Technical and Historical Differences for Earth-1(Avalon)

Printer-friendly version

Earth1 Technological and Historical Differences:

This earth is considered to be -20 years. IE: WWII started in about 1936 in our world, but 1954 in Earth1

Named Avalon due to the Jamie1' preoccupation with Arthur and the knights of the round.

Home computers: They haven't yet become widespread. They are a bit further behind than their late 80's equivalent should put them.

Earth1 advanced technologies:
--Multi-Spectrum Photography: Using the particular properties of certain narrow wavelengths of light they are able to collect forensic evidence. Multi-Spectrum film is used that is set to respond to certain light wavelengths. Each exposure on the film follows a specific pattern which the flash is tied to as well. Can be used to photographically prove age and authenticity of bruising, among other things.

--Parapsychology: Partially due to the advent of Multi-spectrum photography they have photographic evidence of certain things like ghosts and auras. It is considered a hard science.

--Magnetic Ink: Something used in Earth2 in the min 90s, Earth1 makes significant use of it in many aspects of life, including single use passes for high security offices and the Auto-dialers mentioned in the story. The weakness of the signal limits the amount of data that can be recorded, but some breakthroughs in the anti-absorptive properties of the magnetic ink will soon allow them to almost triple the data that can be recorded, increasing it to 36 bytes. Plans for cheap and easily recyclable products using this technology are already in the testing phases.

Trivia: 101 was chosen as the Morse code emergency signal due to its ease of use. Morse code is a bit different in Earth1. The code for 101 is ._._._._. (._. is 1, _._ is 0). The 2 dots between sequences denote it as a pattern and not just a repeating sequence (._._._._.._._._._.._._._._. and so on). Because it was a set of numbers, and everyone already knew it, it was adopted as the phone distress cal as well. Strangely, audio distress is still Mayday like in our world.

Child Care Division: A division of the Police that serves the same function as Social Services on our Earth, at least for children.

up
34 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos