Marigold

Printer-friendly version
Marigold
by Maeryn Lamonte

Melanie Ezell's big closet ultimate writer's challenge — L337

1337 words according to Word and a manual count (don't trust OpenOffice) from below the break.

Come on, that's short enough you shouldn't need a synopsis.

-oOo-

I knew something was up the moment Tweedledum and Tweedledee fell through the door laughing. I waited, they'd let me in on their gag soon enough.

“Hey, Doctor Dress code.” Shawn (Tweedledum) said with an emphasis on the 'dress' for any cerebrally challenged listeners. “There's someone down in interrogation room three who's right up your alley. The inspector asked if you would go talk to him.”

I grabbed my pencil and pad and headed for the cells, their hysterical laughter following me out the door. Recent legislation required all LGBT workers in public services declare themselves. On the downside, everyone knew which meant me getting flak from all sides. On the up side, I could dress how I wanted to work, not that I would of course, given the trouble with people just knowing. I made it down to IR3 and popped my head in.

“Hello James,” Inspector Thomas said. “We have an odd one here, as you can see,” he indicated them man sitting at the table, a little grubby, but otherwise normal, other than the pair of white, silk gloves that would have gone better with a sleeveless cocktail dress. “He's not a danger, but he refuses to talk. I was wondering if you could have a go. You know, given your, er, special understanding in these matters.”

The constable standing at the door snorted, then stared straight ahead as the inspector stared him down.

“Can I talk to him on my own?”

“In this case, I guess I can allow it. Benson will wait outside and only come in if you call, won't you constable?”

“Sir.”

They left, closing the door behind them. I sat opposite the odd character, placing my pad and pencil on the table.

“Hi. As you probably heard, my name's James.” He flinched away from my hand as though he had been stung. I tried a different approach.

“The reason the inspector asked me to talk to you, is because I'm transgendered. I like to express myself as a woman sometimes.” I hated owning up to it, especially to strangers, but if it got the results...
 
“I'm not trans-whatever.” Genuine indignation. Not what I expected.

“Then what's with the gloves?”

“You wouldn't believe me.” He hung his head, obviously deeply troubled by something.

“Try me.”

He regarded me carefully for a full minute. Something about my frankness must have made a difference.

“Alright, but you've been warned. Even I don’t believe it and it happened to me."
 
“I’m down on the beach this afternoon and find this old bottle in the sand. I brush the sand off but I can’t see anything through the glass, so I cleans this waxy stuff off the top and pops the cork.
 
“Straight away it starts streaming smoke and this enormous figure appears, laughing fit to bust. 'You have freed me, 'he says, 'I will grant you one wish.'

“Now all my life, everything I put my hands to turned to shit, so I tells this character, I wants everything I touch with my hands to become beautiful.

“'Done,' says he. 'How do I know?' says I. 'Look at the bottle,' says he, so I does and there's this beautifully ornate bottle covered in gold leaf and inlaid with mother of pearl. He sees that I'm satisfied and scoots off across the sea.

“So there I am sifting sand through my fingers and collecting the gold dust that falls from them, picking up pebbles and watching them turn into diamonds the size of dove's eggs, and I get this itch on my arm and reach over to scratch it all natural like.

“The next thing I know, I have a woman's arm and hand. Soft skin, hairless, slim delicate fingers, the works. I can't quite believe this is happening so I reach across and pinch my other arm. Yeah, guess what, now I've got two beautiful, slender, soft, milky smooth arms and hands, only they're attached to this body.

“I figure if I touch someone by mistake, I'm going to turn them into a girl or at least part of one, so I start panicking. There's this supermarket nearby so I runs up to it doing my best mad homeless guy impression, shouting 'don't touch me'. I search down the aisles until I find the kitchen supplies, and I grab a packet of marigolds. They only have smalls, but then that’s what fits me now. I rip the bag open and pull them on. Next thing I know I'm wearing these.” He held the white gloves up for me to look at.

“The shop owner starts yelling at me that I'm wrecking his place, so I chuck him one of my new diamonds hoping this will shut him up, but he turns out to be one of the honest ones. He calls the police and here I am.”

“So do the gloves work?” Regardless of how crazy something sounds, it's important to make it seem like you believe. There was something else here though. His hands did seem small.

He touched the table and nothing happened. Answer given.

“I wonder if you'd show me.” I pushed my pencil across the table. “You want me to believe you, this should be easy to prove.”

He shrugged his shoulders and peeled off a glove off. The next moment I have a golden pencil. Coldness flooded me. This was real.

An insane idea took me. Before I could think it through, I reached across and grabbed his bare hand.

“No,” he cried. “What are you doing?”
 
No tingling, no sensation of change, but suddenly there’s a woman’s slender hand on the end of my arm.
 
“I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking, but you could help me.”
 
“What do you mean?”

I pointed at my hand and his.

“You don't want this. I get that, and I'm sorry, but I do. You could make my dreams come true, just by touching me. Look, you haven't committed a crime, but you have the means here to become a very wealthy man, and make a lot of people very happy.”

“How?”

“Do this for me and I'll help you. Just, do this, let me be sure it works before I tell you more.”

He nodded his head, conflicted but allowing himself to be led by my eagerness. I quickly stripped off my clothes down to my boxers while he removed his other glove. Over the next five minutes he passed his delicate touch over every part of my body, transforming me by degrees into a supermodel. All except for the contents of my boxers. I slipped them off and turned to him.

“I know this is asking a lot, but complete me please.”
 
I was breathing hard as his reluctant hands passed over my buttocks, smoothing them, rounding them. He closed his eyes and allowed me to guide his touch to my genitalia. They shrank and drew inside of me leaving me complete, as I had always wanted to be.

“Hard parts over, now just my clothes please.”

It was the work of moments. My shoes grew slim and elegant with stiletto heels, socks became stockings, boxers panties, my suit into a skirt suit and my shirt into a silk blouse.

By the time the inspector returned we were sitting talking through plans about setting up the ultimate beauty salon. It took a while to convince the inspector who I was, but once I did it was easy to persuade him that their prisoner had done nothing wrong, nor was he insane or a danger to himself or anyone else.

I go by Jamie now. It took a bit of money to buy the ID, but when you know someone who can turn rocks into diamonds, that's not so hard to come by. He's happy enough too. We have an amazing house by the coast and he gets to be with all the beautiful girls he wants. Of course they're not always beautiful when they arrive... Or girls for that matter.

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oy!!

Slow down!

Sorry

Had to get this one out though, to make room in my brain. It's been rattling around in there for a couple of months now - most distracting.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Hah

kristina l s's picture

Yeah, what she said. Catch up..mutter, mutter. Shrug, I'll cope... hey, nice but... marigolds? A brand of rubber gloves or something?

Kristina

Sorry yeah - rubber gloves

So common here that the brand name is almost inter-changeable with the item. I would have put a footnote, but that would have taken five of my 1337 words, and I already had to chuck 150.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Where?

Where is this shop????? Or the address of the house by the coast?????

Love it!!

Hugs,
Erica

That is brilliant!

Taking the "curse of the genie" (i.e. overly literal interpretation of the request - this one wouldn't by any chance have happened to have appeared to King Midas in the past?) and actually turning it to the character's advantage. I'd say this also qualifies as playing with a trope, so feel free to add Trope:Play to the keywords).

Sand to gold, rocks to diamonds, blokes to supermodels, not to mention upgrades to their property! What more could they want? :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Blank spot in my brain

I haven't yet been able to get my head around the concept of tropes. Looking up the definition I find it is a rhetorical figure of speech consisting of a play on words. Types listed are allegory, antanaclasis, irony, metaphor, metonymy and synecdoche (yes I can read Wicki too).

While I understand (more or less) what each of these is, I don't get how they are applied. I mean in what way is this story a trope? It's like describing the shape of porridge, there doesn't seem to be a fixed definition.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Modern Application

The best place to look to pick up the meaning being used here is a site called "TV tropes," wherein they cover the most overused stereotypes and so on of television and books.

Typically a funny name is attached to it, hence the correlation with the uses you have listed above.

TV Tropes And Idioms

Melanie E.

Tropes

There's a couple of definitions and links to examples of trope play here. In the case of Marigold, it's applicable to the plot as a whole - normally, genies with over-literal interpretations of wishes cause a life of misery for the unfortunate who made the wish, and the glove-wearer certainly thought it would be... until he met the right person at the right time, and discovered that his wish could lead to a life of luxury.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It appears to me, that to

It appears to me, that to Trope-ists everything is a Trope. Once someone does something it is a Trope.

What a setting!

A magic genie on a trope-ical island.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Great use of 1337 words

Loved every single 1337 words, about my concentration span early in the morning.

Kerry

a dream come true

I wish I could meet this man. I have been years changing. Now to find I can't finish. Only to die as I am...Ladybecky1... Please don't use this as a story.

=D

Extravagance's picture

The girl inside takes a challenge... ...hands on! :)

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Great story!

Healing through the laying on of hands. :-)

Lora123falle.jpg

Different

Why parts? Having said that, He would have a lot of willing servants.

Why not?

In a sense a part is its own whole. At what point would you consider an arm or a hand as a whole thing in its own right rather than a part of a body? At what point is a person a whole thing rather than a part of a community? It's all down to point of view, and magic has no respect for logic.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Plus and minus

I liked the story. Loved the premise.

Here is where I am crude.

If you can't play with yourself any more,

its nice finding those who can.

.

Extravagance's picture

He can still jerk himself off, as long as he keeps his gloves on. :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Jerk...

Many years ago, I was in some woodland in Southern England, where I found, under a hododendron bush, a collection of gentelman's art magazines. Lying on top of the porn was one, single, right-handed Marigold glove. Oh dear. To complete the scene, growing next to the stack was the only one of these I have ever seen in the UK:
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/misc/images/dogstinkhorn.jpg
The dog stinkhorn, also known as dog's dick fungus.

Oh,

Extravagance's picture

does it have a rigid definition?

I cannot resist indulging in crude humor, I'm afraid.
My gender identity has "boy" in it, after all...

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Bringing down the Evil Empire

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

If I had the power of touch to turn pebbles into diamonds…I would flood the diamond market until I brought down De Beers.