Randi and the College Professor - Chapters 12, 13 & 14 (Conclusion)

Printer-friendly version
Randi and the College Professor — Chapters 12, 13 & 14

By Portia Bennett

We have learned quite a bit about Betty and her origin; however, it remains to be seen what she can do in her confrontation against the combined forces of the Lewis’s, Brewers, Schmedlaps, and others. If the good guys win, what is going to happen with Betty. What are the implications of a rogue witch?


 

If you haven’t read the previous stories about Cindy, Bobbie, and the rest and how they arrived where they are now, you should probably read them. Start with An Incremental Journey, Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend, Cynthia and the Dumpster Diver, Cynthia and the Moment of Truth, Cynthia and the High School Years — Parts 1 & 2 & Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling.

I have researched the Spell’s—R-Us Universe diligently and cannot find anything that violates it, other than that The Wizard is a bit kinder and gentler than sometimes reported. Don’t get me wrong. Given an opening, The Wizard could resort to some of his more ironic and nasty transformations. I’m sure that could happen at any time.

Holly did an outstanding job of fixing my punctuation errors and occasional wanderings into gibberish. She does a great job figuring out what I really meant.

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Randi and the College Professor, Chapters 12, 13 & 14

 

Chapter 12 — Back at the Restaurant

Betty cast another obscuring spell, but it seemed to have no affect. She was momentarily distracted by a bag lady rummaging through the dumpster at the back of the restaurant removing aluminum cans and flattening them before putting them in a large canvas bag. The lady was old and bent over, and obviously presented no threat.

The group in the parking lot was another matter.

In addition to the five from the restaurant, there was Frank’s ‘ex’ girlfriend, two women who appeared to be in their late 30’s or early 40’s, and two older women who were perhaps in their 60’s or 70’s. As she watched, two more women appeared from between the cars. One had to be the older sister of Frank’s girlfriend. She was pregnant, as was the redhead who stood next to her. Two young men in their late 20’s or early 30’s were accompanying the two pregnant ladies. Betty couldn’t read any of them. Suddenly, she realized she was in way over her head.

‘Marvin, we’ve got to do something. What can we do?’

‘How about using a very strong sleep spell? I think I can make it strong enough to stun them.'

“It won’t work, Betty, our shields are too strong,” Marissa had obviously picked up their mental conversation.

The bag lady had apparently retrieved all the aluminum she was able to get and started walking toward the road. The obscuring spell had obviously worked, as she was paying no attention to the tense situation in the parking lot. Her bag was heavy and she had to set it down after traveling only a few feet. She was gasping for breath with the asthmatic wheeze of a heavy smoker. After resting for about thirty seconds, she picked up the sack and slung it over her shoulder. She didn’t get fifty feet before she had to set it down again about five or six feet behind Betty.

Neither Betty nor Marvin ever saw the head of a platinum gray tabby cat poke out of the bag. The little cat, the most beautiful and intelligent cat in the world by the way, launched herself at the shoulder of the woman in front of her.

“Betty!” Marvin screamed.

Betty had felt the attack, but it was over before she could react.

“Betty, it’s going to kill me!” Marvin screamed again, as the cat raced with him in her jaws to hide in the crowd.

‘Marvin, if you move as much as a whisker, I just might. Just hold still. Everything is going to be okay.’

‘You’re going to kill my Betty.”

‘No one is going to get hurt. Just relax. I have a good grip on your neck, but I won’t hurt you unless you make me.’

Betty was terrified. She tried to cast a stun spell, but it fell to the pavement like the water from a weak squirt gun. She knew it was over. She turned and ran for the cemetery. She had to find a place to hide.

“I’ll get her, Mom,” Randi said.

“Don’t be too hard on her. She doesn’t have a clue what she’s up against.”

“I’ll be gentle.” Randi took off at a slow jog after the figure that was disappearing in the darkness of the trees and tomb-stones. She returned ten minutes later, alone.

“You let her get away?” Marti exclaimed.

“No, I didn’t, she’s right here.” Randi placed a small, rectangular block on the ground. “She ran into this crypt. I just shrank it and slowed time down in it. She’s fine.

“So what do we do about her?”

“I guess we need to get her to remove the spell on Frank and his family,” Marissa said looking at Frank, who hadn’t moved for the last thirty minutes.

“I’ll get her.” Randi suddenly started shrinking until she was no more than an inch tall. Then she walked into the crypt.

***********************

Randi walked into the small room to meet a sobbing and cowering Betty. A quick, simple little spell lighted some candles that suddenly appeared.

“Betty, I’m Randi Lewis. I know we’ve met before, but we haven’t been properly introduced.”

“Go ahead and kill me. I know you can. Just let me go be with Marvin.”

“Betty, why would we want to do that? You haven’t done that much. We just need to fix a few things.” Randi sat on the marble bench next to Betty. “You didn’t know about us, did you?”

“No, how many of you are there?”

“There are about two hundred of us in the New England Coven. There are nearly 300 in the New York and New Jersey Covens, and I guess you are one more. There are several thousand across the country, and many more around the world. Our numbers are finally getting stronger.”

“What are you going to do to me?”

“Betty, we are not going to hurt you. You can count on that.”

“But, you killed Marvin,” Betty sobbed. “He was my only friend.”

“Marvin is fine,” Randi listened for a few seconds. “Right now he is getting acquainted with Maddy, Silky, Chloe, Selene, and Petra. You’ll like them.

“We have to do something about this spell you put on Frank and his family. Then we have to talk about some other things. You’re a strong witch, and I have a feeling that you have no idea how strong you are.”

“I can’t be very strong. You certainly didn’t have any trouble with me.”

“Well, you’ve never had any training to speak of, though we’ve seen some indications that you can do quite a bit. The other thing is that we are very strong, especially Mom, and we have a mentor who is extremely powerful.”

“I found a book, and I was learning. Marvin and I both were.” She paused for a moment. “Why can’t I have Frank? He loves me now. You’re pretty. You could have anyone.”

“Betty, real love can never be taken. It can only be given. You have tried to take a love that was not yours to have. There are a number of problems because of what you tried to do. You see, Frank is a carrier of the witch trait. If he marries a witch, there can be all sorts of problems if love isn’t involved. The marriage will only work if there is genuine love on the part of both parties. His Wisdom said that if one or both parties were under a spell, there could be disastrous results. He hasn’t told us exactly what might happen, but I have a feeling it wouldn’t be good.

“Frank’s love for me and my love for him is genuine. The ring you tried to take from me is full of very strong magic. You never would have been able to wear it, even if you had been able to get it.”

“Randi, I don’t think I can do anything about Frank or his family. I don’t know how to remove the spell. It was something I discovered. It just came to me.”

Randi pondered that for a few seconds. “Oh dear, we may have to get some help from His Wisdom.”

“Who is this Wisdom you keep talking about?”

“He is a very good friend. You will like him.”

“But, I’m your enemy. I tried to destroy your happiness. I tried to hurt you.”

“That didn’t, and wouldn’t have happened. There are too many of us, and we are too strong.

“We have never intended to hurt you, Betty. We just want to get things back the way they were.

“We’ve learned a lot about you over the last few hours. You never had a family, did you?”

“No, I grew up in a girls’ school. That’s all I remember, all I know. I couldn’t leave until I was eighteen. That was part of the terms of the support agreement. I’ve been out only three years.”

“You never knew your mother or father?”

“I think I saw my mother once or twice. I never knew who my father was, but they said it wasn’t her husband. My mother died when I was about three.”

“I’m so sorry. You’ve never really had a family?”

“Not one that I would claim, although the school would state otherwise.”

“Well, that stops right now. We are your family. Betty, your mind is like an open book, and I know what you went through. One of these days you will learn how to close it. What you’ve been through over the years is unforgivable. You deserved so much better. You have so much to learn.

“Would you like a fresh start?”

“What do you mean by a ‘fresh start’?”

“I mean, would you like to have your girlhood over? Would you like to grow up with a mother and father, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles?”

“How could that happen? I’m 21.”

“Believe me, it can be done. I’ve seen it happen several times. I was born on a different Earth than this one. I died here, and was reborn here. My mother is the older blonde lady who talked to you. Some of us were boys who became women. It was our choice. One of us was a girl who became a boy. Fortunately, there are many more of us who were in the correct sex to begin with.

“Enough of this talk: you need to come with me and meet your new family.”

“Randi, I’m scared. I have not been a nice person. I mean, you could turn me into a toad or something like that.”

“That will never happen. If anyone is turned into a toad, it will be me. I haven’t always been the best little witch.”

“What about my magic? Are you going to take that away from me? What about Marvin? We’re real close.”

“We certainly don’t want to take away your magic. That’s much too much a precious thing. You and Marvin will always be together. He is your familiar, and you belong to each other. We won’t do anything without your approval. Let’s talk to everyone and see what they think.”

Randi hugged Betty, then kept her in her warm embrace and kissed her as Betty started to sob again. The sobs gradually subsided.

“May I fix your makeup? Your mascara’s run all over the place.”

“I guess so, but where is the makeup? You don’t have your purse, and I seem to have lost mine.”

“Just hold still a second, I know a few tricks.”

It took only a few seconds and all signs of makeup damage were erased.

“There, you look just fine. Come on. No magic now, promise?”

“I promise.”

Randi took Betty’s hand. “Don’t be frightened when you first step out. Things won’t look right to you for a few seconds. I’ve done a little thing with space-time.”
”ƒ
Chapter 13 — The Solution

The group of witches, husbands, children and friends were sitting in some of the patio chairs in the outdoor dining area at the rear of the restaurant. They knew their presence would be intimidating, and being seated when Randi and Betty emerged would reduce the intimidation factor. The men had carried Frank from the parking lot, and he was standing beside one of the tables, still silent. He hadn’t moved on his own.

Two tiny figures emerged from the crypt, then rapidly returned to their normal size. Betty looked at the group and was met with nothing but smiles. That is, except for Frank, who still hadn’t moved. Randi took Betty to her mother who stood as the girls approached.

Sally stepped over to the little stone building, picked it up, and looked at it for a moment before peering across the street into the darkness. Then she just dropped it, except that it never dropped. It started floating toward the cemetery, gradually returning to its original size. There was a slight thud as it returned to its correct location.

“Welcome to our family dear, precious Betty,” Marissa said as she enfolded Betty in her arms while giving her a kiss. “I know this is a bit much for you, but you have nothing to worry about. We need to fix a few things, and then figure out how you are going to fit in.” She proceeded to introduce Betty to all of the extended family. Each one greeted Betty with a hug and kiss. Marvin introduced the cats to her. Queen Maddy was first, and she apologized for making Betty think that she had killed Marvin. They’d just had to separate the two and keep things confused enough so that they couldn’t coordinate with the spell casting.

“Now we have some serious business to attend to,” Marissa said as everyone took their seats. “Can you release Frank from the paralysis spell? I know that any one of us could, but it’s always better if the spell caster removes the spell. That avoids having to do extra cleanup.”

“Sure.

“Frank, it’s okay to move and talk. Just sit in that empty chair.”

Frank was suddenly furious, “Betty, what in the hell is going on? Who are these people, and where have you been?”

“These are your friends. Don’t you recognize them?”

“They look vaguely familiar, but I certainly don’t know any of them.”

“Mom,” Randi said with a bit of a worried tone, “Betty doesn’t think she can remove the spell she put on Frank. She says she discovered the love spell by accident. It just sort of happened. She was never trained to use it.

“By the way, she found a copy of the primer, and has worked her way through the first two chapters. A love spell like this is chapter five material, and she really complicated things by combining it with a spell to make Frank’s family do what they did. I have a feeling it has spilled all over the place.” Randi turned to Betty. “Do you think you can do anything?”

“I don’t think so. I was so mad that you had taken Frank from me that I may have flown off the handle. I have a feeling that if I try anything now, it might just make matters worse.”

“Mom, we may have to bring The Wizard in on this, but I would like to try something first.” Turning to Betty, she said, “Tell Frank to do what I ask. I have an idea that may be a bit of a cliché, but it might just work.”

“Frank, do what Randi asks you to do.”

“Okay.”

“Hi, Frank, do you remember me?”

“I don’t think so. Should I?”

“Do you remember this ring?” Randi showed him the blue diamond engagement ring.

“Yes, I gave it to someone special. You have it. Did I give it to you?”

“Yes, you did.”

“Then you must be special.”

“I’m glad you think so.” Randi was starting to tear up a bit. She raised Frank’s right hand, before interlacing the fingers of her left hand with his. There was a gasp from the crowd as a strong blue light seemed to engulf Randi and Frank’s hand.

“Now kiss me, Frank. Kiss me as if I were the only woman in the world for you.”

“But, Betty’s ….”

“It’s okay, Frank, just kiss me.”

He did. At first it was like a shy teenager on his first date. But after a while, there seemed to be a bit more passion in it. The ring began to glow furiously. Soon a blue glow seemed to envelop the two as the kiss went on and on.

They finally came up for air.

“Randi, I had the most horrid dream. I dreamed I didn’t love you anymore. It was awful.”

“I’m right here, Frank, and I will always love you. I think I need another kiss.” The glow continued to brighten, and something not missed by Marissa and a few others was that a piece of the blue light seemed to break off and settle on Betty. It was quickly absorbed.

In a town in Connecticut a ball of blue light emerged from a makeup table drawer, engulfing the husband and wife who were sleeping there. Smaller portions of the light disappeared through the walls. There were some additional repairs to be made.

***********************

Evelyn and Esmeralda said goodnight, and just disappeared. The restaurant had long before closed its doors, and the members of the group were sipping their drinks and discussing the night’s events. Betty had been cornered by the young woman who had pulled off the bag lady act so convincingly. It was Ginny Chronister, and she had another task to perform.

“Bobbie’s grandmother came by my house a couple of days ago and said I was needed here. She said that The Wizard was in another universe, or he would be able to get me here immediately. She did pull a few magic strings and we had first class tickets from San Francisco to Boston. My husband had a few days off and the grandparents hadn’t seen their grandson in a while, so we told them we were coming for a few days visit. We left our little boy with the grandparents and ostensibly, Richard and I were having dinner with the Lewis’s tonight.”

“I don’t get it; neither you nor your husband is magic, yet you dropped everything to come here and help them?”

“Cindy and Bobbie saved my life, and Randi helped me adjust to my new one. They gave me so much, and they made my new family whole again. The original Ginny had died a couple of months before. I am genetically identical to her. I don’t know how they did it, but I don’t ask too many questions. They gave me the life I had desired for more than seventy years. I will do anything within my power for them. My husband knows my story, but the rest of my family never will know.

“These are good people, Betty. You can trust them to be compassionate and do the right things. There are some things in store for you. It may be difficult for you to accept at first, but what they have in mind is the best way for you. They don’t want you to lose your powers, nor do they want Marvin to lose his. However, if you don’t accept their offer, you are going to find yourself like you were a few months ago, except you will have no magic powers, or memory of what has gone on. Marvin will just be another pet with a short life span.

“Betty, your life will not be very pleasant if you choose that route. I know it’s not all your fault; however, most likely you will end up like your mother, using your body to get what you want. Think about how you got to where you were before these wonderful people intervened. What sort of life were you looking forward to?

“You have a gift, a very powerful gift. If you learn to use it properly, there will be many rewards for you and others. Being able to use magic in a good way requires a special combination of family, instruction, and love. You were shortchanged on all of those.”

What had started out as a pleasant conversation was beginning to get very serious. “Why are you telling me this, you’re not magic? Why aren’t they telling me these things?”

“Maybe because we’re a bit closer; neither of us grew up in a magic environment. Plus, I’ve experienced what they can do. Marissa is in charge right now, and she won’t pull any punches with you. I’ll leave you with this. They are not going to punish you. They are going to offer you a life: a life far better than what you’ve experienced up to now. They won’t take anything from you. You will still be you. You are just going to see things from a little different perspective.”

Things seemed to fall into a lull and Marissa spoke up. “I want to thank everyone for their help tonight. I think it would be best if we went back to the hotel or wherever we are staying. We all need some sleep before we head home. We’ll see everyone at the house for dinner tomorrow night.

She turned to Betty, Frank, Randi, Bobbie and Cindy. “We need to go to Betty’s place. There are still some things we need to take care of.”

The drive was short, and there was little conversation. Andy, Sally and Don followed in a second car. Betty could feel her anxiety building. Cindy reached over, took her hand and gave a gentle squeeze. “It’s going to be alright. You’ll see.”

Betty’s apartment was spacious, but sterile. She had a desktop computer and laptop on a desk at one side and there was an entertainment center along the other wall. Prominently placed next to the computer was the magic primer.

Bobbie went to the kitchen and prepared some special tea. That wasn’t too strange, except Betty didn’t have any tea in her kitchen.

Marissa picked up the primer. “Betty, you were very lucky to have found this. It’s an early edition, and in the best condition of any I’ve seen. You will love learning from it. I enjoyed mine, still do, for that matter. This is part of a three volume set. When you’re ready for volumes two and three, you may use mine.

“Now, as Randi said earlier, your mind has been pretty much an open book to us. That ends tonight. We will respect your right to privacy, and we will never read your mind again unless it is an emergency and you’re in peril, or if you ask one of us to. We will also show you how to shield yourself.

“Before we take care of what has to be done, I need to ask you something. As Ginny told you, there are basically two choices. I know this may seem harsh, but the magic world works by rules that are a bit different than the non-magic society.

“Choice number one is that you stay the way you are; however, you and Marvin will lose your magic, and both of you will forget everything about magic and this current situation.

“Your second choice will allow you and Marvin to keep your magic; however, your education will start over. You will be closely supervised for many years. I guarantee this will happen under conditions far better than those you previously experienced. Do you understand how this will be carried out?”

“Yes.”

“What is your choice?”

“I want to keep my magic. I want to start over.”

“Fine, then that’s the way it will be.

“Men, we ladies have some things to take care of in the bedroom. Pack up her computers and anything else she might need. Don’t forget Marvin’s things.”

Marissa looked at a worried Marvin, who was sitting on the back of the couch with the cats.

“Don’t worry Marvin. Betty will be fine. You will be back together in just a little while.”

One terrified witch surrounded by five other witches moved into the master bedroom. The door closed quietly behind them. The men set to sorting and packing things. There really wasn’t that much. They could hear muffled conversations followed by pregnant pauses. While they waited, there was a quiet knock at the front door of the apartment. Frank opened the door, to be met by The Wizard and Wolf.

Wolf immediately loped over to the cats who greeted him with great affection. Needless to say, Marvin was terrified, and it took a few minutes for the cats to convince Marvin that Wolf meant no harm. It wasn’t too long before Marvin led them to his cache of snacks.

“So, how are things going?” The Wizard had been watching Marvin’s reaction to Wolf before he turned to Frank.

“With me or Betty?”

“How about you, first?”

“I guess I should be very mad, but for some reason I’m not. I’m flattered that she was finally attracted to me; however, I’m pissed that she used magic to try to eliminate my love for Randi and transfer it to her.

“She tried to convince me I had been going to bed with her, and I think she was going to make a major effort to get me to sleep with her tonight. She had convinced me to move to California, and she had created all sorts of false memories in my mind. The thing was I had trouble believing them.”

“That was because they hadn’t happened. You didn’t experience them. If she had been well trained, you probably would have believed that they happened. Fortunately for everyone involved, she was a rank amateur, though a very dangerous and powerful amateur.

“As far as California is concerned, we made a few little adjustments, and things are back to the way they were last week. That includes your project here.

“You need to realize that Betty is the result of a very abusive and neglectful childhood. Now that we know about her, I have been able to check many probable outcomes. With immediate and proper intervention, we think Betty will become a quite wonderful and loving person. It’s going to take a lot of work on your and Randi’s part, but I think we will all be very happy with the results.”

“I don’t think I understand.”

“You will soon enough. Just have an open mind. You won’t be sorry.

“So what’s been going on with the ladies?”

“We’re not sure. The ladies have been behind closed doors for quite a while. Betty said she would accept whatever Marissa had in mind for her. Maybe you should check things out.”

“That won’t be necessary. Marissa knows what has to be done, and I gave her the authority to do it. Is there any of that tea left?”

They probably would have watched television, except all the electronic equipment had already been disconnected, so they quietly drank their tea, and waited.

The muffled conversations ceased several minutes before the door to the bedroom finally opened. Marissa and Sally, closely followed by Bobbie, came out and stood to either side of the door. Then Cindy emerged with Randi following. They were holding hands with a little girl who was probably a bit less than four years old. She was a dark brunette and her hair was quite curly. Her pleasantly rounded face framed two rather large dark brown eyes. There might have been remnants of some tears, but she had a bright smile. She was dressed in a little pinafore, and her white stockinged feet were wearing mary-janes.

“Hello, Your Wisdom,” Marissa said when she spotted The Wizard. “This is Elizabeth Jane Brown, but she would prefer to be called Betty.

“The old Betty is still with us for the moment; however, in a little while she will just be a three and a half year old little girl.”

Poor Marvin was stunned, but he quickly recovered and raced to the little girl who leaned over and picked him up. She giggled as he nuzzled her ears.

“Betty has something she wants to say to everyone. It’s way past her bedtime, and she will have to go to sleep shortly.

“Betty … ,” Marissa indicated to Betty that she had the floor.

The little girl looked around at all the adults. Her gaze stopped at The Wizard. “Fank you, Your Wisdom, for giving me this chance.” Her attention went back to the rest of the group. “I don’t have a wot of time, but I wanted to apowogise for all the twubble I caused. I wish I had known all of you many years ago. Fank you foh being so kind to me. I suttinly down’t desewve it. Fwank, pwease fowgive me foh what I did to you and Wandi.” She started to tear up, and paused to wipe her nose with the back of her hand, then looked back at Randi.

“Go ahead, Dear, it’s going to be just fine.”

She turned back to Frank. “Fwank, I weally do want you to wuv me. Would, would you pwease be my daddy? Wandi said she would be my mommy.”

Frank was caught totally off guard. He looked at Randi who smiled and gently nodded. He looked at the little girl who was looking up so hopefully at him, and his heart melted. “I would love to be your daddy. Would you be my little girl?” She nodded. He picked up the little bundle in his strong arms and gently hugged her as she threw her little arms around his neck and kissed him in return. Marvin had to scramble to avoid being crushed. Randi moved in to join in the hug.

Gentle pandemonium reigned for a little while; however, the little girl was getting very sleepy. Randi and Frank returned her to the bedroom, gently kissed her, and covered her with a light blanket. The old Betty Brown closed her eyes for the last time.

When they returned to the living room, they saw that most of the equipment and boxed items were gone. The Wizard was explaining what had happened and what would happen, “Most everything is at the Lewis’s home. The desktop with its connection to me is set up in Betty’s new bedroom, although we know that is only temporary. Her other things are in storage. I located the other two volumes of the primer at another flea market. They have joined their mate, and are there for Betty as she grows up.

“When Betty wakes up tomorrow, most of the things she has endured over the last seventeen years or so should have been forgotten, at least until she is old enough to handle their memory. She will eventually know she is a witch, and will look to all of you for her training, guidance, support, and love. According to all the records, Marissa and Stan have been appointed as her interim foster parents until Randi and Frank marry this November. Her adoption by Randi and Frank will happen very quickly after that.

“Marissa, you did a great job, first transformation or not. I think your being a mother gave you an insight to things I might not have noticed. I may have to seek your advice on some of my future transformations.

“You need to gather up that precious little bundle and go to Frank’s apartment. The apartment manager here is going to be showing this unit in the morning.”

Randi’s brain had been working at its usual rapid rate and she had come to several conclusions. “Your Wisdom, may I ask a question or two?”

“Certainly, Randi, I’m sure everyone has a few questions.”

“Where have you been for this last week or so? I’m beginning to think that you probably weren’t at a conference in another universe at all.”

The Wizard chuckled, “No, I’ve been very close. Your mother and I have been in close contact most of the time. I spent part of last week as an orphan in a certain school in New York. There have been a number of changes. Several on the staff are experiencing new starts. They have a lot to learn about life. I think they will do better this time. A certain ex-bishop who left the church a while ago due to Betty’s unique form of meddling, is now the head administrator. He is a new father … I think there is a pun in there somewhere … and he is dedicating his life to making sure that what happened to Betty and others will never happen again. He is a good man.

“Did you have another question, Randi?”

“Yes, er, I guess I’ll just have to say it. Did we do okay? We didn’t screw it up anywhere, did we?”

“Everyone did very well. You and Ginny made a huge impact on Betty. I will thank Ginny tomorrow night. She and Richard have already returned to her parent’s home. You two were the main reasons she agreed to trust your mother with whatever was in store for her. She was an unhappy young woman, and didn’t really see much hope for the future the way things were. She was going to be changed regardless, and her choice to a certain extent, was voluntary.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen several magic families get together like this on a project that was as important as this one. You have helped salvage someone who might have been lost much too soon. I think everyone at Headquarters will be very impressed.

“We can talk about this tomorrow. I still have a few loose ends to take care of.”

With a ‘pop’, The Wizard and Wolf were gone. Or was it the other way around?

The little girl was sound asleep, and Marvin was curled up against her chest. She was gently cradling him. Neither stirred as Frank and Randi picked them up, took them downstairs and secured Betty in a child’s seat that had appeared there. They carefully drove to Frank’s apartment. Frank kept looking in the rearview mirror at his daughter to be, a gentle, loving smile on his face.

“Are you okay with this, Frank? I know it’s a surprise.”

“I can’t think of a better way for this to have worked out. Now we get to show her what love is all about, and she will get to share that love with her brothers and sisters.

“Was it difficult? I mean the change is certainly quite drastic. I know you told me about these things, but to actually see the results for the first time is quite shocking.”

“Not really. Mom explained to her what was going to happen, and that she, Betty, didn’t really have much choice in the matter. Betty asked if she could have any inputs. Mom asked her what they were. The only thing she wanted was to get rid of her colorless eyes. Then she added that she wished her jaw and teeth wouldn’t be the way they were before. Mom told her she didn’t have a thing to worry about. Then Betty asked if she could apologize to everyone before all the changes set in. As you saw, she got her wish.

“We discussed at some length where she would go, and we came to the conclusion that you and I were the best choice to look after her. I knew you wouldn’t have any problem with it.

“After the discussion, Mom took a deep breath and started to concentrate. The changes happened very quickly. Mom gave her a mirror, and Betty started to cry, but we knew she was not unhappy with the changes. She ran her fingers around her face and eyes for a long time, and pulled at her hair a bit. She asked how old she was and Mother told her she was three and a half. She replied, ‘I wike that.’ Then we brought her out to everyone.”

Somehow there was already a child’s bed in the spare bedroom. They tucked her in and Marvin snuggled back up to her. His home (not really a cage) and toilet were next to the bed.

“Mom said Betty won’t wake up until morning, and right now I really, really need you to make love to me.”

“I think I’ll sleep with Betty and Marvin,” Silky said as she trotted out of the bedroom.

They were awakened in the morning by the sound of the toilet flushing and, “Mommy, Daddy, I am vewy hungry.”
”ƒ
Chapter 14 — Aftershocks

The party celebrated many things. It was the first opportunity for many of the extended family to meet Frank and his family. It was also the first time that Frank was able to meet Avery, Myrna, and their growing family. Avery and Frank had difficulty not retreating to their special world of physics, and both Myrna and Randi had to keep after them to remember what the real purpose of the party was. “There will be time enough for that later on,” Myrna admonished.

In a way, the party was the scene of the first official announcement of Randi and Frank’s engagement, although everyone had known about it almost immediately after Randi had returned with the ring.

The biggest celebration was welcoming Betty into the family and the world of witchcraft. Her memories, (just slightly adjusted by Marissa’s spell), had supposedly retreated to where they were when she was three and a half. Memories of the abuse she had suffered had been smoothed over. She knew she had been an orphan, because of the loss of her original parents; however, she retained only the good memories of her time in the orphanage. The official records on file reflected the new life that had been created for her.

Everyone who had not been at the event in Princeton was aware of what happened. They knew Betty had been given a fresh start, and they treated her as anyone should treat a slightly shy, three and a half year old orphan girl, who through good fortune had found a family. Several of the adults did let it slip within earshot that they were so happy that another ‘special person’ had been found.

The party would go on for some time, but soon it was time to put the little girl to bed. She didn’t argue as Frank carried her up to her bedroom. Frank waited as Randi gave her a bath and dressed her for bed. “Mommy, dey said I was a witch. Is dat bad? I tawt witches wuh bad peoples.”

“Yes, you are a very special person, just like your mommy, aunts and grandmother. We are witches, but we are good witches. We are going to help you be the best witch possible. You are a very lucky little girl.”

“Is Daddy a witch?”

“Your Daddy has a lot of magic in him, but he is not able to make magic like The Wizard can.”

“I wike The Wizud. He’s funny. Wolfy is weal nice, too.”

“We like The Wizard, too. He has been part of our family for a long time. He loves you very much. Now it’s time to go to sleep. We’re going to go shopping tomorrow. Give your Daddy and me a goodnight kiss.” She did, then snuggled down in her new bed, and was joined by Marvin and several cats.

As Randi turned out the light, Betty had one more thing to say, “Fank you fo’ being my Mommy and Daddy. I am going to be a good widdle girl.”

They quietly closed the door, a look of shock on both their faces. “She remembers, doesn’t she,” remarked a stunned Frank.

“It certainly sounded like it, didn’t it?”

They asked The Wizard about it when they returned to the party. “She knows she had a previous life. Sometimes it is difficult to hide all the old memories, especially for a witch. She knows she is who she is, because a lot of people love her and want her to be happy. The thoughts about her past life should fade and then start to return when she is older.

“Ginny, was it hard for you when you started to remember? I know we did a little adjustment.”

“Remembering for me was a bit startling at first; however, it made me so thankful for what you, Cindy and Bobbie had done. I never had any conflicts. I just mostly felt a great deal of joy when I woke up every morning the way I was. It got even better when I started waking up with this handsome hunk at my side,” she said as she hugged Richard to her.

“Fortunately for Betty, she doesn’t have to deal with the gender thing. She’s going to be fine. Randi will make sure of that.

“I do have a question, though. This was a pretty serious situation, and there could have been a lot of damage. Why are we so at ease with it? Frank and Randi’s happiness could have been destroyed. Yet everybody is happy and carrying on as if nothing much happened. I’m not sure I understand.”

The wizard knew that things might have turned out differently had the families not acted as quickly and in concert as they had. Maybe they had overestimated Betty’s power a bit, but they had been decisive, had put together an excellent plan, and carried it off without a hitch. They would probably figure out what had happened. It was pretty obvious, but they hadn’t connected all the dots, so to speak.

“It was the ring and the earrings. They are strongly connected. You’re not supposed to know about the earrings yet, Randi. The ring and earrings belong to the Deere family line; however, it takes a witch from outside the line to allow it to reach its maximum power. Frank and Randi are not married in the legal or ceremonial sense, but when she accepted the ring, they were married in the magic world. It is Randi’s ring until her death, which is so far off we don’t even need to think about it. Her daughter, granddaughter, or great granddaughter will then give it to a male member to give to his beloved.

“The ring has tremendous healing power, among other things. It broke Betty’s spell, rather easily I might add, and it cleaned up all the fallout that the spell created. It also went to the source. It did a lot to help Betty ease into her transition. It helped erase any animosity anyone might have had, and it helped everyone understand what had gone on. Understanding does much to destroy anger.

“There are many more Betties out there, and we need to find them before more potential disasters happen. The work Myrna has been doing in gene identification has opened up a whole new world for the magic community. We now have a great opportunity available to find young witches and insure they get the proper training.

“We thought we had located a curandero near Cuernavaca a few weeks ago, but that proved to be a false alarm. I’ve donated my DNA so that we might find more with my genetics. As you know, we know where a future wizard lurks, the first one in more than five hundred years. The last 30 years has been a great time for the world of magic. The future looks even better.”

***********************

“Bobbie, I’ve had just about all of this pregnancy I can stand.”

“I know what you mean, but it has been worth it, hasn’t it? I wouldn’t trade these swollen ankles, swollen boobs and sore back for anything. I think little Cindy is about ready to pop.”

“I have been having the same sort of feeling all day. I think little Don is ready, too. I know I am.

“Wouldn’t it be funny if we gave birth the same day? We’re pretty sure they were conceived on the same day. Why not?”

Cindy had coaxed her gravid body behind the wheel to visit her best friend. She was taking some time off from her nearly completed residency for the anticipated birth of her first child.

Bobbie hadn’t had to worry about taking any time off. She had taken leave from playing golf on the tour after her victory in Augusta. She would never have to work another day in her life if she chose not to; however, she would continue to play in a few tournaments, primarily to thumb her nose at her male detractors. However, she and Andy wanted more children, and she knew her energies were going to be concentrated on her growing family and the clinic she and Cindy were going to start.

Bobbie and Andy had bought a very nice, but not ostentatious home close to the golf course where she and Andy shared the head touring professional status. The home had been designed for the family they expected to have. It had been her dream since she was a small boy to have three children. She wanted two girls and a boy, and she felt very strongly that was how things were going to work out (although she was beginning to think she might want more). After all, Cindy had confirmed with her that first day, that that was what she had desired so strongly. Cindy had revealed her past and her abilities to her that day. That was more than 20 years ago, and what a wonderful time it had been. The best thing was that it was just starting.

“Bobbie, I was just thinking about that time when I finally got you to listen to me. Who would have thought that we would be here, two very pregnant ladies, like we are now?

“Is something wrong? You look funny.”

“I just felt a cramp like I’ve never felt before.”

“Do you think …? Oh shit, me too.”

Their bags had been packed for several weeks, and Don and Andy got them to the hospital before their contractions became too close together. The obstetricians were a bit amazed by the fact that their contractions were in perfect synch. They were in lock step. Their water broke at the same time, and their rates of dilation were virtually identical. The medical doctors were close at hand; however, unless there were complications, the birthing process was being handled by a midwife, Diane O’Sullivan. Not coincidentally, she was a member of the coven.

It was late in the afternoon when it became obvious they were looking at practically simultaneous births and Diane didn’t think she was going to be able to keep up. At least one of the doctors was going to have to attend one of the births.

Andy and Don were with their wives the entire time, offering their encouragement and support. Marissa and Sally were also in close attendance. Giving birth is never real easy, and giving birth the first time can be difficult, but neither Cindy nor Bobbie seemed to be having a particularly difficult time.

Don stepped out of Cindy’s room just as Andy stepped out of Bobbie’s. They were both getting a bit dry, and headed for the drinking fountain. A window at the end of the hall gave them a glimpse of the setting sun as it winked out in the west. Andy looked at his watch. It was 5:48 PM.

“It won’t be long. How’re you doing?” asked Andy.

“I think I’ll make it. We need to get back. Little Don is getting close to crowning.”

Things had progressed quickly while they were in the hall, and it would be just a few minutes more and Cindy and Bobbie’s ordeals would be over: at least the birthing part. At precisely 6:08 PM Donald Alfred Brewer and Cynthia Naomi Anderson made their appearances.

The umbilical cords and afterbirths were taken care of and everyone was cleaned up in short order. Bobbie and Cindy were exhausted, but eagerly took their babies and held them while the proud fathers stood to one side while the grandparents made a quick visit and took a few pictures before leaving to let the new mothers rest. The feeding would start in the morning.

Don and Andy hung around for quite a while, just to make sure everything was alright, then they quietly left after Cindy and Bobbie went to sleep. The light of the full moon smiled on them as they got in their cars and drove off. They would be there early in the morning, as would be the setting moon. It was October 31st. Fortunately, there was someone at both houses to pass out the candy.

***********************

Cindy woke up to the sound of a small baby fussing. All sorts of things started happening psychologically and physiologically. It was still early, and there were many of the noises that make hospitals so unattractive. Someone was running a floor polisher, the nurses were talking loudly among themselves, and the change in shift was in progress.

Diane didn’t have the luxury of a twelve-hour shift. She was on for 72 hours, but had her private room where she could get a few hours sleep if she wasn’t needed. There had been two other births earlier in the previous day, and several the day before that. The OB wing was a busy place.

Little Don, he wouldn’t be called that for long, fussed a bit more, and Cindy was about ready to try to get up. She needed some help, she was sore, and pressed the call button. Diane appeared almost instantly.

“Good morning, how’s everything in here?”

“I need to pee and I’m not sure I can stand, much less walk to the bathroom. I’m as sore as all get out, and I feel wonderful. I don’t know how to describe it.

“How’re Bobbie and the little one?”

“They’re fine. The lactation nurse is going to be there in a minute before she comes over here. Dr. Bettencourt is with her right now.” She raised her eyebrows in a knowing expression. “Bobbie issued a challenge: she made it to the bathroom without any help. Let’s see what you can do.”

Cindy definitely felt as if she had been run over by a truck, but she took it in stages, with Diane at her side. Diane helped her sit. It took a few seconds, but she was finally able to relax. After that, everything was nominal, except for some stinging where the tissue had been torn.

Things were a bit swollen but didn’t appear as nearly as bad as she thought they would. There had been very little tissue tearing and she had needed only a couple of stitches. She hated, but at the same time was proud of her poor stretched out belly. She knew she would get her figure back. After all, there was going to be a wedding very soon.

The Wizard had explained things to her very early after her transition. He would never do anything to make being a woman easier for her. She was going to have to experience all the ups and downs of womanhood without his magical assistance. There had been some rough times, especially menarche, but she wouldn’t have traded it for anything.

She seldom thought of her past life anymore: that had been more than twenty years before, but she and Don agreed about one thing. Their first son’s middle name would be Alfred, in honor of her past self. There were a few questions about their choice, and they would just explain it was an old family name.

“Dr. Bettencourt, it’s so nice to see you,” Cindy almost chuckled. The Wizard looked just like he did when Charli had joined the family. “Where’s Wolf? I thought he’d be here, too.”

“He’s running the floor polisher. He loves to do that.

“So how’s the little fellow?”

“He’s doing quite well. He hasn’t had any trouble finding the boob, as you can see.”

Cindy could see that The Wizard was getting choked up. He tried to hide it, but Cindy could read him pretty easily after all these years. It had been almost nine months ago when Cindy announced that she was going to have a boy, Bobbie detected that almost immediately, that The Wizard had really teared up.

“After a thousand years, I can finally put in for my retirement. I have to give them a hundred years notice, and he should be ready by then. I have a few hundred years left, and there are a lot of places I want to see.

“You will let me take him with me, won’t you?”

“Only if you let little Cindy come along, too,” Bobbie said walking slowly into the room with her own special little bundle.

Cindy had visions of the last scene of Auntie Mame as she left with her grand-nephew on a world journey. “Of course he can travel with you. He can’t miss any school, though. I think you should take all of us on some of those journeys of yours. We should meet those folks at headquarters, too. It’s about time.

By the time Don and Andy arrived, the two new mothers were sitting together in Cindy’s room experiencing the joys of motherhood. The beautiful scene brought tears to the new fathers’ eyes. The Mothers and babies went home the next day.

A month later, Bobbie would be back on the indoor driving range. She had one more goal to be achieved on the golf course, and there was nothing that was going to keep her from at least making a reasonable attempt. Next summer she was going to St. Andrews and storm the most sacred male bastion in golf.

***********************

Betty was a joy. She was sweet, loving, and for a little girl who was three months short of being four, very helpful around the house. Randi, Frank and Betty had moved into a condo unit in Boston that conveniently belonged to the Lewis’s, Schmedlap’s, and Brewer’s company. Frank had to commute back and forth from Princeton, at least for a while. Their unit was in the same building and close to Don and Cindy’s place. It was also very close to public transportation.

There were a few times, not very often, when Betty seemed a bit distant. They would only last for a few seconds before she would give a big smile and get on with what she was doing. She and Marvin usually slept in her bedroom. There was never a problem getting her to bed. Randi would help her with her bath and help her with her nightie. Then she would run off to give Frank a kiss before hugging and kissing Randi goodnight. But every once in a while, Randi and Don would find her snuggled up to them in the morning.

One Saturday night they were watching a nicely sanitized family movie. The happy ending brought lumps to their throats. What transpired after that brought even more lumps and a few tears. The wedding was only a week off.

“Mommy, why do you call Aunt Cindy and Aunt Bobbie ‘your angels’?”

‘I wonder where that came from?’ Randi thought to herself. “I guess because many years ago they saved my life.”

“Then, you and Daddy are my angels, too, because you saved my life.”

“Oh dear, you do remember, don’t you. And, what happened to the baby talk?”

“I’m trying very hard not too. I needed to tell you. Marvin told me I had to. I wuv, er love you and Daddy vewy, shit —oops, very much, but I couldn’t lie to you. I think it’s good that I remember, because I know now that what I was is not what I want to be. I want to be the bestest, er best wittle, er little girl and daughter I can possibwy be. I pwomise not to, I give up, to use magic until you tell me it’s okay. I want to be a vewy good witch, and I don’t want The Wizud to get mad at me.

“Even though I weemembuh, I am not her anymow. I don’t wike her. She was not vewy nice. I wike me just the way I am.

“I don’t think anyone is going to get mad at you sweetie. Just don’t try to talk like an adult. You don’t need to, and your mouth and tongue aren’t ready for it. Just enjoy being a little girl as much as you can. The adult things will come too soon, as it is. Just don’t ever forget that we love you, and that we will always be here for you.

“Now, shall we try on that ‘Ring Bearer’s’ dress we picked up? Daddy can see that, but he can’t see the wedding gown yet.”

“Mommy, can I weaw your wedding gown when I get maywied?”

“I don’t see why not.”

Randi thought back to when she was only a little bit older than Betty was now, when she’d remembered her past life. She’d realized that that life was no longer important. It was her life from that point forward that was important. From what Betty had said, she knew that Betty felt the same way. Things were going to be just fine, if not a bit complicated. Within the year, Betty was going to have a little sister or brother.

***********************

That’s going to be it for a while. This story and the previous one popped up rather quickly. I have nothing else in print at this time and don’t imagine there will be anything for quite a while. You never can tell though, when I might find something. This story came out of nowhere, and I wrote the first chapter in a matter of a couple of hours. The two stories were a lot of fun to put together. Hopefully, I will be able to dig up some more tidbits that are substantial enough to put together another tale about Cindy, her family, and friends.

Thank you for reading and thank you for your comments.

Portia Bennett

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay, I thought I had it...

I will admit, having Randi and Frank adopt Betty came at me unexpected. Other than that, I thought I did pretty well. I was very surprised (and perhaps a little disappointed) when you wrote that you wouldn't be writing anything for a while, but hey, life happens. You have given me so much entertainment (and I ain't done yet!) that I have no complaints.

Guess it's my turn, huh?

Thank you so much.
Love,
Wren

The Future

littlerocksilver's picture

Actually, I have 2000 words down for a bit of a sequel to the last two stories. It will resolve some issues. I am not sure how the length will pan out. We'll just have to see.

Portia

Portia

Randi and the College Professor - Chapters 12, 13 & 14 (Conclusi

What His Wisdom said about there being OTHER Betty's out there has me wondering if there is a rogue magic user out there acting to create the Betty's and Campions acting as an anti- Wizard.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Others

littlerocksilver's picture

I think the implication is that there are other lost witches out there; maybe young witches who are not aware of their power and who have not had any training. There may also others who may have escaped detection with agendae that are opposed to what our witches feel.

Portia

Portia

very Nice

such a loving community

3 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 5 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Portia, as usual another

Portia, as usual another great story. I do hope you might decide to favor us with an epilogue regarding Bobbie and her playing at St. Andrews. Hugs, Jan

Yay, happy end :D I'm not

Yay, happy end :D
I'm not sure why she dislikes her former self that much. Sure, she wasn't all that moral, but she could have been worse. It's not like she tried to enslave Frank and sell him to the highest bidder or something.
Considering her circumstances she turned out quite well. Maybe she'll understand herself when she's older *lol*.

I'm a bit worried about that totalitarian policy of the coven. Someone might just try to resist against their forced age regression and stuff. I guess there could be people who turned out better than Betty, who wouldn't like to be age regressed at all. I'm no sure how they'd react then, especially if the person would try to resist them.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,
Beyogi

Antagonists are needed

It was exciting to see an antagonist in the story. Villians are needed to keep the interest and excitement going in a story. Your story lines are interesting.

I'm moving on to the other stories in this series. I really enjoy getting into a long series at one time although it takes many sittings to get through them. For me it's better than picking up a chapter every few weeks or months.

Your writing and editing is better than average for BCTS.

Thanks for doing this,

Much Love,

Valerie R

The Ideas Are Mine

littlerocksilver's picture

However; you should have seen what the writing looked like before Holly Hart took me under her wing. She never changed anything. She just showed me a better way to write. Unfortunately, Holly was unable to massage the last two things I posted, and I keep finding errors. I miss her in so many ways.

The California Saga stories do not venture into the magic; however, there are many villains. Some form of TG shows up in most of the stories except St. George and the Dragon.

Portia

Portia

Another awesome Cynthia story.

WillowD's picture

A few weeks ago I started reading The Cynthia Chronicle stories. Over two weeks I read almost all of them, as well as some of littlerocksilver's other stories and books. I can't claim this is my favorite because I'm having trouble picking one over the other. They are all great. I think I managed to read this one over the course of two days. Mostly because I was low on sleep after staying up to read other Cynthia stores. Now that I have an account I'm going back and adding kudos and comments. Yes, I liked these stories that much. Thank you for writing them, littlerocksilver.