Best Friends

Printer-friendly version

Best Friends

By J. L. Wendelin

We’ve always been a pair, haven’t we?

Ever since we met, that first day of fifth grade, both of us new to town and, who was it, Tommy Ridgeway I think, was giving you a hard time. You had on your Red Sox hat with your long hair pulled out through the back. He kept trying to take your cap but you were faster. You were toying with him almost, letting him get close only to duck away at the last second. Boy, was he pissed. Then he called that jerk — you know, the big guy, never washed his hair, I forget his name. Anyway, when the two of them started after you I came over to help you. We sure gave them what for!

You ended up with a bloody nose and I got a black eye. But the whole playground cheered when you kicked Tommy in the nuts — he’d bullied everyone for so long. Oh, and the dirty look the principal gave us when he came into the office and there we were, reliving the blow-by-blow, giggling about it, you holding a towel to you nose and me with an ice-pack on my eye. Never bothered us again ’though, did they? Or anyone else when we were around.

Who woulda thought that day we’d be here, fifteen years later.

You always played the “tomboy”, tough-as-nails, but so kind and sentimental on the inside. You cried when I accidentally hit that squirrel with my bike. It was hurt bad and I wanted to put it out of it’s misery, but you…you went over and reached down to comfort it. Then it bit you! The look on your face was hilarious: the shock, pain, and confusion. I started laughing at you holding your bleeding hand and swearing, at first angry then laughing yourself. Of course, they had to kill the poor bugger anyway and test it for rabies and you had start those shots in the stomach until the test came back negative. They let me stay with you when you got the shots, even though we were both just kids. You squeezed my hand so hard it hurt — but not as much as your pain from those monster needles. I saw your jaw clench and the tears in your eyes.

Remember co-ed softball in junior-high? Everyone would underestimate that short kid on third-base, until you’d explode into action. No one was faster chasing down balls. Sure, I could hit a lot better but I couldn’t beat you at fielding, or stealing bases for that matter.

I don’t know about you, but I’ll never forget our first kiss. That hot August night, lying in the grass, watching the Perseid meteors streak overhead, just talkin’ ’bout stuff. We both were quiet for a bit until you rolled on to your side and, with your hand holding up your head said, “I think I love you.” You leaned over and kissed my cheek. I was shocked. I mean, we’d been friends, like, forever but I’d never though of it that way. I turned to face you and you reached out, pulled me in and kissed me again, this time on the lips. I liked it. It felt good. It felt right. Soon we were lost in more kisses and more. We kinda forgot about the meteors.

By high school we’d both pretty much given up sports. I mean, I was becoming Mr. Academic and you…well, you started down the art and design path. You were making your own clothes by then and then started creating pieces and even whole outfits for everyone in our group. Some of those early getups were pretty goofy looking, even you have to admit that. Still, we were all of us pretty much outcasts and your clothes helped to reinforce that. You were cross-dressing all of us by then, in some form or another, not just yourself. But damned if we didn’t show them with Midsummer.

Your costumes were perfect. You took moth-eaten crap that had been hanging in the theater’s attic and turned it into a something magical. You outfitted the gods as Victorian ladies and gentlemen and the fairies as sexless sprites. But Nick Bottom and his band were gender-confused, free-spirits. You took what you normally dressed us in, twisted it a bit, (which didn’t seem possible but you did), and gave those “rude mechanicals” a whole new form.

And then there was Titania. Her costume you made from scratch. Flowing and diaphanous, hiding and highlighting the curves of the fairy queen; it certainly drew more than a few comments. I’m surprised Ms. Johnson let Jenny Williams wear it. But she was going to retire that year anyway so I don’t think she cared. And I think she had a thing for Jen. Now that I think about it, almost everyone, male or female, had “a thing” for Jen at one time or another — you and me included. After the show her mom came storming back stage, swearing up and down that “Jen was not going to wear that ‘slutty gown’ tomorrow night”? Ms. Johnson finally got her calmed down. Meanwhile, I had to hold you back so you wouldn’t rip Mrs. Williams’ head off for calling your costume “slutty”.

And here we are…. You’re a successful designer, I’m a struggling writer, and we’re still a couple. Kinda incredible, isn’t it?

Damn, it’s getting late. I think just nodded off there for a bit; this chair is pretty comfy. I’ll just curl up here. I know you’re sedated and haven’t heard a word I’ve said, although, I don’t know. They say even heavily sedated people are at least partly aware of what’s going on around them. So maybe you picked up some of it. Anyway, the doc says the surgery went well and she doesn’t think there’ll be any problems. ’Though you still got a bunch of healing to do and probably some pain for a while, it looks like your sex finally matches your gender.

I’ll be here with you all night and in the morning. And many more beyond. I love you. Goodnight, sweetie.

 © 2007 JLW


Thanks to everyone who gave this a preview and made suggestions and edits. Angela, Kristina, John, Grover and Janet. (Especially Janet, for the title.)

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Best Friends

Jamie

Thank you, this is very well written and diffenitly touches the heart.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

Best Friends Forever

.. Wow, this story actually tore at my heart to make think about my situation in real life with my best friend in the entire world. Imagining all those scenes, was a nice daydream you created for me! When I think about my best friend, the outward sex does not matter at all to me. How my friend presents herself does not matter to me. All that matters to me is she is comfortable being who she is and is happy.

And if one is lucky enough to have a best friend in which the feelings surpass the form and are lucky enough to be together throughout life with an understood love between one another, I would pretty much have to say you have heaven on earth in your life and you are truly blessed. I will always be there for my best friend, Jamie, just like yours in your story..... forever.

Many Hugs

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Best friends is best!

Jamie I loved the preview you gave me and the finished version is wonderful! Very nicely done and well written!
Hugs!
grover

I must admit....

I kind of sneered when I saw the title, but I am glad now that I read it because, as Ron White so succinctly stated... I was WRONG.

Very nice and I enjoyed it!

DD

Very Nicely Done

Kept me guessing until the last, and a bit beyond, but I got it eventually! And since I did, I find myself smiling repeatedly. Very sweet.

Real friends ...

... can be so hard to find, especially during the school years. This story reminded me of one of my best friends in school. I drew a lot of attention for the way I acted. As hard as I tried, it seems as if some bit of femininity managed to peek out. This made it difficult for other people to remain friends with me, since they were accused of being like me for associating with me.

For some reason, this particular friend never let all the hassle he got to push him away from me. Being referred to as a homosexual (I won't go into the actual names he and I were called) was one of the worst things anyone could be accused of in high school.

Nothing romantic happened between us, despite the accusations we received from our peers. At the same time we were more than just friends. I'm not really sure what to call it. To me, it was real friendship, not the kinds of friendship I'd seen between most boys.

Was it the kind of friendship a boy and girl could have? Was it a friendship that went beyond gender? I'm not sure about either question. What I am sure of is how glad I was to have someone to stand beside me, no matter what, through one of the most hellish experiences of my life.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Subtle

You showed us the power of a velvet touch combined with raw emotions. Griping.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Belated kudos

As I said at Stardust and privately, this is a effective short monolog.

In a long story this style would never work but here it rang true. The monolog sounded like the way a long-time friend/lover would talk to their friend/mate.

Who or what each person is here MtF, FtM, intersexed to M or F only or any other combination you can think of does not matter. It is there intense friendship and love that endures.

I was privileged to be asked my thoughts on a draft verson and am impressed with the final output.

Bravo.

John in wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

2nd person is difficult to handle but ...

... you've handled it beautifully here. I suppose it's always going to be a monologue and here, that's what you'd expect once the situation is finally revealed. Another thing that's hard is a very short piece, though perhaps the style of your story makes anything other than short even harder. I have a best friend too - had her for over 42 years, the last 40 happily married. We're just in an ordinary, vanilla, relationship, but this short piece echoes our feelings and goes to show that it's what's inside that matters; the outside is important, but not the most important.

To top it all, it's very well executed and gets my top rating of 4 stars - 5 are reserved for that mythical perfect story that hasn't (yet) been written. Thanks.

Thanks to all

Thank you all for the comments, and especially the more critical ones by my previewers. I know I tend to go towards more sweet/romantic/emotional type stories and its nice to have an appreciative audience.

The situation of talking to someone who was only partially aware did happen for me although not at all like this situation. I tried to use some of what I felt then while writing this.

I thought, initially, to attempt a story in first person plural after reading excepts from such a one in Francine Prose's "Reading Like a Writer" but realized I couldn't sustain it. Though the first two sentences remain. The second-person works but you need be far more talented than I to take it much beyond a short piece like this.

I was trying to be tricky about hiding the sex of the person being spoken to. Although, in my mind she was physcally male until her surgery, I'd hoped she could be read as either male or female and it would still work. And I think I came pretty close to pulling that off.

Thanks again,

Jamie

You pulled it off

Jamie, I feel you did a very good job of keeping the gender aspect up in the air until the last. It's just that seeing this story here on BC predisposes people to look for the gender "gotcha", so we keyed in on it faster than an "ordinary" group of readers would. I've seen enough twists in the stories here that I tried not to jump to a conclusion before finishing reading.

And I also love the sweet/romantic/emotional stories. We always need more love!

"air-kiss" Well done!

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Loves it!

This is very touching! I really enjoyed the second person point of view, as well as the descriptions of their childhood together. Reading it, I was almost afraid that the ending would be a funeral, but I was pleasantly surprised upon reaching the end, I must say.

More, more!

Melanie E.

wish we all could have

a friend like him, of whatever gender.

DogSig.png

I absolutely adored this!

So loving and wonderful! This is a great story!

Wren

Had to comment in this

Raff01's picture

Had to comment in this wonderful story. A quick read with a great story behind. Wish I had found this sooner, but it was still enjoyed