The Twilight Zone - Weird Dreams

Printer-friendly version

This is the story of one George Watts who at six feet, two inches tall, two hundred and forty-five pounds of solid muscle, will find an adventure he has never thought about taking. His close cropped haircut spoke of his US Marine service. He woke up on the wrong side of the bed, maybe; or his shoes were too tight because he didn't cut his toenails; or his wife had refused sexual favors. Whatever the reason, George Watts was not himself today. But today of all days, George Watts will get up not on the wrong side of the bed, but in a place that exists only in the imagination. George Watts will wake up in

THE TWILIGHT ZONE
Weird Dreams

Today Georgia Watts, married, three children, and a decent husband, woke up and automatically threw her robe on, and went down to the kitchen. They all lived together in this little house that was two stories high, but built on a back lot away from the road. That was so the children could have a large front yard to play in. Georgia's husband, Rick, five foot, ten inches, seemed to tower over Georgia who was only five foot, four inches. Rick was a builder, a contractor, and an architect. He knew every inch of the building trade.

Unknown to Georgia, who kept thinking she may have been someone else in another life, there were forces at work here that would not be going away any time soon. She was weirded out by the fact that there was something in her subconscious that she couldn't quite figure out; like for instance, where the hell was she, and who was she?

I know these children by name, and their birthdates, their school, and other little things a mother knows about her children. But, I only have two children, Thom and Rae. Why are these children calling me mom, and what am I supposed to do, get them breakfast? With that Georgia Watts started making pancakes, sausages, toast, and for her husband she made eggs, because he didn't like pancakes.

As they sat there eating, all except for Georgia, they were talking about their day at school today being a special day. Bobby asked if she could please come to the school to see his play that his class was putting on about the American Revolution. Carla wanted her to come and see her cook in her middle school home ec class, and Jeri wanted her to come and see her debate class discuss issues facing the world today.

Georgia Watts just sat there, thinking that this was way too much. All she wanted was to have a peaceful day. With her husband and children out of the house for at least eight hours, she could get some rest. But it seemed like this breakfast time was dragging and the voices were droning.

"Mother!" Jeri snapped. "Aren't you listening?"

"Oh, uhm, yes sweetie, I am. I was just thinking about what you all want me to do today, and there is only one problem. I can't split myself into three people, and I can't be everywhere at the same time. I have to get the house cleaned for this weekend, so our guests can at least come to a clean house. Then I have to make the things we are going to have for the party. So my day is pretty much filled right here at home."

"Well, at least we tried."

"Yes, Jeri, you tried, but you should have come to me sooner. This is a lot to take all at once at the last minute."

"But mom! We did tell you all of this. Last week, and everyday this week. Mom, are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, Bobby, I'm fine."

"Then why didn't you remember?"

"Honey, it must be this party coming up this weekend. I'm sorry, everyone, but I am just a little preoccupied."

"Okay, mom, if you say so."

After breakfast, everybody was going here and there getting what they needed for their day, and after giving Georgia hugs and cheek kisses, they all left. Now she was all alone in the house, and she had her work cut out for her. But first things first.

Georgia Watts went to the front hall mirror and just stared at her reflection. She tried to see the person who used to be there, but saw no traces of whomever it was she thought she had been. With a heavy sigh, she thought to herself that she might as well get busy with the house first, and take care of the baking later. There was still time.

She busied herself in her and her husband's bedroom first, getting everything straightened up and making the bed. Then she got all of Rick's dirty clothes that he just threw here and there, and got them down to the basement to wash. After she had started the wash cycle, she went upstairs to her children's rooms, and everytime she looked in these rooms, she always smiled. They were neat, clothes not put away were folded, or at least neatly draped over a chair or a stool. The beds were always made, and you didn't have to worry about breaking your neck everytime you walked in one of these rooms.

She got out the little canister vacuum cleaner, and began to vacuum the carpets. She started upstairs, and then took the canister and started down the stairs. As she got to the bottom stair, she turned off the little canister vacuum cleaner, and sat down. What exactly was it she was doing? She wasn't anyone's maid, or housewife, or mother, she ... he was a man. His name was...was, uhm...used to be, maybe still is...yes, that's it, this is all a dream, a very weird, but interesting dream. But as she sat there, thinking about this, the phone rang. It was Rick.

"How are things going, sweetie? You weren't you're usual, bubbly self this morning, so I thought I would call and see how things are."

"They're fine, dear. I have the upstairs done, your clothes in the wash, and I just vacummed the upstairs hallway and the stairs. I was just taking a break."

"That's good to hear. Well, alright, I am glad things are working out just fine. I will be a little late tonight because Ed and John are taking me over to see this new land area in the Wisconsin. They think it may be worth investing in."

"Well, alright dear, you have fun and don't let that Ed Robinson talk you into any bars tonight. I have something right here at home you can get drunk on, without even trying."

"Uhm, yeah, okay, look sweetie I have to go, I have a meeting then I have to meet Ed and John."

"Alright, dear, you have fun, and call me when you are on your way home."

She hung up and thought to herself that no man can resist temptation like that. We will see just what condition he is in when he gets back. She finished vacuuming the downstairs, and went to put Rick's clothes in the dryer. Then she went to straighten up the kitchen. She always saved the kitchen for last, because it was her God given haven to rest and think, and just take the stress out from the day.

But this nagging feeling that she was, maybe, had been, possibly, still is, could be...a man named George, kept coming back to her as she sat in the kitchen, resting from her morning's work. She couldn't figure it out. Why was she thinking these thoughts? Where were they coming from? Who was behind them? What was behind them?

She got up and went down in the basement and took Rick's clothes out of the dryer and put them away. After that, she started getting out the things for making whatever it was they were going to have at the party. Their annual first cookout party of the summer, and the whole neighborhood was invited. This also gave the men a little bonding time, and the women time to conspire against their men more. This party started on Friday night, and lasted through til Sunday night. Forty eight hours of constant revelry.

As Georgia got up to get her cake pans and pie tins out, she was again struck by this feeling. Was it more than just a feeling though. She sat down, like she was dizzy, her pans on the table. She held her head in her hands.

"What is it that I am supposed to remember? Something about this weekend, I'm sure about that, but what exactly?"

As he got up to make the confections for the weekend, which started tonight, she felt woozy, like she was being tossed on wave after wave like on a ship at sea. She heard a voice, not clearly, but it kept getting nearer. It was a voice she should know. Then she was awake.

"George? C'mon dear, it's time to get up and face the day. Don't forget that tonight Rick and Georgia Robinson are having their annual first cookout of the summer starting tonight. I have to be at Thom and Rae's school today. Rae is having a discussion in her debate class about the current events going on in the world today, and Thom's class is having a play after school about the American Revolution. Their boy Bobby is going to be in the play too."

There are forces at work in the mind that we have no understanding of. When they start to take over, just hang on because these same forces will take you for a wild ride inside of

THE TWILIGHT ZONE

up
55 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Twilight Zone - Weird Dreams

Wonder WHY he dreamed the dream?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That is why it is called

Weird dreams. LOL Who knows why people dream what they do. Many people have weird dreams and have no idea why, but they do. Thank you Stan for reading and commenting. Your query didn't go unnoticed.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

very good

loved the twilight zone, yours and the tv series. you could write for them anytime. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG