Stark: The Best Revenge

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

It's Halloween night, six years after another Halloween went bad for three boys who didn't realize mischief carried a life sentence in skirts. Now Stark's in town, seeing if she needs to pick up the pieces and lay down some justice. But the next generation just might be a few steps ahead of her this time. Maybe ... just maybe ... she can take the night off.

Story:

Stark: The Best Revenge
by Randalynn

"No more tears now; I will think about revenge." -- Mary, Queen of Scots

"Don't get mad, get even." -- Robert F. Kennedy

Stark sat in the coffee house, nursing a grande decaf and thinking ugly thoughts about what some parents do to their kids. In the year since she started her crusade against those who would feminize innocent men and boys for their own amusement, she'd seen a lot of evil. Heck, she thought sourly, I even caused some of it, with some of the things I did in return. She didn’t want to think about the kind of monster her own deeds were turning her into, because that monster was the only thing that kept her own demons at bay. She needed her monster to keep from losing who she was -- to keep the programming from turning her into the submissive slut her dead tormentors wanted her to be, back when she was at their mercy.

Back before she killed them all.

The tabloid story Chesser and the research team dug up was pretty old, about three boys caught at the beginning of a mischief spree on Halloween night. Six years to the day, Stark thought, gazing around at the Halloween decorations on the walls of the coffee shop. As a punishment for the things they never actually got around to doing, they were forced to dress up as little girls and made to go trick-or-treating that night. According to follow-up investigations, the boys had been girls ever since -- their records changed, their former lives destroyed.

They'd be sixteen now, give or take, Jo mused, thinking of everything that must have been done to them since then. The fire inside her flared. According to the article, the boys didn't even do much damage in the first place. They were stopped practically before they started.

Stark stared down into her coffee. The parents just wanted to play some sick game with the lives of their children, and then decided to let it go on and on and on. Cruel and hateful and ... She shook her head angrily and forced her rage back. Once she stopped trembling, Jo took a sip of her coffee and thought some more. But if I go after the parents the way I want to, it's going to hurt the kids even more. They'll wind up in foster care, or worse. After what's been done to them already, is that any better?

Stark had used the Internet to contact the leader of the three boys mentioned in the article and arrange a meeting at a local java joint. She'd explained what she wanted in her e-mail, but the tone of Paula's reply seemed to suggest that the idea of Stark taking revenge for them was amusing somehow. She was still trying to puzzle out what that meant when the bell over the door rang. Stark half-turned in her seat, and froze.

"Paula?" The question just slipped out, but the girl smiled and nodded and cat walked across the room. Every male eye in the place was glued to her undulating hips, and her blonde hair tumbled down her back nearly to her waist in a flurry of large curls, swaying with every step. Her face was innocence personified, except for the dark gothic make-up that framed her blue eyes and the bright red lips that glistened in the muted overheads.

Paula slid into the booth across from her and crossed her legs at the knee. She was dressed head to foot in soft black leather. A tight leather corset put her well-rounded chest on display. She wore long opera gloves with the fingers cut out, showing her inch-long nails, polished a shining black. Her painted-on leggings hugged every curve so tightly, Stark knew she was wearing a thong underneath ... and nothing else. Her boots rose almost to her knees, with four-inch heels, and her backpack purse was big enough to be practical but small enough not to get in the way.

"Hello, Ms. Stark," she said, her voice a well-modulated contralto. "You look surprised."

"That's because I am." Stark raised her cup and looked over the rim. "And please, call me Jo. Actually, you're not quite what I expected. When the story of that Halloween years ago fell onto my desk, I thought you'd probably been put through the whole 'forced fem' thing pretty hard for a long, long time. In fact, I figured you'd show up tonight looking like something out of a fifties sitcom."

Paula laughed, a totally female sound that made the other patrons look over briefly before going back to their papers or laptops. She shook her head. "Those days are long gone, Jo. At first, when the 'rents thought they had to reinforce the whole girly thing every minute of every day, I got so sick of pink that I almost threw up every time I saw a bottle of Pepto Bismol! And the frillies, and the dolls, and the endless emotional bullshit." Paula sighed. "It made me angry, and sad ... but mostly it was annoying and frustrating as hell. The one thing I never wanted to be was a girl, and there I was in a box, being force fed femininity. But I was a lot younger then -- we all were -- and even though it took 'em a while, eventually the folks thought we were beaten and ... relaxed a little."

Stark laughed. "With you in that outfit, I'd say they relaxed a lot!"

"Oh, come on! It's Halloween! Although I must admit, Mom'd freak if she saw me in leathers. Oh, just a sec!" Paula waved, and one of the counter staff came over. She smiled up at him and lowered her eyelids slightly. "Hey, Bobby," she purred, touching him on the arm and watching him blush all over. "Bring me a triple espresso and another grande for my friend, k?" He nodded and nearly tripped over himself heading back to the bar. Paula shot Jo a look and smiled. "He's cute, but soooo shy. Still, if he ever asked, I'd go out with him in a heartbeat. Not that he will, though. I scare him to death!" She heaved a small sigh and watched him walk away. "Nice ass, though, don't ya think?"

Stark's eyes narrowed, and she gave Paula a long look. "They thought you were beaten?"

Paula stared right back at her, slightly indignant. "Hey! I may have been forced into clothes other girls my age wouldn't wear on a bet, but clothes don't make the man. OR the girl. I was ten years old then, and my options were limited. Joan and Allie, too. We had to go along, at least until we could figure out what our play was going to be."

"Your ... play?" A slow realization made Stark smile, and Paula could almost see a hard light flare behind her eyes.

"Oh, yeah," she said, smiling back. "It took a while to come up with something, but we had time. They sent us back to school like this -- had someone on the inside to change all our records, even our birth certificates. But they couldn't keep an eye on us all the time, even at school, so we got together and decided we'd let them think they won. It wasn't easy at first, but the punishment was so totally extreme, no one dared tease us at school. The guys were scared to death their 'rents would get the same idea if they started acting up, and the girls were royally pissed off at our folks for treating us this way. They welcomed us with open arms." Paula grinned.

Bobby took that moment to deliver the coffees, and Paula gave his arm a squeeze as a thank-you before turning back to Stark. She raised her cup in a toast.

"To friends, old and new!" Stark's lip twisted slightly, and she raised her own cup in response. After a shared sip, Paula continued.

"The girls helped us adapt, took us in and made us part of the gang. Helped us fit in, and helped us get over the worst of the early days." Paula looked down, and a small shiver ran through her shoulders. "It was pretty bad for a while there, for all of us. To have your whole life ripped apart because somebody else wants it that way?" Jo's eyes flashed, and Paula stopped, wondering if she had hit a nerve. "Not to mention that the people who are supposed to love you, watch out for you and keep you safe decide to remake you. That was harsh." She shook her head. "It took us all a long time to get past being betrayed, but eventually, we realized we needed to pick and choose who we trusted, and not count on genetics to do it for us. In the end, we just trusted each other. It was enough."

Her eyes turned inward, and Stark stayed quiet.

"We three became the best students in school, with straight A averages. When your only alternative is playing with dolls or practicing with make-up, you learn how to make your homework last, believe me. But that wasn't the only reason we studied. We knew from the minute they caught us that we'd been stupid, and they'd outsmarted us way too easily. So if we wanted to come out on top, we needed to get a whole lot smarter -- without the 'rents knowing about the things we REALLY wanted to get smart about."

"The first rule of strategy is 'know your enemy,' right? So we tried to learn everything we could about our folks. What they liked and disliked, where they worked. How they made their money. It was a long and incredibly boring exercise. Heck, it took us years to get what we needed. But we had to know, and we had to know without them knowing we knew. I kept all my notes in a little pink diary -- not the one I left under my mattress for the 'rents to find, all full of puppies and crushes and junk, but a second one hidden under the floorboards in the corner of my closet. At lunch, we shared what we had found, looking for common threads, and things we could take advantage of. But we still had so much left to learn when time ran out on us, the hard way."

"Two years after that awful Halloween, school closed for winter break. We went back to our houses and had dinner that night, but the food was drugged. We all woke up three weeks later, strapped down in hospital beds." Paula's mouth moved, like she was tasting something awful. "They'd 'fixed' us in our sleep. Flew us all down to a clinic in Mexico and paid extra to have everything done, quickly and quietly. That was our Christmas present that year. Vaginas and hormone implants." She shuddered again and took a sip of her espresso. "The year after that, we started getting the curves, the mood swings ..." Paula smiled ruefully. "When my voice finally changed, it got higher."

"When we went back home, everything went back to normal ... for the 'rents, anyway. For the three of us, it was another dark time. Before that, we all thought there was time, you know? If we could hang on long enough, play the game, we could get free in the end. But what they did in Mexico changed everything. Joan came close to committing suicide, but we kept her safe and kept the folks in the dark. After a while, we all faced the truth. For better or worse, we were what they made us. But it did make us work harder. Payback became much more important to all of us."

"By the following summer, we had a lot of sweet stuff. We had checking and savings account numbers, credit card statements, mortgage info and investment portfolios. We knew how much money the folks had, where they hid it, and how they got at it. All the while, we played the girl game. You know, short skirts and lingerie, make-up and make-overs, bikinis and ... and boyfriends." Jo gave her a sharp look, and Paula shrugged. "Like I said, by then we pretty much accepted what we were. Puberty hit hard, and there were enough hormones in those implants to give me these in record time." She waved at her chest. "I was a horny teenaged boy trapped in a hot teenaged girl body -- I was being chased by everything with a cock, and the girl in me wanted it more than the boy did." Just the same, her voice got very small. "And enjoyed it just as much."

Stark said nothing, and the teenager shrugged again and went on. "Anyway, we had all this information, but no way to do anything with it. We had the keys to their bank accounts, but no way to use them. None of us looked old enough to impersonate our moms, and everything we could do to hurt them would be discovered the next time a bank statement came in."

Paula took another sip and gave me a grin. "Then the business world discovered cyberspace. Online investing really started to take off. And online banking. Companies competing for mortgages on the Internet. Then everybody wanted to get in on the act."

Jo smiled. "On the Net, nobody knows you're a dog," she said.

"Or a minor," Paula replied, still grinning. "It was just what we needed."

"Allie begged and pleaded, and was on her best behavior for months," she continued. "Finally, she got that pink Barbie PC she'd been asking for, and she squealed and delivered hugs to her Mom and Dad on Christmas morn. Joan? She got an iMac for Hanukah ... perfect for graphic design and desktop publishing. And me? Well, I received the best gift ever -- a woman's business suit with a choice of blouses and shoes. I told Mom I might want to do some job interviews and wanted to look my best. The truth was, I was the tallest of the three of us, and the most ... developed. If we needed somebody to play the adult, I was the best we had."

"At first, we only took enough from everyone's savings accounts to rent an apartment, and Joan put together a copy of Mom's driver's license with only the birthday changed." Paula snickered, and ducked her head. "No WAY could I look as old as Mom, not even on my worst day. But it turned out that it really didn't matter. They xeroxed the fake, accepted the first and last month's rent, and we were on our way."

"We changed the address on every single account our folks had, and set up a secure, untraceable account in the Caymans. Then we began siphoning off assets. Allie enjoyed being a hacker as much as she enjoyed teasing football players. We sent false statements to all the 'rents every month, courtesy of Joan's Macintosh, and her magic fingers. Every account statement told them they were still stinking rich -- that everything was still in their accounts and all was right with the world. After a while, we convinced the folks that e-mail statements and checking the websites periodically beat keeping files of paper any day of the week. So now they get their false statements online, and check a phony Internet site. No more messy physical evidence."

Paula finished her coffee. "Eventually, all of their money would up in the Caymans. We even put a few extra mortgages on every house, just to be nasty. We've got a lot of it invested, and Allie's keeping an eye on it. Each of us is worth a few million -- but our folks are dead broke, and they don't even know it. It's a good thing they never tried to touch the principal, or we would have been so screwed. But we watched them long enough to see they were keeping their hands off, waiting for retirement to go wild."

"We've set up a dedicated computer in a pirate server farm offshore. It's programmed to keep sending digital statements on a regular basis -- properly formatted, of course. And by the time retirement rolls around, the 'rents will discover that their golden years have just become a lot less golden."

She went quiet for a while, her eyes down, moving the coffee cup around in circles on the scarred wood table. Then suddenly, without looking up, she spoke. "We’re leaving tonight. It's Halloween -- we thought it was the right time to go. Karmic balance or something, you know? And then there's the hook for the news people. 'Mysterious disappearance of three young girls.' It'll hit all the media, big feeding frenzy. Put the spotlight on the 'rents, and maybe somebody will dig up what we used to be, and make a stink." She paused, thinking. "Or maybe no one will ever remember Paul, John, and Al. I guess in the end, it doesn't matter. We're just gonna ... go. We'll fly off to somewhere sunny on our shiny new false passports, and live on the beach for the rest of our lives drinking rum drinks with umbrellas and seducing beach boys until we're too old to remember how."

Paula stood up. "So while I appreciate your offer, I'm afraid we have to respectfully decline. I'm sorry we didn’t just wait around to be rescued or revenged, but I guess I'm just a 'do it yourself' kind of girl at heart."

"So I see." Stark smiled and stood up as well. "You had the situation well in hand. Less work for me. I'm sorry I intruded."

"No, no," Paula replied quickly. "I'm glad you found us. It's good to know you're out there. I mean, it's good, what you do. You're needed, believe me. I'm sure there are a lot of girls out there in our position who aren't quite what you'd call ... self -starters. If you ever need a hand, doing what you do ... well, it can get pretty boring lying on a beach. And you've got to admit, we do have experience."

Jo laughed, and nodded. "You do, indeed."

They shook hands solemnly, and then Paula surprised Stark with a hug, which the older woman tentatively returned.

As they broke apart, Jo raised a finger. "One question?" The teenager turned and cocked her head. Stark chose her words carefully. "You seem very well ... adjusted to all of this. You're a beautiful young woman, and seem to enjoy being one. If you and Joan and Allie are all like this -- if you all like what you've become -- why choose revenge at all?"

There was a long silence. Paula stared out the window into the parking lot, and when she spoke, there was a touch of regret. "Before we put all this together, I started having second thoughts about stripping them bare. I mean, it had been years since it happened. The three of us were doing okay, for the most part. Maybe this wasn't the right way to go." She sighed. "So I went to Mom and Dad, to try and get some answers. I want to know why they did this to all of us. I just wanted to know why."

"Do you know what they said to me?" Stark shook her head. "They both smiled and said, 'Because we could.'" Paula snorted. "No regret. No apology. Just because they could. Now that's cold."

The teen shook her head. "Just because we got used to being this way, maybe even learned to like it ... well, that doesn't mean they had a right to do this to us in the first place. Back then, we were just ... boys, you know? Wanting to blow off some steam, raise a little Hell. Doing this to us was just ... cruel. And sick."

She looked off into the distance, thinking, and spoke slowly. "And in the end, I guess we could've gotten all kick-ass about it. You know, poisoned them, or crippled them, or done something physical, you know? Paul might have, maybe, if there was any of him left in me after six years like this. But I guess being forced to become female did teach us a lesson after all -- that maybe there is something to be said for being subtle, and smart. Maybe it is better to take a quiet but well-thought-out revenge instead of taking the more direct route."

Two more girls appeared at the front door and waved, all smiles. Stark recognized them from the survelliance photos. Joan was dressed as a pirate's wench and Allie as a sexy cat burglar. Paula waved back. "Besides, I heard someone say once that the best revenge is living well. And we'll all be living very well very soon." She smiled, with just a touch of sadness. "Well, not the folks, of course. But as for that ... it's just the price they get to pay for doing what they did, all those Halloweens ago."

Paula thought for a moment, and her sad smile became a feral grin. "Hey! I guess we got to play a Halloween trick after all. Even if it is six years too late. No treats for them -- and they'll be left holding the bag."

Paula blew Jo a kiss and glided across the room to her friends. After Stark watched them all disappear into the October night, she sat back down and picked up her coffee.

The best revenge is living well, she thought. Maybe ... maybe I've been going at this all wrong. Stark took a sip and let her mind roam.

Now there's something to think about.

© 2006 as a work in progress, all rights reserved. Posted with permission of the author.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh, oh wow!

Great chapter Randalynn! These three certainly will have the last laugh! I guess Jo gets the night off this time! Loving Hugs Talia

The Halloween Ride of Paul(a) Revere, by Jezzi Belle Stewart

Three days before Randalynn posted this story, Jezzi Belle Stewart submitted an illustrated poem featuring three characters whose names ended up Paula, Joan, and Allie. A little over six years later in story time, the three appear in their prom gowns—at least in the poem's version of events. Randalynn ends the subjection of the three to their parents differently, at the Halloween exactly six years later.

Three characters with the same names, allusions to tabloid coverage in poem and story, and endings six years later—there are quite a few coincidences here.

I'm surprised nobody picked up the coincidences. Actually, I subscribe to Commandante Bayo's dictum: "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time is enemy action."

I think Randalynn did a geat job creating a new take on Jezzi Belle's theme.

Jo Stark is an interesting character. I'll enjoy seeing her again—or Paula, with or without Joan and Allie.

'Fess up, Randalynn. Did you write your story in response to Jezzi Belle's? If you did, it was quick work—and your framing device—a coffee shop that screams "Starbucks" like the Starbucks full of kids that one sees on the upper east side of Manhattan—was an inspired idea.

rg

the best revenge

Paula and her friends found the way to have it. Not that their parents deserved anything less, and indeed, got off lightly.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Merphy tried to teach us...

To lazy to look for the actual quote, but it was somethung like: "If things go badly, they will turn to the worse soon. If it looks like things are going OK or improve - you've missed something important."

A very powerful story

That elicited dosens of comments, and only a meager ammount of votes - explainable only by the fact it was published long ago, and possibly did not have the vote function just then.

As many people here I am also flabbergasted and angered by the cold and indifferent reason given to the former victims: "Because we could." Cold indeed. And, given the fact it was supposed to be a rich family, I can only conclude this was coming only from one reason - decorum. Yes, for the parents - the house, the spouse, and the child - were all but a decorum they expected to have around them. As simple as that. I can find only this explanation for such indifference.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

The warden in Shawshank Redemption

laika's picture

...has nothing on these girls' parents in terms of pure evil; and imagining the look on their faces when they realize how badly they'd underestimated their victims (and how screwed they are!) is just as gratifying. From the comments it seems you added a few lines to the story, to leave no doubt what unregenerate swine they were ........... I LIKE IT! This was a great installment of the Stark saga.

I love the Stark character, and her story, but find a lot of the foes she faces annoying and not terribly interesting. Cackling misandrist comic book villians- although I realize you're limited by the conventions of the genre they come from. And sometimes I wonder if there's something misogyinistic (not in you, Randa dear, but in the vast glut of forced-fem stories you're playing off of here...) about the obsession with women like this, and how their feminizing games go on and on and on, their total heartless cruelty hammered home over thirty or fifty pages. And while I realize they wouldn't advertise their twistedness, I've never met anyone like them that I know of. I've met some real misandrists, but they seem content with doing their best to avoid male company. And I've met some scary female sociopaths, but they'll play anyone, since women don't mean anything to them either. So maybe I liked this one in particular because there were none of these demon vulturesses actually in the story to spout their annoying shit. And also that the male progenitors played a part in the girls victimization too, which gives the series a bit of balance by reminding us that men can be evil feminizers too (just ask any unwilling prison punk). The girls' resourcefulness + strength were a delight to read about, and that Stark could take the day off, and has met kindred spirits of a sort, who may have given her something to think about with how they're continuing their lives. Maybe when they're idling on the beach spending their millions they'll run into Tim Robbins from Shawshank, who made a similar escape & victory...
~~hugs, Laika

.
Whatever machinery is sequencing these comments and replies is seriously confused.

I had been thinking ...

... about writing a story where Stark swoops in only to find the situation already well in hand. I thought maybe Jo should see that sometimes, through force of will, victims can save themselves, just as she did. Then I saw Jezzi's take on the classic poem, and wrote "The Best Revenge" in a very short period of time (although I didn't think it was THAT close). *grins* I'm happy that Jezzi gave her approval after the fact in a comment over on Sapphire's Place, and I can promise you at least a few more Stark tales in the months to come -- basically because they exist half-written on my hard drive even as I type.

Thanks for commenting! *smile*

Randalynn

It does seem odd ...

... that the villain in most of the forced-fem stories I've read is a woman, and I am sort of working with what I've got. Maybe i should have Jo take on a man who feminizes other men for fun and profit? *grin*

As Stark says at the end of this story ... "now there's something to think about."

*hugs*

Randa

Probably

It has to deal with the subconcious fear of men that if they do so, nothing prevents someone else from doing it to them. Turnabout is a fair play, and females are naturally impervious to feminisation as it is supposed to be their original state. Also, irrational men-hating is an easy reason to write in, as well as a desire to dominate 'stronger gender'. Also, women are seen as more emotional creatures, for men to do so a logical-like rationalisation should be present.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Nice

I love this series and hope you there will be many more of Stark.

The Best Revenge

The best revenge is living well, but .

That's what I think, too. The eerie thing is that those bank accounts could be changed as you lay it out if the person involved has the password, has access to the computer, and lives at the same address or can intercept the mail at that address. I went there once quite a while ago. They had two industries: scuba diving, and banking. Not so sure about the Cayman Islands accounts being as secure as they once were, but what the heck, the last time I looked, a few years ago, some offshore accounts were still holding out against the IRS.

The only thing that rang tin for me was the kids' interest in guys. I just can't see hormones changing a person's orientation. Then again, if they were determined to change themselves, it's possible. Societal pressures can do a great deal, and if there was the smallest degree of bisexuality in them, it could happen.

(I love the auto spellcheck on this latest version of Firefox!)

Nice thoughtful story, Randalynn.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks, aardie. *smile*

I'm glad you liked the story, and I sort of agree with you about hormones changing a person's orientation. In my own defense, they were operated on and pumped full of hormones before puberty hit, and they had been living as girls for several years before that. So it's possible that circumstance and desire pushed them all close enough to the line to fall over when guys started noticing they were seriously HOT.

In this case, I bet with my heart and not my head that finding guys desirable wouldn't be too far out of the range of the average suspension of disbelief. I wanted to give the threesome a way to move on easily. In short, I wanted them to use their heads and earn themselves a happy ending at the expense of the ones who transformed them. *grins* I am such a sucker for a happy ending.

Randalynn

BUFFY: Does it get any easier?
GILES: You mean life?
BUFFY: Yeah. Does it get easy?
GILES: What do you want me to say?
BUFFY: Lie to me.
GILES: Yes, it's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after.
BUFFY: Liar.
-- Joss Whedon, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Can't Agree

RobertaME's picture

I know that it's over 13 years after the fact, but I'm just getting to these stories and couldn't let this comment go without a retort.

Many decades ago in the United States, mental health professionals, under the guise of being 'helpful' to their patients, pumped megadoses of testosterone into gay men and boys, some as young as twelve, in an effort to force them to become 'real men'. The same was done with lesbian women and girls using estrogen. The result was predictable; the men and boys remained gay and the women and girls remained lesbians, but with severe side effects from what the hormones did to them... especially the younger patients. It was one of the primary reasons why the psychological community shifted from trying to 'fix' the minds of their patients and moved toward teaching self acceptance.

This idea that HRT causes M2F TGs to suddenly become male-attracted is a lie concocted by people to pretend that they weren't male-attracted when they were still closeted and living as men. It's easier to sell the idea that it was the hormones that made them become attracted to men, rather than have to admit that they always were, even when the world perceived them as men... thus making them gay, right?

I've been TG my entire life. Well, since age 3 at least, I can't remember earlier than that... but some stories my mother tells me make me suspect I was even younger than that. I've also been female-attracted since age 8. My first crush was the 10-year-old girl who lived across the street from me and was my older sister's best friend. Since sexual orientation forms years before puberty, and hormones cannot change orientation, ergo forcing boys to undergo even megadoses of HRT won't make them become attracted to men unless they were to begin with. Social pressure to conform to societal norms in any era in the last 30 years, outside of small rural communities, would also fall flat.

The best revenge these three BOYS (and yes I say BOYS because you can't FORCE someone to change gender identity) could have on their obviously egocentric parents would have been to all become female delinquents... thus proving that the parents did nothing to change who the boys were inside. For THAT is the one liberty all of us posses that can never be taken from us by ANYONE; the right to be a complete asshole!

Just some food for THOUGHT! Love the stories!

Stark

Randalynn,
Very well done story. I would love to see a sequal to this particular story. I would love to see what becomes of the parents when everything comes tumbling down. Also would love to see when news hounds ask about what happened to their sons since they haven't been seen in years. Would love to see them come up with stories about them. Would love to see them destitute too, where they have to take low paying jobs just to survive and have them move into a trailer park or some such hovil.

I like seeing cruel people get theirs. I am sure they aren't even going to be worried about their daughters anyway, Since they didn't like them as sons.

Hoping to see more of these type of stories.

Joni

Stark and Sequals

Most Starks are written as separate, self-contained stories but a few demand followups or closure if and when Stark finds his/her Medall of Zulo, MAU or just a way to break the programing and enjoy his womanhood as being a man is imposible now.

Beneigth the revenge is/was a kind person -- how he treats the little girl/formerly a man in a earlier story is proof. She -- Stark -- deserves some pleasure and a family if possible, not just her fellow victim/followers and her devoted friend as she has now.

The man turned into a little girl, what did Stark do to her girlfiend/mom in punishment or did the victim get Stark to force the woman to set aside assets for her to compensate for what she stole from him -- the house, college degree, carreer, possessions, and compensation for the cruelty of it all. Didn't he help her through school? I always wanted to know her reasoning for not changing him back because she didn't seem a cruel person at first. Why keep him stuck as a man's mind in a girls body, he wasn't a bad person, why not leave him when opportunity was forcing them apart? The original story never explained her outragious actions to his predicament.

I'd love to see these girls show up years later as their parents are hounded by the law and the public for castrating and feminizing their children and suspected of killing them or selling them into slavery in exchange for the girls. Destitue, friendless, jobless, maybe FINALLY realizing they -- the 'rents -- had been been monsters to their own blood, the children visit them.
* * * *

"Moms, dads, I hope you weren't expecting grandchildren, because we can't ever have any, thank's to your *tough love*. But that's for the best, look at what monsters they would be considering what you did to us and what you forced us to do to you. It's best you will never have any decendants."

"Look at what you've made us into. We should give you five dollars and tell you to buy a pack of utility razor blades to slit your wrists and get it over, but then were not sick, perverted bastards like you. WE have a conscious, however much you tried to twist us.

We've set up a trust fund for you so you'll have more than just Social Security to live on, but no luxuries. Unless you can find a way to make us whole again, that means being able to have our own children -- male or female we don't care at this point, though female would be easier after all those years and drugs -- don't ever expect our love or respect. We'll be in touch, murderers."

Maybe years later they reconcile as medical technolgy and their wealth make it possible for them to become fertile women and have their own families.

* * * *

I guess that would be Stark Light. Seen too many Disney films as a kid, I guess.

Nice stuff, Randalynn

John in Wauwatosa

La vengeance est un plat qui se mange froid

Too many years ago and yet not long enough, a group of people conspired to harm me. They succeeded. For a time I would day and night dream about the best revenge.

After a great deal of soul-searching I realized I could have prevented what they did, had I been less trusting.

I also realized that I had choices to make. I could let them change me into a heartless person who cared only to balance the books, or I could move on and remain the trusting person I had been.

I picked the later, and have had a very nice live.

Revenge is best served cold, because it takes a cold person to seek revenge and thus - serve it. You did a wonderful job showing the young girl as cold enough to have completely written off regard for her 'rents.

Maybe there could have been a way for the girls to have a shred of compassion. The 'rents owed a debt to society, as did many, many other people who allowed the travesty to occur.

Perhaps Stark could've helped the girls arrange for a packet of damning evidence to be turned over to the authorities. Perhaps Stark should have warmed their souls enough to allow the 'rents a portion of their wealth, but only once they reached age seventy-five or so.

I kept waiting for Stark to be less . . . well . . . stark.

Or, it was fine just the way you wrote it.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

It's hard to tell how far is too far ...

... when it comes to crime and punishment. In college, I was in a similar situation to the one you described in your comment, and I made the same choice you did. I trusted too much, and they used that trust to hurt and humiliate me. And it could have been much much worse.

I had a choice -- to close up and live my life as if everyone was a potential predator, or to stay open and take my chances. I chose to keep trusting people untl they gave me a reason not to, and I've only been burned badly once since then. Not a bad average, overall.

But to this day, it galls me that they had their fun with no consequences. Because somewhere, somehow, there has to be justice.

Stark wants the parents to hurt. A LOT. I doubt she would steer the girls towards compassion, even if she could. Why should she? There are no extenuating circumstances here. It's pure overkill with a touch of cruelty, for a crime the kids never even got a chance to commit. Why would ANY parent do what they did to these children? It's insane.

Still, I may revisit the story. In trying to show the reader that the trio has moved on (or at least buried the scars and made the best of things), I may have portrayed them as being colder than I should have. And you've got to get the audience to root for the home team, right?

Something to think about. *grin*

Randalynn

I DID tweak the tale a tad just now ...

... to hopefully lessen the chill.

***

They shook hands solemnly, and then Paula surprised Stark with a hug, which the older woman tentatively returned.

As they broke apart, Jo raised a finger. "One question?" The teenager turned and cocked her head. Stark chose her words carefully. "You seem very well ... adjusted to all of this. You're a beautiful young woman, and seem to enjoy being one. If you and Joan and Allie are all like this -- if you all like what you've become -- why choose revenge at all?"

There was a long silence. Paula stared out the window into the parking lot, and when she spoke, there was a touch of regret. "Before we put all this together, I started having second thoughts about stripping them bare. I mean, it had been years since it happened. The three of us were doing okay, for the most part. Maybe this wasn't the right way to go." She sighed. "So I went to Mom and Dad, to try and get some answers. I want to know why they did this to all of us. I just wanted to know why."

"Do you know what they said to me?" Stark shook her head. "They both smiled and said, 'Because we could.'" Paula snorted. "No regret. No apology. Just because they could. Now that's cold."

The teen shook her head. "Just because we got used to being this way, maybe even learned to like it ... well, that doesn't mean they had a right to do this to us in the first place. Back then, we were just ... boys, you know? Wanting to burn off some steam, raise a little Hell. Doing this to us was just ... cruel. And sick."

***

I think this helps give my girls just a little more reason to want to do what they did. As if they needed it. *smile*

Randalynn

Tweak not necessary

I find it interesting that the victims are expected to be forgiving, as if one set of standards applies to the perps and another, higher set to those victimized. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Anyway you look at it, it's child abuse. If time would allow me to go back and confront the person who molested me when I was seven, I'd be a lot harsher than simply ruining him financially.

When you warp another person's life like these boy's lives were warped, don't expect a high moral standard to result. After all, they've been taught by their "loved ones" that morality doesn't apply. Gee, our boys forcibly turned into girls are not sweet and forgiving, wonder why?

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Loose Change

I love your change. You might even take it bit more to show they acted out of logic rather than blind hatred.

The 'rents did it because they could. By stripping them of their financial wealth, the children have taken away at least a good part of their ability to do something like this to someone else.

Don't feel bad, I was uncomfortable with the end of "Trading Places" the Dan Akroyd/Eddie Murphy classic. Maybe I'm too much of a Don Ameche fan.

Two wrongs don't equal a right and we don't have the "right" to do wrongs.

Randalynn, you are one of the writers I respect most on this site. Sometimes a story that goes a little over the top is just what the doctor ordered. (My story "Residue" certainly shot passed normal boundaries.) Simply because I would've written it a slightly different way is not a criticism, it's a sign of respect. It shows that I was engaged by your story and cared about the characters.

Your theme was a balanced retribution, while mine would have been a making the best of a horrible situation.

Now my contrary opinion --- Did you ever see the 1932 film "If I Had a Million"? The "Road Hog" segment of the movie with W.C Fields is one of my all time favorites and something we all wish we could do.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Wonderful, Randalynn!

You are too clever by half! Wonderful tale of just deserts.

Angela, I think the parents have reaped what they have sown. If the children are too cold, it's what the parents made them. To expect 16 year old kids to be altruistic enough to rise above what was done to them is unrealistic. Perhaps in years to come they may mature enough to forgive their parents, but a vine that's twisted early seldom grows truly straight afterwards.

Another twisted vine,
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

something to think about..

kristina l s's picture
.. yes, it is. It is not hard to go the 'cold' route if you are pushed far enough or hard enough. Nice to see they adjusted and accepted at least enough to live. But hey, nothing wrong with keeping that candle burning. Ya might just need the flame some time Kristina

Usual Good Job...

...and a thought-provoking story from a very recognizable starting point.

As you indicated at the end, it'll be most interesting to see what Stark takes from this.

Eric

Vive la Vengeance!

I am very sold on the idea of having the main character do nothing in a story. All Stark has to do is listen. I am totally in accord with Karen. It's very clever Randalynn. More than clever, it's very effective.

A sort of non-narrating narrator. And yet of course it wouldn't work at all if it wasn't Stark who was doing the listening. Or rather if we weren't convinced by Stark's personna.

And that in turn wouldn't convince if it weren't for the quality of the writing which was up to your standard hallmark of excellence.

Oddly enough, all right perversely enough :), for me the one thing that caused a slight stirring of disbelief, a fractional lift of the eyebrows, was your additional 'tweak' which you say was to lessen the chill and I was interested as to why you felt it helped. Judging by others' comments it did, but for me it ..... well .... it seemed to detract from the spell you were weaving as I had difficulty in accepting that any parent would do such a thing just 'because they could'. Let alone three of them doing it in cahoots! At that point the thought did cross my mind that, if such were indeed the case, they, the parents, deserved help rather than punishment.

Maybe I have just led a sheltered life.

Which leads me, in a rather contrived way, to a more general point that I have noticed about people's comments here. Many concern, indeed are judgemental about, the morality of characters' actions. Morality as judged in a vacuum rather than in the context of the character. Almost as if the tale was a moral tract, rather than a rattling good yarn. I probably express it badly but for me the actions of a character are of interest only in so far as they are part of the nature of that character. Or to put it another way the morality of a character's actions have no primary interest outside the action of the plot. Unless of course one is attempting to write a latter day 'Pilgrim's Progress'.

Or have I got it wrong? Or does it appear so to me because Europe is a far more secular place than the U.S.A.?

Not that any this has anything to do with Randalynn's splendid tale which is a delight.

And doubtless I shall regret straying away from my path of simple, straightforward, appreciatioin in the morning. :)

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

I added the "tweak" ...

... to make it clear that there was some hesitancy on the part of Paula to inflict a "scorched earth" policy on the parents without at least trying to understand why they did what they did. The reply of her parents was there to show that they had no interest in explaining anything. They did what they did, and it was Paula's job to live with it.

I wanted to show that Paula had some heart, and that the parents had none -- thus making the decision of the girls to rob them all until the cupboards were bare to be a little less cold, and a little more understandable.

Hope this helps! *hugs* Love ya, fleurie!

Randalynn

Twick or tweak?

Yesssss dear Randalynn, I see why you did it. At least the reasoning of trying to show the girls as compassionate, although I tend to be with Karen in wondering if such was necessary.

What threw me, continues to throw me, is the response of 'because we could'. A bald statement of complete indifference. Bleak. Stark indeed.

But more than indifference, the statement of two people living in a world turned inwards on themselves and completely divorced from the human condition. And the other two sets of parents? Was this also how they felt?

If so they need help. Maybe Stark should go back and find out what happened to them in their formative years?

I suppose what I am getting at, in a stumbling, roundabout sort of way, is that I was distracted from the tale of the girls to start to wonder about the parents. More than if the latter had just shown indifference to the question, or had been evasive ..... or practically any other reason than 'because we could'.

Of course it is a tribute to your writing that my interest is so involved. And I suspect that mine is an idiosyncratic response. Still it does niggle at me .....

I must get a hobby!

Love,

Fleurie

Fleurie

I see what you mean ...

... and I'm slightly tempted to change it, but the answer they gave (and the attitude of these parents from the very start) underscores an essential weakness in this genre of fiction. Most of those who commit the kind of gender-bending atrocities we frequently find in TG "forced femme" stories are so completely egocentric as to border on the psychotic -- nay, to slip clear past the border and drive boldly through the checkpoint at high speed in a bright pink tricked-out semi with the words "Kiss ME, I'm BONKERS!!" painted on the side. They have no true empathy ... no connection to those they torment except to derive pleasure from their pain and humiliation.

I guess I believe that anyone with such a total and all-encompassing disregard for the rights of other people just to be who they are can't be helped. They can't be forced to see that other people ARE people, with rights and identities that deserve respect. I don't think they can be helped -- not when they've already decided no one else is truly real, except for them.

And in the final analysis, justifying what was done to the trio would be manifestly impossible ... so I suppose I didn't even think to try.

Still, if it takes you out of the tale, Fleurie, I do worry that it might be a problem. It's just one I'm not sure I know how to fix. *smile*

Anyway, thanks for being such a wonderful reader! *hugs tight* And such a terrific writer in your own right.

Much love,

Randalynn

I wonder

I'm not sure if I can articulate this properly, but the difference between the original story and the revision seems to be be in motivation. The first one at least allows the reader to suppose that what was done was out of a warped idea that it was good for the boys. This in turn would make the revenge seem somehow wrong, because the parents did the wrong thing for the right reasons so they should be forgiven. The revised bit removes that.

But the way I see it, whatever their motives may have been, they were still wrong. Does the fact that a child molester sees having sex with a minor to be a learning experience for the child mitigate the harm they actually cause. NO! And the parents having forced their sons to become girls is no less evil if they thought it was the "right" thing to do.

Morality is a slippery subject, and where you draw the line is tough. When does compelling another's behavior or appearance to change stop being moral and instead become immoral. I don't know where to draw that line. I can only judge each case on an individual basis.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Right and wrong

I agree with you in part, Karen. In the end, why they did it doesn't matter. But morality ISN'T slippery here. What the parents did was wrong no matter how you look at it. The initial humilating parade might have been defensible, but the complete rewriting of their lives and the forced surgery pushes the needle so far into the WRONG zone that no amount of rationalization can excuse it. To me, no one has the right to compel someone to change their sex -- or compel them to remain in a body that doesn't match their true gender.

Paula's need to know why wouldn't have excused the parents, but at least it would have given Paula a reason for her world to have been turned upside down so completely by the people she was supposed to be able to trust the most.

Still, I'm happy this story has evoked such a response. *smile* Thanks for reading, and caring!

Randalynn

Trying Again

I agree, what was done was wrong, pure and simple. What I was addressing is crafting a law or rule that would fit any situation. Can you come up with a one size fits all rule that says for instance, that compeling a gang-banger to change is right while compeling a transgendered person to change is wrong? I can't.

It's the nature of our society, indeed it's seems to be human nature to come up with hard and fast rules to guide and control out lives. I'm wary of this tendency, it seems to me that laws or rule can be a two-edged sword, with unintended consequences. I prefer a looser society, but such a society would require more acceptance of personal responsibility. Can't see that happening!

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A Can of Interesting Worms.

The trouble with worms is that they writhe, making them difficult to pick up. And the head and tail are indistinguishable at first sight. Except of course to other worms and blackbirds with a degree in biology.

A can of worms just multiplies the problem to a daunting degree.

And worms in mud are even more difficult to examine objectively. Again we, Karen, yourself and I, seem to be drifting periously close to the muddy waters of morality in general. A theme I mentioned in my first comment. This is a work of fiction and we needn't be too exercised about whether the characters are right or wrong in principle. It is about revenge for a fait accompli

So where do I start? Let me plunge my hand in and ..... What have we here?

"Most of those who commit the kind of gender-bending atrocities we frequently find in TG "forced femme" stories are so completely egocentric as to border on the psychotic." Yes. They are called sadists and many forced femme authors are greatly in their debt. They would be lost without them. What is more readers of the genre accept them as a necessary part of life. No further justification is needed.

Again my hand goes in and .... hey presto!

"but the complete rewriting of their lives and the forced surgery pushes the needle so far into the WRONG zone that no amount of rationalization can excuse it." No it can't. But you didn't give excuses. you gave an explanation. And my point was that the one you gave was far, far, worse than sadism or any other of the conventional reasons such as greed, hatred, insanity etc, any one of which would be perfectly acceptable to any well balanced reader. Well being well ablanced is not obligatory of course but it does help, as my more charitable friends inform me.

They did it 'because they could.' And the four other parents presumably were in accord.

And that is really chilling. Which is good. It is strong and powerful.

Too strong and powerful, and unnecessarily so, at that juncture in the story for me. My eyebrows rose because my 'suspension of belief' meter went into the red zone. And then I started to wonder about the parents. :)

And I started to think, not whether or not they could be helped, you may be right that they are beyond redemption, but why are they as they are.

But as I say I may just have to get out more.

Love,

Fleurie

Fleurie

I LOVE conversations like this!

Moral quandaries and "cans of worms!" This is the sort of intelligent give-and-take I long for and seldom get in the day-to-day.

Yes, Fleurie, maybe i did push the parents too far into the red zone with their explanation -- probably because of my own hatred of those who play games with the lives of others. I'm not sure whether, as an author, I'm supposed to let my feelings impact my stories that way. Maybe it's something I should be wary of, and guard against, lest it hurt rather than help the telling of the tale.

On the other hand, I could argue that such passions make the characters and their story burn brighter somehow. I'm not sure which way to jump, but being the emotional type, I'll probably keep going a little past the edge -- just as I always seem to do. *smile*

Much love,

Randalynn

Anger is the Spur

Go for the passion, the commitment, your pain, every time Randalynn. That is what makes your stories so good.

My comments were a mere quibble. A foolish bagatelle of self doubts. And they were only sparked because of the integrity in your writing. At best they only encapsulated my reaction. And, believe it or not, their are some who would argue that I am not infallible. In matters of literary judgement and comment at least!

So never look before you jump. Just take a deep angry breath and soar!

Much Love,

Fleurie

Fleurie

emotions and belief

kristina l s's picture
It seems that sometimes we seek more than there is in these tales. But... I read and come across a phrase like...'because we could'.. and it is so cold and callous. Not even raising the energy to slap or spit. Just a totally impersonal dismissal. Which would either whither the soul or prompt a flare of anger, hidden or otherwise, that results in the tale as related to Stark. It seemed prefectly understandable to go the way they did. Perhaps even restrained. Did it need further explanation or revision? Not to me. The world is full of horrors and pain and there is also light and love. Can one ever truly be balanced by the other? Individually or collectively. Waaay outside my perception or understanding. You just stand and see and feel and go with what you 'know'. If Randalynn occasionally gets a little over emotional, shrug, who am I to comment. Few do it with the style or skill and would any want it any other way? Don't think so. Kristina

Negative Space

Your story reminded me a bit of Somerset Maughan's Razor's Edge in that you used negative space (Stark) to emphasize the girl.

In Maughan's book his hero looked much better because everyone else was so bad, even though the hero wasn't all the good himself.

In your story, Stark's failure to suggest a better route gave tacit societal approval to what the girls had done, because you established Stark as a righteous person.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Stark's goals ...

... make her righteous, but sometimes her methods make her feel as much a monster as those she tracks down and punishes. Ultimately, part of the reason for writing this story was to remind Stark that victims don't always stay victims -- that sometimes the persecuted can rise and fend for themselves, and rather well at that.

Putting the girls center stage also left Stark to fill the role of the audience, and gave her a chance to see what she does from another perspective. Hopefully, seeing things through different eyes will help her grow ... or at least feel better about who she has become and why she's needed.

Randalynn