Childs Play

Printer-friendly version

Just because mother's day is in May does not make it a May day story still... enjoy

We had planed this for weeks. The local salon and spa had a thirty two hour special for the mother’s day weekend. I thought it was a bit hooky, why not eight, twelve, twenty four, or forty eight, no one does thirty two hour specials. This visit is special, for couples only, it promises to leave us feeling un-stressed and years younger. I have never been in either a salon nor a spa so for me this would be a first.

The village Rec-Plex was running a special in conjunction with the spa, a two day camp with an overnight on Saturday night for any children between the ages of two and ten. They had made arrangements to keep the children entertained and out of trouble for two days, well not quite two days, just from ten on Saturday morning to six the following Sunday night.

We packed up our daughter and dropped her off for her first camping adventure, and continued on to the salon and spa. No suitcase for us we had been told that every thing was provided. If there was any problem with Connie, well the Spa was next to the Rec-Plex as was the child care center. We could be over there in a heart beat. As we dropped her off we saw that there were about thirty children and almost as many counselors.

This place is fantastic, water art everywhere along with relaxing dare I say it new age music, the lighting seems to move around and different textures in the surfaces react with flowing motions. We are lead to a cabana and asked to strip to our birthday suits, once bare we are to lay down and cover ourselves with the provided sheet. High on the wall the lights change and it looks like we are in a large pendulum clock. The pendulum swings cams throw back and forth gears spin and retreat and the music really matches it, my eyes close.

Hard to believe but it's time to pick up Connie, neither Anna-Lynn, nor I remember any details, but we both are well tanned and look like we have lost a few years. I do know for a fact that I was swimming, but I know that I did a lot of day dreaming, there is no way that I rode a horse in the last two days. As it is mother’s day, the Rec-Plex has given us a DVD of our daughter's stay, suitably condensed.

Mickey “D’s” first than home. We all have happy meals, chicken nuggets of course.

Connie is sitting in my lap, and Anna-Lynn is snuggled up besides me, we start the DVD.
We must have been early when we dropped Connie off, there looked to be about seventy or so children, I had not known that our little township had that many in this age group and look, besides our daughter, their are two other Asian girls. This holds promise for when she starts school next fall, she will not be the only one.

The children were mostly girls, only about fifteen boys in the whole group, we watched as they were taught to swim, work with crafts, ride ponies and play music with instruments they made. Still most of the time was spent on the playground equipment, with kids just being kids, oh how that looks to be fun. One of the girls with Connie had fallen off the balance beam bridge, It looked like that could have hurt, but she just ended up with a bandage on her arm and after a few minuets it was forgotten. Connie just gushed on and on about her new friends, hopefully they will see each other again this year.

As the DVD ended, I reached up a scratched the itch on my arm, why the heck I had a Dora band-aid on my arm I do not know, we just have the plain generic ones in the medicine cabinet.

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Life as a Child

Daphne Xu's picture

There's really not much point to a vacation, if one can't remember it. I'm pretty sure, they had fun as children, especially playing with their own child on a child-to-child basis. Too bad they can't remember it.

-- Daphne Xu

I'd love to see ...

... more details of what happened. Maybe whatever is blocking the memories could come unblocked, or something like that?