Cubs Fan

Printer-friendly version

Cubs memorabilia, I think my granddad has just about one of everything that carried the Cubs name since the Cubs, entered professional play in 1871.

The Chicago Cubs are the oldest team still in its original home town, a fact that my mom’s dad reminds me of each time we head south, down the Red Arrow Highway, crossing the state line fifty minutes later. Past the navy base and the idled army base, as Sheridan Road takes us all the way to Addison Street, under the ivy walls of Wrigley Field. As we search for parking Gramps bemoans the passing of the Chicago, Milwaukee and Lake Shore or better yet bi-level service north of Kenosha on Chicago North Western (now Union Pacific) North Line, on which he and his family would board at Milwaukee Ave between 11th and 12th. Sometimes we would board the train in Lake Bluff, where service was frequent and parking safe.

At first Gramps just collected every promotional item offered up by the Cubs since he started going to the home games in 1955. As his collection grew he haunted estate sales, garage sales, auctions and fan fairs looking for more and more Cubs items. With the advent of e-bay and Craig’s List he came into his element. Still, the family is not made on money, if he could score something for free then that would be the way it would be obtained.

Over the years some of the promotions were directed at children only, often times the cutoff would be the age of fourteen, so after 1964 he needed a coconspirator to come along to collect the coveted promotional item, no matter what it was. Gramps was the eldest child in a large family so for a while his brothers and sisters helped him. By the time his siblings were too old, gramp’s descendents, my mother and uncles and later on his many grandchildren would go to the games with him and help collect the treasures which he so coveted.

With my generation came a problem, the family was a bit heavy in the XY co-ordinates with no girls born amongst the seven families. You wouldn’t think this would be a problem after all its baseball, right?

Wrong, for in 2002, the Pleasant Company, began producing special American Girl doll-sized versions of Cub’s uniform jerseys, jackets and ball caps to be given free to girl attendees of special games played at Chicago's Wrigley Field. Grandpa could see no reason that he should pay for what could be gotten for free at a game that he and any family members who wish to come with him would be attending anyway. At the time I had no idea I would be helping my granddad, at the age of two, who knew.

As the years went by, I saw a lot of games, Grandma make me a fan coat, my own coat of many colors, most in various shades of team colors, blue, red, and white. Of course I would have a team hat on with my long hair routed out above the sizing strap so that it would not get in the way of tracking incoming balls. Funny thing about incoming balls, they rarely reached the deck and if they did, as small as I was I did not want to be in the scrum. When I was younger I had wondered about the number of total strangers who greeted us and called to me "miss", now I know better. For Gramps, I would do it. Indeed, just two weeks ago on Friday the second, the Cubs played the Pirates and Pepsi gave away American Girl Doll- sized apparel, and of course I was one of the first 5,000 children, age 14 and under.

Grandpa added our spoils to his collection, a picture of me scoring the valued prize with the ticket stub en-framed alongside the photo, just the latest photo op in nine years of photos, Grandpa, me, and our treasure.

Gramp’s collection has become well known, and as he is a skilled story teller, he welcomes opportunities to show it off, it was only a matter of time before my class at Parkway Elementary and also the other two six grade classes would be coming over to see his Chicago Cubs collection, like today. My granddad is so proud, me, I am terrified.

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute........... and

Cute........... and different! I can see where a male of the age would be pretty much petrified, if gramps tells the entire story.

CaroL

CaroL

Cubs Fan

Would be fun to see this story continue

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Very nice. Very believable.

LibraryGeek's picture

Very nice. Very believable. And every reason to be terrified. As a former Chicagoan I had to read it. Go Cubbies!

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

I bet he is terrified.

A good tribute story and one that should have a chapter 1 with this story being the introduction. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Where is Gramp's Home Town?

Just for the Fun of it, who can find the Gramp's home town? When I was in 6th grade, my class at Parkway did indeed visit the home of a CUBS fan, who lived on Milwaukee Ave, some where between 13th ave and 15th ave. His basement was his Cubs shrine.

If you figure the answer leave your reply to this comment please.

Lots of red herrings

There are quite a few red herrings in this little piece. Being a native Chicagoan, I knew that the answer wasn't Chicago.

The thing about the Red Arrow Highway is that there is one in Michigan and one in Wisconsin.

But the only route that passes Great Lakes Naval Training Center and Fort Sheridan going south to Chi-town means that you are coming from the environs of Milwaukee.

Google Earth took me right to the area of 13th and 15th along Milwaukee Avenue. It still looks like a very nice residential area, not that far from Lake Michigan.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

You're a CUBS FAN!!!???

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE YOU EVIL SPAWN OF SATAN !!!!

Nothing personal.

Mind you IF your were a White Sox fan I might get violent.

John in Wauwatosa 4.5 miles as the crow files from Miller Field -- Milw Brewers -- and the former County Stadium -- Brewers, Braves, Packers -- as well.

John in Wauwatosa

Let's play two!

I have to admit that when I was younger, I was a Cubs fan. I really liked Ernie Banks' style.

What was a surprise to me was to discover that a Milwaukean would be a Cubs fan. As John rightfully points out, they have their own excellent teams, even if the Packers are a home team by adoption. (Go Bears!)

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Hold on now,

I did mark this as fiction? didn't I?

When I was a child of this age, my team was the Milwaukee Braves, then they abandoned me. For many years the Cubs were the team as they were the closest and they would even play games in Milwaukee, a few times. They were still in the National League too.

As I noted, this story was inspired in part by a true Cubs fan, who with my sixth grade class, I visited. Also in part it was inspired by a memory of my own maternal grandfather taking me to a White Soxs game when our family visited them in Michigan City Indiana.

As I moved around after high school, I had no team to follow

The Milwaukee Brewers did not come on my radar until '78 to '80, with Bambi's Bombers. But then I moved away again. I attended a game or few of major league teams, and minor league teams, even some Japanese teams doing their preseason on Guam.

Now that I live in this area again, I have the the Major teams here except the Bucks as a side interest, but I am not a fan.

Well maybe this year, after all

the Brewers were off to a 11 and 2 start, I hated to watch Sunday's game for fear of jinxing them, still they won! But then there was Monday. The song fits.

I immediately thought of this

I immediately thought of this story last night when the team did what they had hoped they would always do- win the World Series!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Watched the final game of the

Watched the final game of the World Series, and saw the CUBS win in the 10th inning.
LOTS of history last night and LOTS of history going all the way back to 1908.
How nice for the team and the City of Chicago to finally have a win and the CUBS to get out from under the "goat curse" that has haunted them since 1908.