal levels as Key finally managed to contain the incredible energy surge.

Vault’s scanners burned out as an energy surge atomised most of the equipment in the lab, burning out what little was not destroyed immediately. In its hardened and shielded core Vault knew its functionality would not be impaired. The surge was unexpected but similar to experimental data from the early years of Anari research although seemingly more powerful. Vault’s working sensors showed the lab access had been fused closed. It would take 3 hours to regain access to the Symbiont laboratory before it could determine the status of the Prime. As Vault sent additional droids their instructions the Vault AI analysed what data it had, showing the Prime seemingly engulfed in a surge of crackling black flames of power.

Key knew in the tiniest fraction of time why the Symbiont’s energy demands were so high, and its metabolism so fast. It had been modified to move the core link higher up the energy gradient, and the energy flood was horrendous, far more than she had expected. Still she was the prime Key and was linked to an extent that actually offered the possibility of handling the link. If she failed it wasn't as though there would be anything left anyway. With all its attention now, knowing Rin would feel agonizing pain but with no other option, Key diverted the energy throughout her body, forcing the almost instant maturing and transformation of the cells as the warp energy burned through them.

As the warp energy hit her neural and nervous network the flood empowered her as well and Key diverted energy back to the core’s structure, forcing its expansion in seconds, erecting barriers to absorb the flood, before triggering the symbiont’s muscular new core chamber to contract. Finally the energy link was reduced, then stabilised to a nominal level, a forced balance where the energy link empowered the barriers that held it in place. If Vault’s sensors still functioned in the lab, they would have recorded a sphere of blazing black energy crackling around the body, suddenly enshrouded in jagged crimson fire before vanishing to nothing.

The body at the centre of the sphere fell with a thud to land in the perfectly formed crater carved by the ball of energy almost 3 metres across. The crater was eaten from the armoured floor and ceiling of the lab, with nothing left of the bed or nearby equipment. The remains of two attendant droids stood where they failed. Their remaining fried internal components visible where the energy sphere had eaten away their matter instantly. There was a moan and the body curled up into a foetal position before falling back into unconsciousness. Silence reigned in the lab again.

Key checked on her unconscious host. The damage caused by the warp energy was rapidly vanishing as Rin’s now fully empowered body healed her nerves, tissues and burns. Rin’s pain was successfully blocked once more and she would be fully healed in minutes. The armour symbiont was fully active now, and under Key’s guidance, began a methodical integration, radiating calm and a sense of protection and deep satisfaction now its energy demands were more than amply satisfied. With minimal gentle guidance Key ensured that the armour would fully assimilate then return to functioning at a minimal level.

Key noted the symbiont was now virtually mature due to its forced core growth, and was under pressure within Rin's overcrowded torso. Key instructed the symbiont on which organs where unnecessary now, including the twin hormonal chargers that had activated the core. Gradually the armour began to absorb them, releasing the pressure on itself, and freeing up room for future expansion if needed. Finally with all else well Key checked over her own links, ensured that Rin's brainwaves were satisfactory and started to work out just how far up the energy gradient, the Anari's armour Symbiont had climbed.

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Unheard of levels of tension.

Wa'allah, I swear it, this is most suspenseful!!!! Writing like this I have not seen!
I am liking this story very much, thank you. Maybe this young female warrior will kick the ass and take the name?

:)

Gwendolyn

Tension

Glad you like it Gwen! Plenty more to come yet.

legacy of the ancients

So it's less the legacy of the anari than rather legacy of the ancients :D
Stupid Vault AI... It almost killed Rin with it's tempering with the symbionts.

I guess Rin will have a scary wakeup time. I guess the key will help her though. At least she's alive and maybe she'll be able to return humanity to glory.

I was wondering why the Vault AI was using meters, but on the other hand it had a language update, so it might have had a meassurement update too.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,
please give us the next update faster :D

Beyogi

PS: Could you close your embedded html tags in the story, so not every text will be in itallic?

Stupid AI

LOL Beyogi. Yeah the AI definitely managed to make things more difficult for the Key. Still it had to do somethingto avoid being bored...didn't it?

Thanks for pointing out the open hypertext. Sorted now. Cheers.

Sounds like 'Key' will have

Sounds like 'Key' will have to notify Vault that the efficiency changes REALLY need to be reversed, as non-prime Keys won't be able to deal with it, let alone the patient.
that'
As for the measurement system; it doesn't matter what the system is, as long as it's consistent.

"I have been present for four of your earth years" doesn't make sense, if the person only knows about 'earth years'. 'four years' is good enough. The only time you should have to add a qualifier is if you're talking about another planet. "Four mercury years" - which would be meaningless to anyone who isn't an astronomer.

I personally get offended by some measurement usages in stories, but that's not for here :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Too much efficiency is a bad thing.

Good point that. Note to Ai, lets not use the improved symbionts for any reinforcements...corpses bad plus we will run out of labs ....

As far as measurements are concerned I only mentioned it too try and give a logical way of working out how long ago teh Anari were attacked. From here on in I think i can basically ignore that completely, at least i hope so cos it's a headache.

GREAT STORY

When will the movie come out?

Movie

OMG wouldn't that be the best!!

Let's see, first finish the book, sell the book, rewrite for movie, sell movie idea....OMG who would you have for the lead actress?

Gonna be a while i think but i can dream.

Sounds

like vault and the Anari was trying to make up with power from the lack of finesse lacking the full rapport of the key. Additionally, not completely understanding the technology nor being 100% compatible didn't help either. However, the Anari doesn't sound expansionist from what I can see here, so their being the bad guys in this doesn't seem likely. On the other hand, they might've been a part of one of those really nasty grudge, vendetta, feuding things like the Romans and Carthaginians, or the Greeks and Persians. Certainly someone really didn't like the Anari or Earth since they used a planet buster on it.

This is really great stuff!
hugs
Grover

Power v Finesse

Yeah the vault AI tweeking the symbionts is definitely a case of overcharging the supercharged turbocharger on the v16 monster.. A seriously bad idea, and very nearly totally fatal, but what's done is done.

The Anari were not particularly expansionistic bu in th egalaxy as it stands at the tim eof the story there are som ewho most definitely are. Gonna have a Galactic cold/hot war kind of thing in areas i think.

And you're right, the scumbags who busted up Earth, really really didn't like them!

Bravo....

Bravo ... I feel this can become a classic in time. Very well written even with the small annoyances people always find in others writing. When you get better and more confident in your writing these will always work themselves out. Besides I would like to see this become an epic like Star Wars. Keep up the good work. More, More. You have a lot of material to play with. Imagine, an entire universe to work with and 1500 years to do it in!!!

Epic

Hi SpinyRogue,

I'm really glad you're enjoying it so far. I've found as i write more I go back and look at stuff and think Damn why the hell did I write it like that! I think I have improved a lot already becasue I have been writing fan fiction in the Whateley universes as well and learned a lot doing that.

The scope really is huge, I mean I have four chunks written so far. Chapters 1-6 are the first chunk. 7 to about 14 are chunk 2, so there is plenty more on the way.

The story i have in my head already goes way beyond the 4 chunks I have written so far, and I am having a great time writing it.

I would love to do something with the scope of Star wars... damn that would be something else.

I really hope you carry on enjoyingthe story. Thanks for reading and please keep up with the comments.

Oh Dear

I'm going to suspend my story for a bit (Return to Sender)- it's a bit close to yours!
I'll rethink mine and take another track!
Yours is really well thought out - it makes a great read.
Thanks
Jen

Now that was intense.

Had to stop and make myself breathe there off and on.

Maggie

I get the impression Rin will be something unexpected even by ..

... her key.

!!!!!!!! SPOILERS PROBABLY !!!!!!

The Prime Key once fully integrated with her , well him yet at that point, said the Anari never fully could bond with the keys due to lack of knowledge -- they never had the symbiot that the ancients had, only the keys, so had to create their own -- and their strong immune system interfered with a full bonding with the keys thus they could not fully use the tech.

But 8500 years of almost obsessive methodical tweaking of the symbiot to produce/handle more power by the vault AI has produced a symbiot far above anything the key has experienced in ages, possibly not since its original people built it.

The combination of the dead but superior by Anari standards girls genetics, Rin's not at all bad genetics other than the weaker immune system that made the full integration possible and the nanotech of the AI that has enhanced Rin's immune system and all that blended then enhanced by the Prime Key in ways it never could attempt with an Anari host tells me Prime Rim will be something very special even by the original standards of the key's builders.

See I CAN write a run on sentence!

Even the Key was shocked at the power producing/using/controlling potential of the symbiot.

As to Rins's nightmares, I hope the Key and others that will flock to her leadership will allow her to overcome them.

If there is no base commander and staff to teach her , who will? The AI with major input from the Prime Key? Will she have to leave the Crèche and find outsiders to teach her? I am guessing since she can hear the key and the key her they will work together to instruct her. With the Anari they never were consciously in communication.

And just how long will she live? The key thought 1200 years possibly way more but this was before it completed the calculations to mix the best of his and the late Anari girl's genetics then enhance that given it was fully integrated with Rin and not the partial integration that the Anari achieved.

Given how the symbiot is so integral to her now, does that preclude her being a mother? Just how much internal space does the symbiot and second heart take up?

Carbon nanotube sheathing around the most critical organs and systems? Able to survive in vacuum, extreme heat, cold, pressure, toxic environs? And she weighs something like 260LBs despite being approx 5'10" and if anything a bit skinny but showing promise of *filling out* very beautifully? Then her aging will *stop* at 24?YIKES!

She's/will be a living breathing superwoman. A *brick* in superhero comics terms. And if she is like the Anari Primes and guardians -- only in her case she will likely be far more so -- she will be charismatic, a brilliant leader in war and peace, someone millions will follow willingly. The Anari chose Prime and Guardian candidates from the best of their best. Rin now has the genetics of their last Prime candidate -- assuming this was the last or only crèche -- mixed with this very best of his genetics -- and the Prime Key complemented Rin on his well ordered mind that was quick to learn and remembered exceptionally well . The Key took all this plus the nanite enhancements the AI was doing to Rin's body and has tweaked all that far beyond what any Anari ever was.

All I can say is WOW! The Key said her makers have long since ascended to higher dimensions -- IE demi gods or gods. With all the enhancements made by the Anari AI to the symbiot added with the unusual genetics of human mixed with Anari then optimized, just who far up the ladder to ascending to a higher plain IS she? Is she possibly immortal? Or capable of becoming so? The Keys are organic enties. Is she capable of becoming or making Keys? Would her offspring even need a key to accept a symbiot?

Nice that the Key pointed out Rin will be in fact her own daughter so Rin can say, in a way he was a father. I just hope SHE can be mother.

As to Kick Ass? If and when she kicks ass there will be no ass left! I hope both the AI, now called Vault, and the Prime Key can convince Rin to refuse the path of vengeance and go for justice, for restoring order and hopefully the Human/Anari race/civilization. Maybe with her great abilities she can bring peace, not just win the war.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I don't think Blaze has said

I don't think Blaze has said that the keys are organic. I don't think he/she's said one way or the other.

As for the symbionts, they are the same as the original species used. They just didn't find _complete_ symbiotes, just the 'genetic code', for lack of a better term. Note that the Key mentioned that the chest cracking wasn't necessary for the original species, and that the 'feeding organ' didn't have a problem going for the heart.

With what's been said before (This story is taking some of the multi-dimensional physics from "The Gods Themselves", by Isaac Asimov), what the AI managed to do is create a symbiont that is reaching much further up the energy ladder (dimensional/warp gradient) than the original ones. That's why it took so much energy to kick start it. I'd point to that meaning that she'll be next to immortal, if not ascending to another plane (Maybe not immediately, but in a few thousand years).


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Keys

The Keys are a combo of technology and biotechnology. I had envisioned the 'green layer' in the ring been the bit surrounded by the metallic technology when I was writing that bit. The symbionts are the result of Anari experiments with growing the DNA samples they had found, with modifications to work with Anari. Biut they are also very Russian engineering. BUild it, see if it works, if it does cool, if not build something else and see if it works..

She definitely is not going to have to worry about running out of energy anyt time soon, or at all probably.

Spoilers!!!

HEY!!!NO FAIR...WHO STOLE MY SCRIPT!!!! LOL. ;)

Impressively long sentence there John.

Yeah she's gonna be a tough cookie, the armour has a lot of potential, but bear in mind she would have to have the armour fully 'on' to get the full benefit, which would nt be terribly stealthy. Hmm is that a spoiler? Nah maybe a hint though...he he

I think that she 'should' be able to hold her own against some of the galaxy's tougher critters...well eventually anyway.

Enjoy the next chapter mate.

Heh heh

Breathe....1, 2, 3,.....Breathe....1, 2, 3....

Please don't forget to do this on a regular basis Maggie or I will have peeps hunting me down!!!!

Cheers

People's Republic of Haven

Maggie is being watched over by the People's Republic of Haven? Sorry, this space tale gave me a Honor Harrington flashback. Just pray it isn't Admiral Cluster-bomb in charge. She has a penchant for using the Whiff-of-Grape-Shot solution.

You really surprised me. A space opera operating room drama? My Gawd, we almost lost her on the table! My Gawd, we did LOSE the table and most of the room! She's going to need a lot of care, but it seems Key is a very advanced intelligence much more so than Vault. I do worry about that part with the nightmares because of the traumatic operation. With the type of power that it's beens suggesting she'll have, you don't want her becoming unstable!

Again an amazing tale!
hugs!
Grover
PS: I love your Whateley Fanfic too!

Peeps

LOL!

I absolutely loved the Honor Harrington books, so I will take that comment as a major compliment. THANK YOU!

Glad i was able to surprise you. You and John have being doing really well in unraveling some of the ideas behind the story.

I dont think she neds to worry about being unstable...perhaps more of a concern is that all this power in the hands of a slumrat whose basic standpoint is survival first everything else second. Pragmatic? totally, gonna help with the gender issue? probably, able to shoot the bad guys out of hand? Um yes that too.

Got to say if the treasure that is Maggie was being stalked by the Peeps, the Manties would be there in no tim eflat...totally not allowed.

Glad you're enjoying Synthaera as well, it is getting slower writing that no that I have started focussing in this story but I am still making progress...just not very fast is all...

Later

Legacy of the Anari - 4

Sounds as if Rin is about ready for her new role.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Powers

Very strong "bones" - check.
Strong regenerative abilities - check.
Up to this point she reminds me of a certain superhero very famous in an X group.

But, we must add:

Extreme inteligence.
Perfect Memory.
Does not need to eat.
Possible energy bursts.
Enhanced Strength?

Also, charisma is not a power, but is very usefull.

Yes, she would be a superhero a level above our mutant friend.

This kind of character is quite difficult to write about, since no foe can really put her in danger, but in a galaxy full of enemies you will have less difficulties than usual.
Besides, you already proved that you can write and, most important:
NO INVULNERABILITY.
She is difficult to hurt, but not impossible withough Kryptonite.
Keep up the good work.

powers

Hi Eduardo, glad you're still with me.

In this universe there are plenty of people out there who will be able to do her serious damage, and she is definitely not invulnerable. Hopefully I will keep the balance right.

She is gonna need every trick she can come up with sooner or later...

Enjoy the next chapter!

My susupicion is she will use the armor in ways the Anari...

never imagined or even use features they never knew it had.

She is after all the first being fully integrated to the symbiot and the key in, well, almost forever, at least since their creators left his plain of existence.

Makes me think she will eventually be able to be in full or near full armor but look normal. However her future turns out, she is a wild card, an unknown.

Question is WHO can teach her other than herself and the key as she is so beyond anything the Anari knew and possibly beyond what the prime key experienced. She is NOT of the creators of the keys race and with the extreme power boost all bets are off..

As to weaknesses, the creators of Superman lamented how later artists added Kryptonite and susceptibility to magic to his weaknesses. They felt those were cheap devices and unneeded as though he was super powerful and super fast he still could not be everywhere all the time. Thus though Rin may well after an initial period of trailing/experimentation be all but invulnerable, her friends and family will likely not be invulnerable.

IE her foes can *get* to her by hurting/killing those she loves. She will need to get the crèche up and running fully again and thus get the backing of the key Guardians.

Still wonder about the race that destroyed Earth . Are they the same as these Viking like space pirate/raider lizard beings? Or another race entirely? Or is this just proof of authority broken down in the aftermath of a pyrrhic victory by those who destroyed the humans?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The problem with armor is

The problem with armor is that there always will be someone who developes a weapon that gets past the armor. This is a scy fi + magic universe, surely there is something she'll be vulnerable too. The key and the armor hasn'T been made by gods, but by other intelligent beings. Maybe she can stand up to a battleship laser, but on the other hand she might be vulnerable to a simple itching spell.

I guess Rin being Warp Avatar will give her awesome fire power and maybe also creative power. Like restoring the creche or summoning a battlefleet out of thin air, or maybe not :D
I guess we'll only see in the next installments, which hopefully come soon, what the real extends of her powers are. I'd guess some meassure of teleportation and the awesome fire power I mentioned before. The Primes are supposed to be charismatic leaders and great strategists. She'll surely need some great strategy if she wants to restore humanity and the anary to former or unknown glory.

I figured the aliens that destroyed earth are somekind of eternal nemesis for humanity. Once they destroyed most of humanity and humanity as a united race they just stopped caring. A raced without a planet is not really able to thrive.

Beyogi

I don't see how invulnerability could have come into the mix

... as clearly if one is invulnerable, one would not need to regenerate from damage as has already been implied in the listing of her powers. One may have access to a large pool of energy, one suspects how fast that energy can be drawn upon to heal severe damage, so it is possible to be overloaded.

The premise of this story is cool. I am going to stick my neck out and guess that the Anari might have some remnants somewhere. It would be interesting if that were the case as it would mean Rim may want to find them and maybe restore them as a viable species again.

Kim

It Does Seem...

...that our armored heroine will be able to blast her way out of the Anari complex to the planet surface when she needs to.

Plenty of questions when she does, even apart from what she's going to do and who she'll be doing it with. The big one that I'm wondering about -- I think I mentioned it previously in a slightly different context -- is what has happened to the Anari in the 8500 years that Vault has been out of touch?

Are there other Prime bases in Anari space? Seems to me there must be; I can't see any race putting all their Keys in one basket, so to speak. But if not, the Anari have been without an enhanced leader for something over 7000 years, which doesn't sound good for their current well-being. There may not be any Anari left, or they may be skulking around with their homes destroyed the way Earth people have been.

On the other hand, with millennia of improved science and technology behind them now, the Anari may have solved all the enhancement problems (synthetic keys? fully integrated symbionts? full grasp of or improvement on the system they inherited? androgynous keys and symbionts that can work with either sex?), perhaps even to the point where Rin turns out to be unique, but not all that special, powerwise, among Anari Primes.

(Which leads, sort of, to the question as to how Vault plans to use the information that he has gathered from watching (most of) Rin's conversion process. Granted, he's an AI and can't help getting data and thinking about it. But as far as I know he doesn't have any Anari or humans as potential hosts or any way of getting them -- though he'll have a window to Anari space when Rin breaks out -- and no more Prime Keys. Are there other, lesser keys around the base, that either hadn't been assigned yet or belong to other dead Anari youth that we and Rin haven't seen?)

And what happens to a Prime Key after its enhanced host's life ends? If it survives and can be removed from the body, is it reusable? (If not, how come the keys weren't used up a long time ago? If so, could Rin's have been salvaged if he had died on the operating table?)

Fun story. We'll have to see where it goes.

Eric

EDIT: Inadvertently cut off my last sentence and signature.

Keep in mind that Vault has

Keep in mind that Vault has connections to _facilities_ - note the plural.

The entrance that Rin used was only one of many.

I would suspect that with the additional power, and some instruction, the facilities can, and perhaps will, be put back into full production. Vault simply didn't have instructions or background to do so - it wasn't designed for it.

As for the planet, it's looking like _this_ is the 'home' for humans, not Earth. If she can start bringing humans 'home', many will probably start to work HARD at rebuilding their society.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

facilities

Sadarsa's picture

i think he meant "facilites" as in med bay, food production, showers, electricity, symbiotic vault.. ect

given the timelines i'd think that humans are more like.. cousins to the Anari...

reason i say that is because otherwise the author would have serious timeline issues, as humans have been on earth for well over 200,000 years (some sourses say 500,000) AND this story is obviously in the distant future. The events at the Anari base were *only* 8,500 years ago. Add a few more zero's to that number and we can speculate that the Anari are the ancestors of moderen human life, but as is... nope. Cousins at best.

--SEPARATOR--

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

It is possible

to win every battle and lose the war. I agree with John, she can't be everywhere, and humanity is in a very fragile position. We're just galactic refugees without anyone representing or looking out for our interests. The other major question is the survival of the Anari. At this point we just don't know. Did the same Aliens that blew up Earth the same ones that attacked the Anari? Did they actively hunt down the entire race? If so any surviving worlds might be just isolated pockets or possibly fallen back into the stone age which is what seemed to happen to the Altath clan on Earth.

At first Rin is going to run circles around her enemies until they get organized. However remember she's very angry and might be even more so given what's happened to her. Think about all that power she has in the hands of a very pissed off regressed back to a teen brimming over with hormones. The first encounters aren't going to be nice.

Training is going to be a toughie. Unless Vault and Key come up with something it's going to be OJT. On the Job Training could be, err, messy! Don't make me angry?

Additionally she doesn't have any resources such as a ship or other ways of travel. Of course
Warp Avatar is suggestive she might not even need one. At any rate her introduction to others is going to be interesting. There is at least one fairly large city on this world so we will have to wait and see.
It's so exciting!!!!
hugs
Grover

uh huh

I also can't imagine her being capable of interstellar travel at will as that would be a frightful expenditure of energy, Warp Avatar or no. She probably could mop the floor with that hunting party I suspect but she can probably be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. She is not a Mary Sue.

Kim

Why would it be a frightful

Why would it be a frightful expenditure of energy? As species apparently do it all the time, I would consider it simply another way to use the Warp.

That said, I doubt it will be feasible for her to do so, simply because of logistics. You can zip through interstellar space, but what do you do while you're there, and how do you haul stuff, like people? It's easier to simply have a ship with integral life support.

That's something that's always irritated me about comic books.

"I'm here, on this remote planet, and I don't need anything!" (Yeah, no toilet paper, no soap, no change of clothing, no knife, nada) "I've just rescued sixty people, and I need to take them back home. Gee, I'd better find a bubble big enough to hold air for them for the trip back!" (Yeah... how long is the trip, you're going to drag the thing, and they're just supposed to bounce around like bugs in a bottle?)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Great Story

I just found this story, and went back and read it from the start. This is great! The quality of writing and the complexity of the plot and background, you could have a full length novel by the time the story is done being told.

I look forward to my installments.

Dance it the dream you're in

Dance the dream you're in

Yep

I'm enjoying this one tremendously. The only problem I spot is one I get too, well, sometimes at least?
Too many, eh, what I like to think of as, 'good', ideas :)

If you know what I mean? They sort of come out and they give you all this inspiration, but they also become hell on wheels remembering after a while. with new ones introducing themselves constantly, making the old almost boring, as well as time consuming to fit in. :)

But you put it together very sweetly.
Don't give up on this one.