The Center: Children of the Tainted Water chapter 8

Printer-friendly version


The Center: Children of the Tainted Water

Chapter Eight


By


Maggie Finson.

Gunfire was almost constant as I stared down the hall I knew held a very powerful Telepath though I still wasn’t able to see him and chewed on ideas to make things more difficult for him.

“Goggles!” I heard Lulu shout and got mine in place just after the lights in the data center went out. That was good thinking and I kicked myself for not having it done sooner. Now our attackers were lit and backlit while we were hidden in shadow or even darkness.

“Enfilade.” I whispered to myself. (See? I have been reading those damned tactical manuals.) and ordered. “Sergeant Ramirez, have your people fire down that hallway and to keep up a steady fire that won’t deplete your ammo too fast.”

They were already doing that and I got a look that plainly told me it was nice I’d noticed the opportunity, but to leave that kind of thing to the real professionals. I shrugged, gave him a grin and nodded.

Now for the part I could actually do that hadn’t been done.

I nearly cringed as the keening, cutting sound of a bullet passed by my right ear. From behind. I just had to trust the teams holding the other doors hadn’t been overwhelmed and knew they hadn’t or there would have been a lot more than one round whining past me. I did remind myself that standing upright probably wasn’t the best of ideas just then and dropped into a crouch as another round ripped through the air where my head had been seconds before.

But there was something else to worry about then. I reached out and changed the flooring of the hallway I was facing just a bit. Uneven footing for the bad guys had to be good for us. At least that’s what I thought. And if a few feet got caught in the floor as a result, well, that’s the breaks, right?

The image of an empty hallway wavered and was replaced with one full of troops, a lot of them down or scrambling to find nonexistent cover. My SOF people (why do I just automatically include anyone participating in something I’m involved in as mine? Later inanities, no time for you just now!) were gleefully hosing the revealed targets with fire the moment they appeared.

Hah! I thought. Come out and play big man, now that you’re troops are visible!

Me and my big mouth, even if it was just my mind that had said that.

“Oh, you are good, little girl.” The voice returned and I started feeling pressure on my mind and perceptions as the bloody scene in front of me faded to show a wide field under a warm sun that was filled with green grass and dandelions. Dandelions? Okay, I think my opponent was a little rushed there too, but the scene looked so damned normal.

I lowered the ceiling in the hallway in response to that, even if I couldn’t see the hallway just then I knew it was still there. Go figure, the sky in my vision got a whole lot closer once I’d done that and I felt rather than heard a very distinct cry of pain from my opponent.

As I was waving a hand to get the cloud that had suddenly decided my head would make a fine surrogate for a mountain, the scene dissolved and I again saw the once pristine hallway. Now it looked like a butcher shop in an earthquake.

I really wanted to puke after that, but I’d seen things just as bad, hell, I’d caused things just as bad. Just not on — this scale is all.

Evidently, I’d scored big time on the telepath because the attackers started pulling back. It couldn’t have a thing to do with the withering devastating fire my SOF people were putting out, could it? Oh yeah, I decided that it was real good idea to make friends with these people and keep them as friends.

“Telepath is down.” I informed Ramirez while I blocked the corridor with extrusions of the stone just under the walls we could see. “They’ll have to blast to get through that now.”

I’d essentially plugged the hole that hallway had been. Just by changing things so the part of the hallway closest to us didn’t exist. Big, really big plug there.

Ramirez looked at the now blocked hall, then to me, and shook his head. “Ma’am, remind me to never, ever get you pissed off enough to do something to me.”

“I don’t do that to friends, Alphonse.” I answered then added. “Leave a couple of people to watch this one, there’s bound to be someone around here who can undo what I just did.”

He nodded, grinned and started giving orders. Things were not quite desperate any longer so I started paying attention to the ops chatter on my comm.

“Charlie team is pinned, I repeat, Charlie team is pinned!” An absurdly calm voice informed whoever was listening. “Containment was breached at grid numbers…”

You don’t need all that technical positioning crap here. Team Charlie was in trouble is all you need to understand. Armed soldiers were getting out of the barracks section and had one of my teams in a bad spot.

“Help on the way, Charlie.” Torrance’s voice came through. “Five minutes.”

“Roger that, We’ll be ready.” The response was crisp and I knew that even though Charlie team was probably being cut to bloody ribbons at the moment, they would hit their attackers once the support got there.

“Alpha, status?” Torrance’s voice came through again.

“Holding data center, still secure.” I shot back then added. Alpha leader here. Status?”

“Bravo has secured prisoners and labs.” Kris’ voice, sounding a bit sick but dangerously determined responded. “Hostiles down here.”

That one had floored me. Kris and her team had showed up and I’d expected to hand command over to her. Not.

“You know the sit, you have the planning, use us where you need us.” She’d flatly told me which shot down any idea I’d entertained of getting out of the painful duty of really being in command of a battle group going into real combat. “We’re here to support you, Luce. Do the damned job.”

So I did.

Which brings us back to the really nasty stuff now.

Laramie was working hard, not just on my team members. Evidently the bad guys didn’t care who they hit when firing into the darkness Lulu had brought to the Data Center. There were an awful lot of dead computer techs and more than a few of the ones still breathing were hurt.

“So much for taking care of your employees.” Laramie, her usually rich chocolate complexion looking more like weak chocolate milk now, told me. “The bastards actually targeted these people before Lulu turned the lights off.”

“They don’t want them in our hands.” I gave her shoulder a squeeze while wincing at the pain I knew she was enduring just from that brief contact.

“Yeah, I’m a healer, pure and simple.” Closing her eyes as she began to regain her usual color, she glared at the still open hallways. “But there are some people I would really like to hurt, really hurt right now.”

“Know how you feel, hon.” Giving her shoulder another squeeze I started moving away. “Don’t over extend yourself. If you can’t do something without killing yourself, don’t.”

Laramie’s style of healing took more guts than I think I could ever manage to show. She actually took the injured people’s wounds, broken bones, or whatever, into herself. As in literally feeling their pain and suffering their injuries. Along with the real physical damage. I’d seen bullets extrude from her flesh at times.

No, I don’t think I could ever be that selfless, or brave, as much as admitting that made me feel really small.

Kelly, on the other hand was having a great time. Gun nuts. What can I say?

“Got ‘em pinned down.” She informed me, then slapped another mag into her weapon and fired down the hall to discourage someone from even showing the top of their head. “We got this one, Luce.”

Light exploded into the Data center from another hallway and I heard the distinctly different sounds of rushing water — fire sprinklers, probably — and the crackle of electricity. Claire and Sam were doing their jobs with a grim efficiency that I had to admire though I knew both of them would be very sick when this was done. If they survived it.

Okay, by now you’re probably asking… If I’m a probability warper, why didn’t I just reach out and finish the battle from where I was. Come on, I’m not god. Or a goddess. I have to at least see what I’m changing, and my range isn’t even close to god-like. If some schmuck with a grenade was within a hundred yards of me, sure, I could just change the grenade into a rock or a nerf toy. Or make it explode in his hand. Which I’d done already and let me tell you, that isn’t fun at all, because when I did change some reality I saw it. Up close and as if I was tapping the person on the shoulder to let them know I’d fucked them up.

I knew I was going to be sick when this was over.

The ceiling hit me again.

Which told me that damned telepath was back.

“You’re a lot more dangerous that we’d thought, little girl.” His voice whispered through my mind and showed a hint of real admiration. “But it’s time to put away your toys and go to sleep.”

“This is bullshit.” I told myself as my eyes got heavy and I had to fight to just stay upright and awake while I told him. “I’ve stood off better than you, ass hole. Come up and try to make me do that when I can see you.”

“Oh, that would be no fun at all, little girl.” His sweet soothing voice answered in my mind.

The scene in the hallway I was facing wavered for a moment, still a bloody nasty mess, but different and I tapped Kelly lightly on the shoulder and pointed. “There.”

One round and that was over with. The telepath’s head exploded as the high velocity round hit and that annoyance was gone for good.

What? You thought I was going to walk out there and do something stupidly heroic? Evans’s mama — even if she was my step mother, didn’t raise a damned fool. If I didn’t absolutely have to risk death, there was no way I was going to step right into the grim reaper’s path if I could help it. there is a good reason heros don't hang around once the fighting is done and it isn't because they're happily screwing the maiden they rescued. Think about that one.

* * * *

That didn’t win the battle. How egocentric do you think I am to even start believing that what I had done with Kelly’s help would have made everyone else stop shooting at people they didn’t recognize as one of their own?

The action was still a bloody, screaming mess like any other battle that had happened in history. People that didn’t deserve it died, people that should have died if the gods were paying attention survived. But we took the facility.

* * * *

Torrance and I exchanged looks. No congratulations, no jubilation. We’d done the job. That was all. The butcher’s bill had been paid and neither one of us really liked the cost, but both of us knew it was something we couldn’t change.

“Yancy.” I don’t know when we’d reached first name status, but we had, and the Airborne colonel gave me a questioning look as I went on. “Good job. Drinks are on me for everyone.”

He nodded then grinned. “I’ll sneak one to you if I can, Luce.”

“This time I’d take it.” I told him while sighing as I seated myself. “Just don’t send me one of those girly drinks with the umbrella and fruit floating in it if you don’t mind?”

“Straight Scotch, no ice.” He told me and chuckled. “I really want to see you the first time you taste that.”

“You’re contributing to delinquency of a minor here.” I grinned.

“Hell, Luce, I’ve known grown men who aren’t near as adult as you are.” He told me while pouring something into a shot glass and handing it to me. “Drink up.”

I did. My eyes watered, I tried to choke when my throat attempted to close up, and my stomach burned with that cargo of liquid fire for a few seconds.

The fucker laughed at me. Then poured me another one.

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That's what I'm talking about

Enemyoffun's picture

I love it when the action is just perfect for the story that's being told. Its not over the top and its not too underwhelming. Its just the right blend.

So is that the end of the Arizona site?

Yes.

the Arizona site is gone as far as Carson and his cronies are concerned. And the place is a real mess in the physical sense.

Yes, I freely admit...

I loved Luce's solution to the problem telepath. Excellent (and believable) decision by her to not go mano a mano.

-A

Maggie,

ALISON

'you took me back more years than I care to remember.The sound of a round of ammo going past your ear is not music.Fantastic action writing
again,raising the blood pressure and adrenalin and making us feel as if we are there with Luce and her team.

ALISON

Probability warpers...

Would be one of the greatest ways to clean up 'messes'.

Using this site for an example, all she'd have to do is walk through the entire site, and could remove all damage - she probably couldn't put data back on the machines, but at least the physical structures would be back to usefulness. Heck, she could probably create a new one in a mountain by just closing her eyes and walking forward, imagining what it should look like. (If you haven't read them, pick up The Time Bender, and The World Shuffler, by Keith Laumer, and you'll see some examples)

Toxic waste sites could be cleaned up in a hurry, as well as radioactive materials.

Keep up the fun - I don't know of any of your stories that I've disliked :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

or perhaps

warheads into whales?
Diana

Oh no, not plants...

Diesel Driver's picture

To quote a favorite fictional character of mine, Louis Wu, "You don't have to be very smart to sneak up on a leaf." That's pretty close anyway. He's discussing the need for intelligence with Nessus, a Peirson's Puppeteer. (See Ringworld, by Larry Niven)

Chris in CA

Chris

phzzt click

It's the round you don't hear that kills you.
I've had a lot of rounds go over my head, snapping and whistling like angry Chinese fireworks.
Your story is nicely portrayed by someone who actually hasn't been there.

I don't think I could write an action scene - there's too many things going on and nothing - you don't think in those circumstances - you react.
I watched Jason Bourne - he's pretty close to where you are in a situation - reactive without thinking.
I was taught to shoot. I have a talent for it - better than Dirty Harry by a margin of hundreds of percent. But I couldn't write about it as an action sequence.
The following is true
I lay there once - when I was about 32 - hadn't shot a weapon for years... long after my service time. I went to a shooting club that shot 'full bore' 7.62mm NATO - .308
Someone gave me a rifle and said smugly, "lets see how you do".
There was a 'pool shoot' for spot.Hit the spot and you scoop the pool of however much the rounds had been bought for or a share if more than one hit the spot. That is the spot about the size of the zero on your keyboard; 300 yards away.
I hadn't shot for maybe ten years. I hit the spot 6 times out of ten, open sight (diopter). I was the only person to hit it that afternoon, there were twelve people there, we were shooting for 3 hours.
I wasn't invited to join their team. Nor did I want to.
That wasn't shooting. Nor was it a test.
I went out West with a 44 magnum Ruger Redhawk and shot pigs in the scrub - that was shooting. Trouble was, I could hit a pig 200 yards away with it. open sights single handed - and I was transitioned then too. A weak girl -- Clint Eastwood eat your heart out.
I've shot 'roos out at 450 yards with a 243 over the top of a car roof (well I did use support if it was available) 2 heart shots - they were just standing there in the long grass - I could see perhaps the top of their torso - about the size of a wastepaper bin. The weather was 30+ Celsius (86f)with heat haze over dry scrub.
Metahuman? - maybe.
Talented - no doubt.
Put that in the hands of a developed metahuman and you can do a lot. Don't play down the amount of available talent out there - we're really very good at being good at something.
I agree most who shoot for a security situation are pretty dismal - including police - I've watched them shoot for their badge and personally I've only ever met one police officer who showed enough talent to deserve a sidearm.
Even trained people seldom feel comfortable using firearms. If rounds are coming back - or danger is apparent, then most can't cut the mustard.
I was in the top three smallbore marksmen in UK in 1969 - I was 17. I hadn't shot before I was 17.
Why am I telling you all this? I've no idea. Just that I feel for the Center - I was different too, and I changed my sex as well.

I hear you. Couldn't ever

I hear you. Couldn't ever understand how a cop couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when they give lessons and let you practice as much as you want. On their own range.

While in the Army it came time to shoot for my qualification, the only target I didn't hit on the first round was the 300 meter target because I simply couldn't see it. Every other target, hit first time. Because I didn't fire on the 300 meter target at all, I qualified as "Sharpshooter". When we used the relative size silhouettes at a later time, I qualified as "Expert". I think I missed with one round.

The .45s they had sucked though. 5 meters away, couldn't hit a human sized target to save my life, that slide was that loose. Put the bullet all over the place.
----
May the Stars Light Your Path
Maid Joy
http://i-know-i-know-but.net/

Worn

While in Korea in the 80's some of the .45's we had were so worn that if you held the grip with your thumb and forefinger and shook it they would rattle.

It takes training and more training to get someone to the point where they simply react as they should and not freak while in stressful conditions. That is after all what training is all about, to give you the reaction you need into muscle memory so you can't foul it up by thinking too much.

Luce is a very dangerous opponent. I wouldn't doubt that telepaths and dominators will start to avoid that young lady. On the other hand that means some other means is going to be tried to take her out. As one of WO Keys right hand hmmm persons, she's a prime target. Somehow I can't see her making it easy for them.

Great story Maggie!

hugs!

Grover

Won't lie

I always had troubles qualify on the M16A2 for me part of my problem is that weapon is just to dam lite. Another trouble I jerk the trigger to much. But if you gave me hand grandes or 40mm and a M203 attached to the M16A2 At least with the grande parts I was one point away from expert every time.

Yours truly

Arina

The Center: Children of the Tainted Water chapter 8

I wonder what will happen to the two fallen Syndicate sites? And a probabiliy warper if linked to a super sensoory person or had access to satelite coverage along with telepaths to see if anybody was in the targetted area could effectively play god. Good thing that there is no warper/dominator.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wow. I've a new respect for Laramie

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Wow. I've a new respect for Laramie after reading of the cost of her using her healing powers.

I liked the way you delivered the climatic battle almost anti-climatically (I don't mean that negatively!). You avoided the obvious one-on-one duel for something much more ingenious. Your writing never ceases to surprise me Maggie.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I thought it was established earlier

It was in Chapter 1 or Chapter 2, I think, when Laramie was treating the newest arrival. There was a mention of bruises going away from Laramie's face.

It was also why I was not surprised she could not heal the vivisected children - she could not have survived the experience. If only Liz was there at the time... And I'm not even sure what would have been more effective, for that matter - Liz AND Laramie healing the same person, or Laramie using her power of Wound Transfer and Liz using her power of Healing to bolster Laramie's power of Regeneration. The latter, I think.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

A cultural thing?

Again, I must ask, why is alcohol such an accepted 'remedy' for a 'celebration' or for 'destressing'? I find the effects annoying and irritating ( don't get me started with Nyquil, the alcohol in it totally ruined my night's sleep ) so it confuses me how it exactly 'smooths out the rough edges'. And yes, I've been in stressful situations yet the idea of using alcohol as a reliever never occurs to me.

I guess I am trying to figure out why a minor (Luce) should be encouraged to drink, is that to make her seem more 'adult' in the eyes of the people around her? I am suggesting that though alcohol is a socially accepted drug, I would like to see as little of it as possible in stories involving minors.

Kim

Err no offence...

And of course that is always followed up with "but". So no offence but minors drink alcohol and minors do drugs. I come from a very safe little town but I had friends drinking themselves silly at 15 and smoking pot at 14, others drank socially and never over indulged. Drugs, of any kind, shouldn't be omitted from a story because a minor imbibes them. They're a fact. Alcohol for social occasions may be imbibed because a person likes the taste, or maybe they just like the loose feeling it gives them, or maybe they want to get smashed, or (yes) perhaps they just want to fit in.

Alcohol is a drug, it's classified as such. But to ignore the reality of any sort of drug, because the person is a "minor", is kinda silly to me. "Minor" is an open interpretation as well. Around here a minor is under 16. For alcohol it's 19, in other places a consenting adult can allow a kid to drink as young as 14. Personally, I think any right minded teenager can choose what they will or won't drink. It's unrealistic to think any teenager won't drink, that's almost Diseny-esque in naivety.

one time thing.

Probably will see no more of that for Luce. She can't even drink coffee without going all hyper, so she will be extremely careful with any kind of drugs, even the prescription kind. But just this once, I slipped and let it happen.

Sounds like

Sounds like you (Kimmie) personally have a different sort of reaction to alcohol than the norm, which can occur due to different metabolisms or allergies. As a result, you're imposing an inaccurate set of feeling and sensations to the situation onto those who find it pleasant. And yes... many people do find it pleasant, otherwise there'd be a whole lot fewer problems with people drinking to excess or without control.

As to the military perspective of drinking after a mission... one of the more common effects is that you have a much lower capacity for critical thinking, which lets you stop thinking about the death and injuries you caused or were caused to people you knew and cared about. Drinking is a 'shortcut' to living in the now... not a healthy method of getting there... but sometimes the only way people have.

But minors drinking? I don't have any personal issues with minor's drinking... where this DOES bother me is when its done without holding those minors responsible for their actions when they do so. A great deal of the attraction to alcohol when you are under age is the fact that its forbidden... and it is associated with having wild parties. Taken from the context of one leader to another... the offer of a couple drinks is a sign of respect and an acknowledgment of her position. She may be physically aged below what we legally consider adulthood... but is there any doubt in anyone's mind that she's acting in that role?

The idea of an arbitrary age at which people are permitted to drink (or smoke cigarettes, too), is one of those things that is far more about bureaucracy than common sense. It's a sore point with many members of the military in the US, actually... that you can serve your country, even be injured or die for it, for several years before that same country will permit you to imbibe alcohol.

Kristin Darken

Well yes and no

For some folks, it is prudent to wait as the adolescent brain is still developing. This can lead to a life time of vulnerability to alcoholism as the brain is shaped to respond to such stimuli. Asians ( remember the American Indians and 'fire water?' ) in particular has a huge ( at least 40% population last heard ) of a lack of the 2nd enzyme to completely process alcohol. So yes, large number of Asians should be cheap dates. And yes for those few who do not know, I am Asian.

Yes, I had ( HAD ) a partner who drank starting when she was 11 or 12 - not just beer mind you ) and yes she has the disease and has never managed to stop drinking more than 9 months. It is also shown in studies that the adolescent brain does not always make the wisest choices yet you are saying they should still be held responsible to their choice even if they know their genetic history might make them vulnerable to become lifelong addicts of some substance. That is why they are considered 'minors'. By inference, adolescents in a certain age range, different for all people, may very well be slightly non-compus mentis and thus needs a guardian to make some decisions for them ( re Parents. )

BTW - Here is a link to a PDF on this subject: http://www.abanet.org/crimjust/juvjus/Adolescence.pdf

Basically the conclusion is that the age of culpability may very well be 21 and that also means soldiers should very well be 21 before being drafted. BTW, the fact that a person is permitted to do one thing does not necessarily mean that they have the qualifications to have sound judgment in all adult matters. Yes, 18 year olds can kill, so can 12 year olds, but that does not necessarily mean they have the judgment to do other things correctly yet.

All addictive substances which interact which the pleasure pathways ( or dopamine if I am correct ) may very well be playing with Russian roulette. At that point, can that person really take responsibility any more? That is the very disease model hard addicts are classified in.

Kim

Last thought on the subject

Does one really want a person with Luce's power to be drunk and out of control?

Kim

Just Right

terrynaut's picture

This chapter kept me on the edge of my seat. The battle was intense!

I really liked Luce's private battle with the telepath. She kept her attacks fairly simple and subtle when she really could've let loose. It's a matter of using just enough force. Very nice.

Having Kris show up in the middle was a little confusing but I liked the sentiment.

Thank for another exciting chapter.

- Terry

sometimes a little

sedation is required, and you handled it well. Luce is a very excellent field commander.

4 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 5 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Your way with words

Diesel Driver's picture

Maggie,

Your way with words and understanding and portrayal of the human condition is, has been and continues to be, ASTONISHING!!!

Thanks
Chris in CA

Chris