Irish Spring

Printer-friendly version
Irish Spring

(Manly, yes, and it nauseates me, too!)
Warning: Emotional Mine Field
PTSD and all sorts of fun stuff including incest and rape!
Read to your own PERIL!

 
(All Brand Names have been changed to protect me as I write)

Hey, kids, what time is it? It’s return to fucking yesteryear one more time. Sorta like a hands-on (please excuse the visual analogy) lesson in P.T.S.D. For those of you who missed it, that’s Post Traumatic Sugar Pops Disorder. The phenomenon that occurs when you make a link between a visual or odor or taste or touch or sound cue and a trauma. I can’t eat Sugarpops because that’s the cereal that was left on the table after my big sis and I (and maybe little sis) got boffed by my dad, et al! Funny, I always thought that meant and some guy named Al.

Well???? Today’s lesson, well be exploring the nausea and fear and night sweats and all sorts of fun reactions that come from … Smell. After God only knows how many years, I finally figured out why Irish Spring makes me want to heave. Seems I finally remembered a few things that occurred in a bathroom. (Very small and crowded with at least two kids and one adult — someone had to know!) The brand of choice for bathing in our household was Irish Spring. The smell of it getting cleaned up afterward — somebody was meant not to know, you know. Raise your hand if you figured out what went before ‘afterward.’

Anyway, I got a real fear of water. But not like water being splashed. I can take a shower just fine as long as I hold my head a certain way. NO baths, though. Alice (maybe you remember from my other epic, Alice?) is always saying when I’m tense, “Why don’t you take a nice bath. It will be relaxing.” She means well, but after I’ve declined the offer say maybe twenty or so times, it does get old. I can’t relax in the bathroom because I can’t take a bath without getting sick. And yes, you guessed it. It’s because a lot of the sexual stuff happened in the bathroom.

I had a recent memory/flashback of having my head held under water. And sorry, in this case cleanliness is the furthest distance to Godliness. I thought it was because he threatened me if I told. My bestest pal in the whole world had that happen to her; she was held off a balcony by her fucking uncle! So naturally I figured that’s what was going on with me. If only. I remember a lot more than some; a bit less than others, but the clues don’t always become clear right away.

Okay, show of hands for those of us out there who have gone through this shit. Be honest, okay. If it happened, it didn’t happen; your mind and maybe some well meaning folks and your offender for sure want you to think it was an event. It didn’t ‘happen;’ he did it (I will allow for the ones of us who were offended by women, but mostly it was a guy; someone close)! Either way, it wasn’t some odd occurrence dropped in the middle of our lives. It was because someone else had been hurt and couldn’t stand the pain but never got help and decided to take out their pain on us. Plain and simple.

Anyway, as I was saying, those of us who have had this hurt, raise your hands. Not so fast, buster. If it didn’t happen to you, don’t even go there. Don’t pretend. Don’t act like you know and really please don’t say you fucking understand. Where was I?

Some of us had something worse than anything you can imagine. Something we share that makes the guilt even more horrific than we can bear (unless we get help). My friend had this happen with her and I had this happen with me.

WARNING: EVEN IF YOU READ THE DISCLAIMER ABOVE, THIS MAY BE EVEN TOO DISGUSTING TO READ; THE FOLLOWING DEALS WITH FORCED INTERACTION BY SIBLINGS — YOU READ THIS RIGHT. READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL

Like I said, my best pal was hurt this was and I was too. I was forced to physically interact with my older sister. I don’t even recall if it went as far as little sis, but if you read my other story you know she isn’t talking. We were forced to make contact…I can’t even say it without crying, and ask Alice; she’ll tell you that it is not a common thing even with all this shit to see me cry. He made us touch and lick and all those things that were supposed to be good untll the sick fuck twisted it into one big nightmare. And lest we forget, even though I was a ‘special girl’ inside, I was little Billy Ferromonte outside. Billy didn’t like the taste of semen and Belle still doesn’t, but little Billy cries inside Belle even to this day for what he had to do with Elena Ferromonte. Amelia Ferromonte probably doesn’t like what happened, either, but like I said, she’s not talking.

So when I get into a bathroom and I seen a nice shower stall, I can relax. A bathtub gives me a chill. And like someone told me, it hurts even more when good things make you sick. So we put that all together, and I get upset and even sick when I smell Irish Spring. You can imagine how much scrubbing went on so that when Mom came home from work we smelled okay.

He didn’t touch us when we were together. He might take us separately off to the bedroom, but no touching when we were together. He just watched. Like that was okay. Like hey, I didn’t touch so it’s okay? He’s been roasting over a slow flame for some time now, but I’m still cold as ice at times. And like I said once before, I’m doing better than a hell of a lot other girls and boys who put up with this shit.

All this to say that I get majorly pissed off when someone writes about this shit and it's just a way to make the story move along. Yep. I've started to ignore stuff, but every once and a while I play stupid and read something I know is going to tap my fucking turntable (Ask Mom and Dad what that means, kids!) And if you've read this far you either care about someone you love enough to read through this shit or you actually went through it. Or you care enough to want to know. To all of you, I say thank you.

The moral of the story is simple; if you meet someone who seems to be a bit prudish or sensitive about shit like this or even just ‘sex and stuff,’ they just might need to not take a bath.

up
37 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Heavy Stuff

joannebarbarella's picture

This should be required reading as a description of what child abuse does to the mind, but will probably not hit the BC "Sweet Spot",

Joanne

Violation

laika's picture

When words fail me like this all I can offer is sympathetic animal noises, and if I know the person, HUGS...

A friend and co-worker of mine had been working through what her father had done to her in her women's group and broke down at an unconvenient time. Selfishly, it felt good that she wanted a hug from me, when she couldn't tolerate being touched by men. I tried not to make the experience about me but on some level I was happy that she saw me as safely non-male. (I was years away from facing my own shit when it came to a certain adult from my childhood.
Still minimizing the pyschic effects what he did because so many others had suffered way worse...)

Then our Manager, Mr. Inappropriate came by and leered at her "WHERE'S MY HUG???"
And put on a big wounded face when he didn't get one, as he stared creepily at her tits.
I don't know why this anecdote, Belle, except that some people REALLY don't get it
about stuff like you described. And they're awful when they spew facile advice,
but in a way they're also lucky that they can't relate.
~hugs, Veronica

I can say no more

I have tried to put across what PTSD means. The smells, the flashbacks, the sitting around at four am because being half-dead through lack of sleep is better than the dreams. But you are right, both about facile advice and 'that's a good plot line to use as a throwaway.'

No more to say here.

Why things don't always work?

I've worked in residential treatment for years. We had a kid who refused to take a shower. Used to whine and complain. The staff always relented and let him wash at the sink until one staff member got the bright idea to make him take a shower with his clothes on. He and another staff member turned the water on and pushed the kid into the shower shorts and tee shirt and all. The kid ends up screaming bloody murder and they call his therapist, a simply beautiful woman doctor from Paraguay who arrives on the unit to find her charge sitting on the floor in his wet underwear banging his head softly against the wall and moaning. Well, as tenderhearted as she was, the doctor goes ballistic and wants to know if anyone actually knows how to read a chart. The kid had been molested by a family friend in the bathroom! So he gets re-traumatized by the people responsible for his recovery.

I know you (Steph) understand, as do many others here, just what I'm talking about. This stuff doesn't just go away. It may fade over time, but even then, many of us still deal with this shit on a daily basis. Amazing that some people still just don't get it. BTW, his name was Andy and he was from a Central Atlantic State. Whenever I see someone talk about this stuff, I'm a bit wary until I read. The ones that do know or want to know either have gone through it or have talked to those of us who have.


Happy to know you. Belle

Irish Spring

No wonder you feel as you do.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And pray tell?

How do I feel?


Happy to know you. Belle

PTSD

To be forced to be an active participant in the abuse is one of the worst things. My heart goes out to you.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Having seen the aftermath

Having seen the aftermath of abuse this describes the issues of PTSD all too well. Nobody should have to live with this and those that cause it should rot far away from daylight.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

wow... sickening

I really do feel sick. My partner of 18 years, the love of my life, Kimberly, went thru all this. She never talks about it, just mentioned it once with no details. Apparently priests and her dad. Goddess bless us, that is so crapped up. don't know what to say..just crying

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

I've lived through a lot of abuse in my childhood years.

I may have been naive in many ways (not surprising from a pre-teen, hmmm?), but there is no way that I could have let something like this slip by unchallenged if the ass who was my adoptive father had tried this on myself and my two younger adoptive sisters.

I was actually smaller than both of those girls back then, but they treated me well and deserve my love and respect even now. Why, you may ask? Quite simple, those two were the only members of the family to offer any kindness and support after the adoption broke down in '81. I met the two of them again in high school in Stratford, Ontario, in '84 or early '85 and we chatted here and there over the next year or two.

I don't know if I would have been able to directly protect them from him, but at one point, I wanted to kill him for what he had done just to me. I can only imagine how much angrier I would have been if things such as what are described here had happened to myself and those two girls.

It's been over thirty-five years since I lived there. I don't even know if the old bastard is still alive, but I hate him to this day.