Starship 8

Printer-friendly version

Background mostly, we all need to see where they come from, don't we :)
(Especially me.)

==

.

A planets memory is a most strange thing. Trees are good for it, but they don’t last, rocks even better as they stay for the longest time. That’s very good for long time storage of memories, but with the hardness also comes difficulties of retrieval, it gets slow. Then you have more specialized materials as diamonds, and other types of crystals, those makes for a much easier retrieval as they works on the polarization of light, using polarization states to define and retrieve information. For its day to day operations though, the planet used the live organisms existing, storing information in molecules, that then also gave it the possibility of getting the information refined and processed ‘unconsciously’.

The problem with that type of storage was no different from what we have, the ability to misinterpret, and also create false memories that we will swear by. After all, we’re talking about organic live storage here. For those dead materials it was easier to keep it intact, stored in the spins of their smallest constituents. And yes, the problem wasn’t really storage but retrieval, and, the ability to select the right information to retrieve. It had a ingenious system for error corrections when it came to its organic memory , adapting for most of the ‘bugs’ inherent to such a system. But nothing, not even a sentient planet, is perfect. Or expressed otherwise, according to Heisenberg’s Uncertanity Principle there will always be a measure of uncertainty to any system observed. And the planet’s memory could indeed be seen as just such a system.

Three days had came and gone. The planets rotation seemed faster than Janelle’s Earth, as the duration’s was closer to normal than what you otherwise might expect, considering its size. Instead of twenty four hour’s intervals the planet added a third to it, making a whole day and night last thirty six hours. As it rotated faster you might have expected its atmosphere to be more volatile, with more storms, but so far none of that had been observed by the suits. They had left some small probes in space, circling it, taking pictures of both the planet and it’s position relative the stars. And that was also what had made Jeffs suit go into its ‘reboot mode’. Because the stars weren’t there?

Well, they were, in a way. But there was no consistency to them. They became as mirage’s, now there, then gone, making it impossible to define any sort of position relative them. The Royal had managed to assimilate the information better, as it didn’t have the old demand programmed in it that everything necessarily needed to make sense. There were those old laws of robotics, they had worked for the longest time, and Jeff's suit unfortunately had had some remains intrinsic to its database. But as technology had evolved so had the programming. What once had been called ‘fuzzy mode’ was now what was used, and also a sort of intuitive self-programming that all suits of Royal's standing constantly used to redefine their understanding. And with that there came a new independence for those suits. What motivated suits like Royal nowadays was more alike what motivated humans. A sense of belonging, the need of taking care of its flock, and family. Very basic emotions, but working just as well as the old laws, and just as well as they worked for humans, allowing for much more flexibility too.

Yes, there were some risks to it, but it had to do with a new understanding and respect for the individual and intelligence. Royal, and a human both, had the ability to invent, they could both become 'visionaries' if you like. But hierarchy was still a very important component for any suit. And there Janelle was the 'top dog' as far Royal considered it, with Jeff being, at most, upcoming staff. For Jeff's suit it was in some ways simpler. It would never do anything to harm or hinder a human, not if they gave him direct orders, except in those circumstances where it saw those orders countermanding the humans own life. And all of those older suits had a override, making it possible for a human to close them down, the Royal didn't.

“Suit.”

“Yes.”

“Nice to have you back.” Jeff had been worried before, but it seemed as if his suit once more could function normally. In a way the suit fast was becoming just as much family to him as Janelle.

“Nice to see you too Jeff.”

“Don’t let Royal bully you now.”

“No problem.”

“So, today is the day huh?”

“Yep.”

It was, it was the day they were going to move camp. Janelle was still sleeping in his bed, somehow it had become a habit for them to share it. None of them talked about it though, because talking would mean deciding what it really meant, and so far it had been all innocent. Jeff was enthralled by her now, she was always in his mind, and somehow he always seemed to know where she was. It was as if there, in some recess of his mind, were a place that was reserved for keeping track of her. Sometimes he wondered if it was the ringlets fault, but to be honest, having her had filled up a very empty hole in his mind. A hole he hadn’t even been aware of before she came into existence.

When it came to how Janelle saw Jeff it became more complicated though, one part shining knight, one part boyfriend and one part staff. It clashed in her mind and she didn’t really now how to separate them, or even think of it. Sometimes it made her moodier than she intended but so far Jeff seemed to take it in his stride, understanding instead of blaming her.

As she finally woke up, and they had eaten their breakfast, they went into the suits. The suits immediately started to dismantle the wrap, collecting what stuff and debris there was. It all went very fast and efficiently, and after just some minutes Jeff found himself hovering over the valley. Everyone had their own idea of what a good spot consisted of, and even the suits had made different choices, but in the end they agreed on Royal’s choice making the best sense. He wanted them near, but not too near a lake, and also out of the woods, preferably on a hill. That so they still could retain the advantage of high ground. And as they landed some hours later, Jeff once more came to realize just how big that 'little valley' really was.

“I know, it’s incredibly vast. Bigger than some countries I've seen.” As Janelle described it

And it was, but so far they had seen no signs of intelligent life there, which was a little strange. According to the probes left up there, there was intelligent life existing. One probe had even shown a Tri-D of what seemed cultivated lands, and even humans? The problem with that being that they weren't really equipped for the visible spectrum, as they mostly were intended for space and radio waves. But, there had been no signs of any advanced cultures so far, and that was also somewhat surprising. But at least they now knew that there had to be sentient life, not unlike humans, on the planet.

So why wasn’t this valley populated too?

==

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Starship background information

It is good to get some more background information on the universe of this story. Somehow I get the impression that Jeff and Janelle have stumbled into a portal, and just might be able to recover and resotre the knowledge and use of the portals lost in the dimension wars mentioned in the first chapter.

Nice stuff

The background was nice, and I got a smile out of the stuff about how a planet stores its memories. Kool too was how you integrated the old 3 laws of Robotics along with the Royal suit being a more full fledged AI. I am still for the TG, but the other stuff is good too. Robinson Crusoe on Mars anyone? :)

hugs

Grover

Good chpter. I'm looking forward to the next one.

This background info has kind of reminded me of a serious minded take on an event in one of Dougles Adam's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" stories. The part in question has n advanced (only slightly more advanced than we are in real life) civilation send all of the people deemed "useless" to another planet to make things more effecient for said civilation.

Not saying that this is what is going on, mind you, but if you stretch your mind a bit, you can kind of see a similarity or two.

--SEPARATOR--

There is no knowledge that is not power.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Asimov

It reminds me a lot more of Isaac Asimov Foundation series. Robotic laws, living planet...

But Asimov didn't get all fuzzy ;)

----------
The world was so full of sharp bends that if they didn't put a few twists in you, you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting in. -- Terry Pratchett

Hm... that was heav

Hm... that was heav foreshadowing. The planet has bugs in his memory... I wonder what the effects will be.

But the suspense is kind of killing me. Some action would be nice ^^

Thank you for writing,

Beyogi

Fascinating.

Intelligent machines capable of emoting like humans (or close) and a sentient planet. Jeff and his ringlet (still there, but in him now, I think) and some interesting explorations and discoveries coming up soon in all likelihood.

As I said Spock-wise, fascinating.

Maggie

ahem

Yep, I love the hitchhikers guide too. It's hard fighting against that urge, I have that little devil whispering in my ear "Why so serious? Why not let it become a little more 'absurd'? It will be fun.. I promise .. "

Sure...

But so far I'm keeping it mostly serious, I hope?