Andrew’s Dilemma Part 8

Printer-friendly version

--SEPARATOR--

 

Andrew’s Dilemma

Part 8

By, Cain129

 

 Special Thanks to Wren Phoenix for the editing.


Synopsis: Jessica spent her first day out in public, and somehow made it back in one piece. She had run into Scotty for the first time as a girl, and the sparks have begun to fly between the two of them. Jessica would love to get to know him better, but is afraid to allow him to get close. She’s very afraid that he could discover her secret.   At the same time Jake Roberts is busy getting ready for a heartfelt reunion with his son.

--SEPARATOR--

 

 

Chapter 17

 There’s no such thing as a free ride

 

 Jake found himself in a spot after waking up.  He badly wanted a drink, but knew that he had to hold off, at least until after his meeting at 3 pm. From what Brian had said, Vincent didn’t like his people drinking when they were supposed to be working. This made Jake feel uncomfortable, he’d never been the type to take orders. He was much more comfortable giving them. That was the way it had been in the Army, until that unfortunate business that cost him his career. He needed Vincent’s help if he was going to stay out of jail, though. He wasn’t thinking about the consequences of his actions.  At this time, Jake was too fueled by anger.

 

There was a small town maybe a half hour’s drive away, so he got in his car and rode into town. There he found a small restaurant. The waitress came over with a menu and a cup of coffee. Jake’s hand was really shaking as he poured the milk and sugar into the cup, but managed to do it without making to much of a mess. He ended up wearing some when he tried to take his first drink. If this was any indication of what his day was going to be like, he knew it was going to be a terrible day. He placed his order, and then thought quietly, while taking another drink of his coffee.

 

After having his breakfast. Jake returned to the Cabin. He was really struggling with himself, as there was a bottle of whiskey that had been calling out to him all day. If he didn’t have to be at his 3pm appointment, he would have getting into it a long time ago. The people that he needed to deal with wanted him sober for the meeting and he didn’t dare cross them. Brian had told him plenty of horror stories about what they did to the people that had.

Even he was beginning to wonder why he had ever agreed to any of this. At the time, it had seemed like a good idea. Being sober for the first time in a long while had let him begin to think clearly, but now it was too late to back out.  He had set things in motion and the people that he was dealing with wouldn’t appreciate his wasting their time.

 

So at 3 pm, a sober Jake Roberts walked through the doors of the restaurant. As he entered he saw Brian sitting with a couple of other men. When Brian saw Jake, he waved him over to the table. Jake nodded and walked over to the table and waited till he was invited to take a seat with them. After he took a seat, Brian turned to the man sitting next to him.

“Jake Roberts, this is Vincent.”

Vincent reached across the table and shook Jake’s hand.

“Brian tells me you have a problem that you need help with?”

“Yes sir, I am trying to find my son.” replied Jake.

“I can help you, but there is always a cost. If I do this for you, then I will expect something from you.” Vincent said with a smile.

“What do you need?” asked Jake.

“Brian tells me you are pretty good with your hands. I need someone to collect some loans that are outstanding. If you take care of this, then I will help you, Jake.”

Jake looked over at Vincent. “Who and where?”

 

[-][+][-]

 

It was around 5:00 and I was inside my bedroom. Amy was supposed to be here around 5:30 to pick me up. I was really looking forward to seeing her. In the short time that I had known her, she had become an important part of my life. I think it was the fact that the two of us shared so much in common including the pain that we had both suffered.

 Megan had offered to help me with my makeup, but I wanted to do it myself and found that I could, provided I had the time. Everything was a learning experience for me, including makeup and hair. It was something that I had to do for myself if I was ever going to be independent. After my fourth try, I finally felt that I was done. When I looked in the mirror I liked the results.

I knew that I didn’t really need to wear makeup, let alone dress up, but this was a special night. Amy was going to meet the real me tonight. Until recently she had only known me as Andrew and I hoped that I would never have to put on that mask again. At the moment, Andrew was the last thing I wanted to be thinking about. He was the past and Jessica was my future. I had chosen the little blue sundress that I had bought at the mall; I loved it from the moment that I had seen it. It fit me like a second skin and the flowered pattern on it was awesome. As far as foot wear went I hadn’t mastered heels yet so I went with a pair of sandals.

After I finished up in the kitchen, I joined Anthony in the living room; he had his guitar out and a binder in front of him. He had been playing this song over and over again. He looked pretty frustrated; I took a seat on the couch next to him.

“What’s wrong”, I asked him

He looked at me. “It’s just this song that I have been writing. I have had it running through my mind now for quite a while, but can never seem to get it sounding the way that I want. Something is missing.”

I looked at him. “Why don’t you play it for me Anthony?”

Anthony nodded and started playing it through.  As I listened to him play, I noticed that the song wasn’t the problem. It was more in how it was being played. When he finished, I looked over at him and said “Can I give it a try?”

“Be my guest.” He handed me his guitar.

After I took the guitar from him, the first thing that I did was slow it down. I knew that his intention was to make it rock, but when I heard it being played it wasn’t ordinary rock that I heard. It was more of a “rocking country” kind of song, so I played it that way. Although there were no lyrics yet, I could easily see it being an easy song to put to words.”

When I finished playing, I looked over at him. “What do you think?”

“I like it Jessica! It’s a bit different then what I was going for, but your version works better then mine. I’m just wondering what it would sound like with a band behind it.” Anthony said with a smile.

“Well, I don’t have much time right now, because Amy should be here soon. When I get home, we can try playing it together.” I said with a smile.

“That sounds like a plan Jessica, I’ll program the song into the keyboard, that way we can have a piano and drums accompany us.” Anthony said with a smile.

“Do you have any lyrics yet?” I asked.

“Not yet, but since it sounds better as country number, maybe you can come up with something, Jessica!”

“I’ll give it a try Anthony, but it might take me awhile.”

“That’s fine Jessica, I’m not in any hurry, just give it a try!” Anthony said smiling.

 

 

[-][+][-]

 

Chapter 18 - Learning to fly

 

Anthony and I were so caught up in working out the cords to the song and writing them down, that neither of us heard Amy arrive until we heard the doorbell ring.

 

“That must be Amy!  I’ll let her in!” I yelled, then ran over to the door.

 

When I opened the door, there was Amy. When she saw me, she just shook her head and smiled.

 

“Is that really you, Jessica?” She said with a smile.

 

I smiled back at her. “Yes, Amy, it’s the real me! Please come inside, everyone is dying to meet you.” I took her hand and dragged her inside.

 

“God, Jessica I am so happy for you. By the way, you look awesome!”

 

I smiled. “Thanks Amy. It feels wonderful just to be myself, and not have to pretend anymore.”

 

When I went inside the living room, Janice had joined Anthony. Megan was still upstairs with Jennifer, but I imagined that they would be down soon enough.

 

“Janice, Anthony, this is my friend Amy.”

 

Both Anthony and Janice came over and said hello to Amy, then asked her to have a seat and make herself at home.

 

Janice smiled, “I was a little worried about letting Jessica go out tonight without meeting you first, Amy, She has been through so much and we worry about her because of everything that has happened.”

 

Amy smiled. “You have nothing to worry about Janice.  Jessica is like a little sister to me, and I would never let anything happen to her.”

 

There is also one other thing that bothers us, Amy, and please don’t take this the wrong way, but there is quite an age difference between the two of you.” Janice said, frowning.

 

Amy looked at Janice then at Anthony and thought for a few minutes, then turned to me. I nodded to her, telling her it was all right to tell them if she wanted too.

 

“Jessica and I have a lot in common. The two of us have been through similar situations, and because of that we share a special bond. One that people might not understand.”  Amy told her as she undid the buttons on her sleeves of her blouse showing them the scars on her wrists.

 

Janice looked at Amy. “Oh, I am so sorry Amy! Jessica didn’t tell us about that.”

 

“Jessica wouldn’t tell anyone, she knows how embarrassing it can be. It’s hard to find someone you can really talk to that understands.” Amy said sadly.

 

I walked over to Amy and put my arms around her and said, “It’s all right, Sis”

 

Amy looked over at Janice and Anthony.

 

“I was about Jessica’s age when I tried taking my own life.” She said. “I was pretty lost and very confused as a kid. Like Andrew, I was also troubled. I realized that I had lesbian feelings. My parent disowned me when I came out to them, and still refuse to accept me to this day. They act like I don’t exist.

 

It’s been a long hard road for me. When Jessica came into my life, I knew what she was going to be up against. I wanted to help her get through it, because I didn’t have anyone to help me. I didn’t want Jessica to go through what I did alone, and I guess she also reminds me of my little sister, Beth. My sister and I were pretty close, and I guess that I miss having someone like her in my life. I know that Jessica can’t replace what I lost but having her in my life does kinda fill that void.” Amy said with a smile.

 

I looked over at Janice and Anthony, “Amy was the first person that I met when I woke up. I was tied to the bed and I wasn’t very happy, I guess. I was also pretty rude to Amy. She talked to me anyway, and told me her secrets. She really didn’t have to, it’s not her job, but she did it anyway.

 

Most of my life, I’ve felt alone. I thought that there was no one out there that could understand me. Amy’s been though a lot of the same experiences, and look at her now. I was planning on ending my life as soon as I found a way out of the hospital, but she showed me that I didn’t have to do it. If I was willing to accept who I was and ask for help, then I could be whoever I wanted to be. Without Amy I wouldn’t be here right now, I’d most likely be dead.”

 

Janice walked over to Amy. “I’m sorry we put you through all this, but I want you to know you’re always welcome here, Amy.  As far as I’m concerned, there is no one that I would rather have as a role model for Jessica then you.”

 

Anthony smiled and walked over, “I am glad that Jessica has someone like you, and like Janice said, you’re welcome here anytime.”

 

Amy looked over at the clock, “We’d better get going Jessica, if were going to have something to eat before the movie.”

 

“Amy, you’re more then welcome to join us for supper. There is plenty to go around!” Janice, said with a smile.

 

“What do you think, Jessica?” Asked Amy

 

“It’s fine with me!” I said with a smile.

 

Megan, Jennifer and Amy hit it off like I knew they would, and over supper everyone got to know each other better.  By the time Amy and I left, we were all friends.

 

I looked over at Amy. “Sorry about the third degree from Janice”

 

“It’s alright Jessica, you are lucky to have them in your life!  They really care about you, and that’s why they’re so protective.” Amy said with a smile as she put the car into drive, and the two of us were off.

 

 

 

End of Part 8

 

To be continue in part 9


up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Andrew’s Dilemma Part 8

That cad of a dad MIGHT find Andrew as he does that dirty work, but will he recognize Jessica?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Enforcer

RAMI

Jake the Enforcer. Sounds like a bad episode of some 1950's or 60's TV show. Maybe he'll be pulled over by Sgt. Friday and be arrested before he does anything really stupid.

I guess Jessica has a substitute mother and father, several friends and now two sisters. If her disgusting mother and father do not grt in the way, she may be able to have a satisfying life.

RAMI

RAMI

Jake is a worry.

I can't bear the thought of him catching up with Jessica and the harm he may do to all of them.

Good story

LOL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Friends

Jessica is so lucky to have good friends and so quickly too! :}

Like Jessica the day I came out I ended up making friends right away which was so nice as before I had virtually NO friends. Now, I have friends all over the world. :}:}

Her Father not that he deserves that title now he needs to be run off the map, the world! Those that he got himself involved in need to also be put away as well! Oh, and lest we forget her mother. lock her up and toss the key away, she definitely does not deserve the title of mother by any means!

People can be so terribly mean sigh!

The Mob

Renee_Heart2's picture

So Jessica's father has invoked the help of the mob NOT GOOD!

I'm glad that Jessica has 3 friends in her life Amy, Megan, & Jennifer She will need them all as well as her new family to protect her & love her & get her through her crises. True friends are far & few between & she is lucky to have 3 of them.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart