The Black Dog - The Next Day

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

So what happened after that impassioned cry of...'Sam... please...'
I was asked by a friend to 'complete' the story. I thought I had, sort of.
For those that have not read the first two, this will mean nothing.
For those that read the first and thought the 'Reprise' superfluous.
This will mean nothing.
For those few who thought... what happened next?
Well, this is for you.
It was not intended to be seen by more than a few, but...
So I'm an over emotional fool. What else is new.

Story:

This is a work of adult fiction. No resemblance to reality should be inferred or expected.
Copyright KLS 2006.

The Black Dog — The next day

By Kristina.L.S.

1.

Sam's first instinct was to walk away, fast, in the opposite direction. But that cry... Impassioned and invoking past love, pain and yes, friendship had stayed her. One long look at Kara, the woman she had always thought was 'the one' had crushed that impulse and here she was. Standing in a tight embrace on a public footpath bawling her eyes out as she hugged Kara tight as some sort of, what... penance? The puffy bruised cheek, the obvious emotional pain, maybe even need. Just how did that fit with what had gone on over the last few months. Why and how did Kara still hold her heart? Yet... whatever had happened, she could not just walk away. Weakness? Perhaps. But... there was history, pain, mixed with love. If she was honest with herself she could almost accept Kara's actions. Could almost understand the need. And yet... the pain of what she had done. Directly or indirectly, did it matter? Yes, just maybe it did.

After perhaps five minutes they pulled apart and holding each other at arms length took stock of the other. Kara looked so downtrodden that Sam almost wondered if she'd been sleeping rough after being mugged. To Kara, Sam was like a refreshing gust of wind on a stinking hot day. A hint of relief after the disaster that had preceded it. She looked tired and sad, but it was Sam and she hadn't walked, yet.

It was Kara that spoke first.

"Sam... I, um, would not blame you if you said goodbye and walked away for good. I would understand if you did. But I had to take a chance that there was... something left. Some... remnant of love to hold on to. That just maybe I could beg you to forgive me... that we could at least talk."

She clenched her hands on Sam's arms and closed her eyes tight as the tears began again. She was deathly afraid that Sam would just say, 'sorry, no' and walk away. Almost expected it, in a perverse way would almost welcome it as deserved. But please God let it not be.

Sam stood there with the two conflicting images of Kara superimposing one on the other. First the thoughtful caring and gentle Kara, passing love with a touch, a word or a look and then...
A sneering Kara, belittling the pathetic excuse for a husband that she now had as she turned her back, embraced and passionately kissed Brian, as his laughing eyes stared over her shoulder at 'Samantha'.

Sam looked at the face inches from her own. The drawn and saddened features emphasised by the developing bruise high on her left cheek pulled at her emotions. This was Kara, the love of her life and yet, was that any longer true. How could such be reconciled against the blatant betrayal that had come to a head in recent days?

And for her own. Did she feel the same? Was it possible after discovering and even embracing the feminine as she had? All she had as a guide were her own perceptions and feelings. The love that had been evident as Kara supported and guided. Put up with the no doubt painful depressive moods and actions, or perhaps, lack of action. Who could claim the high moral ground in such an exchange.

"Kara you are the 'one' for me, you always have been. But you pushed against that to the point of breaking. I honestly don't know if... I will always love you, of that I have no doubt. But... "

The pause was like an axe falling to Kara. Better to die on the block than suffer through this interminably.

And then...

"But know that that very love still exists. I can almost understand why you...
did, what you did. I can follow the steps that got you there. Though it causes me a great deal of pain to admit, I know I am at least partly to blame. Had I not been so self involved and insular you would not have needed..."

She paused again and looked skyward. No answers there to be found.

"Please, I need to go to work. Can we talk later? It is just possible I over-reacted and need to sit down with you and find... find if there is a reason to hold on. Hold on to whatever it is we have now. If there is anything."

Sam paused and gazed at nothing for a moment. Thought, 'what do you know really? Anything? Or nothing? What is true? Is anything true or real?' Sighed quietly to herself but then Kara was right there and looking intently her way.

"Kara please, meet me tonight, about 7 at the coffee shop by the park, it's open till nine. Shouldn't be too cool, open air, not too crowded. We'll talk. Maybe..." She paused and stared at nothing for a moment her thoughts awhirl.

Kara sagged slightly in relief. She had hoped for a, '..yes I'll see you at home later'. She had a meal planned in her head, nice wine, coffee, cuddle up, kiss and make up. Wishful thinking. Maybe in a Tom Hanks movie, but reality was seldom so simple or accommodating. A stray thought intruded the memory, Sam no longer had a car, so getting there would be tricky, whereas... She sighed softly at the knowledge of all the small and not so small ramifications of what had happened between them. She bit her bottom lip as tears squeezed from her eyes once more.

With something between a sob and a sigh, " Oh Sam. I wish... no. Thank you. I will meet you there. I know this is hard for you and probably more complicated than I can picture. But I love you. Know that that is true. I never wanted to hurt or betray you. You...um, need to fix your face. I'll... I'll see you tonight." She turned, resisting the impulse to wipe at those mascara tracks and walked back to the car before she broke down completely. Yanked on the handle several times before realising... beep beep, opened and slumped in the seat as she half saw Sam slowly walk into the café and disappear from her sight. At least it wasn't for the last time... yet.

Sam was lost in thought as she almost on autopilot headed in to work. Jan intercepted her and with Bill gently waving 'go on' deftly led her to Lucy's office and the staff bathroom adjacent. Lucy looked up and with only a raised eyebrow quietly left as Jan helped Sam into the bathroom and gently urged her to fix herself up. Then left quietly closing the door. It took a few minutes to regain some connection with reality before Sam could do the necessary repairs and then changing shoes, took a last long look in the mirror and headed out to work. As she wrapped the apron around her waist it was evident that the others, even Tony, were a little worried for her. So with a deep breath she smiled at all in turn and nodding 'thanks I'm ok' to each, set to work. The routine quickly settled and calmed her so the day passed smoothly and almost without thought. Just as well she pondered.

A quiet coffee with Jan as usual was... nice. A girl, friend, what a concept. Shaking her head gently she explained briefly about meeting Kara in... half an hour... Her words trailed off as her thoughts turned in spirals.

Jan reached across and gently squeezing Sam's hand, smiled, " It'll be fine. I don't know what happened but I know what I saw earlier. She loves you, very much and she's hurting. I am pretty sure you love her at least as much and you're hurting. We should all be so lucky, hah, does that sound ridiculous or what. Don't let a little hurt cloud the potential for joy. Listen with your heart and then let your head have a say. My guess... heart will win, easy. Emotion shouldn't rule but sometimes it needs to win. But..." she sighed and clenched the held hand tighter. " Good luck hon. I'll see you tomorrow, Ok. Just go with what feels right." And with that she left. Sam gave Bill a gentle peck on the cheek as she headed out with a 'see you tomorrow'.

The streetlights were coming on as the day began to fade and Sam reflected
on her gladness for brightly lit streets and an even pathway as she strolled the few blocks to the Park Café. There were people about, but as she had thought, not that many. The hedged in open courtyard was a nice pleasant spot for a quiet chat or get together. She stopped and gazed at the beautiful but sad woman sitting alone at a table toward the back staring into space as she twisted the sugar bowl mindlessly in her fingers. Kara had showered and changed since this morning and looked a lot better. But she seemed pensive and what? Afraid?

Her head turned and those eyes locked on Sam's as she tried to smile and almost pulled it off. Sam smiled in return and began moving again, through the door, across the room and into the courtyard to sit opposite Kara. Again they just stared at each other for several minutes until a waitress politely enquired if she could get them anything. They both ordered a glass of white and perused the menu as it was handed them as she left with a smile for the drinks. Both settled on pasta, a Tortellini fungi and a Fettuccine Boscaiola. They ordered and sat sipping quietly, each with their own thoughts.

It was a quiet, reflective meal as both sat and contemplated various possible futures and wondered at the prospective bleakness or otherwise. Loneliness and loss, emotions, thoughts, feelings. They crisscrossed each other's pathways without knowing for sure and reached... similar conclusions.

The waitress watched from a distance and wondered at the sad and serious looking pair. A battered wife being consoled by a friend? Commiserations after an accident? With a quiet sigh she walked across and offered coffee which was accepted by both so she poured and left to return with a small jug of milk and smiling left them to it.

They sipped quietly and for the first time since sitting down locked eyes. A great deal of information flowed in that first few seconds, with neither exactly sure of the message. They each reached diagonally with their left hand and clasped gently.

"Ok Sam. I think I'd best start. I, um... hurt you very much, I know that. The reasons, why's or wherefores really don't matter right now. I betrayed you. Sure I could rationalise it and I did for months. But bottom line, I cheated on us for a relief from the loneliness I felt. You were not there really for a long time and well...

"Kara... "

"No Sam. Please let me talk, I need to. I betrayed you. I betrayed us and I got what I deserved. " She waved at Sam and then pointed at her cheek.

"I don't blame you for your reaction. The shock and hurt as you walked out was... well I felt like dying. I sort of pieced together what happened that night and that just made it worse. And when I tried to find out... got smacked for my trouble. I've been stupid and selfish and you have no reason to trust or forgive me. But... I hope you can. I hope you will. I love you more than you can possibly know, man or woman. I want you back in our home with me, together as we should be. I will never make a mistake like that again. If I have lost you as part of me thinks I should, I will survive. But it will haunt me for a long time. I... " She drifted into silence as tears began to run slowly down her face.

Sam watched and listened feeling her emotions ebb and sway as Kara spoke. Could she forget, forgive? Was it all one way? Of course not. But... She sighed softly and tried to stop her own tears from coming.

"Kara... I... I don't know. This... where we are, is not all your fault. How could it be? You hurt me more than anything ever has. More than I thought anything could. But I know I am partly responsible. I was selfish and lost. Yes, depressed and hurting over things neither of us could help or even fully understand. I pushed you away. To that point, I could have understood, but it went further. Much further and that is what hurt. I, um... It's Wednesday night. I'm booked where I am for another 3 days. So... I will try and sort it through and call you Saturday. I... um, I love you. I'd better go." Tears were flowing now as Sam pushed back her chair and without looking back walked away. The bus ride was as sad as the other day and she was very glad to get back to the pokey little room and flop on the bed exhausted. Thinking was just too hard and she lay for hours just drifting. Finally rose, cleaned her face and stripped, slipping naked into the small single bed and was asleep in minutes.

Kara watched silently as Sam left and could not work up the energy to call out let alone chase her. She sat and asked for the bill as the waitress came by, her tears momentarily stilled. Not what she had hoped, but not what she had quite feared either. The axe had not fallen yet. The waitress returned with the change and a quietly spoken, 'It'll work out, hon. You'll see.'

She left the few dollars sitting on the tray as she nodded with a quiet 'thank you' and left, following Sam's footsteps until turning for the car. Still a chance she thought with a small smile. 'Still in with a chance. Oh Sam please come home.' Her thoughts drifted to work tomorrow and an imagined conversation on Saturday as Sam forgave and said she was coming home. 'Think positive Kara, think positive.'

The next two days at work thing resumed a more natural daily grind for both of them. A respite from the fears that assailed them. Each circling a single point, but seeing it slightly differently.

Finally it was Saturday. Kara sat and read and glanced at the clock every few minutes, time dragging as she waited for the Governors call to repeal her execution. Or...

Sam packed her bag and sat on the small bed lost in thought. It was 8am and she had to either pay for another week or leave by 10. Lost in thought she sat for an hour, then with a small shake stood and checking she had her key headed the two blocks to the phone booth. It was empty and working. Taking a deep breath she dialled a number from memory.

The sudden ring jerked Kara from her introspection. She stood and jerkily walked to the phone as tension speared through her. "Hello..."

"Kara... it's Sam. I..." Her thoughts wandered momentarily, flashing back and forth over their lives together.

Kara's hand clenched at the sudden silence and fear for the words she would hear next stabbed her.

"Ah, sorry. Kara, I..." she paused again and felt the peace of decision wash her. Kara tensed and started to cry.

"Kara, I'm doing this badly, I apologise. Please, I... Could you pick me up? I want to come home. I'm at..." Her words were interrupted by a loud sob followed by a blubbery laughter coming through the phone. She smiled as tears began and waited for Kara to speak.

Any thoughts or comments I can be contacted - [email protected]
Anything short of abuse welcome.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Overreacted my ASS!

Samuel was betrayed. Samuel was set-up. Samuel was raped. It was her fault!

Nope..

Nope..

Sorry but no.
He is a trans gendered cuckold then?
By his own free will?
So the manipulations worked all to well.

And soon Brian & his friends will f*ck both their submissive asses?
She did act submissive.

And what do you see this as ?
Romantic??

As justice done too perhaps?
To whom?

You're getting me seriously p*ed here Kristina.
(That's a Swedish name btw:)

Yoron

Ps: This was a revolting story to read.
However good you write you need to take a look at your priorities.

To twist for the twisting is very similar to those infamous words uttered by any and all socio/psychopaths.
'Because I can'

That's never good enough Kristina.
I expect better from you.

& cheers again :)

you seem fond...

kristina l s's picture

... of tossing about TG cliches in word form. You think this story revolting do you, or are you simply passing judgment on me? Sociopath, wow, big word. I rather doubt even Brian qualifies, though he is a bastard. Messed up and/or troubled is hardly the same thing, as for my priorities, well I think you need to know me a lot better before you can say you know who I am. Frankly I doubt that will happen..oh,sorry... please master allow me to try again, I'll do better, promise. Little smiley faces don't make insults other than what they are.

Kristina

You know where the off switch is

If you don't like something, then don't continue to read it.

What is not right however, is publicly denouncing something and someone you know little or nothing about. I for one would have expected you to put something like you wrote here into a PM and saved yourself the embarrassment of having someone like me breathing down your neck for being out of order.

BTW, it should be "however well you write", so I fear we have an illiterate passing judgement on literature.

Ironic don't you think?

The public denunciation of authors or their works is frowned upon here and whilst you have every right to have your say--however misguided it may be, do it in a PM, but beware, as even those can get you into trouble.

Friend of Kris

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Nick hit it on the head

Kristina writes some very gritty, real world characaters who often don't do what is best for them or so it seems at tha time.

Yet a theme of her stories is redemption even for those you might at first think of as beyond redemption. Her stories can be upsetting, even disturbing if not read in their entirety.

Yes, you can see the wife as manipulative and almost evil but her interaction with her ultimately abusive lover and other actions sugest she is confused, deluded and hurt by her husband's mental colapse. She tries to do the right thing and that bastard man comes and manipulates her into nearly distroying what her husband and her had. I see the ending you concider poor as her and him attempting to rebuild/salvage what was lost and make something good of what remains.

Your interpertation may vary form others but do be polite. If you feel ther is a serious fault in a work, do so in a courtious way or use the PM system here if you nust be abrupt in your comments. That is not to stiffle debate here, just a reminder to keep it polite.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

It is an autobiography. He

It is an autobiography. He was there you weren't.

I still think you should nail brian and that other turds scrotum to the seat.

My goodness, there's a surprise

kristina l s's picture

Someone reading this story after so long. It is not an easy one so I am humbled that you did and commented. Three down and one small piece to go to wrap it up if you feel up to it. Probably a niche type thing here these days this one, but it has meaning and amidst all the fantasy says something I hope. Thank you for reading and commenting Guest whomever you may be.

Kristina

hmmm, not sure

kristina l s's picture

if this is a .. good story.. or a .. you suck .. Whatever the case it's nice to see someone reading it anyway, beats gathering dust. Seems a little black n white and life is never that I think. But thanks for commenting.

Kristina

Nicely done ...

... but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. I liked the ending of the previous chapter, which, without being totally explicit, suggested perfectly well the conclusion you've clarified here. Not really a happy story, despite the ending, and very well presented. Thanks.

Quite Good, Kristina!

Saw this and took a quick look, that was enough to hook me. I went to the original story and read just the end then clicked over to "Reprise", so I could get a feel for the background of this chapter. I think the two "endings" seem to fit well with the original story, what little I've read, and that you've done a great job at the "makeup" part. Definitely tugs at my heartstrings! You might want to consider merging all three, as they seem to fit together like puzzle pieces.

It may have been intended to be seen by only a few, but I'm glad you decided to share it with the rest of us. Thank you!

Love & Hugs!
Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Kristina, My My.

The Black Dog works either way.

This won't be the "Disney Ending", I doubt they will ever have children even if he can still produce viable sperm they can store for artificial insemination. The man has been distroyed by that 15 year old abomination, a weak willed school, Brian and his equally disgusting friend, and a foolish and dishonest wife who was painfully late in realising her errors.

Sam is flawed, yet loyal and honest person who is tring to fix him/herself. Kara now knows her biggest flaw, her failure to be honest with herself and Sam. Perhaps they can salvage something good from the ashes of their lives.

Don't apologuise for posting this, I dabble some as a on-line writer and find the balance between too little and dramatic V.S. too much -- thus watering down the impact -- of a story is difficult.

This is a compelling read either way. Sorry, Kristina, but deep down in my reptilian brain is the erge to see Sam whip out a small hand gun, kill Kara and frame Brian for it. Maybe even go postal at the bitch girl's school. I think Stark and Diana Hunter are trying to posess me. Now you know why I usually write on the silly-side-of-the-farce, when I write serious stuff I might get violent.-- writer grins and chuckles --

As to Kara falling for the charming but ultimately bastard Irish man, I've seen it happen often. So many otherwise sensible women I've worked with have had children by men they later dispised -- and for good reasons other than abandoment -- and if they do have a new male friend, he's a much more decent guy. I though men were supposed to have mindless sex with sexy female bimbos, not the other way around? -- substute bastard for bimbo --

Good to see more from you,

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

to continue or not to...

kristina l s's picture
Ah tis a dilema. But when you have a friend pestering for a bit more (shudder) 'closure' for Sam and Kara what ya gonna do. Geoff... I sort of agree with you.. but well..you know.. Karen..That's cheating. Ya can't just read the ending. It just isn't done dear...sniff. I sort of agree about the jigsaw analogy though. Maybe I should redo it as a single story. I've been told it's a tough read. John..you're starting to worry me. All that smouldering violence...going postal... hmmm. Maybe. If I do a follow on for Luciana. Disney ending? No, I doubt it, but then there probably aren't many of them. As for decent women being used and abused. I've seen it once or twice,cough cough. Usually not pretty. Women can be just as dumb as men when it comes to 'love' and sex. Does either have a monopoly on being the sucker... nope, I don't think so. Mix in some dichotomy and things get complicated... 'shrug'. respectfully Kristina

I promise I'll read it all

Of course you're right, Kristina. I suspect I won't like parts of it; as you know I'm a big "Disney Ending" type, as John puts it. But the ending says this is a well-written story which deserves a good reading.

I may feel like John, that Kara gets off too easy. But the ending has grabbed me with it's promise of love reconciled.

BTW, I take it you dislike the term "closure" as much as I!

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

So fine a cameo

Kristina,

I had to go back and read the originals to find out why. And then it didn't seem to matter..... 'The Next Day' is very good in its own right. The description of soul searching on both sides is excellent. Logical and convincing. It could be used for many an unresolved story. It can moreover stand alone as a story in itself.

The writing is almost painfully sincere.

Whether 'The Black Dog' needed it is a personal preference. I am not at all sure that it does readers any good to be pampered by the provision of clarification. But you are evidently of a more benevolent nature than I.

But in this case it just doesn't matter. It stands, very successfully, by itself,

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Many thanks

I am a sucker for a good story, and having been intrigued by your description of this posting I found the start of the story and read through all three parts in sequence.

I seem to remember a few typo’s early in the first part (I think) but I was much too busy to note them, so I have to admit failure on my one and only responsibility here.
While my taste in TG fiction tends towards unintended fates, this is a well-written and engaging story. I have to agree that the writing is painfully sincere, and actually brought tears to my eyes at one point.

I am very glad that whatever caused your temporary absence earlier in the year (see I even read that as well!) you decided to continue and added the second part, which in my eyes definitely adds to the story. The last part may be superfluous to some, but I love a really strong hopeful finish, rather than the “make up your own mind” endings, which seem so much in vogue at present.

I also think you could merge them all, but whatever you do thanks for the privilege of sharing the story with me, and I am sure a great many others.

Love & hugs

Debbie

Closure...hmmm

kristina l s's picture
Karen... Um,yes, I do have a few 'issues' with buzz words and PC crap that tries to hide or gloss over something that should be recognised and looked at. Sigh.. sorry ..possible rant. Deep breath. Let me know what you think. Fleurie...thanks, I think...*grin*. You're just a big softy aren't ya. Debbie...typo's..surely you jest. Well, maybe. Temporary absence.. Well... my mood at the time was not 'jolly', a comment and following exchange got a little heated, which hurt. I do not believe there was any vindictiveness involved, just an over-reaction on both sides. Plus a nasty little real life 'kick me around'(emotionally, not literally) which streesed the limit...*shrug*. S**t happens as we all know I'm sure. As for the sequence. I think it possibly works better read in sections. Or maybe 1 + (2 and 3). I'll probably leave it be. Thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate them all. love Kristina

The next day

Nice one Kristina.

It's not exactly a happy ending, but I have to say, I enjoyed the fact that they actually got back together and maybe they'll sort through their differences and who knows? Well I guess you might!

Keep up the good work and I'll mail you soon...

Love'n'hugs,

Nick