Out of the Ashes 2, Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Out of the Ashes, Book 2 Part 5

Out of the Ashes, Book 2
by Misty Meenor
A Comic RetCon Universe Story
The Martian Manhunter and Miss Martian characters are the property of DC Comics. Captain America, the Red Skull and Union Jack are properties of Marvel Comics. American Dream used with the kind permission of Lilith Langtree.

I shook my head. "Something's not right. I've seen the living quarters. There were younger children here. There's no indication they were infected and turned, and if they were abandoned when their parents turned, we'd have found signs of it. Where have they gone?"

"That is no concern of yours."

The voice came from the shadow of a storage shed. It belonged to a tall man, with short-cropped blond hair, in military fatugues bearing the Red Skull insignia. Four others appeared behind him, fanning out to cover us with automatic weapons. "Your more immediate concern, Miss Mars, should be, 'How do I remain very still to keep my associates from being killed.'"

Court sighed and glanced at me. "They've got the doctor, too."


The man raised an eyebrow, nodding to Court in acknowledgement. "Indeed. American Dream, isn't it? She will be joining us, and then we shall be taking a short trip." His voice grew cold. "I must warn you both that your associates are hostages to your good behavior. At the first sign of trouble, they will be shot. And," he strode over to Major Weiss, eyeing the big man casually, then struck him in the chest with the palm of his hand with such force that Weiss was knocked backwards through the air to land stretched out on his back. "You will find we are not without a few surprises."

Weiss rolled to all fours, gasping for breath. The Colonel and Major Roth attempted to help him to his feet, but he shrugged them off and stood on his own. "Impressive stunt," he acknowledged. "Be sure and let me know when it's my turn."

"It won't happen," the man said dismissively. "Ah. Here comes the good doctor."

The doctor was escorted by two more soldiers, with rather efficient-looking submachine guns at the ready. I exchanged a glance with Court, she shook her head minutely. We came here for information, it seemed we'd be getting more than expected. One bright spot is that he didn't seem to know about Jack.

I just hope Jack doesn't do anything stupid. I wanted to catch his eye, but he was standing behind us.

The man faced the group of us and offered a short bow, clicking his heels together in the Teutonic style. "You may address me simply as Nummer Eins. I am aware of your names, already. Doctor, I believe you and Miss Dream are each in possession of a ring with some rather special properties. You will hand these over now."

Court glared at him. "How did you know about those?"

"It is enough that I know. The rings, please. I will not ask again." At his signal, the soldiers raised their weapons.

"They won't work for you," Court warned, as she and the doctor removed their rings and dropped them into the man's outstretched hand.

"That misses the point, which is, they will no longer work for you." His smirk quickly became a grimace and he gasped in pain as the rings flared with a brilliant silvery light, and he hurriedly dumped them out of his hand onto the packed dirt. We could feel a wave of intense heat, and I stepped back involuntarily as the rings became too bright to look at directly, before fading away completely, leaving no trace but the afterimage swimming in our vision.

Damn, I was gonna miss my ring. I felt like I'd just lost a friend, although I knew the rings were just an extension of the AI in Jade's starship.

The man frowned. "Unfortunate, but we couldn't risk bringing them with us anyway. The Leader was most explicit." His eyes flashed to the soldiers. "Separate them, the metas from the others. Oh, and do strip off those ridiculous suits. It was amusing for a while but that color is getting tedious. I can assure you, there is no virus here."

The soldiers split us into two groups, a few paces apart, and I noticed with some chagrin that they'd included Jack with Court and me. We peeled out of the suits, feeling naked in our bare feet and disposable paper coveralls. All of the soldiers remained with the hostages. "Your friends will go first. If you cause any trouble, if we don't arrive precisely on schedule, they will be killed. Understand?"

We nodded our assent, and we just stood there for a few moments. I was straining to hear the sound of an incoming vehicle -- a helicopter, a truck, anything, when the other group just... vanished.

Oh, crap. Telep --

There was a soundless, colorless implosion, and a feeling like I was simultaneously being stretched into an infinite length and squeezed into an infinitesimal point, before being stuffed through a pinhole in reality that the universe didn't know was there.

-- orter.

Darkness. I blinked a few times as my eyes adjusted from bright tropical sunlight to the lower light of our destination. It was cooler, too, and the oppressive jungle humidity was gone.

As my eyes accommodated to the light, I took in our new surroundings. We were standing on the rocky floor of a large cave -- a cavern, I quickly realized, as the scale of the place became apparent. The open space had been refitted as a large warehouse; arc lighting mounted at intervals cast sparse circles of illumination across the open floor, throwing shadows in all directions while leaving the distant ceiling shrouded in permanent night. The far ends of the cavern remained unlit, although with my enhanced vision I could make out a sizable motor pool at one end, assorted vehicles ranging in size from jeeps to heavy trucks parked in neat rows. Electrical cables crisscrossed the floor. Most of the remaining available wallspace was lined several rows deep with crates and assorted supplies. There was a steady industrial background hum, echoing and re-echoing off the distant stone walls and roof. Possibly generators or ventilation equipment, mixed with intermittent machine noises I couldn't identify.

Our friends were a few paces away, being hustled by the soldiers towards a pair of mundane-looking double doors leading out of the cavern. If we were ever to seize the initiative, it would have to be now -- but I was paralyzed by the risk to the others. The Colonel must have had the same thought; suddenly he seemed to stumble, and fell on one knee, causing the soldiers escorting the group to bunch together before they could stop. The majors must have been waiting for this, and set upon the surprised guards, attacking them hand-to-hand, too close for their automatic weapons to be brought to bear. They were hopelessly outnumbered, but they never expected to win alone. In a flash Court and I were in their midst; and a few seconds after that there were two piles on the floor; unconscious soldiers, and guns.

"That will be enough, escape is quite out of the question." The voice had come out of the shadows, dry and amused. Nummer Eins had not moved from his spot, but his smirk had grown wider. A few handclaps sounded, sarcastic applause. "Most impressive, I admit -- but where is the rest of your party? Missing anyone?"

From behind a stack of crates stepped the doctor, a knife held to her throat. My heart sunk when I realized who was holding the knife.

"Jack."

He flashed a grin. "Afraid so. I trust you're not too disappointed."

Soldiers poured from the double doors, surrounding us, but Court ignored them, advancing on Jack. "How could you do this, Jack? Brian was a hero. Your father was a hero. How could you betray their memories like this? You loved your brother. He thought the world of you. What happened?"

Jack's face twisted in rage. "What happened? He died in the fucking desert, is what happened. Trying to force your American democracy down the throats of people nobody cares about, who didn't fucking want it in the first place, all so you fucking Yanks can flex your global muscles, pat yourselves on the back, and feel good about your oil supply." His voice hardened. "When Brian died, it tore my father's heart out. He just... stopped living. Your America killed them both."

"Ahem. Jack, do shut up now, you're boring us," the voice interrupted. "Miss Dream, that will be close enough. I'm sure Jack is quite fast enough to slit the doctor's throat before you so much as twitch, but there's no need to test him." Nummer Eins produced a small pistol of an unfamiliar design, and pointed it at Court.

"Introductions are so tedious, but, I suppose necessary." The source of the voice stepped into view, a man of medium height, wearing a laboratory coat, the kind that buckled side-to-side, all the way to the neck. His head seemed too large for his body, his skull appearing emaciated, misshapen. He was quite bald, with pale, almost translucent skin the texture of thin parchment, drawn tightly over his bones. Something had made the capillaries in his face and scalp rupture, giving it a blotched, reddish tone. He gave the appearance of advanced age, except that his voice was strong and clear, his carriage upright, his step sure. His eyes were bright, but his heavy brow made them appear to be sunk into his head, and combined with his thin-lipped rictus of a smile, showing too many teeth, gave the rather sinister impression of a skull, set atop a living body.

"My name is unimportant. The world will know me soon enough as the Red Skull. For... rather obvious reasons." He faced the Colonel and the majors, now surrounded by a dozen soldiers. "Colonel Dmitri Illyanovitch Karpov. Major Benjamin Roth, Major Eric Weiss, I know, I know, blah, blah, blah." He waved his hand in irritation.

"Gentlemen, the good news is, I have no particular use for you. I'll run a few tests, keep you for a week or so, and let you go. Goodbye, go now, shoo." He waved them away, and the soldiers hustled them non-too-gently through the double doors.

He turned to the doctor, still with Jack's knife at her throat, offering her a rather ghastly smile. "Doctor Elizabeth Morris. One of the world's leading authorities on diseases of the brain. You, I can use. You know what they say, good help is hard to find, and you're one of the few people equipped to appreciate my work..." His voiced trailed off tantalizingly, like he was expecting her to leap at the rare treat he was offering. He patted her cheek, then he turned away abruptly. "Or, I can kill you. Either way, you're not going home. Think on it, we'll talk later. For now, just sit tight and be a good little hostage while I talk to your meta friends."

Jack tightened his grip on the doctor as the Red Skull turned to Court, hands clasped behind his back, studying her from all sides like some zoological exhibit. Her hands clenched into fists, but she held still; the risk to the doctor was too great.

"American Dream," he finally spoke, his tone conversational, like they were chatting over tea. "Would it surprise you to know that I killed that entire village for the sole purpose of bringing you here, to this meeting?" At her horrified expression, he grinned and nodded vigorously, his grotesque head bobbing as if at a particularly fine joke, shared with a child. "Yes, yes, it's true, and here you are. I must admit, your friend" -- he shot a murderous glance at me that belied his civil tone -- "was an unexpected twist, but we adapt, we adapt. In fact -- well, that's getting ahead of ourselves, yes?"

He straightened, and rocked on his heels, lecturing Court. "Very well, then. To the point. It is one thing to have you here, but I am quite aware it is another matter entirely to keep you here." He waved a hand dismissively. "Tiger by the tail, et cetera, et cetera. So. A simple experiment is in order."

Without warning, Nummer Eins fired his strange pistol. Blue-white lightning arced, crackling and sparking over Court's body, lighting the cavern briefly with a ghastly flickering strobe. Court screamed and collapsed to the ground, writhing and twitching uncontrollably. Eins knelt by her side as she continued to spasm, and fitted a narrow metallic collar around her throat, closing it with an ominous heavy click. He attached a slim leash, which he held negligently in one hand.

The Red Skull clapped his hands in delight. "Excellent! Excellent! One can think they have a solution to a problem, but the proof is always in the pudding, yes?" Nummer Eins tugged on the leash, and Court slowly climbed to her feet, gasping for breath, her hands clutching at the collar, as the Red Skull continued. "One last demonstration. I'm afraid the leash is not just for show. Go on, go on, take it."

Nummer Eins held out the leash for Court, holding it in two fingers, smirking. Reluctantly, Court reached out for it. As he released the leash, the lightning danced over her body again, this time originating from the collar, and Court collapsed in convulsions once more, her breath coming in choking gasps. Eins plucked the leash from her nerveless fingers, and the sparking stopped, leaving a sharp tang of ozone in the air. Court's chest heaved as she gradually regained her feet, swaying unsteadily.

"The leash must always be held by somebody else. Or hung up on a special post. Anything else, and -- well, you see what happens. Oh -- and you don't want to try to remove it. The results would be quite fatal, eventually. Same thing goes for the collar, of course."

The Red Skull turned dismissively from Court towards where I had been standing. "Now, Miss Mars presents a different problem --" Except I wasn't standing there any more.

It was obvious that if there was any chance for escape, that opportunity was fading fast. With everyone's attention on Court, I'd shot up to the sanctuary of the cavern roof, trusting in the darkness to hide me, and slowly drifted to hover over Jack. His reaction time might be unbeatable, but if I could catch him by surprise... that would have to be enough.

Time ran out when the Red Skull finally noticed my absence. In the blink of an eye, I was on Jack, my hand gripping his on the hilt of the knife. Too late, he tried to slash the doctor's throat, but even with his metagene-enhanced body, he couldn't hope to match my strength, and the knife refused to budge. I tightened my grip, feeling the bones in his fingers splinter like green twigs under my hand, and he howled in pain.

Dropping the knife, I grabbed Jack by the neck and flung him hard at Nummer Eins, the collision knocking Eins back several feet, tangling them both in a heap. The leash was torn from Eins' grasp, sending Court into another helpless fit, and I scrambled to grab it. "Doctor, I need you to take this, while I --"

The doctor hadn't moved, except to clutch at the knife protruding from her stomach, an astonished expression on her face. She gasped, eyes wide with shock, unable to find her voice as the Red Skull gave the blade a vicious twist, one hand gripping her hair, holding her upright as she fell to her knees, arms wrapped around the fire in her gut. A red stain began to spread across her belly, soaking into her paper coveralls.

"Stop!" he warned, as Court and I both tensed, preparing to charge him. The now-bloody knife was once more at the doctor's throat.

"The woman has perhaps thirty minutes of intense agony before she bleeds to death. But I can save her!" he added hastily, as we continued to advance. "Good as new, in twenty-four hours, I give you my word. You want to live, don't you, doctor? You want the pain to stop? Tell them!"

The doctor hesitated a moment, her breathing short and shallow, then slowly nodded her head, unable to meet our eyes. "I-I'm sorry," she whispered.

"How can we trust you?" Court spat.

The Red Skull rolled his eyes. "You dare make this about me? This poor woman -- stay with us, Elizabeth, it's not my fault your friends want to drag this out -- this poor woman wouldn't be suffering at all if you hadn't brought this upon her!"

He sighed, and his tone became condescending. "You can't trust me, of course, I should have thought that would have been obvious by now. But I have gone to a lot of trouble to get you here, why? If I had wanted you all dead, you would most assuredly be dead, and I wouldn't have needed to bring you here to do it. Finally, I have no need for lies. The truth is more than sufficient."

He called out into the darkness. "Maria! come out here. I want you to meet these people." After a moment a woman's figure shuffled out from behind a wall of crates, slouched and moving carefully, from handhold to handhold, as if her balance was uncertain. At some point her head had been shaved bald, and her hair seemed to be growing back unevenly, in coarse tufts, in some places not at all, and could not hide the surgical scars and misshapen bulges protruding from her skull. She was dressed in institutional yellow pajamas, the cheerful color contrasting horribly with her pallid skin. She was young, no more than eighteen or twenty, but she carried herself like a decrepit old woman. Her eyes were empty and dull, her mouth slack. In one hand she clutched the arm of an old rag doll, as tattered and lifeless as herself.

Nummer Eins and Jack had untangled themselves, and moved to stand with the Red Skull. Eins wound his hand in the doctor's hair, keeping her upright, and took the knife from his boss, continuing to hold it at her throat. Jack held his pulped hand, glaring murderously at me.

"Maria is my latest project, I'm very happy with her." The woman made her way to stand unsteadily next to the Red Skull, her eyes on the floor, clutching the ancient doll to her chest with both hands, rocking from one foot to the other. "She has many talents, don't you?" He turned to whisper in Maria's ear, and the woman closed her eyes and became still for a moment. Jack and the doctor vanished soundlessly. Nummer Eins slipped the knife into his belt and stood at ease, still looking unbearably smug.

"Your friend is in the infirmary, they'll know what to do. I have a regeneration tank, one of my earliest inventions. I swear by it, myself. She'll be fine by this time tomorrow. Better than fine. It adds years to your life. Believe me, I know."

He put his arm around Maria's shoulders, ignoring her reflexive flinch. "Now, where were we? Oh, yes. Maria is the one you've been looking for. She's your zombie plague. Of course, I can't have you telling anyone, when I let you go."

He stopped, surprised. "Oh! I suppose I should have mentioned that sooner. Yes, I'm going to let you go. A week or two, at most. So sorry."

He hugged the woman, who barely seemed to notice. "Ahem. Which brings us to, how do I hold on to the incredibly powerful Miss Mars? And how will I keep you from telling anyone my little secrets? Ah. Well. Maria, show them."

Maria raised her head, her eyes meeting mine. I had a moment of panic, as I felt a presence in my head, insinuating itself, twisting around parts of my mind. There was the briefest sense of ... apology?... before it pulled. There was an obscene ripping sensation and an incandescent detonation behind my eyes, and I collapsed to the ground, senseless.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

uh oh ,....

Jack a traitor, and Miss Mars damaged mentally .... oh, boy.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Ouch!

You really do like torturing your characters, don't you?

First there was Delores, condemned to slavery courtesy of the chips. Now you've got a turncoat in the form of Jack (unless he's a double agent), Court fitted with a taser collar, Megan mindraped and newbie Ruth, who appears to be a powerful psychic who fell victim to Red Skull. So with all our heroes in this story effectively out of action and out of communication with Jade and the other metas, how the heck are you going to engineer their escape? Given what you did to Delores, it's even possibly you've only scratched the surface of pain and degradation in this story so far...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Uh Oh!

This isn't good! It seems this retcon Red Skull is just as bad as the original. However, Miss Mars has many talents. I'm afraid she's going to have to stretch herself to get out of this one. One thought however. The one strength of Cap, was his indomitable spirit. I trust that is something both Dream and he still shares.

Hugs!
Grover

Nothing worst than traitors

'cause even those who accept them cannot trust them as what is to prevent them from betraying them also.

I can see you enjoy torturing your characters. Miss Mars is gonna have to learn to withstand people trying to screw with them mentally. Superman was the same way as he was vulnerable to psychic intrusion.

Kim

Enjoy it? Moi? Would that make me... a bad person?

Basically my thought was, if Miss Mars and American Dream team up, whatever they go up against has to be really, really nasty, or they'll just steamroller him. So Red Skull has to be seriously bad news.

Did you have to make it so brutal?

What is the greatest problem is that we have no idea of the Red Skull's motivations and/or goals. Because there are two different situations when your enemy is acting like a fool - when he is one, and when he has plans you don't understand.

I mean, bio-chips were easy, subjugation and all that. But, RS is different, and what's more, since he unleashed that plague or whatever on the entire town, him sparing someone just like that means he needs them alive. Why bother with keeping them alive at all, if you don't need them in that state?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

exactly. :)

Seriously, I get the feeling that people think I'm crossing some kind of a line with my story. I'm sorry. Should I stop?

Let me ask, if you have two superheroines, both with really, really amazing powers, almost indestructible, what kind of villain is worth their while? Should they be off rescuing truckloads of big-eyed puppies from careening off cliffs?

I want it to be horrifying, and scary, and overwhelming, and I want you to worry that maybe they won't get out of this pickle -- even though, we all know they will, because they're supers!

How would you do it differently?

Don't know

It's just that you, well, went right in and gave everyone a first-rate seat on the premiere. It was very powerful, hence the reactions.

So far the greatest wild card is the teleporter, because he's a completely unknown variable in the situation. A bit lesser one is the regenerator tank and the derived technology (or to put otherwise - are a couple of slugs in the brain enough to permanently remove any and all chances of Red Skull and Jack ever appearing other than in flashbacks?).

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Apt

terrynaut's picture

Cliffhanger is a perfect way to describe the end of this chapter. It was scary for me as a reader as well as scary and full of apprehension for the characters. Yikes!

I hope you don't leave us hanging for too long. I really need to see the heroines get out of this. Please.

Thanks and kudos. I'm really liking the story so I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way.

- Terry

I'll try...

I don't want to let it go too long either. I need to sync with events in Maggie's story before she gets too far ahead of me :)

We can only hope that when

We can only hope that when the rings self-destructed, that a message was sent out to Jade and she actually tracked them to the cavern and is there in hiding, waiting for the right moment to assist Miss Mars, American Dream and the others who are being held.

Except...

...they removed the rings before they were teleported into the cavern. A surefire way of ensuring they weren't tracked by Jade... although AFAIK they weren't frisked beforehand, so it's possible one of them might have a more conventional tracker hidden within their clothing.

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Good installment

Great story so far.

Okay, we know ... SPOILER a little ... from Maggie's latest post

that Specter finds Miss Mars and despite the injuries to her mind she is intact. The Q is, is this physical injuries or just she was made to THINK she is injured?

Physical injuries her partially Martian physiology will heal. She is a powerful regenerator.

If it is part or all mental then her former cop training/mental toughness will help her. Specter seemed to be hinting at that or was that a clue to help her once she recovers?

That the poor half crippled by brain surgeries -- some kind of crude version of the slaver chip? -- young woman seemed to mentally say she was sorry before attacking Miss Mars says to me IF she can be freed of whatever is controlling her, the the Red Skull and his sick minions are DEAD. From the rag doll she has she must have been taken and experimented on since she was young. She must hate him and his goons uterly for what they have done to her and forced her to do.

As to the turncoat bastard meta/former aristocratic woman...what a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

The former bitc* deserves death but better yet would be to turn that abused young woman loose on him, strip the powers from him then find a way--- maybe the genetic crap the slavers are using -- to make her female again but crippled. Or simply restore her to exactly what she was prior but make sure she can never have powers. Then slap her in prison for life, no parole. Ooh, she hates the western nations for fighting in Afghanistan and such where her brother died, make her a peasant woman or slave in a Taliban controlled area. She seems to loath these people too so it is fitting.

Oh why was she on this mission? Didn't anyone suspect she was a turncoat?

Was she as big a piece of shi* as a woman? Or did her transformation snap her mind? Suspect she harbored hate and resentment before and the process exaggerated it or she always intended to do this.

The only possible defense for her is if SHE was chipped before her transformation and is also a pawn. Seems unlikely. Even if so, she owes them compensation he can never give as he is part of a conspiracy to kill hundreds. He/she needs to suffer.

Hum, so this was no virus or nanite plague but simply the poor girl frying all these people's minds and the pilot via a visual connection to their minds? And where are the children? And can the girl be helped? Likely one or more of those he forced her to kill were her family, parents. Poor child, she deserves retribution/justice, and help to find peace/happiness. I hope death is not the only cure for her torment.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

It Seems To Me...

It seems to me that there is no logical reason for the rings to self-destruct simply because a villian has gotten a hold of them. Those rings are communication and control stations controlled by the Ship, why should the Ship blind itself to what is going on in this emergency?

Sure, put on a show - have the rings light and heat up then become invisible, but destroy themselves? Power rings are know to be able to fly on their own, ever through Interstellar space, when they go out seeking new ring bearers. Having the rings follow their wearers invisibly once they were dropped would have been a far smarter thing to do.

Of course, if they were not close enough to their wearers to be brought along during the teleport they would have been left behind. In which case they are likely out running a search pattern over the world seeking them.

Power rings are very good at finding people though and I don't see why these rings wouldn't have the same kind of sensors.

Just a thought... :)

Reverse engineer

You don't want anybody to learn anything from the technology. Certainly not the bad guys. To reverse engineer the communication tech and protocols would give red skull there a nice advantage.

----------
The world was so full of sharp bends that if they didn't put a few twists in you, you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting in. -- Terry Pratchett

these were not power rings

Keep in mind these rings had limited functionality; they had nothing like the abilities of Jade's GL ring. As far as I know, they don't fly. Jade created them individually for the wearer, and now that she's not on Earth anymore, there's no way to replace them.

That said, the rings were highly sophisticated alien tech, and definitely didn't belong in the wrong hands. Jade was scolded for giving them out in the first place, and was ordered to deactivate them (it didn't happen).

Need to keep my eyes open...

I swear I caught sight of a man with a rawhide whip and a fedora hiding amongst the crates in that distinctly Nazi warehouse description early on.

;)

*wanders off whistling the Indiana Jones theme*

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Shhh!

You'll give the surprise ending away! ;)

Argh!

Now I've got that theme running though my head! Besides he would be at least near a hundred by now. Of course he could've survived long enough to have the meta-gene activate. Or some of those artifacts he handled could've had some kind of effect. Curse you Starbuck! Now you have me thinking about it! LOL!

Grover

Naaah, he's probably cursed

To wander the world until the very legend of his existance is forgotten by humanity. Naturally, it gives him agelessness, healing factor, and the amazing ability to escape any and all predicaments with little worry. :)

It has a single exception - he won't be able to wiggle out of his marriage, not that he wants to! ;)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I'm Loving This :)

Enemyoffun's picture

It took me a while to get around to this story---I was playing catch up---but I absolutely love it. I read all the chapters pretty much in a single setting and I love your blend of seriousness and humor, it flows very well. I'm the kind of guy who likes to see heroes put through their paces and you do a fantastic job of that, keep it up.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this story :)

EOF