Slacker Part 2

Printer-friendly version
Slacker-
Part Two

by:
Moongoddess


Esther is certain she can remake her good for nothing, slacker of a son into a worthwhile and industrious member of society. Artie… well…

I would like to thank my Beta Readers, Donjo, Bailey and Lisa for their input and ideas. I'd also like to thank all of you for giving me a place to share my work. Last but not least, I'd like to thank my lovely Muse, Dani for everything she is.
All characters copyright 2011 BolaDesign Studios. Image Copyright SuperArtistbOy.

~o~O~o~


Five

“‘I love to go shopping. I love to freak out salespeople. They ask me if they can help me, and I say, "Have you got anything I'd like?" Then they ask me what size I need, and I say, "extra medium.’ - Stephen Wright”

~o~O~o~

“Way to put Barbie girl in her place Miss,” Sonya grinned crookedly, “How can I separate you painless from your money?” Artie took the extended hand and smiled back, her anger evaporating.

“Well as I explained to your walking mannequin, the airline lost all my luggage and I need clothing… skin out figured I’d get the basics here before heading to West 49th and Sport Chek for boarding gear.” Artie smiled again. Sonya looked her up and down.

“Sorta figured you for a boarder, you said you’re here for BoardStock?” Sonya asked, “Competing?” Artie nodded.

“Hope too… but like I said, all my gear…” Artie trailed off sourly.

“Yeah, though you kinda look like a board bunny in that outfit,” Sonya grinned her crooked grin again, “tell you what… let’s get you tidied up and I’ll clock out … then I can show you where the real boarders shop… first clue, it’s not a mall. I can tell you’re not from Vansterdam. I’m Sonya, by the way.” She shook Artie’s hand firmly. Artie had a moment of panic… then it dawned on her, keep it simple.

“Nice to meet you Sonya, I’m Marnie.” She smiled. Sonya took her to the underwear section.

“Ok Marnie, did Barbie get your measurements?” Sonya asked, “I need to know what to grab and how much money I’m gonna make today.” She smiled. Marnie smiled back.

“We had just gotten to that discussion when she went all frosty on me… I used to wear a ten,” Marnie pulled a number out of the air, "but I’ve been training for the last four months and most of my old gear was loose… this is Sally Ann surplus.” She indicated what she had on. Sonya clucked her tongue.

“Yeah, Barbara was never really a hands on sorta sales girl.” She turned Marnie towards the change rooms, “We’ll get a tape and figure out what’s best in the basics, then I’mma gonna get all personal shopper on your ass girl.” Marnie giggled, which shocked the hell out of her.

“You have got to be shitting me, her real name is Barbara?” Marnie was astounded. Sonya grinned wickedly as she closed the door behind them.

“Sure as shooting,” she laughed, “I’m not sure if her boyfriend is named Ken though. Her kind doesn’t ‘slum’ with the people.” Sonya looked at Marnie, “Ok, I can’t measure you through the clothes…” Marnie smiled and stripped off her layers to the underwear and Sonya got busy with the tape.

“Cool, 5’7 in socks, hips 37 inches,” Sonya paused to write on a clipboard, “Waist is…26 inches, nice! And bust is 34 inches…” she moved the tape, “ohhh a B cup. Aren’t you just the bucket of sexy?” Sonya laughed and Marnie felt heat in her cheeks, was she blushing?

“Oh get on with it,” Marnie growled with a smile, “you have your specs list and I’m freezing. Can you get me three or four days of unders though, so I can do laundry?” Sonya chuckled, deep in her throat.

“Yes boss lady! But not all from here and not all sports.” She ducked out the fitting room door and left a near naked Marnie alone in front of a full length mirror, alone and rapidly sobering up.

‘So this is me now,’ she thought as she looked at herself in the mirror closely for the first time, ‘Sonya is right… I am sexy… Why isn’t this driving me nuts? I was a guy yesterday…’ she ran through her memories of the day. She could recall things more clearly than usual, even though she had been stoned. ‘Weird, ever since mom showed me my hand… I’ve been calling myself her and she in my mind, accepting that I’m a girl. My balance has been compensating for my t…breasts and hips without even having to think about… what did Mom’s lab monkeys come up with? A girl Captain America serum?’ she filed this though away for further study and turned around to see her bum. ‘Nice… I must send them a thank you note and then beat some answers out of them… ok… calm now. Ewwww my hair is nasty… and I smell… ok… I’m sorry Barbie…’ The change room door opened and Sonya handed her a sports bra and hipsters.

“Put these on, they’re your first purchase,” she said as she gathered Marnie’s original clothing into a cloth drawstring bag, “panties and socks off… do you need a liner?”

Marnie wasn’t sure what Sonya meant, but took a chance and nodded yes. Sonya handed her a packet and left Marnie to find more clothing.

‘Ok gotta do this…’ Marnie thought as she stripped off the underpants and socks. She looked at the plastic wrapped packet and tore it open, ‘this looks straightforward enough… I’m pretty sure the adhesive doesn’t go on the skin’ she shuddered at the image that popped into her mind, ‘so… pull on the underpants and…’ she managed to secure the liner in the crotch of the underwear and pull them snugly up. She held up the sports bra and examined it. ‘Looks like a short, stretchy wife beater…’ and pulled it over her head, unconsciously leaning forward to settle her breasts in the bra. Marnie straightened up and looked in the mirror at the reflection of herself / of a complete stranger and had a momentary surge of dizziness. ‘What the fuck was that?’ she thought before the door opened and Sonya came in with an armload of stuff.

“Ok, I put a selection of underwear at the cash with the tags from what you have on…”she looked at the blank expression on Marnie’s face with concern, “you ok? You look a little pale and weirded out…” Marnie shook herself out of here staring contest with the mirror.

“Yeah… I was just noticing how much I could use a wash, I might even have to apologize to Barbie.” She lied smoothly, “Anyways, what you got there miss Shopper?” Sonya grinned.

“Only the best selection of skater gear the Gap has to offer…” she laughed, “which is to say… not a lot. Ok package of tights, red… the red plaid of your jacket was a good colour for you, so I went with it, red tee shirt with a black tank to go over it loosely, distressed skinnies in black… we’ll get you a belt elsewhere, red socks and voila… get dressed and I’ll meet you at the cash with some other stuff then I’ll take you to a couple of good shops and see if I can find you a sink for your wash up…” Sonya chuckled and left the room.

Marnie picked up the tights and opened the package, they were tiny but stretchy. She struggled for a minute or two, but got them in place. The rest of the procedure was easy and she was slipping he deck shoes over her socks and checking out her reflection again shortly. As she looked at the young woman in the mirror, something in the back of her mind was slightly uncomfortable… everything looked ok and the reflected image seemed relaxed, but something just felt…off. Marnie sighed and gathered up her old clothing in the bag Sonya had left behind, all but the jacket and her hip pack. Checking that she hadn’t forgotten anything, she exited the room and walked to the cash desk at the front of the store.


Six

“‘The quickest way to know a woman is to go shopping with her.’ - Marcelline Cox”

~o~O~o~

Sonya had everything rung up by the time Marnie got to the register for a grand total of *gulp* $740.25 and four largish bags of clothing that would actually fit. Opening her pouch, Marnie took out $750.00 and settled up with Sonya, who then ducked into the manager’s office and quickly rejoined Marnie.

“O.K. Marnie, I’ve clocked out… believe me, Liz was happy to let me take the time off.” Sonya smiled mischievously, ‘She’s happier still that I have probably stopped a big customer service hassle. Anything else in the mall you need or are we going more hardcore right away?” Marnie thought for a moment.

“Is there a decent sports store in the mall and an electronics place?” she asked, “cause I need a backpack for this stuff,” she hefted her purchases, “and I need a MP3 player and a netbook. God only knows when Air Canada is gonna cough up my stuff, so I need access to the cloud.” Sonya grinned, which seemed like second nature to her.

“Your wish is my Etc…” she pointed to the Sport Chek and the Future Shop across the mall and down a level, “I can probably get you employee prices at both joints, I have friends in low places… retail, I mean.” She chuckled merrily. Marnie found her spirits being lifted by the gentle good humour of this new… friend?

“Well then, ‘Lay on MacDuff and damned be him that first cries Hold, Enough’,” Marnie tossed out the quote casually. Sonya’s grin threatened to crack her face in half.

“You are so not a board bunny! There’s a brain behind those blue eyes and blond roots,” She pushed Marnie towards the escalator, “dish! Or am I asking too much for a first shopping trip?” Marnie thought for a moment then decided it could be good to have an ally. She shrugged.

“Mom wanted the perfect child, great grades, good looking, and low maintenance. Grades were easy; I loved school and learning, hated the popularity contest that junior and senior high school became.” She shook her head, “I think mom would have been happy with Barbie back there. I started boarding seriously in grade ten. My grades didn’t fall so mom didn’t even notice till just last spring I guess.” She sighed and looked at Sonya. “As long as I was at school or out, everything was fine with her… I barely saw her. But I graduated last spring… she wasn’t even there, and she saw a lot more of me…” Sonya flinched a little.

“And she saw you weren’t her perfect little china doll anymore, right?” Sonya sighed, “And your dad…?” Marnie paled a bit.

“Dad… my daddy,” she actually felt tears stinging her eyes, “he… he passed when I was ten… something he got at his lab I think. Mom threw herself into the company and well… two solitudes.” Marnie took a shaky breath, “anyway, I had some money squirreled away and signed up for competition. Practicing kept me out of her way and gave me a goal to think about, other than our crummy family dynamic.” She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, “sorry to unload on you like that Sonya, I mean I barely know you…”

Sonya looked at Marnie for a moment and gathered the smaller woman into a hug. Marnie relaxed into the hug and some of the first human contact she had felt for far too long. She felt her tears start and let them go. Sonya just held the sobbing girl till the worst was over, then as Marnie’s crying eased, walked her to the nearest bench and sat her down.

“Better Marnie?” she passed her a tissue, “I could tell you had something bottled up, but wow… did you ever need to meet me!” Sonya smiled and wiped Marnie’s eyes, “good thing you didn’t have your makeup on or you would be a raccoon…” Marnie blew her nose and looked into Sonya’s eyes.

“You are probably the best personal shopper on the planet,” she giggled, “What do I owe you for this?” Sonya snorted.

“Haven’t decided what shrink services are worth yet my new friend,” she smiled a gentle smile, “Yes, friend. You need at least one out here and hey, you seem like a mostly fun, sarcastic gal… I like that.” She held out her hand which Marnie took and shook firmly. “But my new friend Marnie, you do stink, however I have a cure for that.” Sonya dragged her towards the Sport Check.

~o~O~o~

Esther on the other hand wasn’t feeling quite as calm as her daughter at that moment. It had been over two hours since Artie had somehow got away from the house. Esther was frantic, slowly realizing the enormity of what she had actually done to her own son, what if the serum had killed him? ‘Oh lord! And I took away his very identity… all I could think about was that sweet 10 year old son that David and I had…’ she glanced around the kitchen, trying to hide her tears from herself.

Esther’s eyes landed on an envelope from Artie's high school and desperate for any distraction, she grabbed it and tore it open. It was Artie’s final report card; she scanned the card and the grades… ‘4.0 GPA, honours, Valedictorian… this is what Artie had achieved but I never noticed…’ she closed her eyes and let her tears flow as the years peeled away in her mind and she saw David’s beautiful face again.

Her perfect man, he had given her everything including his deepest love and an amazing son. An amazing son that she hadn’t paid a scrap of attention since David died, so focused on keeping NeilTech going and then growing, keeping David’s dream alive, making sure that Artie wanted for nothing… wanted for nothing but her love, her attention. And it was so hard…seeing David in Artie’s face or gestures; it made Esther’s heart break all over again.

So she kept her family…her son at arm’s length, never saw the man he was becoming… the genius, it seemed… but so was Artie’s father, Artie got a lot of traits from his dad quite honestly… the calm and quiet… the stubbornness… the ability to make her madder than anyone else on earth…
‘That was how David and I met,’ she remembered, ‘at university, I was taking business and he was already a huge lab geek, we had common friends or what did he call them? …Intersecting Venn circles. And we used to fight…well I would fight, he’d debate…used logic too, the cheater. Under the logic was a passion as hot as the sun… he was just so calm… and I fell madly in love with him. We married right after graduation, I worked, he did his post grad and doctoral in biotechnology, and then the startup.’

Those had been lean years for Esther and David but once he made his first major breakthrough, a drought resistant grain for the harshest places on earth, the business boomed and David brought in other brilliant minds… including that aging hippy Milo Samuels, brilliant yes, but not driven. She resented the fact that his ideas formed fully fleshed in his mind… When David had to labour so long to perfect his… but that was NeilTech… she left her job and stayed home to be wife, and soon, mother. Those ten years were bliss her family had been her version of heaven.

Then Milo had his breakthrough, finding the on/off for switch for cancer, but that wasn’t enough... he suggested that the growth switch in cancer could be used to grow genetically identical parts for injured tissue, a carbon copy grown by the body, replacing damaged cells as it went… A healing Cancer… and they did find that healing cancer… too late.

David died of congestive heart failure, three months before the serum was ready for anything beyond lab tests. Esther, in her grief lashed out and in her new position of president of NeilTech, fired Milo Samuels. The Healgen serum was property of NeilTech however and though Milo got wealthy, he didn’t own his own creation.

Esther focused the company on improving and refining Healgen and creating with it, a medical and surgical renaissance. ‘But now I see how that caused a very different illness in my own family’ she breathed a sobbing sigh, ‘we never grieved… I wasn’t there for him… all I saw was a slacker… like I thought Milo was… and then I…’ she couldn’t finish the thought and broke down completely, sliding from her chair to curl up on the floor and howl in the agony she had caused herself.


Seven

“‘No one has yet fully realized the wealth of sympathy, kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child.’ - Cynthia Wallen”

~o~O~o~

Sonya dragged Marnie into the Sport Chek and pushed her to the backpacks.

“I have to talk to one of the clerks Marnie,” Sonya explained, “see if you see one you like and I’ll be with you in a minute” and dashed off to the back of the store. Marnie giggled and looked at the selection. A salesman coalesced out of nowhere. He was young, handsome and fit.

“Can I help you find something sweet-cheeks?” he was also a douche, Marnie decided.

“No thank you,” she looked at his name tag, “Bryan. I’m capable of picking out a back pack by myself. After all, it’s not rocket science, is it?” she smiled sweetly. Bryan’s sales smile was replaced by a cocky grin.

“Shhhh, don’t spread it around,” he whispered conspiratorially, “everyone will want my job…” he chuckled, “she said you were quick.” Marnie looked at him with a flash of anger then relaxed when she saw Sonya laughing.

“You Brat!” she yelled, “she put you up to this Bryan? Marnie asked. Bryan laughed.

“Sorry about the sweet-cheeks thing, it’s a pleasure to meet any of Sonya’s friends… she only picks the best you know.” He extended his hand, “Bryan Niven, a pleasure to meet you. Sonya said you could use a bit of a cheer up after losing your luggage and all… did you see anything you liked here?” he said with a genuine smile. Sonya wandered over.

“Oho! Now the Irish Charm comes out does it?” she laughed, “don’t buy this Blarney either Mar. He turns it off and on like water… see what I meant by friends in low places? Oh and by the way Marnie…” she paused, “Neener!” Sonya had a grin that could only be described as shit eating, Bryan nearly fell down laughing and Marnie laughed alongside them.

“You get an ass kicking at the video game of your choice madam.” She caught her breath and pointed at Sonya, “you sir, can grab me that Skullcandy Daylong Backpack board bag there. That will almost make up for your role in her humour.” She grinned at Bryan. Bryan grabbed it down and handed it to her.

“Anything else Marnie?” he smiled. Marnie shook her head but Sonya spoke up.

“Actually yes Bry,” she began, “remember all of those three month, no question, and no obligation passes you guys handed out last month?” Bryan nodded.

“Yeah the deal with Premier Fitness, a pain in the ass,” Bryan growled. Sonya smiled.

“Got any left?” she asked brightly. Bryan nodded again.

“For you Sonya? Sure, how many you want?” he started towards the customer service counter. Sonya and Marnie followed.

“Just one, but could you call Kayla at Premier and tell her it’s no questions?” Sonya added, “It’s just for the locker-room shower for our wayward traveler. Meanwhile, after Marnie is ensconced, you and I need to get her a pay as you go cell, a netbook and an MP3 player.” Bryan grinned.

“Yes General!” he saluted, “I think I know a smart phone that I can lay hands on, then a sim… “He glanced at Marnie, “a combo phone player…a Tb only I’m afraid, is that ok?” Marnie nodded, slack jawed. Sonya patted her chin.

“Ok Bryan, you get on that… put all those items in the bag,” she pointed at the Gap bags on the floor, “And ring up the backpack… then get the phone set up and activated. I’ll take Marnie to Shoppers Drug Mart and get toiletries and then to Premier… I’ll drop her off, get the computer; make a quick stop at Curl Up ‘n Dye and meet you back here. Sound ok?” Bryan snorted.

“Geeze Sonya, plan something hard next time,” he smiled a breezy sort of smile which caused Marnie’s tummy to do an unexpected flip flop; “I can do all of that without leaving my desk here.” He grabbed a coupon and handed it to Marnie, then picked up the phone and started dialing. Sonya pulled Marnie to one side.

“Do you trust me Marnie?” she whispered, “enough to give me six hundred dollars?” Marnie was astounded, no one had ever asked for her trust before and people had abused her trust in the past, most recently, her own mother. But something about Sonya made you trust her and she had been nothing but helpful today. The small discomfort in the back of her mind flared for a moment then died down again as Marnie unzipped her pouch and counted the money out.

“Ok Bry, here’s two hundred fifty dollars for your half of the job,” Sonya handed him the cash, “and now Marnie, off to Shoppers!” She dragged the unresisting girl behind her.

The run through the Drug Supermarket was quick and to the point. Shampoo and conditioner, body wash and scrub puff, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, razors and a combination lock. While Marnie waited in the checkout line, Sonya darted off to get a couple of things. When Marnie was starting to check through, Sonya dumped a few more items on the belt.

“There we are,” she panted slightly, “a couple of essentials…” Marnie saw that Sonya had added an assortment of makeup and both panty liners and tampons. She kept her mouth shut and eyes straight ahead… better to just use this as more camouflage.

“Good Lord, I must be short on sleep, thank you Sonya. I had blanked on the tampons,” she lied, “but the makeup?” Sonya smiled…

“Hey, you’re going to want to guild the lily for the BoardStock Parties, especially if you want to be seen with me girl.” She winked, “now pay the nice lady and lets hit the gym!”

up
270 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

mom is waking up to what she did

while our heroine is adjusting very well. I kinda hope they can reconcile.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

True Dorothy,

You can only repress things for so long before the dam finally breaks... Mother and daughter have a lot to talk about here...
Huge Hugs,
Diana

Right on! Moongoddess, Great story:)

I Love the way that things are developing and settling in. I love Marney what a great name and the stuff with the side effects, the background and the mother finally having the feelings of what have I done sinking in.

This is getting better and better.
Please keep this up.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Yeah... the side effects... good eye

There's more to the untested Healgen serum than has been revealed in this first three days... i think that Mom has to do some more research...
Hugs Bailey,
Diana

Continue To Enjoy

littlerocksilver's picture

There will have tobe a meeting/reconcilliation at some point. It will be interesting to see how this goes, and where it ends up.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

The meeting won't necessarly be an easy one Portia,

but it will clear up a lot of sadness... Mother and now daughter will have to learn to know each other again... and face some scary things together...hehehe.. i tease...
Hugs to you,
Diana

I really like this!

Like Dorothy said, Mom is finally wising up to what she did. Perhaps she's also beginning to grieve some for David now she's had to face her own shortcomings. I do like how you're suggesting something is still going on with Marnie's transformation. Nice line about thanking the researchers right before she kicked their asses! LOL!

Whatever you did right in the first you're still doing right now! I totally agree that Marnie is a great name. It really fits her. Sonja is a wonderful character and Bryan seems pretty kool too. Way to set the trope on its ear.

Hugs
Grover

Thanks Grover!

what started as a spoof of the Trope has become so much more... i'm learning more about all of the folks in the story too and wow is this thing evolving. Marnie is a smart girl and a smart ass... but her smartassery comes from me... lol

Thanks for the commentary and reading along.
Hugs, Diana

So Happy :)

Enemyoffun's picture

I was so happy to see this chapter....I've been waiting for it for days now. I know people always say they can't wait for chapters but I was literally crawling up the wall waiting for this one. I'm absolutely in love with story :)

EOF

High praise indeed!

I'm glad you are enjoying the story and i hope to have part three up soon, but i also have to finish part 5 of magnetic personality too... thanks for the kind words EOF
Hugs,
Diana

Promises, promises...

> I'm glad you are enjoying the story and i hope to have part three up soon, but i also have to finish part 5 of magnetic personality too...

Yes, please and thank you! To both.

There will have to be some reconsiliation with Milo, as well. Or at least an honest attempt. Should make for interesting reading.

Jorey
.
Like Sudoku?
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.

Glad you're enjoying Jorey

I'm having fun with both stories... while i do admit i let myself get tangled up in physics and quanta and string (*nudge* see where i went with that?), I am plunging ahead with MP5... thanks for reading and commenting... it makes me feel all appreciated and stuff.
Hugs,
Diana

Slacker 2

I loved Mom's reaction when she discovered Artie was a lot less of a screwup than she thought, as she'd have known if she'd tried to be a parent instead of changing him...

I love the dialogue, too. The rapport between "Marnie" and Sonya was great.

Clearly it's more than just physical changes, though. *grin*

Definitely not what most people expected from the beginning. This started off like many of those forced fem/transformation stories (one of my less favorite genres), but Artie/Marnie is showing she's not gonna take it lying down, and has the intelligence and skills and guts to turn Mom's plan inside out, which Mom may be happy about by the end...

Love it, Diana. Keep going. Especially now that you seem to have a muse... *smile*

*hugs and smooches*
Lisa

I'm all about shaking up the genres

Personally i hate being boxed in by genre and tropes... i wanted to look beyond the surface of stereotypes and show that judging people by their outer selves (hmmmm sounds familiar) and looks at the inner... it's something many of us feel regularly and though some of us are blessed enough to find someone who sees us as we are, all too often we get dismissed... I am so glad you are enjoying this one Lisa (smiles)
Hugs and smooches back,
Diana

Good Story

Good story so far :) Cannot wait to continue to read more from you


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Thanks Darkkitten!

I'm having fun with this and am glad you are enjoying it as well...
Hugs,
Diana

Good, Clean Fun

terrynaut's picture

This is fun. I'm having a good time reading this.

I'm betting that Artie and Esther make up eventually. It'll be nice to see it happen and fun along the way. Sonya is a kick.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Thanks Terry!

This has been surprisingly fun to write and research too... for example, the bill from the gap was accurate... i totaled up four interchangeable outfits, a jacket and some loungwear, plus tax..ouch... hehe. All of the characters are giving me a load of laughs... even though some of this is bittersweet...
Thanks for the comments and the read...
Hugs,
Diana

Most triumphant!

Sorry, channeling Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

This chapter hints/teases at the wonders of her new body. Just a few hours later yet the effects of the pot almost miraculously lift. We get hint she has an enhanced memory, maybe even a so-called photographic memory. She suspects she has exceptional balance/body image. HE was valedictorian/a 4,o student though mom never bothered to notice, or to show up at his graduation.. what a piece of garbage!. SHE, IE the former son, may well be way above that, maybe even many time so. From her reactions at times in the stores I wonder if she is not fully *finished* in her changes/enhancements... both physical and mental. He was 19 but what is her biological age? is she finished growing?

I noticed every time her new body conflicted with her old male memories she sort of *rebooted*, like her memories were being integrated with her new body so as to not be in conflict. I remember her being surprised she felt comfortable in her new body and that she wondered what other *tweaks m* mom's scientist's had put into the serum.

IF this serum was intended to help a TG man become a woman it would make sense that it was engineered to help them feel comfortable in their new female body. Why trade one purgatory for another?

As for mom, I quote.

>>
Esther on the other hand wasn’t feeling quite as calm as her daughter at that moment. It had been over two hours since Artie had somehow got away from the house. Esther was frantic, slowly realizing the enormity of what she had actually done to her own son, what if the serum had killed him? ‘Oh lord! And I took away his very identity… all I could think about was that sweet 10 year old son that David and I had…’ she glanced around the kitchen, trying to hide her tears from herself.
Esther’s eyes landed on an envelope from Artie's high school and desperate for any distraction, she grabbed it and tore it open. It was Artie’s final report card; she scanned the card and the grades… ‘4.0 GPA, honours, Valedictorian… this is what Artie had achieved but I never noticed…’ she closed her eyes and let her tears flow as the years peeled away in her mind and she saw David’s beautiful face again.

Her perfect man, he had given her everything including his deepest love and an amazing son. An amazing son that she hadn’t paid a scrap of attention since David died, so focused on keeping NeilTech going and then growing, keeping David’s dream alive, making sure that Artie wanted for nothing… wanted for nothing but her love, her attention. And it was so hard…seeing David in Artie’s face or gestures; it made Esther’s heart break all over again.
>>

Oh yeah, what a slacker...NOT!

And then she admits she all but backstabbed the man behind the break though anti cancer treatment that led to this sex change, body repair/enhancement treatment.

Who's the slacker now?

I understand WHY she acted as she did and she has finally admitted to herself, SHE is everything that is/was wrong with her *son* and their relationship. SHE is the slacker. SHE is the unfeeling bitch.

As to her now daughter, as mom abandoned her for NINE years, do the same. Let the world assume she may have killed her son. Let her life be hell on Earth. She's earned every penny of if for what she has done to the memory of her husband, their child and what she did to his chief research partner, the brilliant if unmotivated ex-hippie.

I have less respect for her now than before. Before she was clueless. Now she is uncaring, unemotional, totally detached until it is too late. For a moment I wondered if the accident in the lab that killed him MAYBE killed her and turned dad into his mom but I rejected that. Mom's memories, her condemnation of herself implies she was always a female.

Curious, as this was a serum just about ready for approved trials did they build a *backdoor* into it, IE a failsafe that is anything went wrong, IE the Cancer that cured went bad they could undo it, reverse it? Or is this a one-way ride for her former son? I say unless the mom confesses to all to the authorizes her daughter should kiss her mom goodbye forever.

There is family and loyalty and then there is being a chump. And if the serum is one-way her becoming a man to *make it up to her former son* would not do. He now she needed her mom, still needs her. Her becoming a new dad is not a subtitute or penance for what she denied her child. Her daughter owes her noting. It is up to mom to find her, save her and make amends as best possible.

At least as far as it seems she has found real friends. Though the yet unheard voice in the back of her head wories me. Is that the faiding voice of her male persona or is she at danger from these seeming friends?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. BTW WOW WOW WOW !

John in Wauwatosa

My sincere apologies John...

For not getting back to your wonderful in depth comment before now... i honestly had to print it out and re read it several times to formulate my return comment...

The enhancements...the healgen took her to what i would call a design state... if you were correct to the nth degree from your personal blueprint... that's where Marnie is now or soon will be, which added to her smarts and above average board skills, is a pretty good place to be, and you're right... it's day three after the shot... changes, good or bad could be coming. I place Marnie at about physical age 18.

The reboots... ahh you caught me... i think that Marnie's thought patterns are being filtered through a biologically female brain... i'm not sure male thought could survive in a superior environment... so quick rewrites... as to the tweaks... there's several lab-dwellers who will be facing wrath from two women... the sera was experimental remember.

Esther is to blame for most of the situation, Yes. But Artie could have reached out to other resources, as we will see. Artie tried very hard, but he did give up on his mom eventually... he's not to blame...at least i don't blame him, but grief is a powerful thing and both Esther and Artie were severely damaged by the shock and yes, even the irony of David's death.

the repercussions of what she had done began to hit Esther when she started worrying about herself first, then the company... then the human moment hit and brought all the suppressed grief and fear and loneliness down on her, leaving her sobbing on the floor...
Esther is at a make or break point mentally right now... Yes she is clueless but that's because it hurt less... *shrugs*

as to certain Hippies and friends... much will be revealed in part 3... coming very soon

Thank you for caring so much about my friends enough to comment so thoroughly on the tale.
Hugs and more Hugs,
Diana

story's looking good

you have thing moving on for both characters.
looking forward to more, thanks

I am worried... this is too

I am worried... this is too easy. She's just been changed into a girl and she's in all acceptance mode. Is that her personality or is the serum tweaking her brain?

What the hell do those two need 600 dollars for? Very strange...

Thank you for writing this interesting story,

Beyogi

The $600

> What the hell do those two need 600 dollars for? Very strange...

The netbook and phone/mp3 player.

Jorey
.
Like Sudoku?
sudokurose.com

Jorey
.

Some of it...

is the serum... there is a well documented difference in the structure and operation of male and female brains and I'd say it is fairly obvious that men and women think differently... now, rebuild a female brain around a male mind... without some 'help' the mind will )IMHO( not be able to cope very well... hence, the HealGen serum is the helper...

as for $600? personal shopping whilst Marnie gets her clean on... *giggles*

As always a pleasure to have you read and enjoy one of my offerings Beyogi, thanks for commenting... it shows you like the piece...
Hugs,
Diana

Well the problem with this

Well the problem with this structure thing is, that both structures are documented in both genders. That means you can have genetic girls that are female gendered with a "male" brain, and genetic boys who are male gendered with a "female" brain.

You would need to rebuild Arties whole brain to achieve this effect, I doubt she would be as smart as she was before after such an operation. She would probably loose part of her body memory and even some access to her normal memory.

If it goes on as you planed she'll be a happy girl after a day or so and will never want to go back to beeing a boy. Or not...

Well I can't wait to see how this will play out. I'm always happy if my comments are appreciated ;)

*hugs*
Beyogi

Really Good...

Really great the way the two storylines are moving. Makes me wonder if there are any clues Esther can read as to what happened to her new daughter. (She may figure out the attic, but I doubt that she'd catch the missing skateboard, which Marnie probably won't be using anyway as soon as she has a chance to buy a pro model.)

Went through a whole scenario here involving private detectives, Esther's ability (or not) to sketch a picture of her daughter in the absence of any photographs or external records of her, etc.

But that's probably irrelevant unless Marnie is changing her initial plans. If I'm reading it right in that she only took $3000 out of a much larger stack of cash, it doesn't sound as though she was planning to leave for good; she just wanted to take matters into her own hands. Then again, she has already gotten more outside support than she expected, and almost certainly would be able to reach whatever goals she's after without returning home, if she's so inclined.

(We don't know how much money is accessible to her online in Artie's stock trade account. Then again, until she has an identity, it'd be tough for her to cash checks from there even if they're made out to "cash" or "bearer", and there are daily limits on ATM cash withdrawals, if she still has a card.)

I really want to know where this is going and how it comes out. Should really be great.

Eric

Hey Eric!

I think Marnie's initial plan was to just redo the slacker / skater persona to the new body then do an 'IN YOUR FACE' thing to her mom. These plans seem to have changed with the meeting of a certain, very perceptive, very protective new friend / personal shopper...

I think also that now Esther is starting to pull her head out of her @$$, she will start to notice things more... maybe not, as you say, the skateboard or the disturbed boxes in the attic, but certainly the escape route. you don't build an international company by being stupid... or...? no... sorry... that's my opinion leaking through *giggles*

Glad you're enjoying this,
Hugs,
Diana

Slacker Part 2

I am wondering if Artie/Marnie had a secret desire to be a girl, or if the serum is helping to adjust both body and mind to keep Marnie from going wacko? Glad that she has found friends and that her mother sees how she let her grief destroy her son and create her personal Frankenstein. Hope they can reconcile.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Frankenstein was the doctor.

Frankenstein was the doctor. The Monster was Adam.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

So...

if Esther = Frankenstein than Marnie = Eve?
Hugs,
Diana

Could be, could be. I don't

Could be, could be. I don't recall what they called the female monster in 'Bride of Frankenstein' (definitely NOT a Mary Shelly story)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Working towards a reconciliation

but it will take time for wounds to heal, Stanman. I don't think Esther and Marnie will be able to remain fractured, but emotional wounds heal slowest and scar deepest.
Thanks for your comments and continued readership,
Hugs 'n Stuff,
Diana

I think

Milo might be Sonya's dad or some other relation.

Maybe

But probably not direct blood lineage,
Hugs,
Diana

Slacker?

So now it appears as though the reason Artie wasn't in school was because he'd completely finished his studies (and graduated with top honours). Esther, on the other hand, was evidently so wound up in the company that she took absolutely no notice whatsoever of her son's academic progress - or even where they were in the school year. I half suspect that Artie's appearance to her as a 'slacker' was a deliberate attempt to make her take notice of him: "You hoo! Remember me?! I'm here! I exist! Can you see me?!"

As for coping with the changes, admittedly a significant part of it is something-or-other in the serum itself. But there's also to some degree Artie's own attitude - he realised that the changes imposed would probably be permanent, with no route back, so deliberately set out to adapt to the new circumstances. His personality / sense of style hasn't substantially changed, so he deliberately set out to buy a female-fitting equivalent of his old wardrobe.

The one bit that confuses me slightly is right at the end with the makeup, panty liners and tampons. OK, Marnie has no intention of using the makeup (yet!) but the other items will definitely be coming in useful in the weeks ahead.

No doubt the one major aspect of the new body Marnie will have to get used to is makeup, dresses and skirts. While she won't be wearing them 99% of the time, undoubtedly there will be a few occasions when they are required...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

In the last case

with the make up and hygiene products, Sonya was just being her helpful self...'jeez, Marnie spaced on the necessities...' sort of things. Marnie really didn't even think of them as she hasn't had to yet. i am sure that had nature taken its course, she wouldn't have been oblivious, but Sonya sidestepped the eventuality.

As to Marnie's acceptance of the situation, I'd say 80% HealGen 20% Marnie's stubbornness and anger... i doubt that the thought of a future beyond this Tuesday has yet crossed Marnie's mind... but i could be mistaken... these characters are taking on lives of their own... and some of them may have secrets...
Muah Ha Ha,
Diana

Ditto...

WebDeb's picture

What with so many agreeable comments I have not much to add.

Love Marney and will feel her pain If or when she faces any adversity or betrayal in her journey.

I just have a feeling that something is about to kick off and challenge Marney's new situation.

From a cynically inclined person. Looking forward to the next instalment.

KUDOS :)

I honestly hope not to kick her

when she's already down, Deb. but the funny thing about life and fiction is it can give and take away very quickly...*sighs*
Thanks so much for reading and commenting, it means a lot to me.
Hugs,
Diana

Well at least moms finally

Well at least moms finally realised what she done, I too hope they can reconcile, great story thanks for sharing.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

The two have been torn apart so long that

It will be difficult to reconcile... but not impossible... that's a word i don't believe in anymore... it's going to take a huge amount of work to rebuild their family...
Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment,
Hugs,
Diana

I've never had so much fun shopping - Moongoddess

That was different!

Good story, yes Mum needs to do some serious introspection.

Sounds like Marnie and her two new friends are going to have a ball.

Thanks Diana.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Yes, but you have never

Had a personal shopper like Sonya either *giggles*... Girl is a force of nature.
Hugs,
Diana

So mother is finally coming

So mother is finally coming to her senses. And, though Milo Samuels is fired, I somehow can see him being sought out by Esther again after all those years, she's still going to need someone to make heads and tails of the situation, especially the scientific part, and Milo sounds like the man for that. Not that I'm sure of his willingness...

And, just in case, why did Artie re-name herself Marnie?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Artie --> Marnie

i guess, Faraway, it was a real spur of the moment decision. Had to be split second as you can't hesitate too long when someone asks your name *grin*
Artie's brain is now ramped up on, Caffeine, THC, adrenaline, nicotine and whatever the hell was in that batch of Healgen his mom pumped into her... oh, for fun, let's throw in estrogen and progesterone...
She's lucky she can think at all... Marnie must have sounded close enough to Artie in her mind...giggles.
Thanks for Reading and commenting... makes me feel good.
Hugs,
Diana

WOOT!

OMGdds! that's our Marnie for sure!
Thanks Lonewolf! as my Big Bro Baily is wont to say,
Hugs and Howls,
Diana

Re-reading this...

In the light of a new chapter just having been posted.

Something that just struck me as slightly odd - nobody questioning a 19-year old roaming around with a couple of thousand dollars in cash...

It may be cultural differences between different countries, but generally speaking ont his side of the pond, we don't tend to carry much cash, paying for most things via debit card or credit card.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I've noticed, in urban areas of Canada at least

That kids seem to always have a wad of cash on them... in Marnie's case however she had no legal ID and needed quick and untraceable purchases. i played the fanning out of several hundred dollars game to get the quivering attention of commission salespeople once or twice myself... grin... plus, some people prefer cash purchases...
of course YMMV...
Hugs,
Diana