Into the Land of the Pinks: Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version
Into the Land of the Pinks: Chapter 14
Samantha Jenkins

New Rules

The following Monday Riley and I had to sit through an assembly on tolerance of others, and some of the new polices that had been put in place. When I had told Adam that we were going to have to sit through this assembly, he said that we should pay attention so that we knew exactly what Mrs. Young didn't want happening in her school. That logic made sense and Riley and I walked into the auditorium together and sat near the front. Mrs. Young walked in and smiled at us. She walked up on the stage and a spotlight lit her up. The room fell silent.

"Good Morning, Memorial Middle School." She said, cheerfully. She got a variety of mumbled 'good mornings' in response. "I'm sure that everyone is wondering why we are having this assembly..." I looked around to see quite a few students nodding, not understanding why this assembly was taking place.

"There have been a few incidents in recent days with a student that has a medical condition being picked on by members of both the staff and the student body. It ends today... There have been some changes that have come down from the school board because of this. Any student, or staff member that is caught harassing a student that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender will be suspended. If there is a physical altercation between a Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgender student and any other student, the party that starts the altercation will be suspended, and possibly expelled. I'm sure that we have all four types of students in the school, I know of at least one student that falls under the protected group, and I'm pretty sure that others will make them selves known as time goes on. This policy is not just in effect here. It has been enacted across the district." She paused to let that sink in. "Yes, that means that any siblings that you have anywhere in the district will be hearing this as well. Also, just in case anyone thinks that we're joking, three staff members and four students have already been suspended from these new polices. I have a feeling that more heads will roll before this is done. That's all I have, Everyone get back to class..." Mrs. Young walked off the stage, and the teachers started to round up their classes and herd them back to the rooms.

#

Riley and I walked into the cafeteria and sat at a table. The general buzz around the room was that there had been a student that was gay, lesbian, bi or transgender that had been attacked in the high school and that was what prompted the changes. I wasn't about to tell them that the student was me...

"Zoe," Megan said suddenly. "You seem distracted."

"Huh?" I glanced at Megan. I hadn't even realized she had sat down. Megan giggled.

"Told you she wasn't paying attention." Megan said to Riley, who leaned over so she could whisper in my ear.

"You ok?"

"Yeah. I'm just wondering how many people know..."

"Know what?"

"That I'm the reason for the assembly..." Riley smiled at me and give me a kiss on the cheek.

"That's irrelevant." Riley said, causing me to look at her.

"How do you figure?"

"Because you're not the only student in the district that is protected, I can assure you of that." If Megan had been a cat, her ears would have perked up.

"Zoe's protected?'" She said in a stage whisper. "How?" I must have looked horrified. "It's ok, Zoe." She placed her right hand on my left from across the table. I glanced around the cafeteria.

"Not here..." I whispered back. "Too many ears that shouldn't hear." Megan nodded and then smiled. I knew that I could trust her with the secret.

#

Megan lived a few streets over from Riley, and somehow rode a differnet bus. Today, Riley's mom was picking us up from school, and Megan would ride home with us. This would give me a chance to explain to Megan where we wouldn't be overheard by someone that shouldn't hear this. I suspected that Megan partially knew what was up, but hadn't had a chance to either say something in private or in a place where the time was right... Riley's mom pulled into the driveway and the three of us got out and went into the house. After we had all grabbed drinks, we ended up in the dining room around the table, homework spread out so that we could combine three rather smart minds.

"So, Zoe," Megan started quietly, not knowing that Riley's parents knew everything. "How are you protected by the new policies?" Riley smiled at me, and then squeezed my hand.

"I'm transgender." I said at normal volume. Megan looked shocked, but I'm not sure if it was the revelation of my condition or me speaking at normal volume. I would find out in a second though.

"You're what?" She asked.

"Transgender." I replied.

"What exactly does that mean?" Riley looked at me and smiled. I smiled back and then looked at Megan.

"You know how you were born a girl, and in your mind, you're also a girl?" I asked her. She nodded. "Ok, that means that you are what is known as a cisgender person. Your biological and mental gender match. I'm Transgender, which means that my biological gender and my mental gender are the opposite. Most people are cisgender." She looked even more confused...

"What?" she chuckled. "Try that one more time."

"Essentially, I'm a girl trapped in a boys body." Riley leaned close to my ear.

"I think the simple answers work best..."

"Oh. Ok. I get it." Megan said. I briefly wondered if I shouldn't switch my blond hair for Megan's curly blonde. I looked at Megan, trying to picture her with my hair. "What?" I shook my head, knocking the cobwebs out.

"I was trying to picture you with my hair and failing." Megan looked confused. "Some times you act more like a blonde than I do..." I said, and I watched the lightbulb click on over her head.

"Oh..." She replied and then realized what I had said and stuck her tongue out at me. The three of us giggled. "I do not act like a blonde, but when you start throwing words I've never heard at me, I get confused."

"Sure." I said with a smile, and then went back to working on my algebra homework. "That's what I say too..." I crumpled a piece of paper and tossed at her.

#

I had just finished my homework when my phone rang.I pulled it out and looked at it. Mom was calling me, which meant that she was home.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, I'm home and you're not. Where are you?"

"I'm at Riley's we were working on homework."

"Ok. When are you going to be home?"

"Well, we just finished the homework that we had, so I was getting ready to come home anyway. I'll be home in five minutes."

"Ok. I'm tracking you." Mom hung up the phone and I looked at Riley.

"That was mom. I have to go." Riley smiled and then looked from me to Megan.

"Ok. I have an idea for tomorrow though..." Riley said, her eyes sparkling.

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Megan, you have the outfit that Zoe wore on her first day of school, don't you?" Megan nodded.

"Mine's green."

"Ok, Zoe, lets wear red tomorrow, and Megan can wear the green and then the three of us will look like sisters..." Megan and I looked at each other and then smiled.

"Ok. Riley I'll see you in the morning, it's my dad's turn to take us, and Megan, I'll see you in first period." I gave Riley a kiss on the cheek and hefted my bag up over my shoulder. Really need to get a new bag, Maybe a messenger style like Riley's...I thought as I walked down the street toward my house.

up
224 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Amazing.

Amazing.

More great work Samantha.

You've developed a voice with this that make you stand out but along side many of the youth authors here. That being said Zoe and the kids were lucky with that being the shortest assembly ever.

This is a good series.
Please keep writing.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

you're right

Raff01's picture

I recall an assembly in high school that took an hour and a half for something the Principal could have covered in ten minutes. He would just go off on tangents, so it was funny to guess what he'd talk about next, but man, stuck there for an hour and a half

Assemblies

I may just have to make this scene longer in the rewrite, just to make Mrs. Young ramble about some stuff... :)

glad I could help

Raff01's picture

just remember, nothing should connect. That's the best ramblings, where you try to figure out what they are talking about and how does all this stuff come together.

I'm Glad The Board Is Finally Serious

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg about tolerance district wide! After getting so many teachers and students suspended for their attitudes toward Zoe and Riley, Mrs. Young has really sent a message loud and clear. I still think there are still going to be a few who will try to test her, but she is showing already that she will stick to her guns on it. It is kind of funny that it took Megan a little time to figure out what Zoe meant, but I'm glad she is on Zoe's side. It will be interesting to see who else comes out now that Mrs. Young has explained the new policies.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Next?

Maybe it's for all the wrong reasons. Or maybe I'm right. I seem to have seen some hints being shuffled about regarding Riley's feelings towards Zoe.

Or, maybe, not.

Loving the story.

Hugs,
Erica

Thank you Samantha,

ALISON

'the more acceptance that Zoe can get the better.A good story,well told.

ALISON

Try as I might!

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

I just can't see that ever having happened in 1958/60. The idea of the bloody warden assembling every boy in the borstal and telling them to leave 'queers' alone. Yeah dream on!

Thank God that things have moved on!

I'm still waiting for reality to kick in; sorry, call me an old cynic but, well. It's just that's how it was! As was bent the twig, so grows the tree. I'm that tree.

Good story though and I feel compelled to keep reading it.

Bev XZXX

bev_1.jpg