Praetorian: Black Guard -- Prologue

Printer-friendly version

3000 years into the future, Humanity is once again fighting for it's very survival. There of course are those heroes who make sacrifices for the sake of others. Some have to sacrifice more than most people will ever know. Thanks to the Praetorians, our lives can continue...

Avatar1.jpg

Praetorian: Black Guard
Prologue
by Sadarsa

Assholes to belly-buttons, or Nutt's to Butt's as we call it. We stood in single file, herded like cattle. Each of us practically hugging the person in front of us. I had no idea how long the line was, but every ten minutes or so the line would shuffle forward a bit before settling back down. My feet were killing me and I had begun shifting my weight from one foot to the next, unfortunately the rather massive brute behind me had felt my movements and had popped a boner. We all knew the drill, keep quite and say nothing about it, no room for queers in this man’s Army. I quietly mumbled “Sorry” to the guy behind me, breaking the unspoken rule. He just chuckled in response and I’m sure I felt him shrug. I didn’t know the guy, hell I didn’t know anyone here. This wasn’t my platoon or even my company. We were all here as potential candidates for the Praetorian program.

About three-thousand years ago the First Earth had been reduced to a class 2 planet, basically the air and water was poisonous, and had killed off most life on the planet. All that remained were certain types of bacteria and microscopic plant life in the oceans. That of course gave us hope that one day humanity will be able to return to it’s home world, but after around three millennia no one expects to see it happen in their lifetime. Anyway, humanity was forced to leave Earth and began looking for a new planet. After 300 years of drifting through space, living off replicated food created from protein packs. The survivors of humanity found a habitable world, and of course, named it Earth II.

Earth II was a huge planet, estimated to be twelve times the size of First earth. The larger planet size of course made for very long days and nights. One day was approximately ninety-four Earth hours, just under four standard Earth days. Due to the oddity of the Day/Night cycle, the original time standard was kept. Time was not the only unusual thing about Earth II though. The planet was teaming with life, lush tropical forests was the norm. Herbivores and Carnivores dominated the surface. With such complex life forms on the planet it was amazing that there was no sentient life. Earth II was quickly settled and humanity once again began to thrive. This time however we were very cautious of pollutants, and strove to live in harmony with nature while still advancing in science and technology. It had of course helped that in the last days of First Earth that Zero-point energy was discovered. With our energy problems solved all we needed was to be conservative with garbage and building materials.

As a precaution, a moon of Earth II was terraformed , the moon was small, about the size of First Earth’s moon. Originally it was done as an experiment to see if it could be done and hopefully allow for other planets and moons to be terraformed as well. Before it was terraformed the moon was called Asmodeus due to it’s sharp jutting peaks and ridges, the terrain was overall inhospitable and several people had died due to torn spacesuits on the moon while preparing for the terraforming. The project took much longer than anyone ever anticipated, and the planet was not deemed safe until 1,000 years latter. Which was a very good thing, as we needed it badly.

A government experiment dealing with viral DNA had escaped from a compound due to an earthquake. The virus had spread so fast that all life on the planet had been infected within twenty-six days (SET-Standard Earth Time). The only survivors were the construction crews, scientists, and spacers that was on Asmodeus. The virus released on Earth II was mutagenic, and caused every living thing to mutate into something very aggressive and very strong. A dog had been recorded to have mutated into a 6 foot hound with razor sharp teeth, hide thick as a bull and a REALLY bad attitude. Humans who had been infected lost their sanity and would attempt to claw or bite anyone they had seen, thus spreading the virus. Oddly the infected recognized each other and would only attack people and creatures thus far unaffected. Fortunately the virus had quickly mutated and was only air-born for the first five or six hours of it’s life, but that was all it needed to infect the entire planet.

Asmodeus, or Third Earth as it is known today, was never really meant to sustain our whole race indefinitely. 500 years was the estimated duration and that was being forgiving. We are pushing 800 years now and we have used up almost all of the resources that Third Earth can provide. All that remains is aluminum and even that is beginning to become harder to find. In good judgment the government had begun researching different methods of obtaining materials from Earth II. All attempts proved to be disastrous, as most activity would draw the unwelcome attention of the current inhabitants of the planet.

A recent technology, called an N.T.D. or Neural Transference Device, was at first sold on the black market, and though it probably still is, the government crackdown on the NTD makes even the black market sweat at the sight of one. Possession of an NTD is an automatic death sentence, no questions asked thanks in part to the Hawthorn Act of Identity theft. It was discovered that Emperor Hawthorn had been abducted and had the NTD used to swap him through several different people. First was a terrorist who took his body and power, then he was swapped with a two year old girl. It took five years for anyone to believe his story, and once his case hit the supreme court the Hawthorn Act was quickly instated. Videos of a regal looking seven year old girl talking circles around trial lawyers gave Emperor Hawthorn a massive boost in public support as well as his body back.

Human cloning, at least to the point of sentience, has been banned for several millennia. However, scientist Peter Cartwright developed a new cloning method. The specifics have been classified, but it was theorized that in conjunction with the NTD, a person could live forever. They would clone themselves and when they grew older or were seriously injured, they could used the NTD to jump into their clone. Due to the nature of the cloning process a personality was never developed in the clone, thus no breaking of any laws, of course this is all just theory. It was that theory that lead to the creation of the Praetorians. Using a clone crafted specifically to be immune to the virus unleashed on Earth II and the NTD it was possible to give people a body capable of living on Earth II.

Due to the pressing need of resources the NTD was authorized for the sole use of creating Praetorians. A year after the first 100 Praetorians were sent to Earth II, the first influx of steel came to Third Earth, as did the stories of the heroics of their Praetorian guards. The stories were astounding, of one person fighting against several of the wild beasts and living. The most famous tale is of the Praetorian Black Guard, the five most elite Praetorians on Earth II. It was said that the five of them stood up to practically an army, as wave after wave assaulted their mining camp one night. A 45 second video clip was smuggled out and released to the public illegally. The Praetorians themselves looked beastly, two in the video clip looked something like wolf-men. An elongated mouth that was almost a snout, heavy hair that almost resembled fur, clawed hands.

Needless to say the public was at first in an uproar about the monstrosities committed against these individuals. Even today, 10 years latter, there are still some protest against it, but it is now common knowledge that all the Praetorians are volunteers who are told all the nasty secrets before they submit to becoming a Praetorian. Because of their noble sacrifice to the human race, Praetorians are held in the highest regard, even so, very few are permitted back on Third Earth. Which brings me to why I’m standing here in this hall, uncomfortably sandwiched between these two big guys.

As we shuffle forward I once again check the time, 2:45, it’s only been ten minutes. I still couldn’t tell how far back in line I was. I’m somewhat short for a Space Marine, at five foot six inches, most these guys tower over me. I’m used to it though, it has never affected my combat ability, I mean why should how big and muscular I am affect my aim with a laser rifle? If anything I’m better because of it, my endurance is almost legendary amongst my platoon. I can run three miles in 10 minutes and 45 seconds. Although that doesn’t break the world record of 9 minutes and 3 seconds, my time is the battalion record.

Suddenly the big guy in front of me stepped forward and I could now see into the med bay, I was next in line. I was anxious now, I’ve been preparing for this for five years now. Ever since the story of the Black Guard hit Third Earth, I knew I wanted to be counted in their ranks. I enlisted in the Space Marines at 17 and I’ve fought tooth and nail for an exemplary record. I’m only 19 now, but I’ve made it to sergeant already with meritorious promotions. My scores on the firing range are excellent, having tied the company record. Strike while the iron is hot as they say, I know I’m not going to be able to keep pulling off miracles. If I don’t make it this selection period I doubt I’ll be able to keep my record of near perfection. Already I hate my reputation as a by the book perfectionist, and for once I’d like just go out and have fun.

A cute brunette nurse peaked around the corner, “Next!” her beautiful soprano voice sang. I stepped forward and followed her into a curtained off partition where sat you’re A-typical doctor on stool. He was probably in his 40’s and had a nice size gut sitting in his lap. There I sat for the next twenty minutes being poked and prodded in every orifice I had at least twice, and having enough blood drawn to fully satisfy a kiss of vampires. Stool sample, Urine sample, Saliva sample, Semen sample, Skin cell sample, Hair sample, blood sample, but the worst of it all was the Spinal Fluid sample. If you’ve never had a spinal tap, thank your lucky stars and try to keep it that way.

After the torture session was over, I was given not just a bill of clean health but of near perfect health. I was also handed my acceptance letter. Finally! After five years of hardship I was finally accepted as a Praetorian! All that was left was the mandatory Full Disclosure, my signature and then my NTD session with my new body.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Praetorian: Black Guard--Prologue

Good start! Love the scifi bit.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great clearly no forced changes here

... and the pretext of the change is a sci-fi one. However, so what is the social circumstances for our protagonist? Does he have family? What is the social mores of this new world in such a far flung future? Why should he care to be a hero? What kind of life does he expect with being a Praetorian barring the glory he seems to be expecting? What expectations of personal love? Is there a way back from the change?

There are a lot of details needed to keep this story fleshed out I think and make us care for the character and the world the character lives in. Currently it is a bit one dimensional on the human part of the equation.

Kim

Yup

Sadarsa's picture

Yeah, it's just the Prologue I felt that the reader needed to know the backdrop of the story. Usually a story is written in a world that is like ours and so not much need be said about it. Fantasy worlds are typically the standard D&Dish settings... but futuristic sci-fi setting i feel first need to be explained a bit before moving into a world that has never before existed..except in my own head.

Maybe i could have approached it differently, as your right it's very one dimentional.. but i DID do it that way intentionally.
~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

cool for a begining

interesting set up. I cant wait for the next chapter

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

World Building.

Isn't easy, is it? But I always thought it was fun, too. Are there other ways to get the resources the people need in your story? Sure. But the world they're going back to is HOME. No amount of space supplied resources would be able to replace that.

So I can understand why they're going to all that trouble to go back.

As you mentioned in a previous comment, this is a prologue, a set up. I'm sure you'll have answers for all the questions as the story progresses. Or will find them as the story unfolds.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more here.

Maggie

Good points

Sadarsa's picture

I did think of space mining, but dismissed it... i mean. Sure you can get ships to go out and mine asteroids or other planets where you cant even breath the atmosphere. But really, Wouldn't that be just a trickle compared to the amount of resources you could gain from a full planet wide mining operation.. no need to worry about spacesuits or the inconvenience of navigating asteroid fields. Corrosion due to chemicals in the atmospheres of planets you cant breath on. In the end wouldn't it just be easier to have guards keep a rich area secure and freely mine it? and as Maggie says, perhaps one day they may be able to take over their home :) ....politics willing of course >.>

also, although it hasn't been brought up yet, their space travel isn't like you'd see on star trek or anything, i thought it more realistic that they fly several times the speed of light. Rather than Warp, where star systems just zip by in a flash. Their pretty much confined to the local systems unless they want to spend a life time trying to move to another. Remember humanity has been nearly destroyed twice already. Much knowledge was lost and rediscovered.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Our own asteroid belt is

Our own asteroid belt is estimated at 4% the mass of the moon. However, it is really easy to get at (once you have space travel). You can't really use most of a planets mass because you're living on it. Why the gravity generators alone require massive amounts of mass. Also, no environmntal issues. The same goes for rings around planet. Then there is the vast amount of resources available in the Oort cloud. Check out Frederick Pohl's gateway series for a mention of a CHON factory which basically mines the Oort cloud for C, H, O and N and makes it into food.

So I would say not only is space mining viable, for these people it is a necessity and a convenience.

Our own asteroid belt is

Our own asteroid belt is estimated at 4% the mass of the moon. However, it is really easy to get at (once you have space travel). You can't really use most of a planets mass because you're living on it. Why the gravity generators alone require massive amounts of mass. Also, no environmntal issues. The same goes for rings around planet. Then there is the vast amount of resources available in the Oort cloud. Check out Frederick Pohl's gateway series for a mention of a CHON factory which basically mines the Oort cloud for C, H, O and N and makes it into food.

So I would say not only is space mining viable, for these people it is a necessity and a convenience.

Humm, I'm probably missing

Sadarsa's picture

Humm, I'm probably missing something, because i don't see how it would be easier to mine loose floating rocks in space. As opposed to having your feet on solid ground breathing fresh air. Having the capability to bring down and set up heavy mining equipment in a semi-permanent facility.

besides, do space rocks have oil? they may have found a different means of energy but some things still require it, like moving metal parts.

their big pinch is Natural resources... metals are just a part of it

the entire human race is living on a planet the size of our moon, don't ya think that's a big crowded? sure there's a few space stations, but it's not enough to support an entire race. Remember technology is somewhat limited, mankind has been nearly wiped out twice.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Rocks in space can be

Rocks in space can be approachd from any angle. There is no gravity but that is a problem as well as a benefit. Still, no mines collapsing and easy to handl heavy equipment once you compepnsate for th forces generated. You don't even have to mine in a traditional sense. Just push the rock into a big processing plant. You may need to cut it into pieces but thats just a simple application of force.

I agree with another comment that organic compounds can be synthesized. However that is simple organics. Now make me some dirt. That's actually quite hard.

There's a trilogy on Mars (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) by Kim Stanley Robinson which I highly recommend. Its big though and not to everybodies taste. This trilogy goes very deep into the terraforming of Mars using near future tech (and expanding into pretty far out there tech, but hey it s scifi).

Nuking

You still did not address the issue of nuking the planet to create a safe zone. That seems like the second most obvious answer rather than using fancy super-soldiers.

Remember, nukes are cheap. Super-soldiers are not.

nukes

Sadarsa's picture

humm and you'd be willing to work in a irradiated environment? i wouldn't

Your only Limitation is your Imagination

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

It's possible.

Once the nukes clear out the area, go ahead and establish a protected zone. It would be easier in the mountains maybe. Remember Hiroshima and Nagasaki are already habitable again and the amount of residual fallout has turned out to be relatively small.

Another alternative such as the one pointed out by Arthur C Clarke in some of his novels is the use of space (or moon) based bombardment using rail guns and the like, accelerating stuff like bits of iron asteroids. You won't need a lot of them either, the amount of energy released can be as much as a nuke. No radioactivity there but you can easily say clear out entire islands (say like New Zealand) as bases and then use them as a way to gradually reclaim the planet.

Kim

Fuel Air Bomb

Another alternative (though a more expensive one) is the prolific use of Fuel Air Bombs. They basically scorch the area of all life.

No radiation, no mess.

Why they choice the inefficient and expensive super-soldier ground army makes no sense.

I agree with kimmie

Nuking the area or like would have been a smart enough action. However, some things need to be cleared.

First of all, Nuclear weapons as a rule have a less significant residual effect than, say, Nuclear power plants - because they don't actually have time enough to produce many fission isotopes, and work on them via irradiation and such. Only the fission fragments themselves and the original fuel are polluting the area, and they aren't very dangerious.

Second of all, I do need to point out that establishing a proper protected zone is going to require significantly more explosive power than was ever unleashed during densely-populated-area tests of Fat Man and Little Boy. And yes I do think of those as such - live target tests, both bombs were of completely different designs you know. Anyway, we're talking about area of several hundred square kilometers (20x20=400, and it's still going to be marginally sufficient) and that is two orders of magnitude more.

Third of all, they did point out they had ZPMs, so it's not like they lack the energy to propel large chunks of rock at sublight speed. Even 5% the speed of light is already high enough for relativistic increase of mass, and they only need what, installing a drive on the asteroid and sending it down to get themselves a clean landing area? Cheap.

As a matter of fact, I fully presume there is a significant deal of power pushing the humanity down, with false excuses and lies. Like the Emperor who doesn't want his power to wane.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Reading too much into it

I think you're just reading too much into it with the power pushing humanity down thing. It's pretty obvious this is suppose to be an allusion to avatar.

I think the author just tried to force work something that shouldn't.

Yeah, but any method like

Yeah, but any method like that would cause such massive damage that you wouldn't get down there for a while. Which is viable if you plan in terms of centuries or even millenia. Its also not very selective. You'd be destroying things you may want to keep. Like the already existing life.

Well, to answer that

First of all, they already had a deadline of 500 years and they passed it 800 years ago. Timescale is good enough for long-term planning. Second of all, it's exactly the existing life they wanted to keep out of location. And third of all, why use some 10-mile-wide asteroids, use smaller ones - easier to target and comparatively negligible overall ecology effects.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

As you say, they ar using

As you say, they ar using their current habitat far beyond it's original design. This implies (to me) there may be a certain hast.
They aren't opposed to all life on the planet, only the part they messed up themselves. Either way though there are ethical concerns about simply obliterating life from a planet.
They pretty much need to kill off all higher life if they want to be succesful. Use a 10km asteroid or 100 smaller ones. The devestation will still be total. You can't have negligible ecology effects if you're attacking the ecology.

Point is they only need to secure

A limited area, so the local animals won't bother them, and the ones living further will, first of all, be seen from afar, and second of all, try and avoid the desolated area anyway. Cleansing the entire planet comes later, but had they started on this plan immediately after the cataclysm they would have had a nice foothold on at least some areas.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Good point. Come to that,

Good point. Come to that, why do they even need nukes? A machine gun should be enough. Limited bombing to establish an LZ is even just a convenience if they can mount or shoot guns from their transports. Isn't the virus still active though? If so we're back to nuking the whole planet (and I wouldn't trust that to completely eliminate such a small organism unless it can only survive in th host)

Fascinating!


Naturally as the scene is being set, the Sci Fi element has to take a front seat while the story line is being built, (Assembled? Composed?)

From the little cameo icon it can perhaps be concluded where the author gets her ideas but what the heck, everybody needs inspiration.

I will be interested to see where this story leads.

Keep on writin' girl. Interesting stuff, (Well it is to me cos I'm a bit of a Sc-Fi buff myself.)

Hugs.

XXX

Beverly

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

I like the idea so far. I

I like the idea so far. I think the setup isn't necessary. It's better style, in a story, to let the details emerge. Whenever you can show it don't say it.

There is one point which I think you should change (though I am usually not in favor of changing something once published). You mention Earth II is 12 times the size (mass?, surface area?) of Earth but has a comparable gravity due to a slower rotational period. Th gravity of a planet is completely independent of how fast it turns. So 12x the size (assuing mass) is 12x the gravity. No matter how fast it is spnning. With the slow rotation you also would get extremes in temprature unless there is something keeping the balance.

Ok enough with the science, the important part is that your idea has potential and I am interested to see where it goes.

inacurate

Sadarsa's picture

LoL yeah there is always going to be some inaccuracies in a sci-fi story. I mean if im shooting for 100% accurate then i'd most likely also have a masters in astro-physics as well :P which i don't, cuz if i did i sure as hell wouldn't be flippin' burgers.

But that's a good point, your right it's Mass that determines gravitational pull and not rotation, i completely missed that and I'll see what i can do to correct it.

Your only Limitation is your Imagination

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Fixed

Sadarsa's picture

Quite easily fixed.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Interesting prologue,

Interesting prologue, looking forwaed to seeing where this goes from here.

Thanks for sharing

Claire :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p