Joan's Room The Final Chaper

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

This is the final chapter in the story of "Joan's Room." Their magical day finally arrives. Will Joan find the strength within herself to make it all come together? Will outside forces intervene and prevent this marriage of necessity?

Story:

Chapter 25

I Will

Sam was far more in tune with everything than I’d ever realized. For awhile I worried that he was just another confused kid. It was pure serendipity that we found each other all those years ago, albeit in a playpen with him wrestling me to the ground as often as not. I grew to love all the more the person that he was becoming. His strength of purpose, his sense of being, everything about him were things to admire.

Sunday morning arrived and I found myself getting ready for work. I had two paint jobs to complete before the day was done. The Willitz were at the top of my list. I figured I’d stop home between jobs and grab a bite to eat. I found myself ringing their doorbell promptly at nine-thirty. Mr. Willitz answered the bell.

"Good morning Sir, my name is Joan, I’m here to do some painting," I said with determination. He eyed me chauvinistically and was about to close the door in my face when Mrs. Willitz appeared. "You must be Joan! Please come in. Mr. Hospin has had so many kind things to say about you. I ignored the poison darts emanating from Mr. Willitz’ eyes and followed Mrs. Willitz inside.

Once again I was faced with a job that far exceeded the sixty dollar range. These people were going to pay. "Mrs. Willitz, I’ll be more than happy to do this job for you, but I’m afraid it’s going to cost $120 for my time," I said solemnly.

"Whatever it costs, it costs dear," she said and threw daggers with her own eyes in Mr. Willitz’ direction.

Four-and-a-half hours later, I’d completed my task. I always felt good when I finished a job. Mr. Willitz paid me with grudging admiration. I handed them a few business cards and asked them to recommend me to their friends. With a smile on my face I rode home for a quick bite to eat.

The Seaton job was a much more straightforward one. In and out in two hours time; no muss, no fuss. I handed out a few more business cards and left with a big smile on my face. It had been a profitable day.

Sunday evening. Mom was preparing dinner. Instead of accepting it as part of our old routine, I began to wonder if Aunt Melissa was all right. "Mom, where’s Aunt Melissa?" I asked.

"She went to spend the day with her own daughter. She can’t spend all of her time with us, can she? By the way, Dan and Melissa are coming to your wedding. Melissa seemed especially thrilled by the news." I found myself subconsciously rubbing my own tummy and smiling. I was certain that this would be one case of "sympathetic pregnancy" for the books. I wondered if Aunt Vivian was already working on the idea?

"Mom, if things had to happen as they have, I couldn’t have planned it any better if I’d tried. You’ve all been so wonderful to me and Sam," I said with tears in my eyes. She came over and held me in a warm embrace.

"It’s going to be all right sweetheart. It’ll be good to have the pitter-patter of tiny feet in the house again. You did know that I always wanted more children, didn’t you?" She asked sincerely.

"So, what’s for dinner?" I asked, changing the subject.

"I thought we’d have hamburgers," she said as I burst out laughing.

"Our gourmet cook has run off for the day and you’re making burgers, it figures," I said jokingly.

"You’re always welcome to make us something else if you like? In fact, those burgers would taste a lot better if you made them on the grill and invited Sam and your mother-in-law over to join us." It was her turn to laugh.

I agreed that it was a good idea and placed the call to Sam. He and Aunt Alice would be over shortly. One day Sam would totally surprise me and turn down an offer of food, I thought and laughed again.

"So, have you figured out how you’re going to support your family?" she asked facetiously.

"Well, I plan on saving two hundred a week until the twins are born," I said matter of factly.

"It’s nice to have plans," she said in a placating tone.

Mom had absolutely no idea how much money I was making. For some strange reason I still can’t define, I felt it was best to keep it that way. In fact, I regretted my bit of braggadocio. I vowed it wouldn’t happen again.

Aunt Alice must be saving a ton of money on food these days. I couldn’t remember the last time we’d been invited over there for dinner. When it came to domesticity, Aunt Alice was severely lacking. I found myself worrying over the stupidest of things. Aunt Alice had asked me to call her "Mom." I just didn’t feel comfortable (for reasons unknown) doing that.

They walked in while I was in the backyard firing up the grill. I ran inside the moment I saw Sam heading for the gin bottle. His behavior was beginning to be cause for concern. I wondered how much he was drinking when I wasn’t around to stop him. How was I going to handle this? Like it was some kind of cutesy joke? Should I "out him" in front of the parents? That would just piss him off. I decided that after dinner we’d do a little online research and I’d show him the effects of "fetal alcohol syndrome."

With the four of us in attendance, I made enough burgers for six. I had no idea how many Sam would be eating these days. I reasoned that if he was going to be putting anything in his body, food would be best.

Dinner passed uneventfully. The "Moms" were more into next week’s wedding than I would have imagined. I took that as a good sign. "Aunt Alice" became upset when I called her that. I explained that if I called her "Mom" while Mom was there, it could get rather confusing. She accepted my explanation and let it pass. I knew that wouldn’t fly the next time I was over at their house. I guess it was one more thing I’d have to get used to.

With dinner over and everything put away, I ushered Sam up into my room and performed a google search on my computer. Sam became quite upset when he saw the graphic photos of newborns suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome. The pictures of those poor babies suffering sent chills down my spine. He promised me then and there that he’d not touch another alcoholic beverage. I hoped that it was a promise I could count on. Sam’s "friends" were known to tip back more than a few bottles of beer during an evening’s celebration after a victory. I had to keep him away from those gatherings, somehow. Oh, how I wished the babies were in my care. I laughed as I reasoned that it would be one sure way to get me to stop smoking.

"So there it is," he said matter-of-factly. I gave him the confused look he was attempting to elicit. "The scene of the crime. Want to go for a ride?" He asked as he pulled me towards my bed. I actually went into panic mode.

"Sam, we can’t do this here, now! Our mothers are downstairs!" He laughed and pulled me down on top of him. He was too damned strong for me to resist. "Sam please!" I begged. "We’ll have plenty of time for that next Sunday," I promised. I gave him my best pleading look. He wrapped a hand around the back of my head and pulled me to him. I slowly forgot what I was worried about as he teased me with his tongue. I finally came to my senses. "No, Sam! You have to learn that no means no!" He released me with a look that said I was breaking his heart. I knew there was no way I could perform with our Moms just fourteen steps below.

"What are they going to do, ground us?" He said and burst out laughing. I couldn’t help myself. I started laughing too. It was a special, memorable moment. I rolled off of him and gently rubbed his tummy. With my hands and my tongue, I gave him the release that he craved. I had to "shush" him a few times as he began writhing out of control. I vicariously experienced that same magical satisfaction. It was glorious.

Sam and I made our way back downstairs. Both of us wearing identical "shit-eating-grins." I could tell that both Moms knew exactly what we’d been up to, but thankfully chose to ignore it. The evening broke up early and Mom went into the sewing room to work on my gown. I told her I’d join her in a few minutes, that I had to call Darla first.

I had to ask her how Sarah was making out with my old job. I was surprised when she told me that she hadn’t heard from Sarah in a few weeks now. I knew she was interested in Fred, but was Darla actually changing sides? I didn’t pursue that line of questioning. She asked me how many bridesmaids I planned on having. I hadn’t really given it any consideration. I asked her if she thought that Sally would help out. Darla promised to call and ask her. I figured that Melissa would probably fill-in as well. This entire affair was getting more complicated all the time.

"We’ll have to go shopping for bridesmaid dresses and soon!" She exclaimed in anticipation. I laughed and promised her that we’d have it all taken care of by Wednesday. Then she asked me who she was going to be paired off with for the wedding. I sighed and told her I had no idea who Sam had in mind for best man.

"Don’t worry Darla, Fred’s going to be there. You’ll never have a better chance than this one. I hope it all works out for the both of you. I then told her that I had to go and help Mom with my wedding dress. We said goodnight and I promised to call her tomorrow evening.

With all that had been going on I doubted that I’d have much time to get any painting done this week. Still, I knew if I didn’t take those jobs that someone else would. I decided to schedule as many of them as I could for the upcoming week. I was a glutton for punishment.

With that thought in mind, I began making phone calls. Forty-five minutes later I had six jobs lined up for the week. That was enough. I got off the phone and ran down the stairs. I didn’t want Mom to get angry with me.

"Well, look who’s finally decided to show her face. And how is the fair princess?" she asked sarcastically.

"I’m sorry Mom. I had to call Darla and line up some work for the week. I was as quick as I could be," I told her.

She actually seemed to be somewhat understanding. Wonders never ceased. She had the frame of the dress already cut out and assembled and had me try it on. It was beautiful! I liked it just the way it was, but Mom promised it would look so much better when she was done adding the lace. There were tears in her eyes as she had me turn this way and that. A brief moment of confusion swept over me as I realized the significance of it all. Could I really go through with this?

"Mom, what’s going to happen after Sam and I are married?" I had to ask.

"What do you mean sweetheart?" she inquired.

"Well, is he going to move in here? Am I going to move over there? Are both of you going to throw us out on the street? Are we supposed to just continue on as we are?" I was overloaded with questions.

She actually laughed as she told me not to worry about it. She didn’t dismiss my questions, she admitted that they were good ones, but she had to sit down with Aunt Alice and work everything out. I asked her if she thought Melissa would agree to be a bridesmaid. Of course, she threw my question back at me and told me the only way to find out was to ask her myself. It was just then that the three of them came walking in the front door.

"Oh Joan! I’m so excited for you!" Melissa squealed as she ran up to me and gave me a hug. Had everyone lost their minds? Damn, this was supposed to be a happy occasion, yet I felt the only thing missing was the shotgun. Not that I didn’t want to marry Sam, I did. It just seemed like there was too much pressure from every direction.

Melissa and I chatted for a bit. I explained to her that I only had two girlfriends and asked if she’d please fill in as a bridesmaid. She laughed and told me she was hoping that I’d ask. "Joan Peters, that does have a nice ring to it," she said and smiled. I turned bright red and agreed with her that I liked the sound of it too.

Dan meanwhile sat in front of the TV watching ESPN while drinking a bottle of Budweiser. I didn’t even know we had any beer in the house. The four of us "girls" adjourned to the kitchen. I put on a pot of coffee and we began to make plans for next Sunday. The questions were fast and furious. How many people would be attending? What about food? Booze? Entertainment? It was closing in on eleven o’clock by the time we wrapped it up. It was decided that we’d order food for fifty, and get beverages accordingly. The Joan and Sam freight train was speeding towards its destination. Thankfully, it wasn’t out of control.

By Wednesday, I had all my painting jobs done for the week. I went and told Mr. Hospin that I was going on vacation for the next week and a half. I’m not entirely sure why I just didn’t tell him the truth. Perhaps I was afraid that he’d think less of me had I done so. The marriage license had been easier to obtain than I’d thought it would be. It seemed having the "mayor" preside over one’s wedding helped grease the bureaucratic wheels.

By Thursday’s end, all systems were go. The "bridesmaids" managed to find suitable dresses at Macy’s. No, they weren’t formal wedding attire, but they were appropriate and would serve the girls well for future functions. Fred had agreed to do double duty as videographer/photographer as well as handling DJ responsibilities. I was so glad that Sally was going to be part of the celebration.

Sam asked Billy to be his best man. I wasn’t too thrilled about that, but what can you do? It was his wedding too. Dan of course would escort Melissa and Jim, remember Jim? (part of the old gang.) He would serve as the final groomsman. I wasn’t sure which of those two I disliked more, Billy, or Jim. If nothing else, I’d gain more experience interacting with others my own age as Joan. I had no qualms about seeing those idiots again.

The rest of the week passed by in a blur. Sam actually asked if he could skip that Saturday’s game, but the coach told him if he wanted to be part of the team that he’d better be there. I guess that was for the best, well at least as far as the "Waves" were concerned. Although Sam hadn’t been scheduled to pitch, he was called upon in relief to save the game. This was the first time in county history that the Waves had an undefeated record this far into the season. Sam himself was setting his own records. No pitcher had ever gone this far with a zero-point-zero earned run average. Rumor had it that major league scouts were coming to the games. I found that a bit hard to believe. After all, he was only fourteen years old… and pregnant! I laughed insanely at the truth of it all.

Finally, the big day arrived. Although I hadn’t spent Saturday evening with Sam, he assured me that he’d not had a drop to drink. I believed him. He told me that he had to go out with the guys, you know, an impromptu bachelor’s party. He was crazier than I was. We were a perfect match.

It was a gorgeous summer Sunday. I’d spent Saturday preparing the backyard. Everything was glistening and ready for the upcoming ceremony. Aunt Melissa bought the wedding cake at Belle’s Bakery. It was a beautiful three-tiered cake with white frosting. I surveyed the situation one last time and went inside to get ready. Something old: I laughingly put on a pair of jockey shorts; something new: a sparkling pair of chandelier earrings courtesy of cousin Melissa; something borrowed: Mom’s antique pearl necklace; and something blue: a piece of ribbon tied in a bow around my right wrist.

I felt beautiful. My gown seemed to shimmer in the sunlight. The guests began to gather in the backyard. There were more people there than I’d anticipated. I nearly fell over when I saw Dad and Doreen in the backyard among the guests. Who the hell had invited them? He seemed to be happy enough. Could I go down there and face him dressed as I was?

"Mom!" I screamed. She came running into my room. "What’s he doing here?" I asked pointing out the window.

"Now just calm down Joan. Everything’s going to be all right." She said and waited. I began shaking uncontrollably. Not a month ago the man had kidnapped me and threatened to send me to military school. Now he was here to attend the wedding of his fourteen year old "daughter?" I camethisclose to fainting. Mom and Aunt Melissa kept me from collapsing on the floor.

"Joan, you’re going to have to see him sooner or later," Aunt Melissa said. I had but one question with regard to that assumption: why? I looked closer and noticed that he was talking and joking with my grandparents. I truly had stepped into the Twilight Zone.

"But, I thought Grandma and Grandpa hated him?" I asked in a confused state.

"They did honey. It seems they don’t dislike him quite so much now that he’s an ex-son-in-law." Aunt Mel continued. This was all too much for me to handle. I sat down on the bed and began hyperventilating. What next? I half expected to see Sam’s erstwhile father in the company of Sarah. This was more than I could handle. I so wanted to go to the bathroom and soak my head in the sink. With my makeup already on and my hair just so, that would have ruined everything. Even a damp sponge would have ruined it all.

Aunt Melissa came to the rescue with a double shot of bourbon. She forced the glass to my lips and insisted that I drink it. I nearly spat the contents all over myself as the foul elixir hit my taste buds. I managed to get a swallow of it down and pushed the glass away being careful not to spill any. Aunt Melissa shrugged her shoulders and quickly downed the rest of the whiskey.

"Come on sweetheart, it’s time to go. Everyone’s waiting…" Mom said as her voice trailed off. Suddenly I felt like I was at a Halloween party and I was in contention for best costume. I stopped in the kitchen before heading outside. I poured myself a shot of gin and drank it straight from the glass. I began to feel a bit woozy as I made my way into the backyard.

As if by magic, the traditional wedding march began to play. I thought this was supposed to be a small intimate gathering? There must have been seventy people there! Yes, I know, a small intimate gathering means different things to different people. My father grabbed my arm as I slowly made my way down the makeshift aisle. Perhaps we should have had a rehearsal? I locked my eyes on Sam. He was smiling down at me!

Finally we arrived at the small platform and I ascended alone. Sam stood there straight and tall in his tuxedo. The sun bounced off his angelic visage. I began to calm down as he took my hand in his own. The mayor began her magical pronouncements. Before I knew it I was saying "I Will" in response to Sam’s own. Then, he grabbed me in his arms and kissed me theatrically. It was over, we were now officially husband and wife.

I began nervously twisting my wedding band. It had taken on new significance in the last fifteen minutes. This really was a bit overwhelming. A line formed and people came up to greet us one-by-one. I didn’t know half of them. They all seemed to know me and Sam though. Fred continued taping the entire reception line procedure. He was really outdoing himself.

Grandma and Granddad were the last in line. I was totally numb by this point and simply hugged them both as they wished us well. There wouldn’t be any time today to get to know them better. With the greetings completed, Fred put on some soft background music as everyone headed for the bar. Aunt Alice and Aunt Melissa had everything under control in that department.

People who I didn’t even know kept coming up to me and telling me what a lovely ceremony it had been. I smiled at them all and thanked them politely. Finally, my Father and Doreen came over to me. Doreen looked radiant. She also looked as though she’d give birth at any minute. We hugged like sisters as she told me how glad she was that they’d been able to make it. I wanted to ask her what she’d done with my father and just who was this pod-person standing next to her, but that would have to wait for another time.

My Dad looked at me with tears in his eyes. "Joan, I’m so sorry," was all that he said. I told him that it was all right and that I was so glad that he had been there for my special day. The party began to get into fifth gear.

Darla became Fred’s eager assistant. Billy was a bit annoyed thinking that perhaps he’d have a chance with her. Ha! Talk about going from bad to worse; from Sarah to Billy? Thank God for small favors. Thankfully, Billy hadn’t said two words to me. We had nothing to talk about. I simply didn’t understand Sam’s friendship with him. I guess it was the love of the game (baseball.)

My husband came and escorted me into the middle of the dancing area. Since neither Sam nor I had a particular song in mind, Fred chose one. Soon Paul Stookey’s "The Wedding Song" began to fill the air. I’d never heard it before, but the sentiments were absolutely perfect. This was the first time I’d ever attempted to dance while not leading. OK, so I hadn’t had a lot of experience as it was, but still, I’d never gone at it from this direction before. Neither Sam nor I stepped on each other’s toes. If he had, I’d have killed him. I loved my white patent-leather pumps.

The song finished and everyone applauded as if we’d just taken first prize in the All-American Dance Contest. We smiled at them all and took our seats at the center of the wedding party’s table. It was time to make the toasts. A roar of laughter ensued as Billy had absolutely nothing prepared. Fred, once again, came to the rescue. It seemed that one of Fred’s many jobs was actually performing DJ services at weddings. His tuxedo was clearly no rental. I can’t recall his exact words now, but his toast was sheer perfection.

I was so proud of Sam! He lifted his glass of ginger ale and joined in with us all. To show my support for him, I refused the champagne and opted for the ginger ale as well. The cake cutting ceremony was also a tender moment. There was no cake shoved in anyone’s face. We each fed the other with affectionate loving gestures. I couldn’t imagine being any happier than I was that day.

"So sweetheart, what’s the big surprise? Where are we spending our honeymoon?" I asked impatiently.

"You’ll see," he said and kissed me tenderly…

***

Thus, "Joan’s Room" comes to a close. It’s going to be awhile before I begin posting chapters of Book Three (as yet untitled.) I’d like to take a moment and thank all of you for your kind wishes and thoughts. I hope you’ve had at least half as much fun reading this as I’ve had writing it. And, I have to admit, for myself, it was a lot more than simple "fun." I hope you’ll all be back to read "Book Three."

Peace be with you.

Always,
Darla…

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Joans Room

Darla,

I just came across your story. Very well written and had me wanting more. I very much look forward to Book Three.

Hugs

Karen

Joan's Room

Darla:

You have done it again with another well written book. It was hard for me to stop reading and I had to tell myself that it was time to quit and go to bed. You tell the story wonderfully and make the readers feel like they are a part of the story. You did a wonderful job. Keep up the good work.

KAREN DENISE COLE
_____________________________________________
It's Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

KAREN DENISE COLE
_____________________________________________
It's Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

Well, I now have

a dilemma. I binge read this book today, so I wouldn't be up until 5 AM like I was for the first book, and it is only midnight. Do I start book three or not? Just simply love this story!

tears of joy and sadness all at once

OMG Darla what a fantastic story.

Here I'm siting reading the 3rd day in a row the second day reading till 5 am.

You surely do put your characters through a lot and you make it all so vivid that I as the reader follow every high and low.

Its amazing how you can pack so much sadness, love, disaster, care, fun ... into one story. Rollercoaster it was called in some comments I read and I'm not sure I would want to right one with so extrem ups and down let a lone a real live one. This ceriously should be labeled as

!!! Caution! Extrem Danger !!!

Then again I wish I had 10% of those emotions in my own live. Your story is like a therapy for me in experiencing all kins of emotions. I'm not sure if there is an emotion I have no felt while reading your story.

I especially love how you vividly paint the strugles of each person with the constantly changing reality especially Joans.
I can soooooooooo relate to her and even though this is a very extrem live she is on I'm ceriously jellious of her.

At times I thought there is a single flaw in your story:
So many TG meeting each other out of a TG context and a therapist close at hand as well.
But when I started to entertain those thoughts I recalled what happend to me during 2003/2004 and what extremly unlikely situations I found myself in with meeting TG my age on two different continents at the right time and place and willing to help. I guess while your story is extreme and the odds all of this happening at once are slim it is still all quite possible and with how strange the lives of TG often are, maybe our odds are not comparable to those of other people.

No matter how likely or not the story line is, you make it so real that those thoughts just evaporate.

I'm sooooo happy for Joan (Sam too but I relate to Joan) and yet I'm so sad to and I cry tears of joy and sadness all at the same time.

Why do you do torture your readers like that?
What ever the reason please never stop!!!

You have a gift for writing like few have. Thanks for sharing that and please consider to publish this as a printed book.
I read comments about a TV-series and I doubt it could do this story justice and it is to long for a movie too.

Oh thank you again sooooooo much for letting me expirence so much through Joan and her crazy live. I wish I could hug the stuffing out of you right now.

tight hugs and tears of love

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Love it!

My namesake here was up until 5 AM with the first book too!

Very Good Ending Darla

... for such a wonderful series! I would like to thank you for having allowed us to live inside Joan and experience all her good times and adventures in the beginning of her transition. It was confusing at times but after our many talks I now understand something of whats going on.

Not seeing Joan up here on BC is going to leave a void that is not easily filled. It was something of a staple I came on each day looking forward to. It always hurts when something I consider like home gets pulled out from under me. As much as I wish you could keep on writing, I know you need a break.

*hugs* few tears falling.

Sephrena Miller

Quite a ride

Best wishes for the happy couple!

Even when it ends it doesn't end. But that's life, isn't it?

Thanks for a well-crafted tale, Darla.

What did mom do?

Gradma and grandpa talking to the jerk delinquent husband and his pregnant girlfriend? Dad acting nice to his child?

Did mom learn witchcraft?

Nice end, part three when it is ready will be a must read, So many loose ends, so little time. Your a tease.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

some small flaws it seems

Yes I have to agree but this story is so great that it is hard to voice critic even where it seems justified.

tight hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Joans Room

Very well written. I enjoyed the series, even though Sam can be a true jerk at times too.

I hope they find out a marriage is a two way street. I can see that Sam wants to be a ruler and everything is for him. I hope Joan controls him better at the beginning and lays the law down.

I agree with John. Did Alice or Joan's mom learn witchcraft. What is up with DAD? What's up with the Grandparents? Lots of questions and no answers. What was her dad truly sorry about? Leaving? Marrying another woman? Trying to kidnap him? How he treated her, not understanding Joan's needs? I would love to find out what he truly is sorry for? What was Joan's mother thinking about the scum bag she married? How was she holding up to him being there running away from their family? She seems awfully calm about it?

What about Sarah, how is she making out since she took over the sanding job? She kind of disappeared from the series.

You have enough material to make more books.

Hugs dear. I hope your next book starts soon. I enjoy this series with it's twists and turns. Please keep up the good work.

Unanswered ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... questions:
1) Why Dad's change of heart?
2) What happened to Sarah?
3) What IS Mom's situation, financial and otherwise?

My prediction is that in book three, JOHN will wake up in bed with a feminine Samantha, having DREAMED everything ala Bob Newhart. :-) Well, I suppose that IS a bit too much, but the smooth sailing wedding week and wedding being a dream wouldn't be too farfetched. Thanks for the ride Darla.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

An excellant ending though as

nikkiparksy's picture

An excellant ending though as some have already mentioned there must have been some majic about as Joan's dad surely would have commented on her getting Sam pregnant among other thing's.Great work really looking forward too book 3 .Have a Happy New year.