Together

Printer-friendly version
Together
by Wren Phoenix
It's my first story, so much to learn yet!

“Hey, there he is! Hey, Terry!”

The tall, dark haired young man turned to see the three freshmen running towards him.

“Could you please explain to us how you beat the professor’s trick question?”

He smiled. “It was just lucky. I was trying to analyze the situation, so I tried looking at it from the shipper’s point of view, and I couldn’t make any sense of it. That told me that I had misunderstood the real question. When I looked at it again, I could see that the professor was really asking an entirely
different question.”

“He was surprised when you brought it up in class! ‘Mister Prince, well done, sir!’ You really made an impression on him!”

“Yeah, almost as cool as that impression you made on Jimmy Davis when you scored that goal on him at the soccer game!”

“That was so cool! I was sure he was going to block the shot, and you made it look so easy!”

“Maybe it looked like that, but Jim Davis is a great goaltender. I thought he might have blocked it, too.”

Everyone was startled when a Campus Security officer drove up in his golf cart, calling Terry’s name.

“Terry Prince? Would you please come with us? I’m sorry, but there has been an incident, and the city police need to talk to you.”

Terry got in with the Officer, who was quiet on the short ride to the Campus Security Office.

When they got there Terry was surprised to see his fiancée’s Great Aunt Ruby in the office. She was quite old, but wore her years fairly well, although Terry could see that she seemed much more tired than he had ever seen her, and her eyes seemed very bloodshot. His heart began to pound wildly. Where was Jenny? He was very afraid.

“Miss Ruby? What’s going on?”

“Be strong, boy, 'cause this is gonna hurt. That little Coffee Shop was robbed today, and the thief, he took Jenny as a hostage. She’s been raped, and he beat her up, really bad. She’s in the hospital, but Terry, they don’t think she will make it through the night!” She broke into tears, but Terry just held her and patted her back, quietly.

His entire world had fallen apart. He and Jenny had been friends since they had met at the grief counselor’s office after the death of their parents in a catastrophic flood, three years ago. They had supported each other through all the funerals and the counseling.

She loved his deep amber eyes that seemed to gleam with a little mischief. He could sit with her forever, stroking her chocolate brown hair and talking about everything that came to mind. His favorite thing was her smile. She always put her whole heart into her smile, and no matter how depressed he felt, her smile fixed almost everything.

When they got to the hospital, Terry couldn’t go into her room. The Doctor had told them of the list of injuries she had received. He told them that he didn’t know how she could have survived as long as she had, but Terry knew.

She was waiting to say goodbye to him.

Ruby sat with him and held his hand. She knew that Terry lived for her grand-niece, and she feared for him. Something told her that without her, he would soon be gone as well. Her heart ached for the two of them.

A pretty young nurse with a name tag that read “Leslie” came out of intensive care, and told them that there might be very little time left. Her eyes were red, as she knew how hard it was going to be on the gentle young man. Leslie hated this job sometimes, as the emotions often overwhelmed her.

She knew the young couple from school, and she couldn’t believe that God could be so cruel as to destroy two such happy lives.

Ruby had an idea, remembering something her Granny had told her long ago. It was not going to be an easy thing to arrange. Still, it just barely might be possible, if He was willing, that is, and if it suited His purposes. She knew what had to be done on her part, but all she could do was pray, for now.

Gently , she put her hand on Terry’s shoulder, and then slowly but firmly led him into the room.

He knew that he had to do this. He had to let Jenny go, but saying goodbye was almost more than he could bear. As they went to her bedside, Terry took a last look at Jenny and broke down, falling to his knees and praying silently with all of his heart for God to take him, too.

Ruby gathered her strength, took Jenny’s hand in her ancient left hand and Terry’s hand with her right, and said three quiet words. Suddenly, the room exploded with a light that nearly blinded Nurse Leslie. Shielding her eyes with her hands, she tried to make out what was happening. A fifth being stood in the room with them, and she caught a quick glimpse of the most loving face she could have ever imagined. Leslie knew that she would never in her life see anything so beautiful. It was more than she could stand, and she lost consciousness.

She awoke to the concerned face of another Nurse. There was no light but the muted morning sunlight coming through the window. All of the electricity seemed to be out, even the emergency backups, and it was very quiet. On the bed were two bodies, but they were nearly unrecognizable as such. They weren’t burnt, but they seemed to fall apart, as if they were nothing but powder. The Doctors believed that they were the bodies of Jenny and Ruby, but what had happened to Terry?

When Leslie told her story, she left out the vision of the fifth person, but she knew that her life had changed irrevocably. She decided right there that she would become a hospice nurse, in the hope of someday getting another glimpse of that face that she had seen just before she had passed out.

As the Hospital staff began the process of investigating the event, and cleaning up the ICU, a beautiful young brunette woman with dark amber eyes, hair like melted chocolate and a smile that made everyone feel better walked out of the Hospital. She wore a coral sweater over a cream blouse with a beige skirt that almost came to her knees, sheer hose and low beige heels. She stopped to help an elderly man get his wife out of her wheelchair and into her car.

“Hello, my name is Terri, you seem to be having some problems, and I would like to help, if I can?”

Something about this lovely girl made them trust her. Her eyes seemed to glow with Intelligence , friendliness, and perhaps just a little mischief.

This was going to be different, she thought.

From deep inside of her mind, another voice inside of her giggled. "And you don’t even know the half of it, yet!"

Terri smiled, and everything was all right, again.

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You grabbed my attention from the start

Andrea Lena's picture

and you didn't let go...even at the end.

Her eyes seemed to glow with Intelligence , friendliness, and perhaps just a little mischief.

These assets don't really seem to be any surprise because they were apparent even before everything took place. Simply a great beginning. Welcome and congratulations. Thank you!

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank You!

I was very worried about how this would stand up to criticism. Thank you for your encouragement!

Wren

Excellent start!

This was intriguing, keep up the good work!

Thanks!

I am so happy you enjoyed it! Thank you for your comment!

Wren

Welcome to the author's club!

Angharad's picture

A different sort of story, but one which grabbed me early and held me thoughout. A nice start.

Angharad

Angharad

Thank you!

I confess to being surprised that it has been well recieved so far. I am so impressed with the stories I read here!

Wren

Trinity

It is always the way Love, and Light, that bring about healing. I look forward to reading more of your work.

3 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 5 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Thanks, Desiree!

This has been amazing! I hope I do as well with my next story!

Wren

That was nice

littlerocksilver's picture

I hope that maybe I had a small part in helping you create.

Portia

Portia

I am your Fan!

I will always be in your debt! I hope you enjoyed it! Small part? No, my friend, so much more! Thank you again!

Love,
Wren

Different!

Two souls sharing one body, which in itself combines elements of the two young lovers.

What an interesting combination. A very unusual redemption from the jaws of despair.

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thank you for your comment!

My friends say that I "think funny", because I see things in a strange way. Thank you for the encouragement, and I hope to continue to be worthy of your interest!

Wren

Okay I liked

the way this had started and I'm really liking the introduction to the character of Terri at the end of this. I'm looking forward to more.

Bailey Summers

Thanks Bailey!

I'd love to write more about Terri, but I'm not sure I will. This was a dream I had, and I'm not sure where to go from here. You never know, though. As some of you know, I HATE to see the end of a story or character (Although, as in Portia Bennet's California Saga, it can seem so natural and real- still, I always hope for more!).

Wren

Welcome!

A cute, if not fully rationalized excursion into the occult. It may not be my favorite type of story, but I can recognize talent when I see it. Creative, coherent, and literate, you'll no doubt make a good addition to the authors here! Let me add my "welcome" to the others'!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Thanks, Pippa!

You have a good point about it not being rationalized, however, I did that on purpose. I thought that rather than describe the process, which could easily be torn apart by my betters, I just presented it as happening. As they say, better to be silent and be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it. I have to admit, I've always enjoyed a more straight forward style of story (ok, I like magic and mystery sometimes, too), but as I said before, this was a dream that I couldn't resist writing about. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, and I thank you for your compliments!

Together

Where True Love is concerned, miracles happenn. Hope that they are happy together.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks!

I hope that it came accross this way, but in my mind, they became the form they did so that every morning Terri would be able to see his beloved. I have seen that you often help the newbies, and I assure you, I will probably be writing to you at some poiunt. Thanks!

Wren

Interesting

Interesting. I hope there is more to follow. New Author.
Congratulations on your first story.

Kaptin Nibbles

Right back atcha!

As I said, maybe! I know, I did the same to you, but I felt your story was a bit stronger and had a better lead in to a sequel. Congrats to you, too!

Wren

Hi Wren

A situation that we all dread, turned into a beacon of hope.
A step we all wish we could manage when the worst of things come to pass.
In fact when someone does pass, we all DO take something of them forward and we never forget them.

In this case a new and better combination has been found - nothing is lost - Ruby has gone to a better place and our young lovers are together til the end.

Thank you!

I have always believed that I am nothing more than all my hopes, dreams, loves and experiences, re-presented in a way that is different but somehow familiar. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Wren

Wonderful start

I really enjoyed your story I hope to read more of this one, and many more stories!

love needs to be unconditional

love needs to be unconditional

You know...

There seems to be a movement to continue this. I may have to see where this goes! Thanks, I hope to keep your interest in the future!

Wren

I read this before

but that was before I started leaving comments on every story I liked.

I liked this one. Strange though, definitely strange. A different point of view.

Thank the solo story display for bringing it up again.