Blues for C Pt 2 of 2

Printer-friendly version

Part 2 of 2.

This follows directly from Pt 1. The continuation and conclusion of the tale.

Two people form a relationship that takes a few turns from where either of them expected things to go.
There is a bit of violence here, but not too graphic.

A few expressions and phrases may be unfamiliar to some. Where I thought appropriate I have marked with an asterisk and a meaning is placed at the end.

Thank you to Dimelza Cassidy for much needed advice on 'Blues' bike. Any errors are down to me not asking the right question.

This is a work of adult fiction. No resemblance to reality should be inferred or expected.

Copyright KLS 2006.

Blues for C.

Part - 2 of 2

By Kristina.L.S.

1.

Jessica sat and let her thoughts wander where they would. 'Did what she 'maybe' knew change anything really? No. Except, perhaps, in the details'. She liked Chris and whether he was... a gay he, or, what was the word? ... Well if he felt like a she. No, it didn't really change anything. Chris, boy or girl could play and that was what she needed. The fact that she liked, ah, Chris did not alter that. It would possibly fuel the rumour mill if she started appearing with a female guitar player, but that would happen regardless, so...

On the up side it could be fun. Having a 'girl' friend on tour, as opposed to all guys. She snorted at the thought of 'playing' big sister slash mentor. Sure there were girl musicians, but not many, some in the PR side and for big promos/tours, makeup, choreography, wardrobe and the like, but generally...

Then of course there was the question, 'did she know what she thought she knew?'
Was she over-interpreting? It could be that Chris just liked to dress up from time to time. But she had the feeling it was not that simple.

This was going to be a pretty low key, in numbers, tour, so... what? Phil, her manager and no doubt his PA Liz. A sound and lighting guy, with an off-sider or two. Blue, she hoped. Herself. Chris, as boy or girl. A driver when outside the metro areas or interstate and that was probably going to be it. It might change the logistics a little, but beyond that...

She glanced at her watch, 'forty-five minutes, oh well... another coffee'. Her gaze returned to the immediate surroundings and she noticed a gawky kid that looked like one of those 'Bratz' dolls, without all the makeup, standing nearby clutching a CD and looking very nervous. About 14 she guessed. Jess smiled at her, "Hey there, cute outfit. Is that for me?" She glanced at the CD and smiled again.

She blinked and then grinned, "Ah, yeah, sorry. I saw you sitting here and I... well I only live up the road... and me mum said I was mad and if it was you not to bother you... but would you sign this it's your latest. I think you're great."

She put the CD on the table and pushed it across using both hands, " Um, my names Tracy, Tracy Wilson, maybe we're related, ya think? That'd be cool."

"Well I don't know Tracy, but it's possible I guess. Do you have a pen? No... never mind I'm sure we can borrow one." She got up and went to the counter and a ball point was passed over.

Slipped the inner sleeve out and across the photo wrote, 'To my dear cousin Tracy who will make the family proud - hugs and kisses Jessica Wilson'.
Jess returned the pen as Tracy read the inscription and smiling widely, "..hey thanks so much, that's great..", and bounded out the door with that slightly gawky, coltish run that young girls have.

Jess sat again and shook her head with a soft smile sitting on her face. The lady that leant her the pen placed another coffee on the table, "That was nice of you. Coffee's on the house love. You're alright." She smiled at Jess' thanks and returned to the counter.

Her mind wandered again as she sipped and sat for several minutes just space gazing. Then with a slight shake tossed the coffee down and with a smile and wave headed to her car.

She was still early, but... well, 'let's see shall we'. This time she knocked. Well ding-donged actually, she could hear it and picked up a slight creak of floorboards as footsteps headed her way. There was still music playing but not as loud as earlier. She stared at the old door, etched glass panels in a painted wood frame. It rattled a little as it opened to a smiling Chris. Barefoot, cotton drawstring pants and that same long T, no obvious breasts. Could she see the outline of a crop top? His hair was pulled back as usual. Funny, she'd never noticed the small diamond stud in his right ear, just the hoop in the left.

She must have taken too long to respond to his, 'Hi', or maybe it was the blush that spread up her cheeks. Whatever, the smile dropped and he went pale. Just turned and walked away through the house.

"Shit! Chris... wait." She followed his trail and saw him head out through the sunroom to the back door where he headed down the steps and sat in an old sun chair under a tree and gazed into the valley. With a sigh Jess returned to the front and closed the door. Then set about making coffee and tried to figure out how to do this.

Jess sat two coffee's on the small round table and took the second sun chair. There was no acknowledgement from across the table, so...

"Um, Chris I won't pretend I understand at all. I, well, I came here earlier but I didn't knock. I wanted to be sure things were set up, so I came down the side. When I saw a woman walk in and start singing and dancing, pretty well too, I was curious and watched for a minute or two and then I realised it was you. I'm sorry I spied on you, it wasn't intentional. I thought you had a friend in, until.... I... well I like you and I don't really care if you're Chris or... what... Christine, it doesn't matter except in how you feel. I wondered about you being gay and stuck my nose in. Now I'm really doing a Pinocchio and to be honest I'm not sorry. That night at my place I wondered, your manner and when I saw you in the robe, you seemed almost hairless and didn't need to shave the next morning. And well...I would rather know the real you than have a wall sitting in the way. If you want to be a woman and play as one I don't care. You're good and that doesn't change with a few clothes or whatever. So just be yourself, be honest with me, trust me if you can and we'll go from here." She started to say something else but instead lapsed into silence and just sat, waiting and hoping.

There was a soft sigh from the other chair. "You know, I nearly told you the other night. But it's not really the sort of thing you blurt out to relative strangers. So I figured I'd play it by ear and see where things went. Whatever else I could do the tour and album, get a bit of money together and maybe do the switch to full time after. If we became and stayed friends you would probably find out sometime and that bothered me a bit. I haven't seen or spoken to my family in over 6 years and the only 'friends' I told haven't been back, so I'm a little wary."

He paused for a minute to gather his thoughts and Jess waited silently not wanting to break the flow.

"I've known since I was 6 that I wasn't quite a regular kid. Didn't fully understand it of course, but I pretty much knew. You piece bits together as you go along. Look at this or read that. So... a few years back I headed off to just wander and try to figure myself out. Finally I started seeing a psychiatrist. Weekly for a while, now a coupla' times a year. I spent about 12 grand over two and a half years getting my face and a few other spots zapped to remove hair. I use a mousse and a retardant fortnightly to keep it gone everywhere else. About a year ago I started on hormones. I plan to start living full time as Christine in a few months, depending... Still, the timings fluid, if not the desire... hmm not the right word but..." The story jumped around a bit as Jess' expressions suggested further clarification was needed and thoughts that hadn't been vocalised much, if ever, were put into words and tasted. After about half an hour as Chris lapsed into silence...

"Chris, I mean this, I don't care... that is, if you want to be guy or gal, it's cool with me. I watched you this morning and 'she' seemed comfortable and happy. With him there is always a slight distance, maybe that will go if she comes out. I like you and I want to be your friend and I'm selfish enough to say I want you to help me make an album, a very good album." She smirked and laughed as an image came to mind. Then turned a little serious.

"Just be aware that Christine will almost certainly be branded my lesbian lover as soon as we're seen together. Um, I guess if you're wary of your 'secret' coming out you need to consider that. Press scrutiny can be a real pain, so, open and honest I think. If you can handle that... well, we're good. I rather like the idea of having a girl friend around. The biz can be a bit, ah, male at times. But don't take it lightly, it can get nasty." She was slightly annoyed and a little surprised to see a wide smile, almost laughter on Chris' face.

"So are you? Gay I mean?"

It took a moment and then she spluttered and laughed herself. " You bastard, um, bitch. Well ok, I guess you owed me that one. Am I gay? Well... no, but then maybe I haven't met the right girl." She smirked back at Chris as he, she, smiled softly and sipped the coffee. Only to pull a face, "Yuk, cold. Back in a minute."

2.

Jess sat and relaxed. 'Phew, no worries. Thank god.' It only needed to be seen whether Chris would stay as a guy or slip into the gal role. As it was his plan anyway she thought he would go with 'gal', but that probably depended on all sorts of things she knew nothing about. In a sense it didn't matter at all from her perspective. But she thought she would like to be around and maybe even help Christine. With 'Chris' there was always a slight distance, a fear of letting people in and then getting hurt. She had noticed, when he glanced her way, that the sadness in his eyes had faded as he talked and hoped that would continue. The closer you were to your band mates the easier it was to know where the others were going. Became almost instinctive and that led to great music. But... she frowned at past memories, get too close and it can wreck everything. She must have sighed aloud...

"So what's the big sigh for? If you want to stop here and find someone else..."

Chris sat and with an expression somewhere between pain and longing looked at her face, switching from eye to eye, trying to 'feel' an answer.

She sighed again and smiled ruefully, " No Chris. I don't want to find someone else. You may not be perfect, but you'll do." She grinned and then turned serious.

"No, I want to play with you. I was just wondering whether that would be with 'Chris' or 'Christine'. It doesn't really matter but I admit to finding Christine 'easier', I think. Chris has a distance and sadness that 'she' doesn't. But then I haven't really met her... So, it's fine either way. And then I started thinking about friendships and bands and how close is good but too close is disaster." She lapsed into silence and Chris pondered things he'd heard and read.

"You mean your first manager I guess. That ended pretty badly, public slanging matches and court cases for royalties and then an assault charge. Not much fun I would guess. But, ancient history and none of my business. Unless you want to talk about it. Seems to me he used you and tried to rip you off. Control you by having a relationship and then smacked you one when you rebelled. I don't know the details but... that about sum it up?"

"Yeah. Not too far wrong. I was naíve and stupid. Trusted too much and thought I loved... Well as you say, ancient history. So, whadaya reckon, Chrissie gal, shall we go make beautiful music together. I want to meet her properly so let's go get you slipped into something more comfortable. Lose the crop top at least. Then, we'll have a look at the charts* and listen to the rough copies I did on disc."

Chris looked a little uncomfortable as he?... sat and sipped his reheated coffee. Then with a slight nod, "Ok. Come on then, let's get to it."

They climbed the steps into the house and Jess headed to her car to get the charts and CD's as Chris headed for the bedroom. She came back in, closed the front door and headed back to the sunroom to find Chris standing, waiting. She looked her up and down. Same clothes, but... hair loose, dangly earrings 'the same ones?', still no makeup, soft flats on her feet and small breasts now obvious on her chest.

She smiled nervously, " Hi Jess, nice to meet you."

Her voice was a little softer and a couple of tones higher, noticeably feminine and natural. Jess found herself wondering what 'she' looked like in just her underwear and before she even thought about it asked the question.

"Hmm, you look nice... um, could I see your body? Not fully... just underwear. Shit, sorry, I'm being thoughtless, forget it." They were both blushing hotly by now. But Chris just gripped the hem of her T with opposing hands and flipped it up and off, then dropped her cotton pants and stood in just lacy Royal blue brief and bra. Jess eyes wandered up and down. 'Pretty nice figure, slightly thick in the waist, small bust. But... pretty nice. A very slight bulge in her crotch if you looked close.' She shook her head and blushed again as Chris fidgeted nervously and proceeded to slip her clothes back on.

A slight waft of perfume reached Jess as they sat on the lounge with the charts scattered on the pulled up coffee table and looked them over as basic piano or guitar and vocal tracks played in the background. It distracted her, so she asked, "Nice scent, what is it?"

Chris grinned, her self-consciousness seemingly gone, " 'Beautiful' Estee Lauder, nice and not too expensive. Hey I'm just a stugglin' muso gal, not a rich bitch rock star like you." The poked out tongue and wide grin took any sting off and Jess nodded and smiled.

Shook herself again, "Sorry this is just a trifle weird. I mean I've seen a few drag shows... But I've never sat and chatted with someone like you. I was right though, you're more comfortable and once I get over my, ah, sense of..." She waved her hands trying to find the right word or phrase.

"Do you go out dressed up often? I mean you look good and I doubt you'd have many problems but... was it scary the first time?"

Chris smiled and sat back in her seat.

"Yeah, I go out a bit. A few times a week or more, shopping and whatever. Just normal stuff. The first time... that was about 6 months ago and I was scared shitless. Roamed a big shopping centre mainly browsing and did a bit of basic food, makeup and undies at the supermarket. No doubt had security types following me suspecting a junkie thief or something. I probably gave off waves of fear. But, hey I survived and it got easier. I get clocked* occasionally, but as long as you're honest and treat people nice it's seldom a problem. I steer clear of drunken crowds with lots of guys though. Got thrown out of a boutique once, but..." with a shrug she smiled and sat back watching Jess.

Jess smiled at her and just looked back, taking in the ease and naturalness as Chris sat. It was a girl she saw. If you looked closely you could pick up a few signs that all was not what it seemed, but... overall, a girl. She grinned and nodded.

"Well, honest and nice it is. It'll be good to have a girl friend on the road who understands music and such. What is the appropriate word anyway I can't think of it?" Chris looked puzzled for a second then smiled a little crookedly.

"Oh, you mean Trans-gendered. Transitioning from male to female. Used to be Transsexual but I guess that's not PC enough any more, same thing though. I guess I need a label or a badge maybe, '...Yeah I used to be a guy...', shit."

"I'm sorry, didn't want to upset you I just..."

"No, it's cool. It will probably come up, so... I guess that's what I am. Face it as it comes. I'm sorta used to it anyway. So... let's get back to the music then eh."

They sat and worked their way through the charts and songs, defining each others parts, substituting chords and setting the tone for each individual piece. After about 6 hours they had reached a basic understanding of each others perception of where each song would sit and how it would be presented. A basic list of 15 with another 4 probable out-takes. Hellishly boring if you weren't involved but hugely involving, satisfying and to a degree draining if you were part of it. And then there was the buzz once it got recorded and you could hear it back. Now they just had to start the process of getting it down on 'tape' or hard-disc/CD as the case may be.

Jess stretched and pondered the current situation. She was thrilled with the afternoons work and really energised with the idea of a real friend that understood the game and the creative side. If she could help the slightly sad and introspective Chris evolve into the more easy-going Chrissie so much the better. The idea of having a true friend there on the road was a release she hadn't known she needed.

She glanced across and grinned widely at Chris as she tried a few variations on a chord sequence for the last song, nodded to herself and noted it down on the chart. She looked up suddenly and blushed at the scrutiny, "What??"

"Oh nothing, just admiring your work ethic. Come on let's have a quick shower, get changed and go out for a feed and a bit more get to know one another. My treat. I want to see Chrissie out in the big wide world. Come on, a meal, your choice. I'll drive, so you can party on if ya like. Just don't go pickin' up any stray guys or you're on your own." She laughed and almost fell off the lounge at the expression that crossed Chris' face. Then laughed again at the sheepish expression that followed with an, "Ok, sure that would be good."

They had decided Jess would stay at Glenorie for the week or two rather than drive back and forth to Coogee. She had enough packed to last the time and looked forward to it as an almost working holiday. After a quick shower they both dressed simply for a quiet night out. Jess had to whistle as Chris appeared.

Strappy medium heeled sandals, tight jeans, a fitted halter style top and light makeup. A small clutch held almost protectively across her stomach in both hands. Jess' own outfit was very similar. A silk sleeveless blouse and slightly more skilful makeup the only real difference.

"Come on hon. Let's go knock 'em dead. Where do ya fancy then?"

"Well lets duck across to Newport* and have some Indian, there's a really nice place then we could go to 'The Sands', Dee Why or Manly, see what's playing. Just take it easy and see how we go."

"Ok, girl, let's go. You direct and we'll have a girls night out together. It'll
be nice."

They both climbed into the Honda and as Jess backed out Chris inserted a CD into the player and sat back with a slight smile. It started with a carnival barker calling for tickets, then punchy guitar... and away it went.

"Ok. You got me, who's this then? Hot playing, but I have no idea."

Chris grinned and mimicked guitar playing, " My latest hero after Larry Carlton. The real king of the Tele, unfortunately he killed himself a while back, but he left some killer music behind. That's Danny Gatton, one of the hottest guitarists ever."

Jess could not help but laugh at the enthusiasm and sheer joy as Chrissie listened and almost unconsciously made the hand gestures of fretting a guitar. The disc played all the way south and down the highway and across to Mona Vale then north to Newport. She smiled all the way as did Chris. And she had to agree the guy was one hell of a guitar player.

They parked a couple of blocks short of the restaurant and walked up chatting easily and Jess had to shake her head at how natural it seemed. She'd only known this guy a couple of weeks and here he was at ease and happy walking down Pittwater Rd for all the world a mid twenties woman going for dinner with a friend. The thought intruded that it would not always be so easy or happy. A thought she shook off as smiling at Chris they climbed the stairs to the 1st floor to be greeted by a bowing Sikh that directed them to a corner table and with a flourish of napkins seated then both, left menus and a wine list and returned in moments with a big basket of papadums and a jug of iced water.

They ordered a Yarra Valley* Pinot Noir and then selected a special mixed entrée for 2 and a couple of mains. The beautiful sari clad waitress smiled and bowed and never considered mentioning that the two young ladies would never eat all they had ordered.

Two hours later they admitted defeat. A noble effort but as usual with Indian the quantities defied their efforts to finish. Leaving part of a bottle of red and bits of entree's and mains they waddled down stairs and headed to the beach for a stretching head clearing stroll. Stripping off their shoes they walked barefoot, arm in arm, chatting easily and naturally. Just two young women enjoying the evening on the soft golden sand. It was nearing 11 and both agreed they were not really up to carrying on, so back to the car and a quiet drive home to Glenorie. A cup of tea and turns in the shower and off to bed after a quick hug that Chris held just a moment longer than necessary. With a soft kiss to her left cheek Jess wished Chris a good night and see you in the morning. They both lay back a little after midnight and thought through the day, back and forth. But despite that, both were asleep quite quickly and dreamed their own dreams.

3.

Chris was up a little before 8 and headed outside to do a light Pilates workout. The noise of coffee making and general puttering around drew Jess just after 8.30. She noted the camisole top and cotton beach pants Chris wore and the ease with which she accepted, girl. For her part Chris tried to act as though nothing out of the ordinary was happening but did not quite succeed.

"Ok, what's up? You were at ease last night and now you're all tentative and shy. We're friends I hope so, spill..."

"Ah, well I had a dream last night about you and me. A bit of a..." The blush that spread up her face left little doubt as to what sort of dream. Jess couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh Chris. I'm flattered. Never jumped into bed with a guy-gal, could be fun and would certainly be, ah, interesting. Probably better if we keep it to friends though eh?"

Chris nodded and relaxed, looking a little sheepish. But both had slightly distracted expressions on their faces as they sat to coffee. It took a few minutes, but the conversation started and flowed fairly easily as they chatted back and forth. Neutral stuff that ultimately led to music, of course.

Taking another cup each they headed in and Jess sat at the keyboard, tinkled and switched from 'electric piano' to 'natural' while Chris grabbed her acoustic and set the PA to low volume and tweaked the EQ* a little to adjust the balance of each instrument. They ran through a song intro to get the feel each listening closely to their own and each others. They each posed tweaks and after a little fiddling settled on a nice balance that worked for both.

They had four songs to run through initially and over the next few hours worked them up till they were both happy. A few adjustments here and there. One of the four ditched as it did not seem to fit and the other three pretty much defined to each others satisfaction. With only coffee and bathroom breaks they worked through till 4 and called a halt. They switched to 'electric' and worked another two until 7. They were both smiling as these just fell together and sounded great.

As the sun faded Chris set about chopping and sorting the bits for a soft Thai style chicken curry while Jess ducked down the road to the closest Bottle Shop for a few wines. She came back with a mixed dozen of whites and reds, depositing them on the corner kitchen bench and putting a couple of whites in the fridge. She shrugged a little ruefully at Chris' raised eyebrow and unspoken question.

"Well I thought it would save a few trips and keep us in booze for the next week or so." She poked a tongue out at Chris bemused headshake and exasperated, if somewhat exaggerated, sigh. They both laughed as Chris handed her the opener for the pre-chilled one she held. A final stir, the pan on low and the rice cooker into the microwave, "...twenty minutes, let's sit."

With a nod to Jess at the taste of the crisp Riesling Chris sat and sipped
quietly as Jess relaxed in another chair. There was soft Miles Davis playing in the background as they sipped in companionable silence. Finished the glass and refilling, sat to eat. The night flowed gently and a little after 12 they mutually called the day to a close.

The next four days were pretty much carbon copies. The songs changed as did the menu, but otherwise... Finally, they were both satisfied with the song selection and had even decided after a bit of experimentation with 'Perfect Imperfection' and a few others to include a soulful 'torch' version of the old Beatles thing 'Oh Darlin'. The original plaintive almost screaming of Paul McCartney was changed to a muted and much more introspective feel, both having agreed that to just copy it was not on. So 13 originals and one cover.

Jess was really thrilled with the whole process and more than happy with the feel of each piece. The way Chris had taken to the songs and on a couple of occasions rearranged them had been such a different experience she was at first a little taken aback. But after listening to the re-chorded and tempo-changed version of one she relaxed and realised that she now had a friend and collaborator that she could trust and respect. And that was worth gold.

For her part Chris was thrilled that Jess listened to the ideas she had, rather than jumping on them as she suspected had been her first inclination. They were after all her creations. Chris was just the hired hand, at least at the start. But perhaps now they were becoming true friends and she thought Jess saw it the same way. They were beginning to get that almost instinctive feel for each others ideas and mental directions, both musically and personally. If they did argue it was not too heated and one or both soon adjusted position as necessary to settle things. The near hysterical laughter that had ensued as Jess had posed the comment, "We've become an old married couple in only a few days". To which Chris' questioning response was," Who was the wife", had dropped them both in tear riddled laughter that held up proceedings for almost an hour by the time they had fully recovered and stopped giggling at the slightest look or word. Then they both sat and tried to think through what had actually occurred and just what was so funny and what the hell did it mean. Apart from a few friendly kisses and hugs there was...
With coffee and a much more sober mood they had continued for another few hours but the spark had dimmed and they halted for dinner earlier than normal.

They had agreed to take the weekend off. Relax, go brunching at café's, see a movie, listen to a band or two, dine out, lie on the floor listening to CD's, whatever and wherever the mood took them. The only break from their agreed mutual 'holiday' from the music was when late Saturday night as they relaxed with a wine and Diana Krall live in Paris on DVD, Jess had grabbed a pad and sat writing and thinking. Over the next hour or so she jotted bits and pieces until finally closing it with a smile. She refused to let Chris see or hear the new song she had just written. After a few attempts at cajoling and then pouty sulking Chris resigned herself with a melodramatic sigh to waiting. She'd 'see' it eventually and she knew from Jess' expression it was a good one, so...

Monday they were set to 'put down' the demo's and Chris fiddled about setting up the microphones. Three vocal mics. One each at Jess' guitar and piano position and one for her. Separate ones angled close up for the two acoustic guitars. One each for the two instrument amps, one each side for the PA speaker stands and two for background ambient sound. That with the DI's* took almost all 16 tracks on the mixer which was, with a few noted tweaks for individual songs, pre set and ready to go. They had, with a bit of fiddling and experimentation worked it out over the last week. Just the final nerve induced fiddling.

So they set about the basic recordings for the new Jessica Wilson CD tentatively titled, 'Keep it Simple'.

Over the next four days they worked over and re-did each song several times, putting everything onto the hard drive and backing up to CD's. They had already decided to do it all 'live'. No overdubs or add-ons. Only what they could do in a live situation, just the two of them. Vocal and two guitars, or vocal, piano and guitar, depending on the song. By Thursday night they were pretty much done and very happy with what had been put down onto 'disc'.

They were sitting listening to some of the tracks when the doorbell went. Neither heard it. It was only when the familiar figure of Blue appeared at the side window that they realised they had company. He waved at Jess and wondered why she and the other woman looked almost scared at his arrival.

Chris had a sudden flash of fear, which she was sure reflected Jess' reaction to some degree. But with a slight tightness in the belly, she got up, turned the volume down and called him to come around and come on up.

He climbed the steps and smiling glanced between the two women trying to figure the nervous tension coming from them both. Especially the girl closest to him, he nodded to her as be spoke and then focused on Jess.

"Hey love, how ya doin'? Jess. So where's Chris then? I expected..." He stopped as the whole scene suddenly came into focus. Turned and looked closely at the now, even more nervous woman who stood straighter and looked him in the face almost defiantly.

He stared closely at that face for perhaps a minute then let his eyes wander slowly up and down the whole figure. A bemused grin slowly spread over his face as he blew out equally slowly and nodded to himself as much as the others. He stood and waited for long seconds as the woman he now realised was Chris relaxed.

"Ya coulda' said somethin' guys. I only look like a nasty ol' troll. I'm just a big pussy cat really. Ya wound me with this grievous slur on me character." He hoped the ridiculous speech and sorrow-full expression he was doing his best to produce would ease the remaining tension.

Chris exhaled the breath she hadn't realised she was holding as Jess jumped to her feet and with a few steps hugged Blue and whispered a quiet "sorry" in his ear. He winked at her to show he understood and smiled at Chris who now seemed somewhat easier.

"So ladies. I was on me way to meet some mates but I think a coffee and a little chat is in order eh. Up to you of course, but I won't bite and I am a little curious how this happened in the last coupla' weeks. Though I guess it's been percolating a bit longer than that. So white and two thanks Chris love. Jess can start while you do the honours. Unless you don't want... in which case I'll leave ya in peace."

Jess and Chris exchanged a quick glance and nodded to each other, " Sure Nic. Take a seat. Coffee for you Jess, I think I will?" She nodded back again and headed to her seat as Blue spread himself on the lounge and cocked an ear at the still running disc they had dubbed the probable 'for release' tracks onto.

"Sounds good Jess. You two work well. So...?" She outlined how she had 'discovered' Chrissie up to the sitting in the back yard. Chris came back at that point and handing each a coffee sat in the other chair and tucking her bare feet up under her took up the story. Giving Nic the same rough outline that Jess had gotten a week or so earlier.

They all sat sipping cooling coffee as Nic digested what he'd heard. After a few minutes he roused himself and with a smile glanced to Chris and then Jess.

"Ok, that's not a problem. It's your life Chris and I respect the choice and admire your guts in going with it. Appearances to the contrary I am not totally a chauvinist arsehole, just when it suits. So I understand your reticence to open up but I hope we're cool now. I have come across, ah, others like you in the past. Some are fine, some are hopeless parodies, some...well. You seem comfortable and natural with it. I thought Chris was a nice guy and I'm sure Christine will be a nice girl."

He stopped and clapped his hands, "Anyway, the reason I dropped in. I'm meeting a few old mates down Wiseman's Ferry pub. As it's on the way, thought I'd drag you two away from your work and maybe get a few tunes outa ya. There's a duo playing that I know and I figured they wouldn't mind you borrowing the guitar and piano and demo'ing a coupla tunes for old Blue and his friends.

4.

"I was gonna ask Jess. But seeing... How do ya fancy bein' an honorary bitch for the day Chris?" He managed to hold a straight face for a little under a minute as Chris' face reflected surprise and anger and slight shock and general embarrassment. At almost the same time Jess spluttered aloud as she gave up trying to hold the laughter back and walked over to give the confused and slightly hurt Chris a hug. Jess was still laughing as she squeezed her friend in reassurance as she forced a smile.

"Hey, it's alright. You're among friends. This... bastard pulled the same trick on me a year or so back. I almost hit him as he back-pedalled. Apparently that's
what passes for biker humour. Anyone riding double is 'the bitch' or 'sitting in the bitch seat'. Puerile I know but there ya go." She poked her tongue out at Blue and with another light hug returned to her chair.

"Yeah, sorry about that Chris, but I just couldn't resist. But the offer is genuine. I'd like to take you for a ride and show you how great it is. I'll go gently and I do have a helmet for you. This... bossy bitch, can follow in her car. Far too good fer the likes of us commoners." He winked at Jess and turned back to Chris, "So fancy a ride on my baby. Assuming you can bear to wrap your arms around a big smelly ol' rough nut like me. I think you'll enjoy it. I know 'herself' over there did, once she'd finished tearing me a new one. Shrewish is what comes to mind..." He mock ducked as Jess mimed throwing her coffee cup at him.

The momentary hurt had dissolved and Chris smiled at this pair of idiots. He knew Jess was a friend and it seemed Nic was comfortable with 'her', which was a relief.

"Well I have to say I've always liked the idea of bikes if never really getting into the whole scene. What do you think Jess, shall we go with this buffoon and entertain his mates with a couple of songs. They're yours, so it's up to you."

"Sure, why not. I've probably met a couple of these guys before and a little impromptu show gives us a chance to see the reaction to a couple of new ones. So bitch, let's do it huh."

The smile was not forced this time, " Ok bitch. So Nic, what ya got, a Harley?"

Mock outrage lit his features, "Oh wash your mouth out. No, they're fine, but I have an '82 Triumph. Bought it brand new in another life. Come on out and have a look." Both women rolled their eyes at his boyish enthusiasm.

" Men!" both muttered not too quietly through crooked grins. All three cracked up at that point as Chris led the way through the house and out the front door.

Chris walked across to the bike that sat in partial shade. Gleaming chrome, spoked wheels and a glowing dark red fading to black paint job as it seemingly merged with the ribbed vinyl seat. One helmet perched on the upturned end of the handlebar and another tied near the taillight. It was obviously not a new machine and just as obviously meticulously maintained. She smiled as she traced a cursive 'Blue' in white a little back from the fuel cap. The tail of the 'e' curling into a small heart.

With a raised eyebrow and a smile she turned to Nic. "Had to be a woman painted that there." It wasn't really a question. Blue smiled widely.

"Oh yeah, she was that alright. I'll be dreaming of her as I take my last breath. Gorgeous, smart as they come and actually seemed to think I was ok. Amazing. She died of breast cancer 6 years ago. Not even 40, damn, no justice in the world. Still, some great memories, she was a wild bitch." His eyes had softened as he stood reminiscing. With a slight shake he nodded to the "sorry" that came from both women. "Ah well, ancient history. So what ya think. She's beautiful aint she." That wasn't really a question either.

Chris smiled and shook her head as Jess stood back and watched the two of them with a small smile of her own. The slender Chris in black jeans and a faded red singlet top standing beside the taller barrel-chested denim and leather covered Blue. The smattering of grey through his long dark hair he had pulled into a short plait and the almost silver beard. Both were smiling and seemed comfortable in the others presence. 'Good', she hoped they'd be friends.

"Ok Nic. I'll ride with you, but lay off the 'bitch' thing if you don't mind. I know it's a joke but..."

"Hey, no prob. It's probably not funny anyway, more a bad habit I suppose. So, got any boots and a jacket you can put on? It gets a little cool from the wind even if it's warm like today. Ready when you are my lady. Your chariot awaits." He bowed from the waist with a big sweeping gesture and grinned evilly. All three laughed at that as he half sat, leant, on the bike and rolled a smoke. A crooked smile greeted the questioning looks from the two women.

"Every now and then I get the urge. Basically given up, but shit, ya need some vices. And it's tobacco, nothing funny, though just as anti social these days."

Chris and Jess headed inside. "You get your boots and jacket and head on. I'll lock up and follow you down in a few minutes, ok. Enjoy, it really is fun and Blues a good rider. He'll look after you."

"Ok, sure. I'm actually looking forward to it, never been on a bike before." She headed into the bedroom and pulled on some shortie cotton socks and her RM's. Grabbed an old jean jacket from the wardrobe and slung a small shoulder bag bandolier style. She called a, "see you shortly", to Jess and headed out to Blue.

He looked her up and down as she came toward him. The slender figure a little boyish but still feminine. Thick, soft, reddish, shoulder length hair blowing slightly in the breeze. No make up he could see and the eyes hidden behind oval shaped sunnies. He nodded at the outfit and handed her the black open face helmet.

"Yeah, I think you'll be fine. If I didn't know Chris was a guy... Well it suits you. Seems natural. Let's go shall we?" He straddled the seat and settled himself, "Jump on and wrap your arms around me. Try and go with the movement and it'll be smoother. I'll go easy till you seem comfortable and then we'll 'ride' a little. I hope you enjoy it. Ready?"

"Yep. Let's go, I'm looking forward to it."

Blue waited till Chris seemed settled and kicked the starter, the soft rumble unmistakeable as anything other than a motorbike. Eased the clutch and gently pulled out for the 25k cruise down to the ferry. He took it very easy until Chris shifted closer and her grip seemed easier, then he opened up a little and let the bike flow along the road and through the gentle bends. Fifteen minutes later he pulled off and stopped under the trees just past the old pub. There were already another dozen bikes there and a group of perhaps another twenty gathered on the grass two hundred metres down with laughter and general noise wafting up to them.

Chris jumped off pulling her sunnies and the helmet as she did so. Shook out her hair and turned to Blue.

He smiled as he saw the sparkle in her eyes. She grinned and let her eyes roam the scene and then returned her focus to him.

"That was great. Thank you. So what is this baby of yours, are you a tinkerer or is it stock?"

"Ah...it's an '82 Triumph T140E Bonneville 750, 5 speed. Tops out at 180k. Gets a little hairy at that speed though. Saved for 18 months and bought it new when I was 23. Basically stock, but I do 'tinker' a little. In that other life I mentioned I was an electrician. The electrics on these are crap, so I rewired and waterproofed. Switched the carbies for better ones and cut down the front guard a little. Other than that, as was."

"Well, I know nothing about bikes, but I like it. You obviously look after it. Bet you do all the work, don't you?" The wide grin was all the answer needed. He was an, 'interesting' guy, but she liked him.

She smiled and let her gaze wander and take in the scene. There were about 40 people sitting under the side awning with the two groups of bikers sitting, lounging might be more accurate, on two big bench tables to the far end. A small PA with keys and a guitar set up near the building. A couple sitting near the gear waved to Blue who returned it. She guessed they were the muso friends he'd mentioned. A few eyes drifted her way form the group at the end and she felt slightly uneasy at the scrutiny.

Blue noticed the slight tension as a few of the 'guys' directed their gaze her way. There seemed little doubt in his mind that 'her' fitted. He recognised most of the guys and was only worried about a couple. He was surprised to see Jake.

He whispered to Chris, "The guy heading this way. Basically a cool guy, but definitely not one to get on the wrong side of. Jake's the head honcho."

He headed across. The two heavies that shadowed his every move swivelling their eyes to take in the surroundings, and while not following, they missed nothing. Blue would bet that though it was very illegal, both would have a gun, probably automatics, hidden under their jackets. He chose not to mention that.

Chris watched as the tall, dirty-blonde haired guy rose and headed across toward them. As he got close he pushed his sunnies up onto his forehead and lifted Chris right hand to kiss the fingertips softly. His mouth quirked into an almost smile as his pale blue eyed glittered with amusement. He took Blue in a rough hug.

" So how's it goin' brother? Been a while. Not quite your usual chickie. Switchin' out are ya?" The smile got wider at his own humour and he laughed at Blues scowl.

"Hey, don't sweat it dude. Just teasin' ya. Seems like a nice kid, just curious."

Blue took a deep breath and shook his head. "You can be a right shit can't ya Jake. This is Chris, 'she's' a friend, alright. She is also Jess Wilsons guitarist and a damn good one. Jess'll be along soon and maybe give us a few tunes off the new one. So be nice."

Jakes grin got wider as Blue spoke, "Ah, you know me Blue. Life and all it's little quirks amuses me. No harm meant. Sorry if I offended you Chris. What you do with your life is your own business and if Blue here vouches for you... good enough for me. Plus I like Jess. She's a ballsy gal, cute too. "

Chris nodded at the semi apology and watched as his mouth quirked again and he strolled back to his seat. He moved like a stalking cat and left a mild feeling of... unease?, fear?, in his wake.

5.

Her musings were interrupted as Nic dropped an arm across her shoulders and gave a gentle hug, "Sorry about that. Come on let's meet Robin and Pete. It's their gear you'll be using. I've already asked and they're cool. So, as long as you guys are happy..."

He led the way to the couple she had noticed before as they, smiling, watched the approach. They made introductions and Pete showed Chris the gear as Robin and Blue chatted. It was a small JBL rig with an old Roland keyboard and an Ovation shallow bowl-back guitar. Two, battered, Shure '58's on stands for vocals. A simple, but good, setup for a duo. Chris thanked Pete for letting them use the gear, he smiled and handed her the guitar to see if it felt ok. He liked light strings, which was fine with Chris. She might have gone a fraction heavier, but hey... She settled on the stool and ran a few lines to get the feel then switched to chords. The PA was on standby so it was only acoustic, but it sounded and felt fine. Pete nodded as she said so and took it back to the stand.

Blue headed in to get a beer and a wine for Chris and Jess who would be along shortly. He had not long sat on returning when Jess pulled in and parked a hundred metres up and walked down as Chris waved her in. She thanked Blue for the wine, gave Chris a light hug and shook hands with Pete and Robin. They chatted easily for a few minutes until Blue excused himself saying he had to catch up with a few people and would be back in a while.

Chris watched as he made a beeline for one guy. Older, probably mid 50's, with thick silver hair in a pony tail and a patch on his right eye. They grasped right hands tight and pulled each other close to hug with the left arm. They held for over a minute, which definitely got Chris thinking that this guy was someone special. The two men talked for several minutes and repeating the hug, broke as Blue began greeting others, but none with the same emotion.

She was about to return her attention to those close when a skinny guy with dirty long straight brown hair pushed into Blues face and seemingly made some joke, that obviously Blue was not amused by. The tight body language was evident even at a distance. With a visible effort Blue laughed and pushed past to talk to someone else. The skinny guy scowled and made a 'wanking' motion to a pronouncement of some sort that got a few scattered chuckles. Blue paused, but did not turn around. She watched for another minute, then turned to the people she sat with. She noticed Jess grinning at her and then a wink that for some reason got her blushing. That raised a laugh from Jess, as Pete and Robin smiled knowingly.

With the distinct feeling that she was missing something, Chris pointedly ignored them and sipped her wine. All that achieved was to have all three laughing at her. Which just deepened the blush. The others just continued the discussion on equipment and music, ignoring the confused and mentally stumbling Chris. It was another few minutes before Jess jabbed her in the ribs to bring her into the conversation. She smiled and focused on what was being said, still unsure of what it was she had missed.

The conversation flowed and she became animated and comfortable. This was a subject she knew and could talk on. Maybe 10 minutes later Robin and Pete finished their drinks and headed up to switch on and begin the next set. She leant lightly against Jess as they sat and listened as the duo ran through a bunch of popular covers. Nicely done, and easy for the early afternoon crowd. Chris found her thoughts wandering as Jess headed in to get them another glass. The thought intruded that Robin and Pete where nice people and not bad musicians. But it was mechanical, no real emotion or feeling. And that was a shame she thought. Emotion, feeling, that lifted the whole thing... She was roused from her introspection by Robin, as she announced that they had a surprise for the lucky people today. Jessica Wilson and her guitarist Christine Cameron would play a few songs off the soon to be released album...

The whistles and claps that greeted that, as ever, caused goose bumps as Chris followed Jess to the 'stage'. Jess sat and ran her fingers over the keys to get the feel as Chris dropped the strap over her shoulder and strummed a chord. Both fiddled for a minute and made vaguely musical noises as they adjusted and reset things to 'their' ears. Then with a count in from Jess they sailed into 'Why' probably the opener for the new CD. For the next four minutes they concentrated on the plaintive question from an abandoned woman, that ultimately came to 'well screw you' as they hit the final chords and Chris ran through the end break and bent the last note back and forth. It was far from perfect as the exact nuance was lost on the unfamiliar gear. But the crowd seemed happy. And that was a big part of it in the first place.

They ran through 4 other tracks with equally enthusiastic response and then just for the crowd did 'Perfect Imperfection' and a mildly raunchy version of 'Oh Darlin' which got the biker dudes on their feet with raised glasses, clapping and cheering from the rest.

Jess wrapped Chris in a hug as they passed the gear back to Rob and Pete. She had that post show high, even after a short 40 minute set and was thrilled with the response. She pulled Chris close and kissed her on the cheek, " Ooh. I love that. The feeling after a show, even a short one. When the crowd just responds to the music. It's almost sexual." She hugged the taller woman and smiled at Chris' laughter.

They were invited down to join the group in the park area. With Blue as backup they felt fine and agreed. The next hour or so was easy as they mingled and were generally treated well by the group. There were a few women but they maintained a distance for the most part as Jess and Chris chatted to whoever wandered up. Blue kept an eye on them as he caught up with old mates and as the afternoon progressed, relaxed. As did everyone else.

The shadows in the valley were lengthening as the day headed to evening. Chris suddenly felt herself grabbed from behind by a smelly and drunk guy. A moment later she realised it was the skinny, lank haired guy that had baited Blue earlier. Reacting almost instinctively she grabbed his wrist and twisted out and down. This raised a howl and after a moment some sarcastic laughter from the assembled gang. With a flush of fear Chris realised she was in a somewhat precarious position as 'skinny' climbed to his feet a little unsteadily and glared at her.

As she watched his expression went from angry to malevolent.

"Well fuck me, it's a guy. The little poofter girly boy is not up to a bit a fun. Fuckin' peace a shit. Should be put down..." the snick as the knife blade flicked out was easily audible in the sudden hush. Chris braced for a lunge as she focused everything on the slimy bastard in front of her.

She almost missed the enraged growl that came from her right as suddenly a blur of denim and leather slammed a boot into 'skinnies' left knee and as he buckled with a howl, grabbed the right wrist and twisting dropped the knife to the grass a few feet away.

The following moments were a blur as Blue punched, drove an elbow to the throat, slammed 'skinny' to the ground and then reached, stabbing the knife to the hilt in the ground, snapped the blade off. He stood and stepped back as 'skinny' hissed and unsteadily got to his feet with a glint of insanity in his eyes. He was about to lunge when Jake stepped into the path and smiled at him. It was not a smile any sane person would wish to see and Chris shivered as she watched. Blue relaxed and stepped back as Jake nodded to him and turned to 'skinny', "Ah Weasel, what am I gonna do with you. Lets go talk, I've got a party tomorrow night..."

The voice faded as he lead Weasel away and Chris shivered some more as reaction set in. Jess wrapped her in a hug as Blue turned and asked if they were ok. They began to make plans to head home as Blue made a walk through to say goodbye to a few mates.

The sharp crack was a sudden and shocking slap to reality. Jess and Chris both saw Blue snap his head and a spray of blood as the bullet hit him in the throat. They ran forward but were beaten by the silver haired eye-patch guy. As he wrapped a cloth around blues throat and checked whatever you check in that situation the two girls were held back by unseen hands as someone whispered, "let old Patch sort 'im out. He was medic in Vietnam. He knows what 'es doin'."

They stood back and held on to each other for dear life as death hovered over the gathering. It was almost half an hour before the ambulance arrived and loaded Blue in. Jess managed to get a, "Well whoever looked after him till now saved his life. He should be ok." Before they headed off with sirens blaring.

It was another 4 hours before the police finished half-heartedly questioning the gathered witnesses or curious and finally let everyone go. They sat in the car and shivered with after shock as both considered mortality. Chris ran through the sequence as she had turned at the 'crack' to see 'skinny' pointing a... she guessed, cut down rifle. The paramedic had posited to Jess that if it had been other than a small calibre steel jacket... probably a twenty two, well... She had watched almost numb as Skinny had glared and practically danced and then turned at a bark from Jake. The gun was twisted from his grip by one of the minders. It then disappeared.

Both of them jumped as the dirty-blonde haired figure tapped on the glass. Jess reluctantly lowered the window to the pale blue eyes.

"I want you ladies to know. I'll take care of this. Blue is a brother and I look after my friends. We've had our disagreements... You will not be bothered again and I apologise for any upset." He passed a card to each of them. It held a mobile number. Nothing else.

"If either of you ever need anything, contact me..." He nodded and disappeared. The two minders shadowed without a word or sound.

Several hours later they sat at home nursing coffee and taking comfort from each other. Jess had finally managed to get onto the registrar at Royal North Shore and had been assured that 'Nico' was comfortable and should make a full recovery.

That night they shared a bed and neither moved nor pulled away until dawn crept in.

Sometime during the night Blues bike had appeared in the carport, in front of Chris' old Landie.

6.

It was a long quiet stretch of road. The Kenworth semi, with a big steel roo bar fitted up front, idled quietly on the verge. The driver sat up straight as he saw the car lights coming and checked the mirror. Yep, the old Ford ute pulled in behind, right on time. He jumped down and nodded to Jake, who slid from the passenger side of the car seemingly without moving. They passed without a word. It had all been said earlier. He jumped into the back tray of the old car where Jakes two hard eyed associates sat next to a giggling joint toking rat faced guy who seemed oblivious of his surroundings.

'Fuck, how did I get into this?' His thoughts made him nervous so Driver gazed out at the passing bush trying not to think as they cruised about 2k down the road and pulled off. The two hard-cases helped 'rat face' out and handed him a can. He took another pull on the joint and tossed the remnant. Then took a big pull on the can and burped loudly. His hair hung lank as ever and his eyes were bloodshot and even more squinty than normal.

"So where's the fuckin' party. WHERE's the Chick's! Hey, where'd Jake go?"

Hard-case one glanced across with a bored expression and rolled his eyes.

"Won't be a minute Weasel old son. Jake'll be right back. And then we party."

"Oh YEAH, fuckin' A!" 'Weasel' squinted and tried to make out his companions. Both the hard-cases put an arm around his shoulders and led him to the centre of the road. Where he wobbled slightly and giggled again in anticipation. The two just glanced at each other looking bored. They turned their gaze down the road as the sound of an approaching engine got louder and waited, timing it easily. After another 6 seconds they disconnected and with a nod to each other moved to either side of the road.

Jake glanced at the speedo and checked the scene in front. '140k, so much for speed limiting to 100, crooked bastard'. The half smile almost reached his lips. It never got near his eyes. He gazed indifferently down the road in front and nodded to himself. The single figure wavered alone in the centre of the bitumen strip. Another few seconds.

The wet thud just carried into the cabin. Driver scrupulously stared away into the bush. The two hard-cases just watched with bored expressions.

The truck slowed and pulled off a few hundred metres along and Jake hopped down with that effortless grace with which he did everything. A short whistle pulled Drivers gaze back to the ute and the hard-cases indicated the back as they jumped in themselves. Whoever was driving pulled out and cruised down the road, stopping alongside the Kenworth. Jake nodded again as Driver climbed up and settled himself with a shiver. Put it in gear and drove slowly away. He was passed a moment later by the Ute which tooted twice and then accelerated and slowly disappeared. He could make out the three languid figures in the back.

Driver pulled over a moment later, jumped down and lurched to the roadside. He gagged twice and then threw up with a coughing groan. Wiped his mouth and chin and using a knuckle to each, blew and cleared his nostrils. Took a deep ragged breath and climbed back up. After another few minutes when the shivers had subsided he put the truck in gear and drove away. The first chance he got was a coffee stop and a pressure hose wash, in that order.

It took another five minutes before the night sounds returned and the first tentative creature sniffed out whatever the predators had left.

************************************

Two weeks later they were doing an open air show to several hundred when Blue appeared beside the stage. He was helped by the silver haired guy that had almost certainly saved his life. Other than the moniker Patch his name was Steve. Both women gave him, almost, as big a hug as Nic got. He was not unappreciative.

After they ran through the set and had done an encore of covers and then, 'Missing the Feeling' Jess nodded to Chris to take the mic. She vocally stumbled, cleared her throat and then..." A few weeks back the guy that does our sound was shot. Many years ago a guitar hero of mine was shot in the throat, as was Nic. He almost died and came close to losing his playing ability. But he recovered and still makes great music. Nic, our friend, is also recovering and we thank god or whoever. This song was written by that guitarist, Larry Carlton, it's called 'Emotions Wound us So' and this is for Nic, better known to his friends as Blue."

They both pushed the mics away. This was instrument only, no vocal distractions. Jess tinkled the open arpeggios for the lead in as Chris wrapped her right pinky around the volume knob of her Tele. She closed her eyes and let the feeling guide her. Gently rolled and returned the volume knob to approximate the swells and peaks that 'Larry' achieved via a volume pedal. For the next six minutes Chris was lost in the emotion and feeling of the piece as Jess provided the back ground counterpoint. She squeezed and plucked the notes to wring every last tinge of emotion as she tried to reach the ideal that forever remained just beyond... with the last wavering bent note she turned and stared straight into Jess' eyes. They like her own were filled with incipient tears and held far more than could be said in public. Jess flicked a hand to the tech and the lights dropped as though a sudden sunset had struck. Silence was momentary as a roar of approval swept the stage. The two women met mid stage, in darkness, and hugged as though they were entirely alone. Blue smiled from side stage with 'almost' tears running down his face.

- The End -

*

Charts — Rough song outlines with tempo, key, chords and breaks marked. Not as detailed as a manuscript. Sort of muso shorthand.

Clocked — recognised.

Newport — a suburb on the northern beaches of Sydney as are Dee Why and Manly. 'The Sands' is a hotel at Narrabeen (between Newport and Dee Why), once known as 'The Royal Antler' an old stamping ground for Midnight Oil and INXS among others. Coogee is Eastern(city-side) beachfront. Glenorie is outer Nth west.

Yarra Valley — A wine region in central Victoria noted for cool climate wines. The Yarra is a river that wends its way south to the sea at the Victorian capitol, Melbourne.

EQ — Short for equalisation. The knobs on a mixing panel for setting the boost or cut within a defined frequency band range. Low (Bass), Middle and High (Treble). Each is twisted to sweep through the frequency range, boosting or cutting as desired. A good ear and a pinch of magic is desirable here.

D.I. — Direct Input, from instrument or amplifier to the mixing console.

For those interested the 'Home Studio' used by Jess and Chris to record "Jessica Wilson —Keep it Simple :: was A Mackie 16 Channel console and Yamaha 200W power amplifier. Bose 802 speakers, oldies but goodies. TC Electronic Graphic EQ, DBX compressor/limiter, Lexicon reverb and Digital Delay into a Sony Vaio running WinXP Pro using cubase software (Pro Tools is an alternative and possibly more popular).
Mics — Vocal Sennheiser MD431's (sponsor supplied), AKG 460's for the acoustic guitars, Shure SM57's for the amps and PA, AKG C3000's for the ambience
Instruments —
Chris - '64 Telecaster and Gilet custom acoustic. Rivera R55-112 Amp and a 'relatively ancient' Boss pedal-board inherited from 'her' brother.
Pedals(left to right), GE7(graphic), DD-3(Delay), Bluesdriver(Distortion), CE2(Chorus), CS2(compression/Sustain),Power supply and tuner.
Jess - Yamaha CP300 keyboard and G100 Amplifier. Taylor 812CE Grand Concert guitar (all sponsor supplied)
D A'ddario custom light and XL 110 guitar strings

All listed equipment is quality and professional. Often a case of what the user/operator is familiar with and readily available (or perhaps sponsor supplied) rather than what might be the latest and greatest. It's all subjective after all. So so, can sound brilliant when used with skill, feel and emotion. Music is often the same. One gals aria is another's guitar break.
With love
Kristina

Any thoughts or comments I can be contacted - [email protected] Anything short of abuse welcome.

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Brava!!

I must say "Blues for C" parts 1 and 2 don't disappoint in the least. This is one of my favorite genre's of TG fiction(the TG rock and roller), and these stories compare favorably with JulieO's "Band of Sisters", Bob Arnold's "Before my Time" and Melanie Brown's "I'm with the Band".

This differs however again by the emotional depth you give each character, and the interplay between the characters. I love how you keep us guessing as to where Jess and Chris's relationship might go. For now, it looks like a very close friendship, but who knows?

And I love the character of Blue. Though it's been done a lot in fiction, the Ex-Biker with a heart of gold never seems to get stale. However, I think you even take it further and bring out the reasons of why he quit being a biker, while even keeping his connections to his old life intact. The fact that he has his head on straight, and kept Jess's in line, also makes him appealing. He's almost the perfect 'big brother' or even 'father' figure, something both Jess and Chris need.

Seeing Weasel get his, while doing it as cleverly as you did(it could've been more violent, not not nearly as satisfying) only adds to the 'right' feeling of this story.

So again, I say "Brava" and keep it up. Thanks for writing all these wonderful tales for us.

Norwalker.

wow

Really nice story, very well written. I'm amazed at the music/musician references... I can't believe a non-musician could know such things as were remarked on such as the band's lead player overplaying, so common among lead players but non-musicians wouldn't notice, and not being able to get the exact nuances right on someone else's equipment, so I think Kristina is an experienced musician or has been verrrry close to one. I have known some musicians who weren't aware of as much, lol. Also the Triumph comments about crap wiring, true again lol. I've ridden bikes since age 12, all the Japanese ones and BSA's, Triumph's, Harley. I've been a full-time professional musician all my life since High School, have played with many famous names you'd recognize, and have been TG (I guess that's the PC term now, eh? haha) since earliest memory, so I enjoy stories such as this. One of the characters even has my old nickname, and my favorite guitar is also an old Telecaster and I also use old Boss pedals, even the same D'Addario strings....You don't know me, do you? haha....Thank you Kristina, I'm looking forward to more, and I'd love to hear some of your music if you have any on the web or mp3's you could email to me. If you're not a musician, you are a genius to have written this with so much accurate detail, and I'm actually pretty sure you are a musician, yes? :) Thanks for taking time to write this, keep up the good work.

Missed this one way back, Kristina, glad I found it

Always intended to read this one as I like your *atmospheric* writing, if that's the phrase to use. You set a scene about as well as any I’ve read here though your stories so often have a melancholy emotion to them. The pain of your characters and their struggles to survive, to find their way is almost too intense at times for me.

You sure don’t specialize in conventional love affairs but I’ll say it now, you are possibly the most romantic writer here. Have a tinnie of your favorite for me. Um, beer comes in a tinnie right? Or wine if you are so inclined. Or chocolate milk and double stuff Oreos, whatever.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

wow indeed

kristina l s's picture

It always surprises me when I get a comment on an older story, delights me too. Like I said at the start of this one, it is somewhat autobiographical, I played semi professionally from the very late 80's to the mid 90's. The gear described as Chris' is mine, two guitars, pedals and amp sit within arms length of where I sit. Haven't played much at all for several years, but I still have the gear so when as I did the other day, I break a couple of nails, well I trimmed them back and pulled out the acoustic. There is no music out there as such, but hey, ya never know. Thanks for reading and especially commenting.

Kristina

Why thankee sir

kristina l s's picture

That's me a hopeless romantic, but don't tell anyone huh. Beer in tinnies? You betcha, but I've got a chicken Thai style green curry on the stove so a glass of verdelho on this occasion. Thanks for the comment John.

Kristina

you'll make me blush

kristina l s's picture

It is wonderful though to get such lovely comments on older stories, it's been a while. I do always try for the emotion blended with I guess how I see certain things from the 'peoples' eyes. The biker shoot out was based on a real event that occurred while I was in high school in the early eighties. Some people I've met and mixed the impressions, some is just me.

Thanks for the favourable comparison to some other great stories too

a slightly chuffed feeling, smiling and blushing...

Kristina

Nicely done Kristina

I really think that the greasy slime-ball that shot Blue should have met a slower more painful death.

I hope that it ended up for Chrissie and Jess as a "Happy ever after" as I think the world needs more of that.

Another fine story. Keep up the good work.

Nick

I really love your style!

You handle words so well! You evoke moods and situations like a pro, and your people come alive and make themselves at home in my heart. *soft hugs* Terrific work, Kristina. Great story, great people, from a great writer.

Keep 'em coming, hon! *smile*

Randalynn

who me..

kristina l s's picture
Wow Randa you make me blush. Not sure I fully deserve that..but I do appreciate it, thank you. Nick - well..I could have gotten nastier, but... it seemed apt. As for happy ever after...all things are possible, so... But then, maybe other possibilities... Kristina

Just truth, Kristina

You really have a gift, and I'm happy to see you using it. *smiles, hugs* So ... PLEASE don't stop!

Randalynn

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research." -- Albert Einstein

Nice Kristina!

This is a nicely done story, Chris's "coming out" to Jess is very well told, bless Jess for being so accepting. I have to wonder though, as special as the relationship seems between Jess and Chris, maybe down the road something might happen between Blue and Chris.

Thanks!
Karen J.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Great Story

There is nothing more spiritually satisfying than two people playing music as one. I think you've captured that feeling well here.

The closest thing to a nitpick I have is that Paul was the vocal on Oh Darlin', not John. Call me obsessive :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Very nicely done ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... and I do so love a happy ending; I second Nick in hoping that there is a "happily ever after" for Jess and Chrissy. Unfortunately the "Unhappies" have done their work and I read this with a feeling of dread hanging over me, hoping that there would not be that abrupt switch from life to death for characters who I had come to care for. Thankfully it didn't happen.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Blues for C Pt 2

Well that's another 'couldn't stop reading it' from you Kristina. If you think we are going to let you off with saying that's the end of these brilliant characters you've created you're wrong.
I will start a petition if necessary demanding part 3; take that as a threat:-)))
One thing I have to do is not read the comments before the story; they can be spoilers.
Start writing!
Anne

glad you liked it

kristina l s's picture
Thank you all for the comments..always appreciated. Karen - as I said to Nick...'other possibilities'...who knows? Jillian - Oops..You're right. The few times I heard the original it always struck me as a more 'Johnish' vocal. So I assumed. And we all know... Jezzi - call me a romantic fool but I couldn't do it. Originally.... Anne - well, cajoling...a bit of bribery... But I think I'll leave these guys in peace now. Don't want to be accused of stalking. Besides they might sick Jake on me...wouldn't fancy that! love Kristina

Blues for c2

I have very much enjoyed the two parts of this story so far you have done a wonderful job of building the story and the people in it I do so hope that you will do much more with these well formed people that you made I like Nic . jess and chris/christine please do more
what a nice ,warm ,kind love story. I wish I could people like them around where I live the world would be better ..

christi

acceptance is a start

kristina l s's picture
Christi, I certainly cannot argue that one, it is all too true. I am glad you enjoyed the story. I think that is where it will stay... but never say never. Someone said that. Again, I can't disagree so, you never know. Be well. Kristina

Very Nice

Kristina,

The development of the characters and the relationship were very well done. It gives all of us hope that a special relationship and acceptance is out there waiting to be found.

I enjoyed it very much.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

thanks Dru

kristina l s's picture
It is not all sweetness and light, but hopefully shows that just maybe..whichever way you lean there might be someone. Kristina

Never a Wrong Note

Dear Kristina,

I can only echo Randalynn in praising the way you handle words, breathing life into your characters, moods and situations.

I think that like all good craftsmen you have an empathy with the tools, in your case the language, you use. Something that incidentally I also believe Randalynn has.

I remember once reading somewhere that Alexander Pope, or it may have been Addison, or perhaps Steele or ....? Well someone said that a perfectly dressed man was one who when he entered a room no-one noticed, he being so impeccably attired for what ever the situation. In the same way your writing is almost invisible it so perfectly serves the tale you tell.

Hugs,

Fleurie

P.S. On re-reading the above it sounds as if I might be less than enthusiastic about the story itself. If that be the impression given it is just another example of how words can let one down, because I think it is great!

Fleurie

words is just..

kristina l s's picture
..well suffice to say I think you do more than Ok with them yourself Fleurie. I am glad you enjoyed it. Just one thing..almost invisible..Does that mean I'm in danger of dissappearing up my own...oops I'm blushing again. seriously..Thanks Kristina ps that's Craftswoman dear..*sniff*..well, almost *grin*.

To ess or not to ess .....

.....that is the question.

Kristina - Don't get me going on being politically correct! Or any other form of 'correct' for that matter.

I will admit, with suitably bad grace, that I erred in writing craftsmen instead of craftwomen. But only if people start using, indeed describing themselves as, authresses and actresses instead of authors and actors. When appropriate of course. :) I haven't seen the female version of these two words in print for years. What has happened to them? Maybe they are still current in the States. In which case my felicitations.

Here they are quite extinct, and I personally mourn them.

In this vein may I enquire if it would be correct to describe the orifice to which you so discretely referred as providing a roseate refuge from the harsh glare of praise as an arsess?

Fleurie

Fleurie

Blue C2

I have a greatly reduced ability to enjoy the musical references here, because of deafness, but my eyes rejoice in the wonderful characters your words bring to my mind's eye.
Hugs!
grover

humble-ess

kristina l s's picture
Ah Fleurie by all means add an ess if you wish. I could have said crafsperson... but then I'd have to throw myself off a tall building. Actress does on occassion pop up here, but it's not common. Sigh. Grover - I cannot imagine being deaf or blind. Those senses we take so much for granted unless some 'disaster' robs us. I am glad you can read and enjoy but it makes me sad that you can't hear well enough to truly enjoy music. I truly hope the characters 'said' enough Kristina