Society's Outcast, Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version

The next morning seemed like normal. The sun rose on time, the birds were singing -- everything were great -- that is, except in Lizzie Jane's mind. She keep rolling over in her mind about Charlene. Was she going to die? What about her soul salvation? Was she ready to meet God?

Society's Outcast
A Lizzie Jane Story
Chapter 8
 
By Billie Sue Pilgrim

 

 

The next morning seemed like normal. The sun rose on time, the birds were singing -- everything were great -- that is, except in Lizzie Jane's mind. She keep rolling over in her mind about Charlene. Was she going to die? What about her soul salvation? Was she ready to meet God?

Oh, it seemed so unfair. A young girl with a life ahead of her if only the community would get out of the dark ages and understand that God is love -- not the god so quickly ready to condemn someone as taught by so many preachers. Lizzie Jane made up her mind that day that, if God called her into any kind of ministry, she would proclaim the love of God and his provision for mankind's salvation.

Charlene strolled into the kitchen just as Lizzie Jane had taken the biscuits out of the oven. "Good morning --- mom."

Lizzie Jane smiled at that title. True, she had custody of Charlene, but it seemed to be only temporary, so "mom" did not seem adequate although she enjoyed the title.

Charlene took a seat at the table. The smell of bacon, fried eggs, and of course, the biscuits seem to overpower her, but she knew she had to wait a minute for thanks to be given.

"Our father in Heaven, we thank you for the food you have provided and ask that it be sanctified for our bodies. Please, bless Charlene and may she find happiness in the midst of her situation. This we ask in the name of Jesus. Amen." Lizzie Jane closed the prayer with a weak smile as she glanced toward Charlene. "Well, dig in."

As Charlene ate, Lizzie Jane looked at her. She was such a beautiful girl and, if she were complete in body, the boys would fall over themselves trying to win her favor.

"Aren't you going to eat, mom?" asked Charlene as she noticed Lizzie Jane sitting at the end of the table with a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Oh, not now. I will in a few minutes," answered Lizzie Jane. The day was Saturday, so there wasn't any rush to get Charlene ready for school.

As Charlene was finishing breakfast, Lizzie Jane said, "Just put the dishes in the sink. I will get to them later."

The two women walked out on the porch, then into the yard. As they walked, Charlene could see a worried look in Lizzie Jane's eyes. "What is wrong, mom?"

Lizzie Jane turned toward her. "Charlene, how is it with you and God?"

"I dunno. I guess I kinda thought God did not love me because of the way I am. My daddy was against me. I am afraid others will turn against me if they only knew."

"Don't think that," said Lizzie Jane as the girls sat on a swing fastened to chains that connected to a huge limb of an oak tree. "God knew about you before you were born."

"But people say God doesn't make mistakes."

That was the same answer, Lizzie Jane's pastor had given, so Lizzie Jane gave Charlene the same answer she gave the pastor, "No, God does not make mistakes, but he allows people to be born with birth defects. God does not cause babies to be born deaf or cripple. That is the result of an imperfect world made imperfect by Adam’s sin! Some babies are born as morphadites. Is that a mistake of God? I think not." (NOTE: Morphadites, a hillbilly term meaning hermaphrodites.)

"But mom, I want..." Charlene did not finish the sentence. She buried her face into Lizzie Jane's shoulder, hiding the tears. Putting her hands on Charlene's shoulders,Lizzie Jane pushed her back and looked her straight in the eyes.

"If you have doubted God, let's get this thing settled right now."

Lizzie Jane got on her knees, using the swing as an altar. Charlene knelt beside her.

If someone had heard, they would have probably have thought that Heaven had ever heard such prayers from two broken hearts as the girls poured out their hearts to God. Time flew swifty by as they prayed to God in such agony as any two souls had ever experienced in seeking God's favor.

Forty five minutes later, Charlene ceased and with tears in her eyes, she looked as Lizzie Jane turned her head to face Charlene.

Lizzie Jane smiled, "You got your answer, haven't you?"

"Yes". Charlene smiled back.

Lizzie Jane felt in her heart that Charlene's time on earth was short, but satisfied that the gates of Heaven would be opened to her when the time came.

To be Continued

Copyright 2010 by Billie Sue Pilgrim

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Society's Outcast, Chapter 8

Lizzie Jane Is a sweet young lady whose wisdom is so much needed in today's hectic time. Hopefully, Charlene will find that she is Loved by society.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Society's Outcast

I really like the story but I wish it was continued on. I am curious to see how this girl transitions as she ages.

Society's Outcast

I may continue the story in this year, 2012. However, for copyright purposes, I need to change the name of the main character. I want this story to go to its conclusion.

Billie Sue

God Love us all

A completely lovely and needed story .... This AUTHOR has captured the essence for the thought of GOD ...
Well done ,, well thought out ,,, well told ,,, Thank you for sharing your talent with us weirdo,s

XO Rone Wells