The Summer of Love of Linda Piontak Part 6

Printer-friendly version
The Summer of Love
of Linda Piontak

Part Six - Duet
 by Andrea Lena DiMaggio

Free the dream within
The stars are crying a tear
A sigh escapes from heaven
And the world's end

Breathe the dream within
The mystifying
We tremble and spin
Suspended within

 


Previously...

“You have to know that you’re just fine the way you are; there is nothing wrong with you, despite anything you’ve ever heard or even told yourself. And I ought to know how it feels to be on the wrong side of that, right?” She smiled and nodded not really knowing why as the tears still came.

“Your boyfriend left you because he couldn’t handle your heart, dear.” Linda winced until she heard her next words,

“Just being you made it difficult for him to face himself. He’s got to find himself, and it can’t be with you; you’ve already realized that, and it hurts, but it’s not you, honey, no matter what.” She was right, of course.

“Listen, you’re not the first trans-woman to go through this, and you certainly won’t be the last.” Linda was startled to the point of nearly spilling her soup. Annette grabbed her free hand and held it.

“I’m sorry, honey, but you needed another friend; someone who understands what you’re going through.”

“How...what...Annette...I told that to you in confidence....” She tried to protest, but something seemed oddly good...even right about Bernice and Dave knowing her secret. She looked over at them and Dave smiled.

“Linda Piontak, you’ve met my sister Bernice....meet the former Angelo Seraphino Crocetti.”

He laughed softly at the clever turn of phrase until he noticed that Annette held Linda in her arms once again as the girl had fainted.


Somewhere in time....

Look beyond where hearts can see
Dream in peace
Trust, love, believe

We tremble and spin
Suspended within

Linda sat at the piano bench, her hands poised to play. Tony got up from the bench and walked around and leaned softly on her shoulder, kissing her right cheek.

“I’ll always love you....”

The soft touch on her shoulder eased as Tony disappeared. Linda looked around to see that she was in a field on a hill overlooking an array of flowers that covered hillside which led away to a beach which in turn led to the ocean. She heard the sound of seagulls filled and the hint of salt filled her nostrils with its welcome aroma.

“’Claire de Lune’, ma fille?”

The man sat beside her, rubbing her right shoulder. She looked into her father’s smiling face and breathed deep, his strong scent of cologne mixed with the salt air.

“Oui, mon pere,” Linda said playfully. She placed her left hand on the keyboard. Her eyes fluttered as she gave out a deep sigh. Had she looked over, she would have seen her father’ eyes close softly, the same deep sigh coming from his mouth. The lovely strains of Debussy came but quickly faded away as she heard her name being called....

Linda's apartment....

"Linda, hon? Are you alright?" Once again, Linda came slowing out of an odd dream to see someone ... Bernice...looking down at her.

"I'mm....I'm okay." She sat up quickly but lost her balance and slumped against the arm of the couch.

"Whoa....easy does it, kiddo," Annette said with a smile. She grabbed Linda's hand and patted it softly.

"What happened?" Linda looked around, dazed.

"I just finished introducing you to my former brother, dear." Dave pointed to Bernice, who had sat down across from Linda and Annette. Dave walked behind Bernice and started rubbing her shoulders.

"She can tell it better than I can, right, Sis?" Bernice nodded and began.

"Mom and Dad were so supportive. I had my surgery after I'd just turned twenty; in fact it was in Montreal...the place to go, huh? Mom is Canadian; my uncle Dave is a surgeon, and worked it out for me." Linda nodded.

"I had all that support, and there still are days when I have doubts...I think we all do, you know? I have a friend in Connecticut who still struggles with it nearly every day; she's the sweetest woman you'd ever want to meet, but her family couldn't accept what she'd done, and they love her as much as anyone can who doesn't understand." Linda shook her head and put it down.

"You blame yourself for your boyfriend...like it's your fault for not being complete, like somehow you got up one day and decided to deceive him."

"He wants kids....I can't give them to him." Linda's lip quivered.

"It's more than that, hon. You want kids, maybe as much as you've ever wanted anything, right? It's in us...built in; because we're women...we want to be mothers. And we can, but not in the way everybody thinks." Linda began to tear, mirroring Bernice.

"You have so much love in you, Linda." Annette patted her hand once again. "So much love for everyone, but not enough, maybe even none for yourself."

"I tried so hard to make him happy. And it wasn't enough...." Linda's voice trailed off as she looked down at her body.

"I'll never be enough...." She kept shaking her head as if to convince herself of the truth of her misperception.

"That's what I tell myself maybe every other month? Some days are better than others. I think the more support you have the better it gets, but only you can tell yourself the truth, hon."

"I'd be willing to bet you even feel guilty about feeling bad....like you owe it to someone to be brave...you're almost twenty yourself and you figure you should grow up, right?" Linda shrugged her shoulders and nodded.

Annette interjected,

"You're a beautiful woman who doesn't see what everybody else sees. Just like you figured out how much encouragement and love your students and friends need, someone will come along and help you realize that about yourself. How precious and special you are...how lovely a person you are."

"Tony is a great guy, but right now he's into his own issues, and he really has never been able to be that for you. Oh he loves you in his own way, but he hasn't been able to build you up, especially now when your own huge doubts and fears tear you down."

"He's really a good guy," Linda said, nodding her head, "I just wish things had worked out....It hurts so much." She put her head on Annette's shoulder. Bernice got up and stood next to her. She patted her on the back and spoke.

"Your loss can't be mixed together with everything else. It hurts, honey, but it's not because you're any less that you think you should be. If anything, you loss is because Tony isn't ready to be what he should be for you, and that's just how it is."

"I...I...know.....I just didn't think anything could ever hurt this much." Linda sobbed.

"It's okay, honey...let it out....get it all out....you're going to be just fine.....and everything is going to work out...I'm sure of it." Bernice looked at the girl and felt more confident than she would have ever expected, only just having met the girl, but something just felt good and hopeful.



Two Days later at Julliard....

“Ms. Piontak?” Linda had finished her last lesson for the afternoon, hoping to go home early. She turned and saw Nate and Cassie standing in the doorway.

“Nate...Cassie...how are things with you two?” She smiled as she noticed the pair holding hands.

“Pretty good....I wanted to thank you.” Nate beamed. Cassie squeezed his arm.

“I don’t think I would ever have appreciated my music if it weren’t for our talk. I’ve been listening to my playing like it’s a conversation with the piano, like we said?”

“He even puts his head on the piano sometimes while he plays.” Callie smiled and rubbed his arm.

“And I think I’m finally figuring it out with the rest of my life....like I finally know what it is to serve rather than expect to be served all the time, ya know?”

Linda nodded and smiled broadly.

“I don’t know if I’d even still be in school if it weren’t for you, Ms. Piontak. Thanks.” The two leaned closer and hugged Linda before Nate finally said,

“It’s like you helped me realize what’s really important. Thank you so much!” The two walked away and Linda picked up her briefcase. She walked down the hallway, and her step seemed to be a bit bouncier than usual.

“Linda?” Another familiar voice called her from behind. She turned to see Annette walking quickly toward her.

“Hi...what’s up?” She cut the distance between them in half as she walked toward her friend.

“You have time to talk?” Linda nodded as the two walked toward the office.

“I’ve a huge favor to ask. Now before you answer, you need to know that I don’t want you to feel obligated...okay?” Annette smiled.

“For you, anything, my dear.” Linda laughed softly.

“You know the benefit concert the students are putting on for Melanie and Carmine? They’ve asked the faculty to participate.” Their daughter was okay, but the added doctor bills from the unanticipated surgery had put them back severely. The students were going to pay the expenses of the concert themselves and turn the proceeds over to the couple.

“I’d be happy to play, dear, but I’m nowhere near what these kids are.” She smiled and almost automatically looked down at the floor, feeling unworthy.

“Well, that’s only part of my request, and you’re so much better than you think....I don’t know anyone who plays with as much feeling as you do. But I have something else I need help with.” Now it was Annette’s turn to look down.

“I told you anything; please....whatever you want.” She put her hand on Annette’s left shoulder.

“I need some help, and only you can help me. I want to play for the concert.... Melanie and Carmine have been my friends for such a long time, and I feel like it’s something I don’t just want to do; I need to feel a part of it.” Linda nodded, wondering where Annette was going with it until she noticed her friend looking at her left hand.

“You play left and I play right, you know?” She said it as if it were something that was done all the time. Her smile exuded confidence that it would not only work, but it just might be something special; it certainly was special enough for Linda to say,

“I’d be honored. What do you want to play? Beethoven? Prokofiev? I’ve heard the recording of your Moonlight Sonata...what would you like?”

“I was thinking of Claire de Lune?”


After a few rough patches the first six times through, the duo seemed to come together when Linda suggested that they move closer together on the piano bench. Annette shied away at first as Linda put her right arm around Annette’s waist, pulling the two closer.

“Feels like a three legged race,” Annette joked nervously. The two looked at each other as if to say, “Here goes nothing,” but the results were truly something special. Each time through seemed to be better than the time before until it was as if the two had melded together to become one. It was something so wonderful; you might almost have anticipated what happened next.

“This is so much fun, kiddo.” Annette said, unknowingly once again using the same pet name Linda’s father had used when she was little. Linda turned and smiled and noticed a look on Annette’s face that even may have caught Annette unawares.

“Annette? What’s wrong?” Linda frowned as if she had done something, but Annette shook her head.

“No, honey...I’m sorry...you didn’t do anything wrong. It’s just that when I got back from Iraq I thought I had lost my music forever...and you just gave it back to me...This is the best day of my life, and I’m just...so happy.”

She put her hand to her face and began to cry softly at first, then weeping in sheer joy. Linda embraced her friend, wanting to comfort her and feel close. And it happened.

“I’m so happy for you...you deserve the best...I’ve been hoping and praying that something would bring you a blessing...I couldn’t dream I’d be part of it.”

Linda began to cry, mostly from her own healing but also from the privilege she felt in knowing such a precious friend. She kissed Annette on the cheek. Annette turned to her.

“I....I have to go....please let go of me.” Tears streamed down Annette’s cheeks, falling onto the keyboard and her hand. Her voice was nervous, but she wasn’t angry or upset; she seemed fearful in fact.

“What’s wrong? What have I done?” Linda continued to hold her friend close even as she felt Annette pull against her embrace.

“Nothing....you haven’t done anything wrong...I have.”

Annette shook her head even as Linda put her hand to her friend’s face.

“What could you possibly have done? You’re the best friend anyone could ever have. You’ve been like a sister to me.” Annette winced at the word, ‘sister.”

“No...I’ve....we can’t...I need to go.”

By now, Annette was weeping, pulling against her friend’s embrace even as she welcomed it. She turned and faced Linda and the look in her eyes was something Linda had never seen before, at least with someone else; a look of pain mixed with gladness, as if she was being flooded with more conflict than a human being should endure. The look that says, “I don’t deserve to be happy, can’t you see that?” The same look that Linda saw when she viewed her own reflection in the mirror.

“No...don’t go...stay...it’s okay.” Linda said to Annette as she kissed her cheek again; a sisterly kiss meant to console and show acceptance, but she could never have anticipated what happened next. Instead of continuing to struggle, it was as if Annette all at once agreed suddenly with what she had been telling Linda all along for herself; that she was worthy of love.

She leaned closer and kissed her; tentatively at first, as if she feared Linda would bolt from their embrace. Her lips brushed softly against Linda’s, sending a shudder down Linda’s back. Almost instantly, Linda found herself kissing back. She kissed the corner of Annette’s mouth, lingering and savoring the tears that had collected there. The salt was mixed with the taste of Annette’s lipstick, and it was likely the sweetest taste that Linda had ever experienced. She continued to kiss Annette, who took her hand and pushed it through Linda’s hair.

“I’m so sorry....” Linda began to sob....

“I never meant to....I’m so sorry...” She tried to stop, but she kept kissing Annette even as her apologies grew quiet. Both protested but both failed to convince each other and they continued to kiss until Annette pulled away suddenly. She stood up and turned to leave, but felt Linda’s hand on her skirt.

“Please...I’m so sorry....don’t go...I’m sorry.”

“I have to...I’m sorry too.” Linda sat helpless as Annette walked quickly through the door and was gone.


That Evening at Linda's apartment....

“Daddy...what did I do? She’s my best friend and I ruined it all...I took something she can never... something she needed so badly and I made it my own.” Linda held the picture; her father’s smiling face looking on with his constant approval. She wanted to argue against that look but found herself more confused than ever until she heard his voice in her heart once again.

“Lee, It’s okay...don’t worry.”

She couldn’t even remember what he was trying to soothe; what pain he wanted to heal, but the words crossed years once again as she recalled the soft touch of his hand against her face, drying her tears.

“Whom did you want to please, Lee?”

She thought for a moment and a smile began to break across her face even as the tears still fell. She had wanted only the best for Annette. Her father’s touch spanned time as the pat on her back made her consider that maybe it was she who was best for Annette. She sighed, believing herself to be wrong once again. The phone rang. She picked it up quickly, failing to look at the caller ID, hoping to hear from her friend.

“Annette?” She said softly. A brief silence was quickly followed by an unfamiliar voice.

“Hello, Is this Linda Piontak?”

“Yes,” Linda said as she wiped her face with her sleeve. “Who is this?”

“Hello...You don’t know me. My name is Astrid Menendez.....” Her voice trailed off and Linda shuddered at the familiar last name, her worst fears confirmed a second later.

“I’m Tony’s wife....we have to talk.”

Look beyond where hearts can see
Dream in peace
Trust, love, believe

We tremble and spin
Suspended within

Free the dream within
The stars are crying a tear
A sigh escapes from heaven
And the world's end

Next: Answers and Questions

The Dream Within
From the movie
Final Fantasy:
The Spirits Within
Words and music by
Elliot Goldenthal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6sIWwEBsLQ

"Claire de lune"
(Moonlight),
third movement of Suite Bergamasque

by Claude Debussy,
a piano depiction of
a Paul Verlaine poem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh! - My! - God!

littlerocksilver's picture

This was certainly not expected. What in the world has been going on?

Portia

Portia

I did not expect

ALISON

'the unexpected! We will just have to wait and see what other little surprises you have for us 'Drea.
What a turn up? Tony really has his undies in a knot now,I guess,or has realized how stupid he has been.

ALISON

Hi Gram...Isn't this GREAT???!!!

Sweet Drea...

You couldn't have written this any more...elegantly than you did! Everything fits and the match is perfect. You've done it again. Brava!!!!!!

Brat

The Summer of Love of Linda Piontak Part 6

Annette feels guilty for loving Linda. That is why she is distraught.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not quite...

Andrea Lena's picture

....she does feel a bit of guilt, but not because of her love for Linda. She does, however, feel guilt in a manner of speaking for being loved. And she also feels unworthy of Linda's love as well, which nearly is the duplicate of how Linda views herself, as the story shows. Thanks for reading.



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Linda and Annette are so sweet & Tony is an as* IMHO

The big Q's are, what will come of Linda and Annette's friendship? A close sister like relationship or lovers? They are both wounded, both incomplete in their own ways but together they are complete musically and maybe ,more.

As to Tony the jerk, were they engaged already or having sex that day he brought the tour group over to "go out" when she expected a quiet meal? I vaguely remember him telling the tall girl he didn't want to hurt Linda but THAT line seems BS to me.

Why did MRS Tony call her now AFTER a wedding and not before?

If it's a family thing, an arranged marriage or they were old flames who met again, okay but if they met AFTER he knew Linda he is a as* of epic proportions. Even this wife of his was upset he never told Linda earlier so she seems okay.

Why is it after seeing the violist/conductor with the missing fingers and Annette with her missing arm I want Tony to have a car accident and have his hands crushed or maimed, a leg or three missing or paralyzed, blind?

Ghods I have a vindictive streak but dang it these characters are so real..

Very good.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

tony's wife?

“I’m Tony’s wife....we have to talk.” wow. i cant even imagine what is going to happen next.

DogSig.png

One You Haven't Used

joannebarbarella's picture

Not that soggy Kleenex, because it's the last one in the box and you can't throw it away.

No!

Song titles that fit the emotional parameters of this story. You're missing the most obvious (maybe because you're subtle!)

"Cry Me A River".

Joanne

P.S. Why are so few people reading this beautiful story????

Friends and Lovers and other Strangers...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Who are all these people? Linda needs and deserves love yet it seems everyone withholds it. Even she withholds it from others. And now... Tony's wife... Good Grief!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!