My Sister's Daughter

Printer-friendly version

Synopsis:

Okay, so what exactly happens, when you finally go to a party?

My Sister's Daughter

by Barbara Lynn Terry

Story:

Prologue

My name was Robert Morris, gender, male, age 43 years old, and I was an accountant. I was five feet, five inches tall, was slightly balding and was one hundred and ten pounds over weight. Why do I keep saying was? Well, I am none of the above anymore. Maybe I should start at the beginning, so you know exactly what I am talking about.

Part I - The Invitation

I guess you could say that I didn't have a life. That would be putting it mildly. I went to work, and kept the books for a large industrial company that made sheet metal products. Maybe you own a few cookie sheets made by us.

My work consisted of making sure that the other accountants in the office had their adding and subtracting correct. Eight hours a day five days a week and sometimes I would take the books home just to have them done the next day or by Monday if it was on a weekend. That about sums up my life.

I would visit my sister every other weekend just to keep in touch and make sure everything was fine with her. We would have holiday dinners at her house and we would talk about nothing in particular. One day however, I went to visit Sandy and we had a nice dinner, and we talked over a drink about an upcoming party she was invited to. She asked me if I wanted to go, since she didn't have a boyfriend at the present time. I told her that I didn't go to parties, as I wasn't much of a party animal.

"Robby dear, you don't have to be. Just come with me and meet some people and have a good time. There will even be some there that are in the same line of work as you are."

"Accountants," I said with a surprised look on my face.

"Yes Robby, accountants and there will even be tax consultants there as well. Not from the IRS, but from the tax and accounting office down the block from where you work."

"I don't know, Sandy. I've never went out to parties before, being just content to stay by myself."

Sandy was just two inches taller than me at five feet, seven inches. She weighed a modest 130 pounds and had sun golden blonde hair that went to the middle of her back. At forty years old, she could still knock the men's eyes out of their sockets. She wore the latest in fashions and worked as cosmetologist over at the beauty parlor two blocks from her house.

"Oh come on, Robby!" She exclaimed, more pleading than anything else. "It will be fun. You have to get out once in a while, and now's your chance. This isn't a wild, swinging party, just a get together with some very nice people. We'll have a few drinks, chat a while and then leave. Okay?"

"Well, Okay. I suppose it won't hurt to try it once."

"Thanks Robby. You won't regret this and you will have fun."

"When is the party and where is it, again?" I questioned.

"It's a week from this Saturday, at seven in the evening and it's over at Judy's."

"Okay."

"Great."

Part II - The Party

Since I was over at Sandy's on Friday, I had an entire week to get ready for this 'party'. She said it was just a get together, but I had my reservations about that. The kinds of parties that Sandy went to were loud and everyone shouting, trying to be heard above the ultra loud music. So, I put all my energies into my work trying not to think about the 'party'. When I went home at night, I turned on the National Geographic channel and watched that. Then, as we all know, time flies when you're having fun. Or not. Saturday morning dawned, and I woke up, shaved, showered, dried off and went to get dressed. As I finished getting dressed in my blue suit and black tie, the doorbell rang. I went to the door and opened it and saw Sandy.

"Uhm, Robby dear, the party isn't for another ten hours. Why are so dressed up?"

"It's just one of my everyday suits, Sandy. I have another one I'm wearing to the party. What brings you over?"

"Nothing in particular. I just wanted to spend some time with my brother. You're always coming by my place, I thought for a change, I'd come over and visit you. I brought my clothes and I can shower and change here. If that's all right with you?"

"Uh, sure. That's fine with me."

We spent the whole day just hanging with each other and talking about the 'party' and we had a small lunch consisting of a mixed salad, milk and a bowl of grapes, which we didn't finish, so I put them back in the refrigerator. We watched a DVD on the player, and when that was over, Sandy got up and said it was time for her to get ready but she would only be in the shower fifteen minutes. It was a half an hour. When she was done in the shower, I went in took a fast shower and went to get dressed for the party. I had a burgundy suit that I had never worn, but was purchased for the time when I would go out and paint the town red. Yeah right! ME? Well, tonight was my chance to wear it, for the first time since trying it on. I wore my black silk tie and my black shoes I wore for work, with a little extra shine on them. I combed my hair, put on some Maverick cologne and I was ready. As I was coming out of my bedroom, Sandy was coming out of the guest room. Well I had a two bedroom flat and the other room was used for guests.

"Wow, stud. I didn't think you could look like that. If I wasn't your sister, I'd ask you for a date."

"You actually think I look that good, Sandy?" I questioned.

"No stud, I don't think you look that good. I KNOW you look that good."

Since I didn't wear glasses like some accountants I know, I looked in the mirror and liked what I saw. I wouldn't win Mr. America or Mr. Universe. But I looked very respectable. I then got my coat out of the closet, and we headed for the car. We took Sandy's car.

The drive to Judy's took an hour, as she lived way out in the boonies. The rustic scenery I viewed along the way was very nice and peaceful. We stopped for a family of deer that was crossing the road. The fawn, however, couldn't seem to get passed the headlights and froze in her tracks. I got out of the car and took my coat and suit coat off and pushed gently from behind and the lifted her across the fence that she couldn't jump either. I could have sworn that the stag nodded as I lifted his baby fawn out of danger to join her family. I could have sworn.

My shirt and tie now smelled of deer, and I couldn't go to the 'party' smelling like this.

"Robby, I have a sweater in my bag. It's a turtleneck pullover and the same color as your suit. No one will notice if you don't take off your suit coat."

"Well, let me see it."

She went into the trunk and pulled it out. It was a burgundy, rib knit, turtleneck, pull over sweater. I looked at it and then said it would have to do. She then handed me a camisole and said I would have to wear it under the sweater, as my tee shirt would not do.

"Sandy, that's a woman's undergarment. Why won't my tee shirt do?"

"Because, silly. Your tee shirt will make it look real bulky and will stretch the sweater more than it will be with you just wearing it."

I thought that excuse was kind of lame, but then again, what did I know about women's clothing. Nothing. So, I accepted the cami and put that on then I put on the sweater. I left my suit coat off and would put it on as we got to Judy's. We pulled up in front of Judy's farmhouse, and drove straight back to the barn that once housed livestock, now remodeled for parties. Judy had some of the swingingest parties around. As we walked into the barn, a woman in her late thirties came up to us. Her hair was golden blonde, shapely legs, and a turquoise skirt that came to just above her knees, and a burgundy, rib knit, turtleneck sweater. She also had a silk scarf around her neck loosely tied to the left. This is Judy, my sister's friend in crime.

"Sandy luv, good of you to come. And, OH MY GOSH! Robby! I don't believe it! This calls for a celebration."

PART III - The Party

Judy took us straight to the bar area and got us each a drink.

"Robby, what would you like?"

"Just a soda, Judy. Please."

"Still polite, I see. I like men that are polite. Shows character and breeding."

"Sandy, order what you like. I'm going to mingle with my guests."

Sand and I got our drinks. Sandy likes whiskey and coke and I had my Sprite. We then looked around the barn and Sandy said to me.

"Robby, I'm going to go and mingle too, I want you to have some fun while we're here. Don't just stand around like a statue. There are a lot of people here that are in accounting. There is a person here from that accounting firm I told you about. See you later, stud."

Sandy went off to mingle with people she knew and I stood there looking around. I saw a nice looking woman of about thirty five, wearing a nice sky blue skirt suit, with a light red blouse. She had brown hair with radiant highlights when the light shined on it. Her makeup was immaculate and she wore a maroon colored lipstick and the same color on her fingernails. I went over to talk to her.

"Hi, excuse me, miss, but I couldn't help but notice that you and I are the only ones just standing around. My name is Robby."

"Hi, my name is Becky. I just came to see if I could meet any interesting men." We both laughed at that.

"Well, I don't know how interesring you would find an accountant, but that is what I do. I work for a sheet metal company."

"Interesting. You don't look like an accountant. When you think of an accountant, you think of guys wearing thick glasses and looking like they should be professors in college."

"True. But, I went into accounting because I like working with numbers."

"Hmmm, an accountant that doesn't look like a nerd and doesn't act like either. Very interesting. I have an idea. Why don't we go out to the patio, after getting something from the buffet and we can talk. Okay?"

"Sure, I suppose that would be okay."

We went over to the buffet and got a little something to eat while we went outside and talked. Becky was all full of questions, but one in particular, I answered without hesitation.

"Do you dance, Robby?"

"Uh, no. Never learned how."

"Well there is nothing to it, actually. For a slow dance, all you do is take your partner two steps forward and one back, or sideways, or turn around. It's simple."

"Uhm, sure, it's simple. For people who have done it more than once. I have never danced."

"All right. I'll tell you what. we'll go back inside and I will dance with you a couple of dances and see just how you do. Okay?"

"Sure. Why not."

I mean, I'm the adventurous type. I'll dance with her and she will see just what a clutz I really am. So, we went back in and the music was the type that you dance to when you hold your sweetheart close to you. We went out to the dance floor, and we danced. As we danced she put her arms closer around me. She showed me the basic steps, and I did pretty good. We really got into the music with our dancing, and just as the music ended, I felt a small sting in my butt. I turned around to see another woman behind me. She had to have been middle fifties, with grey hair in a bun, and a nice floor length, burgundy gown. When I said ouch and turned to look at her, she smiled and aplogized because her purse was swinging from the shoulder strap.

"That's all right, ma'am. I was more surprised than anything else."

"Why that's very nice of you, young man. I'm Amanda Blake, no relation to the actress from Gunsmoke."

"I'm Robert Morris, ma'am, er, Mrs. Blake. My friends all call me Robby."

"Well, it's nice to meet you Robby. Wait a minute, Morris? Did you say Morris?"

"Yes Mrs. Blake. Robert Morris."

"Are you Sandy Morris' brother?"

"Yes I am, Mrs. Blake."

"So, I finally get to meet the young man she has been talking about that never goes to parties. Until today."

"I guess I'm guilty, Mrs. Blake. I told Sandy that I didn't think I would like it here. But I have met Becky here and now I have met you. OH! Where are my manners. Becky, this is Mrs. Blake."

"Hi Becky, nice to meet you too."

"Same here, Mrs. Blake."

They had just started another number and Becky and I danced to this one too. When we got to the middle of the dance floor, I felt another jab in my butt. I looked around and there was Mrs. Blake with an apology.

"I'm so sorry Robby, but I don't leave my purse sitting around."

"That's okay, Mrs. Blake. I understand." I really didn't but I didn't want to seem rude.

When the number was over, and we were walking back to the bar area, Mrs. Blake turned sudeenly and her purse hit me in the left upper chest. She turned around again and it hit me in the right upper chest. If I didn't know better, I would say she did it on purpose. Then she smiled at me and told me she was sorry, that she would leave her purse in the car on the next dance. We then walked back to the bar and got some refreshments and went to sit down by some table that had been put up for weary dancers.

As I was taking my second sip from my Sprite, I started to feel dizzy. It was as if the room was spinning around. Then I felt sick to my stomach and asked Becky where the restrooms were. She helped me up and that is when Sandy saw us and came over.

"Robby, what's wrong?"

"I-I don't kn-know. I-I feel sick."

"Becky, let's get him to the ladies room so we can watch him. He looks real pale."

"L-la-ladies roo-room? No I can't. Ju-just get, get m-me to, to th-the me-men's roo-room."

I must have blacked out, because I do not remember anything that happened after I heard Sandy say they were taking me to the ladies room. The next thing I know, I am in bed, in Sandy's house.

PART IV - The Change

"Mandy? Mandy, wake up. Are you all right, sweetie?" I heard Sandy's voice. Sweetie? Mandy? Her tone was different from what I knew. She was talking to me like I was a little child.

"Huh?" Was all I could manage.

"I asked you if you were all right."

"Yes, I think so. I don't hurt anywhere. WHAT! What has happened to my voice? I sound like a little girl. And, who is Mandy?"

"Sweetie, you ARE a little girl. Don't you remember, sweetie? You're my daughter Amanda."

"Oh! Okay. This is a joke. Right?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about. Here, look in this mirror, if you don't believe me."

I got out of bed and put my feet automatically into a pair of pink bunny slippers that were by the bed. I walked over and looked in the mirror. The reflection that looked back at me was a young girl, about five years old, blonde hair to the middle of her back, in a pink cotton nightgown with a picture of Peter Rabbit on the front and pink bunny slippers. If my mouth could have, it would have hit the floor. I gaped at the reflection in disbelief. How was this possible?

"Sweetie, don't you remember? You were at Janie's birthday party and the pinata fell and hit you. Don't you remember, sweetie?"

"No."

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. Well, let's get you dressed and we will go and see the doctor and find out what's wrong. Okay?"

"You want me to see the doctor? Dressed like a girl? Oh no, I just couldn't. People will laugh at me."

"Now, why would people laugh at a young girl, dresed like a young girl? Oh! Sweetie! I am so sorry. Maybe that pinata gave you amnesia."

"Look, Sandy. I don't have amnesia and I am not a little girl."

"Then how do you explain that reflection in the mirror. Mirrors don't lie."

"This isn't a trick? You're not playing a joke on me?"

"Now, why would I do a thing like that?"

I still didn't understand. Could this all have been a dream? I looked at the reflection in the mirror, again. After resigning myself to the fact that I was a five year old girl, I walked back to the bed and let Sandy dress me, as I had no idea where to start. So, I guess that since I am a little girl and Sandy's says she is my mother, that's how I became . . .

MY SISTER'S DAUGHTER

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.


 

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Give Barbara a break

This story had a strange twist to it.
You have to read part two at the Classic BigCloset to get a better understanding of the story. I do admit that at the party, there were some very strange goings on. I think that in part 2, the reasoning of why this was done to Robbie (who overheard talking between Sandy and Amanda without realizing that Robbie/Mandy was there), was sad. Why couldn't Sandy ask Robbie to volunteer to do this or she could adopt a child, is beyond me. I am not going to say what the reasoning is. You have to read it yourself.
Don't get me wrong. I think Barbara is one of the best writers at this site, and I hope she keeps up the great work. I always look forward to her stories and will do so, for hopefully a long time.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Marc

My Sister's Daughter II

My Sister's Daughter II is scheduled for posting as the sequel. Have patience and somethings will be explained.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

You Know What

When I read this story, I wondered about the motivation for a bit, then I said, "You know what, Jill . . . you've never been able to find out why a lot of things in RL happened, why should we have to know in fiction?"

I'm forever offering writers help in bringing their stories into line with more conventional writing rules. Erin is more toward the "there are no rules for writing" guideline. Both of us are right.

If Babs wants to write a story that doesn't address the motivation for everything that's happened, that is her business.

The story has its moments and is worth reading.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

my sister's daughter

I feel a little sad for Robby and I am confused suddenly he is a 5 year old little girl and his sister's daughter ? how ? why ? is it permanent ? there are lots of possibilites for the story but I hope when you ( please do more of the story ) that some of the gaps are filled in I would like to know thank you very much keep up the good work
love
Christi