Turbulence

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis: Little did Roger Lyons know that the pretty young girl he met on his late night flight would lead him into a new life and introduce him into a world he had no idea existed. (Newly edited and combined version of the original 10-part story.)

Turbulence
By
Julie O


Edited By Amelia R.



Chapter One


A very wise friend once told me that there's a world out there that most people have no idea exists. I used to be one of those people. However, my eyes were opened to this world and my life hasn't been the same since. I've decided to write my tale; it's up to you to believe it.

It all started as I boarded the flight back home. I was pleased to see that it was almost empty. I flew enough to know which flights to schedule, and the "red-eye" from Honolulu to San Diego was almost always empty on Friday evenings. This would allow me to get some much-needed sleep without listening to some tourists talk about their "dream vacation". My seat was near the back of the plane and I hoped that I would be by myself. The rows around me were also empty, which suited me just fine. I'm not anti-social; rather I am pro-sleep!

My name was Roger Lyons and I was a defense contractor troubleshooter. I worked for one of the electronic companies in San Diego, CA. When there was a problem installing some nice piece of electronic gear, I was the one they called. This past year I had flown to Pearl Harbor six times to help get the bugs out of the latest missile guidance system for the Navy. Our company was testing a new system that would revolutionize the ability of our ships to engage aircraft at twice the present distance. I only wished that they had selected a ship in San Diego. It would have saved me a lot of travel time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Hawaii; it's just that I never get to see any of it. My last trip all I saw was the hotel, Pearl Harbor, and the airport!

I really loved my job, as every day was something new. I loved solving puzzles and problems. I was in my mid-twenties, single, and pulling down a pretty good salary. I had been so lucky to get this job when I left the Navy after my first tour of duty. Even the traveling wasn't too bad.

I looked around the near empty plane and started to relax. Even if someone came on late, they wouldn't put them next to me, as there were so many empty rows. The flight crew understood that most people on the flight just wanted to sleep. It made their job easier!

Then I saw her walk on. She was very pretty, although she was dressed a bit too cheap for my taste. She was about 5-8, with long curly red hair, lovely green eyes, very long thin legs, and a shapely body. Her breasts were almost too big for her frame, but were full and round. At least she had the body for her outfit. She was wearing a very short skirt, a very low cut top, and no bra! Her outfit looked liked it had been painted on her body.

Don't get me wrong, I found her very attractive, but I liked my women to dress classier. She was too attractive to look so slutty. Her hair was truly gorgeous. It wasn't that bright orange red; rather it was a dark red that looked very mysterious. I was a real sucker for redheads. I estimated that she was in her late teens or early twenties. Not quite out of reach, as I was presently twenty-seven.

She came down the aisle and stopped two rows in front of me on the opposite side of the plane. I watched as she put her bag in the overhead. I could see that she was wearing a thong, as could anyone else looking at her. She smiled at me as she turned around to take her seat.

I chuckled to myself. I though of a friend back in the Navy who had tried to pick up a girl similar to her and only to find out she was only sixteen! This girl was definitely older than sixteen. But there was something about her that screamed that she was nothing but trouble.

I put her out of my mind as we took off. I checked my watch and was pleased that we were on time. We would be landing in San Diego in around five to six hours, and I could enjoy what was left of the weekend. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep. It was a very deep dreamless sleep.

When I awoke everything felt wrong. As I opened my eyes, I immediately noticed that I was in a different seat. I was also completely paralyzed! I couldn't move a muscle or make a sound. I began to panic! Suddenly there was voice inside my head telling me to calm down.

I felt a hand on my face, and it turned my head so I could see who was talking to me. I then came face to face with myself! I was looking at me, or at least my body, sitting next to me! It was definitely me. I had to look up at my face as I was 6-2, and I saw my blue eyes, brown hair, and my moustache. I was able to look down and I saw I was now in the body of the girl across the aisle.

I then heard the voice again telling me to calm down. The strange thing was that "he" never actually spoke. It was like "he" was talking directly into my mind.

"Now relax and I'll tell you everything," 'he' said. The voice was still female even though it obviously was coming from my old body. "I have frozen you so you wouldn't make a scene. I can release you at a moment's notice. I want you to listen to what I am going to tell you."

I stared back at "him" and wondered if "he" could read my thoughts.

"Yes, I can read your mind," 'he' said and smiled.

"What happened? Why did you do this to me?" I asked in a shocked tone.

"All in good time, Roger, or should I say, Iona? That is the name that goes with the body. You are now Iona Beddau. In case you are wondering, the name is Celtic with some Druid thrown in for good measure," 'he' explained.

I found that if I concentrated I could draw up some of her memories, basic stuff like name, age, address, and things like that.

"Good, I can see that you are trying to find out some things about me. I've switched bodies so many times that I can instantly access the info. You've had a very interesting life. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it," 'he' explained.

I wasn't sure if I liked the fact that she had access to all my memories. I looked at 'him', "Why did you do this?" I asked. This mental telepathy took some getting used to.

"First off, don't worry; this isn't permanent or anything like that. I like to switch with people every now and then. It is a nice way to spice up my sex life," 'he' replied with a wicked smile on my face - correction, make that on HER face. This was so confusing.

I then imagined what was going to happen.

"That's right, honey, we are going to have a wonderful weekend of sex, and then I'll switch us back and be on my way. All you'll be left with is the memory of having sex as a woman," 'he' explained.

"How is this possible?" I thought. I also noticed a strange sensation building inside me. At the mention of sex, I found myself becoming aroused. I could feel my nipples start to harden and I also felt myself getting wet between my legs.

"I am a sorceress. All the women in my family are blessed with powers. I like to use mine for my own pleasure. I suppose that I could do much more with my powers, but I love sex, as you are starting to discover. I hyped up my own body's sexual urges before we switched bodies, so you'll be nice and horny all weekend. There is no reason in making the switch if the other person won't play."

I thought that she was a very shallow, selfish person. She had these great powers and all she could think of was personal pleasure.

"My Aunt Kayla feels the same way that you do. I am on my way to San Diego to stay with her. She is supposed to help me mature and expand my powers and mind," she said in a disgusted tone. "It's going to be so boring, but I have to appease the elders in the clan."

The increased sexuality of my new body was becoming too much to ignore. I found it hard to focus on anything but sex.

"Good! I see that you are almost ready. Now do you promise to 'be me' the rest of this weekend?" she asked.

I thought about it. I really didn't have a choice. "Yes, I promise," I replied.

"Excellent! Besides, who would believe you anyway? Everyone knows that you can't switch bodies!" she laughed.

I was so horny now and needed relief so badly. If I could have moved, I would have immediately started playing with myself.

"My, you are a randy one! And to think, you thought I was slutty!" she said with a smile. "Now I am going back to the lavatory. I will release you and you will join me. You are about to become a member of the mile-high club."

I watched as she got up and walked to the back of the plane. Within seconds, I found that I could move. I got up and walked back to the lavatory. I was aware of my new body as I walked back to join my enchanting lover. I could feel my breasts bounce and the sway of my hips as I moved to the very back of the plane. All I could think about was sex.

I opened the door and saw myself sitting on the john with pants down and a full erection. Without hesitation I backed in and closed the door. I slipped off my thong and moved back. What was so amazing was that I seemed to know exactly what to do. I moved down and felt the cock, my cock, slide into my wet vagina. My mind was too clouded by passion to think about what was happening. I felt hands on my breasts as the cock slipped in and out. I found myself having to hold in moans of pleasure as I rode the cock up and down. The added fear of being caught seemed to intensify the excitement! The thought of being fucked by my own body only made me hotter. I pulled up my top and began squeezing my nipples. I was so horny and I wanted to orgasm so badly! The sensations began to build up and we climaxed together. It took all my willpower to stop from screaming out in pleasure.

I should have been disgusted by what was happening, but I was too turned on to care. I felt my vagina being filled with shot after shot of cum. My own orgasm swept through my body with waves of pleasure. My whole body was tingling. I had never imagined that it could feel this way. I was used to orgasms being concentrated around my cock; now I was feeling my whole body as I climaxed.

We sat there together for a moment. I then heard her voice in my mind again.

"Okay, my dear, we need to clean up and go back to our seats. Don't worry about anyone interrupting you. I have taken care of that with a spell to ensure our privacy!" she laughed. "I didn't tell you because the fear of being caught only adds to the intensity of the sexual act!"

We shifted around, and I watched as my possessed body got dressed and washed up. He then leaned over and kissed me long and deep. It felt wonderful!

After "he" left, I cleaned myself up a bit. I used some wet paper towels to wipe up the cum that was now dripping out of my vagina. I did this almost automatically, as if I had done it many times before. I also accepted that for the moment Iona was Roger and I was now Iona.

I knew that I would have the look and aroma of someone who'd just had sex. I tried not to worry about what people might think. After all this really wasn't my body. I did my best to straighten myself up and walked out to rejoin "him." My now erect nipples were pressing through my thin cotton top. I felt my breasts bounce as I walked. I wished that she had worn a bra.

I sat down next to "him." I checked my watch; I was momentarily caught off guard by my thin dainty wrist and manicured nails.

I looked over at "him." "So what happens now?" I asked. It was strange hearing my new feminine voice. I was initially shocked by it.

"We'll go back to 'my place' for the weekend," replied 'Roger.' It was even stranger hearing my voice speak to me.

"I suppose that you know that we'll have to get a cab," I commented. My car was back at my apartment. I never leave it at the airport.

"I know everything, my sweet Iona," he said. "Roger" leaned over and kissed me. I eagerly accepted her tongue as we kissed deep and long. It felt strange kissing someone with a moustache!

We started our descent into San Diego. I spent the time trying to access information from Iona's memories. I found that, if I focused, I could find information. I was able to access that Iona was 21 and had been born in upstate Maine. My mother's name was Fiona. My father had died when I was young. I thought what a wonderful gift this power could become. You could share information and help others instead of using it strictly for sexual pleasure. Although, I had to admit that the sex was incredible.

I decided to accept my fate and enjoy myself as much as possible over the rest of the weekend. Besides, my newfound knowledge about female sexuality could come in handy in the future.

I also discovered that the psychic link was no long active. I guessed that it must have been part of the spell that was used to freeze me. I was starting to feel slightly horny again as we came in for a landing.

We waited with the rest of the passengers for our luggage. I was surprised that I was able to recognize my suitcases without being told anything.

"The longer you are in the body, the easier it is to remember things," 'Roger' whispered to me. Maybe she could still read my mind?

I also felt the eyes of all those men on me. I could feel them lusting after me. I should have felt scared or ashamed or even nervous, but all I felt was horny.

"Is there any way that you can 'lower the volume' on my sexual urges?" I whispered to him. I was afraid that I wouldn't make it to my apartment.

"Feeling too hot?" 'he' said with a smile. "Okay, but just until we get to the apartment and then it goes back up, as I like my lovers to be extra horny!" 'Roger' touched me on my forehead. I felt a slight shock.

I felt my sexual urges drop down a bit. I was still horny, but it was controllable.

We walked over to catch a cab back to my apartment. I only lived ten minutes away. My apartment was near Balboa Park, so we didn't even need to get on the freeways. It was still early and there was still some ground fog. The cabbie headed out of the parking lot and towards downtown.

We both sat in the back of the cab. I was sitting on the passenger side. Much to my embarrassment, Roger began to kiss me again. The cabbie kept looking in his mirror at us. He seemed to enjoy the show. There was almost no traffic as we headed towards my apartment. We stopped at a red light, and I felt his hand slip between my legs. Roger's fingers began to rub against my panties. I offered no resistance as it felt too good.

My memories of what happened next are as vivid today as the moment they happened. I can close my eyes and play back what happened in slow motion.

The light changed to green, and we started through the intersection; there was a screeching of brakes as a car that was running the red came right at the driver's side of the cab. I could see the car coming right at us, and I screamed. I remembered seeing "Roger" move to protect me. Then there was the crash of metal, the breaking of glass, the sensation of being thrown against the passenger side of the car. Then there was the pain, intense and strong pain sweeping through my body, and then silence as I mercifully drifted into darkness.


Chapter Two


When I woke up, I was in total confusion and intense pain. I was obviously in a hospital bed. I had all sorts of wires attached to me, and I had an IV in my arm. My body hurt all over. I also knew that I was still in Iona's body.

I looked around the best I could and saw the call button near my left hand. I pressed the button, and a nurse quickly appeared.

"Thank goodness, you're finally awake!" she exclaimed, as a smile grew on her face. She then picked up a phone and called for a doctor.

"How long have I been here?" I asked in a weak voice.

"Two days," answered the nurse, as she checked my IV.

Two days! I was obviously hurt, but how badly? And what about "Roger?"

The doctor came in and picked up my chart. "Do you know where you are, Miss Beddau?" he asked.

"I'm in a hospital. What happened?" I asked. It was strange answering to that name. My mind was awash in thoughts. I was afraid of being found out. I also wondered what had happened to the real Iona, who was in my body.

"You were in a very serious car crash. Can you tell me your first name?" he asked.

"It's Iona," I answered. I tried to focus and access Iona's memories.

He asked me a few more questions. They were all simple questions that I should have known immediately, if I had been the real Iona. The problem was that I couldn't access the memories quickly enough.

"You're apparently suffering from some memory loss. But I wouldn't worry too much. It is very common with a head injury. At least you are doing better than when you arrived. You couldn't even remember your name. You kept saying your name was Roger," explained the doctor with a smile.

"How bad am I hurt?" I asked. My left leg was very sore, and the side of my head felt like I'd been hit by a baseball bat.

"You suffered a fractured skull, but it isn't too serious. You also have a concussion, several broken ribs, and, most seriously, your left leg is broken in several places. In fact, if it had been any worse, we might have had to amputate it. You were in surgery for several hours. We had to insert several steel rods in it, and I think you'll regain full use of it, but it will take time. Thankfully, you didn't have any internal injuries. It's a miracle, considering the severity of the accident," he answered.

"What about Roger... and the cab driver?" I asked. I was suddenly filled with a feeling of pure dread.

He hesitated for a second, and I instantly knew the answer. "I'm sorry, but they both died. The cab driver was killed instantly. Mr. Lyons probably saved your life by shielding you from the worst of it. We tried to save him, but his injuries were just too severe," he answered softly. "Were you close to Mr. Lyons?

I nodded and I immediately began to cry. His words cut into me like a knife! I found that my emotional state was much looser now. It would have been impossible to hold my feelings in, and I made no attempt to do so. I cried because two people had died, I cried because of the pain, I cried because of the pain this would cause my family, and I cried because I was now trapped in a stranger's body. I began to feel a sense of panic sweep through me.

The doctor motioned to the nurse; she gave me a sedative through the IV, and I quickly fell asleep. I drifted in and out of sleep over the next day.

I woke up and saw a pleasant looking redheaded woman sitting in my room talking to a nurse. She seemed strangely familiar; it slowly came to me that she was Aunt Kayla. The hospital must have contacted her.

"So, my dear, you're finally awake?" she asked in a pleasant voice.

"I feel a bit better... Aunt Kayla," I answered. Iona was right; the memories were easier to access. I hoped that I sounded natural. "Thank you for asking. It's good to see that you're here."

"If you need anything, just ring the call button," stated the nurse. She then walked out of the room.

Aunt Kayla closed the door and walked over to my bedside. She sat down next to me and smiled. "Well, you're obviously not Iona. You're far too polite!"

Well, that didn't take long. "No, I'm not Iona. I'm so sorry," I replied as the tears started again. I was about to explain what happened when she put her finger to her lips.

"I know what happened, my dear. That silly selfish girl is to blame. I warned her that she needed to be more careful with her powers. That was the point of her coming here!" she lamented.

There was silence. I could tell that she was angry at Iona and at the same time mourning her death.

"Well, that is now water under the bridge. Now, what do we do with you?" she asked. She had a very pleasant demeanor. I instantly liked her. Like Iona, she had striking red hair. I guessed it ran in the family, my family now. "So, tell me about yourself."

I told her about my life as Roger and my life in San Diego. I felt better as I talked to her. She shared my concern for my family.

"It could have been worse. I am glad that you were not married. That would have made your adjustment much more difficult," she explained.

"So what happens now?" I asked.

"Well, you will spend the rest of your life as Iona Beddau. You'll probably have to make do without the family powers, but I think you'll manage," she stated.

I sat there and let it sink in that I was now a 21-year-old woman. I felt my eyes starting to tear up again. Aunt Kayla took my hand and I instantly felt comforted. I knew that I could trust her.

"What does Iona -- I mean -- what do I do for a living?" I asked.

"I hate to break this to you, but she didn't do much besides sleep around and aggravate her family. On the plus side, you are starting with a clean slate. She didn't have a job or any other adult responsibility," she answered. There was a sense of sadness in her voice.

"I'm starting to remember things," I remarked. Aunt Kayla was right; Iona had led a pretty hedonistic lifestyle. "So if I didn't work, where did I get money?" I was hoping that I wasn't a thief too.

"You have a rather sizeable trust fund that was set up by your father," she said. "That reminds me, I'll need to call your mother and tell her what happened."

I brought up some memories. Not surprisingly, Iona wasn't on good terms with her mother either.

"How will she react?" I asked. I was surprised that I was actually concerned about her. I also remembered that her name was Fiona.

Aunt Kayla smiled. "Fiona half expected something like this would happen. She still loved Iona, and I'm sure she will want to meet you."

I searched my memories. I could now picture Fiona, Iona's mother and now my mother. She was very beautiful and had the same colored hair. I hoped that I could undo some of the damage done by the original Iona.

"What happens next?" I asked.

"You will move in with me. I already have a room ready for you," said Aunt Kayla. "You have a lot of healing to do, and I'm not just talking about your physical injuries. You have to adjust to being a new person and a new gender. It will take time, but I will help you through it. I imagine Fiona will want to help too."

"You're very kind!" I said. I'd had visions of being out on my own, without a family or people that cared for me. I felt my emotions building up. "Thank you." I felt tears rolling down my cheeks.

"I can sense that you are a good person and that you didn't deserve this fate," she said to me softly.

She smiled at me, and, without speaking another word, she let me know that everything would be okay. Then she gently wiped away the tears from my cheeks.

"Don't be worried or embarrassed about showing your emotions. You're a woman now and that is 'socially acceptable.' I've never understood why men feel weak for showing their true feelings. A lot of the world's problems could be prevented if they would let out their real emotions," she remarked and then let out a slight laugh.

I smiled and found that I could laugh for the first time since I'd become Iona.

"So, Iona, have you given any thought to what you want to do with your life?" she asked.

"You said I don't have a job. So I guess that I wasn't in college or anything like that either?" I asked.

"That's right. Although you have the grades to get into any school you want to. Going to school wasn't a priority to you. You had an above average IQ, and it should be higher now, due to the knowledge that you brought with you during the transfer," she explained. I noticed that she was now referring to me as Iona.

"So I could apply to college here?" I asked.

Aunt Kayla smiled. "Well, I am glad that you are more level-headed than before. Yes, you would be accepted at any school you applied to."

I winced as I felt a shot of pain from leg. I was about to push the button to get the nurse when Aunt Kayla shook her head. She then placed her hand on my damaged leg and in a second there was a feeling of warmth spreading out from her touch. The pain instantly went away.

"Does that feel better, my dear?" she asked.

"Yes, thank you," I answered. I wanted to ask how she'd done that, but I figured there would be time for that later.

"When I get you home, I will heal it completely. There are limits to 'modern medicine.' Without my help, you wouldn't make a full recovery," she stated confidently.

I had no doubt that she was telling me the truth.

"Did they tell you about the accident?" she asked.

"Not much, just about the deaths of the driver and... " I hesitated, not knowing how to refer to the death of Iona. I felt my emotions flowing again.

Aunt Kayla interrupted. "I know what you mean. It will take time to accept what happened. A drunk driver caused the accident. He walked away from it without a scratch. The police arrested him. Apparently he has been arrested several times for DUI. I will deal with him later," Aunt Kayla replied angrily.

Having seen a sample of her powers, I wondered what sort of punishment he would receive. However, I didn't feel any pity for him as he had caused too much pain.


Chapter Three


I spent the next couple of days in the hospital. The doctors were amazed that I wasn't in more pain. I read the newspaper article on the accident. It was bizarre reading about my death. The drunk driver was a very prominent local lawyer, and he'd claimed that he would be completely exonerated. I would have been angry with him, except that I knew Aunt Kayla was planning an appropriate punishment. I realized that she had something magical in mind, but she seemed so positive about it that I never doubted her ability to carry it out.

Aunt Kayla came every day and kept me company. She helped me open up Iona's mind and retrieve my new identity. The more I learned about Iona, the more I was saddened by the way she had wasted her life. With her intelligence and powers, she could have made a real difference in the world.

I was in a good mood on the day of my release from the hospital. I don't think I could have survived the days following the accident without Aunt Kayla's help. I shudder to think what I might have done if I had been alone. I might have even tried to kill myself.

It would take some getting used to being Iona. Aunt Kayla said that the longer I lived in her body the more natural things would feel. The previous day we'd had a long conversation about the changes in my life.

"So, am I going to be Roger in Iona's body?" I asked.

"Not exactly, you're going to be a combination of both your original persona and Iona's. However, your original personality will dominate," she replied.

"Good," I replied. There were many things about Iona's personality that I didn't care for.

"One change you'll notice is your emotional state, due to the hormones," she continued.

"That makes sense," I replied.

"Don't take this change so lightly. Think of it as a general loosening of your emotional control."

I nodded again. I then brought up another subject. "One of the first things I want to do is to get a new wardrobe. Nothing against Iona's taste, but I'd prefer something less revealing, if you know what I mean. I'd like to dress classier."

"I am glad to hear that. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your body, but I always thought that Iona dressed too trashy," she laughed.

She also helped me start to come to grips with the loss of my family. I read my own obituary in the San Diego Union-Tribune. It was truly bizarre seeing my life summarized into a single paragraph. I thought about my family and how they were mourning my death. I was also mourning the loss of my family. I imagined that they would take my body back to Ohio for burial. Thinking about my own funeral made me feel very depressed, and I started to cry again, but Aunt Kayla said that it was good to talk about it; holding it in would only make it worse. I cried a lot of tears thinking about what had happened.

I was stuck in a wheel chair as we left the hospital. My left leg was in a cast from my hip to my toes. The doctor recommended a specialist, but Aunt Kayla told him that she had already arranged for my treatment.

Aunt Kayla had a house overlooking the Pacific Ocean near Sunset Cliffs. She wheeled me into the house and out to her back garden. She had a small fenced-in garden that was beautiful. There was an enormous tree in the back of the garden. Its branches provided shelter for the rest of the garden. There were plants everywhere, and it seemed like I was in a forest rather than a fenced-in yard. I could barely make out the fence through all the plants. The plants combined to produce a rather exotic aroma. It produced an overall sense of peace and tranquility.

"This is my special place and the perfect spot to get you back on your feet," she stated with a sense of pride.

Then she lit some candles, some incense, and a fire in the stone hearth. The garden had a very mystical feeling to it. It was as if it had been transplanted from some other part of the world. I felt instantly at ease.

She smiled as she brewed what looked like some sort of herbal tea over the fire. The aroma was very soothing. I watched as she seemed to start chanting as she prepared the tea.

When the tea was ready, she poured it in a mug and handed it to me. "Drink it at your leisure. I think you'll like it," she explained.

I wasn't much into herbal tea, but I decided to follow her advice and try it. It was very good, and it made me feel very relaxed.

"Now, let's start on your ribs." She then placed her hands on the side of my chest, and I felt warmth spread out. I could hear her chanting something softly. I couldn't make out what she was saying, but it sounded Celtic. I really couldn't tell. It was similar to the feeling that she used to ease my pain in the hospital, but it was deeper and stronger. After a few minutes, there was no more discomfort or pain. I smiled as I rubbed my side.

She smiled back and repeated the process on the side of my head. It was as if I could feel myself healing. In a few minutes, my head was healed and the pain was gone.

The leg took longer. She initially worked through the cast itself. I felt as if my leg was immersed in warm water. She ran her hands up and down my leg for over twenty minutes. She then picked up an ornate knife and slowly cut off the cast. The blade seemed to glow a soft blue color as she removed the cast from my leg. She eventually cut the cast completely free from my leg.

"Okay, dear, please stand up," she ordered.

I did as she told me. As I stood up, I found that my leg was completely healed. I looked back at the cast and saw the metal pins and rods that had been in my leg were lying in the cast. I ran my hand down my leg; there was no sign of any scar.

I walked around on my healed leg, and then I went over and hugged Aunt Kayla.

"Thank you so much," I exclaimed. More and more I was convinced that magic really existed. I know this sounds stupid considering I was now a young woman, but the way Kayla used her magic made it look so matter-of-fact. My eyes were being opened to a whole new world.

"I'm sorry it took so long, but those damn steel rods are hard to remove," she complained. She then winked at me. "Now, let me show you around our home."

As we walked around the house, I felt instantly at home. Everything was very natural in the house. There was a feeling of warmth that seemed to flow through the house. My bedroom was on the second floor and had an ocean view. The room was large and had an attached bathroom with a very large bathtub. It looked like you could almost swim laps in it.

"Why don't you take a nice long bath? Then we can have a talk. I've unpacked your clothes, and they are in the dresser and the closet. I also bought you some things that you might like more than what was in your suitcase," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Sounds like a great idea," I sighed.

Aunt Kayla smiled and walked out, closing the door behind her.

I stripped down as the tub filled with water. I examine my nude body. I was now about four inches shorter. I examined my breasts. The label in my bra said I was 36 D. They were a bit big for my frame, but at least they were very nicely shaped. My nipples were extremely sensitive. I just had to brush against them, and I felt a shot of pleasure through my body. I ran my hands down my body. I looked in the mirror and saw that I had a tattoo on my back, just above my butt. It looked like some sort of Celtic symbol. I wondered about its significance. I then ran my fingers past my vagina. I smiled, noting that I was truly a natural redhead. Iona may have lowered my sexual urges somewhat, but I was horny. I found that I could be aroused very quickly; I hoped that I could control these feelings. I decided to talk to Aunt Kayla about it.

I liked the water hot enough so that you had to inch down into the tub. I slipped down into the water. It really felt good. Even though Aunt Kayla had healed my broken bones, I still felt sore. The hot water did much to ease my discomfort.

As I laid there in the hot water, I found myself fingering my vagina. I explored and felt myself until I found a spot that felt VERY good when I rubbed it the right way! There were things about this change that weren't so bad!

After I dried myself off, I looked for something to wear. Most of Iona's clothes were too sexy and revealing for my taste. I wanted to establish my own style and not follow Iona's path. Thankfully, Aunt Kayla had great taste in clothes. After I put on my panties, I picked out a bra. It was strange putting one on. The only previous experience I'd had with this was trying to take one off a girl!

Aunt Kayla had laid out an outfit for me. There was a green sleeveless blouse and a green floral skirt. She had selected a pair of small silver hoop earrings, a wooden bead necklace, matching bracelets, and several silver rings. There was also a pair of brown leather sandals. It was strange slipping on the skirt. The way it flowed around my legs was a new, but totally pleasant feeling. I didn't bother with the sandals, as I didn't plan on going anywhere.

She had also bought me some new makeup. From Iona's memories, I knew how to apply makeup, but I didn't bother trying this right now. Thankfully, Iona's long wavy hair was fairly easy to style. I didn't have to do much more than blow-dry it.

I went downstairs and joined Aunt Kayla out in the garden.


Chapter Four


"You look lovely, my dear," commented Aunt Kayla.

"Thank you. I assume that you picked this outfit out?" I asked as I sat down in a large wicker chair.

She smiled. "Yes, after our conversation, and from what I saw in your suitcase, I figured you'd want something less flamboyant. We can go shopping to further expand your wardrobe. Then we can drop off your old stuff at Goodwill, if they'll take it!"

I laughed; it felt good to laugh. "That sounds nice!" I sat there for a moment, thinking. "I have so many questions and don't know where to start," I commented.

She poured me a cup of Earl Gray tea.

"Well, that's only natural," she replied. She sat there and waited patiently for me to talk.

"Why did Iona throw her life away?" I asked. I took a sip of the tea; it was very good.

"It's hard to say. She was always a bit self-centered. We hoped that she would eventually grow up and become an adult. That's why she was coming here to live with me. Fiona was fed up and saw me as Iona's last chance," she explained.

"I know that she wasn't looking forward to coming here, that's why she took the trip to Hawaii. She wanted one last party before coming here. I think she saw living here as entering prison."

"I know. She told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't want to live with me. I think she was hoping that I wouldn't want her to come here."

"I take it that Iona burned a lot of bridges in the family?" I asked.

"Burned? Incinerated is a better word," she replied with a smile.

"Did she have any good points?" I asked. I watched as a gray cat walked into the garden and rubbed up against me.

"When she was younger she did, but as she grew up it would be hard to say something complimentary about her lately. At least she went out with an unselfish act. Her shielding you saved your life. By the way, that's Tully, her name means 'peaceful one' in Gaelic, and she is very friendly. There is a black one around here somewhere who is called Bran, which is Celtic for raven. Bran's a little more standoffish, but is still a wonderful cat."

"It would be nice that she is remembered for that," I sighed. I reached down and scratched Tully's chin. She immediately jumped up in my lap. 'The peaceful one' certainly lived up to her name as she curled up in my lap.

"That is a very sweet idea," replied Aunt Kayla. She smiled as I petted the very contented Tully. "I think you are right; she should be remembered for such an unselfish act. Maybe there was hope for her after all."

"I'm more than a little uneasy about spending the rest of my life as a woman." I stated.

"Of course you are; that's to be expected. But, I know you will adjust. I'm not going to lie to you; this will be a difficult transition. You have much to learn. There are going to be major changes in your life and not just your new gender either," she explained. "I'll help you adjust to your new life."

"One of the things she did to me was to make me more sexual. She toned it down after we got off the flight, but I find that I am still 'rather excitable'."

"There may not be anything I can do about that. When we use our powers on ourselves, it is very difficult for someone else to make adjustments; it often leads to other problems," explained Aunt Kayla.

"You mean that it could upset the person's emotional balance?" I asked

"Exactly. I'll try to help you control your urges through more 'conventional' means."

"Thanks," I answered. "I must say that I am overwhelmed by your generosity and hospitality. I'm also relieved that I'm not out on my own."

"Well, technically you're still my niece, so there are the family ties. I also feel a bit guilty about what happened to you. I should have insisted that Iona come here sooner. I also like you," she replied. "You are handling this change very well. It's normal to get emotional about something like this."

"You sound like this happens all the time!" I quipped.

"Who says it doesn't?" she answered with her own sly smile. "There are things going on in the world that most people have no idea about. You're very fortunate, as you are going to see and learn about a world that very few people even know exist."

"Speaking of which, what will you do to the man who caused the accident?" I asked. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the black cat Bran come slinking in.

"I've been thinking about that. We do have a code of conduct, so I can't just kill him. But I can change him and make his life VERY difficult!" she answered with a smile.

"Change him? Like into an animal or something like that?" I asked. Bran came over to see why Tully was so content. I soon had a second cat trying to find room in my lap. Tully had no intention in sharing this prime spot. However, Bran was content to share my chair.

"Yes, I could do that, but an animal would be a step up for him. No, I think I will help the local judicial system. I think that it would be very nice for him to give a total confession to the police about the accident. I've also learned that he has been involved in some rather unsavory business deals. There is the old saying that confession is good for the soul; well, I have a feeling that his soul is going to feel very good after he gets done telling the police EVERY illegal act he's been involved in. He will also do this without making any deals for himself, because he's going to feel extremely guilty for what he has done," she replied with a laugh.

I joined her in laughing. "So, he'll be going to jail for a very long time?" I asked.

"He should be so lucky! Some of the people he will be talking about may not like his sudden honesty!"

I nodded. "So, while you can't use your powers to kill someone, you can use them to put the person in jeopardy based on their own actions?"

"Exactly. He'll get the punishment he has earned. I won't let him get hurt, but I want him to feel real FEAR. He will spend the rest of his life in prison, which could be a worse fate than death," explained Aunt Kayla. She looked at the two cats that surrounded me. "If they start being pests, shoo them away."

"They aren't a problem, I love animals," I explained. "So, does everyone in your family have similar powers?"

"All of the women are blessed with the powers. Their individual powers vary. Iona had great potential; her powers were very strong," she replied.

"I wonder why she didn't use them to save herself during the accident?" I asked.

"She had no discipline. It is one thing to cast a spell on a sleeping person; it is something very different to use your powers in a split second. If she had learned to be more disciplined, then she could have stopped the accident altogether," she answered.

We both sat there in silence. Even the cats were quiet.

"Did she take all her powers with her when we switched bodies?" I asked.

"Who knows? Maybe she left some; only time will tell. I wouldn't concern yourself with that right now, you have much more pressing things to deal with," explained Aunt Kayla.

She was right. I had to deal with being a woman, with makeup, with a period, college (Again!), my new family, and so much more. I figured that just adapting to this massive change in my life would be enough to worry about for now.


Chapter Five


I woke up to the sound of the Pacific Ocean outside my bedroom window. After I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, I got up and walked to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I still wasn't completely used to my new image. Until a week ago, I had been Roger Lyons, formerly of the US Navy, and a highly paid defense contractor. Now, I was Iona Beddau, a very beautiful 21-year-old woman with a rather dubious past.

I stripped off my nightgown and turned on the shower. The water hitting my nipples soon had me very excited. My nipples hardened as the hot water struck them. It felt very good, and I was soon in a sexual frenzy. I began to finger myself with one hand and rub my nipples with the other. One of my many discoveries was that the female orgasm was superior to the male orgasm! It was more of a whole body sensation, and it was much more satisfying. I had also discovered the spot in my vagina that really felt good. Between my hands and the hot spray of the water, I climaxed. My orgasms were very intense and I made no attempt to hold them in or restrict my response. Aunt Kayla told me that there was no need to hold back something so natural and wonderful.

I selected a white top and a long blue skirt. My wardrobe was presently small. The original Iona had dressed far more provocatively than my tastes allowed. It wasn't that I wanted to hide my new body, but at the same time I didn't want to look like a hooker. Maybe that was too harsh; Iona was just young and foolish, and I didn't think she was evil.

I came downstairs and was greeted by the cats, Tully and Bran. They'd both taken an instant liking to me. I didn't mind this at all, as I loved animals.

They followed me into the kitchen, where Aunt Kayla was having breakfast.

"Good morning, my dear. How do you feel this morning?" asked Aunt Kayla

"I feel really good, thank you. How're you this morning?"

"Wonderful," she replied with a smile.

I fixed myself a mug of tea and sat down next to her.

Aunt Kayla worked as a psychotherapist and had her office in the house.

"When is your first appointment?" I asked.

"Not until 10:00. I only have two patients today, so why don't we go out for lunch and some shopping this afternoon?" she suggested.

"That sounds good," I answered. "How long have you been a therapist?"

"I have been licensed for over twelve years," she replied.

I took a long sip of my tea, and then I looked over at Aunt Kayla. "Do you use your powers with your patients?" I asked.

"Only to find out their problems; I use this knowledge to help them find their way," she explained.

"Could you use your powers to cure them?" I asked.

"Yes, I could, but I don't. When it comes to solving personal problems, it is better to take the time and let the people help themselves," she commented.

"Like what you are doing with me?" I answered with a sly smile.

She smiled back. "Exactly," she replied. "So what is your first question of the day?"

I thought about it, as I had so many questions. "Does the tattoo on my back have any significance, or was it just another one of Iona's acts of rebellion?" I asked.

"Tattoo? Let me see it, please," she asked. I noticed a slight note of concern in her voice.

I stood up, turned around, and pulled up my top. It was just visible above the top of my skirt.

Aunt Kayla leaned over and examined it carefully. When she touched it, I felt a tingle through my body that caused me to jump slightly.

"That was an interesting response," she said. She told me to stay there while she retrieved her digital camera and took several pictures of it.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"No, I don't think so. Obviously, it isn't a normal tattoo. I will have to show it to a friend to find out its exact purpose," she explained.

"What do you mean?" I asked. I followed her to her office.

"It's some sort of protection symbol. I'm sending the pictures to a colleague who studies such things," she explained.

I watched her download the picture and attach it to an e-mail.

"I'm surprised that you are so computer savvy. Everything around here is so natural and non-technical," I quipped.

"Computers are wonderful tools. I love the instant exchange of information. Besides, did you ever think that it might have been someone in our community that invented the Internet?" she replied with a sly grin.

I was learning that she had a very sly sense of humor, and I often had a hard time telling when she was kidding me. I decided that a shrug of the shoulders was the safest response.

"Speaking of the Internet, I got an e-mail from Fiona this morning," she announced. Fiona was Iona's mother. "She'll be flying out here in a week to meet you."

"By plane?" I asked, with a smile.

"Of course, by plane!" answered Aunt Kayla. "Brooms are sooo 17th century!" She then laughed.

"On a more serious note, how does she feel about me?" I asked. I was a bit worried about Fiona's reaction.

"She's just interested in meeting you. She believes your story and doesn't blame you for what happened," explained Aunt Kayla. "I can understand your concern, but you have nothing to worry about."

"Thanks," I answered in a relieved tone.

We went out back to her garden and sat down. Aunt Kayla's garden was a very special place. I suspected that it was more than just a garden. It seemed to have energy of its own.

"My turn to ask you something. How're you handling your grief with respect to your birth family?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"I am getting by. Every now and then something will remind me of them," I answered softly.

"How often is 'every now and then'?" asked Aunt Kayla. Her voice was very soothing.

I felt a swelling of emotions. "I think about them all the time. Even though I lived far away from them, we were still very close. It really hurts to think that I will never see them again," I replied. I felt my eyes watering up with tears.

"That's not true, there is a way you could see them," she replied.

"How?" I asked.

"Write them and tell them how 'Roger' saved your life and how you would like to meet them some day. They know that he was with someone during the accident. It might heal wounds for all of you," explained Aunt Kayla.

I thought about what she said. It was a good idea. I just hoped that I could get through the letter. I was also beginning to see how Aunt Kayla worked as a therapist!

"You're really good," I replied with a smile.

"Thank you very much for the compliment," she answered with a smile. "Now, I need to get ready for my 10 o'clock. I'll see you afterwards, and we'll head downtown."

I got up and hugged her. "Thanks again."


Chapter Six


I went upstairs and turned on the computer in my room. Tully, the large gray cat, followed me upstairs. It took me several attempts to even get started on the letter. How do you write to the family that thinks you are dead? Tully jumped up and sat in my lap. She really was affectionate!

After thirty minutes, I had scratched out a rough draft. I read it to a half-awake Tully.

"Well?" I asked Tully when I finished.

Tully looked at me and let out a small "mrrrr."

I wasn't sure if that was a positive or negative response. I looked at the letter again. It wasn't too bad. I hesitated about getting too emotional. As Roger, I hadn't been dating anyone steadily, and I didn't want to come off in the letter as appearing to be my love interest.

I wrote that we had met in Hawaii and had really hit it off; then we'd just happened to wind up on the same flight coming back. (That first part was technically true, since the plane was still on the ground when we first saw each other.) After we'd landed, we'd decided to grab some breakfast before he showed me the city. There was some truth in this, so I didn't feel like I was totally lying to my family. I then described how "Roger" had shielded me with his body, thus saving my life. This was true. I went on, stating that I would like to meet his family someday. Again this was true.

After a few more edits, I felt it was ready, but I wanted to show it to Aunt Kayla before I mailed it.

I checked my watch and saw that I still had some time to kill before Aunt Kayla was finished with her patients. This gave me free time to think about my situation. I decided to check out Iona's, rather MY e-mail.

It took me a few minutes to recall her e-mail account and password. I discovered that she had a huge backlog of e-mail. I started sorting through each message. This was actually a good exercise for me. It forced me to dig deeper into her memories.

Many of the messages were from her past lovers. I sort of cringed when I realized how many sexual partners she had been with. Most of the messages were asking her when she would be in their respective town. I was relieved that none of them were from San Diego. The closest one was a guy named Brett who lived in Colorado.

There were also some hate filled messages. Some were from women whose husbands or boyfriends had slept with Iona. Others were from people whom she had pissed off somehow. A few had even heard of the accident and had written to send her "worst wishes" and hoped that she was in severe pain. It was a bit overwhelming to see that I had inherited so many enemies.

I was unsure what to do about this trail of baggage that Iona had left behind. I decided not to respond to any of the mail and to talk to Aunt Kayla about it.


Chapter Seven


We headed into town for lunch and a little shopping. I told Aunt Kayla about the e-mail.

"I think it is best that you ignore them for now. I also think you should set up a new account for yourself as well," she suggested.

"Sounds like a good idea," I answered.

"You sound a bit worried," she asked.

"I guess I am. Some of the mail was pretty nasty. Iona really pissed off these people, and I am just worried that I might run into them someday," I explained. "This transition is hard enough without dealing with people seeking revenge."

"I wish I could tell you that everything will be okay," she commented.

"Thanks," I answered. "So, where are we going?"

"How do you feel about Horton Plaza?" she asked.

Horton Plaza was a downtown shopping mall. It was open to the elements and had multiple levels, rambling paths, and was very colorful. There were many stores, restaurants, and a movie theater. It seemed like a good place to start my shopping experience as a woman.

"Sounds good," I answered.

We put aside my problems and treated the afternoon as a "normal" girls' afternoon out shopping. I have discovered that normal is a relative term.

I felt a bit uneasy as we started shopping and relied heavily on Aunt Kayla's advice and recommendations. Fortunately, she had a great fashion sense and I liked most of what she recommended. After I got over my initial nervousness, I started to relax and actually have fun.

We concentrated on everyday type clothes for the most part. When it comes to dressing, guys have it so easy! The biggest accessory I had to worry about as a guy was to make sure my tie matched my shirt and pants. I now had to learn what my colors were and how to pick out the proper accessories. Iona's memories were pretty useless, as she wasn't into mainstream dressing.

I showed a blouse to Aunt Kayla and mentioned how it would go with the skirt we'd bought in the previous shop.

"Well, you're a quick learner!" she said with a laugh.

I smiled. I really liked Aunt Kayla. At first, it was because she had accepted and taken me in after the accident, but now my affection towards her was deeper. I felt as close to her as I did my own mother. The thought of my mom made me shiver for a second.

"You okay?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I nodded, "Yes, I just thought about my family."

"It will take time to get over this. What you are experiencing is normal. Why don't we get something to eat?" she asked.

"That sounds good," I answered.

Aunt Kayla didn't feel like eating in the fast food court. We dropped our stuff off in the car and walked to the Gas Lamp District. This area had once been really seedy and rundown, but now it was filled with great restaurants and shops. As we walked down 5th Avenue, I was awash in memories. When I was Roger, I'd spent a lot of time there.

We agreed on a place and sat down for a relaxing lunch. The lunch rush was over, so we could eat at our leisure.

"I think you did pretty well for your first time out," commented Aunt Kayla.

"It's strange; I never cared for shopping in my previous life, but today was fun," I answered.

Aunt Kayla kept the conversation light. I knew we would get into more serious topics once we got home. It was funny how I now saw her house as my home.

As we talked, I was suddenly hit by a very strange sensation. I had the strange feeling that someone I knew was about to enter the restaurant. A few seconds later, I saw a coworker from my old life walk into the restaurant with several other men. His name was Tom, and, while we were never friends, I did get along with him. He was in his fifties, married with two kids, and seemed like a nice normal guy. Naturally, he didn't know it was me. What was strange was that I knew to look for him before I could see him.

I knew that it couldn't be a coincidence, and I mentioned it to Aunt Kayla.

"That is very interesting. Let me know if you feel it again. Maybe you have some powers after all!" she stated.

We had to walk right by Tom's table as we left the restaurant. As we approached his table, I could see his eyes check me out, and then he winked and smiled at me, and not in a nice social way! I was the same age as his daughter Kim, and he was checking me out! UGH!

I stopped at his table and smiled. "Mr. Harris?" I asked.

He nodded. My recognizing him caused him to be slightly confused.

"I thought it was you. We met once when you were visiting Kim at college," I said sweetly.

He was now in a slight panic mode. Had he made a pass at one of his daughter's friends? "It's nice to see you again," he stammered. He was confused and was trying to remember me.

I wanted to get away before he started to ask me any questions. "Well, we have to go, take care!" I stated with a smile. We then walked out of the restaurant and back to our car.

"I'm sorry for that, but it creeped me out that he was checking me out," I apologized.

Aunt Kayla laughed. "Don't apologize. I think you handled that perfectly!"

As we drove home, she asked me more about the recognition feeling that I got in the restaurant.

"I got it at least thirty seconds before Tom came in the door. There was no way I could have seen him first," I explained.

"It could be a very useful skill," commented Aunt Kayla.

"How?" I asked.

"It could be used as protection. You will have a heads up before running into someone you know. I wonder if it works for people from Iona's past?" she asked.

I thought about it. It could be a very useful talent to have. I was too stunned by the feeling the first time to try to see if I could sense who it was before I saw him. I would do that the next time. It was also cool knowing that I might have some of Iona's powers.

"Changing the subject slightly, how do you feel about being seen as a lovely young woman?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I smiled. "It will take some getting used to. I tried to ignore most of the looks I got when we were walking around," I replied.

"What about your sexual urges?" she asked.

"I had them under control, but they were active. I have to concentrate at times to keep them from getting out of control. They get very active when I am not concentrating on something. I could feel my nipples hardening at times. I am worried about what will happen when someone comes on to me," I answered in a concerned tone.

"Well, until you learn to control your feelings, you need to be careful where you go," she explained.

"I know," I said softly. My sexual feelings scared me in many ways, and at the same time they intrigued me.


Chapter Eight


Later that afternoon I showed Aunt Kayla the letter that I had written to my family. We were sitting out in her garden. Aunt Kayla's home was filled with natural energy, but it seemed strongest in the garden. I was beginning to notice that I was becoming more aware of the power that seemed focused here. I always felt better when I was in the garden.

As she read the letter, I petted Tully, who had become very close to me. I looked around for Bran. I didn't see her around, which wasn't uncommon. Bran was friendly but aloof. On the other hand, Tully seemed to crave affection.

"This is very good. So, do you think that they'll take you up on your offer to meet them face to face?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Most likely they will. I know my sister Jenny will want to meet me," I answered. Tully had adjusted herself so I could get behind her left ear.

"I would like to hear about your family," asked Aunt Kayla.

"They live in Columbus, Ohio. Dad works at the airport; he's the head of the maintenance department, and my mom works part-time as a substitute teacher. Jenny is my older sister. She's an art teacher at a small college in Columbus. I also have a younger brother named Pete who is in the Navy. He's stationed in Virginia," I answered.

"I take it you are close to your sister," asked Aunt Kayla.

I felt a rush of emotions thinking about her. "Yes, we're really close, or rather we were really close. We were only thirteen months apart. Pete came around four years later. I imagine my death hit her really hard," I replied, brushing away a tear.

"Don't hold in your emotions, dear," explained Aunt Kayla. "It's perfectly normal to feel grief."

"Losing my family is the worst part of this," I answered. Tears were streaming down my face.

Aunt Kayla didn't say a word. She just reached over and took my hand in hers. She let me cry, letting out my grief and emotions.

"I hate the fact that I've brought so much pain into their lives," I cried.

"You're not responsible. It isn't your fault," said Aunt Kayla firmly.

"I know, but it still hurts," I explained. "This is the only thing I can't forgive Iona for."

"Try to let it go. It may take time, but it is never healthy to carry around negative feelings about someone," commented Aunt Kayla.

"Easier said than done," I answered. I had stopped crying and was wiping my eyes. I did like the fact that my emotions were less controlled than when I was a man. I had hated the idea that a man couldn't show all his emotions.

"Try to let it go. Hate is a very powerful emotion, and it does more harm than most people think. It is like smoking, even a little bit is harmful," she explained.

"I'll try," I said softly.

"Why don't we take a walk along the waterfront and watch the sunset? I think it will be good for both of us," suggested Aunt Kayla.

"Okay, but I don't think Tully will appreciate losing her nap area," I replied with a laugh.

"She'll get over it," quipped Aunt Kayla with a smile.


Chapter Nine


We walked out of the house and down the street. The sun would be going down in a half-hour, and it looked like it would be a spectacular sunset. There were just enough clouds to make it interesting.

"I've always loved watching sunsets, especially when I was at sea," I sighed. I was momentarily overcome by memories of the past.

"Yes, there is something very special about them," she answered.

I watched as an old man walked towards us. He looked around 70, but he might have been older. He still had a full head of gray hair and a thin, neat moustache, which made him look very distinguished. He walked with a bounce in his step. He carried a walking stick, but he didn't seem to need it. Obviously, he knew Aunt Kayla, as he smiled and waved when he looked up at us.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise! I was hoping I would see you this evening, Kayla," he exclaimed.

He had a very pleasant demeanor, and I liked him almost immediately.

"It is good to see you, Jacob. I want to introduce you to my niece, Iona. She'll be staying with me while she attends college," answered Aunt Kayla.

"I'm pleased to meet you," I greeted him with a smile.

"Ah, so this is the young lady who was in that awful accident. I'm very pleased to meet you, Iona," stated Jacob, as he shook my hand.

"Jacob lives up the street, and we've been friends for years," explained Aunt Kayla.

"So, how do you like living here with your aunt?" he asked.

"I love it," I answered truthfully.

He looked at Aunt Kayla with a surprised look on his face. "Seems she has a different attitude than what you expected, Kayla."

"It's a long story, Jacob," answered Aunt Kayla. She winked at me.

I wondered if he knew Aunt Kayla's secret.

"Well, it is a pleasure to have you grace our neighborhood, my dear," said Jacob to me with a smile. "I hope that you two lovely ladies will join me for dinner this weekend."

Aunt Kayla smiled. "I would never turn down an invitation from you."

"That's splendid. I'll expect you Sunday evening at six. Well, I must be going. I promised Marny that I would meet her this evening," he explained.

"Oh? I didn't know she was back in town," said Kayla with surprise.

"Yes, she just got back yesterday. She had been down in Mexico with the gray whales," explained Jacob.

"I'd love to see her again, please tell her that," asked Aunt Kayla.

"I will. I am sure she will want to get together with you," answered Jacob. With that, he headed down the road towards the ocean.

"Is Marny a marine biologist?" I asked.

"Something like that," answered Aunt Kayla with a sly smile.

We stood there watching the sunset. It was magnificent.

"If I ever reach a day that I cannot enjoy something so beautiful, then I'll know there is no use in living any longer," commented Aunt Kayla.

"I agree!" I exclaimed.

The sky was awash in colors, ranging from red near the horizon to purples and blues.

"So, tell me about Jacob. Does he know about you?" I asked.

"Yes. He knows that I have powers. He was a sea captain and spent most of his life at sea. He is also blessed with an open mind and a willingness to accept that there is magic in the world," answered Aunt Kayla. "How old do you think he is?"

"Seventy?" I answered.

She smiled. "He will be 103 this September."

I was stunned. "103? That's incredible!" I exclaimed.

"I told you that there is a whole world out there that most people have no idea even exists," she answered.

"I'm looking forward to talking to him," I stated.

"He will love that. He always craves a new person to tell his sea stories to!" said Aunt Kayla with a laugh.

We walked back to the house for dinner. Aunt Kayla was also teaching me how to cook. That was almost as difficult as putting on makeup! My previous cooking skills revolved mainly around using the microwave.

"You had to do more than just use the microwave?" asked Aunt Kayla

"I was also well known by all the local food delivery services. I wonder if they sent flowers to my funeral," I joked and I broke out laughing. "That's first time I've been able to crack a joke about that."

"Well, I can see another big difference between you and Iona; you have a sense of humor!"

After dinner, Aunt Kayla received a phone call from the friend whom she had asked about my tattoo.

While they talked, I cleaned up the dishes and slipped a few scraps to the cats. I was trying very hard not to eavesdrop. I was really curious about the tattoo. I put the kettle on for tea and waited for Aunt Kayla to get off the phone.

A few minutes later she walked into the kitchen, "Well, I have some interesting news for you," she said, "Why don't we fix our tea and head out to the garden to talk?"

"Okay," I responded. At least she didn't say bad news!

A few minutes later, we were sitting out in the garden. It seemed even more mystical at night. The only lights came from the candles that were all over the place. If you didn't know better, you'd swear that you were in the middle of a forest!

"First off, the tattoo is magical. It is the reason why you were able to detect your old co-worker this afternoon. It'll let you know whenever there is someone you know within approximately 200 yards. Eventually, it will feel like any of your other senses, and it won't feel as dramatic as it did this afternoon," explained Aunt Kayla. "It should work for both your own memories and those of Iona."

It was nice to know the purpose of the tattoo, but at the same time I was a bit disappointed. I was kind of hoping that I had some powers.

"So I don't have any powers; it is all from the tattoo, right?" I asked.

She smiled. "No, that's not true. The tattoo won't work without the person having some powers. Otherwise, everyone could slap on a tattoo and gain new senses," she said. "As to what powers you have and how they will develop, only time will answer that question."

I perked up. "Really? That's cool!"

"I do need to ask you to do something for me," said Aunt Kayla in serious tone. "I'll need you to undress so I can examine your body. My friend says that if Iona got one of these, she may have gotten more."

"I haven't seen any others," I answered.

"Not all tattoos are visible to the naked eye. Some can only be seen by candlelight or ultraviolet light. I can check for both right here, if you don't mind," she explained.

I thought about it. I felt very safe in the garden and figured, why not? I stood up and began to undress. I removed my clothes and carefully folded and placed them on my chair.

I stood and watched the light and shadows caused by the candles flicker on my nude body. Aunt Kayla walked around and carefully examined my body. I felt totally at ease and relaxed.

First she looked me over using a candle, and then she shifted to a special flashlight that used UV light. She started at my head and moved down. Everything seemed okay until she reached my vagina. Just above my pubic hair, some sort of strange pattern was visible.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"It is some sort of blessing. It has been a while since I have seen this language. It is Celtic, but a very old version," she stated. "I have a book that will help me translate it."

She handed me the light, and then she copied down the blessing. When she finished, she checked the rest of my body. There were no other tattoos.

I got dressed while she retrieved the book she'd referred to.

"Here it is!" she exclaimed.

I eagerly walked over and joined her. I was still buttoning up my top.

"It is a blessing. It is there to protect you from all sexual diseases and from unwanted pregnancy," stated Aunt Kayla.

"So did Iona get this to protect her during her sexual exploits?" I asked.

"Apparently so. And it's quite irregular, this is a controlled spell, and she shouldn't have been able to get it," said Aunt Kayla in a concerned tone.

"What do you mean controlled spell?" I asked.

"There are rules regarding the use of certain types of magic. This blessing spell falls into a category that is strictly controlled. It is also part of the reason why you have a heightened sexuality," she explained.

"I take it that it can't be removed." I asked.

"That's true. I want you to try to remember who gave Iona this tattoo," she asked. I noticed a serious tone in her voice.

"I'll try, but it is very hard to dig into her memories. I get a headache when I try to go too deep," I explained.

"It's very important that you try, dear," stated Aunt Kayla.

I sat down and started to access Iona's memories. It took a lot of concentration to do so. As I struggled to recall who she got the tattoos from, I felt my head start to throb. The headache started light, but quickly became very intense. I soon could picture the house and was about to see the person answering the door when I was overcome by the pain and screamed.

I must have blacked out for a minute or so, because when I opened my eyes I was looking up at Aunt Kayla. It took me a second to realize that I was on my back.

"How do you feel?" she asked in soft voice.

"Better. The pain is almost gone," I moaned.

"Stay there for a moment. I want you to ease back up," she stated.

"What happened? I was just about to see the person answering the door when I blacked out," I explained. "The pain was the most intense that I've ever had."

"Apparently whoever did the work on Iona left a spell to protect their privacy. Don't try to access those memories again," she ordered firmly.

"No problem there. But I can describe the house she was about to enter, if that will help," I answered. I then began to sit up.

"That would be very helpful," replied Aunt Kayla. "Here, let me help you get up."

Aunt Kayla helped me up and over to a chair. After I sat down, I began to describe the house Iona was about to enter. It was an old Victorian house. It was painted green, but the paint was very faded and there was ivy on the walls. The front door had a dragon's head for a doorknocker. The trees around it looked like hardwoods and were changing color from green to red and orange.

"That will help some," she stated.

"So what's the big deal? Why would the tattoo artist be so concerned that Iona would remember about him?" I asked.

"The person that tattooed Iona did so illegally. The one on your back isn't the problem; it's the other one that is an issue," stated Aunt Kayla.

"Why?" I asked.

"Unlike your first tattoo, this one will work on anyone. Because it is invisible to the naked eye, it has been used in the past on people without their knowledge. It has been used to turn a woman into the perfect prostitute. She would be highly sexed and safe from disease and unwanted pregnancy," she explained. "It's for this reason that it was placed on the banned list of spells."

"Apparently Iona got it willingly. I didn't sense that she was forced to get it," I said.

"I believe you. I will send in a report of what happened along with your description of the house. There aren't many people out there who could do this spell. It must be copied exactly, even the slightest mistake in the calligraphy could render the spell useless," she said. "The spell will give the person very high sexual urges. It looks like Iona used a counter-spell to control it. When she switched bodies with you, she released it to make you a more willing sexual partner."

"So when she lowered my sexual urges in the airport, she was just recasting the counter-spell?" I asked.

"Exactly. There is nothing I can do about it, as I don't know the exact counter-spell she used. I might actually make your situation worse," she stated softly.

"You mean my sexual urges would be high all the time?" I asked.

"Yes. Again, that is why this sort of tattoo spell is banned," she said.

I was barely able to control them now. I shuddered at the thought of being driven by carnal lust!

"You have any other questions?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Not that I plan on doing so in the near future, but how can I get pregnant, assuming I want to?" I asked.

"That's simple, you just give yourself permission to get pregnant," she stated with a smile.

"How do I do that? Bend over and tell my ovaries 'go for it girls'?" I asked with a laugh.

Aunt Kayla laughed. "Not exactly. All you have to do is think about it and your body will do the rest."

"I have one more question. Will the person who did these tattoos be angry with me for getting them in trouble?" I asked.

"Maybe, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. They'd have to go through me, and I won't let them hurt you," she stated firmly.

"Thank you. I feel a bit better knowing that."

The last thing I did before going to bed was to address the letter to my family and put it with the outgoing mail. I wondered how they would react. I pondered this until I drifted off to sleep.


Chapter Ten


A few days later, Aunt Kayla and I were walking along the ocean. I was slowly adjusting to my situation. I needed to get my life going again. Thankfully, money wasn't a problem, as Iona had a huge trust fund.

"Have you given any thought to what you want to do with the rest of your life?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"I would love to go back to the type of job I had before, but I now lack the documented education and experience," I answered.

"I have contacted a friend at San Diego State, and she says that you can start in the fall semester if you want."

"I'd like that," I replied. "However, short of joining the Navy again, I don't see any way to regain my reputation as a top troubleshooter."

"Let's take it one step at a time. You may decide to take a different path," answered Aunt Kayla.

"You're right. I'm just a bit frustrated -- make that very frustrated," I exclaimed. "Even if I go back to my old career, I don't know if I will be taken seriously as a woman. It's not exactly a progressive environment."

"Did you ever run into any women who did the same work?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I thought about it for a moment. "No, I can't think of any," I answered.

"You can be a trendsetter," she stated. "It's just something that I want you to think about."

I paused as we reached the end of the road. "I really appreciate all your help. I don't think I could get through this without it. It's a bit overwhelming at times," I said. I felt my eyes watering up with tears.

"You are strong; you'll get through this," she stated, and she hugged me.

I wiped my tears away. "Thanks," I answered. "I can't believe how quickly these emotions take over."

"There is nothing to be ashamed about," explained Aunt Kayla. "Now, why don't we go home? We need to be at Jacob's house in an hour."

"How much does he know about us?" I asked as we started back to the house.

"He knows I have certain powers and knowledge. I haven't told him anything about you yet. That is up to you," she answered.

"If you trust him, I don't see a problem. Besides it would be nice to have someone else with whom I can talk about this," I replied.

"I was hoping you would say that. Jacob is very understanding," she commented.


Chapter Eleven


We arrived at Jacob's house a little before six. Aunt Kayla said that he had a thing about promptness. His house was just a few blocks down the road, so we had walked there. There was a second story deck in the front with a great view of the ocean.

Jacob greeted us as we walked towards his front door. "I get so few visitors these days that I can't wait to see them in!"

We both laughed. He gave us each a big hug and welcomed us into his house. His home was decorated in "early port of call," in that it was filled with a mismatch of items he had collected from all his travels. I felt immediately at home! The photographs that covered the walls also fascinated me. They were a visual history of his life and adventures. There were photos of him as a very young sailor and up to the present day.

"What do you think of my home, Iona?" he asked.

"It's wonderful. Everything is so incredible; I don't know what to look at first!" I exclaimed.

He turned to Aunt Kayla with a confused look on his face, "This doesn't seem to be the young woman you described to me, Kayla!"

"She isn't," replied my Aunt. "You'd better sit down, Jacob; even you might be shocked by her story."

I sat down across from Aunt Kayla and Jacob. Aunt Kayla then went on to describe how I'd become Iona. I watched Jacob as she told him the whole story. He didn't show any emotions, just the occasional glance over at me.

When she finished, he looked at me and smiled. "And to think that I thought I had heard it all. My dear Iona, I know that you have been through a lot and still have a long way to go until you find peace, but I want you to know that you can count on this tired old man as your friend."

I broke out in a big smile while wiping tears out of my eyes and got up and hugged him. "Thanks," I replied.

"So, you really used to be in the Navy?" asked Jacob.

"Yes, I did one tour and then got out," I answered.

"Splendid! Now I have someone to share sea stories with!" he exclaimed.

Dinner was wonderful. I felt so relieved that Jacob was so understanding about my transformation. After dinner, we moved to his deck for dessert. Jacob poured us each a brandy. He said that he liked to share the "good stuff" with friends.

"Oh, Jacob, this is magnificent!" stated Aunt Kayla, after she took her first sip of the brandy.

"It should be! It's even older than I am!" he answered with a slight chuckle. "So, Iona, what are your plans for the summer?"

"We were discussing that earlier. I am enrolling at San Diego State in the fall, but I haven't made any plans yet for the next few months," I replied. I sipped the brandy, and it was wonderful! I felt its warmth flow through my body.

"I have a friend who owns a few restaurants down in Pacific Beach, and he always could use another pretty young woman to work for him," he stated. "I know you can do much more, but it might be good for you."

"You know, Iona, that isn't a bad idea. You do need to learn how to interact as a woman," added Aunt Kayla. "Being a waitress or barmaid would give you lots of opportunities to interact with others."

I thought about it for a moment. They were right; I did have a lot to learn about being a woman. I knew Pacific Beach or, as we locals called it, PB, pretty well. "You're both right. I just don't know about working in PB. I used to go there a lot as Roger. I'm not sure I want to subject myself to what I saw those girls go through!"

"I'm sure you were a perfect angel!" said Aunt Kayla with a sarcastic tone.

I smiled. "Not by a long shot. I guess I could look at this as my penance for my past crimes against humanity!"

"Or at least crimes against barmaids!" joked Jacob. "So, I'll call my friend tomorrow. He owes me a few favors."

"I have a question. How did the two of you meet?" I asked Jacob and Aunt Kayla.

Jacob and Aunt Kayla looked at each other; they gave the "you go first" to each other. Finally Aunt Kayla started to talk.

"We met through a mutual friend almost fifteen years ago," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Closer to sixteen years," added Jacob.

Aunt Kayla gave him a stern look. "Who's telling her the story?" she asked, and then broke out in a smile.

"Your aunt sure is touchy, isn't she?" whispered Jacob as he leaned over towards me.

I giggled in response.

"Anyway, as I was saying, I was introduced to Jacob right after I moved here. I only knew one person in San Diego; that was Marny, and she didn't live here year-round," said Aunt Kayla.

"Who is Marny?" I asked.

Aunt Kayla smiled. "One story at a time dear! Let's just say that she is an old and dear family friend."

"I don't mean to interrupt, but I spoke with her the other night and she would like to see you this Tuesday," stated Jacob.

"The usual place?" asked Aunt Kayla.

Jacob nodded.

"I suppose that you two are going to leave me in the dark about her!" I said.

"All in good time, my dear," smiled Jacob.

"Anyway, back to the story. Marny had met Jacob years ago when he was a ship's captain, and she felt that we would become great friends," explained Aunt Kayla.

"She was right! We became great friends almost immediately!" stated Jacob.

"So, will I get to meet her this Tuesday?" I asked.

"Absolutely, my dear," replied Jacob. "I told her you were staying with your aunt. Now that I know your complete story, I am positive that she will want to meet you!"

We talked for another hour before it was time to leave. I didn't get any more information out of either Jacob or Aunt Kayla about the mysterious Marny. They seemed to enjoy fending off my attempts to get further info out of them.

That night I did a search on the Internet. I found that Marny meant 'from the sea' in Scandinavian. The exact origin was most likely Norse, dating back to the time of the Vikings. I had some wild thoughts in my mind about Marny. I debated if her name had any significance. With Aunt Kayla's friends and family, I have learned to not take anything for granted. I drifted off to sleep thinking how interesting life was as Iona.


Chapter Twelve


As I woke up the next morning, I was again overwhelmed by my strong sexual urges. Instinctively my hand slipped down to my vagina, and I began to gently rub myself. I saw no need to fight the urges, and I smiled as the waves of pleasure flowed through my body. My other hand began to massage my nipples, which by now were very hard. I lost track of time as I pleasured myself, and was eventually rewarded with an incredible orgasm.

I slowly regained my composure while basking in the afterglow of my orgasm. This was fast becoming a morning ritual. My elevated sexual urges were hard enough to control during the day, but when I slept my urges built up so by the time I woke up I was extremely horny.

I guess I shouldn't complain. It really wasn't a bad way to wake up, and I had to admit that my female orgasms were superior to anything I had felt as a man. Still, it felt strange being led by my urges like a dog on a chain.

After my shower I dried off and inspected my body in the mirror. It was still a shock seeing the image of a beautiful young woman in the mirror and knowing that it was me. I brushed my long red hair and marveled at how soft it was. When I was naked, I couldn't keep my eyes off my breasts. They were truly magnificent; they were large, round, and firm, with large, highly sensitive nipples. The rest of my new body wasn't too shabby either. My whole body was fit and well... perfect!

Luckily, I was doing pretty well at dressing and makeup. I was finding my style and liked how I looked. I didn't use a lot of makeup during the day, but I knew that I would have to use more once I started working. I had mixed feelings about working in a club over in Pacific Beach. Oh, I agreed with Aunt Kayla and our neighbor, Jacob, that it would be good for me, as it would give me a chance to interact as a woman with a larger group of people. My biggest fear was dealing with the men.

As Roger, I had spent more than my fair share of evenings in the clubs and bars of Pacific Beach. There were many great restaurants and clubs there, and the crowds got a bit rowdy at times. There were lots of young college men and during the summer there was the surfer and beach crowd. Oh yes, to make it even more interesting, there would be lots of sailors and marines. I had been in the Navy and had seen firsthand how many of the girls working in the clubs were treated. In addition to their attention, I would be fighting to control my sexual urges.

There was one more thing to test my sexual control, and that would be all the beautiful women there too! I found that I was still attracted to women. However, I'd apparently inherited the original Iona's sexual attraction for men. I didn't have a say in this, and I found that I was now bi-sexual. It was as if I had always liked men. I also discovered that she'd liked women too. My desires for women felt different now. It was as if my old sexual desires as Roger had been rewritten by Iona's. That may sound strange, but that's the best way I can describe it. Being bi-sexual meant that I had more sexual stimuli to worry about than the average girl.

The other things on my mind included the upcoming meeting with Fiona. Aunt Kayla had told me that Fiona understood that I'd had no say in the body switch, but I was still uneasy about meeting her

I was also anxious to see if I got a response from my old family. I really missed them and was hoping for any contact, however small. Even a simple thank you would have been priceless.

I also was worried about all the people out there with an ax to grind with Iona. She had pissed a lot of people off, and there was always the outside chance that one would try to find her -- rather make that find me! I also had to deal with the long list of Iona's former lovers, many of whom wanted to see her again.

Then there was the magic issue. Aunt Kayla had told me that I had some powers, but we had no idea of what they were. She'd told me that she would help me discover my powers and teach me how to use them responsibly. I had the powers from the tattoo on my back that gave me the ability to know someone that I knew was near. I also had the invisible tattoo that protected me sexually, but also made me more aroused. Whoever had given Iona this tattoo had violated mystic rules. There was the added possibility of being on the receiving end of his or her anger. All in all, my life was very complicated!

I walked downstairs and found Aunt Kayla out in the garden drinking a cup of tea. She was reading some old book and was so engrossed in it that she didn't hear me coming.

"Oh, Iona! You startled me," she stated with a smile. "How are you this morning?"

"Just great. That brandy that Jacob gave us last night put me right to sleep," I answered.

"I can relate to that; it was quite potent."

"I'm waiting for the water to boil, would you like a fresh cup of tea?" I asked.

She looked at her cup. "That sounds great! Earl Grey, please," she answered as she handed me the cup.

"Coming right up," I replied. I walked into the kitchen and pulled out a couple of tea bags while the water worked up to a boil. I selected an English breakfast blend and put it in my mug. I felt Tully rub against my legs and I squatted down to pet her.

"How are you this fine morning?" I asked.

Tully just purred contentedly as I petted her. Bran, the more aloof cat, joined us and I petted both of them until the water came to a boil.

"Sorry, I need to pour the water," I explained as I stood up. Bran slipped away, as if there was something important in the next room. Tully stayed close, hoping for some more attention.

I put the mugs of tea on a tray, along with a blueberry muffin, and went out to join Aunt Kayla in the garden.

"Thank you, dear," Aunt Kayla thanked me, as I handed her the tea.

I smiled. "So what are you reading?"

"I am just catching up on my Celtic. Your tattoo has intrigued me, and I need to study up the language in order to better understand it," she explained.

"Let me know if you find any way of controlling it," I stated. I picked up the muffin and broke a piece off and ate it.

"So, are you still waking up aroused?" she asked.

"That is putting it mildly," I answered with a slight smile on my face.

She smiled back. "I suppose there could be worse side effects."

"True, I must admit that it does feel good," I replied truthfully.

Aunt Kayla looked at me. "This is just a suggestion, but I think you should get a vibrator."

I sat there in silence. I'd never thought that I would have a conversation like this one in my entire life!

"I can suggest a good one if you are interested," she explained.

"Okay. Well, this will be another new experience!" I replied. "I never thought I'd have a conversation about vibrators!"

Aunt Kayla smiled back. "Speaking of new experiences, Jacob called this morning and set up an interview for you. His friend told the manager that you would be there today. Here, I wrote down the details," she stated.

I took the note from Aunt Kayla. I recognized the name of the club. I had been to The Reef several times when I was Roger. It was a bar and restaurant located on Garnet Avenue, several blocks from the Pacific Ocean. During the evening there was live entertainment and the crowds got a bit rowdier. I searched my memories and tried to remember what the bargirls wore there. It took me a few moments to recall that the girls wore a short black skirt, black sleeveless top, and high heels. I wondered what I would look like in the outfit.

"So are you going to do it?" asked Aunt Kayla.

The sound of her voice snapped me out of my daydreaming. "I guess so," I answered. "Can I borrow the car this afternoon?"

"Sure. I do think that this is a good idea. It will be good for you to interact with others," she replied.

"It's not a bad place. I used to go there when I was Roger," I said softly, almost to myself.


Chapter Thirteen


My interview was a breeze. Actually, I think I was hired as soon as the manager saw my body. I wore a summer dress that showed off my curves, and he couldn't take his eyes off my body, especially my boobs! My emotions were mixed. Part of me was offended that I was hired because I was seen as a "hot piece of ass." On the other hand, it was interesting to see this from a woman's point of view. He asked me a bunch of questions while he stared at my breasts. I debated telling him that I used to be a man just to see his reaction!

The manager's name was Tom Martin and, despite his sexist behavior, I sort of liked him. He didn't mind that I only wanted to work part time. After the interview, he turned me over to his assistant manager. Her name was Karen, and she was a very pretty blonde.

As she showed me around the club, she told me about my duties. "So, Iona, have you ever worked in a place like this?" she asked.

As Roger I had tended bar for a campus bar, but I couldn't tell her that. "Sort of. My uncle has a place back east, and I helped out there a few times," I replied. Okay, I lied, but it made more sense than the truth!

"Well, that's a start. The job is pretty easy; the hardest part is dealing with the customers. During the day it's mostly the beach crowd. However, in the evening we can get pretty rowdy. A lot of college kids and also a lot of squids and jarheads," she explained.

I held in my laughter at her use of the less than flattering terms for sailors and marines. "Are they that bad?" I asked, in a rather innocent tone.

"Bad? No, not really, but they do get a bit wild at times," she answered with a smile. "They can be a lot of fun, especially on a date!" She then broke out in a laugh.

I smiled back. She continued the tour, and she told me about my uniform. It was as I remembered; a short black skirt and matching top and heels. Karen told me that there was a shop down the block that carried both the skirts and tops.

"So, tell me about yourself," she asked.

I told her that I was living with my aunt and that I was starting college in the fall. Basically it was the truth.

"Iona? That is a very pretty name. I don't think I've ever known anyone by that name," she said.

"It's Scots. It's the name of an island."

"That's cool. Well, I think you'll do. I'm a pretty good judge of character, and I have a feeling that you'll fit in with the rest of the lunatics that work here," she replied with a laugh. "And don't worry about Tom. He's harmless!"

I also had a good feeling about her and the job, and I was told that my training would start in two days. I said good-bye and headed off to do some shopping.

I was in a great mood as I walked down the street to the shop Karen mentioned. This amazed me, considering everything I had been through lately. However, overall things were going pretty well. I quickly finished my official shopping and soon had everything I needed for work. I decided to explore a few other clothing stores before heading home. I had passed many of these shops in my days as a man and I had always been curious about them. They always had the most interesting window displays, but there was no way that I would have gone into them as Roger.

I wasn't disappointed as I discovered they had some really great outfits. Okay, I admit that I now enjoy shopping for clothes! Maybe this was due to some residual from the original Iona or just that I am being honest with my feelings; either way, I was having a good time. I also made a quick stop at a music store and picked out a few CD's. I had previously owned most of them when I was Roger. I think my CD collection was the only material thing I missed from my previous life. Of course, I don't count family photographs or sentimental things in that group!

I was headed back to the car when I got the sensation from my tattoo. I looked around to see who it was, while at the same time trying to see if I could detect his or her identity.

The name came to me just a few seconds before I saw him. He was a friend from my days in the navy. Bill was a few years younger than me, and I had been his "sea-dad" or mentor when we served together on a cruiser. I had always liked him, and it took all my willpower not to talk to him.

He did, however, notice me and smiled at me as he walked by. I could feel his eyes on me as I walked past him. Without thinking, I looked back over my shoulder and saw that he was standing there looking at me. He had a great smile, and I smiled back. He replied with a wink! It was then that I felt a very new sensation. I felt an immediate attraction to him, and it went beyond just lust. This caused an immediate conflict of emotions. I'd accepted that I am physically female, but this was the first time that I'd felt attraction to a man. I don't count the time that I had sex with Iona/Roger, although it did bring new meaning to the phrase "go fuck yourself." This was different, and Bill's obvious interest in me was exciting.

I was a bit disappointed that he didn't follow me or ask me for my phone number. By the way, the answer is yes; I would have given it to him! I put aside my old male feelings and thought about Bill from a female's point of view. He was quite attractive. He was 6-1 and very athletic. He had light brown hair, blue eyes, and a killer smile. I giggled to myself as I walked towards the car. It was silly to hold onto feelings that better suited Roger. After all, I was a woman now, so why shouldn't I find a man attractive? Still it is hard to change feelings overnight, and besides I hadn't even been female for a month yet!

I told Aunt Kayla about my adventures over a pot of chai tea. She sat there and listened without saying a word as I told her everything. When I finished, I took a sip of my tea and waited for her response.

She sat there for a moment and then smiled and said, "So, would you consider these events to be positive or negative?"

"Is this my aunt or my therapist asking me?" I responded with a slight laugh. "I'd say overall it was positive."

"That's good. I'm pleased that you are willing to accept change. Your life is going to be difficult enough. You don't need to make it worse by fighting yourself," she explained.

"I do have conflicting feelings, but they seem to be slowly resolving themselves," I answered.

"Good. I've gotten some information on people who have had a similar experiences in body switching. Over time, their personality becomes more inline with their gender, as long as they don't actively fight it. You have a long life ahead of you, and it would be a shame to be in continual internal conflict," she stated.

"So, will it eventually feel like I have always been female?" I asked.

"That is a distinct possibility," answered Aunt Kayla. "But you will retain your core personality and your memories as Roger."

I thought about it for a second. "I can live with that," I replied.

She smiled and nodded in approval. "By the way, we have an invitation for lunch tomorrow. My dear friend Marny has asked us to join her then."

"That sounds great. I'm extremely interested in meeting her, even though I know so little about her," I replied with a sly smile. I was hoping that my obvious hint would lead to some information about the mysterious Marny.

Aunt Kayla shook her head slowly. "I hope that you have a higher opinion of me than that lame attempt to get me to talk seems to indicate," she answered with a slight smirk on her face.

I shrugged my shoulders. "So, where and when do we meet her?"

"We'll meet her over at Shelter Island. She lives on a boat in the marina," explained Aunt Kayla. "Your curiosity will just have to wait. Marny is a wonderful person, and I would prefer that you meet first. Besides, what's life without a few secrets?"

I nodded and debated saying some smart-ass answer, but decided not to.


Chapter Fourteen


We arrived at the marina and Aunt Kayla pointed out the sailboat that Marny lived on. As we walked towards the boat, I saw a beautiful woman sitting on the bow. She was adjusting a line and looked up and waved as we approached. Her skin was a dark brown due to the years spent out on the water, yet it looked soft and wrinkle-free. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a long ponytail, which stretched down to the small of her back. When we got closer, her striking blue eyes mesmerized me. They looked like the color of the ocean on a sunny day.

"Hi Kayla, I'm so happy to see you!" she exclaimed. "This must be Iona. I am very pleased to meet you."

In a fluid motion, she leapt to the pier to greet us. Kayla and Marny hugged and then she repeated the act with me.

"It is wonderful to see you, Marny. I've missed our conversations," replied Aunt Kayla.

"I have been looking forward to meeting you, Marny," I stated.

"Likewise, my dear. We both have some interesting tales to trade," she said with a smile.

We boarded the sailboat and Marny made preparations to get underway. "It is just such a gorgeous day; I thought we'd go up the coast and eat lunch off La Jolla. Make yourselves comfortable," explained Marny.

"That sounds lovely," answered Aunt Kayla.

I was wearing my bathing suit under my shirt and shorts. I felt a bit self-conscious as I took off my outer clothes. This was the first time I had been out in public as Iona in a bathing suit. It was a bikini, and I felt it was a bit too small, but the salesgirl in PB had told me that it was perfect. She said that with my body it would be a shame not to show it off. I did put on lots of sunscreen.

My tattoo was just above the back of my bikini bottom. The best description of the color of the tattoo was periwinkle. The writing looked as if had been done with a fine tipped pen. The lines were so smooth and just flowed so naturally.

I had gone sailing a few times as Roger, and I was totally awed by the speed with which Marny got the boat underway. She moved so smoothly around the boat -- as if she was part of the sailboat itself.

Within minutes we were pulling out of the harbor and heading out of the bay. As we sailed out the bay, we passed one of the channel buoys. There were several sea lions crowded onto it. They were basking in the sun and seemed to be asleep. Suddenly, they all woke up. Their attention seemed to be focused on our boat, and they dove into the water. They quickly surrounded our boat and escorted us out to the Pacific Ocean.

I looked over at Aunt Kayla and she smiled at me. We lost our escort as we passed Point Loma and headed north up the coast towards La Jolla.

"Would you like to steer for a while, Iona?" asked Marny.

"It's been a while since I've done this, but I'll give it a shot," I answered.

After a few minutes, Marny smiled and said, "I see that you've had some experience in sailing. Did you sail much when you were in the navy?"

"A little," I replied, as I concentrated on holding my course. I looked over at her and smiled back. "I guess that Aunt Kayla has told you everything."

"Not everything. I'm looking forward to hearing your story," she answered. "Please, tell me all about it."

"Okay, but then it's your turn," I stated with a smile.

"Deal!" replied Marny.

I told her all about my life as Roger and the body switch and my experiences as Iona.

"I can't wait to hear about your job adventures. Especially since you will have a unique viewpoint, having seen it from both sides," she said. "Steer to port, there is a nice anchorage near those cliffs."

I did as she ordered, and within a few minutes we were anchored and enjoying a wonderful picnic lunch.

"I think the strangest thing about my adjustment is that it has been so smooth. Although I see some potential bumps coming up," I explained.

"Just remember that you have friends and family to fall back on for support," stated Marny.

"I know. I appreciate your understanding."

"Well, I have had a rather unique upbringing myself. I don't suppose you want to hear about it," she asked.

"I would love to hear about it," I replied eagerly.

"I've heard this story before, so, if you don't mind, I'm going to lay out in the sun while you two chat," said Aunt Kayla.

I suspected that she just wanted to give us some time alone

"Where to start?" mused Marny. "To start off, I am half human."

I sat there taking in her words. I tried not to look like I was stunned or shocked. In my short life as Iona, I had been exposed to things I had only thought existed in stories. I was quickly learning that there were many surprises out in the world, and that I should not dismiss things out of hand based on my previous experiences.

"My mother lived on an island off the coast of Maine. One day, she met a handsome stranger and they had a whirlwind romance. It turned out he was from an aquatic race of ancient beings. He told her this before they made love; I don't want you to believe those myths of them ravaging maidens!" stated Marny with a laugh.

I didn't say a thing and just sat there hanging on every word.

"My mother willingly became his mate and wife. They are still lovers, and he tries to split his life between the land and the sea. He's a loving father, and I have learned much from him. I also inherited some of his powers. As you may have noticed, I have a relationship with sea mammals. I can communicate with them," she explained.

"Is that why you became an oceanographer?" I asked.

"Yes, it was a perfect mix. I love the ocean. I can also stay underwater for a longer period than a normal human. I can't breathe underwater, but I can hold my breath for a very long time," she explained.

"I've learned that "normal" is a relative term," I quipped.

She smiled. "I guess you're right. It does make life more interesting."

I laughed. "Life definitely has become more interesting. I have been given an opportunity to see life from a totally different viewpoint. Additionally, I am seeing a world that I never thought existed."

"Just be careful who you tell about your unique status. The hardest thing you will experience is the inability to be totally honest," explained Marny. "I've been in several relationships with people who had no idea of the true me. It was very frustrating at times that I couldn't be totally honest. Part of that was my fault for not totally trusting them. You will have special problems, and you will want to talk about them, especially with someone you love, and you may not be able to tell them."

I sat there letting her words sink in. She had brought up many new things that I had never even considered. How would someone react if I told them the truth? Would they freak out? Or, even worse, might they think I was mentally unstable? That would be bad enough with a total stranger or casual friend, but with a lover? It could be devastating!

"I appreciate your advice, Marny," I answered. "I hope that we can talk like this often."

"Sure thing, Iona," said Marny with a smile. "Think of me as your older sister!"

We both laughed, but I considered her offer to be genuine. It would be nice to have someone else I could trust to talk to.

"So, have you told someone you loved about your past?" I asked.

Marny paused and seemed to be recalling a memory of a person dear to her. "Yes, once," she said softly. "He didn't believe me at first, but that changed after he met my parents."

I waited for her to continue.

"We were due to get married, but unfortunately he was killed in the war," Marny lamented. Her face showed a sense of sadness.

"The war?" I responded. Marny looked like she was in her early thirties. That would have meant that he would have to have been killed recently.

"His ship was torpedoed off Greenland in 1942," answered Marny. "I forgot to tell you that I age a bit slower than normal humans, another gift from my father. My mother also gained this gift and is approaching 155 years old."

I sat in stunned silence for a while. "My eyes are truly being opened up to an entirely new world."

Marny smiled. "Honey, you have no idea of what is out there!"

The rest of the afternoon passed by way too fast. As Aunt Kayla and I drove back to our home, I thought about Marny and how lucky I was to have her as a new friend.


Chapter Fifteen


A few days later, I was driving home from work. My feet were killing me, thanks to the high heels I had to wear at work. I was still a trainee; however, Karen had said that I would be on my own soon. I pulled into the driveway and walked into the house barefoot. It felt so good to be out of the heels!

I checked the mailbox and found it was filled with mail. I grabbed the stack of letters and walked into the house. I found Aunt Kayla on her computer. Tully was asleep on top of the monitor.

"Hi," I said, as I entered her office.

"How was work, dear?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Pretty good. My feet are killing me though!" I moaned as I sat down next to Aunt Kayla and began to rub my sore feet.

"Ah. Too bad all men don't get a chance to spend a night in high heels," replied Aunt Kayla. "Especially those who design clothes for women!"

"Some do!" I quipped with a smile. I began to sort the mail.

She laughed. "By the way, Fiona called. She will be getting in late Sunday evening. She was delayed by a trial."

"Trial?" I said.

"Fiona works as a prosecutor for trials involving misuse of magical powers," explained Aunt Kayla.

"You mean there are courts and lawyers for things like that?" I asked.

"Absolutely. The case she is working on is very interesting," stated Aunt Kayla.

"What is it about?" I asked.

"A woman used her powers in an immoral and unethical manner. She is accused of illegally transforming dozens of men and women to benefit herself and her university," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Her university? In what sort of manner?" I asked. I was halfway through the mail. Most were related to Aunt Kayla's job.

Aunt Kayla continued. "She used a transference spell. It made the female athletes better, and it transformed the men into women. Then she changed their memories to hide the truth."

"What school?" I asked.

"Chamberlain," said Aunt Kayla.

"Wow! I thought something was funny about how they dominated in the women's basketball championships the last two years," I exclaimed. "So, what will happen to her if she is found guilty?"

"Most likely a total loss of powers. Her human co-conspirator is also charged and will also receive an appropriate harsh punishment," replied Aunt Kayla.

"Just loss of powers?" I asked. "That seems like a light punishment."

"For someone born with powers, it will be a very severe punishment. It's like one of your senses. Imagine losing your sight or hearing," stated Aunt Kayla.

"What about the victims?" I asked

"Unfortunately, the spells cast cannot be undone. That alone should result in a severe punishment for both of the accused," said Aunt Kayla angrily.

I then saw the next letter in the pile. I stared at the return address and was unable to speak as I was overcome with emotions.

"Are you alright, dear?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I composed myself and held up the letter with trembling hands. The return address was from my family -- make that Roger's family.

"Do you want me to open it?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I shook my head. "Thanks, but I think I'd better do this myself."

I opened the envelope carefully. I didn't want to risk tearing the letter inside. I took out the letter and unfolded it and read it.

It was from my sister, Jenny. She told me how much my letter was appreciated by everyone. She said that, while Roger's death had been a terrible shock to the family, it was reassuring to know that he'd died a hero. I had to put down the letter for a moment to wipe away my tears.

I continued with the letter. Jenny told me that she would be out in San Diego in a week to close out Roger's apartment and wrap up some legal details. She wrote that she would love to get together with me. She included her cell phone number and e-mail address.

I handed the letter to Aunt Kayla and absorbed what she had written. In some ways, I wished she wasn't coming out here. It would open up some emotional wounds. But then again it would allow some closure.

Aunt Kayla handed the letter back. "This is a very nice letter. Your sister sounds like a wonderful person."

"She is," I said, and I started crying again. Aunt Kayla took me into her arms and held me tight.

"Sorry," I apologized. I wiped my eyes. "I guess I still have a way to go before I am over this."

"I would be worried if you didn't get emotional," Aunt Kayla replied, smiling.

"I hope I can control my emotions when I see her again," I sighed.

"You'll do fine. Don't worry about your emotions," comforted Aunt Kayla.

"But what will I do if she suspects the truth?" I asked.

"We will worry about that if it happens. Remember that most people don't suspect that there is real magic in the world. So they ignore the obvious and go against their instincts and accept the norms that society has established. You are starting to see that for yourself," she said.

"That's true," I replied. I thought about what lay ahead of me. There was my job, meeting Iona's mother, and now the reunion with my sister! "This next week is going to be very interesting!"

I spent the evening composing an e-mail response to Jenny, telling her how much I was looking forward to meeting her. I was careful not to give anything away, and I even had Aunt Kayla review it before I sent it.


Chapter Sixteen


Saturday evening I worked my first real solo shift at The Reef. To say I was nervous would be a major understatement. I looked at myself in the mirror. My outfit really showed off my shapely body; so much so that I suddenly felt very self-conscious. The top was a bit low and it showed off my cleavage. I was also worried about my nipples showing through my bra and top. I debated about what I would do the first time someone slipped some money down between my boobs.

I also thought that the skirt was too short, but Karen told me that Tom insisted on the length. I adjusted my nametag and looked down at my name. It was still strange referring to myself as Iona. I mean, I was getting more and more used to it, but it was a bit strange.

I started my shift at seven PM, which was mostly a dinner crowd. People were coming in from the beach and were, for the most part, pretty nice. The band began to set up around 9:30 and was ready to go around 10:00. They were a local alternative band that had been playing the area for years. They weren't bad, and Karen said that they always filled the house.

Most of the night was a blur as I was very busy. I was assigned a part of the club and, for the most part, my customers were pretty cool. I got hit on a few times, but it was all good-natured fun. The problem started with a group of college kids. There were five of them, all guys, and they all thought they were God's gift to women. They were also all a bit drunk.

The leader of the group, I'll just call him Chad, kept trying to grab my ass as I took their order. I asked him nicely to stop and that just made it worse. They immediately made rude comments about me and joked that I was just playing hard to get. One asked me straight up if I wanted to go back to their apartment and have sex with all five!

For the first time, I really understood what assholes some men could be. I also felt a sense of vulnerability and fear. I tried to smile and ignore them, but they wouldn't give up. I looked over at Karen and gave her a wave to get some help over in my area. Chad reached up my skirt again and tried to grab my panties; I jumped back and dropped my tray, causing them all to laugh.

A guy at the next table then stepped in and told them to knock it off and act civilized. My rescuer was tall and very muscular. He had very short brown hair and looked like he was in the navy, as his hair was too long for a marine. I later found out his name was Paul.

Chad stood up and motioned for his friends to do the same. They did, and then Paul's friends stood up, and it looked like we would have a real problem, although Paul's group looked like they could mop the floor with Chad's group. I could see Karen getting our security to come over and get between the two groups and rescue little old me.

Chad looked at Paul and seemed ready to back down. Paul told him to apologize to me. It was then that I suddenly pictured Chad telling Paul to "Suck my dick, squid!" It was as if I wanted Chad to do something stupid so he would get the crap beat out of him! To my total surprise, and Chad's too, that's exactly what he did! He said it so loud that everyone in the area heard it.

The only thing that saved Chad from being pummeled was the arrival of our bouncers, who escorted Chad and his buddies out of the club. There was a round of applause as they were led out to the street. I explained to Tom that Paul and his friends had done nothing wrong and they were allowed to stay. I later found out that they were all navy divers. Tom bought them a round on the house. It was an exciting first night!

On my way home, I thought about what had happened. Was it all a coincidence? Or had I almost caused a bar fight? I knew that I would have to mention this to Aunt Kayla in the morning.

Aunt Kayla was still up when I got home, and I told her what had happened. She questioned me about my emotional state at the time of the incident.

"I guess it was between anger and fear," I answered. "I was really pissed off at the jerk and at the same time very frightened."

"Hmmm. Anger and fear are very strong emotions. They could have sparked some powers to cause the outburst. I'll ask Fiona about it. She'll know if Iona could do something like that," stated Aunt Kayla. "Was there anything else on your mind?"

"Yes. I felt frustrated that I couldn't protect myself. I felt the vulnerability of being female for the first time since I became Iona. I also felt vulnerable for being smaller than I had been as Roger and weaker physically," I stated angrily. "It was an unpleasant experience -- I didn't like it one bit, and I noticed I was becoming very emotional."

"I see. Your powers seem to have come out as a defense mechanism. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now," explained Aunt Kayla. "But in the meantime, just be careful when you get angry. You are still carrying around a lot of frustration due to the switch, and you will have to learn to resolve these conflicts."

"I will. I appreciate you staying up to listen to my problems," I replied softly.

"Iona, I will always be here for you. I know that you must think that our relationship has been one-sided, but that isn't true. I put aside having a family for my career and, in some ways, I see you as the daughter I never had. Your presence in this house has been a blessing."

I was momentarily stunned by this revelation. We soon were hugging and crying. It was a true Kodak moment!


Chapter Seventeen


Sunday arrived very quickly, and with each passing minute I became more nervous about Fiona's arrival. From what memories I could draw up, she and Iona had had a very rough relationship. I didn't like calling up Iona's personal memories, as it felt like I was doing something immoral. I was worried that Fiona might vent her anger at me for what Iona had done, or that she would be angry with me for occupying the body of her daughter. Either way, it wasn't very comforting.

Fiona's flight was due to arrive around 9:00 PM. I killed time by checking my e-mail. I still looked in on Iona's old account. The hate mail had died down, but there was the occasional request from an old lover. I didn't respond to any of them. I checked my new account and found a reply from Jenny. She told me that she would be out in San Diego later that week and would call me after she arrived. My conflicting emotions had a field day with that. Part of me was overjoyed to be seeing Jenny again, and the rest of me was scared.

Well, it's best to fight one battle at a time, I thought. Fiona might turn me into a frog or something, so it was a waste of time to worry about my meeting with Jenny. I tried to find some pleasant memory that Iona had of her mother, and I couldn't find one. It was really sad that Iona had no love for her mother.

I changed into a green floral pattern skirt and white blouse. I checked my makeup and hair. I wanted to look good for my first meeting with Fiona.

On the way to Lindbergh Field, Aunt Kayla tried to ease my feelings of dread.

"Honey, you have nothing to worry about. Fiona is a very reasonable person, and she doesn't blame you for what happened," she explained calmly.

"I hope so. It's just that Iona said and did some really rotten things to Fiona," I answered. "I also sense that Iona took great pleasure in hurting Fiona."

"Just remember that was Iona and not you," she replied.

"I'll try," I said with a slight laugh.

We pulled into the lot and walked to the baggage claim area. Fiona's flight had just landed. We waited for her to arrive. I could picture her when I closed my eyes. She was an attractive woman, a bit taller than me, but with the same looks. Like all the women in our family, she had dark red hair. Yes, I accepted that this was now my family!

I got a strong jolt from my tattoo, and I looked up to see her round the corner. She had a big smile on her face when she saw us. All the fear and trepidation melted away as she approached. We hugged as if we had known each other our whole lives. While I didn't see her as my "mother," I did sense a strong bond.

"Goodness, it is wonderful to see both of you!" exclaimed Fiona. Her voice had a distinctive New England accent.

I stood there smiling. "I'm so happy to finally meet you."

My friendly response seemed to catch Fiona off guard. She shook her head and smiled. "You're so different from the Iona I knew, my dear. Please take that as a compliment," said Fiona softly. "I am looking forward to getting to know you better."

Aunt Kayla gave me one of those "I told you so" looks. We then grabbed her bags and headed back to the house.

We settled in the garden and, as I brewed up a pot of tea, Fiona and Aunt Kayla caught up on old times. My mind was awash with various feelings and emotions, and I found it difficult to concentrate. There were so many questions that I wanted to ask her. I was snapped back to reality by the sound of the teakettle's whistle. I picked up the tray with the tea and walked out to the garden. I felt Tully brush by my legs as I sat down.

"Thank you, Iona," Aunt Kayla replied

"Yes, Iona, thank you very much. The tea smells wonderful," added Fiona.

I smiled and sat down next to them. Tully hopped up into my lap.

"I must admit that I almost didn't get on the flight, Iona. I have been fighting my emotions concerning you. Iona was far from perfect, and she caused me much pain, but she was still my only daughter," explained Fiona. "I guess there was a part of me that blamed you for her death."

I sat there in silence. Aunt Kayla took my hand for support.

"But, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. As soon as I saw you, I knew that my blame was misplaced. I am pleased to see that your personality is shining through. It would have been very easy for you to stick to the path Iona initially laid down," continued Fiona.

"I must admit that I have been worried about meeting you too," I confessed nervously.

Fiona laughed. "Why? Did you think I might cast a spell on you?"

"The idea crossed my mind a few times," I admitted with a smile.

"I know that you aren't my daughter, but I would like to become friends with you. I think it would be beneficial for both of us," she commented. "As bad as our relationship was, I still morn my Iona."

"I hope that we can become good friends," I replied, and I got up and moved close to hug her.

Fiona was right. She wasn't my mother, but we had a connection. I was learning how important family was in my life, and I would be a fool to push away a relationship with someone like Fiona.

The next day, the three of us talked about my budding powers and the special tattoo that was located above my vagina.

"From what you've told me about the incidents, it sounds like you're developing some interesting skills. Think of this as a sort of magical puberty. Your skills and powers are just developing, and it will take time to learn how to use them. You will be going through an awkward stage in your life," explained Fiona.

"Oh, so it won't be as smooth as it has been the past month," I replied in jest.

"Point taken. However, this will be different from anything you have ever experienced. Most of us are born with our powers intact. They are a part of us from birth, and we just accept them as we would any other sense. You will be gaining something that will eventually feel like any of your senses, but it will take time," stated Aunt Kayla.

"There have been cases of late development of powers, and I will put you in contact with some of these women, if you want," added Fiona.

I nodded. "That would be great. It's hard enough adapting to being a woman as it is."

"So what is the hardest part of being a woman for you?" asked Fiona.

I thought about it for a moment. "That's a hard question. The new sensations and emotions are quite interesting. Also my sexual attractions and feelings are a challenge. But I would have to say the change in status is the most difficult." I then described my experience of feeling vulnerable at work.

"You will adapt, my dear. By the way, may I see your tattoos?" asked Fiona

I nodded, and we went upstairs into my bedroom. I stripped down and Aunt Kayla closed the curtains for privacy.

I sat on the edge of the bed as Aunt Kayla and Fiona examined the tattoo above my vagina with a UV light.

"This is fine work. I must admit that whoever did this is an expert," Fiona commented. "And you feel that Iona got this of her own free will?"

"As far as I can tell," I answered.

Aunt Kayla explained what had happened when I tried to recall who did it.

Fiona had me stand up, and she used a candle to examine the tattoo on my back. "I recognize the artist who did this one. He lives up in Vermont near the Canadian border. He has a good reputation, and I doubt he did the other one," commented Fiona.

"Do you think he might know who did it?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"It's possible. Iona might have requested the tattoo on her back, as it would have helped her in her body-switching game. Then again, it might also be possible that Iona didn't know what she was getting into when she had this second one done," added Fiona. She turned to me and smiled. "You can get dressed, my dear."

As I dressed, I listened to Fiona's and Aunt Kayla's conversation.

"There is a similar tattoo that gives the person protection from unwanted pregnancy and disease, but it doesn't have the added increase in sexual urges. I doubt that Iona would have recognized the difference between the two; she was a poor student in the arts," Fiona remarked sadly.

"So you think that the tattoo artist might have switched to the illegal one? Why?" asked Aunt Kayla.

Fiona shrugged her shoulders. "She might have pissed him off. The artist might have wanted her as a sexual partner. One of Iona's friends or enemies might have influenced her decision to get it in the first place or paid off the artist to give it to her. There are a lot of possibilities. I could assign an investigator to look into it."

"That might be a good idea," nodded Aunt Kayla.

"I can provide you with a list of email addresses of people who Iona angered or was "friendly" with. That is, if you think it would help?" I suggested.

"That would be a good start," said Fiona.

"I must admit that it is a bit unnerving when I see all the baggage I inherited from Iona," I admitted.

"I hadn't thought of that. It must be very hard, my dear," Fiona replied compassionately.

"Hard is an understatement." I smiled as I finished dressing. "I do appreciate your concern."

We spent the rest of the day getting to know each other a bit better. Fiona had a very strong personality, and, combined with Iona's wild streak, I began to understand how they had drifted apart. Still, I liked her a lot. I did feel a bit guilty about feeling closer to Aunt Kayla than Fiona.

Overall, my first meeting with Fiona was great. Granted, we had a way to go until we became really close, but that was just a matter of time. I could only hope that my meeting with Jenny would be as smooth. My biggest fear was that she would detect the truth about me. Jenny could always tell when I tried to hide something from her.


Chapter Eighteen


I had been slowly getting used to my work schedule. I was only working three nights a week, since I really didn't need the money. The only reason I was working was to learn how to socialize as a woman. Just as Aunt Kayla had told me, I was slowly accepting my life as a woman. I still had conflicts, but I was taking them on instead of ignoring them. Still, it would be a long time until I totally accepted that I was now a 21-year-old woman named Iona.

I arrived home around 2:00 AM after working at the Reef. Thankfully, everything had been calm after the incident with Chad, the obnoxious college guy. I was fitting in pretty well with the rest of the people in the club. Karen and some of the other girls had invited me to go out clubbing with them some evening. To my own surprise, not only did I accept the invitation, but also I was actually looking forward to it!

I walked quietly through the house in my bare feet, having removed my heels as soon as I got off work. I didn't want to disturb anyone. I quietly walked by Fiona's room. We were gradually becoming good friends. In some ways, I think she saw me as what Iona could have been. I saw her as a connection to my new heritage.

As I walked up the stairs, I became aware that I was being watched. I looked up to see the glowing eyes of Tully.

"Did you wait up for me?" I whispered and reached down and scratched her behind the ear.

Tully greeted me with affection and followed me into my room. I was still too keyed up to go to sleep, so I logged onto my computer and checked my mail. Tully took her usual place on top of my monitor and quickly fell asleep.

There was another e-mail from Jenny. I still thought of her as my sister, even though she thought I was dead. It can get real confusing trying to put this all down on paper!

She only knew me as Iona, the woman her late brother had shielded in that horrible fatal accident. Still, she was looking forward to seeing me. She would be arriving in San Diego tomorrow. I glanced at the clock -- check that, make that today. She would be staying at a hotel on Shelter Island. That meant she would only be a few miles away! She wrote that she would call me when she got in, and we could make arrangements to meet and talk.

This was good news, although I still had some fear about seeing her again. There was also the guilt factor. I felt responsible for all the grief that I had caused our family.

I typed a quick reply. I knew that she would have her laptop with her; she never went anywhere without it. Then I surfed the net for a while. I was looking at sites on male to female transformations. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, but I was hoping that I would find something related to my present situation. Some were very strange fetish related sites, but then again I think you could look up anything on the web and find an associated fetish site! I found some pretty cool fiction sites and also cool chat rooms related to male to female transformations. There was one that was frequented by authors of transgendered fiction. I met some really nice people, and I found it interesting that they wrote about transformations. If they only knew about the world that I had been introduced to!

I related to many of the writers, as they were dealing with their own personal conflicts regarding gender. Of course, I didn't tell them the truth about myself; I passed myself off as a male to female transsexual, which wasn't that far from the truth! They suggested several websites and fiction sites to me. I found some of the fiction disturbingly close to my present situation. I finally felt sleepy enough to go to bed, and I shut down the computer for the night.

I got undressed and slipped into my pjs. I then noticed a small package on my bed. I sat down and read the card on the box. "Dear Iona, I hope this helps you for now. Love, Aunt Kayla."

I opened up the box and found a shiny sliver vibrator. I held it for several moments. I wasn't naive about sex toys, but I had never had the need to use one before. I'd had a girlfriend, named Caroline, who swore by hers and had tried to get me to use it on her during foreplay, but I had refused. Behavior like that caused her to break up with me. I guess it was a macho pride thing. I never could understand why she would want a toy when she had the real thing right there in front of her! I really was a jerk at times.

I turned it on and was surprised at how silent it was. I'd always thought they would make enough noise to wake the dead! I slipped it down to my vagina and began to slowly rub against it. I was instantly rewarded by a wonderful sensation. I felt myself getting moist as I began to slip it in a little bit at a time. It felt REALLY good! Damn, no wonder Caroline wanted me to use one on her. I soon found myself easing it in more and more. The pleasure I was receiving was unbelievable!

My nipples were very hard, and I gave them the attention they desired. I rubbed my nipples with my free hand while I used the "silver wand" on my vagina. Wand seemed like a good description, because it was working magic for me! I worked myself to an incredible orgasm, and I savored every second of it. That was the best orgasm that I had ever experienced in my life. I felt drained, and, for the first time since I had become Iona, I felt like I was completely in control of my sexual urges!

After washing up, I fell off into a very restful night's sleep. When I woke the next morning, I barely had the desire to pleasure myself again. However, I did say "barely." The wand was just as effective as it had been earlier.

After showering and dressing, I checked my mail again and found a reply from Jenny. She said she'd call me when she arrived that evening. I then went back to the fiction sites and looked through the long lists of stories. I was impressed by the huge variety of stories related to sexual transformation.

I then saw one that caught my eye. It was about sexual enslavement. Males were being transformed into women and then forced into sexual slavery. I had seen several stories like this, but this one was different. The women were given a special tattoo that increased their sexuality. The tattoo was also invisible to the naked eye. I read on and found a few more things similar to my situation. The story was set in Boston, and the tattoo was from an ancient Celtic book of spells. I clicked on the author's name and checked to see if he had included a bio and e-mail address. The author's pen name was Dugal and he'd left no e-mail address. He had written a few other stories about using, or misusing, magic to transform, control and hurt people who had angered him. I glanced at his other stories, and, like the first one, there was a sense of them being more than just fiction.

I printed out copies for Aunt Kayla and Fiona, and I highlighted the key sections of the tattoo story. I then went downstairs to show them my discovery. They were in the garden talking.

"Good morning, Iona," Fiona greeted me.

"Yes, good morning, dear," added Aunt Kayla.

I smiled back. "Good morning. By the way, thank you for the lovely and thoughtful gift."

Aunt Kayla just smiled.

"What do you have there?" asked Fiona.

I explained about my Internet ramblings and then showed them the story. They took the copies of the story and began to read them. I was hoping that they would just say that it was all a coincidence, but I began to see a troubled look on their faces.

"Fiona, do you see the name he used?" asked Aunt Kayla

"Yes, I do. Dugal! That arrogant bastard! I stripped his powers for doing things that he is now passing off as fiction," stated Fiona angrily.

"Who is Dugal?" I asked.

"Dugal isn't his real name. It means "A dark stranger," and that was the nickname of a man we both had the displeasure to know. His real name is Keir. I prosecuted him for misuse of powers. The courts stripped him of his powers," explained Fiona.

"He's a very handsome man and sees himself as a real lady's man. He is also a very egotistical bastard," interjected Aunt Kayla angrily. This was a new side to her that I had never seen before. Her eyes were so intense with anger. It both intrigued and frightened me.

"Keir ruined a lot of lives and hurt a lot of people. However, it was when he used his powers to seek revenge that he came to the attention of the courts. He would hurt women who resisted him or failed to please him," continued Fiona. "The victims all said that they had been seduced by a 'handsome, dark stranger'."

"How did he ruin their lives?" I asked.

"Various ways. He was very subtle about his use of magic. He would cause them to ruin their own lives; some of the women became addicts or alcoholics, and others became addicted to sex. He was caught when he tried to use a spell on another person of magic. The spell was detected, and he was investigated and prosecuted," explained Fiona. "During the investigation, it was discovered that he had also transformed some of the women's' boyfriends into women."

I gasped in horror. "Did they retain their memories of being men?"

Fiona nodded. "Yes, he deliberately cast the spells so they retained all their memories."

"He ruined a lot of innocent lives," added Aunt Kayla. She seethed as she recalled the crimes of Keir.

"We did what we could for the victims. They were eased off their addictions, and we tried to give them back their lives," Fiona related. "Unfortunately, nothing could be done for the transformed males. The transformation spell was too powerful to reverse. We did try to help them get their lives in order."

"Yes, but we couldn't help them all," added Aunt Kayla sadly.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I helped several with conventional therapy and some with a slight dose of magic. One woman was so hurt by Keir that she eventually committed suicide, after fighting depression for several years," said Aunt Kayla. "She had moved on with her life and was out of therapy when she had a relapse. She was too ashamed to seek more help and thought the only solution was to kill herself."

"How long ago did he do this?" I asked softly.

"I prosecuted him over ten years ago," stated Fiona.

"So he lost all his powers then?" I asked.

"Yes. But he was very intelligent, and a person doesn't need powers to correctly apply the tattoo that you have, Iona. The pain associated with your memory could also have been done without powers. It most likely was incorporated into the tattoo itself," explained Fiona.

"So, do you think he might have given Iona the tattoo as a way of getting back at you?" I asked Fiona.

"It's a possibility," said Fiona sadly. She then stood up. "Excuse me everyone, I need to place a phone call to the office."

Aunt Kayla and I sat there in silence as Fiona left.

"So, all that was done to him was stripping him of his powers?" I asked.

"The courts only cover matters of magic. They leave everything else to the human courts. When possible we help them by providing evidence of crimes. Unfortunately, Keir didn't break any human laws," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Did you clear it with the courts before you 'helped' the drunk driver give a full confession?" I asked.

"Yes, my dear, it was all legal," replied Aunt Kayla with a smile.

"So what happens now?" I asked.

"Fiona will contact her office, and they will begin an investigation. You may have to undergo an interview. If it turns out that he gave Iona the tattoo to get back at Fiona, he will be prosecuted."

"What can you do to him?" I asked.

"In special cases, the person's memories and personality can be changed. I imagine that Fiona's office will push for that kind of punishment," commented Aunt Kayla.

"So everything Iona did may have been because of Keir?" I asked.

"That's a possibility," said Aunt Kayla. "If it turns out that his actions caused Iona to be so reckless, then Roger's death would be another charge against him."

I suddenly felt the need for a hug, and Aunt Kayla was very accommodating. I think she needed one herself. I was a part of something much bigger than I had thought.

A few minutes later, Fiona came back. "I am afraid that I will have to cut my trip a bit short. The office wants to start a full investigation into Keir. They want my statement and all the info that you collected, Iona. Unfortunately, due to my personal connection to the case, I will not be allowed to run the investigation," Fiona replied regretfully.

"When will you be leaving?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"I will leave this afternoon. Can you give me a ride to the airport?" asked Fiona.

"I'd love to!" I exclaimed before Aunt Kayla could say a word.

Fiona turned and looked at me. "I'd like that a lot." Her eyes were welling with tears.

We hugged, and she held onto me for what seemed like hours.

I spent the rest of the morning searching for more stories by Dugal. I had to read each story to see if it had elements of magic and revenge in it. I was also amazed at how many authors of transgendered fiction there were! I found several other stories and downloaded them onto a disc for Fiona. I did a name check and found several Gaelic names that also meant "dark stranger." I found a number of similar stories by authors called Duglas, Doyle, and Dougal. Many of their stories involved revenge, and all were very dark. I didn't find any similar stories under the name Keir. Of course, this didn't mean that Keir was writing under all these names, but the styles of the stories I downloaded were all very similar.

As I looked for information, I thought about the possibility that my switch with Iona was the result of revenge by a person I've never met. I felt a bit uneasy about this man Keir, but I felt safe with Aunt Kayla. I also knew that Fiona would protect me. I also began to regret the bad things I had thought of Iona. She too had been a victim.


Chapter Nineteen


On the way to Lindbergh Field, Fiona told me that she would keep me informed on the progress of the investigation.

"Will you be okay?" I asked.

Fiona looked at me and laughed. "I was about to ask you the same thing. Yes, my dear, I will be fine. If it's true that Keir put the tattoo on Iona, then her behavior for the past few years can be explained."

"Why did the tattoo have a greater effect on her? I mean, it gives me a higher sexual urge, but otherwise I am okay," I asked.

"It is hard to say. Magic has a different effect on humans than on those born with powers. I have the photos that Kayla took, and I will have them analyzed. I fully expect that there are hidden spells built into the tattoo. They may have been tailored especially for Iona," explained Fiona. "I will also contact a friend who may want to do a physical exam on you and the tattoo. I'll e-mail you the specifics."

"I guess it would be a good idea to find out if this thing has anymore surprises," I commented, referring to the tattoo.

"Do you think that the reason why Iona switched bodies was an attempt to free herself of the spell?" I asked.

"That's a possibility," replied Fiona.

I noticed the sadness in her voice, and I fumbled for something to say.

"Everything will be okay, Iona," remarked Fiona, obviously sensing my concern.

"Thanks. Well, I am happy we got to meet, even if was only for a few days." I added, "Would you mind if I came back east to visit you sometime? I mean, I know I am not your Iona, but...."

"You don't have to say it. Yes, I would love to have you come and visit. I have grown very fond of you, and you are always welcome in my home," she answered with a smile.

"Thanks!"

We pulled into the parking lot, and I walked in with Fiona. I was truly sad to see her leave, and when we hugged goodbye we both cried.

I had a few hours to kill, so I headed downtown to walk around and maybe do a little shopping. I wanted some time to myself to think about everything going on in my life.

I walked around the downtown area called the Gas Lamp District. There were plenty of great shops, and I worked my way into Horton Plaza. As I made my way up to the third level of the huge shopping area, I began to get a familiar tingle. Without even looking around, I knew who to look for. Aunt Kayla was right; I was getting more comfortable with this power. I began to scan for Bill. He was a friend of Roger's from our days in the Navy.

I then saw him walking towards me. Bill was wearing a sharp blue suit and he looked very handsome. He immediately looked my way and his eyes locked on me. Now I was wearing a short khaki skirt and a white sleeveless blouse, and, well, I thought that I looked pretty cute, and apparently so did Bill. As he got closer to me, he smiled at me, and I responded with my own smile. I was just about to pass him when he stopped beside me.

"Excuse me, but you look very familiar. Have we met before?" he asked.

Okay, as pick-up lines go, this was a lame attempt, but I let it slide.

"I was just thinking the same thing," I answered. My response wasn't much better.

He laughed. "Hi, my name is Bill."

"Pleased to meet you, Bill. My name is Iona."

I couldn't believe that I was flirting with a man that I had once served with at sea. Yet, it all felt so normal. I immediately felt a very strong attraction between the two of us.

"Iona... that is a beautiful name, it's Scottish isn't it?" he replied.

"Yes, it is Scots. It's the name of an island," I replied with a smile.

A man waving to him suddenly distracted his attention.

"Iona, I have to go. But I feel something between us. I know this sounds hokey, but I feel that I know you. Here is my card and telephone number. May I have your number in return?"

"Sure," I replied and I gave him my number. "You know, I feel like we've met before myself."

He took the card, looked at it, and then smiled as he placed it in his wallet. "I promise to call you!"

As I walked away, I felt as if I'd done something that was either very right or incredibly stupid.


Chapter Twenty


I told Aunt Kayla all about my meeting Bill downtown, and that we'd traded numbers. We talked as we walked down by the ocean.

"So, do you think it was a mistake? I mean, with everything going on in my life, do I really need some more complications?" I asked.

"Honey, time will tell if it was a smart thing to do. You went with your heart and sometimes you need to do that, even when it may not be the logical thing to do."

"Bill's a nice guy. In fact, he was kidded by others on the ship for being too nice," I explained.

"Sometimes fate works in strange ways," commented Aunt Kayla.

I laughed. "Sounds like a fortune cookie message."

"Seriously, you can't stop living your life because of potential problems. You are now a beautiful young woman with your whole life ahead of you. You cannot hold back just because you're worried that Keir might find and hurt you," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Good advice. There is something else I want to talk about with you."

"Go ahead, Iona," replied Aunt Kayla.

"I feel a bond with you that is very strong. It's as close as anything I felt with my original mother. I don't feel the same way about Fiona. I mean, I like her a lot, but more like a close friend, not like family. Does that make sense? I don't want to hurt her feelings."

"First off, I too feel a special bond with you, and I appreciate that you feel the same way," said Aunt Kayla. "Second, I wouldn't worry about Fiona. We've had some long talks about you and the original Iona. She accepts that her Iona is gone and that you are a different person. Likewise, she wants to become friends with you. By birth, you are still her daughter, and you carry the family heritage with you."

I nodded." I hadn't thought about that. My hands went instinctively to my tummy. "I wonder what it will be like to become a mother."

For the first time, it really hit me that I might become pregnant someday. You would have thought that this would have put me off; instead, I found it comforting and appealing.

Aunt Kayla put her arm around me. "I sense that the idea of becoming a mother doesn't bother you. Good! This is a big step in your acceptance of truly being female. Just one thing, I hope you put off any maternal urges until you finish college!"

"Please!" I exclaimed, and we both broke out in laughter.

We walked down to the end of the street and started back.

"One thing, if I do have a baby, will she have powers?" I asked.

Aunt Kayla nodded and smiled. "Yes, you are of the blood. Your daughter will inherit powers and develop her own. When that day arrives, you will get plenty of help and advice. Mystic children have their own little issues to deal with while they are being raised."

"I can hardly wait!" I joked.

We walked a bit further.

"I hope this isn't too personal, but...."

Aunt Kayla interrupted. "I know what you are going to ask. Why haven't I ever been married or had a child. I don't really know the answer. I love my career and life and the independence of it all. Still, sometimes I have felt a void. Maybe that is why I agreed to take you in."

"Speaking of that, how did Fiona convince Iona to come out here? I sensed that Iona wasn't all that happy about coming to live with you," I asked.

Aunt Kayla smiled. "No, Iona wasn't happy about coming here. Fiona threatened Iona with prosecution and possible loss of her powers, unless she showed up. Fiona did that as an act of last resort. I agreed, at first very reluctantly. But then I saw the opportunity, and the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a good idea. When the switch between you and Iona occurred, I knew that I had to help you and guide you. I didn't plan on liking you so much."

"Thank you. I love you too!" I exclaimed.

Just then my cell phone rang. It was Jenny, and she was calling to tell me that she was in her hotel. We agreed to meet the next morning for breakfast.

"Well, it looks like I will have my own family issues to handle tomorrow," I commented nervously.

"You'll do fine, my dear. Now, since you brought up the fortune cookie reference, what do you say to going out for some Chinese food?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Sounds great!" I exclaimed. "I know a great place downtown."


Chapter Twenty-One


The next morning I woke up and fumbled for the "silver wand." OK, it's a lame name; if you have a better name, feel free to let me know! The silver wand sprung to life with a soft comforting "whir" sound. I slowly worked around my vagina and back up to my nipples. While it was a distraction to be aroused so often, the reward for gratification was incredible. My orgasms were so wonderful that I could momentarily forget the dark side of the tattoo.

As I pleasured myself, I found my mind starting to focus on Bill. Oh my! I was fantasizing about a man! I fought the remnants of my masculine prejudice and thought about Bill as I worked the wand in and out of my very moist vagina. All right, I was getting ahead of myself, but men think about women when they masturbate, so what was wrong about a woman doing this? Besides it felt too good to be wrong!

I thought about his looks and being in his arms. I tried to imagine what it would be like to kiss him. As my fantasy got more heated, so did my sexual response. I finally worked myself up to the peak of orgasm and tried to hold it back, but, like water breaking through a dam, my feelings were too strong, and I was soon hit by wave after wave of pleasure! The climax was, as usual, tremendous! I stared at the ceiling for several minutes, until I had the strength to get up and shower.

I thought about my fantasy as I showered. I had never had even a single thought about men as Roger. I wasn't homophobic or anything, it just never interested me. Aunt Kayla was right, I needed to live the life I was living now and not get hung up on what was right or wrong for Roger. I paused for a second; that was the first time I had referred to my old life as if Roger was a different person than me. Maybe this was just part of the adjustment to accepting that I was now Iona.

I selected an outfit for the day. I picked out a denim skirt and a floral shirt. I wanted to look nice for my meeting with Jenny.

I was due to meet her at her hotel around eight, and then head out for breakfast. Aunt Kayla had suggested a place in Golden Hill called the Big Kitchen. It was a funky little place with great food. Additionally, they wouldn't care if we were in there a long time.

I drove down to Jenny's hotel and parked the car. I wanted to be sure to do nothing that might make her suspect the truth. I sat there for a moment, thinking about seeing my sister. I wanted to get my emotions in check before seeing her. This was one of the hardest things I'd ever done in my lives! I finally got my nerve up and got out of the car.

I walked into the hotel and found Jenny's room. I stood in front of the door a few moments before knocking. She answered the door, and we stared at each other for a second. I fought giving away my emotions as we greeted each other.

"Hi, I'm Iona."

"Well, I'm pleased to meet you in person! I'm Jenny," she answered. "Please come in. I'm almost ready."

I smiled internally. Jenny was ALWAYS running late.

"No problem. How was your flight?" I asked. I figured keeping the conversation to small talk would be relatively safe.

"It was okay, I guess. I really wasn't looking forward to coming out here. The only other times I had been out here were to see Roger," she stated softly.

I could detect the sense of loss she was feeling. Part of me wanted to shout out that Roger was still alive in order to ease her pain, but I knew that it would only confuse things.

"I understand. His loss must have been hard on your family."

"More than you'll ever know. I'm sorry. It's just that being out here brings back a lot of memories," she lamented. "I just want to tell you that your e-mails were very thoughtful."

"Thank you. So, what are you plans?" I asked, trying to shift the subject.

"Well, I need to finish closing out Roger's apartment. His friends have been there to start the work. I told them they could have his clothes and most of the furniture. I plan on going over to sort through the personal items. The rest I plan on giving away to his friends," she explained.

I nodded. At least my possessions were going to my friends and not to some dumpster.

"So, where is this place you are taking me to eat?" asked Jenny.

"It's across town. My aunt recommended it," I explained. "You want me to drive?"

"That sounds like a great idea," she replied.

We walked out to the car. I knew that she was dying to ask me some personal questions.

We headed over to Golden Hill. I selected a scenic route, instead of the more direct way.

"So, Iona, how did you meet my brother?" she asked.

That didn't take long, I thought! Leave it to Jenny to cut right to the chase.

"We were staying at the same hotel in Honolulu. I was there doing some sightseeing, and I met Roger by the pool. We started talking, and we just hit it off," I explained.

"I see. I was always under the impression that he was too busy on his trips to socialize," commented Jenny.

I sensed some slight hostility in her voice. I hoped that she didn't blame me for what had happened! I was suddenly hit with dread -- what if my family ended up hating me?

"That's what he said. We got to know each other over dinner each night. I think we both wanted company. I was originally with a group, but they wanted to party all the time, so I split from them. Roger was working late, and I think our conversations helped him relax after working all day," I continued.

Jenny absorbed what I had said.

"We found that we had a lot in common and that I was moving to San Diego. We just hit it off. By the way... Roger and I only talked," I added.

Jenny looked over at me and then smiled.

"That sounds like him," she sighed.

I breathed a big internal sigh of relief. Jenny seemed to be buying my story.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't be prying into his personal life. I also didn't mean anything about you two," she apologized.

"I understand. I take it you and Roger were close?" I asked.

She laughed. "Oh yes, we were close. That's why I was so surprised -- rather, make that shocked -- when I heard he was with a woman when he was killed. Normally he would have told me if he'd met someone."

She was right, I would have called her! I quickly came up with an answer. "Maybe, with the time difference, he was waiting until he got back to the mainland."

"That could be true," she replied.

Jenny was silent for a while. She seemed to be puzzled by something.

"I have another question. Why isn't your leg in a cast? The doctor said that your leg was shattered in the accident. I don't see any damage," she asked.

"My aunt has friends who are into new age healing methods," I said nervously. I know, it was a cheesy answer, but it was the best I could do.

"That's amazing. I can't even see any scars on your leg," she commented.

Thankfully, we arrived at The Big Kitchen and that distracted Jenny from her line of questioning for the moment.

We grabbed one of the booths and began to look through the menu. I was hoping that she wouldn't bring up my injuries again. We were served coffee and our orders were taken.

Jenny took a sip of her coffee and then stared at me. "I'm sorry about my interrogation, Iona. It's just that I can't believe that Roger is gone. I shouldn't be angry with you. That drunken bastard who hit the cab is the one I should be angry with. I'm just happy that he is locked away for life."

I was instantly relieved. "No need to apologize. My aunt told me that people handle grief in different ways."

"Your aunt sounds like a wise woman," added Jenny.

More than you'll ever know, I thought.

"If you have time, we'd love to have you over for dinner," I offered.

Jenny smiled. "That sounds nice."

Just then our food arrived. I had ordered a large fresh squeezed orange juice, eggs over-easy, bacon, and wheat toast. Jenny had ordered an omelet and juice. As I ate, I noticed that Jenny was staring at me again.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"I'm sorry. It's just that you ordered Roger's favorite breakfast. You even fix your coffee the same way, cream and lots of sugar," she explained.

I hadn't even thought about what I had ordered! What a stupid mistake!

"I know. Roger and I found that we had many things in common," I replied, fumbling for an answer. I wasn't sure Jenny fully believed me.

Jenny laughed. "I'm sorry. I guess being out here is causing me to overanalyze everything. Part of me still thinks that Roger is alive. I just don't sense that he is gone."

"I understand."

We talked about Roger for the next hour. I cannot even begin to describe how strange it is to hear someone else talk about you as if you were dead. I told her about the accident and how Roger had saved me. It hurt me to see Jenny cry, but I could tell that she really wanted to hear the story from me.

"Can I impose on you for one more thing?" she asked.

"Sure."

"Would you go with me to Roger's place this morning?" she asked.

I froze internally for a moment. The last place on earth I wanted to go was my old place. Way too many memories, even if most of my stuff was spread out among my friends.

"Okay," I answered. I never could say no to Jenny.

She smiled. "Good. I would feel better if someone else was there."

We left right after we paid the bill. I could have been at the place in less than ten minutes, but I couldn't do that. I listened to Jenny's directions as she struggled to use the map. She never could read a map!

We arrived at my old apartment. I almost parked in my old reserved spot, but I caught myself and parked in a visitor's spot.

Jenny led me up to the third floor, and we entered my old home. What I saw caught me off guard. It was a shock to see my home boxed up and partially packed away.

There were still two chairs and a table; the rest of the furniture was gone. There was a phone sitting on the table, along with my portable radio/CD player. Several boxes marked "Personal Belongings" sat next to the table. Next to the wall were several boxes of books and CD's.

"I have no idea of what do with all his books. They are mostly hardbacks, and I would hate to just throw them away," lamented Jenny.

I thought for a second. I'd had a rather extensive library of history books and the last thing I wanted was to see them go to waste. "Why not donate them to a school library or something like that?" I too, would have hated to see my collection thrown away.

"Good idea, Iona. Do you have any suggestions?" she asked.

"Let me call my aunt, she would know of a good place," I replied.

"The phone is still hooked up," noted Jenny, pointing to the phone.

As I called Aunt Kayla, I watched Jenny begin to sort through my personal belongings. I needed self-control so badly right now! I contacted Aunt Kayla and tried to conduct a normal sounding conversation.

"I'm over with Jenny at Roger's apartment. We were wondering if you knew a good place to donate several boxes of history books," I asked.

Aunt Kayla immediately detected my discomfort. "I know a place. Are you okay? I sense that you're very stressed."

"That's great. I'll let her know. We were worried that the books might have to be thrown out," I replied.

"Hang in there, honey. We'll talk when you get home."

"Good. So we should bring the books over to the house?" I asked.

"Sure, honey. I know a good charter school that could use them," she answered.

"Thanks. Goodbye," I said, hoping that the conversation sounded somewhat normal to Jenny.

"Be strong," she added.

"I will, bye," I could sense the strength she was sending me.

"So, does she know a good place to send the books?" asked Jenny.

"Yes, a charter school," I replied.

Jenny nodded in approval. She was sorting through a box of my papers and photographs. I watched as she put some in one box and the rest in a trash bag.

"I plan on shipping this stuff back to Ohio," explained Jenny, "I will go through it in detail back there."

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I asked.

Jenny looked up at me. "Sure, could you go through that box and sort it out? Put the official papers in one pile, and the photos and other personal papers in the other. I'll decide what is important."

"Okay, how 'bout some music?" I asked pointing to the CD player.

Jenny nodded. "Great idea! It's a bit too quiet in here."

I turned on the radio and went through several stations until we found one we both liked. The station was playing an Eagles song.

"So, do you like my generation's music?" asked Jenny.

I smiled. "Yes, but I like many kinds of music. I don't like rap or pop music."

"Interesting. After I go through Roger's CD collection, you can have any that I don't want," offered Jenny.

"You don't mind?" I smiled, as I sorted through the box.

She shook her head. "No, not at all. I think Roger would approve."

Most of the stuff in the box was paperwork, and it was pretty standard stuff, so I didn't get too emotional inside. I passed the stacks over to Jenny and started on the next box.

The second box was filled with more personal stuff. There were old letters and postcards from my family and friends. Additionally, there were little scraps of my old life -- old baseball ticket stubs, concert ticket stubs, cartoons that I had clipped out, and other things that had no value to anyone else in the world. Going through that stuff, without showing any emotion, was one of the most difficult things I have ever done.

Jenny looked over and smiled. "Roger sure saved the most ridiculous things. Save the letters and throw the rest of that stuff out."

"You want me to take some of this trash out to the dumpster?" I asked, pointing to several large bags of trash.

"Sure, that sounds good; I'd appreciate that. If I remember right, the dumpster is out back," commented Jenny.

I nodded and picked up the bags of trash and headed out. When I reached the dumpster, I quickly reached inside the bag for some of the items. I wanted some reminders of my previous life. I grabbed a few of the ticket stubs and a couple of old Farside cartoons. I reluctantly threw the rest of the stuff out, and then went and slipped my treasures in the trunk of the car. I hid them under the carpet that covered the spare tire. I knew we would be going into the trunk later to put the boxes of books in there.

When I came back up, I found Jenny crying. I hesitated on what to do at first, but then I walked over and put my hand on her shoulder.

"You okay?" I asked.

She looked up and nodded as she wiped her eyes. "Sorry, it just hit me again that he is REALLY gone," she cried.

Without a word, I leaned down and gave her a long hug, which she readily accepted. I could feel her tears dripping down on my back, and it was all I could do to not start crying.

"What do you say to a break?" I asked. "It's almost 4:00PM."

"Sounds good. I got through a lot today. Could you help me mail these boxes? We can also take the books out. That won't leave much to do tomorrow," suggested Jenny.

As we carried the boxes downstairs, Jenny asked me if I could help her again tomorrow. Of course, I said yes.

We "stumbled" on a package-shipping store as we left the apartment. I had used it many times as Roger, but I had to pretend to find it as Iona. We shipped the boxes and headed back to Jenny's hotel.

"Would you like to come over for dinner tonight?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Thanks, but can we do it tomorrow? I kind of want to be alone this evening,"

"Sure, no problem. What time do you want me to come by tomorrow?" I asked.

"Same time. I'd like to go back to that breakfast place again, if you don't mind," Jenny asked.

"Cool," I replied.

Back at the hotel, we hugged again and said good-bye. I was very proud of myself, as I was able to pull away from the hotel before I broke down crying.


Chapter Twenty-Two


Marny was sitting in the garden with Aunt Kayla when I came in. I was so happy to see both of them. After we unloaded the car, we returned to the garden. Aunt Kayla brewed up a pot of tea.

I talked about my day with Jenny and the various things that had happened. They let me talk without interruption for nearly an hour. It felt good to let out my feelings, along with a few tears -- make that a lot of tears! I finally finished and I sat there waiting for their responses.

"I think you handled that as well as can be expected," commented Marny.

Aunt Kayla nodded in agreement. "So you think she suspects something about you?"

"I don't know. As you told me, people's senses are hampered by the beliefs that society has given them. She may just slough it off as coincidence," I stated hopefully.

"Your sister sounds very perceptive," replied Marny.

"She is. She always knew when I was lying to her," I explained.

"How open-minded is she?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I looked at Aunt Kayla. "She is willing to accept new ideas. Why do you ask?"

"So, she might accept the idea that her brother is now a woman?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"You don't think I should tell her do you? I asked.

"No, but she might be willing to accept you," explained Aunt Kayla.

I thought about it for a few moments.

"Hopefully, we'll never know. Maybe it's best that she thinks that I am dead," I said softly. I was feeling slightly sorry for myself.

"Don't be so sure, my dear," stated Aunt Kayla.

That night I sorted through my old books. I fought the urge to take them all, but instead I removed a few of my favorites. They wouldn't be missed.

Tully joined me, and I took her into my lap and stroked her as I called up my e-mail. There was a message from Fiona. She said that the photos of my tattoo were being studied and that an investigator might be coming out to San Diego to examine it. I involuntarily ran my hand across the tattoo as I read the message. She also said how much she'd enjoyed our visit and that I was welcome anytime back in Maine.

I closed my eyes and thought of Maine with its rugged coastline and dark forests full of pine trees. I could almost smell the trees and hear the ocean. I felt very much at ease and very relaxed. Suddenly my problems didn't seem so bad. I lifted the sleepy Tully off my lap and changed for bed. I immediately fell into a deep sleep.


Chapter Twenty-Three


The next day Jenny and I were back in my old apartment sorting through what was left of my belongings.

"I've decided to drive back to Ohio. Roger's car is in pretty good shape, and he did leave it to me. Besides I've always wanted to drive cross-country," explained Jenny.

"You won't mind driving all by yourself?" I asked.

"No. Plus it will give me time to think," she smiled.

I was going through the remnants of my CD collection. I didn't get greedy, and I only selected a few of my old favorites.

"I'm still surprised at your taste in music, Iona. I wouldn't have thought you would like those CD's," Jenny commented.

"I was raised on classic rock," I replied.

Jenny nodded, but I didn't think she believed me.

"My aunt would love to have you over for dinner this evening," I said, hoping to change the subject.

"I'd like that. I'm interested in meeting your family," she smiled.

By mid-afternoon we had finished boxing up the remains of my previous life. The only things left were a few pieces of furniture. Jenny had talked to the manager, who said we could leave them. He was very nice to Jenny, even though I had never liked the man. He was always so rude whenever I asked him to fix something in the apartment.

After we mailed the last of the stuff, we drove over to my home. Jenny was silent most of the time. She seemed lost in thought.

I pulled the car into the driveway and was about to get out when Jenny stared at me very intently.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked.

She continued to stare at me in silence. Her behavior began to unnerve me a bit. Her eyes seemed to be searching for something, as if she was trying to see inside me.

"Please tell me the truth, you owe me that," she demanded. She was staring straight at me, as if she was trying to look deep into my soul.

I looked back at her. A feeling of fear began to fill my body.

"Are you Roger?" she asked.

I froze for a moment. I was unable to speak, and all I could do was to slowly nod as tears began to run down my face.


Chapter Twenty-Four


Jenny froze as she absorbed my response. She was fighting her own beliefs as she stared at me. I looked for some hint of how she was taking this revelation.

"How... is... this... possible?" she asked.

"Can we talk inside?" I responded softly. I was afraid that she would want to leave without giving me a chance to explain.

"No! Please tell me right here," she stated firmly.

I took a deep breath, and then I told her everything. I saw no reason to hold back the truth, although I left out the part about the tattoo and Keir. That revelation could wait for another day. Jenny never said a word or interrupted me once. I felt tears dripping down my face. After nearly thirty minutes, I finished and waited for her to respond. I was waiting for her to either start testing me, by asking me questions, or to totally freak out. I was also struggling to hold in my emotions. It seemed like forever until she responded.

"I knew it. I just knew that you weren't dead! I could sense it. When I first met you yesterday, I began to suspect something was going on," she exclaimed.

"I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you so many times yesterday," I replied softly. I was at a loss for words.

"Oh, no! Please don't be sorry. I am so happy that you aren't dead! There is just so much to absorb," exclaimed Jenny. She had a big smile on her face, and it made me immediately at ease.

She then leaned over and hugged me. I REALLY needed that, and I held on tight. We were both crying, but this time it was tears of joy.

After several minutes, we released our embrace and wiped our eyes.

"You want to come in now?" I asked.

"Yes, I do," she smiled.

As we walked in, I asked what had tipped her off.

"Just about everything you did reminded me of Roger. Don't get me wrong, you are very feminine; but so much of Roger shines through -- from what you ordered at breakfast to the way you drive. By the way, "little sister," you're still a reckless driver," noted Jenny with a slight laugh.

I smiled at the "little sister" crack. "What else? There had to be more things," I asked.

We stopped outside the front door.

Jenny smiled. "Well, yesterday, without looking in the boxes, you told your aunt that the books were history books. I saw how you hated to toss out those cartoons and ticket stubs, and your taste in music hasn't changed either. But mainly I could just sense that you were in there. Does that make sense?"

"Yes, I guess it does. I was afraid of this happening; I never could fool you. I just don't want to cause you any more pain," I apologized.

"Oh, Roger... err, I mean Iona, I am just happy that you are not gone forever," she said. "Although, I am upset that you have a much nicer body than I do!"

We both laughed and hugged some more. Then we walked in and found Aunt Kayla out in the garden. She knew as soon as she saw us that Jenny knew the truth.

"Aunt Kayla, this is my sister Jenny," I stated proudly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Jenny. Iona has told me so much about you," she welcomed her with a big smile on her face.

"I am happy to meet you too. From what my little sister says, you have been a great help in her adjustment," commented Jenny. She and Aunt Kayla immediately hugged.

I felt so happy to hear Jenny refer to me as her little sister!

We sat down and talked for the next several hours. No one really wanted to eat, although we shared a nice bottle of wine, with some cheese and crackers.

"Jenny, I must agree with Iona; I am a little surprised at how well you have accepted that Iona was once your brother," explained Aunt Kayla.

"I must admit that I am also surprised. I just knew that he wasn't dead. When we got the phone call from the police, I didn't sense that he was really dead," explained Jenny.

Aunt Kayla nodded. "Some siblings can be extremely close, and it is not uncommon for there to be a psychic bond between them. I am pleased that you are as open minded as your sister."

"I don't think that the rest of the family will be as accepting. Our parents are a bit old fashioned in their beliefs, and the same goes for our brother. Don't you agree, Iona?" asked Jenny.

I nodded. "It would be too much for them to take."

"Cheer up, at least you still have me," noted Jenny.

"You have no idea of how much that means to me," I replied with a big smile on my face.

"I think I do!" She then hugged me.

We talked the rest of the evening. I couldn't believe that I had my sister back in my life and that she was so accepting of me. This was the greatest gift I could ever receive! What had started off as one of the worst days in my life was turning into one of the best.


Chapter Twenty-Five


The next morning, I talked to Aunt Kayla about my decision not to tell Jenny about the tattoo and the potential problems with Keir.

"Do you think I did the right thing?" I asked.

"I think so. I assume that your reasoning for not telling Jenny is that you don't want her to worry about you," commented Aunt Kayla. "Hopefully, this whole issue may be resolved soon."

"Exactly. She has been great about everything so far, but there is a limit to what a person can accept in a short period of time," I added.

She nodded in agreement. "That is commendable, but eventually you may want to tell her all about it."

"I appreciate your advice," I replied.

We then hugged and I felt her love and support pouring into me.

Later that morning, Jenny and I were eating breakfast in The Big Kitchen. It felt so good to have her back in my life.

"So, when are you going back to Ohio?" I asked.

"I have to leave tomorrow. Unlike you, I have a job!" she said in a kidding manner.

"Well, I also have a job, and I will be starting college again in the fall," I stated proudly. "By the way, are you still driving back there?"

Jenny nodded. "Yes. I need time to think, even more than ever. You don't mind me taking your car?"

"It's yours now," I replied.

"So, tell me about your job," asked Jenny.

"I am a waitress/barmaid at a place called The Reef, over in Pacific Beach. I only work a few nights a week. Aunt Kayla felt it would help me adjust socially to being a woman," I explained.

Jenny began to laugh. "I wish I could see that! I'd love to see you as a waitress! How do you like it?"

"It's not so bad. The money is terrible, but I am not doing it for the money. I am learning how to deal with people as a woman."

"Just out of curiosity, how much money do you have?" she asked.

"A lot. The trust fund is pretty big; money isn't an issue. If you ever need money, let me know," I replied.

Jenny smiled. She sat there and ran her eyes over me. "You know something, little sister? You make a pretty nice girl. I don't just mean your looks, but also your style and personality. I am proud of the way you have handled this."

I fought back tears. "Thanks."

"Actually, it is kind of cool, as I always wanted a sister," commented Jenny.

"May I ask you a favor?" I asked.

"Sure, name it," she said as she sipped her coffee.

"I would love to have some of the family photos that you shipped back to Ohio."

"Of course! I should have thought of that myself. I'll send some to you, Iona."

"So, how is everyone doing, outside of adjusting to my death?" I asked.

Jenny smiled. "You know, not many people can say something like that. They are doing pretty well. In some ways, your death made everyone take a deep look at their own lives. Dad finally quit smoking, and Mom has decided to take a fulltime job this year as a high school science teacher. Pete is staying in the Navy. He was just promoted and is presently deployed to the Middle East."

"How are you doing?" I asked. I took a sip of my orange juice.

"I finally put some of my work out at a local gallery. So far I've sold a few pieces, and it has inspired me to do more."

"What about your love life?" I asked with a smile.

"My, we're a nosey little bitch!" joked Jenny. "Actually, I have been dating a bit. His name is David; he is a freelance photographer. Okay, your turn now!"

I laughed. "I haven't started dating yet, but there is someone interested in me, and I am interested in him too."

I talked about Bill and our two chance meetings.

"Just be careful, little sister! Bill? I don't remember ever meeting him," Jenny stated.

"No, you never met him." I replied. Jenny had met some of the crew of my ship, but that was before Bill reported on board.

"My turn for a question! What's it like to have magical powers?" asked Jenny.

I smiled. "I'm still learning. I have become used to the detection sensations I get from the tattoo on my back. It is starting to feel like any other sensation." I also told her about Chad and how I'd put words into his mouth.

"Wild!" exclaimed Jenny. "My sister's a witch!"

We both laughed. I don't think either of us wanted to leave, so we continued to eat and talk.

"By the way, I really like Kayla. I feel good knowing she is there to guide you," commented Jenny.

"I feel the same way. I can't imagine what it would have been like without her," I added.

I also told her about Fiona and our relationship. I didn't mention Jacob or Marny. I didn't want to push Jenny too far too fast.

"I'm just glad that you are not alone," stated Jenny thoughtfully.

I smiled back. "I have one more request."

"Shoot," replied Jenny

"Can we go back to our weekly phone calls?" I asked hopefully.

Jenny and I had called each other once a week, back when I was Roger.

Jenny smiled. "Absolutely! I've missed them too! The best time to call is during the week. On the weekends, the folks might be over."

I nodded. "Cool! Thanks for the heads up on Mom and Dad."

"So, Iona, what do you say to a day of shopping? Like I said, I've always wanted a sister!" asked Jenny.

"Sounds like a great idea!" I replied.


Chapter Twenty-Six


We had a great day together. It was so much fun to just hang out with her again.

Jenny seemed pleased with my selections. "I am very impressed with your fashion sense. That must have been something you got from the original Iona; as a guy, you dressed like a slob."

I pretended to be angry. "I resent that! I dressed for comfort. Actually, I developed this fashion sense on my own. Iona's taste was much more revealing and sexy."

"With that body, who can blame her? Iona, you're really beautiful," Jenny complimented me.

"Thanks," I blushed. I felt my face turning red.

"How cute!" smiled Jenny, referring to my blushing.

This caused us both to break out in laughter.

Jenny suggested several outfits for me, and I was very pleased with the way I looked in them. It was a great afternoon of re-establishing our bonds.

"Do you really have to leave tomorrow?" I asked. I really wanted her to stay a few days more.

"Yes, I do. I wish I could stay longer, but I can't," she replied. "But you are welcome to come back and visit me sometime."

"I don't know if that would be wise," I answered.

"Nonsense, trust me, Iona, no one else will know the truth," she commented. "We share something that the rest of the family is blind to. I doubt they will see through your façade as easily as I did."

"Okay, I would like to see the folks again someday."

We swung into another clothing shop. Jenny pointed to a dress that she thought would look perfect on me. The dress was slightly formal, very short, and a bit revealing, and I hesitated at first.

"Little sister, you have a lovely body, and if Bill ever calls you will want something nice to wear," she explained.

I smiled and shook my head. "You are really something! I still can't believe how unfazed you are by the new me."

"Here, try this on!" Jenny smiled, as she handed me the dress and pointed me towards the changing room. "I told you that I always wanted a little sister. Look, just because you are a hot chick now, doesn't mean that I don't care about you. If you are going to spend the rest of your life as a woman, you might as well have fun doing it."

"Once again, you are right." I laughed. "I'll be right out."

The dress fit perfectly, and I had to admit that I looked great in it. I walked out of the fitting room and stood before Jenny.

"It's so unfair! I wish I could look that good in a dress like that! Now we have to accessorize and get some matching shoes!" explained Jenny.

Jenny's comments made me laugh, as I had always considered her to be beautiful, and still do.

"Jenny, you are still prettier than I ever will be," I stated.

Later on that afternoon, we were driving back to my home. Aunt Kayla had insisted that Jenny stay for dinner. The rest of the evening felt so normal. It felt like Jenny and I had always been sisters.

The next morning, Jenny said good-bye as she drove my SUV back to Ohio. She promised to call each evening and when she arrived back in Ohio. I would miss her a lot, but it was reassuring to know that she would be in my life!


Chapter Twenty-Seven


After all the excitement of Fiona's and Jenny's visits, it was almost a relief to get back to work. I enjoyed my job, even if my feet hurt by the time I got off from work. I told Karen the edited version of Fiona's and Jenny's visits.

"You really call your mom by her first name?" asked Karen as we sorted silverware.

"I had a different sort of upbringing," I explained.

Karen shook her head in disbelief. "I just can't imagine doing that. I am glad that you got along with the sister of the guy who died in the accident. What was his name again? Randy?"

"His name was Roger," I answered.

"That's right. I remember hearing about that accident. I loved how they locked up that drunk who caused it," remarked Karen.

"Can we change the subject?" I asked.

"Oops! Sorry, Iona. I didn't mean anything by what I said," she apologized.

"No problem," I answered. "It's just that I'd rather not talk about the accident."

"So, tell me more about this guy, Bob," asked Karen.

I smiled; Karen wasn't very good with names. "His name is Bill. I've run into him twice, and we have exchanged phone numbers. But I haven't heard anything from him yet."

"Is he hot?" asked Karen.

I giggled. "Yes, yes he is!" I went on to describe him to Karen.

"Why can't I meet someone like that?" she asked with a sigh.

"You will," I replied.

Work was very busy that evening. Fortunately, the crowd was friendly. I got the usual amount of flirting, but nothing serious. I had a table of over-50-year-old surfers who were having their monthly party. Karen said I was lucky to get them, as they usually tipped really well!

I guess I was getting used to being a woman, as the constant staring at my boobs no longer bothered me -- well, it didn't bother me all that much. I felt the tingle from my tattoo and sensed that Bill was nearby. I was bringing another round to the surfers when I caught Karen waving to me out of the corner of my eye. I finished serving them their drinks and walked over to her. I began to scan the room for Bill.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I think Bob, I mean Bill, is here. And if it isn't him, he's mine!" said Karen, she was pointing over to a table of guys.

Sure enough, Bill was sitting with a bunch of guys. A few looked familiar, but I couldn't place them. Maybe they had been in the Navy too. Then I remembered that I had seen them in Horton Plaza the last time I ran into Bill.

"Is that him?" she asked.

"Yes, it is," I answered. I felt my heart beating faster.

"Shit! Figures, with my luck!" laughed Karen. "Okay, I'll let you have his table, but make sure that you steer some of his friends my way!"

"Thanks, Karen!" I walked over to his table. "I owe you one!"

"Hi, I'm Iona. Can I get you guys something to drink?" I asked them. Bill was sitting with his back to me.

Bill swung around as he heard me speak. He had a look of total surprise on his face.

"Iona! I didn't know you worked here!" he exclaimed with a shocked look on his face.

"I've only been here a few weeks," I said with a smile.

"I'm sorry I didn't call, I was out of town for a few days on business," he explained.

I instantly knew he was telling me the truth. I'm not sure if it was another power, or if I was just becoming more perceptive, but I was finding that I could tell instantly when someone was lying to me!

"No problem. I was busy with family and friends in town for a visit," I said with a smile. "So, before I get in trouble with the boss, what do you guys want?"

"Just a pitcher of beer and some nachos for now," ordered Bill. The other guys nodded in agreement.

"Any particular brand? Or should I surprise you?" I joked.

"Surprise me," said Bill, with a sly smile on his face.

I nodded and placed their order. I selected a local draft that I knew they'd like. I also felt myself getting wet from our flirting. Oh, this would be a very long night! But one I wouldn't miss for anything!

Bill and his friends were very cool. I did catch them checking me out, not as their waitress, but as a future date of their friend Bill. I didn't mind that one bit.

Just as Karen said, the surfers were great tippers! I floated between the rest of my tables and I felt Bill's eyes on me the whole time. I was hoping that he would finally just ask me out.

Bill and his group went through a few pitchers of beer and several plates of wings and nachos, but no one was getting drunk. They seemed to be focused on staying in control. I wondered what Bill did these days; obviously, he was no longer in the Navy. His hair was longer than regulations, and Bill had always been perfect in his military manner. I decided to make some small talk as I took their next order to see if I could get him to tell me.

"You guys need anything else?" I asked.

"No, we have to work tomorrow," said one of Bill's friends. "Could you get us the tab?"

"Sure. So what do you do?" I asked. This was easier than I expected. Were my powers responsible?

"We all work for the government," said Bill's friend in an overly serious tone.

"Well, that narrows it down a bit," I said with a laugh. "Which government?"

"We all work in the city DA's office," laughed Bill.

"So you're all lawyers?" I asked.

"Yes, but we still have our souls," quipped one of Bill's friends.

I thought back and remembered that Bill's father had been a lawyer and that Bill was planning to go to law school.

"Well, in that case, you are all welcome here!" I joked and they all laughed in response.

I excused myself and rang up their tab. So Bill was now a lawyer. That was pretty cool. Bill's announcement of his position did serve as a reminder that I was starting all over again in terms of a career. After all, now I was just a college freshman and part-time barmaid.

After they paid their tab, I watched them leave. Bill walked over towards me.

"Iona, it was great seeing you tonight. I was wondering if you were free tomorrow evening. I'd love to take you out to dinner, and then we could get to know each other a bit better."

Oh my! I was being asked out on my first date! I tried to stay calm and cool, but inside I was a big quivering mass of Jell-O! I also felt my sexual drive kicking in; the silver wand was going to get some extra use tonight!

"I'd love to go out with you tomorrow! What time?" I asked, in a calm tone.

"How does seven sound?" he suggested.

I nodded in agreement. "That sounds great. I live out near Sunset Cliffs. I can e-mail you the directions. Oh, can you give me an idea where we are going?"

He pretended to smack himself in the head! "Of course, you'll need to know how to dress, sorry! My bad! Why not one of the beachfront restaurants here in PB?"

Good, I didn't want our first date to be a big production. "I'd like that a lot."

"Great, I'll look for that e-mail. See you tomorrow, Iona," he stated with a smile.

I watched him walk away. I kept expecting him to turn around and look at me. Just before he walked out the front entrance with his friends, he did just that! He turned and looked over at me and smiled. I got goose pimples all over my body!

"I take it that it went well!" Karen said with a big grin.

I nodded vigorously. "Yep! We're going out tomorrow, and guess what! He works in the DA's office!"

"Hmmm. If he has any single friends, you'd better shoo them my way!" mused Karen

"Absolutely!" I laughed.

I thought about the huge step this was. I would be actively dating a man. That didn't bother me; it all felt normal. I just wanted to be sure that I could control myself sexually. I didn't want the kind of life that Iona had, one filled with sexual gratification, but nothing else.

The rest of the night was a blur. My mind was elsewhere thinking about Bill, our first date, and my life in general.

I got home around 2:00 AM and quietly entered the house. Tully and Bran met me at the door and both purred their welcome to me. I stooped down and greeted them. Bran was content with the greeting and disappeared into the dark. Tully followed me upstairs into my room. I logged onto the net and e-mailed Bill the directions to our house. Tully, of course, was lying on the monitor and was soon fast asleep.

I checked my mail and found a message from Fiona. She said that the investigation was fully underway and that my tattoo would have to be inspected. She said that she would call me and explain the process. In some ways, I was relieved that the tattoo would be inspected. I wanted to know everything about it and how it would affect my life.

Next, there was a message from Jenny. She was at the Grand Canyon, and she said it was fantastic. She said that she was leaving early in the morning, and she would drive until she got tired or until she saw something interesting. She then went on to tell me how excited she was to have me back in her life.

I wrote a response and told her about my date with Bill. It felt great to be able to share things with her. She was my sister again!

I began to think of Bill, and I knew that I had to address my urges! I stripped down and lay down on my bed. I took the wand out of the drawer of my nightstand and switched it on. I thought about Bill as I ran it over my aroused body. I closed my eyes and fantasized about being with him. I was instantly rewarded with some incredible sensations. My nipples were so hard and so sensitive. I ran the wand over them and I almost went through the roof! It felt so good. I returned the wand to my vagina and used my free hand to rub my nipples.

I found myself entering a new level of pleasure. Everything was so much more intense; it was as if my senses were turned up a notch. I couldn't wait anymore, and I quickly brought myself to a mind-blowing orgasm! It was the most intense one that I had ever experienced, and it took me several minutes to recover. I felt so weak afterwards, but so refreshed at the same time. I then heard a soft knock on my door.

"Iona, are you okay?" asked Aunt Kayla.

Oh, my God! I must have been very loud to wake Aunt Kayla. I hadn't thought of that! I fumbled for a robe and slipped it on. "Yes... yes, I'm fine. I'll be right there." I got up and stumbled to the door.

When I opened the door, the look on Aunt Kayla's face said it all. She had a knowing smile on her face. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and smile back.

"Sorry for waking you," I answered sheepishly. I couldn't get the stupid grin off my face.

"It's okay. You want to talk about it?" she asked.

"Sure." She followed me back into my room.

We sat on the edge of my disheveled bed. I told her about meeting Bill at The Reef, and how he had asked me out on a date. I told her that I had been feeling my sexual urges rising all night, and how I'd needed relief when I got home.

"I am worried a bit about controlling myself. I really like him, and I don't want this to be a one night stand," I remarked.

"You'll do fine, my dear. If you were just driven by lust, you would have had sex with many other partners by now. You've had plenty of opportunities to have casual sex with all the offers you've told me about from work. You are stronger than you suspect," commented Aunt Kayla.

I smiled. "Thanks. I'm sorry I woke you; I didn't think I was that loud."

"Loud?" laughed Aunt Kayla. "A jet engine is loud; you were on a new level of noise."

I immediately blushed. "It was so intense. It was like I had taken myself to level 11," I said, making a Spinal Tap reference.

Aunt Kayla laughed. "I imagine your developing powers may have had an unexpected contribution to your orgasm. They can act like amplifiers for the senses."

"I wish I knew what sort of powers I was developing," I remarked. "I don't want them to pop out at the wrong time." I then described the incident in the bar and asked Aunt Kayla if she thought it was just a coincidence.

"I'm not sure, but there is a way to find out. I talked with Fiona tonight. You know that she wants your tattoo inspected; well, the woman who is coming out to do that can also give you a complete physical. She will be able to determine what powers you are developing," explained Aunt Kayla. "I was going to tell you this later this morning, but since we are up it seemed like the right time."

"I don't mind. I think it's a great idea. So, when will she be out here?" I asked.

"She'll get here late tomorrow evening, and she will be here the following day. She will do her examination of you right here," replied Aunt Kayla.

I felt a sense of relief sweep through my body. It would be good to know about my body and my powers.

"Good! I am looking forward to it," I said honestly.

"So are you okay now?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Yes, thanks. I am going to wash up and go to bed." I yawned.

Aunt Kayla hugged me and kissed me on the forehead. "Goodnight, my dear."

"Good night, Aunt Kayla. I love you."

She smiled back. "I love you too, Iona."

I looked over at Tully and saw that she was still asleep! I cleaned up and slipped into bed. I had a great night's sleep that night!


Chapter Twenty-Eight


I was growing more nervous as the clock inched its way towards 7:00 PM. I'd dressed casually, but I still looked cute! I was wearing a long green skirt and a white and green floral-pattern top. I was also wearing sandals. I must have checked my appearance in the mirror a dozen times before Aunt Kayla told me to stop.

"You look great, dear," she commented. "Try to relax."

"Thanks, I'll try," I said as I examined myself one last time.

I tried to calm myself down. After all, this was just a date, no big deal! Yeah-right!

We both heard the sound of a car pulling into the driveway. I glanced out and saw Bill getting out of a silver convertible. He was wearing khaki pants and a Hawaiian shirt, perfect for the Pacific Beach.

He rang the doorbell. I looked over at Aunt Kayla, who nodded and motioned me to go to the door. I walked over and opened the door. Bill smiled as he saw me standing there.

"Hi," I said softly.

"Iona, you look beautiful!" he exclaimed.

I broke out in a smile. "Thanks. Would you like to come in?"

"Sure," he nodded.

I introduced him to Aunt Kayla and showed him around the house before we left for dinner. I could tell that Aunt Kayla liked him too!

Bill was a total gentleman. He opened the car door for me and then closed it after I got in. I was a bit surprised at how easily I accepted my role. I was worried that some of Roger would come up, but so far so good!

"Would you like the top up or down?" he asked.

"Down, please. It's so nice out."

Bill nodded in approval. I almost forgot that he would be checking me out, just like I was doing with him!

We made some small talk on the way over to Pacific Beach. I had to pretend that I knew nothing about his past. He told me that he had just been working for the DA for a few months since he passed the bar exam.

"So are you from San Diego originally?" I asked

"No. I grew up near Chicago. I was in the Navy and stayed out here after I got out," he answered. "What about you?"

"I grew up back east, in a small town on the coast of Maine," I replied. By now I knew Iona's history by heart.

"Nice. I've always wanted to go to Maine," he commented.

While we were stopped at a light, he glanced over at me several times.

"I am trying to think of where I know you from," he commented with a puzzled look on his face.

Oh, no! Here we go again, I thought!

"Even your name sounds familiar," he commented

I laughed. "I find that hard to believe; Iona Beddau isn't exactly a common name."

He began to laugh. "You're right."

We arrived in Pacific Beach and began the search for parking. Surprisingly, we found a parking spot almost immediately. Both of us seemed shocked by this stroke of good luck. Maybe it was an omen.

We walked around a bit before selecting a restaurant. It had outdoor seating, and it looked like we would be treated to a beautiful sunset.

We traded information as we talked over our drinks and appetizers. I found out that Bill was in the Naval Reserve as a JAG officer. I was glad that his legal skills wouldn't be wasted. I was about to give him grief about his hair being a bit too long, but it would have been out of character for Iona to know about such things.

"So, what is your major?" he asked.

"I'm thinking about engineering." I answered.

"Wow!" he exclaimed. "That's great! What type of engineering?"

"I was thinking of electrical or mechanical," I replied.

"Good for you," he smiled.

For some reason, I felt happy that he approved of my choices for study, even if I hadn't fully decided myself!

"So what's the Navy like?" I asked. I figured it would be safer to keep him on other topics than my past.

"I enjoyed it. I initially served on a cruiser as a weapons officer. However, I had the chance to work on my law degree and I jumped at the opportunity. They then let me slip out of active duty, so I took the job with the DA's office," he explained.

Then he froze as if he suddenly had the answer to the question that had been bothering him all evening.

"I just remembered where I know you from! You were with Roger Lyons when he was killed," he stated.

His statement caught me off guard and I stared back. It took me a second to recover and reply. "Yes, I was; but how do you know that?" I stammered.

"Roger and I served together in the Navy. I considered him one of my best friends. I was furious when I heard he was killed. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to work on the case. I read the report of the accident and that must be where I remember your name!"

"So, you knew Roger well?" I asked. I took a sip of my wine.

He nodded. "Oh, yes. I was a snot-nosed Ensign, and Roger helped me become an officer. I owe him a lot. We also had some wild times together."

I nodded. "I only knew him for a few days, but I liked him a lot." I told the story that I had originally told Jenny. I could also sense that he thought very highly of Roger and that made me feel good.

"I'm glad you have made such a fast recovery," he replied.

I told him the same story about new age medicine. Maybe I should have kept a fake cast around!

"I'm impressed. I would have thought it would have taken longer for the leg to heal," he commented. "So you knew Roger; it really is a small world."

I was kicking myself internally for going out with a guy who knew so much about my past. I hadn't thought that he would have known about the accident.

"Well, at least there won't be a trial," I remarked. "I was relieved when he pleaded guilty."

Bill nodded. "He didn't just plead guilty to the accident, but to enough federal and state charges to keep him locked up for the rest of his life."

"That's good," I nodded.

Bill sensed my uneasiness with the topic, and he must have thought I was upset because of the accident and not that I was worried he might see through my lies.

"I'm sorry, Iona. The last thing you want to talk about is that accident," he apologized. "So, tell me more about yourself."

I felt a great feeling of relief as we shifted topics. We found that we had a lot in common, but then again I already knew that. I felt more and more at ease with him as we talked. Still, I was careful to guard my secrets.

Dinner was delicious and the sunset was incredible. It wasn't clear enough for a green flash - a flash of green seen during some ocean sunsets, but it was still pretty spectacular.

"I used to love watching the sunsets when I was at sea," remarked Bill.

"Me too," I stated inadvertently. Shit!

"You spent time at sea?" he asked in a surprised tone.

"My family had a sailboat," I lied, making a quick recovery.

"Cool! So do you still sail?" he asked.

"Yes," I counted the time with Marny, so it wasn't a total lie.

"Maybe we can go sailing together sometime," he commented.

"That would be fun. By the way, I'm no expert."

"Don't worry about it, neither am I. The important thing is to have fun!" he laughed.

We left the restaurant and walked down the sidewalk that bordered the ocean. I offered no resistance as Bill put his arm around me. It felt very good, and I had slight tingles running through my body.

We walked around a bit, before stopping in a small coffee house where we had cappuccinos. I was fighting to control my sexual urges, but something felt different. I found myself falling for Bill. So, this is what love feels like when you are a woman! Yes, I wanted to have sex with him, but beyond that I wanted much more. I was determined to take it slow, so I wouldn't ruin this.

I was also trying to read Bill to see if he felt the same about me. I knew there was physical attraction, but beyond that I wasn't sure.

"I have to admit this has been the most enjoyable evening that I've had in a long time," confessed Bill. "I usually don't feel this way on the first date, but I must admit that I am falling in love with you, Iona Beddau."

Well, I guess I know the answer to my question!

I immediately felt my face turn warm as I blushed. "I feel the same way, Bill. I love you too."

So much for taking things slow!

Bill's eyes opened up wide when he heard my answer, and a big smile appeared on his face. He then reached over the table and took my hands in his. I could sense that he was being totally truthful. Again, I wondered if this was a new power.

"I was hoping that you felt the same way. By the way, you look very cute when you blush!" exclaimed Bill.

I giggled and felt my face turn even redder! My God! I was acting like a schoolgirl! I found myself wishing he would kiss me. I suddenly felt like we were in some romantic movie!

I guess Bill sensed my want, or need, or whatever it was, because he leaned over the table and gave me a very sweet kiss. I found myself trembling from excitement as our lips met.

We pulled apart and I looked at Bill. "Wow!"

He laughed softly and held onto my hands. I felt no conflict or apprehension. This felt so good and so right.

"I think I should take you home, my sweet," he remarked. "I know, I may seem a bit old fashioned, but I'd like this to be more that just a one time thing. Does that make sense?"

"I was hoping you'd say that!" I answered with a big smile on my face.

We kissed again. Maybe fate does exist after all!

He walked me up to the front door of my house and we kissed again. There was almost a full moon that night, and it added to what had been the most romantic night of my lives!

"So, would you like to go sailing this Saturday?" asked Bill

"I'd love to!" I answered eagerly.

"Great! I'll call you once I've set up the time," he replied.

"I can't wait," I exclaimed.

Just like on cue, we kissed again. I felt more tingles run through my body.

"Good night, Iona."

I watched him walk to his car, as I stood in the open doorway. He stopped and turned around and looked at me and smiled before getting into his car. I waved and closed the door. Life sure was getting interesting!


Chapter Twenty-Nine


I walked into the house, breathless and feeling like I was floating two feet off the ground. I actually checked to make sure that I wasn't. Well, since I became Iona, I have learned almost anything is possible!

The kitchen light was still on, and I could smell tea brewing. I was pleased to see Aunt Kayla was still up. I walked out to the garden and sat down next to her. She had a pot of tea ready and she poured me a mug.

I took the mug from her. "Thanks for staying up."

Aunt Kayla smiled. "I knew you'd want to talk."

I nodded. "True! I had a really great time."

Aunt Kayla smiled and sat back as I talked about my date.

"I know it's just a first date, and I should take it slowly, but it felt so good," I gushed. I took a sip from my mug. The tea was excellent.

"I am glad you kept it simple and that you only kissed," remarked Aunt Kayla.

"It was a struggle. My sexual urges were very high, but I was able to control them. I'm lucky that Bill is a gentleman," I replied.

Aunt Kayla smiled and poured me some more tea.

"I do have a question. Do you think I am influencing people with powers, or is it just a coincidence?" I asked. I then described the incidents of the past few days.

"I am not sure. You can ask the doctor when she examines you this afternoon," replied Aunt Kayla. "If it is a power, you will have to show great restraint in its use."

I sat there absorbing her words. As usual, Aunt Kayla was right. I hadn't thought a lot about the responsibility aspect of having powers.

"So, are you going out again with Bill?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you, he invited me to go sailing on Saturday," I smiled.

"That sounds like fun," said Aunt Kayla in agreement.

I told her about my accidental blurting out of my sailing experience, and how I'd recovered from it. I then told her about Bill's friendship with Roger and knowledge of the accident.

"Pretty stupid, huh?" I laughed.

Aunt Kayla smiled at me. "Whether it was smart or not doesn't matter now; it's water under the bridge. It sounds like Bill accepts you as Iona and doesn't have the suspicions that Jenny had about you. Roger and Bill were friends, but, from what you've told me, not best friends. The bonds are weaker than those between you and Jenny."

I nodded. "I guess you are right. I didn't sense him trying to figure me out."

"Why don't you go to bed? I'll clean up down here," suggested Aunt Kayla. "Besides, the floor will insulate the sound better."

I broke out laughing and was joined by Aunt Kayla. She was right; I would need some relief before I fell asleep. I hugged Aunt Kayla and went upstairs.

I decided to skip the silver wand, and instead I drew a hot bath and put some scented bath soaps in the tub. I lit a few candles and slowly slipped into the tub.

The hot water felt wonderful against my skin, and soon I was all the way in the tub. I thought about Bill and began to slowly stimulate my body. The pent-up arousal quickly released, and I felt my nipples hardening as I gently ran circles around them with my fingertips. A contented smile appeared on my face as I continued to pleasure myself. I closed my eyes and slipped into a growing state of bliss.

I submerged one hand to begin to rub my vagina and kept the other hand busy with my nipples. I imagined what it would feel like when Bill's hands were touching me. That sent a wave of pleasure through my body that caused me to momentarily arch my back and stretch out. I heard the water sloshing around, but I paid it no real attention.

I relaxed again and intensified my attention to my vagina. While I was hyper-aroused most of the time, I wasn't quick to reach orgasm. This made the final act a real joy and an unbelievable sensory pleasure. I had no comparison to a normal woman's orgasm, but mine had to be more intense due to the tattoo. I wasn't sure if it was because of my budding powers or because of my fixation with Bill, but my orgasms seemed to be getting more intense. I swear that I saw colors during the last one!

It took a bit longer without the silver wand, but I soon worked myself up to the point of orgasm. Too bad it wasn't waterproof! I felt the waves of pleasure building up and soon I was engulfed in pleasure. I felt my whole body quiver as I experienced wave after wave of joy.

When it was over, it took me a few minutes to regain enough strength to get out of the tub. I then discovered that the floor was wet. Luckily it wasn't too bad and I only needed two towels to dry it up. I found humor in the fact that I was on my hands and knees, totally naked, soaking up water that had spilled out of the tub due to my massive orgasm! I wondered how Bill would react when he saw how I respond to an orgasm.

I slipped into my pjs and went immediately to bed. Any messages in my e-mail could wait until the morning.


Chapter Thirty


I woke up feeling refreshed and very happy. Somehow the whole Keir, tattoo, and revenge thing didn't seem so threatening. I dressed and then checked my e-mail before going downstairs.

Jenny was slowly working her way back across the US. She was heading to Chicago to see some of our relatives. She wrote that I had to tell her EVERYTHING about my date with Bill. I smiled and typed out a response. It was pretty cool being sisters!

There was also a message from Fiona. She wanted to reassure me that the physical would be a positive experience. I appreciated her concern.

I saved the e-mail from Bill for last. He wanted to tell me how much fun he'd had on our date, and how much he was looking forward to Saturday. He said he would call me that evening. I couldn't wait!

I then took a quick look in Iona's original account. I went in periodically to dump mail. I also took down addresses that might be of interest to Fiona. The amount of threatening mail was slowly decreasing. I began to wonder what I should tell Bill about "my past," should we get more serious. Even though it wasn't me who'd had all those sexual partners, I had inherited the baggage of Iona's past. I hoped Aunt Kayla would have some good advice.

The only message that bothered me was one from a guy named Nick, who stated that he was coming to San Diego and wanted to get together with his favorite "slut." I cringed when I read that; I'd hated that word when I was a guy, and it was viler to me now. I searched Iona's memories. She had "dated" Nick a few times. He was unaware of her powers and just knew her as an oversexed woman. From Iona's memories, they'd had a pretty hot time together. Nick was into many aspects of kinky sex, and Iona more than accommodated his desires, no matter how bizarre. I began to hope more and more that Iona had had no control over her urges. I didn't want to think she did these things willingly.

I also wondered how Nick knew that I was here. I couldn't recall Iona ever telling him that she was moving here.

I debated writing a response, but decided not to. He might take my negative response as a part of a game. I also printed out a copy of the e-mail to show Aunt Kayla. I suddenly felt personally guilty for all of Iona's sexual adventures. It was weird that I was feeling guilt for actions that I didn't do!

As expected, I found Aunt Kayla out in the garden.

"Good morning!"

She turned and smiled. "Good morning, Iona."

I sat down and poured myself a cup of tea and took a muffin off the tray on the table. I began to slowly tear it apart.

"The doctor will be here at 2:00 PM. She called this morning and is very interested in meeting you," commented Aunt Kayla.

"Do you know her?" I asked.

"Yes, we've been friends for years. Her name is Amelia," explained Aunt Kayla. "Amelia is a real MD, but she has only been practicing magical medicine for ten years. However many people consider her to be the best. She comes from a family that has been in medicine since the Middle Ages."

"Wow! She can trace her heritage back that far?" I said in an amazed tone.

"Most of us can, my dear. For people with powers, it is very important to know your family history. Don't worry, I'll teach you all about our glorious family history," remarked Aunt Kayla.

"I'd appreciate that. I am grateful that I am accepted into the family." I had to admit that I was excited about the prospect of learning about my new family.

Aunt Kayla smiled. "You have so much to learn, my dear."

I nodded in agreement. "So, tell me more about 'my' doctor."

"She can be very demanding and will expect you to be totally honest with her," explained Aunt Kayla.

"So, my life will be an open book?" I asked.

"Make that plural, LIVES; she will ask you about your life as Roger as well as your short life as Iona," Aunt Kayla answered with a smile.

"Oh," I replied softly. I hadn't expected that, but I was okay with it anyway.

"Don't worry, my dear. She has handled cases far more complex than yours."

I couldn't imagine anything more complex than a body swap. I then showed Aunt Kayla the e-mail from Nick.

"Do you think I should just ignore it?" I asked.

"It's hard to say. If he continues to contact you, let me know, but I wouldn't worry about it too much," she said truthfully.

I nodded in agreement. "There is something else; part of me desires to be with him or someone like him. The feeling scares me."

"You have proven these past weeks that you can control your urges and feelings. I know it has been a difficult battle, and it may be one you will be fighting for a long time. In some ways, you are like someone fighting an addiction," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Except there isn't a magical tattoo version of AA," I joked with a slight laugh.

"You're strong, Iona, stronger than you give yourself credit for. Look at the path you have chosen so far. You are starting college in the fall and you are dating a very nice man. You picked this path; you could have very easily taken the path blazed by Iona."

"I am beginning to sense more and more that she didn't like what she was doing with her life."

"I hope you are right," replied Aunt Kayla softly.

I then asked her what I should tell Bill about Iona's past, should we become more serious.

"You should be honest with him. If he really loves you, then he will understand. I think you have a long way to go until you have to worry about that," she suggested.

I had plenty to think about as I waited for my examination.


Chapter Thirty-One


I took a shower prior to my examination. I had a lot on my mind. I tried to access more of Iona's feelings. I had avoided doing this, as I looked at it as the mental version of looking in someone's medicine cabinet. But I needed to know what she was really thinking when she switched bodies with me. I guess part of me was afraid that I would become as sexually driven as she had been.

I selected a simple outfit to wear. Since part of the exam would involve the tattoos, I selected clothes that would come off easily. I had on a bra, panties, a green cotton skirt, and a white sleeveless t-shirt. Of course, I was wearing sandals.

I looked at my image in the mirror and smiled. I liked how I looked. I brushed my hair back and then used a scrunchie to hold it in a ponytail. Normally I kept my hair flowing free, but today I figured the ponytail would be more practical. Having long hair has been one of the hardest things to get used to since I became Iona. I never had long hair as Roger, and to suddenly have a very full and long head of hair has been hard to get used to. It took me several weeks to master the proper way to make a towel turban! I also cannot stand hair blowing in my face. I'd cut it short, but it looks so damn good long!

I headed downstairs and waited out in the garden for Amelia to arrive. Aunt Kayla was with a patient and she had said she would join us later. I knew she wanted to be there when the tattoo was examined.

I amused myself by playing with Tully. Her favorite toy was a feather that was attached to a flexible plastic stick by a long piece of nylon cord. I swear she could play with it all day. Tully was having a grand time stalking and attacking the feather. I noticed Bran slide into the garden. Bran tried very hard to ignore the feather but eventually gave in, and I had two cats playing like kittens with a big yellow feather. Our fun was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.

"Sorry, girls. We'll play more later," I apologized.

Tully sat there looking at me with a sad look on her face. Bran left as if she had an appointment somewhere else in the house.

I answered the door and saw a beautiful woman standing on our porch. She looked like she was in her early thirties and had short auburn hair. She was dressed in a pair of jeans and a white blouse, and she was carrying a laptop computer and a large leather case.

"Are you, Iona?" she asked.

She had a pleasant smile on her face, and I instantly liked and trusted her.

"Yes, I am. You must be Amelia," I answered. "Or should I call you Doctor?"

"Amelia is fine," she said as she entered the house.

"Aunt Kayla is with a patient," I explained.

"That's fine. Is there a place we can talk? I need to ask you a lot of questions before we start the examination," she asked.

I led her to the garden and asked if she wanted anything to drink. We both ended up with glasses of water.

The first part of the exam was pretty normal. Fiona had sent her Iona's health records, so many of the questions focused on Roger's health. She then asked me about my injuries in the accident.

"Kayla provided me with the information on the spells she used to heal you," she stated.

"Is that important?" I asked.

She didn't seem to mind my questions, and she answered each one in a very patient manner.

"Magic does have a residual effect on the body. Too many spells, or the wrong combination, can have severe consequences," she explained.

I sat there absorbing her words. "I'm learning something new every day."

We then talked about my budding powers. She asked a lot of questions and made a lot of notes. This went on for over an hour. In some ways, I was a bit disappointed that it was all so "normal." I guess I was expecting something more mystical.

She looked over her notes and then consulted her laptop computer. I then noticed that Aunt Kayla was sitting behind me. I'd never even heard her come out to the garden. I guess I was concentrating on talking with Amelia, so that I never sensed her approaching. She smiled at me and then got up and joined us properly.

"I didn't want to interrupt the interview," remarked Aunt Kayla

"How long were you there?" I asked. The cats could learn a thing about being quiet from Aunt Kayla.

"She arrived shortly after I started with the interview, Iona," added Amelia with a smile.

Amelia consulted her computer for a few more minutes before looking up at us. "Well, I must say that I am impressed with what I've seen so far. I will learn more when we do the physical portion of the exam. Iona, you are developing some very interesting powers. With training, you have the potential to become very powerful. Just remember that your powers may take years to fully develop."

"Really?" I said. Ugh! That sounded really stupid.

She smiled. "First off, you are developing a very strong sense of perception. It's not as if you can read people's minds, rather you will be able to sense their intentions and feelings. However, it isn't uncommon for people with this power to be become telepathic. I checked with the first Iona's medical record, and she had developed quite strong powers in this area."

"So that's why I can tell when someone is lying to me," I added. I then remembered how Iona was able to "talk" to me on the jet.

Amelia nodded. "Yes, that is true, but soon you should be able to sense much more than that. Next you also should be able to make people express their true thoughts and ideas."

I was a bit confused by this. "You mean, I can make them do what I want?"

"No, not exactly. You will be able to make them tell the truth or to say things that they were only thinking. Think back to the incident with - what was his name? Oh yes, Chad." said Amelia, consulting her notes.

I looked at Aunt Kayla. "Is this similar to how you made the drunk driver make that mass confession?"

"Yes, it is. It is a very strong power and should be used very carefully," replied Aunt Kayla.

"So, I inherited this from Iona too?" I asked.

Amelia checked her records and shook her head. Aunt Kayla looked surprised.

"This is amazing. Normally subjects in body swaps gain some of the original person's powers, but it is rare for them to develop new ones, especially one so powerful," exclaimed Amelia. "Are you sure your family doesn't have any mystical powers?"

I shook my head. "None that I'm aware of."

Aunt Kayla interrupted and told Amelia about Jenny and how she was able to detect that I was really Roger.

"Hmmm, she sounds very interesting. Do you think she would be willing to be examined?" Amelia asked me.

"I can ask her," I answered. All this confused me; what did it matter?

"We are finding many people out there who are totally unaware of their true heritage. There is a strong possibility that your family has some magical roots," added Aunt Kayla.

Amelia was going through her notes. "Iona, you said that your grandmother on your mother's side of the family was adopted. Do you know anything else about that?"

"She was abandoned at an orphanage when she was less than a year old," I answered. "She was adopted less than 6 months later."

"Does she know anything about her birth family? Was there a note or anything?" asked Amelia

I shook my head. "I remember her saying that she was wrapped in a shawl. The pattern was a Scots tartan. But it was lost before the pattern was ever identified. She didn't like to talk about it much. In fact, she only told the complete story once; that was the last time I saw her before she died."

"I will contact our research department. They may find some more information. It could be very important to you, Iona. This is making more sense. You may have much stronger powers than I originally thought," remarked Amelia.

This possibility was incredible and all very exciting.

"Why haven't I felt anything before? I mean, back when I was Roger, I never felt any powers. If I had, I would have been a better poker player," I quipped.

They both laughed

"You were the wrong gender then, my dear. Powers in most males are recessive in nature. Only when the male child receives special training do his powers come out," explained Aunt Kayla. "They can stay recessive in females too, if they are unaware of their true heritage, or if the powers are strongly repressed."

Amelia finished entering data into the computer and looked at me. "Okay, Iona, we need to do the physical portion of the exam. Additionally, I will do a thorough examination of your tattoo. Why don't we use your bedroom?"

I nodded, and we walked upstairs. My mind was swimming with ideas and thoughts. I wondered how Jenny would react to all of this. Knowing her, she would like the idea a lot.

We entered my room and Aunt Kayla closed the door behind us.

"Iona, I will need you to strip down. You can keep a robe on for now, but the exam will be done with you in the nude." said Amelia in a soothing tone. "Please remove everything, including your earrings."

I nodded and stripped down. I slipped on my bathrobe and stood there watching Amelia set up for the exam.

Amelia unpacked the case. First, she spread what looked like a white silk sheet over my bed. The sheet looked like it was liquid. Next she set up several candles and crystals on my nightstand. As she lit the candles, Aunt Kayla closed the blinds and curtains.

Amelia then poured a liquid into a glass. It looked like cranberry juice. She then handed the glass to me.

"This will help you relax," she explained.

Without a word, I sipped it and discovered that it tasted a bit like cranberry juice. I quickly drank it all and immediately felt a sense of calm sweep through my body.

"It is vital that you are relaxed during this entire process. If you fight your feelings or hold back, it will make my job more difficult," commented Amelia.

I didn't feel sleepy, just very calm and relaxed.

"How do you feel?" asked Amelia.

"Very good, thank you," I replied.

"Now, I need you to take off the robe and lie on your back on the bed," directed Amelia.

I obeyed her command and took off the robe. The sheet felt cool as I lay upon it.

"Iona, I will be in physical contact with your body, and I will be asking you questions as I touch you. Do not be embarrassed by your answers," explained Amelia.

"Okay," I answered. The sheet felt as if it was wet, but it wasn't. I could also smell spices. I figured that was from the candles.

I felt her hands on my feet. "I am going to start with your legs and slowly move up. I am looking for tattoos, marks, scars and anything else that might have magical significance."

I saw that Amelia was wearing a pair of goggles. "What are those for?" I asked.

"They allow me to see any UV tattoos," she replied.

"What sort of dye do they use in UV tattoos?" I asked.

"It's a natural plant dye. Many plants have pigments that are more visible in the UV range of light. They do this to attract specific insects or birds to help them pollinate. I'll show you some websites about it when we get done, if you are interested."

"But the dye isn't visible to the human eye, unless it's exposed to UV light," I added, remembering something I'd seen on The Discovery Channel.

"Correct," she smiled, "So far, I don't see any more marks. Now I am going to move up your torso, I will go back to the tattoo in a few minutes."

I felt her hands slide across every inch of my body. When she reached my breasts, I felt her hands feel all around them. My nipples hardened as she touched them.

"Sorry," I apologized. I could feel myself starting to blush.

"No need to apologize. It happens to women who aren't affected by a spell. Your nipples are hypersensitive. Are they always so sensitive?" asked Amelia.

"Yes, sometimes even more sensitive. If I don't... well... pleasure myself regularly, they get very sensitive," I explained.

"I see. So how often do you have to pleasure yourself, in order to stay in control?" she asked.

I smiled. "Almost every day. I sometimes go two days in a row without needing to pleasure myself."

"I see. Are you using a vibrator?" she asked.

"Often," I answered with a laugh.

Amelia chuckled. She then examined both of my arms and my hands. She held up each arm and looked all around, and in between each finger.

"Sometimes tattoos are hidden in between fingers, also under the arm and on the back of the arm," Amelia commented. "But, you are clean."

She went on to ask me if I'd had any rashes, cramps, pains, etc. I answered no to all of her questions. Next she examined my face and eyes. She paid special attention to my hair. She slipped off my scrunchie and ran her fingers through it.

I felt a slight tingle as she ran a crystal along the top of my head. It felt like static electricity.

"I just felt something like a tingling," I remarked. I then described the feeling for her.

"Really? That's good. That is an indication that you may be developing some very interesting skills. The crystal detects brain activity. A tingling indicates above average mental capability."

She then asked me to roll over on my stomach. I felt her hands cover every inch of my body as she worked her way down from my head to the small of my back. I felt her touch the tattoo on my back, and I felt a strong sensation. It was almost like static electricity. I jumped slightly, more out of shock than pain.

"Interesting. This tattoo is excellent work, definitely a first rate job. So, does it feel different for friends of Iona than for people Roger knew?" asked Amelia.

"I don't know. I haven't had the opportunity to use it with Iona's friends," I said truthfully.

"I want you to let me know what happens as soon as you have a reaction," she explained. "You should find it reacts differently, depending on how you like the person."

"Okay," I answered. "So, it can serve to protect me?"

"Yes, that may be why Iona got it in the first place," added Aunt Kayla.

After she reached my toes, she had me flip over again. This time, she removed the goggles and placed a UV light over my tattoo.

"This will take some time, Iona. I need to study every part of this very carefully," said Amelia.

"I understand," I answered.

For almost an hour, Amelia and Aunt Kayla inspected every part of the tattoo. They talked between themselves and looked up things in a book and on the Internet. I tried to follow what they were saying, but they quickly lost me. I was also concentrating on controlling myself. Their touch, so close to my vagina, was slowly driving me wild. I felt a bit embarrassed as I began to get wet, but neither Aunt Kayla nor Amelia said a word about it.

I stayed awake so I could let them know if I got any reaction from the various crystals Amelia rubbed against it. Most did nothing, but suddenly I felt a sharp pain as she touched it with a clear crystal. It felt like a burn, and it caused me to shout out in pain. Amelia quickly pulled it away and the pain immediately left.

"Sorry, Iona. Are you okay?" asked Amelia.

I caught my breath. "Yes, I am now. What caused that?" I asked. I then described the pain.

"I was afraid of this. I have some bad news, Iona. It is impossible to remove the tattoo or even alter it," stated Amelia sadly.

"Why?" I asked.

"The person who put this tattoo on Iona used a technique to tie it directly into your central nervous system. I seriously doubt if Iona would have agreed to a tattoo like this. It would have been very painful to get," explained Amelia.

"Look at this!" exclaimed Aunt Kayla, who was holding up a book to Amelia.

"You're right, Kayla. This was a tailored spell," agreed Amelia. "I was afraid of this."

"What she means, Iona, is the tattoo was designed specifically to match the magic of Iona. You are probably feeling less than half the amount of sensations she was feeling," stated Aunt Kayla. "You inherited enough of Iona's powers so that the tattoo has some power over you. But, since you are not identical to the original Iona, it isn't as strong."

"It still will protect you from disease and unwanted pregnancy. I agree with Kayla, you are most likely feeling half the influence of the tattoo compared to the original Iona," added Amelia.

"So, why did I feel so much more aroused when we first switched bodies?" I asked.

"Iona may have used an arousal spell to keep you under her initial control," noted Aunt Kayla.

"You can get up, Iona." Amelia stated.

I did, and Aunt Kayla handed me my robe.

"So, Iona would have been totally controlled by the spell?" I asked.

"Yes. It would have focused her thoughts only on being sexually satisfied. It must have been horrible for her. There is also a self-protection spell incorporated in the tattoo that would have prevented her from doing harm to herself," explained Amelia. "That was an old trick used to prevent the girls from killing themselves."

"So, she was stuck?" I said sadly.

"Yes. As long as she was in this body," said Amelia, pointing to me.

I suddenly knew what had happened in the accident. It was all very clear and so sad.

"Oh, my God! Iona didn't switch back after the accident, because she couldn't stand it anymore. Even death was preferable to the life she was living," I exclaimed. It was all so clear! I was suddenly filled with rage at Keir and complete sympathy for Iona. I also felt deep guilt. I had been so wrong about her! I also began to cry. Aunt Kayla held me tight, and I felt her tears against me. This changed everything about Iona.

Amelia immediately called Fiona with the findings of the exam. It was great to know that I was developing powers, but I was more interested in getting the bastard who had done this to Iona. They talked for a while, and then Aunt Kayla talked to Fiona.

Amelia reassured me that the spells associated with the tattoo would not get stronger as I developed my own powers, as they were designed specifically for Iona. However, I would have to live with the higher sexual urges for now.

I finally had a chance to speak to Fiona.

"I want to help you nail this bastard. I'll do whatever you want me to do!"

"I know that, Iona, and I appreciate it. I promise you that we will catch him. He'll now face murder charges," replied Fiona. I could sense her controlled rage at Keir.

"How are you holding up personally?" I asked Fiona.

"Much better. At least I know that Iona was under a spell and was not responsible for her actions," she answered. "I only wish that I had suspected a spell."

"From what Amelia has told me, there would have been nothing you could have done," I remarked, in an attempt to comfort her.

"I know," she answered softly. I could hear the sadness in her voice.

"I love you!" I replied.

"Thank you, Iona. I love you too!" she answered.

I handed the phone back to Amelia, who talked Fiona for a few more minutes.

"Don't feel so bad, Iona, I'm also feeling some guilt over what I thought about Iona," remarked Aunt Kayla. "I'm furious that this man was so cruel and heartless to do this to an innocent person, just to hurt someone else."

I looked at Aunt Kayla, and I could sense the rage that was burning underneath her calm exterior.

"You aren't thinking of taking justice into your own hands?" I asked, although I suspected the answer.

"Thinking about it, yes, but don't worry, I am not a vigilante," answered Aunt Kayla. "Although, if he tries to hurt you again, I might not be able to control myself."

Amelia hung up the phone and turned to me. "Iona, I need to do some routine medical tests, and I will also have to draw some blood. It will take a few minutes, then we can talk about everything."

The rest of the tests went by quickly, and I was allowed to get dressed. Amelia was packing up her stuff and said she would meet us downstairs.

Aunt Kayla and I sat out in the garden. I was pleased to see she had set up a little buffet, along with a bottle of wine.

"I figured everyone would be hungry. After all, it took nearly six hours for the exam." Aunt Kayla explained.

"Six hours?" I stated. I had lost all track of time.

Aunt Kayla nodded. "Yes, dear. It took nearly three hours to examine the tattoo. The liquid you drank helped you relax and is the reason why you lost track of time."

"That's pretty cool." I said truthfully. I had been so wrapped up in the Iona/tattoo thing that I didn't even notice the sun had gone down.

Amelia came down and sat down across from me. She too seemed pleased to see food and drink.

She took a sip of the wine and smiled. "This is wonderful, Kayla."

"I'll give you a bottle before you leave," replied Aunt Kayla.

"Wonderful. Now, Iona, first I want to say that you are in excellent health," remarked Amelia.

"That's good," I answered, "So what about the rest?"

"Magically you are above average, which isn't surprising considering your heritage. Some of your powers are starting to show, but there will likely be others. The timeframe for them is in question, but I expect that you'll develop your powers over the next few years. But remember, powers are just like any other body function. For you to fully develop, you'll need to study and train. A person may be born with the potential to become a great athlete, but they still need to work out and practice."

"Wow!" I exclaimed.

"I think that, between Kayla and Fiona, you will learn the proper techniques for focusing your powers," remarked Amelia.

"So, does that mean I'm enrolling in school?" I asked with a laugh.

"Yes, and you will have a very big summer reading list," replied Aunt Kayla.

"So, do you think that you will find out anything about my grandmother?" I asked Amelia.

"We should, our database is quite extensive," she answered.

"You know, Iona, your initial acceptance of the body swap and being stuck as Iona may have been influenced by the reawaking of your own magical heritage," added Aunt Kayla.

"That would explain a lot." I had to admit that I was amazed at how easily I had adapted to being Iona.

"As for the tattoo and your urges, I wish I could help you. I will research your problem, and maybe we will be able to find something to help you," said Amelia. "But to be honest, I will need to meet the artist who did it, and that seems unlikely. I am so sorry."

"It's okay," I replied. "Just as long as it doesn't get any worse."

"As Kayla said, that is unlikely, as it was tailored to match the specific magic of Iona. Whoever did this put a lot of time and effort into it. I will do everything in my power to help bring him to justice," added Amelia.

"I know," I smiled. "Thank you for everything."

I got up and hugged her.

"You're welcome, Iona. I would like to become your doctor. I am moving out here, and I need to start up a local client list," said Amelia.

"That's great!" I said. "I would like that a lot!"

We sat and talked a while longer. Keir's description would be sent out, and hopefully someone would know where he was.

"Has anyone checked the regular police databases? Someone like him may also be wanted for committing crimes," I suggested.

"Fiona's office is doing that. It takes time, but if they get a promising lead we can use them to help catch him," remarked Aunt Kayla.

"Who gets him first?" I asked.

Aunt Kayla smiled. "Depends on the crime. He will be facing murder charges in our realm now. I would like first shot at him, but we can get to him once he's in jail too."

"Good!"

We said good-bye to Amelia. She promised me that she would contact me as soon as she found out anything about my grandmother. I felt somewhat better about my situation, although I still felt a lot of guilt about the things I thought about Iona.


Chapter Thirty-Two


I was helping Aunt Kayla clean up when the phone rang. It was Bill!

"Hi, Bill!" I replied excitedly.

"You still want to go sailing tomorrow?" he asked.

"Absolutely," I answered.

"Great. I have a favor to ask. A friend owns the boat we are using, and I was wondering if you had a friend who could join us? His name is Sean and he's really nice. We work together in the DA's office," explained Bill.

"Sure, that would be fun. Let me call you back in five minutes. I have someone in mind," I answered.

"Okay, cool," said Bill and he gave me his number again.

I really didn't mind going out on a double date. I called up The Reef and asked for Karen.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Hey, I'm going sailing tomorrow and wondered if you would like to join me?" I asked.

"Sailing? Like out in the ocean? In a boat?" asked Karen. "Sorry, that's not my idea of fun, thanks anyway."

"Okay, I will get someone else to be Bill's lawyer friend's date," I added.

"What time do I meet you?" Karen instantly replied.

"I'll email you the info. See ya tomorrow, thanks again," I replied.

"I hope he's cute!" laughed Karen.

I called up Bill and told him about Karen.

"Oh yes, I remember her, she's the blonde right?" asked Bill.

"Yes, that's her," I replied.

"Sean loves blondes," he stated and we both laughed.

Bill gave me the info about where the boat was located. He then said he would pick me up around ten. I said that I would put together a lunch. We talked for a whole hour. It was the perfect remedy for my sad mood.

Later that evening, I was sitting at my computer typing out messages to Karen, Jenny, and Fiona.

I sent the directions and time to Karen and told her how to dress. I also passed on some info about her date.

Next, I wrote a long letter to Jenny about my physical. I left out the part about the sex tattoo. I also didn't tell her about Amelia's opinion that there might be a magic strain in our family. I wanted to wait until Amelia got back to me with her research. Also, I believed that sort of thing should be told in person. I could always fly back east and meet with Jenny. Although, I sensed that she would be very cool about it. I also began to think about Jenny and how perceptive she was. It would be cool if she also had magic; it would give us something to share.

Then I wrote a very long letter to Fiona. I guess in some ways I did it to make myself feel better. But I knew she must have been hurting. I had never hated anyone in my life like I hated Keir. I knew that hate was a strong emotion and that it should be avoided, but it was hard with Keir. He had caused so much pain in seeking his revenge. I hoped he would be caught soon and punished severely.

After that, I sent an e-mail card to Bill. It had a funny cartoon with a sailboat on it.

Finally, I broke out the silver wand, and while I relieved my urges I thought about being with Bill. Thinking about him made me feel safe and happy.


Chapter Thirty-Three


It was a beautiful Saturday afternoon, and I was soaking in the sun as we bobbed at anchor off the Southern California coast. We had just finished a great picnic lunch, and now we were just relaxing and talking. Bill and I were sitting near the stern, and Sean and Karen were sitting near the bow. The two of them were an instant match, and Bill and I were both pleased with our matchmaking.

"This is so beautiful!" I exclaimed, as I took a sip of my diet cola.

"I know. Look! Even the sea lions are out here enjoying themselves!" Bill said, pointing over my shoulder.

I turned in the direction he was pointing and saw several sea lions swimming by the boat. I could have sworn they were watching us! I might have to have a talk with Marny and Aunt Kayla later on.

"That is cool," I stated.

I was really having a great time. Bill was really nice, and I had to admit that I really loved the fact that he was very interested in me. I also wanted to make sure that he really liked me and wasn't being influenced by my powers. I tried not to think anything that might influence Bill's emotions or feelings. That was difficult, as I was falling in love with him. Okay, it might be "puppy love," as it was my first romance as a woman, but then again who knows?

I was wearing my bikini under my shorts and t-shirt. I was debating on whether to strip down to just my bathing suit, but then I looked over at Karen and saw that she had already stripped off her outer clothes. Her bikini was much skimpier than mine. Luckily, she had the body for it. So, I decided to follow her example and slipped out of my outer clothes.

I could tell by Bill's reaction that he approved. I had to admit that I looked damn good in my bikini! As Jenny said, I had a great body and I should be proud of it.

"Would you like me to put some sunscreen on your back?" asked Bill.

"Sure. That would be great," I replied.

I turned around and felt Bill's strong hands rub against my back. His touch did cause me to get slightly aroused. However, I had taken the precaution of making sure my top was well padded to hide my nipples!

"Oh, nice tattoo!" exclaimed Bill.

Shit! I hadn't thought about that. I hoped that he was the type of guy who found tattoos on girls sexy.

"Um... thanks," I replied.

"It's Celtic, isn't it?" asked Bill

"Yes, it is," I said. "I got it during high school."

I hoped he wouldn't ask too many questions about it. Shit! I should have worn a one piece!

"I like it. Somehow it suits you, Iona," said Bill. "You're so full of surprises!"

I noticed that when he touched it, I didn't get a reaction. At least not one from the tattoo!

Karen, hearing Bill's comments, walked over to join us. "You have a tattoo? Iona, that's so cool," exclaimed Karen.

I turned around so she could see it.

Sean looked at it and nodded.

"I've seen many patterns like that. It's some kind of blessing isn't it?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

"I want one like that. What do you think, Sean?" asked Karen.

He smiled and didn't say a word. He took her by the hand and walked her back to the bow.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to embarrass you," apologized Bill.

"You didn't. I am not ashamed of it."

"I thought about getting one, back when I was in the Navy. But thankfully Roger talked me out if it. Oops! Sorry. I didn't mean to bring him up again," apologized Bill.

I smiled. "It's okay. I'm glad he was your friend," I replied truthfully.

I remembered that incident. The tattoo was hideous, and Bill had had a little too much to drink. Bill was still pretty new at the time, and he'd thought the tattoo would give him more credibility with his sailors. Please change the subject, I thought! This was getting too close for comfort. Dating a guy you knew when you were a man can be very complicated.

"So, what else do you like to do?" asked Bill.

Okay, I broke my own rule about influencing him, but it was for the best.

"I love to travel," I replied.

"Me too!"

We spent the next hour trading stories. I adapted mine slightly and listened patiently as he described places that I been with him back in the old days.

"I need to ask you something, Iona. I'd love to ask you out to dinner," stated Bill.

"That wasn't a question, but I would love that too," I answered with a smile on my face.

Bill laughed. "Actually, you didn't give me a chance to finish. The dinner I am talking about is next weekend. It is a formal dinner party at the house of the DA. I promise it won't be too boring."

"The answer is still yes," I replied.

Then, out of the blue, Bill leaned over and kissed me. I felt tingles all over my body! This was more of a romantic kiss than before, and I loved every second of it.

When we finished, I looked over his shoulder and saw the head of a sea lion peeking out of the water at us. I was temped to flip it the bird, but decided not to; after all, that wouldn't be very ladylike.

Karen really enjoyed herself and really enjoyed the sailing lesson she got from Sean as we sailed back into port. I sat next to Bill and felt his arm slip around me. Yes, this was happening too fast, and I didn't care. If I was destined to spend the rest of my life as woman, I might as well enjoy myself.


Chapter Thirty-Four


I walked into the house after Bill dropped me off. Aunt Kayla was talking on the phone. She smiled and said good-bye as she saw me walk in.

"Marny sends her regards," mentioned Aunt Kayla, as if she could read my mind.

"Did she give you a full report?" I asked with a laugh.

"Actually, the sea lion was there as a safety precaution. She would have notified Marny if the boat had problems," explained Aunt Kayla.

"So, she didn't tell Marny about Bill and me kissing?"

Aunt Kayla laughed. "Sorry, dear, we were just interested in your safety."

"That's okay. It's nice to know that I am loved," I replied.

We talked about the day, and I told her that Bill had accepted my invite to dinner. I also told Aunt Kayla about the dinner at the DA's house.

"You'll need to get a nice dress for that, my dear," she said.

"Goody! More shopping."

I went upstairs to shower and change. Yes, I did pleasure myself as I showered. It felt very good. Afterwards, I dried off and slipped into a bra, panties, shorts and top.

I checked my mail and found a message from Amelia. She said that she had passed on the info about my grandmother to her researcher friend. She said that she would get back to me as soon as she knew something.

I then wrote a long e-mail to Jenny, telling her about my date. I really enjoyed the fact that I could share this with her.

I then checked Iona's account and found another message from Nick. He was upset that I hadn't responded to his first message. He then described in very vivid terms what he would do with me as soon as he got to San Diego. He then described all the sexual activities that he had planned for me.

I stared at the message. At least the rest of Iona's previous lovers had given up and stopped e-mailing her. But Nick was different, and I was afraid he would show up expecting the old Iona to spend a weekend of debauchery with him. I printed out the message and also forwarded a copy to Fiona. I was afraid of Nick. I was also afraid that I might not be strong enough to resist what he was offering. As Roger, Nick wouldn't have been too much of a problem. I felt very vulnerable due to my new smaller physical size.

Aunt Kayla read the message several times.

"As far as you can remember, was everything that Iona and Nick did consensual?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"As much as it pains me to say so, yes -- yes, it was," I stated in an apologetic tone. I felt slightly ashamed for things that I didn't actually do.

"Remember that Iona had no real say in all this," said Aunt Kayla, seeing my shame.

"I know," I replied softly.

"Just keep ignoring him. There is nothing that's illegal in this message. Nick is proposing some vile acts, but nothing that is against the law, as it would be between consenting adults," said Aunt Kayla.

"Okay."

"Since Iona knew him, he should be detected by your tattoo; so, you will have some warning should he approach you," she continued.

"I hope I can run faster than he can. From what I remember, he is very strong; and there is no way that I could fight him," I stated. "This is so frustrating. I'm not used to being scared by a guy like this."

"The first thing you need to do is not think of yourself as helpless, just because you are female and physically smaller than you used to be," stated Aunt Kayla.

"It is hard to ignore that Nick is much stronger than me," I replied.

"There is more power in the world than just physical strength," answered Aunt Kayla.

She got up and walked inside. A few minutes later, she returned with a leather-bound book.

"Here is your first reading assignment. This is not a book of spells, but it does tell you how your powers work. You need to understand why things work before you start using them," explained Aunt Kayla. "Once you understand why your powers work, then you can learn how to use them."

I took the book from her and opened it up. My education was truly beginning.

I spent the rest of the evening reading from the book. Just as I had thought, many of my powers could be used by just thinking about them. This was convenient and also very dangerous. I had a temper, and the last thing I wanted was to start casting spells just because I was pissed off at someone cutting me off in traffic. The book described how emotions could have a strong effect on casting spells. Strong, basic emotions such as fear, anger, and hate could be used to amplify spells, just as Aunt Kayla had told me.

Other powers still required a spell. The spell was more to focus the power and not to actually initiate it. So, this is why the words of most spells don't work for non-magical people. That was good to know. Likewise, most amulets and crystals had no actual magic in them, they were just amplifiers.

I also found that, while powers varied from person to person, most magical people could cast a large variety of spells. It seemed to be just a matter of how much you wanted to study and focus. Having stronger powers just it made it easier to cast spells, but even a person with weak powers could become proficient in spells.

I looked at the clock and noticed it was now almost 1:00 AM. I had been so wrapped up in the book that I'd lost all track of time. I debated reading some more, but decided sleep was more important.


Chapter Thirty-Five


Sunday morning I joined Aunt Kayla downstairs after my usual morning rituals. I'd found out that the batteries were almost dead in the silver wand, and I added batteries to my shopping list.

"The book is very interesting," I stated.

"Well, I thought it would be a good place to start your education," replied Aunt Kayla.

"I am beginning to see the responsibility that I now have," I replied. I poured myself a cup of tea.

"Eventually, your powers will feel very natural, just like you are adapting to being a woman," explained Aunt Kayla.

"There are many things that confuse me about that issue too," I stated.

"Like what?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I smiled. She had reeled me in good on this one. I kept forgetting that she was also a therapist.

"Well, my sexuality is confusing. Look at my present situation. I am dating a man that I knew from my old life. I never had any sexual feelings for him then, and now I find myself sexually pleasuring myself while I think of him," I explained.

Aunt Kayla sat back and sipped her tea. I could tell she was going to let me talk without interrupting.

"I know that my sexual urges are higher due to the tattoo, but that should have nothing to do with my sexuality. I also still feel aroused when I see certain women. I still feel sexual feelings about women, although I haven't acted on them. I know you told me that I would gradually become more female inside, but that my essence would stay the same. I always considered myself heterosexual, so where does being bisexual come from? It is all very confusing."

Aunt Kayla just nodded and took another sip of her tea.

"I know that my feelings for Bill are real. It is just that I have these lingering feelings from my days as a guy. Am I rambling now?" I asked.

"Your confusion is only natural, my dear. Personally, I don't get too wrapped up in terms like gay, straight, or bisexual. I understand society's need to have titles like those; it's just that I think the terms are too rigid and simplistic. Most people are too complex to fit into just one of three categories," explained Aunt Kayla.

It was my turn to sit and listen.

"Initially, you were Roger, a heterosexual male in Iona's body, but it has become more complex. You are not the same person as you once were back when the switch first occurred. You have become more feminine, and you have absorbed and assimilated some of Iona's traits, and you may be discovering feminine traits that have always existed in yourself. But your core essence is the same. Your sexuality is also fluid. No person is completely one sexual orientation. You may have had repressed sexual feelings for Bill, but you never knew it back then. But does that really matter now?" she asked.

I thought about what she had said.

"No one is judging you, Iona... except yourself," she added.

I wished I had spent less time daydreaming in my philosophy classes. Aunt Kayla was right about the self-judgment. I felt strong feelings for Bill, and I didn't see it as a gay relationship since I really didn't see myself as a man anymore. The problem was I didn't quite see myself as 100 percent a woman yet either.

What she'd said about sexuality also had me thinking. It was so much easier when I didn't know so much! Back in the good old days, men were men and women were women, and men loved women and vice versa. But, I knew that was way too simplistic. Even expanding it to include gay and bi-sexuality didn't cover it all.

"This hasn't cleared everything up, but it has helped," I said.

"I wish I could make everything clear for you, my dear, but some things take time," added Aunt Kayla. "But I feel that you are closer than you think."

"Because I am now aware of this duality?" I asked.

"Yes, my dear," she said with a smile.

I sat back in the chair and began to think about my life. I wasn't sure which issue was more pressing, my new gender, my sexuality, or my growing powers.

"I appreciate your patience with me," I remarked. "Thank you so much."

Aunt Kayla smiled and then got up to give me a hug. I truly needed that!


Chapter Thirty-Six


The next couple of days went by without any major problems. I was absorbing the books that Aunt Kayla loaned me. I didn't see this as work, as I really wanted to know everything I could about my powers. I bought a nice dress for the dinner party. The dress I'd bought with Jenny was a bit too sexy for the event. I would save that one for a private evening together. I was also working a bit more. I was still waiting for Amelia's reply on information about my grandmother.

Thursday evening I was working the late shift at The Reef. I was getting used to the job, and I didn't even mind the high heels all that much anymore.

There was a good crowd there that night, and I was actually having fun. I then got a very strange sensation from my tattoo. I immediately felt on guard. My senses perked up, and I scanned the area for the person I had feared might show up here in San Diego... Nick.

I scanned the room, but I didn't see him; then the warning sensation suddenly went away. Maybe he was just cruising the neighborhood. What was good was the fact that he didn't come in The Reef. Just in case, I scanned the room to see where our bouncers were located. I might need their help just in case Nick returned.

The rest of the night I tried to put myself at ease. I had my early warning system, and I hadn't felt anything since the first sensation, so I tried to convince myself that everything was okay.

At the end of the shift, I had just about put Nick out of my mind. I walked out to the parking area with Karen, when I was suddenly hit by the same warning sensation. I looked to my right and saw Nick walking towards us.

Nick was a large man. You could tell that he had once been in very good shape, but he now had the look that he was letting himself go. He was developing a beer gut and looked as if he was twenty pounds overweight. His goatee was also in need of a trim.

"I thought that was you in there," stated Nick, as he flashed a smile.

"I'm not interested in you, Nick," I answered and continued walking towards my car.

"Come on, Iona. I know you want me; I know you want me bad!"

"Beat it, jerk, she said she wasn't interested," snapped Karen.

Nick looked at Karen and licked his lips.

"You want to join us, Blondie?" leered Nick.

He then walked closer to us. Karen ran back into the club to get help.

"Come on, you slut, you know you want to be with me," sneered Nick as he glared at me.

"It's all over. I am a different person now. Please, leave me alone," I replied, as I backed away from him. I tried to stall for time. I was also hoping he would just leave.

A slightly confused look came over Nick's face.

"I don't understand, Iona; you were always so eager before. What has changed?" he asked.

Karen then came back out with one of our bouncers.

Dan was 6-5 and played second-string football for one of the local colleges, and he usually managed to scare off most threats in The Reef. Nick didn't seem to be scared.

"Why don't you leave the ladies alone, buddy?" shouted Dan.

Nick smiled and turned to meet Dan. In a split second, Nick kicked Dan in the stomach. Dan was on the ground trying to catch his breath, and I felt fear and anger rushing through my body. Karen was next to Dan, trying to help him.

"Enough games, slut, you're coming with me!" exclaimed Nick.

He grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me towards him. His hand engulfed my wrist, and I knew it was impossible for me to physically pull away. I tried to hold my ground as the defiance in me grew, but he was too strong. I was being dragged along like a rag doll. I felt helpless, as I was physically unable to resist him. I felt my anger growing.

"Dammit, bitch, why are you fighting me?" yelled Nick.

"Let me go! LET ME GO!" I screamed.

What happened next was amazing. I suddenly focused on his hand wrapped around my wrist and concentrated. I watched as my wrist suddenly glowed bright red, almost as if it was on fire. Nick screamed and released me. I watched as he held his hand and moaned in pain. He then cursed me and ran off down the alley. I then joined Karen and Dan.

"I didn't see what happened, what did you do to him? He screamed like you hurt him really bad," stated Karen, who was on the ground helping Dan.

"I kicked him, really hard. I guess he couldn't take a little pain," I lied.

"Damn, remind me never to piss you off," mumbled Dan.

We helped him stand up, and then we helped him back into The Reef. Tom, the manager, immediately called the police. Tom seemed very angry with me.

I told the police the truth, more or less, about my relationship with Nick. I said that I had dated him back east, but that I hadn't seen him in over a year, which was true. The police ran his description and name and found out that he had a few outstanding warrants. The most serious one was for using the date-rape drug.

After the police left, I gave Karen an edited version of my old life back east. I told her that I had been a big partier and had come out to start my life fresh. I was worried about her reaction.

"I don't care what you did in the past, Iona. From what I've seen, you are well on your way to the redemption you are seeking," noted Karen.

I could sense that she really cared for me.

Tom, who had been eavesdropping, stepped forward to talk to us.

"I appreciate that you are trying to start over. But I must warn you that we can't have any more problems here. You can't bring your sordid past into my place. We are lucky that Dan is okay," he stated angrily. "You should tell him you're sorry."

"Tom, do you realize that Iona was almost abducted this evening? She doesn't need you to threaten her and make her feel worse than she already does," snapped Karen.

I felt good that Karen was so quick to defend me. I was too conflicted by what had happened to stand up to Tom. I was angry and scared about Nick's attempted abduction. I was also trying to figure out how I was able to get away from him.

"I just don't need troubles here," retorted Tom. I didn't like the way he was staring at me. "The last thing I want is the police nosing around here."

"Hey, Boss, don't blame her. I shouldn't have taken that guy so lightly," added Dan. "Iona, I don't blame you for what happened."

"Thanks." I was on the verge of tears.

"Come on, Iona, I'll drive you home," offered Karen. She glared back at Tom as we got up to walk out.

"I'll follow you home, Iona," stated Dan.

I could tell that he felt guilty about not being able to protect me. However, I appreciated his offer. I was afraid that Nick might still be lurking out there.

I just nodded. As we walked away, I could feel the eyes of Tom staring at me. He saw me as trouble and was probably thinking of a way to fire me. I didn't care about the stupid job, but I did care about my reputation.

Karen drove me home in my car, while Dan followed. He ensured that I got in the house safely. I watched as he drove Karen back to her car. I turned to see Aunt Kayla standing there in the hall. I then broke down in tears as she held me.

We sat out in the garden, and I instantly felt better. I told her what had happened, including the whole incident with my wrist.

"You say that you saw your wrist glow red?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Yes. The weird thing is that I didn't feel any pain, but it looked like hot steel," I explained.

Aunt Kayla excused herself and retrieved a book from her library. After several minutes, she found what she was looking for.

"Somehow, you invoked a very powerful protection spell. I am amazed you managed to do it with so little experience. I must admit that I am very impressed," she exclaimed.

"I was just angry and scared. I told him to let me go, and it just happened."

"It's a spell that protects you from harm. Your fear and anger was transformed into physical energy. I'm sure Nick has a really painful burn on his hand. The energy released was in direct proportion to the threat," explained Aunt Kayla as she read about the spell.

"So, if he had used more force, the spell would have been stronger?" I asked.

"Exactly. That's what makes it so powerful. If you don't restrict its power, you could really hurt someone. I will e-mail Amelia and Fiona about this. I know they will find this very interesting. Now, the big question is how you are doing?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Better, thank you," I replied. "Do you think he'll come back?"

"I doubt it. But if he does, he will regret his decision," Aunt Kayla answered in a firm tone.

I nodded in agreement.

"I will also have to tell Bill about this," I replied softly.

It was Aunt Kayla's turn to nod.


Chapter Thirty-Seven


Amelia and Fiona both called and talked to me about the incident. Like Aunt Kayla, they were both astounded by my outburst of power. Amelia added that she was due to get the information on my grandmother soon, and she would e-mail me a copy as soon as possible.

The rest of the day dragged. I waited until lunchtime to call Bill. I got his voice-mail and left a message for him to call me. I had nothing to do but wait. Aunt Kayla had a full afternoon of clients, so I grabbed my cell phone and walked over to talk to Jacob.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I am very pleased to see you, my dear," announced Jacob.

I gave him a hug and followed him into the house. He poured us each a brandy, and we sat out on his deck. I updated him on what was going on, including my dating Bill.

"So, do you think he'll understand about my sordid past?" I asked.

Jacob smiled and took a sip of his brandy.

"If this young man is anything like you describe, he'll understand," noted Jacob.

"Love is so different from this side," I stated softly, almost to myself.

"That is because you are more in tune with your emotions as a woman," stated Jacob.

I felt better after talking to Jacob. I also appreciated the brandy.

"So, tell me about Marny. How did you meet?" I asked.

"It was back in the war. I served on the same ship as her fiancé. We were best friends and had served together for years. I was stunned when he told me that he was getting married and even more stunned that he asked me to be his best man. Unfortunately, it never happened," he explained sadly. Jacob then took a deep sip of brandy.

I reached over and put my hand on his. He looked at me and smiled.

"We were torpedoed, and I was one of the few survivors. The ship went down in seconds and only the bridge team had a chance to get off. I made it to a raft, along with the other survivors. It was so cold. We were off the coast of Greenland, and we were very lucky to be picked up by a Canadian destroyer. When I was well enough, I tracked Marny down and told her what had happened," continued Jacob, his voice drifting off, as he if he was reliving the incident.

"And you've been friends ever since?" I asked.

"I guess you could say that. Actually, she gave me a reason to live. I felt guilty that it was I that had survived and not him. Telling her what had happened was the most difficult thing I ever did. I went back to sea. I volunteered for every difficult mission that came up. I guess I had a death wish, but it was Marny's letters that changed my attitude," answered Jacob.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"She restored my will to live. After the war, I opened up a charter boat service in New England. I offered sailing vacations, fishing charters and things like that. Marny convinced me to start whale-watching tours, long before it was fashionable. I fell back in love with the sea, and I fell deeply in love with her, but she could only see me as a friend. Eventually, she told me her secret, and I guess our close friendship has given me this long healthy life," he stated. "Never underestimate the power of friendship."

I sat there. Their story was both very happy and very sad.

"Don't feel sorry for us, my dear. We have had over 60 years of friendship, and I wouldn't trade that for anything," he said in a comforting tone.

I got up and kissed him on the cheek.

We talked for another hour before my phone rang. It was Bill. I said good-bye to Jacob and walked over to the seawall to talk.

"What's up, Iona? You sounded troubled," asked Bill. I could hear the concern in his voice.

"We need to talk about something," I said softly. I then told him what had happened the night before and all about my past. Of course, I told him the edited, non-magical version of Iona's past.

When I finished, I waited for his response. There was a long pause before he began to reply.

"Thank you for your honesty. I know that it must have been very difficult to tell me this. But I don't care about what you did in the past. I only know the girl I've been with out here," he explained.

I felt a tear dripping down my cheek.

"I suspected that you were hiding something about your past, and I knew that you would eventually tell me. This changes nothing between us," he stated. "However, I'm going to see what the police database has on Nick."

I felt such relief. I looked over at Jacob's house and saw him sitting on his upstairs deck. I gave him a thumb's up and he waved back.

It showed me that people were willing to forgive someone for mistakes made in their past.

My problems suddenly didn't seem so monumental.


Chapter Thirty-Eight


Saturday morning I was lost in my studies. I was sitting in the garden, totally absorbed in the book that Aunt Kayla had loaned me. Tully had found her way onto my lap and had fallen asleep there, and I barely noticed.

"Penny for your thoughts, my dear," asked Aunt Kayla.

Her voice startled me. I didn't know she had sat next to me.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't hear you come out here," I answered.

"I've been out here nearly twenty minutes," replied Aunt Kayla.

"Well, if you don't mind, I do have a question for you," I asked

"There's a surprise!" she exclaimed.

I laughed. "This book doesn't differentiate between good and evil. Why is that?" I asked

"Because, my dear, magic isn't good or evil. Only people can have those traits," she replied. "There have been people with powers in all cultures throughout history. Some used their powers to help, and others used their powers for personal gain. Some cultures accepted them, and other cultures did not. To strengthen their rejection of those with powers, they declared them all evil."

"The winners write the history," I replied as I thought about what she had just said.

"Maybe not the winners, but those in control often write the history and decide what is right and wrong," added Aunt Kayla.

"There is so much to learn. I am just beginning to feel comfortable as a woman, and now I have to adapt to having powers. What happened the other night scares me! I had no idea of what I was doing and yet I hurt him. What happens if I get really angry?" I asked.

"That is why you are learning about your powers. Most of us have abused our powers at one time or another. However, no one would fault you for your reaction to Nick. It was self-defense, and you responded accordingly. If you had Roger's strength, would you have hit Nick?" asked Aunt Kayla.

I thought about it for a moment. "If it was in self-defense? Yes, I would have hit him."

"Would you have tried to kill him or to hurt or scare him off?" she asked.

"I've only been in few fights as Roger, and I never tried to actually kill anyone," I replied. "I wouldn't have tried to kill Nick last night, at least not unless it was the last resort."

She smiled. "Iona, your intentions are part of your very being. You had the power to really hurt, or even kill Nick, yet you didn't. Mentally, you have set your limits based on your own sense of morality."

I thought back to the concept that magic wasn't good or evil; it was up to the person's morality. I felt a bit better about having powers.

"So, tell me how you feel about this evening?" she asked.

"I've been so wrapped up in my studies, I haven't had time to worry about it," I replied.

"Just be yourself and you will do fine," said Aunt Kayla.

"Is that be myself or myselves?" I asked with a laugh.

She smiled. "Iona, you are only one person. The split is getting smaller every day. You will always have some duality in your life, and that may be for the best."

I smiled and then looked at my watch. I had to start getting ready for my date. I excused myself and went upstairs to shower.

I was too preoccupied by my thoughts about my powers to be aroused. There was so much to learn and so much to gain. I also debated about my future. Since I was starting over in so many ways, maybe I should seek a new career too. I wanted to do something that would allow me to use my powers to help people, like the way Aunt Kayla uses her powers. I thought that with my heightened sense of perception I could make a good lawyer; after all, my "mother" was a prosecutor!

I dried off and styled my hair. I then made up my face. I used a bit more makeup than I normally did, but I didn't overdo it either. I still struggled with eyeliner and mascara. I had the hardest time keeping my eyelids still as I applied it. I don't know how some girls apply it so easily!

My dress was a black cocktail dress. Aunt Kayla said every woman needed a dress like it in her wardrobe. I loved the way it looked on me. I found myself posing in front of the mirror, admiring myself. I didn't even mind wearing heels tonight. I also had my first experience of putting stockings on. It took me a few tries to get them straight, and there was a bit of a struggle attaching my stockings to the garter belt. But it was worth the struggle, as my legs did look great.

I presented myself to Aunt Kayla and I could tell from her reaction that I had done a good job.

"Oh, my! Iona, you look lovely!" exclaimed Aunt Kayla

I felt a sense of joy run through my body.

"Thank you," I answered with a huge smile on my face.

"If Bill doesn't feel you are beautiful, then he needs an eye exam," she stated.

I sensed his approach and turned in time to see his car pull into the driveway.

"We'll find out in a moment," I stated. I felt myself trembling slightly in anticipation.

Aunt Kayla met Bill at the door and walked him in. He saw me standing there and didn't say a word. I could feel his eyes all over me, and I watched as a smile grew on his face.

"Well?" I asked with a smile.

"Words fail me, Iona. You are gorgeous," he replied with a smile.

"I'll accept that."

Bill was wearing a tux. It was a classic black, James Bond type tuxedo. I had to admit that he looked pretty dashing in it, and I told him so.

"Well, we'd better get going," noted Bill, looking at his watch.

We said good-bye to Aunt Kayla and left the house. Bill was the ultimate gentleman, and he opened the car door for me. I really liked the feeling of being treated so specially.

"I just want to say thank you for taking me out tonight," I said softy.

Bill glanced over at me; there was a look of surprise on his face.

"I meant what I said the other day. I don't care about your past. What you may have done back then doesn't matter to me," he answered.

Damn, he was too good to be true!

"I still appreciate that you accept me for being me, and not just my looks," I replied.

It was strange, but in some ways I was getting the man that Iona needed to save her.

He took my hand into his. No more words were necessary.

The party was a lot of fun. Bill introduced me to the people from his office. Sean was there with Karen. She looked star struck. At first she didn't even recognize me.

"Sorry, Iona. I just have to keep pinching myself to ensure that this isn't a dream," she whispered to me. "By the way, thanks again for introducing me to Sean!"

"Thanks for sticking up for me the other night," I whispered back.

The only thing about the evening that bothered me was the way that some of the people there treated me. They took me at face value. I was just a college girl, and to some of them I "wasn't up to their level, intellectually." Well, I wasn't about to play dumb for anyone!

A few were holding a conversation on the latest international crisis and whether the US should become involved. One of Bill's smart-ass co-workers turned to me and asked me what I thought we should do. I could sense he was fully expecting my response to be humorous and that I would show what an airhead I was.

I gave a clear, concise description of the limitations of using the military as peacemakers and the history of the conflict in question. Soon, I had everyone's attention, and they were truly listening to my response. Even the jerk that tried to set me up seemed impressed.

Bill came over and interrupted and pulled me away.

"I need to introduce you to my boss. By the way, I'm impressed with your knowledge of the military and foreign policy. You never cease to amaze me!" exclaimed Bill.

"Are they watching us walk away?" I whispered to Bill.

He glanced over his shoulder. "Yep!"

I smiled and felt a tingle of joy as Bill took my hand in his. I was grateful that I had bought new batteries for the silver wand, as it was going to get a good workout tonight!

I knew that this would be an important moment for Bill. I was determined to make a good impression on his boss. The present DA was a woman, and she actually remembered Bill, even though he was one of many junior lawyers working in the office.

We stood there and talked for a few minutes. She was checking us both out, and I could sense that Bill had made a good impression. She asked me about my plans and I explained that I was starting college after spending a few years traveling. That didn't seem to bother her.

"I think it is wonderful that you explored the world before continuing your education. It will make you a better, more rounded person. So what are you going to study?" she asked me.

"I was going to study engineering, but I am thinking about shifting to history and pre-law. My mother is a lawyer, and I am thinking about going into the family business," I answered.

My answer pleased the DA and caught Bill off guard. There was something about this woman that seemed familiar. It was as if I had met her before.

As we walked away from her, Bill whispered to me, "Just when I think you can't surprise me, you stun me again."

"I'm really thinking about going into the law," I stated. "I've decided that I want to help others."

Bill just smiled and shook his head.

The rest of the evening went by in a blur. Bill and I had a wonderful time, and I must admit that we were both sad to see the evening come to an end.

While I really appreciated Bill's restraint, I was hoping that he would soon take our relationship up a notch. But, I put that thought out of my mind, as I didn't want to influence him with my magic. I wanted it to come naturally.

As we drove back to my place, Bill held my hand the whole way.

We pulled into my driveway, and Bill pulled me close and we began to kiss. I felt my body come alive as we kissed long and passionately. Bill's hands were slowly sliding over my body and it felt so wonderful.

We kissed for several minutes before he escorted me up to the house.

"I can't wait until we go out again," I said honestly.

"You read my mind. How 'bout this Friday? I have a great little romantic restaurant I want to take you to," he asked.

"Sounds great. I can't wait," I answered.

We kissed again. I felt as if I was in a romantic movie and I was the heroine. I stepped inside and watched him walk away. He kept looking over his shoulder at me. He waved and drove away.

I walked upstairs and filled the bath. As appealing as the sliver wand was, I decided to take a bath instead. I poured in some bubble bath and slipped into the hot steamy water. I thought about how wonderful the night had been and how good it felt to be with Bill. As I pleasured myself, my problems and fears slipped away for a few minutes.

My body craved release, and it didn't take long to bring myself to climax. What was amazing was that the orgasms kept coming. I was hit by one wave of pleasure after another, and I sloshed around in the tub in ecstasy. I did my best to keep the noise down, but it was difficult! I finally came down as I slipped down into the tub, until I was almost submerged. I lay there in the tub for several minutes, regaining my energy, before getting out and cleaning up the excess water that had spilled out of the tub. It was a small price to pay for such a wonder release of joy and pleasure.

I skipped my computer. The world could wait until morning, and I climbed into bed and fell into a deep and rewarding night of sleep.


Chapter Thirty-Nine


I woke up early and checked my e-mail. I wanted to write Jenny and tell her about my wonderful evening with Bill. I also wrote Amelia and asked if she had anything on my family yet.

I then switched over to Iona's account and found several angry messages from Nick. He was furious with me, and he promised revenge. He said that he would have his way with me and then sell me as a whore to some third-world brothel and other wild threats. It was strange, but I didn't fear him as I had earlier. I sensed that, deep down, he was afraid. I wondered if he was afraid of me!

I still forwarded the e-mail to Fiona. I was about to close the last message when I read something that did scare me. Unlike the rest of the messages, this one had been sent to someone else besides me. The name was "Dark Stranger."

That was why I sensed fear in Nick! He was somehow associated with Keir, and his failure with me wouldn't be appreciated.

I immediately printed it out and took it downstairs to show Aunt Kayla.

"I was afraid of this," she commented.

"You mean you suspected that Keir was involved in all this?" I asked

"I had a feeling, but no proof. I didn't want to alarm you, my dear," replied Aunt Kayla.

"I understand," I replied softly. I knew that Aunt Kayla felt bad about not telling me her suspicions about Nick. As she liked to say, it was now water under the bridge!

"I assume you already forwarded these to Fiona," commented Aunt Kayla.

"Yes, I did," I replied.

"Good. Keir is getting more arrogant all the time. It is just a matter of time until he is caught," stated Aunt Kayla.

I wondered if either of us really believed that.

"Do you think he knows that I am not the original Iona?" I asked.

"He knows that you are acting differently. He may think it is due to my magic or that you have found a spell to ward off the effects of the tattoo, but I doubt he suspects the truth," answered Aunt Kayla. "Remember, he is only using Iona as a way to hurt Fiona."

"I have a strange feeling that Nick will be back, and that Keir may also come out here to check out what went wrong," I stated.

Aunt Kayla nodded in agreement. In some ways, I was hoping he would show up, so we could end it once and for all.

We then talked about something more pleasant, my date with Bill. Aunt Kayla seemed impressed with the way I'd handled the incident with Bill's co-workers.

"Never play dumb. Too many women do that because they are afraid that men don't want an intelligent woman around," she stated.

"That won't be a problem. I have no intention of acting like a bimbo," I added. "Besides, Bill was very impressed by my intellectual prowess!"

I then told her of how the DA seemed familiar, even though I knew I'd never met her.

"Besides, my tattoo never 'went off'," I joked.

"The reason she seems familiar is that she is one of us," answered Aunt Kayla. "You should get similar feelings whenever you meet anyone who has powers."

"That's pretty cool. Do you think she knows that I also have powers?" I asked.

"Oh, I am sure of it," replied Aunt Kayla.

"Will this be something that will help or hurt Bill?" I asked.

"It is a definite positive!" answered Aunt Kayla.

That was good. I didn't want our relationship to hurt Bill in his job.


Chapter Forty


I arrived at work that afternoon and started my usual routine. It was a light afternoon, and we didn't have a lot of customers yet, so Karen and I sorted out silverware and talked. We talked about the party and how much fun we'd had. I then noticed Tom staring at us. Obviously, he was still angry with me for the other night

The rest of the night I could feel him staring at me. I tried not to let it bother me, but as the night wore on I could sense that something bad was about to happen.

Dan was working that night and seemed to have recovered from the fight. He smiled at me, so obviously he wasn't holding a grudge.

While we were cleaning up, Tom walked over to me and told me that he wanted to talk to me in his office. Somehow, I didn't think I was about to get a promotion!

I followed him to his office and he told me to have a seat.

"Iona, I have been giving this a lot of thought, and I have decided to let you go. That incident the other night is just too serious to ignore, and I cannot allow disruptions here," he stated.

"The incident? IT wasn't my fault, besides it happened after work and had no effect on business!" I angrily replied. I could feel my temper rising.

"It wouldn't have happened, if you had been MORE responsible in the first place!" he added, in a very sarcastic tone. "I know all about girls like you."

I debated my response. I fought off the urge to tell him to go fuck himself. Instead I just stood up to walk out.

"I'm not finished! Sit down!" he shouted.

I glared at him. I felt angry and humiliated, and the last thing I wanted to do was take more of his abuse.

"You may have fooled Karen and Dan, but I can still tell that you have a wild streak in you. If you make any trouble for me over this firing, I may call that hotshot boyfriend of yours. How would he take knowing his new girlfriend is a slut?" sneered Tom.

"He knows everything. I already told him about my past. Look, you won! I'm no longer working at your precious bar. What ELSE do you want from me?" I retorted. He could have the damn job, but I wasn't going to let him humiliate me.

"Humph. Being you're a very attractive young woman, I was going to give you a chance to 'redeem' yourself, but you are not worth it. Go on, I'll send you your last paycheck," he growled.

I knew exactly what he was referring to, and I didn't even need my powers for that. He was going to give me my job back if I had sex with him! I stood there for a moment and then began to laugh.

"Did you really think that I would degrade myself with YOU just to keep this lousy job?" I continued to laugh, and then I walked out.

Deep down, I was hurt and angry and fighting off tears, but I wasn't going to give him the pleasure of seeing me hurt. I left his office and went to the workroom to pack up my stuff. Karen quickly joined me, and without my saying a word, she knew what had happened.

"You want to talk about it?" asked Karen.

I nodded. "But not here," I replied softly, fighting off tears.

We agreed to meet at a bar down the street. She went back to finish cleaning up and I changed.

As I walked out of The Reef, Tom was watching me with a very smug look on his face. He obviously wanted the rest of the staff to know that he had total control of the situation and HE was the one in charge here. Dan walked over to escort me out to my car.

"Leave her alone, Dan. SHE doesn't work her anymore. She caused enough trouble around here, and she can walk herself out to her car," shouted out Tom, so that everyone could hear him.

Dan looked at Tom, smiled, and then gave him the finger and walked me out to my car.

"You don't need to do this. I don't want you to lose your job." I whispered.

Dan laughed. "No problem, Iona. I was quitting this week anyway. Besides, I've wanted to do that to Tom all summer. He's such a pompous asshole!"

I laughed too. It felt better than crying. When we got to my car, I turned and gave Dan a big hug and kiss.

"Thanks so much," I said with a smile.

"Don't worry about it, Iona. You're better than him any day," replied Dan.

I kissed him again and then got in my car and drove up the street to the bar. I wasn't upset over losing the job, it was the way Tom had tried to humiliate me. I had just learned another life lesson in being a woman.

I ordered a brandy and waited for Karen to arrive. I really needed to talk to her. She arrived a few minutes later, and I told her what had happened.

"I'd sue the asshole for sexual harassment," exclaimed Karen.

"It's not worth it; I'm just glad it's over," I answered.

"Bull! Don't lie to me, Iona. I can tell that you're pissed about this," exclaimed Karen.

I turned to look at her and found myself fighting to hold back my tears. I suddenly felt very small and vulnerable, and I really needed a hug.

Karen pulled me close, and I let it all out. I felt her hand stroking the back of my head to comfort me. As she comforted me, I began to feel a strange feeling running through my body. I was actually getting aroused! I tried to fight it, as it didn't seem appropriate.

I slowly pulled away from Karen, and then our eyes met. Something clicked between the two of us. Karen leaned over and kissed me. I offered no resistance and felt the passion growing between us. The kiss felt wonderful, and I really didn't want it to end.

Without saying a word, she took my hand and led me out to the parking lot. I was about to say something, but she put her finger to her lips and shook her head no.

I followed her to her house, which was only a few blocks away. We parked and she took my hand and escorted me into her place.

We sat on her couch and began to kiss and cuddle. Kissing Karen felt so different from any time I had kissed a woman as Roger. It was more mutual and gentle. It was also more erotic than I could have imagined. I also began to feel some guilt, not over being bisexual, but because I felt I should be faithful to Bill.

I stopped kissing her for a second. We looked at each other, and I could tell that she was as aroused as I was.

I started to talk and she interrupted.

"Iona, I know what you are going to say, please don't worry about Bill. What happens tonight between us stays between us. I love Sean too, but I think we both need this. You do want to be with me, don't you?" she asked with a smile.

"Yes, very much so. You are not forcing me into anything," I replied and I leaned over to kiss her.

That was the last time I initiated anything the rest of the evening! Karen took total control and began to undress me as we kissed. I accepted my submissive role willingly. I felt tingly all over as she removed my clothes. My nipples were very hard by the time she removed my bra. She looked at me and smiled with glee, before she slipped down and began to kiss and lick my nipples. I leaned back and moaned in pleasure. She was very good at making my nipples feel extremely good. She moved my hands to her nipples and I massaged them through her top.

Soon we were both naked, and Karen led me into the bedroom. We lay on her bed and began to kiss and cuddle. She guided my head down to her nipples and I returned the earlier pleasure she had given me. I worked a similar technique to arouse her nipples. I could tell by her moaning that I was doing a pretty good job.

Karen then reached into her nightstand and pulled out a vibrator, which was very similar to my silver wand. In fact, I giggled when I saw it!

"I take it you use one like this?" asked Karen as she held it up in front of me.

I just nodded as she turned it on and slipped it down to my very wet vagina. She worked me for what seemed like hours. She would bring me up to the point of climax and then bring me back down. It was exquisite!

She then handed the vibrator to me, and it was my turn to pleasure her. All my practice with the silver wand paid off, and I soon had Karen wiggling in pleasure. We soon had each other worked up to the point of no return. I had one of the most mind-blowing orgasms ever! The pleasure kept coming, like waves on the beach. I also made no attempt to hold in my pleasure, physically or orally. I only hoped her neighbors were sound sleepers!

We lay there in each other's arms as we came down from our mutual pleasure. It took several minutes to gain enough strength to even talk, but it was worth it.

Karen looked over at me and smiled.

"I've never seen anyone get so aroused. Girl, you are incredible!" she moaned.

I laughed and soon we were both laughing together.

"Thanks, I really needed something like that," I confessed in a soft tone.

"I could tell. I have a talent for these kinds of things," giggled Karen.

I just lay there and sighed in pleasure.

"So, I take it that you've been with a woman before?" asked Karen.

"Yes, I have, several times," I replied.

"Obviously, you are comfortable with being bi," she stated.

"My aunt says that she doesn't worry about labels, and I agree with her," I replied.

"That is a wise way of looking at the world. Don't get me wrong, I love being with a man. But there are times that I love being with another woman. Especially when she is a great friend. I want us to stay friends, Iona, even though we are not co-workers anymore," she said.

"Same here. I've never really had a close friend, like you, that I could confide in before," I said.

"Cool!" exclaimed Karen.

She then began to laugh uncontrollably. When she gained control, she turned to me and struggled to get out her words.

"You know, I would love to go into work and tell Tom what he missed out on!" she laughed.

I too started laughing hysterically. We finally calmed down, and we drifted off to sleep. I debated calling Aunt Kayla, but somehow I knew she sensed that I was okay.


Chapter Forty-One


"So, what are you going to do now?" asked Karen, while we ate breakfast.

"School starts in few weeks, so I will just relax until then," I answered.

"I wish I could do that. I don't know where I'm going to get the money for this year's tuition," said Karen in a worried tone.

"How much do you need?" I asked.

Karen looked at me as if I was joking.

"I'm serious. How much do you need?" I asked.

"15 grand for the whole year," she answered.

"Okay. I'll send you a check."

Karen looked at me with a sly smile. "What? Is this some kind of joke?"

"Nope. I have a very sizable trust fund, and I would love to help you," I replied.

Karen looked at me for a second, as if she was waiting for the punch line. She then realized that I was really offering her the money. Her eyes opened wide and a huge smile came across her face.

"You are serious. Oh, my God! Iona, you have really saved my ass!" she exclaimed, as she hugged me.

"And such a cute ass too!" I replied with a laugh.

"You don't know how relieved I am. I was debating dropping out this year. If I had known you had money, I would have seduced you sooner!" she laughed.

"Usually a seduction means one side was initially unwilling to participate," I replied.

We both laughed.

"So, why did you take that job at The Reef if you are rich?" she asked.

I explained that my aunt felt that working would be a better way to spend my summer, instead of just laying around.

"Besides, I got two great bonuses out of working at The Reef. I met Bill there, and I also met you there," I grinned.

She leaned over and kissed me.

"I promise I'll pay you back someday!" she stated.

"No rush. So what are you studying anyway?" I asked.

"Thanks to you, I will be graduating next spring with a degree in electrical engineering!" she answered proudly.

"That's cool," I replied. I only wished I had met some engineers like Karen when I was Roger.

I drove home, thinking about my evening with Karen. I didn't feel any guilt. What Karen and I had was something special between friends. Besides, I hadn't been the one to initiate it. It was good to know that I could have a sex life of my own, not controlled by the tattoo. It also gave me hope for the future. If I could learn to control this, I could have a normal sex life.

I debated on when, if ever, I should tell Bill about this. I figured that decision could wait a while. I had already told Bill that I'd had a wild life, so maybe he would be cool about my bisexuality! I would try to feel him out later on.

As expected, Aunt Kayla wasn't worried about me. I did tell her what had happened, including my evening with Karen.

"It sounds like you have a great friend in Karen," stated Aunt Kayla.

I nodded in agreement.

"Are you sure you want to let your old boss off so easily?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"The sexual harassment was vague at best, and I can't use the information I got from my powers, so it would be hard to prove. It would be his word versus mine, and I don't exactly have a great reputation," I stated.

"You're right. Too bad, I would love to make him squirm," laughed Aunt Kayla.

"Me too!" I replied.

"Oh, with all this excitement, I almost forgot! Amelia called and said she would be sending you an e-mail concerning your grandmother," said Aunt Kayla.

"You want to see it with me?" I asked.

"Actually, I'd like that. Thank you, Iona," replied Aunt Kayla.

I opened up my mail and found the message from Amelia. I clicked on it, and I found out that she had information on my family. It seems that there was a streak of power in Roger's family after all!

My great-grandmother's family had a long history of strong powers, but was very old fashioned in their beliefs. My great-grandmother, whose name was Aileen, rebelled and ran away from Scotland for the US. Once here, she got a job and tried to make a new life for herself, without using her powers. Apparently she met a man and they got married and she got pregnant. My grandmother was born after a difficult delivery, and Aileen died shortly afterwards. My great-grandfather fled due to his grief and never returned. The mid-wife who delivered my grandmother had had no choice but to put her into an orphanage.

I read on that my grandmother's true family had made no attempt to recover her, even though they learned what had happened. Apparently, they feared contamination in the family bloodline, as they didn't know who the father was. They allowed my grandmother to stay in the orphanage. Even after she was adopted, they made no attempt to contact her and inform her of her true heritage. It made me angry that they abandoned a member of the family over some stupid squabble.

Amelia suggested that I tell Jenny the truth as soon as possible. She went on to say that she wanted to set up an appointment to examine Jenny, after I told her what had happened.

"Wow!" I exclaimed.

"It is a pretty amazing story," said Aunt Kayla. "If you wish, Amelia can put you in contact with some of your family, on your magical side. You come from a distinguished family. They are still a bit clannish, but they might be interested in meeting you someday."

"Not right now. I have enough issues dealing with two heritages right now," I said with a laugh. Part of me wasn't sure if I wanted to meet the family that had abandoned my grandmother.

Aunt Kayla nodded.

"So, how do I tell Jenny?" I asked.

"From what I've seen of her, I'd say tell her straight up. I wouldn't be surprised if she already suspects something," commented Aunt Kayla.

"I agree," I answered. I checked my watch and did the three-hour time addition. "Well, no time like the present."

I picked up the phone and dialed her number. It rang three times and I was just about to hang up when she answered.

"Hey, how are you doing, little sister?" she greeted me.

"I'm doing well, thanks. How have you been?" I asked.

"You won't believe it! My art is really taking off. Ever since I met you, I have had the greatest run of creativity in my artistic career. My work is starting to get some real attention, and I don't mean just locally!" she exclaimed.

"That's great!" I answered happily.

"Maybe some of your magic rubbed off on me," she replied with a laugh.

"Funny you should say that. I need to tell you something. Are you sitting down?" I asked.

"Yes. Are you okay?" she asked.

I heard the concern in her voice.

"Yes, I'm fine. I had a complete physical recently, and it was also an examination of my powers," I said. I then told her all about the physical and the fact that I had powers that the original Iona didn't have.

"So, what does that mean?" she asked.

"It means that there is magic in our family roots. They did some research and found out that Grandmother Mary came from a magical family," I stated. I then told her about the research.

I heard a long pause on the other end of the phone. She then began to speak. "Then does that mean...."

"It means that I inherited some of her powers, and that there is a strong possibility that you also have powers," I stated as I interrupted her.

Again, there was a long pause of total silence.

"How can we tell?" she asked.

I then told her all about Amelia.

"And she would give me an exam to determine if I have any "powers"?" asked Jenny.

"Yes," I replied.

"Let's assume I do. Then what happens?" she asked.

I handed the phone to Aunt Kayla, who talked to Jenny for nearly an hour. I listened in on the other phone. Not surprisingly, Jenny wasn't that shocked. In fact, she was somewhat excited about the possibility of having some powers.

Jenny and I talked for an additional hour. I told her about losing my job and my date with Bill. There were still some things that I wasn't ready to tell her, that included Iona's past and the problems with Nick and Keir.

"I think I am more scared about you wanting to be a lawyer than over the fact that you have powers," joked Jenny.

"I figure that I might as well try a new career," I answered.

"Fair enough. However, little sister, I still sense that you are holding back some information from me. Remember, Iona, I can read you like a book," she stated.

It was my turn to be quiet. After a few seconds of thought, I decided to tell her everything. That took another hour and then some, and more than one tear was shed.

"My god, Iona! I can't imagine what you have been going through. It must be awful to be driven by such strong feelings," she said in a sympathetic tone.

"I would rather have told you in person. I didn't want you to worry about me," I answered softly.

"Don't ever worry about that. I promise you that I will always love you. And if I want to worry about you, that is my concern!" laughed Jenny.

"Thanks. I guess we've entered a whole new chapter in sibling relations," I stated.

"That's an understatement," she joked.

The total length of the call was a little over four hours, but it was worth every second. I offered to fly out for her physical, and she thanked me for my offer. It felt good to be totally honest with Jenny.

Afterwards, Aunt Kayla and I went for a walk. We talked about Jenny and Grandmother Mary and Great-Grandmother Aileen. Aunt Kayla said that many people with repressed powers were often artists or performers. The output of artistic energy may serve as a relief valve for the pent up powers. I told her that Grandmother Mary had painted beautiful watercolors. There were many in my parents' attic. I decided to ask Jenny to send me one, more than ever I wanted something from my Grandmother Mary. I also e-mailed Amelia with a few questions about Mary and Aileen.

We walked back to the house. It was exciting to suddenly know more about my past, and even more exciting was the possibility that my sister also had powers.


Chapter Forty-Two


Amelia called the next day and told me all about her conversation with Jenny.

"I really like her, Iona," said Amelia. "I will do everything possible to help her adjust to her powers."

"I appreciate that," I replied.

"Oh, by the way, I have the answers to a couple of your questions. First off, Aileen married a man named William Harris. After she died, he ran off to sea, before settling in New Zealand, where he lived out his life. He never remarried," reported Amelia.

"What about my grandmother's real name?" I asked.

"It was going to be Prudence Cathleen Harris," answered Amelia.

"Thanks. I just wanted to know," I replied in a soft tone. My mind began to drift, thinking about the things that might have been.

"I'll get back to you after I examine Jenny. I'm flying out to Ohio tomorrow," noted Amelia, snapping me back into reality.

"Have a great trip," I replied.

I spent the rest of the day reading. The books kept reinforcing that emotional control was vital in the casting of spells. It offered many techniques on how to maintain mental calmness, even when under great stress. I knew that if I met Nick again, I would have to control my emotions, or else I risked really hurting him. I was also concerned about how I would react if I ever met Keir.

My studying was interrupted by a phone call. I ran to the phone, but the answering machine got it first. I had to wait until the message was over before I could talk. It was from Dan, and he sounded concerned.

"Hey, Iona, I went by work today to pick up my stuff, and that guy who attacked you was there," said Dan in a concerned tone.

"Nick? He was at The Reef?" I exclaimed. What was he doing there? I looked down at the Caller ID and I saw that the number was Karen's.

"I'm sure of it. He was talking to Tom. I don't think they knew I was there. I heard Tom give Nick your address. So, I immediately got out of there so I could call you," stated Dan.

"Thank you so much," I replied. "By the way, are you at Karen's?"

"Yes, I'm with Karen. I didn't have your number and I knew she did. You going to be okay?" he asked. I could hear the concern in his voice.

"Yes. My home is very safe," I answered truthfully. I could only hope that he would dare show up here.

"Cool! So you have some sort of alarm system?" he asked

"Something like that," I answered.

"Okay, but if you need help, here is my phone number," said Dan. He then gave me his cell phone number. It was nice to have such good friends!

"Thanks again, Dan. You are my hero! Please be careful!" I exclaimed

"I will. By the way, it looked like Nick was injured. His right hand was all bandaged up," stated Dan.

"That is good to know. Thank you again," I answered, and then I hung up the phone.

Aunt Kayla was furious with Tom.

"He must be a very petty person to put you in danger like this. I think I may have to pay him a visit when this is all settled," stated Aunt Kayla.

"So, what do you think Nick will do next?" I asked.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he passes the information on to Keir. However, I imagine he will seek some sort of revenge against you," she said.

"What happens then?" I asked.

"That depends on what actions he takes," answered Aunt Kayla.

"Well, I do have my early warning system, so we will get a heads up should he show up," I stated.

"Let me know immediately if you detect him. Don't try to take him on by yourself," she ordered.

I nodded in agreement.


Chapter Forty-Three


I e-mailed Fiona about Nick and the possibility that he would be coming after me. I also told her that, even though I wasn't really afraid of him, I would be careful and try not to put myself in a dangerous situation.

I did have some nagging fears that he might try to hurt Aunt Kayla or Karen. I figured that Aunt Kayla wouldn't have too much trouble with him. If he hurt Karen, then he would really learn that payback is a bitch. Sorry, I just always wanted to use that line! I called Karen, but all I got was her answering machine. I figured she was at work or asleep. I debated calling Dan, but decided it was too late.

I was too tense to be aroused, but after a cup of tea, I was calm enough to go to sleep.

I sat up in bed suddenly! I looked at the clock and saw that it was 2:45 AM. I could feel that Nick was near. As I cleared the sleep out of my eyes, I concentrated and was able to determine that he was hiding over the seawall, across from our house. I could tell that he was looking at my room, and that he was going to try to break in. I didn't turn on a light, as I didn't want to alert him. I got up quietly and walked over to Aunt Kayla's room and knocked quietly.

"He's outside, across the street, hiding behind the seawall," I stated softly.

Aunt Kayla was up in a second.

"Get dressed, no sense meeting our guest in our nightgowns," whispered Aunt Kayla.

I nodded and changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I could tell that he was still there and that he was beginning to make his move. His thoughts seemed jumbled, and then I realized that he had been drinking. That would make him even more unstable, and I told Aunt Kayla this.

"Very impressive, my dear," she replied with a smile.

We sat in the garden as I updated Aunt Kayla on Nick's movements.

"Try to concentrate and see if you can determine if he is armed," requested Aunt Kayla.

I began to focus on the image of Nick, and soon I was able to determine that he was armed.

"Yes, he has a gun."

"Fine, I will take care of that," stated Aunt Kayla.

She began to chant some words.

"There, that should take care of his weapon," she stated confidently.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"I cast a spell that rendered his gun inoperative if he tries to use it against us," she replied.

"He's trying to pick the lock on the front door," I stated.

"I can hear him now," added Aunt Kayla. "Don't do anything, this one is all mine!"

We both heard the door open. Nick was trying to be quiet, but the creaking of the floorboards gave him away. He was getting closer as he worked his way through the house.

"We're out here, Nick," announced Aunt Kayla.

Nick appeared, pointing his gun at us.

"I'm only here for Iona. I don't want any trouble," growled Nick.

He was trying to be tough, but I could sense his fear.

Aunt Kayla smiled a very sly smile. "Oh, my dear boy, we often get what we don't want."

He pointed the gun at Aunt Kayla and tried to pull the trigger, but it froze, as if it was stuck. He eyes widened in fear.

"Now, sit down please," ordered Aunt Kayla. She then made a wave with her hand.

Nick immediately sat down. He seemed to be totally passive.

"Place that gun on the floor," she ordered.

Again, Nick obeyed. He also placed a small cylindrical item next to the gun. It was a speed reloader for revolvers.

"Why are you here?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"I am here to take Iona to my friend," answered Nick. He seemed shocked that he was so readily answering her questions.

"Who is your friend?" she asked.

"Doug Black," answered Nick.

So, Keir had another alias.

"Where is he?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"I don't know. I am to take Iona downtown and then call him and wait for him to show up," answered Nick.

I could sense his fear. He was very afraid of Keir.

"What do you get out of this?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"He said that I could use Iona, but not really hurt her. He said that he needed her in one piece. He promised me powers as soon as he got his restored, and then I could have Iona all to myself," answered Nick.

"So, that is what Keir is after! He wants to try to force Fiona to return his powers," commented Aunt Kayla to me.

I nodded. "So, what do we do with him?" I said, as I pointed to Nick.

"I haven't decided yet," replied Aunt Kayla. "Nick, why is your hand bandaged?"

Nick told her that it was burned. He showed it to her. I noticed she was examining the injury.

"I'm trying to determine how you did this, Iona," commented Aunt Kayla

I nodded and looked at the gun on the ground. It was a snub-nose revolver. Not too accurate, unless you were real close. I noticed that it had been fired recently, as three of the chambers were empty. Next to the gun was the speed reloader with six rounds in it. This would allow him to quickly reload the gun.

"Nick, you will forget what has happened since you entered the house. You will forget anything related to magic. Do you understand?" she asked.

"Yes," answered Nick.

"The police will be here in a few minutes and you will try to escape, but you will be unsuccessful. When you are caught, you will give a full confession to the police concerning your attempt to abduct Iona, and any other crimes you have committed. You will also give me the phone number of your friend Doug. Additionally, you will not tell Doug anything," she stated.

Nick nodded in agreement. He gave Aunt Kayla the number to contact "Doug."

Aunt Kayla picked up the phone and called the police to tell them that we had a prowler outside our house, and it looked as if he was armed. Within minutes, we heard sirens. Aunt Kayla made a sweeping motion with her hand and Nick picked up his gun and sprinted out of the house.

We watched as the police manhunt started. Even without the order to get caught, Nick wouldn't have been able to escape. The ocean blocked his escape and the hills were too steep to climb. He was soon cornered. The police bullhorns called for his surrender.

A police detective came up to the house to talk to us. We told him a sanitized version of what had happened. The detective was very interested in the fact that Nick had a gun.

"What kind of gun did he have?" he asked. "Was it a revolver or a semi-automatic?"

"It looked like a revolver; it had a short barrel; it looked like a .38," I answered.

"I see," he mumbled. He then began to go through his notes. "You say you think this was the same guy who attacked you the other night?"

"I'm positive of it. He attacked me and the bouncer at The Reef, over in PB," I replied.

"The Reef?" he asked. He flipped through his notebook.

I heard a police helicopter flying over and looked up.

"Do you know Dan Schultz?" he asked.

"Yes. He was the bouncer who Nick attacked. Why?" I asked. I was instantly filled with dread.

"He was killed earlier this evening. He was shot with a .38 at close range. I'm sorry," remarked the detective.

I felt faint and he had to steady me.

"Are you sure?" I asked. I was prying that it was all a mistake.

"Yes. Dan was found shot, along with one of the waitresses from The Reef. He apparently shielded her with his body. Her name is Karen Miller and she's in the ER. I don't know if she will make it; she was in critical condition," he noted.

I fought off being physically sick. I was instantly filled with grief and rage. The bastard had shot two of my best friends! Dan was dead, and for all I knew so was Karen.

I felt Aunt Kayla's arms around me as I began to cry. Then something happened. I focused my rage and grief towards Nick. I had never hated anyone so much in my entire life.

Aunt Kayla must have sensed what happened because I felt her grip on me tighten and then she whispered. "What did you just do?"

I wasn't sure, but suddenly the night was shattered by the sound of gunfire. I gripped Aunt Kayla tightly as I heard the shots ring through the night. The shooting lasted several seconds and then it stopped.

I didn't need the police to tell me what had happened. Nick had fired his now fully functional gun at the police, and they'd returned fire. Several rounds, any of which could have been fatal, hit him. He died within minutes from his wounds.

I wish I could have felt any remorse for the death of Nick, but that was impossible. He had killed Dan and wounded Karen, and he had paid the ultimate penalty.

I was so filled with grief for my friends. I also knew I was in trouble for my actions, but I didn't care.

After the police left, Aunt Kayla and I talked out in the garden.

"I don't condone what you did. But I can understand why you did it," commented Aunt Kayla sympathetically.

"Why did he have to shoot them?" I asked. I could feel my tears starting again. "They didn't do anything to him."

"We'll never know," she answered.

"I wish I could tell you that I'm sorry, but I can't. In fact, I'm glad he is dead. I'm only sorry that I was the cause of two friend's deaths." I then broke down in tears again. "I am sorry that I let you down."

Aunt Kayla held me as I cried.

"You're not to blame, Iona. This is Keir's fault. Still, I wish I could tell you that it will all be okay. We don't know if Karen is dead. If you want, we can go to the hospital."

I nodded, and we drove immediately to the hospital. The doctors could only tell us that the next 24 hours would be critical. I asked if I could see her and they said no. I sat in the waiting room, concentrating on Karen, sending her all the best thoughts I could. I thought about the good times I'd spent with her and the wonderful evening we had just a few days ago. I wondered if she could sense the love I was sending her.


Chapter Forty-Four


I woke the next morning on the couch in the ER. I looked over and saw Aunt Kayla sitting next to me.

"Good morning," I greeted her.

"Good morning, my dear," she answered.

I sat up and moved closer to her.

"Any word on Karen?" I asked anxiously.

"Her condition is still critical, but they think they have stabilized her," answered Aunt Kayla.

"Please don't let her die!" I pleaded. I felt tears welling up in my eyes.

Aunt Kayla held me tight. I was hoping she had some spell to save Karen.

I suddenly had a feeling in my tattoo, and I looked around and in a moment I saw Bill and Sean walking in. They both looked as if they had been up all night.

I got up and hugged both of them.

"When did you guys get here?" I asked.

"A few hours ago. Your aunt called me, and I brought Sean here," answered Bill.

Sean paced back and forth.

"Why don't you take Sean and get something to eat? We'll wait here in case the doctor comes out," suggested Aunt Kayla.

"Good idea, Kayla. Thank you," said Bill. "You two want anything?"

We both shook our heads, and I watched as they walked away.

"I called the number Nick gave us. It went to a cell phone with a disconnected number," explained Aunt Kayla. "However, we now know that Keir is close. I called Fiona, and she is flying out here with one of her investigators."

I sat there thinking about that night's tragedy. I felt nothing for Nick. He was dead, and I was glad. I mourned Dan and prayed for Karen. I was also filled with guilt, as if this was entirely my fault. I also wondered how much trouble I was in for getting Nick killed.

"So, am I under arrest now?" I asked Aunt Kayla.

"Oh, no! Honey, what you did was wrong, but very understandable. Can you tell me more about how you did it?" she asked.

"I was just filled with rage and anger at Nick. I focused my emotions on him. I don't remember telling him to 'go postal' on the police," I replied.

"That's what I thought. There will be an investigation, but I wouldn't worry about it. At the most, you'll get a warning. You were under severe stress at the time," commented Aunt Kayla.

"Thanks. I still can't believe that Dan is dead," I said softly. I felt my grief kicking in again. I tried to put out of my mind the possibility that Karen might die. I kept sending her positive thoughts. I thought of the fun times we'd had together; the sailing party, the dinner, and the wonderful love we shared.

It was all so pointless. Keir's revenge was spreading out and inflicting pain on so many innocent people. It had to come to an end! I vowed that I would do anything in my power to stop him. I also knew that I had to pay a visit to a certain club manager.


Chapter Forty-Five


Karen was hanging on, but just barely. The doctor said that she would need more surgery, as soon as they stabilized her condition. I nodded and began to internally chant again for her survival.

Bill and Sean returned and joined us in our vigil. No one spoke much, we just sat there lost in our thoughts for Karen's survival.

Aunt Kayla suggested that I go back home, but I refused. I vowed to stay until I knew Karen would make it. She nodded and told me that she would run home and get me a change of clothes. She also wanted to check on the progress of Karen's family. They had been delayed due to weather and were trying to get out as soon as possible.

Bill thanked her, and he also tried to get me to leave with her. He also surrendered to the fact that I wasn't leaving. A few minutes later, a man in a tailored suit walked into the waiting area and waved to Bill. He stood up and shook hands with him.

"Iona, this is Detective Ross, and he needs to ask you a few more questions," announced Bill.

I looked up and nodded.

"I know you are distraught, but I have a couple of questions," he asked as he sat down next to me.

Bill and Sean excused themselves. I understood that it was necessary, as I was now part of the investigation. Det. Ross took out a notebook and smiled at me.

"Tell me about your relationship with Nick Bass," queried Det. Ross.

"I first met him a few years ago, back in Boston. I was 18 and in the middle of a major rebellion stage. Nick treated me like an adult, and I fell for him. We were together for a few weeks, and then split up. We did get back together again a few times to party. The last time was late last year," I replied.

Det. Ross nodded and continued to write.

"The last time I saw him was last year, back in New York City. Nick was different. He was strange and, to be honest, he frightened me. I also wanted to get my life back in order. I began to get e-mail from him a few weeks ago. I never responded to him. The next time I saw him was in the parking lot at The Reef," I stated.

"Tell me about Dan Schultz calling you yesterday," asked Det. Ross.

I told him what had happened.

"You say the message from Dan may have been recorded?" asked Det. Ross.

"Yes, I didn't get to the phone until the answering machine turned on. I never bothered to erase it," I answered.

"I would like to listen to it. I can't believe that your manager just gave out your address to this man," stated Det. Ross.

"Well, Tom was angry when he fired me," I answered. I then told him about the circumstances of my firing.

Det. Ross shook his head in disbelief.

"We know Nick was in Karen's apartment and that the caliber of the handgun matches the one Nick had. We are waiting for ballistics lab results for final positive confirmation. We also have Nick's fingerprints all over her apartment," he added.

"You think that Nick followed Dan to Karen's house?" I asked, even though I knew the answer.

"That's what it looks like. We can place the time of the shooting to shortly after Dan called you," stated Det. Ross.

I felt a wave of grief, anger, and guilt sweep through my body. Once again, I began to chant internally for Karen's recovery.

"I am sorry about your friends. I also wish there was something I could do about your ex-boss, but we can't prosecute someone just because he's a jerk," he remarked with a smirk.

I broke out in a small smile.

"I will still swing by The Reef and interview him. At least I can make him feel guilty," whispered Det. Ross to me. "I know you feel bad, but you are not responsible. Nick Bass was involved in some really bad things. You're lucky he didn't abduct you."

"Thanks."

"I will send an officer by your home to get the recording. Is your aunt at home?" he asked.

"I think so," I replied. I picked up my cell phone and called her.

She said that she was out running some errands and that she would be home in the next twenty minutes. I passed the info to Det. Ross.

Det. Ross got up and thanked me, before walking away. Bill appeared a few minutes later.

"You impressed Ed Ross," stated Bill, as he walked up to me.

I looked up at him and tried to speak, but I was soon overwhelmed by my emotions. Thankfully, Bill saw my need to be hugged, and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Why don't you let me drive you home so you can get some sleep?" suggested Bill. "You look exhausted!"

"I can't. I want to be here as soon as she wakes up," I stated optimistically.

Bill looked at me and was about to say something, but I interrupted him.

"Don't even think that! She will recover!" I stated firmly, as if it was a fact. "Karen's family won't get here until this evening. WHEN Karen wakes up, I want her to see a familiar face."

Bill knew that it was a waste of time to try to talk me out of staying.

"I sent Sean home. Iona, I have to run by the office, but I will be back in a few hours. Call me if anything happens. Hang in there, honey," he stated, in a sympathetic tone.

We hugged again, and I watched him walk away.

The next couple of hours passed very slowly. Aunt Kayla arrived and was carrying a bag of food. It was Chinese takeout, and she had brought enough for a small army.

"I want you to eat something. Starving yourself won't help Karen," she insisted.

"Actually, I am famished!" I replied. I really was hungry, and I ate eagerly.

As we ate, I noticed that the TV was showing the local news. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 5:00 PM! I had lost all track of time.

"Look, The Reef is on the TV!" I exclaimed.

"There was another interesting twist in the bizarre shootings last night in Pacific Beach and Sunset Cliffs. Tom Martin, the manager of The Reef, the popular Pacific Beach nightspot, and employer of the two young shooting victims, was arrested a few minutes ago. Police have not released many details, but the arrest appears to be unrelated to the shootings. We will get back to you as soon as we know more," commented the reporter.

I looked over at Aunt Kayla and she gave me a smile and her best "I had nothing to do with this" look. I didn't believe her for a moment!

A few minutes later, the reporter was back on the tube interviewing Det. Ed Ross, who announced the circumstances surrounding Tom's arrest. Apparently, Tom had been dealing drugs and was caught while he was trying to move them out of The Reef. He was caught with nearly two pounds of cocaine as Det. Ross arrived. Det. Ross said Tom was in such a hurry to leave that he made no attempt to hide it. Tom appeared to be caught totally off guard by the arrival of the police. Det. Ross commented that it was the easiest arrest he'd ever made in his life.

I looked over at Aunt Kayla and smiled. "I think I know what errands you were running," I quipped.

"I just had a little talk with Mr. Martin. The drugs are the least of his worries. Apparently, he was also laundering money for some very nasty people. I'm always amazed about the secrets in these people's lives," she answered. "I also did this because I didn't want you charging in there seeking revenge."

I pointed at my chest. "Who me?" I asked.

"Seriously, we will need to talk about your powers," answered Aunt Kayla in a serious tone. "I talked to Amelia and she's also concerned."

I sat there in silence.

"Your powers are apparently becoming much stronger, and we're worried that you may have trouble controlling them," added Aunt Kayla.

"Why are my powers becoming so strong?" I asked.

"We are not sure, but it may be due to the combining of powers. Body-swap cases like yours are rare. Amelia is researching it; there haven't been any similar events," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Will they get totally out of control?" I asked.

"You will have to be very careful until you have learned to master them," stated Aunt Kayla. "I have full confidence that you will master your powers."

"I understand... and thank you for your belief in me."

We sat there and waited and waited and waited.

Bill and Sean walked into the waiting area and joined us.

"Any word?" asked Sean anxiously.

"Nothing yet," I said.

"I guess you heard about your ex-boss," said Bill, pointing to the TV.

"Yes, too bad," I replied sarcastically and glanced over at Aunt Kayla, who smiled back at me.

Bill and Sean sat down next to us. Sean looked like hell. I guess he really was in love with Karen.

"I wish they would let us know SOMETHING!" I exclaimed, figuring I was thinking the same thing as everyone else.

Almost instantly a doctor came through the doors. Thank you, powers!

"I have some encouraging news. While Karen is not out of the woods yet, she is stable following her surgery. I think we may have saved her," explained the doctor. "She's very tough."

Apparently the bullets had caused a lot of internal injuries. One went through her chest and lodged near her spinal cord, but they were able to remove it. There didn't appear to be any damage to the spinal cord. Her right lung was damaged, and she was on a respirator. The other shot had gone into her abdomen and caused severe internal bleeding. The doctor honestly said that he was shocked that she was still alive.

"Is she awake?" I asked hopefully.

"We are keeping her sedated for now. It is best that she doesn't move around too much. Please go home, you should be able to see her in the morning," answered the doctor in a sympathetic tone.

I debated staying there anyway, but was overridden by everyone! I thanked the doctor and gave him a big hug.

We stood out in the parking lot and said goodnight. The cool evening air felt so good.

Bill turned to me and began to speak. "They allow visitors starting at 8:00 AM, and I assume that you will be here...."

"As soon as they let me in," I interrupted with a smile.

Bill smiled back. "It is good to see you smile again." He then kissed me. It felt good.

I hugged Sean and kissed Bill goodbye. Aunt Kayla retrieved the car and drove up to us. I waved goodbye and got in the car. I fell asleep before we left the parking lot.


Chapter Forty-Six


I woke up the next morning in my bed. Even though I'd had a full night's sleep, I felt exhausted. Glancing over at the clock, I saw it was only 6:00 AM, but I got up anyway. The shower felt wonderful, and I felt a bit more refreshed. I looked awful. I was getting dark circles under my eyes and I looked gaunt.

I went downstairs and fixed myself some breakfast. I was famished and needed more than my normal tea and muffin. I'd begun to cook some scrambled eggs and bacon when Aunt Kayla came downstairs.

"How are you doing this morning, my dear?" she asked.

"Great. I'm exhausted and hungry, but no longer depressed," I replied. "Would you like some eggs?"

"Sounds great," she answered. "I'll set the table."

Breakfast hit the spot. I felt as if my energy levels were returning to normal. I mentioned this to Aunt Kayla.

"That is not uncommon. Whenever you use your powers, you use energy, just like exercise," she explained. "But you need to ease up. It's obvious that this is a huge strain on your body."

"Should I feel this tired after what I did to Nick?" I asked.

"You are not tired from that, my dear," she answered. "I saw you in the waiting room. I could tell that you were trying to send your friend positive feelings."

"Yes, that's true, but I wasn't using my powers," I answered, as I reached for a muffin.

"Are you sure? You heard the doctor; he was amazed that she was able to make it through the surgery. Iona, you didn't save her, but you did give her a boost that allowed her body to survive," commented Aunt Kayla. "I am very proud of you."

I knew she wasn't kidding me. I liked the idea of using my powers for life, instead of death.

"Fiona will be arriving soon, along with her investigator, and she will meet us at the hospital. I also got a call from Karen's family. Their flight was delayed again, and they should get here this afternoon. They appreciated your staying with Karen yesterday," announced Aunt Kayla.

I nodded. "Who is this investigator, and what will he be doing?" I asked.

"His name is Connor, and he is the best. In fact, he was pulled off another case to assist on this one. He is here to assist in the apprehension of Keir. He'll have to interview you, but you can trust him completely," replied Aunt Kayla with a smile. I noticed a sudden change in the tone of her voice.

I smiled. "Obviously you know him," I quipped with a smile.

"Yes, I've worked with him a few times," answered Aunt Kayla.

"That's not what I meant. You like him. It's so obvious that I don't even need my powers,' I said with a smile.

She smiled back. "Yes, I like him."

I was glad to see Aunt Kayla happy.

I arrived at the hospital and assumed my spot on the couch. At least I'd brought something to read this time. I'd had my fill of six-year-old magazines. I waited to find out Karen's status. After twenty minutes, a doctor came out and updated me on her situation.

"Karen has continued to grow stronger through the night. Her recovery is quite remarkable. She is breathing on her own now and has movement in all her limbs. Naturally, she is in a lot of pain and will have a long recovery. She was awake earlier, but is still very groggy. I think seeing a familiar face would be good for her."

I followed him into her room. I tried to prepare myself for the worst, but I was still shocked when I saw her. She had tubes and wires coming off her body. While she could breathe on her own, they had her on oxygen. Her eyes were closed, and I quietly sat down near her bed.

I had to keep reminding myself that I had to be strong for her, and it took all my willpower not to start crying. The nurse came in and smiled at me as she recorded Karen's vitals. The nurse looked at me and nodded as she hung up the chart.

I sat quietly next to Karen. I began to chant again, at first to myself, but then I began to do it out loud. I wished I knew a real healing spell, like the one Aunt Kayla used on my leg. I reached over and gently took her hand in mine.

Time passed and the nurse returned and checked on Karen again.

"Your friend is quite a fighter. We almost lost her several times yesterday, but she always found a way to rebound," said the nurse softly.

"That doesn't surprise me. She's very brave," I replied. Braver than me, I thought to myself.

"Her breathing is getting stronger and so is her blood pressure. I think she'll make it," added the nurse.

"I don't see it any other way," I stated, as the nurse walked out.

I returned to my seat and started my blessing chant again. Maybe she could hear my voice and it would give her support.

I must have drifted off myself, because the opening of the door startled me. The doctor walked in and checked her chart.

"How's she doing?" I whispered.

"Improving. I'm always appalled by the damage of bullets. It is amazing the amount of damage the human body can take and survive," he commented.

"With a lot of your help too," I added. "Thank you for all you and your staff did to save her. She didn't deserve this."

He looked over at me and smiled. "You're welcome. By the way, I must admit that you are looking better than the last time I saw you."

"I don't think we've met," I answered. I looked at his nametag; it read Dr. Jason Gray. It didn't ring any bells.

"I doubt if you would remember me. I was in the ER when you came in from that car accident, and I never forget a stunning redhead!" he replied with a wink.

"Wow! Well then, I owe you another thank you," I replied. I felt myself blushing. He was pretty cute.

"I wasn't sure it was you at first. I am amazed you are up on that leg. We thought you might lose it," he commented.

"I have a great physical therapist," I answered, rubbing my hand along my leg.

"I'm sure you do," he replied with a smile.

"Flirting with the doctor? I don't think Bill will like that," interrupted Karen in a weak, soft voice.

I turned around to see her eyes barely open and a very slight smile on her face. I felt my emotions swelling, and I had to hold them back. The last thing I wanted to do was burst out crying.

"Hey there, friend," I answered softly.

I walked over and took her hand in mine. Her grip was so weak.

The doctor smiled and asked her a few questions.

"How is Dan?" she asked.

I looked at the doctor. I didn't know if I should tell her the truth. He looked back and nodded and mouthed, "Be honest."

I looked back and before I could speak she nodded.

"Dan's dead isn't he? He shielded me and gave his life for me," spoke Karen, her voice was so soft.

"I know," I parroted.

"I knew you were here, Iona," she stated.

"Of course, I'd be here with you," I answered with a smile.

"No, you were with me the whole time. You comforted me and helped me fight," she said softly. "I could feel your presence the whole time."

"Hey, you're my best friend. I can't afford to lose you," I answered, fighting off my tears.

She closed her eyes and drifted back to sleep.

"That's a good sign," commented Dr. Gray. "I'm glad you were here when she woke up."

"And I'll be here when she wakes up again," I replied, and I sat down next to her bed. I continued to hold her hand.

Karen drifted in and out of sleep for the next several hours. Actually, I lost all track of time.

Each time Karen woke up, she seemed a little stronger. I continued my chanting as I held her hand. I then sensed that Aunt Kayla had arrived with Fiona. The waiting area seemed to be at the limit of my range, even though I didn't think it was that far away. I concentrated and was able to determine that Bill and Sean were there too. I could then sense that Sean was getting closer. I pretended to act surprised when the nurse brought him in. I hugged him, and he took my place by Karen's side. I walked out to the waiting area.

I saw Bill talking to Fiona. It just hit me that my boyfriend was talking to my mom! I didn't see Aunt Kayla, and I sensed she was down the hall.

"Hi! I'm so glad to see you!" I announced as I entered.

Both Fiona and Bill got up to greet me. There was some momentary confusion, and then laughter.

"We were just making small talk. I didn't know she was your mother; although I should have guessed, you both have the same eyes!" Bill stated.

"Mom, this is Bill," I said, introducing them.

There was the usual round of hugs and kisses.

"How's Karen?" asked Bill.

"Improving. I think seeing Sean will help a lot. She really loves him," I replied.

"Kayla is getting some coffee with Connor," said Fiona.

I nodded. I was starting to feel very tired and craved sleep.

"You okay?" asked Fiona.

"Umm... yes. I'm just really tired. You know how it is," I replied.

Fiona nodded knowingly. "Kayla said that you stayed here all day yesterday."

"Not the whole day. They kicked us out around nine," I replied, fighting back a yawn.

"Let me take you home. You can't do anything else today," remarked Bill.

"I'm fine," I answered.

Bill just rolled his eyes. "Has she always been so stubborn?" he asked Fiona.

"No, usually she's worse," answered Fiona, with a wicked smile on her face.

"Okay, I get it. Let me see Karen one more time, after Sean leaves, and then I'll give up and go home," I replied, realizing that I was fighting a losing battle.

Aunt Kayla was approaching and within a few moments entered the room. Fiona noticed my sensory power and winked at me.

Aunt Kayla introduced me to Connor. I could understand why she liked him. Connor was very handsome. He was 6-3, 185 lbs, with short dark brown hair and dark piercing eyes. He looked a bit like a young Sean Connery, and he had the same type of killer smile.

Connor was introduced as a private investigator working for Fiona. I let Fiona tell the "tale." She told Bill that she was working on a case that involved Nick. She went on to say how they were fairly sure that Nick was involved in several disappearances of young women, and they suspected that he was meeting his contact here in San Diego. Basically, it was a true story! She just left the magic parts out!

Bill asked Connor if the DA's office could be of assistance. Connor said he would like to see their files on Nick. Bill said he would see what he could do. Considering that the DA was one of us, I knew that Bill would get permission.

Sean came out and looked very relieved. I went back to Karen's room, and I was amazed at how much better she looked.

"I take it seeing Sean was good medicine," I laughed as I took her hand.

"More than you can imagine," she answered in weak voice

"Your parents should be here soon. Their flight was delayed due to weather," I said.

"That's good," replied Karen. "Did they catch Nick?"

"He's dead. The police shot him as he tried to escape after trying to kidnap me," I answered.

"He's dead? Good," answered Karen.

"Also, Tom was arrested for dealing drugs," I added. I figured she was entitled to the whole story.

"Things are looking up," yawned Karen.

"I'd better let you sleep. I will be back tomorrow," I announced. I caught her yawn and replied with a large one of my own.

"Thank you for being here," she replied. "I don't know how, but I know you were with me during the surgery."

I leaned over and kissed her on the forehead.

"See ya tomorrow," I stated.

"I'm not going anywhere," she quipped, and then she drifted back to sleep.

I walked out and found everyone talking to a middle aged couple. I knew in an instant that they were Karen's parents. Her father's name was Joe, and her mother was named Judy. They were tired, but happy that Karen was improving.

We were introduced and hugged. Karen's mom went in first

"Karen has told us a lot about you, Iona," Mr. Miller stated. "She called and told us about your offer to help her pay her tuition. That is really nice."

"I meant it too. Karen is my best friend, and I will do whatever it takes to help her," I replied. I was feeling more tired by the second.

"Your aunt explained what happened. I just want you to know that we don't blame you for what happened, Iona," said Joe.

"Thanks," I said, and I hugged him.

I looked at Aunt Kayla and yawned.

"Come on, my dear. I'd better get you home before you fall asleep right here," said Aunt Kayla.

I didn't argue and I mumbled my goodbyes. Bill walked out with us and kissed me goodnight. I was asleep before Aunt Kayla got into the car.


Chapter Forty-Seven


I woke up the next morning feeling exhausted. I knew I had to get up, and I struggled to get going. My fatigue was showing more. I didn't look very good and felt tired throughout my entire body. I slowly showered and dressed and went downstairs. Aunt Kayla was already up and was eating breakfast with Fiona and Connor.

"Good morning, everyone," I mumbled.

"Iona, why don't you go back to bed?" suggested Aunt Kayla.

"I need to go over and see Karen. I can sleep later," I answered.

"Iona, obviously you have overused your powers. The only way to recover is to get some rest," added Fiona.

I smiled. "I'm not trying to be a martyr; I just need to see that Karen is doing okay, and then I will rest."

"If you don't mind, I would like to ride over with you, Iona," asked Connor.

I knew that he wanted to ask me some questions. "Sure, sounds good."

I felt a bit better after I ate. I had never felt this kind of fatigue before.

As we drove to the hospital, Connor asked me some basic questions. I noticed he didn't write anything down. I asked him about this.

"I have a phonographic memory. I remember, and can recite verbatim, everything I hear. It helps in my line of work," he replied. "It must be difficult for you to have two sets of memories."

"It can be hard at times. I have to remember who I am talking to before I say something." I answered.

He smiled. "I must say that you pull it off nicely. I would have never guessed that you had ever been male," he stated almost matter-of-factly.

"I'm adapting," I replied.

"How well can you call up Iona's original memories?" he asked.

"I can recall most things. Although I have no memories of Keir, or whatever he is calling himself today," I remarked.

"Fiona told me of the protection spell incorporated in the tattoo. I would like to examine it, if you don't mind," he added.

"If it helps catch Keir; sure, I don't have a problem with that," I answered. Although it would be strange to have a man look at the tattoo, considering where it was.

"I promise to be discreet. I want to see if I can determine how old it is. Fiona said that Iona began to rebel right before her eighteenth birthday. If this is true, then there will be another charge against Keir," he remarked.

"I can remember having sex before my eighteenth birthday," I answered.

Connor glanced at me. "We can go over all this another time. I'm sorry, you are under enough stress as it is," he apologized.

"I don't mind. The sooner we catch Keir the better. He is the one responsible for my stress," I replied angrily.

"Good. I was hoping you were a fighter. I may need to ask you to do something dangerous. If Keir contacts you again, I'd like you to agree to meet him," he asked.

"So, I would be the bait?" I asked.

"That is one way of looking at it. I prefer to consider it as you helping me set up an ambush," replied Connor with a smile. "Seriously, it may be dangerous. Keir doesn't have any powers, but he is very intelligent. Don't rush into your answer."

"I WANT to do it," I said seriously.

"Back off, Iona. This is being done to apprehend him, we are not executioners!" he stated firmly.

"I know. While I have every right to seek revenge against him, I'll work within the rules, but I reserve the right to defend myself," I answered.

"Fair enough. But, I'd hate to have to bring you up on charges. You are already on thin ice for what you did to Nick. Although, I must admit it was done nicely," commented Connor.

"I wish I knew how I did that, so I can control it in the future. Aunt Kayla said that I may act like a release and make people do what they'd thought about doing. Does that make sense?" I asked.

"Yes, it does. I've known a few other people with that power. It comes with a lot of responsibility, but you'll learn to control it; it just takes time," he reassured me.

We arrived at the hospital. Connor said that he would be back later, that he had to go check out some leads. I waved goodbye and walked to the waiting area.

I ran into Karen's parents. We hugged, and they told me that Karen was continuing to improve.

"They are changing her dressings right now. She'll be glad to see you, Iona," Karen's mom informed me.

"Thanks... Mrs. Miller," I answered in a tired voice. I couldn't bring myself to call her Judy.

"Are you okay, dear?" she asked.

"I'm just tired." I answered. I knew that I looked like crap.

"Please look after yourself, getting sick won't do Karen any good," added Mr. Miller.

I appreciated their concern. They seemed like really nice people, just like their daughter.

When I finally got to see Karen, she looked better. She smiled when she saw me.

"Good morning, friend," I greeted softly. I walked over and took her hand and sat down.

"I feel a lot better. I know I will make it now, and I owe a lot of it to you," replied Karen. Her voice was stronger. I could sense that she was going to make it.

"They must have you on some good drugs. I didn't do anything for you," I answered. I'm the one who got you shot in the first place, I thought.

"Seriously, Iona. I don't know how to describe this, but I felt something while you were with me. I know I was asleep most of the time, but you did something to help me," she explained.

"Okay, I won't argue with you. I am just glad you are doing better," I answered.

"I dreamed about our evening together. It made me feel good and gave me added drive to survive and do it again," she smiled. She then winked at me.

"Let's keep that to ourselves," I quipped.

"Deal," she replied softly.

I stayed with her for several hours before Sean arrived. I told her I would be back the next day, and she smiled and waved goodbye. As I walked out, I noticed that my tattoo barely went off. I also didn't feel as aroused.

I called Aunt Kayla and waited for her to pick me up. I had to fight to stay awake. I was relieved to see her pull up.

I fought staying awake the whole way home. I also told her about my detection powers being weak.

"I'm not surprised. You are slowly draining yourself. This is why most of us with healing powers don't go into medicine," explained Aunt Kayla. "If we try to heal everyone, we slowly lower our power levels and open ourselves up to illness. I want you to spend the rest of the day in bed. You need to recharge your powers."

"No argument here!" I yawned as I fought off sleep. "I've never felt this sort of fatigue before in my life. No, that's not completely true. Iona once felt this way. I can sense it."

"Interesting," replied Aunt Kayla.

I wanted to make it into the house under my own power for a change. I lost my battle with sleep a half-mile from our house.

I spent the next several hours in a deep sleep. I got up to grab a bite to eat, and then I went back to sleep. I repeated this several times over the rest of the day. I slept soundly through the whole night.

The following morning, I woke up feeling much better. I went downstairs and greeted Aunt Kayla and Fiona. I didn't see Connor.

"You look much better, Iona," said Fiona.

"Thanks, I feel better too." The circles weren't as dark under my eyes.

Over breakfast, they told me how any mass or prolonged use of our powers would result in fatigue, making us very vulnerable. I told them about my memory of Iona once feeling like this.

"Do you think that's how Keir got control of Iona in the first place?" I asked. "I feel that she once was more fatigued than I felt yesterday."

Fiona said that, before she started to change, Iona was using her powers a lot as she learned to expand them. It was a possibility that Keir had influenced her while her powers were depleted.

"You'll need to be careful for the next few days, Iona. It will take you several days to get your powers back up to100 percent," warned Aunt Kayla.

I nodded.

After breakfast, I headed upstairs to check my e-mail. There were several from Jenny. She was concerned for me. I replied and told her that I would call later today.

I wrote Amelia and told her everything that had happened.

I then opened up Iona's e-mail. There were several messages from someone calling himself "Doug Black." Obviously it was Keir.

I opened up the first one and read it.

"Dearest Iona, I must apologize for Nick's bungled attempt to abduct you. I misjudged his eagerness to please me. In no way do I condone what he did. I want to see you again. You have been told many lies about me, and I need to set the story straight. I will be in contact with you soon. Love, Keir."

I then opened the next one. It was a bit more interesting.

"Dearest Iona, I will be sending you a gift. Actually, I'm returning something that you left with me the last time we were together. I'll be in contact with you soon. I'll give you pleasure you cannot imagine. I'm curious as to why you have shied away from the life you so craved just a few months ago. Don't worry, Iona, it'll soon be back to the way it used to be. Love, Keir."

I cringed at the last line of his message. The last thing I wanted was to live the life that Iona had been living. I printed out copies of each and took them down to Fiona and Aunt Kayla.

"Connor will find these very interesting," noted Fiona.

"I wonder what Keir is going to send you," pondered Aunt Kayla.

I wondered what it was myself.


Chapter Forty-Eight


Connor talked to me for several hours about Keir and the tattoos. He showed me a similar protection tattoo on his back, which heightened his senses. He said it was very useful in his line of work. He said that he expected Keir to make his move in the next couple of days.

"I don't want to make the same mistake we made with Nick. I want this to end now," I stated.

"I understand," replied Connor.

Both Aunt Kayla and Fiona were present when he examined my tattoo. My powers were returning to their full strength, and so was my sense of arousal. I hadn't needed to use the silver wand the past few days, but that short vacation was about to end. I didn't feel as bad getting aroused this time, at least there was a man touching me and not just my aunt and mother, which had really creeped me out!

"He did a wonderful job on this. I see no way around his security spells," commented Connor.

"I'm glad you approve of his work," I laughed.

"Sorry, Iona. But from a strictly professional viewpoint, it is excellent work," he added.

"I guess I am stuck with it," I lamented.

"I might be able to find out how to reverse the effects with Keir's assistance," stated Connor, offering some hope.

"Do you think he would cooperate?'" asked Fiona.

"I will 'persuade' him to help," quipped Connor.

"I hope your methods are painful to him," I added.

"We aren't talking torture here, Iona," laughed Aunt Kayla.

"I know. A girl can wish, can't she?" I joked.

"So, can you tell its age?" asked Fiona.

"I'd say around three years old. There's a possibility that Iona got it before she was eighteen," stated Connor.

I was allowed to dress, and then I went over to the hospital to see Karen. I was pleased to see that she was steadily improving and her status had been upgraded. I decided to let her body heal itself from now on. I had helped her through the worst, and now it was up to her to finish the job. I needed to be fully recharged for Keir. I didn't want to be caught off guard like Iona had been the first time.

I stayed with her for several hours, and it was good to see the old boisterous Karen slowly returning!

I got a phone call from Aunt Kayla, telling me that Fiona and Connor had been called away on an emergency, and she was driving them to the airport. I was sorry that I didn't get to see more of Fiona. I was also sad that Aunt Kayla didn't get more time with Connor.

Driving home, I began to think of Bill and how badly I wanted to go out with him. Maybe I should initiate a date. After all, he did promise me a night out. A night out - I could really use one right about now!

I arrived at the house and saw a large box sitting on the front step. It was addressed to me. The return address was from a local mailing company. I didn't feel any danger from the box. I picked it up and carried it inside. This had to have been from Keir. I debated what to do. I called Aunt Kayla, and she said that Fiona and Connor had just left and that I should wait until she returned before I opened it up.

I sat there looking at the box. A strange feeling began to come over me concerning the box. It wasn't just curiosity; rather, it was as if I was drawn to the box. I found I could fight it, but it was growing stronger. I also felt myself getting aroused. My nipples began to harden, and I could feel myself getting wet. I felt like I had on the flight back with the original Iona. I found myself getting up and walking towards the box. I just had to see what was inside. What harm could there be in that?


Chapter Forty-Nine


Against the best wishes of Aunt Kayla, I opened up the box. Inside, there was an entire black leather outfit. As soon as I touched it, I knew instantly that it was mine, or rather, that it had belonged to Iona.

There was a very short skirt, a thong, a garter-belt, stockings, a top with detachable covers for my breasts, and a pair of thigh-high leather high heel boots. Additionally there were a cape, a collar, wrist cuffs, and locks included. There were no keys. I noticed that the boots had steel rings built right into them, near the ankles. The entire outfit had obviously been custom made for Iona.

At the bottom of the box was a cell phone. I didn't touch it, and I slowly put the clothes back in the box. I was tempted - rather, make that compelled to put the outfit on, but I fought it off. The feeling wasn't very strong, but I instinctively knew that it would get more powerful.

I pushed the box away. Tully approached and sniffed the box and recoiled in fear. She hissed at the box and ran away. That was a strange reaction, I thought.

I fixed a mug of tea and sat out in the garden. The urges stopped as soon as I entered the garden. Someday, Aunt Kayla would have to tell me all about this garden! I was relieved when I sensed the approach of Aunt Kayla. She entered a minute later. Good! That meant my powers were almost recharged! I told Aunt Kayla that my powers were back to full strength.

"I see that you couldn't wait," she exclaimed, looking at the open box.

"Sorry," I apologized. I then explained the urges that I'd felt.

Aunt Kayla nodded and then she examined the outfit. Like me, she didn't touch the cell phone. There was something about it that was spooky.

"I must admit that this is wonderful work, as far as fetish clothing goes. You're positive that you've worn this before?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Yes. I've worn it many times, although it is still cloudy as to when and where," I answered. I decided not to ask Aunt Kayla how she knew about the quality of fetish clothing.

She retrieved her UV light and ran it over the outfit. There were slight UV stains on the garter-belt area, and on the inside of the skirt. I must have worn this when I'd had the tattoo applied.

"Is the outfit enchanted, or whatever the right term is?" I asked.

"I don't know. I can run a few tests on it. Let me check the whole thing with the UV light," she answered.

I watched as she ran the light slowly over every item, both inside and outside. There was a line of writing around the waist of the skirt. Aunt Kayla got her book of Celtic spell translations and began her search.

"Is that the latest edition of that book?" I asked, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Yes, it's the 1789 version," she quipped back.

I moved further away from the clothes. I could feel the urge to try them on growing; however, it was still weak enough to fight.

"Here it is. Oh, this is a nasty one. It will make the wearer submissive and obedient. Additionally, it will make you strongly attracted to wearing the outfit. Luckily, it is not a strong spell and, with your powers back at full strength, you should be able to fight it," stated Aunt Kayla.

"You are not suggesting that I wear this stuff?" I asked. Although, I had to admit that I was slightly excited about wearing the outfit, especially the boots.

"Obviously, Keir sent these to you, and he will contact you on the phone. I imagine he will want you to wear them as you go to meet him. The attraction spell you feel was obviously designed for Iona, because I don't feel anything. Just like the tattoo, it is a custom spell, designed for Iona's powers, not yours. You can use this to your advantage. Keir will not expect you to be able to escape his spells," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Should we let Fiona and Connor know about this?" I asked.

"Yes, I will call them immediately. Why don't you move back into the garden for now? I'll pack up this stuff," she suggested.

I agreed, and I watched from the kitchen as she called Fiona and Connor. I hoped they got back here as soon as possible. I could sense that events were starting to speed up.

Aunt Kayla placed the box in a chest in the living room and then locked it.

"That will delay you, should you become overwhelmed by the spell, and give me time to stop you," explained Aunt Kayla.

I nodded in agreement. "So, when will they get back here?"

"Not until tomorrow evening," answered Aunt Kayla.

"I have a feeling that will be too late," I added.

Aunt Kayla reached into her purse and handed me a pair of earrings. They were simple post earrings with what looked like a black stone mounted in each.

"These will allow me to track you. The stones will provide me with a signal to my matching pair," she said, as she pointed to her own earrings.

I began to put them on, and almost immediately I could sense Aunt Kayla.

"These are pretty cool. What is their range?" I asked.

"One to two miles, depending on the geography," she answered.

We fixed dinner together. If I had to face Keir, at least I would do it on a full stomach.


Chapter Fifty


I called Jenny after dinner, and we had a long talk. I told her of the possible impending meeting with Keir. She said that she wished she could get out here to be with me. I asked how her examination had gone. She laughed and said that Amelia had told her that, with work, she would be able to develop some interesting powers, including the influence spell. She also said that she had strong ESP skills, but I already knew that! I warned her about the negative effects of over-using your powers.

I also called and talked to Bill. Okay, maybe part of me was worried that I might not win in my fight with Keir. Bill was able to sense that I was worried about something.

"Something's bothering you, and it isn't just Karen's injuries. Does this have anything to do with your mother and Connor?" he asked.

Here was a key point in our relationship. So far, I had never really lied to Bill. Yes, I had stretched the truth, but this was different. I thought about it for a moment and then went for broke.

"Yes, it does. But, I'd rather not talk about it on the phone. Can you come over here?" I asked.

"I'm on my way," he said.

I hung up the phone and then went downstairs and joined Aunt Kayla in the garden.

"Did I do the right thing?" I asked Aunt Kayla, "And don't say it doesn't matter now because it is...."

"Water under the bridge?" interrupted Aunt Kayla with a smile, completing my sentence.

"Yes, exactly," I added, with a slight smile.

"If you truly love Bill, then you would have to tell him eventually. To keep the truth from him wouldn't be fair to either of you. Yes, it is a risk, but if he really loves you then it won't matter," she explained.

"Do I tell him everything?" I asked, pleading for an answer.

"I don't see how you can tell him one part without the other," she replied honestly.

"What if he freaks out?" I don't want to end up on TV or in a government lab," I worried.

"I don't think he will. I can wipe his memory clean, but that would also end your relationship with him," she continued.

"So, I'd be the only one with a broken heart?" I quipped.

"You'll survive. We all do," she said softly.

I was about to ask her what she was referring to, when I sensed Bill approaching. He wasn't even in the driveway yet. My powers were back fully charged! That was good; I wanted to be at peak power for Keir.

"He's here," I announced. I focused on controlling my powers; if Bill stayed, it would be because he loved me and not because I made him stay.

Aunt Kayla nodded and walked to the front door as she motioned me to stay where I was.

Bill walked in and gave me a hug. I hoped it wouldn't be the last one I ever got from him. He sat down next to me and smiled.

"Okay, I'm here. What's the story?" he asked.

I took a deep breath. Please let him accept me, I thought.

"Bill, you said that you've always felt that you've known me. You are right; we have actually known each other for many years," I stated, thinking, here goes nothing.

Bill had a confused look on his face. "What do you mean?"

"Bill, there is magic out there in the world, real magic, and I was accidentally changed by it... I used to be Roger," I admitted.

Bill's eyes widened; he looked like he thought I was playing a joke on him.

I told him the story of the body swap and the accident. Bill kept looking over at Aunt Kayla. She just looked back and nodded in agreement with my story.

"Bill, I'm no longer Roger. While part of me came from Roger, I am now a new person. I have changed, and I'm now a 21-year-old woman, in mind and body," I stated.

"This isn't possible," he stated, shaking his head in disbelief.

"I know it is hard to accept, but it is the truth," I pleaded.

Bill stared back at me. The good thing was that he was still here.

"I have another bombshell for you. I also have magical powers now," I added.

"You're a witch?" he asked. There was a look of disbelief on his face.

"Not really. Being a witch is more like being part of a religious movement. I just have magical powers," I explained, as if that made it easier to accept.

"I suppose that means that you too have powers, Kayla," stated Bill.

"Yes, and so do Fiona and Connor," she added.

"Karen?" he asked.

"No," I answered.

"What about Nick?" he asked.

"No, but he was working for someone who used to," stated Kayla.

She went on to describe the whole complicated story, including Keir and the tattoos. To my amazement, Bill seemed to be taking it all in.

"So, are you Roger or Iona?" asked Bill.

"Iona, if you mean the Iona you have known the past few weeks. I have changed and, while I have some of Roger's personality traits, I'm no longer him; and I have never been the original Iona," I explained.

"And how do you see us?" he asked.

"You are a man, and I'm a woman," I answered. "I also love you."

Bill nodded slightly. "May I have a drink?" he turned and asked Aunt Kayla.

"Sure, what would you like?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Don't care, so long as it is strong," he replied. He kept staring at me in a confused way. I could feel his emotions were in complete turmoil.

Aunt Kayla brought out a bottle of brandy and poured us each a glass.

Bill took a big gulp and then looked at me. "I suppose you had to tell me eventually."

"I know this complicates things, but I wanted you to know because I care about you, and in case something happened to me," I stated.

"Complicates things? Iona, you have a talent for understating things," he quipped. He then turned serious. "What do you mean by something happening to you?"

At least he was calling me Iona; I took that as a good sign. "Keir has to be stopped, and he wants me. I'm going to draw him out," I stated. At least he seemed like he still cared for me.

"You mean you are going to be the bait?" he asked.

I sensed some disapproval in voice. "If that's what it takes to get him. Keir is dangerous and has to be stopped, NOW. He'll be taken into custody, and he'll then face a trial and, if convicted, an appropriate punishment."

"In what court?" he asked.

"A special court that handles cases that involve the illegal and unethical use of magic. If Keir has broken any criminal laws, then he will also be handed over to the appropriate jurisdiction," explained Aunt Kayla.

"That almost makes sense. Still, there has to be a different way to draw him out. I'm not happy about you being the worm on the hook," Bill stated.

"I'm not exactly helpless," I stated. He still cared about me!

Bill looked at me carefully. "No, I imagine that you're not helpless. Roger was also headstrong, and I never could talk sense into him either."

He was referring to Roger as another person. This was another good sign!

"I appreciate you telling me this. It must be difficult," said Bill in a soft voice.

"We are entering new levels of difficultly," I answered with a slight laugh.

"I don't know what to say. I'm so in love with you, and now this happens... " he drifted off.

I didn't say anything at first.

"Do you really love me?" he asked.

I looked at him with tears in my eyes and nodded. "You mean so much to me, and yes, I love you."

He stared back. "If I walked away from you right now, what would you do?"

"Cry a lot. But if you want to walk away, I am not going to use my powers to force you to stay with me," I said softly. A single tear ran down my cheek.

Bill shook his head slowly as he looked at me.

"Maybe we should take a step back for now. I need time to accept all of this," he explained.

It wasn't the perfect answer, but it wasn't a complete loss either.

"Okay," I replied softly.

"I also think we need to deal with this Keir person first. Then we can work out our personal lives," he added.

"This doesn't involve you," I stated.

"It does now. I can give you a lot of assistance," he explained.

That was true. I was also happy that he wanted to help.

I wanted a hug from him so badly, but I wasn't going to force anything. At least he hadn't burned any bridges.

Bill stayed for another hour. Aunt Kayla said that we would contact him if Keir contacted us.

Bill got up to leave and for a moment I thought he was going to lean over to hug and kiss me, but he didn't. I kept the tears back until he drove away.


Chapter Fifty-One


I went up to my bedroom and checked my e-mail. There was one from Keir in Iona's account. I clicked and opened it up.

"Dear Iona. I know you got the package. I hope its contents bring back fond memories! We need to get together now. You will change and then press #39 on the phone. I will contact you and tell you where to go. Make yourself sexy for me, my pet, and I will take you to new levels of pleasure. Love, Keir"

So it begins and, hopefully, ends. Aunt Kayla was still up, and I showed her the e-mail. Without a word, she handed me the key to the lock. I nodded and retrieved the contents of the box and went upstairs to change. As I walked upstairs, I saw Aunt Kayla picking up the phone. I assumed she was calling Bill. How I wished that Fiona and Connor were here!

I stripped down and began to put on the outfit. First I slipped the black stockings on each leg. The garter belt came next, and I attached the stockings. The thong came next. I was proud that I remembered that it goes on after the garter belt. Although, it didn't matter with this one, as there was a snap release on the thong.

I began to feel very aroused as I dressed. I guess it was the effect of the spell. I concentrated and was able to regain control. That was good. My powers were strong enough to fight it off when I needed to.

The skirt barely covered my bottom. It was a perfect fit, and it looked like the leather had been poured onto my body. I slipped on the top and secured the breast covers. I hesitated, but I slipped the collar around my neck and locked it shut. A chill ran through my body. I repeated the act with the wrist cuffs. I locked each one. I hoped that I could get them off as easily when this was over. I felt a growing feeling of submission sweeping through my body.

Finally, I slipped on the boots. To my surprise, I was able to walk very easily in the four-inch spike-heeled thigh-high boots. The boots did look good on me. I walked with ease to my makeup table and began to transform myself into the old Iona. My eyes became very dramatic and sexy. My lips were wet, red, and luscious. I teased out my hair to complete the dramatic change. I picked up the cape and draped it over my shoulders, and then inspected myself in the mirror.

I stared at the redheaded vixen staring back at me. I wondered if I was the spider or the fly, as I picked up the phone and dialed the number.

"Hello," greeted the voice on the other end. In an instant I knew it was Keir.

"Master, I am ready," I said in a passive, soft voice. Calling him Master came very naturally.

There was laughter on the other end. "Excellent, my pet. Drive downtown and park near 5th and Robinson. That's in Hillcrest, do you know where that is?" he asked.

"Yes, Master; I'm leaving now."

"Excellent. By the way, don't fight the spell in the outfit. You are not strong enough, and I want you to conserve you strength for better things," he laughed.

"Yes, Master," I replied.

"I will pick you up when you arrive. See you soon, my pet," he stated in a smooth sexy voice.

"Yes, Master," I replied, and I hung up.

He was wrong. I could fight his spell, but it was hard. I was actually slipping under his power.

I walked downstairs and told Aunt Kayla where he wanted me to go. She shook her head at my transformation.

"I'm stunned by your appearance, my dear," she exclaimed. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"I have to. This has to stop, tonight. But, I am barely maintaining control," I explained.

"We will be close, my dear. Bill will meet me down there."

We hugged and I walked out to the car. Thankfully, it was late at night, so none of our neighbors saw me. Then again, they were getting used to seeing strange things around here.

I drove towards Hillcrest; it was north of the downtown area, not that far from my old apartment. I drove slowly to give Aunt Kayla a chance to keep in range. However, I prepared myself for having to do this by myself.

As it was after 1:00 AM, the traffic was light. I kept looking in my rearview mirror, but I knew that Aunt Kayla wouldn't be that close. I approached the meeting area and found a parking spot.

Without hesitation, I stepped out of the car. I looked around and also tried to sense Keir. I didn't sense or see anything. I imagined that Keir was watching from a distance, that he wanted to make me sweat a few minutes. I expected that Keir would pick me up personally. I don't think he wanted a repeat of what Nick did.

I was propositioned several times. I took that as a compliment, although a backhanded one! I concentrated on Aunt Kayla, but I couldn't detect her. I hoped she was close!

Then a black car pulled up in front of me. I got an immediate reaction from the protection tattoo. It was the equivalent of a siren and flashing red light going off. The door opened up and Keir looked out. I instantly knew it was him. He had the darkest eyes I've ever seen. They were like pools of black liquid.

"Get in, my pet," he ordered softly.

"Yes, Master," I replied. I could feel myself slipping deeper under his control. He had such a dominant personality, even without powers. I was also struggling with the spell in the outfit.

"You look exquisite, my pet," he oozed.

"Thank you, Master," I replied. Surrendering to him felt so natural.

He reached over, locked my wrists together, and attached a leash to my collar. I eased back my powers, as I waited for the right moment to strike. Something told me to wait; I could sense he was hiding something.

We drove just a few blocks. Obviously, he either didn't worry about being followed or he didn't care. Fiona was right; he was an arrogant bastard.

He led me down a stairwell and into a basement. He opened the door and led me in. The room was an S&M dungeon. On the inside, the door had a crossbeam to help lock it, much like a medieval castle door. Keir slipped it down as he led me inside.

"The nice thing about this part of town is that you can rent a dungeon," he commented.

He led me to a cross-beamed rack and tied me down on it. He then elevated it so that I was upright. He looked at me, and, flashing a wicked smile, he removed the breast covers, exposing my breasts and erect nipples. He ran his hand across them, causing me to tremble in sexual excitement.

"Nice!" he exclaimed.

He then reached under my skirt and removed the thong. He then attached a leather strap through my crotch. He held up a vibrator and turned it on and slipped it into me. I quivered as it entered me. He connected it to the strap.

"That will keep you busy for now," he stated. "Don't worry, my pet. I'll give you my full attention shortly."

He walked away, and I was left moaning in pleasure. It was hard to concentrate while I was so aroused. Keir picked up the phone and talked to someone.

"We will be having company soon, my pet," he said with wink. "You'll be an excellent example of the work I can do for him."

I wondered who he was talking about. My mind wandered back to the pleasure emanating from my vagina. Keir sat back and watched me wiggle.

A few minutes later, there was the sound of a bell. Keir got up and went to the door. He came back in with a man. The man leered at me and licked his lips.

"Ease up, Mr. Smith. You can have a taste of her later," ordered Keir.

"So is this the one? The daughter of your enemy?" asked Smith.

Mr. Smith was a greasy looking little man. He was balding and had a really bad comb over.

"Yes, this is the lovely Iona. She was on her way to college when I intercepted her and gave her a more useful education," laughed Keir. "Don't worry about talking in front of her. She is a totally submissive slut. Aren't you, my pet?"

"Yes, Master," I moaned. Soon, you bastard, soon!

"Go on," said Smith, watching my gyrations as the vibrator continued to arouse me.

"She was visiting her future college, and I had a friend there help me get her. First we got her to drain her powers, so that she was nice and weak and easy to control. I drugged her and gave her the tattoo that makes her so special!" explained Keir.

"This friend, your partner?" asked Smith.

"She was, but she ran afoul of the law and was also stripped of her powers. Too bad, but she got greedy," grumbled Keir.

I then realized that the woman Keir was describing was the AD at Chamberlain! Keir's comments were reopening Iona's memories.

Keir walked over and lifted my skirt and then flipped on a UV light. The light exposed my tattoo.

"Here is why I can control her. This tattoo makes women extremely sexual. They are driven by their sexual urges. It also protects the person from unwanted pregnancy and disease, thus making the person a perfect whore! Iona's tattoo is a bit more complicated. I needed to ensure that she didn't regain use of her powers. I'm sure she would love to take me apart," Keir explained. "I am going to add a new spell to this one, making her permanently submissive and obedient."

"These tattoos, they'll work on any woman?" asked Smith.

"Absolutely. They become addicted to sex," added Keir.

"I have twelve women in mind for your services. Five are in my custody right now. How soon can you get started?" asked Smith.

"If you have the money, I can start today. I believe we can have a very profitable partnership," Keir laughed.

"What about her?" asked Smith, pointing towards me.

"Oh, I have special plans for Iona. She will be the bait that brings her bitch of a mother here," said Keir in a frightening tone.

"Her mother is the one who took your powers?" asked Smith, glancing over at me.

"Yes. I will offer Iona back to her, in exchange for my powers. But I know she'll never do that. So, I will have to be content with killing her. I debated turning her into a whore like her daughter, but I think killing her will give me more pleasure," smiled Keir. The smile on his face was pure evil.

"I would like to bring the girls here as soon as possible. Can you keep five more here?" asked Smith.

Keir laughed. "Look around, my friend. I have lots of room to keep them tied up!"

"Excellent! Can you help me transport the goods here now?" asked Smith

"Why not?" laughed Keir. "Iona will enjoy the company!"

Keir walked over and picked up a bag, then turned to me and smiled.

"I have to go help Mr. Smith. In a few days, you'll have many new playmates. Do you like that, my pet?" he asked.

"Yes, Master," I moaned.

He laughed and walked over and turned the vibrator up to high.

"That will keep you busy, my pet," he laughed and walked out with Smith.

I heard the heavy door shut and lock. It was time.


Chapter Fifty-Two


I could feel my body getting closer to orgasm. I wondered if the energy could be channeled. I focused on my right cuff and tried to repeat the spell that burned Nick. Maybe it could burn through the cuff, or at least the lock.

I tried to get focused, but it was so hard. My body was split between my impending orgasm and my focused energy on the cuff. I felt like I was losing my concentration as the momentum shifted to my carnal pleasures.

I felt my orgasm grow until I could hold it back no longer; it burst out in wave after wave of uncontrollable pleasure. I screamed, as I couldn't hold it all in. As I screamed, I felt my right wrist get hot, almost as if it was being burned. I glanced over and saw that the locking cuff holding my wrist down was a bright red, and it appeared to be melting!

In a second, it fell to the ground and my right wrist was free. I immediately reached over and undid my left wrist. I then turned off the vibrator. This one was almost as powerful as the silver wand. I then disconnected my ankles. I found that I could fake being tied down. I would use Keir's arrogant nature against him. He wouldn't think of me escaping, so I doubted if he would bother checking my bonds, assuming everything looked normal when he returned. I picked up the ring and saw that it had melted. I hid it in a trashcan.

My right wrist was slightly red, but it didn't appear to be hurt. I didn't feel any pain when I touched it. Good. I didn't want any weak areas if I had to fight.

My big decision was whether to wait until help arrived or to take them on myself. I wished I had tried to determine if Mr. Smith had a weapon. I also had the problem of not knowing exactly how my powers would respond. I mean, I knew something would happen when I got pissed off, but after that it wasn't clear.

I then thought of what Keir had said about adding to my tattoo. There was no way that I was going to let him do anything like that to me!

I began to concentrate on Aunt Kayla. Please, come quickly, I thought, over and over.

I then sensed the return of Keir and Smith. They were just pulling up in their car. I quickly returned to the rack, inserted the vibrator, and flicked it back on. I placed my hands in their original positions. I hoped that neither man noticed that I was no longer locked up.

I heard the door unlock and open up. I watched as Smith and Keir brought in the first two girls. Their hands were bound behind their backs and they were blindfolded. That was good. I didn't want them to see anything happen that would obviously be magic.

They placed the first two girls in small cages. Keir smiled at me as he walked back out.

"I see that you are still enjoying yourself, my pet. That is just the beginning," he promised.

I just moaned and was able to get out, "Thank you, Master."

I found myself slipping back and forth between personal control and his control. For all his faults, Keir did have a very dominant personality. He was also a very handsome man; too bad he was so evil and demented.

I then noticed that I got a quick fix on Aunt Kayla when they opened the door. Each time the door was opened, I got a hit from the earrings. The sensations were getting stronger. I hoped that she would be able to detect my location before they shut the door again. I also tried to focus on Smith and determine whether or not he was armed. I discovered he had a gun, but it was in his coat, which was now lying over a sawhorse.

I watched as they brought in the other three girls. They all looked so young. It looked like several of them were under eighteen. I couldn't let Keir enslave them.

Smith brought in the last girl, and Keir helped him lock her up on a rack. I then realized that Smith hadn't locked the door. I hoped that meant that it could also be opened from the outside.

"When are you going to start tattooing them?" asked Smith, anxiously.

Keir laughed, "Patience, my friend, patience. It takes time to do this correctly. I also have to mix up the dye. I should be ready to start within the hour. Which one do you want me to start on first?"

Smith grinned. He looked at his captives, who were all cringing in terror. "That blonde with the big rack. She scratched me when I grabbed her. Do her first, and then I'll do her first!"

"Nice choice," complement Keir. "Fix yourself a drink; I'll start preparing the dye." Keir pointed towards some bottles of booze on a table across from the cages.

Keir said that it would take a half-hour to prepare the dye. That was my countdown. I would hold back until then. If help didn't arrive, then I would act. There was no way I would let Keir mark another girl.

I began to conserve my energy. Of course, when I did this, my sexual urges took over, and I could feel another orgasm forming. I had to struggle to maintain my false imprisonment as my body began to gyrate from my sexual arousal. I then felt it building, and I knew that there was no way I could hold it back.

I let out a long sexual scream as the orgasm swept through my body. I also lost my balance and fell off the rack. The sound of my screaming and falling caused both Keir and Smith to look over in my direction.

"Shit," exclaimed Keir. "How did you get free?"

I stood up and turned towards them.

"Let me tie her back up," asked Smith, who began to walk towards me. He obviously underestimated me.

"No, leave her to me," shouted Keir.

Smith turned and laughed at Keir. "I've been handling sluts like this for years. She won't be any trouble."

Smith reached down and grabbed me by the arms, pulled me to my feet, and pushed me back to the rack.

"See, she is no trouble," he laughed.

"Let me go or you'll see trouble," I growled back.

Smith laughed. "And how will a little girl like you give me any trouble?" he asked in a sarcastic voice.

I felt my anger and rage growing. I was free of the sexual pleasure, and I directed my energy at Smith.

"LIKE THIS!" I screamed

Smith screamed and pulled back as my protection spell burned his hands.

Keir looked at me in disbelief. I reached down and pulled off the vibrator and strap and tossed it on the ground.

"It seems I underestimated you, my pet," he said, still smiling.

"I'm not your pet!" I shouted back. I looked over at Smith. He was vigorously shaking his hands, trying to make the pain go away.

"No, you're not. You're a wild animal that I will cage and tame," he stated confidently. "You may have powers, but you are still a little girl, and I can still beat up a little girl."

We had a standoff. Keir was trying to position himself to take me down. I guess he figured that, if he knocked me out, I would be helpless. I only knew defensive spells and couldn't risk Keir getting close to me. I saw that Smith was working his way to his gun.

I made my decision quickly and bolted towards the door. I only hoped that I was right and it was unlocked. It was surprising how fast I could run in the boots!

My retreat caught both Keir and Smith off guard, and it gave me the lead I needed to get to the door. I reached it and found that it was unlocked. I could hear Keir just behind me. I swung the door open and was about to dash outside when I saw three men standing there in front of me. It was Connor, Bill, and another man. Bill caught me, and Connor stepped in between the charging Keir and me.

Keir's face turned pale as he saw Connor standing there. He tried to turn around, but seemed frozen in his tracks.

"Running away from a fight? Keir that is so unlike you! But I guess I am a bit more intimidating than a young woman," Connor laughed.

If Keir wanted to say something he couldn't.

"There is a man with a gun and five other girls tied up in there!" I shouted. I didn't even care that I was partially naked!

The other man ran in with a drawn gun and quickly disarmed and apprehended Smith.

Aunt Kayla, Fiona, and a brown-haired woman walked up behind Connor and Bill.

I felt so relieved to see them, and I hugged them and cried tears of relief and joy.

The woman immediately began to release the captives. I then noticed that she was wearing a SDPD badge around her neck. The man restraining Smith also had his badge out.

I was about to ask what was going on, when Aunt Kayla spoke. "We need to get you out of here. I'll take you home."

I didn't argue. I then noticed that my breasts were exposed, as was my vagina. I found my thong and breast covers and made myself a bit more presentable. I watched as Connor placed cuffs on Keir. Smith was on the ground and appeared to be in a trance.

Bill took me by the arm and led me outside to Aunt Kayla's car. He opened the door and smiled at me as I entered.

"I'll be over later to talk. Take care," he said as he closed the door.

Aunt Kayla got in and we drove home. I turned around to watch Keir being led away to a black van.

"You're going to explain all this to me eventually, aren't you?" I asked.

"Yes, my dear," answered Aunt Kayla. She then reached over and touched my hand.

I suddenly felt extremely tired and could barely keep my eyes open. In a moment I was sound asleep.


Chapter Fifty-Three


I woke up the next morning in my bed. I was wearing my pjs and began to wonder if it was all a bad dream. I then looked at my wrist and saw that it was still red. No, it wasn't a dream.

I got up and stretched my sore arms and legs. Still, I felt very refreshed. I showered and changed into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

Aunt Kayla was out in the garden. There was a pot of tea, along with blueberry muffins, sitting on the table.

"I heard the water running, so I knew you'd want something to eat," commented Aunt Kayla, as if nothing had ever happened.

"Thanks," I replied and poured myself some tea. The muffins looked great, and I eagerly began to pick one apart. "I appreciate the great night's sleep you gave me."

"I knew you would need it. How are you, my dear?" asked Aunt Kayla.

"Good," I said. I then told her everything that had happened in the dungeon with Keir. She seemed very impressed with the way I had handled things.

"I am happy that you used your mind, in addition to your powers. That is a huge step forward in mastering your powers," she commented.

"Now, could you tell me what happened from the outside?" I asked, as I ate a piece of muffin. It tasted delicious!

Aunt Kayla began to tell me the whole story. She'd tracked me to the general area of the dungeon, but lost me. Fiona and Connor arrived in the area, and they spread out to try to get a fix on my location. Bill stayed with Aunt Kayla, as did the detectives. They used their cell phones to coordinate their locations. Fiona and Connor also had jewelry to detect my location. Each time the door was opened, they got closer, using triangulation. They had my location down to a block when they detected my outburst of powers against Smith. They'd been about to enter the basement when I burst out.

"I must admit that you have a talent for making a dramatic entrance!" laughed Aunt Kayla.

I blushed. "I would like to forget that if you don't mind. I am proud of my body, but that was a bit much."

"I wouldn't worry about it. At least you survived," replied Aunt Kayla

I nodded. "How did Fiona and Connor get back here so quickly? You said they wouldn't be back until today." I asked as I further tore into the helpless muffin.

"They never left. We had to keep you out of the loop, just in case Keir gained too much control over you. I am sorry, but it was necessary," apologized Aunt Kayla.

"That's okay. You did it for my own good," I answered. The muffin was gone, and I eyed another one. "So, who were the two detectives?"

"They're in the San Diego Police Department. They are also like us and have powers. Fiona set that up with the DA, who was more than happy to provide them to assist us," replied Aunt Kayla.

"What happened to Keir?"

"Officially, he was killed. He is in our custody and faces trial. Most of the laws he broke were ours. The DA is okay with that. Your Mr. Smith will be facing a series of charges ranging from kidnapping to attempted murder. Of course, he has no memory of the magic," explained Aunt Kayla.

"Will Keir tell us how to change the tattoo?" I asked.

"No, so far he has refused to help. In time, he may offer his help as a plea bargain," suggested Aunt Kayla.

"Is he going to be punished severely?" I asked.

"If convicted, he will face a very harsh penalty. He will likely spend the rest of his life in custody," replied Aunt Kayla.

"I can live with my state of arousal. I don't want him to have even a slight chance of being out in the world again!" I stated firmly.

Aunt Kayla nodded.

"What kind of custody?" I asked. I tried to imagine what a magical prison would look like.

"It won't be in a prison, rather in a lower life form. If they ask my opinion, I would like to see him changed into a goat," answered Aunt Kayla. "Of course, he would retain his mind and would live out his human years as a goat, which could mean forty or fifty years."

"Isn't a goat too good for him?" I laughed.

Aunt Kayla joined me in laughing.

"He always was a horny old goat, too bad he'll have to change his tastes in females," laughed Aunt Kayla.

"What about the AD at Chamberlain? Will she face more charges?" I asked. I wanted everyone who had hurt Iona to pay.

"Yes. Charges are already being made. I am positive that she will be punished for what she did to Iona," added Aunt Kayla.

The second muffin was well on its way to being devoured. "So, what about Bill's participation in this?" I asked.

"The DA assigned him to the investigation, due to his 'exceptional knowledge' of the case. She has wanted to have someone in her office that she could use in cases that involve both laws, human and magic. Bill just may be the man to fill that position. Bill was very useful, and I think he will do a great job," stated Aunt Kayla.

"That's good. I am happy for him," I exclaimed. I meant it too. "So, are there a lot of magic/human law cases here in the San Diego area?"

"More that you can imagine, my dear," answered Aunt Kayla.

"Hmm, so there may be a job for me here, when I pass the bar!" I exclaimed with a smile.

"Absolutely. In fact, the DA has already expressed an interest in you," added Aunt Kayla. "But, you still have much to learn, especially concerning your powers."

I nodded in agreement. "Well, at least my professional future looks good," I lamented.

"Don't give up on Bill so quickly, my dear. I saw how worried he was about you and how he reacted when you came running out of the dungeon," Aunt Kayla smiled.

I hoped she was right.

"By the way, where is the outfit?" I asked.

Aunt Kayla smiled and pointed to the fireplace. There was a nice fire going.

"Too bad. I rather liked the boots," I commented.

I went down to the hospital and was pleased to see that Karen was continuing to improve. She was more like her old self, although she still had a long recovery. I spent several hours with her. She told me that she would be released in a week and would be going back home with her parents, although she promised she would be back.

"I hope to start classes by the winter semester," she stated confidently.

"I know you will!" I answered.

"When I come back, you want to share a place together?" she asked.

"That would be fun!" I answered, thinking about all the possibilities and complications that could lead to!

"In more than one way!" she said with a sly smile.

We both laughed. It felt good to plan the future after so much pain.

Later that afternoon, I left her room and walked out to my car. Things were looking up, even if Bill wasn't a part of my life. I sighed as I approached my car. I guessed this would be another new female experience, dealing with a broken heart.

I was about to get inside my car when I felt Bill approaching. I felt my heart begin to beat faster as I turned around and saw him walking towards me.

"I was hoping to catch you here," he stated.

"Thanks for being there last night," I smiled. I appreciated that he didn't mention my appearance in the dungeon.

"You mean this morning," he answered with a laugh. "You're welcome."

I just nodded. It was up to him now.

"Everything that has happened is so unbelievable. My mind is swimming with issues, and it is so hard to put everything in order," he explained.

I leaned up against the car and let him speak his piece.

"My eyes have been opened to a world that I never knew existed! Now it may become part of my job. It is all so incredible, yet at the same time exciting," he continued.

I looked at him and waited.

"To top it all off, I learn that the woman I love not only is magical, but used to be a man that I admired! It is all very confusing, but I have come to a conclusion about one thing," he added.

Go on, I thought, get to the point. I was ready for the worst.

"This is going to be a challenge. I mean, if magic is going to part of my job, what difference should it make if my girlfriend has powers? I don't think I can do this without you, nor do I want to. I want to stay together with you. That is, if you will still have me?" he asked.

I jumped over and wrapped my arms around him. We kissed and hugged for what seemed like forever. OK, it was a bit like a B-movie, but I'll take it! Life was going to be even more interesting! But that would be another story.

The End

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well managed script to this story

BarbieLee's picture

The author held the story line to a very close thread as she wove her tale of intrigue and possibles in. Some stories are like a family quilt. The basic pattern is there, no one knows exactly what it will look like until it is finished as bits and pieces of different colors and fabrics is sewn in. Amelia_R. left just enough opening to tag on a follow up if she so desired. Yet she tied a bow on the ending so the reader can't be to disappointed in the final tale of Iona if that is the case.
Anyone who doesn't have to run to the fridge for a glass of ice water after the final chapter doesn't have a heartbeat.
Have fun with life, its too short to take it seriously
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Turbulence

There should be a movie produced from this story. One of the most touching stories I have ever read.

Great story

This is one of the best I've read on this site, we'll done

Happy

This brings back good memories.

In February of 2005, I had been out a month. Those were extremely painful days, but I now remember that I read at least part of this story, and it may have been at Storysite, but I do not know. It is just as wonderful as it ever was.

Many Blessings

Khadijah Gwen

Wow

This was Awesome. I can't say too much about this story so I will just keep it short.

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Awesome is an understatement -- Turbulence

Paula; I have to agree, stupendeous tale! I have read the sequel 1st... Now reading the original story makes them all the more enjoyable!

*huggles* Robi

The Turbulence Series remains my favorite

Breanna Ramsey's picture

The Turbulence series remains my favorite of Julie's work (Yes I have a thing for redheads). That is not to say that I don't love and enjoy her other stories; Change of Course, The Protector, Ambition, The Scholarship, Fresh Start and Corruption - even the Slots series are all wonderful - and I especially love the way they are all tied together. But Iona will always be my first love. There is just something so human and hopeful about the characters that you create Julie. You show us a world that should be and I for one am grateful to spend time in it.

Scott

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph