Rebirth Part 11

Printer-friendly version

 

--SEPARATOR--Rebirth Part 11
By, Cain129

Thanks To SuZie For Editing!

 

Synopsis: For the last two months, Sarah has been in hiding but the time has come to fight back. The lines have been drawn and a plan has been set in motion.

--SEPARATOR--

 

 

Chapter 24

 

Sarah watched Dr. Picard as she removed the hood. When he was finally able to see he was face to face with one of his kidnappers.

Dr. Picard looked over at Sarah in shock, and asked, “Why?”

“Because there are only two people I trust, and right now they’re outside. I brought you here Leo, because I need to know whether or not you are involved.”

“What are you talking about Sarah?”

“I am talking about what happened in the hospital, how is it that I am alive?”

“Sarah believe me, I really don’t know. It was a miracle. That is all I know.”

“Alright Leo, would you like to see another miracle?”

I walked over to the counter, picked up a sharp knife, and advanced on the doctor. I saw the fear in his eye as I approached him.

“Sarah put the knife down please.”

“Relax Leo. I am not going to use it on you.”

I took a seat across from him and used the knife on my hand.

“Sarah, are you crazy? Put the knife down!”

“It’s alright Leo, just watch.”

I took the knife and ran it across my hand until it started bleeding, then took a cloth and used it to clean the wound so the cut was visible. I moved closer to Leo so he could see the cut healing. The look on his face said everything. He was truly surprised. If he had known about the Nanites then his response would have been different.

“Sarah, that is not possible. Nobody heals that fast!”

“That is my point Leo, and that is just one example of the power that I have.”

“How is that possible Sarah?”

“When I was in the hospital I was injected with microscopic robots, called Nanites. It’s some top secret military project. Those Nanites were the reason that I recovered, but something went wrong. Their job was to repair the damage, then program me to be a sleeper agent. I was supposed to be a weapon without my knowledge. Someone they could turn on and off as they pleased, and for the most part I would appear to be an ordinary teenaged girl. Who would ever expect someone my age to be an assassin? That is what they were trying to accomplish.”

“Then something went wrong. The Nanites refused to take their orders. They were going to kill me then, but I was able to escape thanks to the Nanites that are inside me. They changed me that day. I was stronger and faster than ever before. They gave me other gifts, as well. My brain is a little like a computer. Whatever I see or read I remember, and I can do things with my mind. I can even control people but I am still learning to handle that ability. Ever since I escaped, the government has been chasing me.”

I stood up, walked over to Leo, and cut the bindings that were holding him.

“I need your help, Leo. I need to take them down once and for all. I need to get the proof and expose them to the press. That is the only way that they will leave me alone and I can have my life back. Will you help me?”

I could tell that Leo was angry hearing what they did to me and what they were going to make me do for them.

“We need to get you to the hospital Sarah, if I can get a blood sample with the Nanites inside it and run some tests on you that will be a good start.”

“I can do that Leo, but I have to be careful. There are too many people watching for me”

“What do you know about Dr. Anna Vandervolt, Leo?”

“I heard was she was working for a Gamine Enterprises, a medical company that is researching new technologies. However, the last that I heard she was fired for misconduct. Since then, I have no idea what she has been up to.”

“She was the one who had me kidnapped, Leo.”

“I guess that we know what she was up to then,” Leo said with a frown.

“There is one other problem; there is someone at the hospital feeding them with information. How else would they have known about me?”

“You are right Sarah; we need to be careful. The last thing we need is someone to tip off the wrong people that you are in the building.”

“I have a few patients that are Islamic, I could register you as one of them, you would have to wear a head scarf, but that would at least hide your identity.”

“That could work, Leo. I will ask Megan to pick one up for me after they drop you off at the hospital. I am sorry for grabbing you the way that we did, but it’s hard to know right now who I can trust.”

“That’s alright Sarah, from everything you have told me I can understand, but I better be going otherwise there are going to be people asking questions.”

“Alright Leo, I will have Adam drop you off. This is my email. When you can arrange everything, send me the time and your patient’s information and I will come in for the tests. Thanks Leo.”

I had Adam drop Leo off at the hospital. Megan decided to stay so that the two of us could have some time alone to talk. It was really nice having some time to just hang out together. Megan and I went down to the lake and sat at the water’s edge. She filled me in on all the local gossip. It was just nice having her there with me. I wished that she could have just moved in with me but that would have caused too much trouble.

Chapter 25

Adam returned a couple of hours later. The drive only took an hour but he was being extra careful to make sure that he wasn’t being followed. He had made one stop along the way and picked up a large pizza for the three of us.

Adam: “So I take it that Dr. Picard wasn’t involved?”

“He is clean. He was just as surprised as the two of you were.”

“So what now?” asked Megan.

“Dr. Picard wants to get a sample of my blood and run some tests. He is hoping that the Nanites will show up in my blood work.”

“I am going to need a drive into town tonight. I want to hit Anna Vandervolt’s place and see if there is anything there that can help.”

Adam: “When do you want to go Sarah?”

“I think it would be best to hit it after dark. Megan, I am going to need your help tonight.”

“What are we looking for?” asked Megan.

“We are going after her computer, address books, and journals and anything that might have information on what they have done to me.”

Megan: “I guess that Adam and I should just hang out here for the rest of the day. We should head into town and pick up some supplies.”

Adam: “I need to make a run home and pick up a few things. I have a set of walkie-talkies. They don’t have the greatest range but they should be alright for our needs. I can drop the both of you off first and pick you up in a couple hours if that’s alright.”

So an hour later Megan and I climbed out of Adam’s car, I was wearing a light blue sundress and a pair of sunglasses that I had borrowed from Megan. Before he drove off, Adam said he would meet us at McDonald’s in a couple of hours.

The first stop that we made was along the boardwalk. There were many stores around but not all of them were open, being a tourist town mostly closed during the off-season. However, a few did stay open for the locals.

It was a nice small town and I liked it here, mostly because it was quiet compared to the city. The only bad thing was everything closed early and there were no buses, so you pretty much needed your own transportation. Whereas the city never closed, there were buses at all hours, not that a 16-year-old needs to be running the road after midnight but it’s nice to know that you have that option.

“This would be perfect for you,” Megan said, holding up a very revealing bikini.

“I think Adam would enjoy that more than I would Megan”

“You’re right Sarah, but I would love to see the look on his face when he sees you in it.”

“Me too,” I said with a grin.

“So how are you doing Megan?”

“Alright I guess, though it has been hard not having you around, Sarah.”

“I know Megan. I have been going through the same thing. I never really had a close friend until you came into my life. I just can’t picture my life without you there now.”

“I feel the same Sarah. When you told me the truth, it was hard. Sarah and I had always been like sisters, and then she was gone. But I can see now that part of her is living on through you and, to be honest, the two of you are very much alike. Maybe that is why you are here to live the life that she couldn’t.”

“I really don’t know what to say Megan. I wish things could have been different for the real Sarah. She didn’t deserve to die and for the longest time I felt guilty about that. I had a full life for the most part. It might not have been the life that I wanted, but Sarah really didn’t have a chance to live her life at all.”

“You shouldn’t feel guilty, Sarah. None of this was your choice, and had things gone differently the both of you would have died that day.”

“I know you’re right Megan and I have come to grips with things now. But at first it was hard because I was living her life, living with her parents, dating her boyfriend and hanging out with her friends. Nothing back then was my own, if you know what I mean. Things are different now that you and Adam know the truth.”

Megan and I spent the next couple of hours going from store to store, and in the end we only picked up a few things. I looked at my watch and then turned to Megan. “We should head over to McDonald’s. Adam will be arriving anytime now. Maybe we can grab a bite to eat before heading home.”

 

Chapter 26

Adam showed up shortly after Megan and I arrived at McDonald’s. Megan and I had already grabbed a table and he came over to join us. I had ordered a cheeseburger and fries while Megan and Adam went with Big Macs. The three of us relaxed and enjoyed being kids for a change. It was just nice to get way from all the drama and spend time with my friends. None of us was really in a hurry, so after we finished eating we drove over to the beach. It was still too cold to go into the water but it was nice just to walk along the water’s edge.

Megan told me about the new guy in her life. His name was Bobby and she really liked him. I couldn’t wait to meet him, as he seemed pretty cool. He was on the football team. Adam had introduced the two of them and they had hit it off almost from the start.

Megan: “Guys I am going to go find a phone and give Bobby a call. I will catch up to you later. Behave yourselves while I am gone.”

“Alright, Megan. I am sure that Adam and I can find something to do in the meantime.”

“Didn’t I just tell the two of you to behave,” Megan said with a smile, before turning to walk away.

Adam reached over and put his arm around me as we continued walking. It felt good to be in his arms again.

“This is nice, Adam.”

“Yes it is Sarah, but I think Megan was making an excuse to give us some time alone.”

“So what is this Bobby like, Adam?”

“He is pretty cool, and Megan and him they make a good couple.”

“Good! I am happy for her. She deserves to have a decent guy in her life.”

“God, I will be glad when things get back to normal for the both of us Sarah!”

“I will be too, honey. Just be patient with me and it will happen.”

“I know it will Sarah, but if you have to leave again, then I am going with you. I don’t care how dangerous it is. I would rather face it with you than be safe alone.”

When I looked over at him I could tell that he was dead serious, but I had no plans of leaving. Whatever happened I was here to stay.

The two of us took a seat on the sand and it wasn’t long before I was lost in his embrace. I soon found myself falling back into the sand with Adam leaning over me. As we kissed I felt his hand caressing one of my breasts. It was at that moment that my desire for him took over and I wanted him, as much as he wanted me. When he rolled completely on top of me I could feel him. He was just as excited as I was. I looked up at him and gently touched the side of his face.

“Adam, we need to stop, I want to be with you but not here and now, baby.”

“Alright Sarah, guess I got a little carried away.”

“We both did, baby. When I am ready, you will be the first to know. Now just shut up and hold me, Adam!”

Adam and I lay there for about an hour just talking and enjoying each other’s company, when I noticed Megan walking towards us.

“Don’t the two of you look comfortable.”

I couldn’t help but start blushing. “I guess that we kind of lost track of the time, Megan.”

“That’s alright Sarah. I thought the two of you could use some time to yourself.”

“Thanks, Megan. That was nice of you. How’s Bobby doing?”

“He is doing fine. He has some friends over and they’re playing Halo on the Xbox.”

The sun was starting to go down so the three of us made our way back to the car and made the drive home. Once inside I grabbed a few cokes and joined the two of them in the living room.

“Alright, I guess that we need to get down to business,” I said with a frown. “Adam, I am going to need you to keep watch. Were you able to get the radios?”

“They are in the trunk, Sarah, along with some other tools that I thought we would need.”

“Megan, once we are in there I will need you to grab anything that you think might be useful.”

“What if there is an alarm system? Do you have a way around that Sarah?”

“I am hoping that my Nanites can help me with that issue, I am supposedly a killing machine, so I would think they would have added sabotage to my little bag of tricks.”

“Let’s hope that you’re right Sarah, otherwise the three of us might end up in a holding cell and Daddy would be pissed off.”

That could still happen, I thought to myself. The three of us were kids playing in an adult world that was cruel and unforgiving. I would have to do whatever needed doing to protect the two of them. They were taking the greatest risks. The Nanites inside me could possibly heal me if I was hurt badly, but Adam and Megan didn’t have that option. For them, one mistake could cost either one their lives.

We arrived at Dr. Anna Vandervolt’s home around 11 pm. It had taken us longer than expected to make the trip, as we stopped at the Westgate Mall where we would steal a car. I hated having to do it, but there really wasn’t a choice. The last thing we needed was for someone to see Adam’s car at the doctor’s house and get his license plate number. It would lead right to him.

I was surprised how quickly I was able to hotwire the car, and soon Megan and I were off. Adam followed behind us until we were a few blocks away from Anna’s house. He then parked his car and climbed inside with Megan and me, carrying a small duffel bag that had the radios and tools.

As soon as I got a good look at Anna’s place, I knew that she had a decent alarm system. However, as I suspected, the information to disarm it was programmed into my Nanites and within a few minutes we were clear to make our move. Adam waited outside until I was able to open the garage door. Then he brought the car inside and gave Megan and me a hand in the search. It would have been easier if we could have turned the lights on but we really didn’t want anyone knowing that anyone was in the house.

I eventually found her laptop and there were a few memory sticks inside her desk, I had Adam put the computer and memory sticks into the car, while I went on the search for the safe. I knew that was going to be the hardest to get into. I eventually found it inside her bedroom. It was inside her closet hidden by a wall of clothes. The safe had a combination lock and was much too heavy for anyone to move. I had no choice but to open it. I started turning the dial and listened for the clicks, but had no luck. The dial was insulated, making it harder to hear the tumblers. I thought to myself, now what? Then I had an idea. The Nanites were able to make changes to my other senses, so why not my hearing?

At that moment my head felt like it was going to explode. When the pain left, I could hear everything around me. It was very overwhelming, because not only could I hear what was going on inside the house but I could also hear the neighbors talking, the sound of cars off in the distance and much more. It took me a few minutes to tune them out but I was able to get control of it eventually. Then I started working on the safe. It only took me a few minutes, with my enhanced hearing allowing me to hear the clicks. I had the door open quickly.

Inside the safe was a briefcase, and when I opened it I found that it was full of money. I had no idea how much, but it was a lot. There was also a tray of CD’s which I quickly grabbed, as well as a bunch of technical journals. I had no idea what it was all about but grabbed everything that was inside and put it inside the car. The last step was to make sure that we cleaned everything up and left no traces that we were there. That took about 20 minutes before we were ready to leave.

We drove back to where Adam had parked his car and moved everything over, then spent a few minutes wiping down the car that we had stolen. We used Adam’s car to drop off Megan first, before going back to the cottage.

“Thanks, Megan, for all your help. I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Anytime, sis. I will drop over tomorrow sometime to give you a hand sorting.”

“That would be great, Megan. Can you do me one favor?”

“Sure Sarah what do you need?”

“Megan, I am going to need you to pick up a black head scarf, so that I can cover up when I go to the hospital. Dr. Picard had a patient that is Islamic and he will be registering me under her name so I am going to need to look the part.”

“Alright Sarah, I can do that. Have a good night and I will see you tomorrow. Love you.”

“I love you too Megan, and thanks.”

After Adam started driving I looked over at him.

“Adam, how are you doing?”

“Alright I guess, I was pretty nervous though.”

“I was too Adam, but more for you and Megan.”

“Well, we are safe now and we got what we needed, Sarah.”

“I am lucky to have the both of you, Adam.”

“Really, I think it’s the other way around, Sarah.”

It was around 12:30 am after getting back to the cottage and lugging everything inside. Adam looked over at me and said that he should get going as it was a long drive home.

I looked at him over at him. “Adam, I don’t want you to leave. Stay here with me tonight.”

“I don’t know, Sarah. Are you sure?”

“I have never been sure of anything in my life except for you honey.”

Adam took me into his arms. Once again I was lost in his embrace, and that night I found out what it was truly like to be a woman in love with a man.

 

 

End of Part 12

To be continued in part 13

 

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really enjoy this story!

I wonder if they got anything useful (besides the money) in their raid. I hope they did, anyway. Sarah should have Megan or Adam talk to her parents, at least let them know she is okay. They are probably very worried about her.

Wren

Rebirth Part 11

WAR has been declared upon the Invisible Enemy that will have repercussions far beyond anything that Sarah and her Army would ever begin to fathom. Just how big their Opposition is is unknown, nor if it has global connections. Do Sarah and her Army have hidden friends? Will be interesting to find out.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I can't believe -

That sex came before, checking out the data on the computer and disks!

I thought that it was critical to their survival? (data, not sex)

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita