Technical and Historical Differences for Earth-4(Lost Love)

Printer-friendly version

Earth4 Technological and Historical Differences:

This earth is +500

Timeline of significant events after 2010:
2014: Research into the human mind for cybernetic implants discoveres a nexus of neurons which is later named coloquially the Psi nexus. It is proven that the activity in this region is directly linked to Psi capability.

2030: The first Psi studies degree offered at Harvard. This degree has been offered at smaller online colleges for over 11 years.

2093: Cooperative research project between major universities begins to try to determine the genetic source of Psi capability.

2098: Research ends on Psi capability due to loss of funding and conflicting genetic findings.

2110: Voluntary registration as Psi capable on the US census begins. An estimated 20% of all Psi capable people registered.

2130: Psi registration peaks at an estimated 60% of all Psi capable individuals.

2158: "The Origin of the Soul" published by pop-psychologist Thomas Traveller

2160: Tomas Traveller has his certification revoked and barred from practicing.

2164: Supreme court appeal by Thomas Traveller fails. From the majority opinion, "there is no concrete proof of alternate realities."

2175: The Standardized Psionic Capability Test, or SPC, developed. Psi is classified into 5 categories.

2192: Incontrivertible evidence of alternate dimensions discovered in the form of inter-dimensional radio waves. Points of radio wave generation ploted to map points. Ley-nexus revived as term to identify them, even thogh less than 1% fall on so called Ley-lines.

2199: Kyle Longtree, a Class IV psi, invents a device he calls the Psi Lance. Patent submitted.

2201: While camping on antelope island, Kyle Longtree tests his Psi Lance. The first incursion emerges from a previously unknown Ley-nexus there. Kyle calls in the press, both to see the creatures, and proove the feasibilty of his Psi Lance as a weapon.

2203: Kyle Longtree incarcerated for unlawful discharge of a proscribed weapon.

2204: Psi Edict signed into US law.

2210: Psi Edict ratified by the UN ruling council.

2214: Kyle Longtree released from prison.

2215: Kyle Longtree inducted into the new Sanitarium program.

2251: First Sanitarium 'graduates'. Loss of 60% of Psi capable individuals estimated. Kyle Longtree among the dead.

2264: First Level one incursion. This occurs at the Paris, France Psi ley-nexus. The nexus is 300 feet from the former location of the Arc de Triumph. Paris written off as a complete loss. 1.8 million people dead.

2310: First Level two incursion. This occurs on the slopes of Mt Everest. Half of the invading force fals to the valley below. It takes almost a week to completely erradicate the incursion due to its scattered nature.

2418: The first, and currently only, Level three incursion. It is also the first sure evidence that this war is directed by intelligence on the other side. The Original command center is attacked by an estimated 4 million creatures. All was lost until Corporal Alice Evans shifted from Class I to Null Class. The force of the blast focused through her Psi Lance vaporized everything for a six mile radius. NORAD completely destroyed, as well as the remnants of the Psi Legion still on the field. Null Class, only achievable by telekinetics to date, deemed a threat to society.

2504: Current date.

Six Classifications of Psi:
Class I: Approximately 1 in every 6,000,000 individuals has this level. 1 in 100 are TKs. Highest registered level of psi ability. Typified by multi use abilities. Walker, Queen and Journey are examples of this level.
Class II: Approximately 1 in every 100,000 individuals has this level. Not weak, but lacks a certain versatility of use. Pedant, Underseer and Lacey are in this category.
Class III: Approximately 1 in every 200 individuals has this level. Typified by Class I powers, but without the energy reserves to make them versatile. Keeper is an example of this category.
Class IV: Approximately 1 in every 50 individuals has this level. Telepaths, Empaths, and weaker versions of other abilities show up here.
Class V: Approximately 1 in every 2 individuals has this level. Those will little psi power, and no discernible abilities.
Null Class: Only 1 in 3 TKs can achieve this level. Power reserves cease to be an issue. Exact knowledge of what powers these individuals in unknown, but the Psi Lance can no longer contain blasts created by them.

Books:
The Origin of the Soul: Book written by Thomas Traveller. It postulates that the human soul is a construct so vast that upon it's creation, it spreads itself between dimensions. Evedence of this can be be seen in twins that act the same over great distances, even when they have never met. He states that this is a "single dimensional duality of soul" (Traveller, pg 106, 2158). He postulates this soul splitting as one reason for "the Transgendered individual" (Traveller, pg 292, 2158)

Technology:
TranSteel(tm): A preparation of steel plates that allow for the passage of photons in one or two directions when subjected to an electric current.

Psi Lance: Focuses the thoughts of a Psi capable individual into a coherent beam of psychic energy. Class V don't generate enough energy for it to be lethal, and a Null Class generates too much

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Null versus Class I

Null category is beyond their capability to register.

Most Class I abilities uses about 1 kj per minute or about 1/4 kcal (Daily Value numbers are in kcals). The average Class I has a reserve of about 10-12 kj that they can tap into.

Jamie (Journey) is actually a special case. She has a Class I energy reserve, but her power feeds off the Psi energy of both ends of the conduit. The greater the discrepancy in energy from one side to the other, the faster more powerful side is drained. When she tries to make a single sided bridge (punch through) it is infinite difference (division by zero) and drains her as fast as the energy can possibly be drained (could use up her full reserve in about 2-3 seconds).

A Null Class is in essence tapping into all of their alternates in "range". Most would have an energy reserve between 1000 and 5000 kj. Some could possibly have reserves much greater, and it is theorized that Corporal Evans had a reserve in excess of 10 Tj (Tera joules).

So, most Class Is couldn't stand up to a Null toe to toe.

Journey could rip them apart and drain them dry.

The Psi Lance runs on 0.1% of the total energy reserve of the individual using it.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Questions

Was there a testing on Psi Lances to see if it was possible to destroy something/someone with repeated blasts of Psi V's? What was the effect of those?

What is a 'graduation'? Is it a situation that Queen and the others are now making - a mass breakout that is contained immediately or shortly afterwards?

What is the current population of Earth4? I'm asking because the overpopulation is a common scare, and because an estimate of maximum sustainable population is 14 billion people worldwide. And with that in mind - there are, at most, supposed to be seven Null Class Psis - if they are not culled.

Was there even a single attempt to improve on the Psi Lance after the inventor was disposed of so nonchalantly?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Think of it in terms of

Think of it in terms of caliber on a gun:
Class V = pellet gun
Class VI = .45
Class III = .50
Class II = Shotgun Slug
Class I = 16 MM

Ballistic characteristics of the shots are not similar to guns, just the relative impact force. Range and accuracy on all of these are about the same.

If enough Class V focused on a single spot, it is possible to do damage. It would just take a lot of them, and they would have to be pinpoint accurate.

As far as how many people can be supported on earth, it depends on whether you are going with UN reports, or actual scientific projections of the possible:

1) You can fit 1 million people, relatively comfortably (1000sq ft per family), per 15 floors per sq mile. This would allow almost 1 billion people in NY alone
2) US farmers, some of the more efficient in the world, are paid not to grow crops as it would drive prices down due to overabundance.
3) Maximum sustainable population given by the UN in the 70s was less than the current world population.

That all being said, the population of Earth4 has been stagnant for a while now, and is only 20 billion.

The Psi lance is exactly the same as originally developed. Kyle was a telemechanic or Technokinetic. This is basically an intuitive understanding of electronics and technology. The Psi lance they are currently using is a copy of a prototype. Any "improvements" they try to make cause it not to work. Also, they haven't ever found another telemechanic.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Okay, but that still does not exactly answer my question...

About the effectiveness of the Psi Lances of Psi V's. What I asked was not about how would several attacking at a single target affect it - that is easily imaginable like focusing sunrays via lenses.

What I asked for, is what is the amount of effect a Psi V attack would do generally in a single shot(like - a dent in a car, scratch the paint of the car - or on the monsters - temporary stun, daze, slowing down, this kind of thing), and if attacking the target by the same attacker, time and time again (Like, is it possible to achieve a one on one combat win aganist a monster by badgering it over and over).

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Sorry

I tend to think technically.

The Psi bolt that is fired does damage to the nervous system directly. Repeated shots by a single V would be able to eventually either send the opponent into a pain fueled rage, or leave it whimpering on the floor.

Shots to the head/torso could lead to incapacitation and even death.

It would take a lot of shots, but is possible, yes



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Level V Psi bolts

I think I get these every day.

It leaves me screaming with rage and whimpering on the floor.
Did you say 1 in 2 of the population are Level V?

That figures.

XX
AD