Rebirth Part 13

Printer-friendly version

--SEPARATOR--

Rebirth Part 13 - Revised



By Cain129


Thanks To Stanman63 For Editing!

Synopsis:Having finely broken the security on Anna’s computer, Sarah learns that there is one other out there like here that is also in hiding and no longer being alone takes it upon herself to find him, but if the files on Steve Granger are true, Sarah could have just met her match but without his help she will be forced to take the enemy down alone.

--SEPARATOR--


Chapter 30

  

Amy made her way too, Sarah’s home and rang the doorbell. Sarah had asked her to deliver to her parents to let them know that she was in town and wanted to see them. It only took a few minutes before Janice came to the door." Hi Amy, what can I do for you asked Janice?

Hi, Mrs. Tanner I need to talk to you for a few minutes about Sarah, can we take a walk it’s really important.

“Alright Amy, Let me get my coat and I will be right with you.”

A few minutes later, the two of them were slowly walking; Amy took a quick look around to make sure that the two of them were alone.

“Sarah is back in town, Mrs. Tanner I was with her yesterday. She is doing alright and wants you to meet her.”

"What's wrong that she is not with you?"

"She has to be really careful, there are people looking for her, right now, and she wants to explain what is going on. She gave me this note to give to you; it will tell you where to meet her. Mrs. Tanner you need to be careful, Sarah thinks that the house is bugged."

Thanks Amy, Andrew and I have been worried sick about Sarah”

“I know, and Sarah feels terrible for having to leave, but she left to protect all of us. The people that are after her are really dangerous. You will understand once you are able to talk to Sarah.”

[-][+][-]

 
Once Janice was alone, she read the note all that it said was Central Park tomorrow 2:P.M. and I will be watching for both of you. Love Sarah. 

[-][+][-]

 

The next day, Janice and Andrew arrived at the park and waited for Sarah to arrive. The two of them barely slept the night before. It was already 2:30, and they were getting ready to leave when they saw Sarah walking through one of the trails, coming toward them. Having seen their daughter, it wasn’t long before the two of them ran over to her.

After everyone finished hugging and kissing one another, “I have a place where we can talk; it’s not safe for me to be out, people looking for me.”

“What happened, Sarah? Why did you leave so suddenly?" asked her father.
“Later, Daddy, I will explain everything, just not here, Adam's car is parked close.”

[*][*][*]

After reaching Adam’s car and everyone climbed inside, I drove back to the cottage. I was glad to be back at the cottage, I felt safe there and no one really knew about it. I took Mom and Dad back too the lake and the three of us took a seat.

I turned to them and said, "Time for the truth," and started explaining that happened to me.

Dad was angry when he found out about the kidnapping and what they were going to do to me once they found out about the Nanites not working. They both understood though, once I explained that it was our own government that was hunting me and why I had to disappear. Mom and Dad didn’t like it, but understood.

I then told them about my plan to expose the program to the press and told them about the computer that I had stolen that was loaded with files that would help, then finally told them the story of Steve Granger and how he had been running for the last few years. When I finely finished explaining everything, my parents came over and took me in their arms.

I was so happy having the two of them back that I couldn’t help but start crying. Over the last couple of months, I had held everything inside and tried to be strong. But when it came to my parents, all the pain that I had suffered had finely been released and I found myself crying like a baby. Being able to let it out felt like a weight was taken of my shoulders.

Mom and Dad stayed with me most of the day and understood now why I had to stay away. Both wanted to help, but to be honest, I had enough help and having them around would only take my mind off the mission I needed to stay focused on.


Chapter 31

Steven Granger was a hard man to find. If you were lucky enough to find him, you would discover just how dangerous he was. For the most part, he was a good man and had served his country for two tours of duty in Afghanistan before that terrible day. It all happened so fast, everything in him had told him to open fire as the child ran at him.

He knew that something wasn’t right, but his eyes saw the child and not the risk that he was taking. He wasn’t the only one, but he was the closest to the child when the bombs detonated and sent scrap metal everywhere.

When Steve woke up, he was being evacuated to a near by M*A*S*H unit. It was there that he learned just how badly that he had been hurt. The doctors did everything possible to save him and were eventually able to have him flown home. There was a standing order that had only recently been sent out and Steve as a perfect match for their needs; he was terminal with no hope of survival.

After arriving, he was taking to Anna Vandervolt and given his first set of injections. Over the next few days, his status gradually improved till the he was completely healed. But the Nanites continued working and didn’t go dormant like they were supposed too.

Anna had run tests on Steve and noticed that his skeletal structure was now enlarging as was his muscular mass. There was something else happening too. Had she seen it at the time, she would have most likely put a stop to things and terminated Steve.

He had become mentally unstable and was hit with bits of rage that made him uncontrollable. Even the programming from the nanites was unable to modify his behavior. At that point, something else began to happen. His memories returned of what had happened and what they had done to him, afterwards.

He was not a machine that they could control like they were planning; he was a human being and wasn’t going to be their puppet. His rage took over, being trained soldier, he did the only thing that he could, and he fought back.

Just about everyone Steve came into contact with that day with ended up dead or in the hospital. He had made his escape, but became a target in the process. There was no where that he could go; he was alone with no money or even a place to live.

Everyone that he knew though that he was dead; the Army had made sure of that. He knew from that day on that he had one mission and was going to carry it out even if it cost him his life.

[-][+][-]

He eventually made contact with his sister Kelly, and shared with her everything that had happened and what they had done to him. From that day onward, she was his eyes and ears. It was her idea to use the newspaper as a means of contacting him. The classified ad that she posted was a simple one; it was a wanted ad for a used carburetor for a BMW Isetta whenever Kelly needed to get a hold of him or vise versa, the ad was posted and they would meet at a park outside of town. They only used the ad sparingly because they didn’t want to risk someone figuring it out, but at the moment, it was there only means of communication.

So when Steve saw the ad posted, he knew that Kelly needed to talk to him, and would be waiting at the park the following day at 11:A.M. It pissed him off, because his intelligence told him that they had finally restarted the Super Soldier Program. It had been closed down for the last three years, ever since his escape.

They had been working on creating a new sleeper agent, and the last he had heard was that they were finished and the agent was already placed. That was all that he was able to find out and hadn’t been able to reach the informant for months.

Steve’s worst fear was that he would have to face this supper soldier, knowing how fast technology changes, he could be out matched. The only real hope was his rage. When it took over, everything became enhanced.

Including the abilities, which he gained thanks to his Nanites; over the last three years, he had learned to control them and could use them now without loosing control. There was a time though, that if they were activated, that he couldn’t control them and there were disastrous consequences that lead to the death of other people. Granted, they were hunting him, but his intention was not to kill them.

[-][+][-]

The following morning, Steve was at the park, he was well hidden as he watched his sister from a distance. He wouldn’t make contact till he was sure that she was alone. After Kelly took a seat, he made his way around the park making sure the coast of clear before he went over to her.

When Kelly saw her older brother coming, she ran over to him and the two of them hugged one another. It had been almost 6 months since they had talked to one another. Steve took a seat on the bench next to his sister.

“So, what’s going on, Kelly?”

“I had a visit a few days ago Steve, He name is Sarah Tanner and she knew all about you?”

“What did she have to say?”

“She is like you and wants to talk to you”

“It could be a trap Kelly; she could be setting me up.”

“She says that she has Anna’s computer and has enough information to take them down”

Steve sat there taking in what Kelly had just told him, this is what he wanted. If Sarah was telling the truth, this could be the chance that he needed to get his life back and finely stop running.
He was going to meet her, but it would be on his terms. It was the only way that he would know for sure if it was a trap or not.

"Kelly, setup a meeting to meet at Burnaby Mountain Park, at 11:A.M. I will be wearing a blue ball cap and sunglasses."

"Will do, bro."

“So how have you been?”

“I am doing alright, just been worried sick about you”

“Sorry Kelly, I wish that I could be around more”

“It’s not your fault; I understand you never asked for any of this.”

“I know, but every time, we see each other, I put you in danger. I couldn’t live with myself if something happened to you, Kelly.”

“Maybe this time things will be different, I have a good feeling about Sarah, I think she is telling the truth, but why they would choose someone so young is beside me.”

“Not really, would you expect a child her age to a trained killer," Steve asked with a frown.

Kelly thought for a minute, “I guess not, but what are you going to do if it’s a trap?”

“Whatever I have to do Kelly, I learned my lesson in Afghanistan on how looks can be deceiving, I don’t plan on repeating 'that' mistake.”

[*][*][*]

Steve stayed for about an hour with Kelly. The two of them talked about things, then both went there separate ways. Steve wished that he could have stayed longer, but he knew that every moment that they spent together would put Kelly in danger. So he headed home to start his own investigation. He believed that you could never know enough about your enemy and was going to find everything he could about Sarah Tanner.

Steve used his computer and did a search on Sarah Tanner, in all aspects she was your everyday teenage girl, at least up to recently, she had been hit by a drunk driver and the court case was still ongoing. There was also a missing person’s report that had been filed on her.

Steve knew that something wasn’t right and went over to his closet, inside was a box on the floor. He took it out and placed it on his bed and started going through it. He pulled out a fake police badge and other identification and then locked up and headed outside to his car and started driving.

It was around 2:30 P.M. when he arrived at his location and made his way to the door and rang the door bell. He didn’t have to wait very long before a woman came and answered.

"Mrs. Janice Tanner, I am Detective Johnson and I have been assigned to your daughter’s case I was wondering if I could have a few minutes of your time.”

[-][+][-]

Meanwhile, something quiet different is happening across town. Anna Vandervolt is sitting in a hospital room; a friend has dropped in and has brought special gift for her, "Anna, I am sorry that I couldn’t make it sooner, I wish that I could have, but there was so much work that needed to be done. But I am here, now, and I will help you. Together we will get that little bitch."

She then walked over to Anna with a needle and injected the contents into Anna’s arm; there was an immediate reaction in Anna’s eye which slowly started to change as the life returned to her eyes.
Anna looked up and tried to speak but couldn’t yet.

“Just be patient Anna, it will take time for the Nanites to do the job.”

Anna smiled as she looked up at her daughter,” Thanks, Carol.”


End of Part Thirteen


To Be Continued In Part Fourteen

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmm late introduction of such a key character

Also, her parent's reaction to her being really not her daughter at least in the head needs a bit of an explanation. If I found out my daughter was kinda a pod person (a rough analogy) I would think that I might want to mourn the person ( not body ) that has gone. Kinda like an Alzheimer's but with the core person being replaced.

Kim

Let me get a few things

Let me get a few things straight the main character is not being replaced, I thought it would be a good idea to add some kind of background to Steve Granger, considering he is going to be playing a part from this point on in the story and Sarah's parents don't know about her previous life all they they know is there daughter was experimented on while she was in the hospital.

When it comes to her parents they already knew some of what was going on because Sarah had sent Megan to talk to them before she left for Calgary. It is not easy to put a story together and it doesn't matter how hard you work at it because there are always people that will pick it apart. I am not a professional writer, If I was maybe I would be getting paid something for the time that I have put into this story.

I put this story out because I have been a fan of this kind of fiction and wanted to maybe add something of my own and thought it would be fun at the same time. It is not fun having your work picked apart but I am not going to let all the negative comments get to me because for the most part I have received plenty of positive messages from people that have enjoyed the story so far.

Cain129

The only problem I have with this story

Is that I have to wait for the next part! I am really enjoying this, and I look for it every time I log in. Well done! Yeah, you're right, it does need a bit of tweaking, but I just skimmed past that and enjoyed the story. I can hardly wait for the next chapter!

Wren

Ditto

What's the phrase, "a diamond in the rough"?

You'll get better with practice and any flaws as it stands are correctable. The key elements to me are can the writer tell a story and what are the motivations behind important characters -- an importan aspect of understanding a story. You have a story *I* want to follow. And we have most if not all of the motivations behind the important characters. Two for two!

A good proofer you are comfortable with will fix the rest. Even the best proofers don't catch it all on the first *pass*.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Rebirth Part 13

Wonder if Steve will meet Sarah's parents? Lot's of potential for drama, here.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine