What Mother Didn't Know - Book 2 - Chapter 3 - 4

Printer-friendly version

What Mother Didn't Know - Book 2
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Author's Note: Now, here is the 411 on the mother issue. When I was 2 years old, my birth mother took me to Michigan's upper peninsula (U.P.), every summer until I was 5 years old. She left me there with Caroline her best friend, and Caroline's family. I was living there until I was 10, when my birth mother called from Milwaukee, Wisconsin telling me she wanted me home. If you want to know confusion, I was confused. So, until we get to the 10 year old mark, the woman that Sue is calling mother, is actually the woman I came to know as aunt Caroline.

Chapter 3 - Sue the beginning (cont'd.).

The next morning mom woke me up, and made sure I got my bath. She said she had poured in some lavender bubble bath, and it smelled really nice. I took off my pajamas and got in the tub. I just sat there for a few minutes, then washed. I rinsed off, and got out of the tub. I dried off, and then put the towel around me like I had see girls do on television. I went to get dressed. Mom had laid out a green plaid skirt, light green blouse and my under things. Completely dressed, mother did my hair by placing a wig on my head. She moved it around a little, so that it sat perfect on my head. Then she took something and put it on the band of of the wig. She said it was an adhesive, or glue, that held the wig on, because boys like to pull girls hair.

She made me a small breakfast of half a grapefruit, glass of milk, one pancake, and no butter but only a very light dab of syrup. I sat there taking small bites, and enjoying mom's cooking. When I was finished, I took my dishes and put them in the sink. Then she made sure there was no syrup drip on my clothes, and took me to the front hallway where she had a nice girl's coat, that fit me perfectly. Did she get this from Chrissie or from one of the other girls? I didn't know, but I was happy that it was a warm coat. She walked me to school, and when I went in the building, she left.

I put my coat in the cloak room, and went to sit down, smoothing my skirt behind me as I sat.

"Good morning class."

"Good morning, Mrs. Beecher," everybody said together.

"Today class, we are going to do more writing, and I will read from our little story book. I am going to put some words on the blackboard, and I want you to copy them down as best as you can. Don't worry if you don't do good the first time, because that is why we are here, is to learn."

She printed five words on the blackboard, A D A M, R U N, J U M P, R O P E, S C H O O L. She wanted us to print them as she did, with a space between each letter. As we got out our paper from our back packs, and our pencils, she started reading Little Red Riding Hood. I knew this story, because grandma Dolly read it to me many times. It was one of my favorites. I listened as I printed the words on the blackboard, and when she got to the the part where the big bad wolf jumped out at Little Red Riding Hood, Jimmy raised his hand.

"Yes, Jimmy?"

"Does the wolf eat Little Red Riding Hood?"

"Well, Jimmy, you will just have to wait and find out. This is a very nice story, and I want you to listen while you print your words."

"Yes, ma'am," Jimmy said, kind of sad that Mrs. Beecher wouldn't tell him how it ends.

We kept printing our words, but I decided to write some of them in cursive. When she got to the end of the story, I had my whole paper filled with the words, printing and in cursive. Jimmy raised his hand, again.

"Mrs. Beecher, that's silly. How can you cut open a wolf a rescue something or someone he has eaten?"

"Well, Jimmy, do you believe in magic?"

"Yes, ma'am." I guess we all did at five years old.

"Then, that is what happened. See Little Red Riding Hood and her grandmother were very good souls, so when the woodcutter came along and looked in on the grandmother, he saw the wolf and knew what he had done. So without a moment to lose, he cut open the wolf, and saved Little Red Riding Hood and the grandmother. The wolf was never seen again. This story I just read is by a French author named Charles Perrault, and he first had it published in 1697 in his Contes De ma Mere L'Oye and he named it Le Petit Chaperone Rouge. The Brothers Grimm also did a nice version of this too."

"Thank you, Mrs. Beecher."

"You are very welcome, Jimmy." Just then the bell rang for lunch. "Alright class, line up so we can go to lunch."

We all got to the cafeteria and I saw another girl with Bobbie. I went to sit by them, and we started talking. The other girl said her name was Cindy, and she wanted to be my friend. I said that would be alright, because I like making friends. So, for the rest of the lunch hour, during recess, we talked, and talked, and we found out things about each other. I found out that Cindy's father had just graduated from law school, and was a lawyer. I knew about lawyers because I liked watching Perry Mason.

When the bell rang for us to go back to class, Bobbie, Cindy and I stood in line together. When we got in the classroom, I saw that Cindy was sitting a few tables away from me. I raised my hand.

"Yes, Miss Kelly?"

"Is it alright if Cindy Marks sits by me and Bobbie?"

"Bobbie and I, and yes, I don't see that that's a problem. Cynthia, you may move over by Bobbie and Ronnie. That is a nice dress, by the way, Ronnie."

"Thank you, ma'am."

"Ronnie, tell me something. Are you a boy or a girl?"

"I'm not sure. I guess, by what my mommy and grandma say, I am a boy. But everybody else tells me I am a cute girl."

"I see. Well, you make a lovely girl, and you are pretty in that dress."

"Thank you, ma'am."

No one laughed or said anything else. Mrs. Beecher went on to tell us how important it was that we remember our addresses and phone numbers, just in case we needed to tell someone if we got lost or in an accident. She told us to ask our parents to teach us our addresses and phone numbers. Then she asked me to go to the blackboard and write what is one plus one, and so forth until I got to five plus five. I did that, and she stood there watching me. When I was finished, she said I could go back to my seat.

"Class, does everybody see what Ronnie put on the black board? I want you all to copy this down, and do it ten times, and tomorrow we will go over it again." Jimmy raised his hand. "Yes, Jimmy?"

"How many times is ten?"

"How many fingers do you have?" He counted them and got stuck between six an eight.

"Jimmy, watch Ronnie. Ronnie, please stand and show the class how many fingers we all have on both hands, and count out loud, please." So I did, and I went slow like grandma Dolly had shown me. "So you see, Jimmy, that we have ten fingers, five on each hand. So, I want you to copy what is on the blackboard ten times, and I want you to study what is there too, even if you have to count on your fingers. Does everybody understand me?"

We all said yes ma'am, together. Then Mrs. Beecher left us to do our work, and walked around the classroom, making sure we were doing our work and not talking. When she got to our table, she remarked again how impressed she was with what I knew. She even said she wanted to talk to me after school, for a few minutes. After she left to go to her desk, I whispered to Cindy and Bobbie that I wanted them to wait with me. They said they would. The bell finally rang for the end of the day. Everybody put all their papers and story book in their back packs, and lined to leave. Bobbie, Cindy and I waited behind.

"Cindy and Bobbie you may leave."

"We're waiting for Sue."

"Sue?"

"Yes, ma'am. Everybody calls her," she said, pointing to me, "Sue."

"I see." Then we heard someone clearing their throat. It was mom.

"Are you coming, Sue?"

"Mrs. Beecher wants to talk to me."

"Oh, what about, Mrs. Beecher?"

"Are you aware that Ron, erm Sue, is a very pretty young lady? Yesterday when she was in my class, I could have sworn she was a boy."

"Yesterday is worlds away from now, Mrs. Beecher. Things happened overnight that seemed as magical then as they do now. Yes, I am aware that Sue is a pretty young lady, and she even acts like one too. This weekend Sue is going over to Bobbie's for a sleepover."

"Well, she must be a girl then, because no parent would allow a boy at a girl's sleepover."

"I quite agree, Mrs. Beecher. Will that be all?"

"Yes, that is all. Thank you."

As we got out of the school building, I asked mommy if Bobbie and Cindy could come over. Mommy said it would be alright but that they had to call their parents and tell them where they were and why. Bobbie's real name was Roberta Granger, and she knew her phone number. So did Cindy. They called their parents, and then it wasn't long before they were all at our house. We all sat down and had a nice talk. Mr. Marks, Cindy's father, said that he liked me the moment he had seen me. He said there was something different about me, and now he knew.

Chapter 4 - Dinner.

"Would you all like to stay for dinner?"

"Why, yes, Caroline, that would be wonderful. Saves us from cooking and me from washing the dishes," Mr. Marks had said in a joking manner.

"Good. Now Sue, you be a very gracious hostess, and treat our guests well." We all giggled, except Mr. Marks, he had a soft laugh, not like most men.

"When Cindy called me and said she had met a new friend at school, and that she was by her house, I was ready to tell her it isn't good to go to strange people's houses. But when we got here, I saw that Caroline is your mother, Sue, then I knew I had nothing to worry about. Everybody in town knows Caroline, because she helps deliver medicine to those that can't get out. Mr. Banks at the drug store said your mother is his right hand 'man'."

"But, mother isn't a man."

"No sweetie, that is just an expression, older than time itself."

"How old is time?"

"Well, Sue, I...I don't...really...know. Nobody does, I guess."

"Gown ups have silly sayings."

All the grown ups just laughed, and then I got a hug from Bobbie's mom. "You are a dear, sweet child. Never lose that innocence, girl, because it is the only thing that keeps us sane."

"Here, here," Mr. Marks had said, in a very happy tone.

"Does anybody want coffee, tea, milk, cocoa, pop?"

"What kind of pop do you have, young lady?"

"We have the best the stores can sell. Dr. Pepper."

"Well, young lady, Dr. Pepper it is then."

(Author's note: For more information about when Dr. Pepper was first served in the United States, please go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Pepper. This explains a lot about the person who created it.)

I went to get the pop, and came back with seven bottles of Dr. Pepper and seven glasses, just in case they wanted theirs in a glass. I was being the 'gracious hostess' as mom had said to be. I sat down, and was ready to pour mine, but Mr. Marks got up and did that for me.

"There you go, Sue."

"Thank you, sir."

"Oh, you can call me Mister, or you can call me Marks, or you can call me MM, but you dasn't has to call me sir." We all laughed because Mr. Marks was being so funny.

"That's funny, Mr. Marks."

"Thank you, young lady, I will be here all week. That's a saying in show business. But you know, I think you make a very pretty young lady also."

"Cindy says that you're a lawyer like Perry Mason."

'Well I'm nothing like Perry Mason, or even Clarence Darrow whom Perry Mason is based on. But who knows, I am just starting out, really, so we will see what the years ahead bring."

"Do you help all kinds of people in court?"

"Yes, Susie, I do. I represent people who are not so good, but deserve a lawyer anyway. I represent people who are hurt by others in many ways. I also help big companies known as corporations to settle their arguments. So, see, I represent and help a lot of different people. I hope, young lady, that you may never need my services, unless of course it is to read your will when you die. But, that is a long, long way away yet."

"Mr. Marks, can I come over and play with Cindy, sometimes?"

"Yes, young lady, you certainly may."

"Mr. Marks, do you have a first name?"

"Yes, when I was born my parents thought they were being funny, and actually gave me the name of Mister. Mister is my first name."

I giggled. "That's funny, Mr. Marks."

"I agree, Susie."

"Mom, may we go to my room, please?"

"Yes, dear, you girls go and have fun."

We went to my room, and we closed the door. Our music was like poison to our parents ears. They might evaporate if they keep hearing it. We danced to the music, then we decided to paint each other's nails. Bobbie painted mine a nice light pink, I painted Cindy's the same color, and Bobbie said we could be triplets, so Cindy and I did Bobbie"s nails. When they were dry we decided we were going to show our nails to our parents. So, we went out in the living room, and we all just gathered around.

"Mom, Bobbie, Cindy and I decided to paint our nails all the same color, and now we're triplets."

"Oh! Heaven forbid." The adults laughed and we wondered what was so funny.

We got hugs from the adults and they said that was a cute idea but it is a good thing we all lived in different houses. I had to think about that for a while, so we went back to my room and listened to more music. We decided that we were bored just being in the house, and the back yard was full of snow. So we asked if we could go to the playground. The playground was just down the street and around the corner a little. We go our coats, and started out the door, when we were called back.

"And just where do you think you are going, without your snowsuits on?"

"I didn't bring mine and Cindy didn't either."

"Mom, can't we just go in our coats? Pleeeeeeeaaaaaassssssse!"

"Absolutely not. It is below zero outside and you could catch your deaths. Now, I am sure that you can loan your friends a snowsuit for now."

"Yes, mother. Then can we go to the playground?"

"Yes, you may, but just remember there aren't any swings, and the merry-go-round has been taken in for the winter. The only thing there are the monkey bars, and those are mainly for the boys, because boys are monkeys anyway."

"Hey! I represent that remark." We all giggled at Mr. Marks. Daddy was very silent tonight, and I was wondering if he was alright. I will have to ask mom about it tonight.

Bobbie, Cindy and I went to the playground, and we had a snowball fight, and made a snowman which three boys came and knocked down. So we built it again, and this time they came over calling me names.

"Hey look, little Ronnie is playing with the girls. Isn't that cute?"

Donny Estabrook was in the sixth grade, and thought he was the toughest kid in school. He had been suspended several times for fighting during school. I looked over at Donny and told him off.

"Listen Donald," He doesn't like to be called Donald. "I will play with whomever I wish. You are on the school playground, and..." I was interrupted by Mr. Marks.

"Cindy, we have to get inside now. Sue, your mother says to come home."

"You're are so lucky, Donald."

So, we left the boys standing there, and I could see the angry looks on Donny's face. Tomorrow he will have a little explaining to do. When we got home, mom said dinner would be ready shortly, so we had better get out of our snowsuits and wash up. It took us all afternoon to play at the playground, and Donny and his friends didn't spoil it...this time.

After we washed up and got to the dining room, Daddy was about to say grace, when he looked at me with a sad look. Then he said grace.

"Dear Lord, thank you for the bounty you have put before us, and please help me to deal with accepting Susan as she is." I didn't know what he meant by that, but he was asking for help.

Daddy didn't say much at dinner, but he kept looking at me, and then he would shake his head and say something we couldn't hear. I was thinking that maybe daddy was having trouble understanding me, and in my five year old mind, meant that I thought he didn't love me. I will have to ask mom.

When dinner was over, we were told to go to my room and do what we wanted until it was time for Bobbie and Cindy to go. But we just sat in the kitchen while mom did the dishes.

"Mom, what's wrong with daddy?"

"What do you mean, Sue?"

"Well, he looks at me, and then he shakes his head, and when he said grace he said he needed help to accept me for who I am. Does he love me, or doesn't he?"

"Honey, it isn't that simple. Daddy's a man, and men have a hard time understanding why a boy would want to be a girl. It is just his way. I'm sure he loves you very much."

"Then how come he doesn't talk to me, like he used to?"

"Because men are, how shall I say this? Men are, well, men. They think that cussing, swearing, fighting, full contact sports like football or soccer is the manly thing to do. But, they also like baseball, basketball, motor car racing. So, when they see someone who has a male body who is all of a sudden living and acting as a girl, well, they really don't know how to handle that."

"So, daddy thinks I should like the same things he does?"

"Yes."

"He would look very silly in a dress." We all giggled.

"Yes, dear, he certainly would. Now go and play and everything will be alright." She gave me a hug and we went to my room.

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oy teacher!

'by me and Bobbie' NOT 'by Bobbie and I'
LEARN YOUR CASES!

Still trying to guess where this one is heading.....

Interesting start, and I am

Interesting start, and I am wondering if the teacher wasn't actually trying to find out what was going on with Sue regarding her new gender appearance, when the mother stepped in. I do have a feeling that things might get complicated by Donald when the kids are all back in school, as apparently he is the, or at least one of the local bullies.